New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown III

Elsa

Spoiler
    Show
    Abdul made a strange sign with his hand and muttered something in his own language when Elsa mentioned the undead.

"The living dead," said Valdes, slowly. "Is that an enemy we can even fight?"

"The Iron Company has faced worse enemies than old bones," said Sforza. Abdul looked far from certain.

"Captain, the Iron Company will follow you anywhere," said Carraciolo. "But the marsh, that is bad ground for fighting."

The Captain waved a dismissive hand. "There are plans for another time. For now, we make sure no-one else is getting there first."

He turned to Abdul. "Signora Hildebrand returned with four companions from these ruins. I don't want them or their gold to leave Mirino." He rattled off the names and lodging-places Elsa had told him, and Abdul nodded.

"Herr Schrieber is known to me, Captain. He is the copyist I told you of."

"He is?" Sforza sounded rather uninterested. "Well, that should make it easier to bring him in. Let him know I want to speak to him. The others too."

Turning back to Elsa, he smiled his wolfish smile. "Signora Hildebrand, you have done well to bring me this news. We will speak more of this soon." Reaching across the table, he poured himself another cup of wine. "You are back early, but the men have finished building your quarters in the barrack yard. If you want to move out of that... broom cupboard, yes?... Giovanni will show you the way." Again the smile. "You must be tired."
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

2. - Top - End - #542
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa

Spoiler
    Show
    "Signora Hildebrand returned with four companions from these ruins. I don't want them or their gold to leave Mirino."
    Elsa winced. The others are going to kill me.

"You are back early, but the men have finished building your quarters in the barrack yard. If you want to move out of that... broom cupboard, yes?... Giovanni will show you the way." Again the smile. "You must be tired."
    "Just about to collapse. Thank you for everything," Elsa said neutrally, trying to conceal her suddenly somber mood.

Things had gone both better and worse than she had expected. She had been dreading the Captain's reaction to her role in leading Orfeo to his doom, but it was as if the mercenary's death did not matter in the slightest to Sforza, which was... disquieting. She rose to follow Carraciolo, and finally gathered the will to add:

"Oh, Captain. If Orfeo's family cannot be found, may I request that the gold from my packpack benefit the Iron Company in some way? I'm not sure I could sleep well otherwise."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Bugbear in the Playground

Viggo, Sieghard & Ludo

Spoiler
    Show

Hobbling over to the broken furniture in the corner Viggo shoved his backpack under the table and laid his bow and quiver atop it. If he was going for a stroll back into town he didn't much fancy dragging all his belongings with him.

He grabbed his last pie and followed Sieghard and Ludo out of the door, shutting it behind him. "Hey Ludo!" Crumbs flew from his lips as he spoke "Think we should see about buying a new lock for this door or can we just get some keys?" He knew nothing about how locks and keys worked, except that you turned the key and like magic the door opened. Ludo seems to know a thing or two though.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa

Spoiler
    Show
    Sforza nodded, smiling. "You are not going anywhere, yes? Talk to Abdul about it in the morning."

Leaning back, he clapped his hands and craned his neck in the direction of the kitchen. "Hey!" he called, clearly in a good mood. "Più vino!"

Placing a hand on Elsa's back, Carraciolo steered her out of the dining room. Irene watched her go, eyes slightly hooded. The noblewoman's regard reminded Elsa of a cat, planning out the way it was going to dispose of a mouse.

~

Sforza hadn't lied. The mercenaries had built her a large wooden cabin near the corner of the barrack yard, more spacious by far than the spare room she had been squeezing into back in the palace. It was sparsely furnished so far, but there was already a large writing-desk, a set of bookshelves, a brick hearth - and wonder of wonders, a real bed. A big one, too. Linen sheets were in short supply out here in the borders, but the mattress had been piled high with animal furs, more than making up for their absence.

"We hope it is to your liking, signora," said Carraciolo, with a slight bow of his head. "If there is anything more you are needing for, Abdul will see to it."

Sieghard, Viggo & Ludo.

Spoiler
    Show
    Heading back down into the town, the three of them were approaching Krucke's when they heard the old man's peevish voice. It was unlike him to venture outside.

"...Don't you dusky buggers understan' plain Reikspiel? I haven't seen him! He's off on one of his jaunts, is where he is, and Sigmar knows when he'll come back." A pause. "Comprendee? Not at home."

Turning the corner, they saw who he was talking to. Two of Al-Makir's men were standing on the old man's doorstep. Although Krucke was fairly red in the face from explaining, neither of them seemed about to leave...
    Last edited by LCP; 2014-07-29 at 02:14 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

5. - Top - End - #545
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard stopped when he heard the shouting. "Maybe the taxman just wants more work done..." Even as he said it, his head filled with other reasons Al-Makir might be seeking Adelbert. He took a step back around the corner.

Elsa could be trusted to keep quiet, but Cesar was another story and Sforza's men already knew where to find Adelbert... It had been the whole reason he slipped away. He wasn't about to approach without knowing for sure what the men were after... He just hoped they hadn't already been seen.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sit back and listen to what Al-Makir's men have to say for now.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2014-07-29 at 04:27 PM.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo, Sieghard, Viggo
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ludo couldn't really remember the time he'd last slept.

"Adelbert is away at the moment- I believe he's searching for a friend, one of the sheperds? Or their children? He was hiring an apprentice. Is there anything I can help you with while he's gone?" His "salesman voice" was more than a little strained. "Anything at all?"

7. - Top - End - #547
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo, Sieghard & Viggo

Spoiler
    Show
    Krucke and the two Arabyans looked down at Ludo, their altercation brought to a dead halt.

"Al qassiri," murmured one to the other. Nodding, his companion turned to face Ludo square on, one hand resting on the pommel of the falchion at his belt.

"Ludo Stubbs?" he asked. "You travel with the wizard woman?"
    Last edited by LCP; 2014-07-29 at 05:01 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

8. - Top - End - #548
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa

Spoiler
    Show
    Elsa arched a puzzled eyebrow at Irene before exiting the room.

What's the matter with you? Does my mere presence offend you somehow?

"Aaah, nice," said Elsa appreciatively at the sight of her new room. "I could use a bucket of hot water, some soap, and a rag or sponge. After that I'll be sleeping for a while." She sat down wearily on the bed. "Remind me, in how many days is the festival?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo vs the Slaaneshi Grey Seers
    Spoiler
    Show
    "On occasion, yes." Ludo said, trying not to sound too wary. "Is something wrong?"

10. - Top - End - #550

Sieghard, Ludo & Viggo

Spoiler
    Show

Viggo quickly followed Sieghard's example and did his best to slip back around the corner without being seen by the two Arabyans. Before he knew it Ludo was off down the street talking to the pair of them. "Gods! What's he bloody doing?!" Viggo whispered fiercely. "We should go." He shook his head at the Halfling's lack of caution. "Should we go, can we go?" Viggo disliked the idea of just leaving Ludo to his fate. "I wonder what the buggers want?"

11. - Top - End - #551
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo & co.

Spoiler
    Show
    "On occasion, yes." Ludo said, trying not to sound too wary. "Is something wrong?"
    "The Captain wants to see you," said the soldier, slowly, as he laboriously made sense of Ludo's Reikspiel. "You come with us to the palace."

"Where are the others?" asked the second man. "Your... " - he searched for a moment for the right word, then gave up. "Friends."

Elsa

Spoiler
    Show
    The jaw of Sforza's lieutenant tightened just a little. Perhaps he'd been talking about additional furniture rather than offering his services as a manservant.

"Remind me, in how many days is the festival?"
    "It is on Martedi," said Carraciolo. He paused. "Ah, I am sorry. You say, it is on, ah... Marktag."

With a stiff little bow, he let himself out.
    Last edited by LCP; 2014-07-30 at 12:03 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

12. - Top - End - #552
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo etc
    Spoiler
    Show
    Uncomfortably aware of how far behind him Sieghard and Viggo were, Ludo changed tack. "I don't know. I left them at Marek's bar, but I'm not sure where they went after that."

He raised an eyebrow. "What does the captain want with me?"

OOC: If asked, he'll go quietly.

13. - Top - End - #553
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    "Where are the others? Your... Friends."

"Yes, we should go." If Sforza was looking for them - All of them - Then it could only be because of the gold. It certainly didn't take him very long. He doubted they would do anything to actually hurt Ludo, and he couldn't think of anything he could do to intervene that wouldn't just make the situation worse. It was reason enough to leave.

Besides, if the halfling had been careless enough to walk right up to the soldiers, he wasn't sure that Ludo wouldn't point them directly to where the two of them were standing.

14. - Top - End - #554

Viggo & Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show

"Well let's bloody go then!" Viggo went to tug at Sieghard's sleeve to hurry him up but deciding against it, instead he flapped a hand in the direction of the Inn. "They're bound to go looking for us in the Chalice next I'd bet."

He gulped loudly as a realisation dawned on him, when he spoke his voice moved up an octave. "Sieghard! That's where you've left all your gold!" he started to jog in the direction of the inn, as fast as his wounded leg would allow. "What if they get to it before we do?"

15. - Top - End - #555
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    "Calm down," Sieghard said, not very calm himself. "They're not going to search every room. Even if they do, they said they wanted to find us. They didn't mention the gold... The soldiers might not know about it."

Of course, saying this didn't stop Sieghard from making his way to the Chalice as quickly as he could. Avoiding the soldiers would mean nothing if he was wrong and when he came back for it, the gold was gone.

16. - Top - End - #556

Sieghard & Viggo

Spoiler
    Show

"Calm down," Sieghard said, not very calm himself. "They're not going to search every room. Even if they do, they said they wanted to find us. They didn't mention the gold... The soldiers might not know about it.
    "Oh, and you're willing to bet that pack of gold you nearly died for on that are you?" Viggo grumbled as he limped along in Sieghards wake. "We should have slipped off with Adelbert whilst we had the chance is what we should have done."

Viggo could feel exhaustion creeping up on him, he'd hardly slept at all for the last few days and now his evening stroll had turned into this. "What if Ludo tells them about the cottage too? Is it safe to stay there the night do you think?"

17. - Top - End - #557
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard & Viggo

Spoiler
    Show
    "If Ludo says even one word about that, I'll force him back into the ruins and not let him leave until he's replaced every coin."

18. - Top - End - #558
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa
    Spoiler
    Show
    The jaw of Sforza's lieutenant tightened just a little. Perhaps he'd been talking about additional furniture rather than offering his services as a manservant.
    "You know what, forget it," said Elsa hurriedly. "I'll bathe later at the inn."

She lay down on the bed for a long, long nap.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Which day of the week are we in-game?

I'm okay with pausing here in order to keep the timelines in sync.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

19. - Top - End - #559
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo

Spoiler
    Show
    The two soldiers exchanged some words in Arabyan, and one of them left, hurrying purposefully in the direction of the main street. The other stayed behind.

"What does the captain want with me?"
    "That is for the Captain to say," said the Arabyan. "He wants to see you now."

Sieghard & Viggo

Spoiler
    Show
    Heading to the Chalice at a quick march, Sieghard and Viggo were almost at the doors when the doors opened. Three Arabyan mercenaries shuffled out into the gathering evening, Marek's apologies floating after them.

As Sieghard and Ludo hesitated, a shout came from behind them. Looking round, they saw one of the two men who had been speaking to Ludo approaching from behind. Breaking into a jog to catch up with them, he raised a hand - both to get the pair's attention, and to tell them to stay where they were.

The three mercenaries outside the Chalice looked round at the sound - and their eyes immediately fixed on Viggo. It seemed they too had recognised him... just one of the disadvantages of plying the entertainer's trade in a one-minstrel town like Mirino.
    Last edited by LCP; 2014-07-31 at 06:19 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

20. - Top - End - #560
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard glared murderously at Viggo. In the absence of anyone else to blame, he was determined to find a way to make this the minstrel's fault.

Annoyance still clear on his face, he turned to the approaching soldier "You're keeping me from my drink. What do you want?"

21. - Top - End - #561
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ludo shrugged. "Lead the way."

Whether following or leading, he walked with the Arabyan to the palace. A pink haze of exhaustion was descending, and the clever plans that would normally have been forming in his head seemed distant and half-formed.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Titan in the Playground

SiegVig

Spoiler
    Show
    "You're keeping me from my drink. What do you want?"
    "You are Sieghard, yes?" asked the Arabyan, slowing to a walk as he reached them. "And Viggo the musician?"

The other three were approaching now.

"The Captain wants to see you. At the palace."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

23. - Top - End - #563
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    "Never heard of him," Sieghard replied, already trying to think of a false name. "As for this one, he hasn't told me his name yet. Just met him on the street and he started telling me a story -" It involved your mother and a pair of goats "- I said I'd buy him a drink if he told the rest."

24. - Top - End - #564

Vighard

Spoiler
    Show

Viggo wilted somewhat noticeably under Sieghard's stern gaze, his cheeks paling as the blood drained from his face. He'd seen that look in the gruff mercenary's eyes before. It normally goes with a threat to do something horrible to me!

"And Viggo the musician?"

"Viggo the ... Magnificent. Not musician. It's Viggo The Magnificent"
    Viggo corrected the Arabyan, with a flourish of his tattered cloak. It was obvious these chaps recognised him. Not much point denying who I am. He listened to Sieghard's denial before attempting to help with the deception.

"It's about time the Capitano invited me to his palace!" He said with a hasty grin. "I shouldn't be wasting my time telling stories to strangers I meet in the street. No doubt he wants to talk about hiring me for the Mitterfruhl celebrations eh?" He gave Sieghard a gentle push in the direction of the Chalice's door. "You'll have to buy me that drink later. No point bothering this chap, I doubt the Capitano wants you to drag every stranger I've told a story to along with me." He told the Arabyan's, his friendly open grin firmly fixed in place.

OOC

Spoiler
    Show

I'll do a quick Charm Test just in case you want one!

Fel 38 - (1d100)[45]

25. - Top - End - #565
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard & Viggo

Spoiler
    Show
    The Arabyan squinted at the two of them, clearly suspicious of Sieghard's story. Perhaps it was the way their clothes were still caked in the dust of the trail, or the fact that they both still bore their injuries from the ruins. The only way they'd just met was if they'd got into a pretty serious fight.

"I think both of you come," he said. "Now, please."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

26. - Top - End - #566

Sieggo

Spoiler
    Show

Viggo shrugged helplessly at Sieghard and rolled his eyes. "If you say so, but I hardly think the Capitano will be happy with you trooping every undesirable you happen across into his court, just because they happened to be in my company?" He winked in what he hoped was a camaraderie fashion at the Arabyan. "I've heard that the Capitano hates having his time wasted. But you'd know that better than me I suppose, so if you think that dragging this poor fellow along with us for no good reason wont anger him..." Viggo trailed off, hoping the fear of their Captain's wrath might give them second thoughts about insisting Sieghard accompany them.

OOC

Spoiler
    Show

Despite his trying to get Sieghard off the hook, Viggo will of course not be putting up a struggle and will go to the palace, albeit not quietly as he has plenty to moan about!

And just in case the previous Charm Test had any effect on them and secretly Viggo was just a hairs width away from convincing them I will roll again!

FEL 38 - (1d100)[12]

27. - Top - End - #567
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard & Viggo

Spoiler
    Show
    Viggo's words seemed to give the mercenary pause. It certainly wouldn't go well for him if he brought Sforza the wrong man - and presumably let the real quarry get away. While he hesitated, the other three approached from behind, backing him up.

"Alright," he said, slowly. "You say he is not this man Sieghard?" Another pause. "I count to three, you both answer. What's his name?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

28. - Top - End - #568
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    "Wolfgang," Sieghard said without bothering to let the man count. "I told you I just met him and he didn't have a chance to tell me his name yet. What makes you think I told him mine?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Perhaps it was the way their clothes were still caked in the dust of the trail, or the fact that they both still bore their injuries from the ruins. The only way they'd just met was if they'd got into a pretty serious fight.
    Can't do much about the dust, but if it's worth anything, Sieghard never actually took any wounds in the ruins.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard & Viggo

Spoiler
    Show
    One of the mercenaries behind them came around the side, speaking to the man who'd tried to catch them out. Perhaps they didn't see the point of his games - either way opinions seemed divided as they spoke in rapid Arabyan.

"We are looking for Empire man," said a third. "Wolf...gang is Empire name."

The first soldier nodded. "You will come with us, please. If you are not this man we look for, the Captain will let you go."

He looked to the others. "Rabi! Rahim!" A rapid exchange of instructions followed, and two of the other mercenaries broke off. It looked as though they were going to keep looking.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

30. - Top - End - #570
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard sighed. "Fine."

It had been worth trying. If there hadn't been so many soldiers that they could drag him off and still keep looking, it might've worked.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2014-08-01 at 10:11 AM.