New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown III

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    Running for the next cottage, Adelbert heard the voices grow louder as they rounded the corner of the inn. Crouching for the moment in the cover of a stack of wicker baskets, he watched as they came into sight. Immediately he recognised Oseye, Etunu, and the scar-faced woman he had seen with them in the Chalice. Two more Southlanders, strangers to him, were with them.

They didn't seem to have seen him, heading instead to the back of the [i}Rooster[/i] where he had fallen. Seizing his chance, he turned and fled uphill, hugging the shadow of the village as closely as he could.

When he reached the edge of the houses, there was still no hue and cry behind him. Daring to look back over his shoulder, he saw no pursuit.

The ground leading up to the mine was broken and rough, but the scattered stones and boulders gave him some minimal cover as long as he stayed off the dirt road that led up there. Approaching the pit, he saw that Sermena's halflings had already begun their day's work. A couple of the little people sat smoking outside the mine entrance, while another cajoled a pit pony into the light, hauling a cartful of ore behind it.

There were three entrances to the mines, all opening onto the same muddy shelf of land. The halflings hadn't seen him yet, but if he crossed the open ground to one of the shafts they certainly would.

Mirino

Spoiler
    Show
    "Give it away?" scoffed Barbaro. He seemed mystified by Ludo's plan. "Who is this priestess? Priestess of what?"

Sforza seemed less incredulous. "Wherever this book is now," he said softly, "it is not in Last Water. The people here have little use for books." He leaned forwards in his chair. "If we were to look for this thing... we would have to look outside my realm. The lands of the other princes, these are places my soldiers cannot go. Who would you have me send?"
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

2. - Top - End - #632
    Titan in the Playground

Mirino, Mirino, So Good They Named It Mirino
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ludo turned to Barbaro, and smiled, happy to clear up any misunderstandings the senile old whoremonger might have picked up. "Her name was Meskhenet, and she was a priestess of Nehekhara, one of the false gods"- he held no religious beliefs, but the phrase stung a little to say- "Worshipped in this region before civilization arrived. She cast the spell that made the dead walk, but it trapped her in life too. If we take the book to her, she can break the spell."

He thought about Sforza's request for a moment, stroking his chin. "I'm sure there are soldiers loyal to you who have the sense not to wear their allegiances on their caps where it would be unwelcome. Perhaps these gentlemen-" he gestured to Al'Makir, and the soldiers "- could make suggestions. Alternately, hire someone else. There must be unaffiliated mercenaries around. They don't need to know everything, only that you'll pay for their discretion."

He paused, weighing his chances. "Or us. I'd like to volunteer." He tried not to too openly study Sforza's face as he plowed on. "I don't officially work for you, so nobody would suspect it was anything more than a crazy halfling with a lust for trinkets. You could send somebody to accompany me, if you wanted to be sure I wouldn't simply sell this to someone else- and who would believe me? And why would I?" He forced himself to laugh. "I'm going to have a considerable amount of gold stored here. More than I could get elsewhere with rumours of treasure in the swamps. Keep it as a hostage."

"Even if you don't send me,"
    he added, "send someone. I think I know where to start looking, too."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lets charm the crap out of them: (1d100)[80] vs 48

Fortune (1d100)[73] Ouch. Here's hoping the last good one helped.

Assists would be very welcome.
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2014-08-13 at 01:38 PM.

3. - Top - End - #633
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Adelbert Screiber

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert considered his options. He could throw himelf on the mercy of the Halflings, claiming to be a refugee, which was technically true. Very risky but he doubted he had much choice if he was to go into the mines.

He scannned his surroundings, wondering if there was a way around the mines and into open country, away from the village.

4. - Top - End - #634
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    From his position overlooking the mines, it wasn't far to where the desert road cut up through the hills. If he could get over the rise, he would have the crater wall and all its windswept crags to conceal him - but his flight from the inn had denied him any chance to replenish his supplies of food and water. The prospect of facing the Pale Waste without them was daunting to say the least.

Mirino

Spoiler
    Show
    Barbaro shook his head, spreading his hands. "The halfling speaks madness," he said, looking to his fellow advisers for support. "He wants us to find this book of blasphemies, and give it straight back to the dead things we need it to destroy!"

"Nehekhara is not the name of a god," said Al-Makir, much more calmly. "It is the name of the great kingdom to the south, which today you call the Land of the Dead. Its rivers run with poison and its fields are dust on the desert wind." He looked to Sforza, a strong note of caution in his voice. "Captain, there is no profit in the art of Nehekhara. Only death."

"Profiting from death is our business, Abdul," said Sforza equanimously in reply. "If this book is out there, I would rather seize it than let one of my rivals find it for themselves." A half-smile crossed his face. "They may not have advisers as wise as you."

Abdul still looked uneasy. "When the doctor returns, he will agree with me," he said. "No good can come of this book."

Sforza waved a hand to indicate the matter was closed. The mention of Bianco seemed to have soured his mood just a fraction.

"I like you, Signor Stubbs," he said. "You are bold. Unlike your father." The Captain flashed his teeth in an amused smile. "That is the name, yes? The Sermena Stubbs. I have just... one problem. The man I send, he must be a man I trust."

Leaning back in his chair, he kept his eyes on Ludo, scrutinising his face.

"So tell me... the man who returned with you from the ruins, Signor Schreiber. Where is he?"
    Last edited by LCP; 2014-08-13 at 02:13 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

5. - Top - End - #635

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Spoiler
    Show
    As attractive as slipping away without being seen at all was Adelbert was realist enough to know that would most likely result in his death. Better to try the mines.

Standing up he walked over towards the halflings, his hands raised pacifically. In Tilean he said: <"Do any of you speak Tilean my friends?">

6. - Top - End - #636
    Titan in the Playground

Mirino
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ludo tensed. This was a test, and he suspected that his answer wasn't the only aspect of it; he resisted the urge to turn to Elsa or Sieghard for help.

Ludo Lightfoot! Who found the book of something, and ended the reign of something else!
    Ludo Stonethrower! The greatest hero who ever lived!

"...Adelbert didn't believe that you wouldn't take his share of the gold away from him. He went west, through the cliffs around the city. I think he meant to return soon. His business is here, and he was taking an apprentice."

Not a lie. Not really. It was all technically true, and hid the most important fact. If anything, it was positively supportive.

His stomach still churned with guilt though.

Ludo Stubbs! Sold out one of his best friends for a thin chance at glory!
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2014-08-13 at 02:29 PM.

7. - Top - End - #637
    Titan in the Playground

Mirinoh no you didn't

Spoiler
    Show
    Sforza nodded slowly and turned to Carraciolo. After a curt exchange in Tilean, the commander of pike turned and left the hall.

"Well," said the Captain, turning back to Ludo. "I can hardly blame a man for wanting to hold on to his gold." And that seemed to be that. "So tell me now - where is this place you would start looking?"

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    One of the halflings removed his pipe from his mouth and looked up at Adelbert, furrowing his bushy brows. As well as eyebrows that looked like mating caterpillars, the halfling had truly impressive sideburns.

<I have a small piece of one Tilean> he said in slow, reluctant Tilean. <I am not speaking him very often.>
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

8. - Top - End - #638
    Titan in the Playground

Mirino

Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard watched in silence as Ludo spoke, already dreading what the halfling was dragging them into. When he said where Adelbert had gone, his expression changed to mixed shock and disgust.

"The book has been missing for many years," Sieghard said, trying to change the subject. "If it can be found, then maybe it can be used to stop the dead men, but I wouldn't make my plans around having it. The thing might not even be in the Reaches anymore... If the years haven't rotted it away."

9. - Top - End - #639

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Spoiler
    Show
    Of course... Adelbert thought to himself. He sighed and switched to Reikspiel.

"It is okay I speak Reikspiel. My name is... uh, actually maybe it is better I don't tell you that, better for you too. I desperately need your help; some of Sforza's hired goons are searching for me in the village. They think I owe them money, money I don't have. I'm two thirds dead but I'd rather not make it three thirds. Can I hide in your mine for a day or so until they move on?"

10. - Top - End - #640
    Titan in the Playground

I MiriNO, Right?
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Adelbert is honest!" Ludo urged as Carraciolo left. "He doesn't mean anything by it! And nobody would believe him if he said."

"It was magical," he added to Sieghard, "and she told us to destroy it. If it could have rotted, she wouldn't have needed to say that."

The weight settled in his stomach, and he slumped back. "The first thing I'd do is ask around. The theif who took it probably came through here, so I would ask some questions, see if anyone remembers anyone trying to sell a very strange, very old book." He shrugged despondently. "I doubt the theif took it at random- and left all the gold- but it's possible they didn't know what they had. Gill, in Sermena, has the longest memory, so I'd make a point of asking him. Perhaps we should ask questions at the festival- people will come from all around to be here, you can speak to people from all the little villages."

He noted dully that the festival didn't seem such an enchanting prospect as it had a few days ago.

"But if you want me to guess where it is now? I suspect Alvarran. There are worshippers of Nahorek, a jackal-god there. When we mentioned them to the priestess, she was horrified. I think Nahorek was a dark god of some kind, a rival to the southeners. If anybody had reason to seek it out specifically, it would be them. They might at least know where it is."

It wasn't seeming as fun to think about now. All his clever ideas didn't sparkle in his head so much.

11. - Top - End - #641
    Titan in the Playground

Mirino

Spoiler
    Show
    "Adelbert is honest!" Ludo urged as Carraciolo left. "He doesn't mean anything by it! And nobody would believe him if he said."
    Valdes smirked amusedly at Ludo's protestations. "They will believe the gold in his pack," said the Estalian.

"We knew Signor Schreiber was missing yesterday," said Sforza, still calm. "Last night, I sent Makeda to Caerfort with twenty of her warriors. Another five I sent to Sermena, and another five to Isolici." He shrugged. "They will not hurt him if he does not fight."

"But if you want me to guess where it is now? I suspect Alvarran."
    Sforza's face darkened at the mention of Alvarr's stronghold. He sat for some time in silence, his playful manner evaporating entirely.

"We have nothing to fear from Alvarr," murmured Barbaro, leaning in close. "He has no wizards. We do."

"We should ask Bianco's opinion about this," said Valdes, more warily. "He is a learned man."

Sforza remained silent. At last, he rose from his chair, walking a few steps from his advisers and staring intently at the wall.

"Signora Hildebrand," he said. "You said to me you could sense this book if it was close. Is that true?"

His gaze turned back to Ludo.

"I am inclined to accept your offer, Signor Stubbs. We will wait until the festival is done, then you will show my men the way to these ruins. After that, we will speak of this... how do you say? Goose chase." His eyes strayed to Sieghard and Viggo. "Do these gentlemen come with you?"

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    The other pipe-smoking halfling visibly quailed. Eyebrows deepened his frown.

"Trouble with Sforza's men isn't trouble we want here," he said, his voice surprisingly deep for a halfling. "You can go in, but if they come asking where you are I won't lie to 'em."
    Last edited by LCP; 2014-08-13 at 03:26 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

12. - Top - End - #642
    Titan in the Playground

Mirino
    Spoiler
    Show
    Only mollified a little by Sforza's promise. Ludo turned to Viggo and Sieghard too. "If they want to. There's nobody i'd rather have with me."

The look on Sieghards face suggested the sentiment was not reciprocated.

13. - Top - End - #643
    Titan in the Playground

Mirino

Spoiler
    Show
    "I could be convinced to," Sieghard replied, sure that Sforza would get the implication.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2014-08-13 at 04:04 PM.

14. - Top - End - #644

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert looked grim, but truthfully he didn't blame them. "I understand, and thank you for that at least. I see my friend Ludo comes from good stock." He paused a long moment, thinking. "Is one of you Elmwit? Old Gill told me he is going north and I must send a message on to Alvarann... even if I am caught."

15. - Top - End - #645
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    "No," said the bushy-browed overseer, flatly. "Elmwit don't work the mine."

Mirino

Spoiler
    Show
    Sforza glanced at Abdul. Abdul looked reluctant.

"...Of course," he said, "if you were to find this book, you would share in the rewards." A pause. "If you were to find it."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

16. - Top - End - #646

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Spoiler
    Show
    Secretly Adelbert had been hoping the mention of 'Ludo' would made the difference. He tried to keep the devestated disapointment from his face.

"Okay, but he is delivering ore right? Could one of you pass on my letter to him? I'll pay with what gold I have."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Charm test: (1d100)[94] vs. 18(!)

17. - Top - End - #647
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    The halflings looked at each other, then back to Adelbert.

"How much gold is that?" said the gruff one.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

18. - Top - End - #648
    Titan in the Playground

Oh MiriYES I did

Spoiler
    Show
    "And if the book is nowhere to be found? Or had been destroyed?" Sieghard asked. "Surely you wouldn't expect your soldiers to fight for you for the promise of rewards only when your rivals in the Reaches are no more. There's dangers on the road and expenses in traveling it."

19. - Top - End - #649
    Titan in the Playground

Mirino

Spoiler
    Show
    "Then you will be paid for your time, as a soldier of the Iron Company," said Sforza with an authoritative tone. "This is more than fair."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

20. - Top - End - #650

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert nearly wept. Instead, he opened his pack and poured out what was left his money: 39 gold crowns, 5 schillings and 12 pfennigs. After a moment of private pain he slid all the gold across to the halflings, and took back schillings and coppers...

"All I have. I need the schillings and coppers for food." The scribe said, his colouring pale and voice distant.

This is it. I am ruined. He thought to himself. I bled for that gold, fled my home for that gold and now I lost it all.

21. - Top - End - #651
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    The halfling who had seemed nervous at the mention of Sforza's goons now boggled wide-eyed at Adelbert's gold. Eyebrows just took another puff on his pipe.

"That's a fair amount of gold," he said, his voice matter-of-fact. "You have the letter?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

22. - Top - End - #652

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert pulled out the carefully coded message he had worked on before but never had had time to send:

Your Grace,

The Tilean is surrounded by mercenaries, far more than needed to keep his throne. War is coming and soon though I know not in which direction. Amongst his men are Tileans, Estalians, Arabyans and barbarian warrior women of the Southlands, along with a half dozen ogres. Pikes, crossbowmen and swords.

I run a business as a scribe in Mirino and the Tilean's tax collector has hired me to work his documents. I shall send more word soon.

Adelbert
    Last night he had hastily added an addendum, also in code, in the guise of a copious footnote:

Was part of an expedition to ruins in two to three days east of Mirino, just off road to Caerfort on edge of Brackenmere. Found much gold, guarded by scores of undead soldiers. Send very well trained men to ruins as soon as possible. Sforza likely now knows of gold, does not know you will know. Repeat send well equiped expedition as soon possible.

My life is in danger, but if I live I will send you more information. By the time you read this I will be in Mirino at my scribes shop or in Morr's realm, but come what may your name will never be mentioned.
    -Adelbert.

P.S. Do not trust the cult of Nahorek.
    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I hope you don't mind me adding to the message 'last night'. Adelbert was planning on delivering the letter to Elmwit in the morning anyway.

23. - Top - End - #653
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    Tucking the letter inside his rock dust covered jerkin, the halfling gave Adelbert a nod.

"We'll see he gets it," he said. Extinguishing his pipe, he glanced down the slope towards the village. "You might want to be getting yourself out of sight now."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

24. - Top - End - #654

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert didn't answer but was already heading into one of the mine shafts.

25. - Top - End - #655
    Titan in the Playground

Mirino

Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard nodded but said nothing more. He had no clue what an Iron Company soldier was paid, but after their dealings with the senile old whoremonger, he was in no rush to do any work for Sforza or his men without some sort of guaranteed pay.

26. - Top - End - #656
    Bugbear in the Playground

Mirino

Spoiler
    Show

Viggo only just managed to stop himself from grabbing at Ludo as the Halfling took it upon himself to tell tale on Adelbert. Instead he satisfied himself with a grimace and a disappointed shake of his head. He'd heard that the small folk often had trouble holding their tongues but this was ridiculous, Viggo had thought that Ludo and the scribe were friends. I thought we were! Another rueful shake of his head, Shows how much that means to Ludo.

He was about to politely turn down the opportunity to find himself an early grave, in search of some cursed book that was probably guarded by an army of corpses, when Sieghard piped in with a request for pay. Coin is coin after all as Uncle Gofter always used to say. Besides Alvarran is hardly as dangerous as where I've just come back from!

Viggo essayed a quick bow and a flourish of his cape in the direction of Sforza, when he spoke his voice seemed more refined than usual, "I'm a minstrel by trade my Lord, but if my friends are willing to enter into your service on this matter then so can I." A grin flashed across his face. "But as you say, all of this can wait until after the festival eh? I have a lot of gold to spend," He gave his bulging money pouch a heft, "Ale to drink, songs to sing and stories to tell!" Viggo paused briefly, his grin disappearing "The right type of story of course, none of this... affair. Which is a shame. It made for a grand tale, that's for sure."
    Last edited by Northern Lad; 2014-08-14 at 10:43 AM.

27. - Top - End - #657
    Titan in the Playground

Mirino

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by LCP View Post
    "The lands of the other princes, these are places my soldiers cannot go. Who would you have me send?"
    Elsa spoke up. "The book had an overwhelmingly powerful aura. I know it, because I could feel it on the lectern where it used to sit, even though it was gone for perhaps a very long time; it was like a stench. I'm sure I could detect the book from a long distance. If you'd rather keep me around Mirino for other duties, we could simply find people under your service who have Aethyric sensitivity... For every spellcaster out there, there are dozens of people with some limited ability to sense magic. I think even a sliver of magical sense would be more than sufficient to feel the aura of that book."

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lad View Post
    "I'm a minstrel by trade my Lord, but if my friends are willing to enter into your service on this matter then so can I."
    Sigmar preserve us, thought Elsa, rubbing her forehead.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

28. - Top - End - #658
    Titan in the Playground

Mirino

Spoiler
    Show
    "There will be no need for that, signora," said Sforza. "I see no reason you cannot accompany Signor Stubbs on his search. With your skills, it should be concluded quickly, no?"

The Captain snapped his fingers, and his underlings swiftly rolled up the map of the region of the region. "There remains only the matter of the gold. As my friend has told you," - he gestured to Abdul - "here, it is my custom to take one coin in ten. However, since you have brought us this news of the ruins... the crown of Mirino will safeguard the rest of your gold, for no added charge."

Abdul's page boy came scuttling up, bearing a chair for his master. Abdul took a seat and motioned for the three guests to come forwards, while Sforza looked poised to leave.

"We will speak again soon, signori," said the Captain. He fixed Viggo with a glance. "It would be a wise minstrel who kept this grand tale to himself."

His eyes strayed to Elsa, and he beckoned for her to follow. "Signora Hildebrand. Walk with me, please."

As he made to go, Abdul smiled and motioned for the others to bring their packs forward and begin the counting-out.

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    The air inside the mine was tepid and stale. Moisture dripped from the rough-hewn walls of rock, beading on the timber supports that propped up the roof. Trying to push down his recent memories of such subterranean spaces, Adelbert pressed on, down into the dark.

Passing tools, empty carts and baskets of spoil, he secreted himself in a spur of one of the lower passages. Making his best effort at concealment, he settled in to wait.

And wait.

And wait.

It was difficult to measure the passage of time beneath the ground. By the time he heard footsteps coming his way, the tedium had become almost as bad as the growing hunger in his belly. Still he froze, listening to the footfalls come closer.

Just one pair of feet. Lurking in the shadows, he began mentally sizing up his chances of rushing one of the Southlanders, if he caught them unawares. He remembered Makeda, and the skull of the reptilian thing that was mounted above their barrack-house. The odds didn't seem favourable.

The walker cleared their throat and spoke in Reikspiel. It wasn't the Southlanders - it was the halfling overseer.

"Hello?" he called, still managing to sound surprisingly unconcerned. "You can come out now. They're gone."
    Last edited by LCP; 2014-08-14 at 06:22 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

29. - Top - End - #659
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    How kind of you to not charge us for the great service of taking away our money.

Reluctantly, Sieghard began pulling handfuls of coins out of his pack and stacking them on the ground in front of him. As he did, his eyes never left Al-Makir. "I will be needing some money as well," he said, examining one of the coins from his growing pile. "There are a few things I need to buy and these are rather distinct. I'm sure the Captain would prefer no one else see them. For the time being at least."
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2014-08-14 at 06:49 PM.

30. - Top - End - #660

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert knew of course there was a chance he was about to walk straight into the arms of the waiting Southlanders but he also knew he didn't have much choice; if he had been betrayed, they'd only come in after him anyway.

He stood up and walked out with great dignity (having checked the height of the mine before standing up; he didn't want to spoil the effect by cracking his head on the ceiling.)