New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown III

Having let go of Elsa, Viggo had no difficulty in finding dance partners – the young women of Mirino were practically tripping over one another in their eagerness to dance with the young minstrel in the colourful clothes. As he was whisked away by a dark-haired girl of strikingly curvaceous good looks – he didn't catch her name but he took her for some local farmer's daughter – he caught a glimpse of Natasa standing alone at the edge of the crowd. In the next moment, the excitement carried him away and out of sight.

Ludo too joined in the dancing with a will. After being spun in circles by a succession of laughing human women, who seemed to find dancing with a halfling tremendous fun, he found himself face-to-face with Eena Tumblebright. For once she wasn't covered in rock dust, although her clothes still made her seem rather drab compared to the finery of some of the dancers.

“Ludo!” she exclaimed, eyes widening like saucers. She practically had to shout to be heard over the music and the stamping of human feet. “I didn't know you were here too!”

The dance carried them around a half-turn of the circle before she got the opportunity to speak again.

“How did it go?” she asked, with evident fascination. “Your... business with the captain?”

Only Adelbert had no luck. Perhaps it was his reticence to ask anyone, or perhaps it was that he'd crowned Nuri and people assumed his interests lay there. Nuri's position on the throne didn't seem to allow her to join the dancing – she just watched, smiling and agreeing to Barbaro's various sallies into conversation. As such, Adelbert was left standing on the periphery, watching the dancers go by.

~

Day gave way to sunset, and sunset gave way to dusk. Fires were lit to replace the fading light, and the dancers moved away from the great pole, its trailing ribbons now thoroughly wrapped around it.

As the children were ushered away to bed, the character of the celebrations changed. With all the food the captain had laid on picked clean, people began to drink in greater quantities. Loud Tilean voices could be heard drifting across the field where Sforza's soldiers were mingling, and the ladies of the Serpent began to prowl among the crowd, emerging from the shadows as if they had been there all along. Considering the incident with Nuri earlier, they most likely had been.

Ludo noticed Filomena making cordial conversation with Doctor Bianco – and also spotted Aisha hiding behind a beer barrel until they passed. Fortunately for her that didn't take long – Bianco pointed her towards the stage, and she cut a fairly direct line towards where Nuri sat on her temporary throne.

Sitting alone and disconsolate in his tent, Adelbert was surprised to feel a shadow fall over him as someone approached. Looking up, he saw Fraulein Faber looking down at him.

“Evening, Herr Schreiber,” she said, amicably. “Still on the job? That's dedication.”

She looked around, taking in the untouched ink and parchment.

“Got a job for you, if you want it. If you'd rather join the party, though, it can wait until tomorrow.”

Meanwhile, Viggo's dancing partner from before had towed him away from the revelries to the cover of a drystone wall, where she was now clamping her lips onto his face with startling enthusiasm. By the sound of things, they weren't the only couple taking advantage of the growing darkness – the fields surrounding the fair were full of giggling voices and the dark shapes of people creeping away.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    There are no more phases remaining to the festival: I'm looking to wrap up in a few more posts. Anything your character wants to do that hasn't already got started, you'd best fit it in now.

This is the bit where most of the heavy drinking happens, so if your characters are joining in with that, remember your drinking rolls!
    Last edited by LCP; 2014-10-09 at 01:05 AM.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

2. - Top - End - #932
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert did not bother to hide his gloom. Not only had the party been a bust for him he was actually going to lose money tonight unless Faber's order was truly fantastic - he'd have to pay for the tent and his assisstants and whatever (no doubt heavy) sum Filomenia demanded for Nuri's service.

"What's the job?"

3. - Top - End - #933
    Bugbear in the Playground

Viggo Hirtzel

His cheeks were flushed once again and Viggo's heart was beating even quicker than it had when facing down the skeletal warriors. Of course he'd kissed before, Tali the Strongmans' daughter, they'd been discovered behind the lions cages and both of them had ended up having their bottoms paddled by Old Granny Cilie when they were caught. Live a man, die a boy!

He returned the kiss as passionately as he could, desperately trying to purge the image of his Granny from his mind. "Mmmppft you have...Mmmpft... the most beautiful eyes...mmmpft" He wasn't sure the lass was listening so he threw himself back into the kissing once more.

He'd seen a thing or two in his time at the Serpent and he did he best to hold his amorous partner in the same way he'd seen men of the Iron Company hold the girls. Not the rough ones mind, like the ones that I heard the girls complementing afterwards.

As nervous as he'd ever been and frantically hoping it didn't show, he took the girl by the hand and led her off looking for a reasonably quite spot where they might go undisturbed.

OOC

Spoiler
    Show

Not sure if any more charm tests are required? If not I think I'm happy for you to 'fade to scene of two butterflies kissing' so to speak or whatever takes your fancy! I wouldn't want to intrude into Viggo's and misc Mirino Farmgirls 'special moment' anymore than was decently necessary!

Afterwards Viggo will invite the girl to come with him to Hadil's cottage to sleep / other.
    Last edited by Northern Lad; 2014-10-09 at 05:40 AM.

4. - Top - End - #934
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh, very well indeed." Ludo said, trying to remember the details of his lie. "We're meeting again after the festival, and he might have a bit of business for me."

At this point the dance took them apart, but when they rejoined he smiled brightly at her. "How are things back at home?"

5. - Top - End - #935
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Adelbert
    "What's the job?"
    "We're making a sale to the Captain's man," said Faber, to the point. "The Arabyan, Al-Makir? It'd be good to have it in writing. Happy to cut you in for a crown."

~

Quote Originally Posted by Ludo
    "How are things back at home?"
    "Still the same," said Eena, tracing out the steps of the dance. "You're lucky your da isn't here, he was throwing a fit after you left."

"What kind of business does a man like the captain have with you?"

Ludo could tell he had her by the curiosity.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

6. - Top - End - #936

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert nodded. "I should warn Frau Faber you I am in poor graces with the Captain at the moment, though I very much doubt that will affect whatever deal you are making. Do you want me to accompany you or do you prefer to conduct the deal here? Either is fine with me."

7. - Top - End - #937
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa

The night was too long to spend with a single person. Elsa danced with Sieghard for about half an hour, then went looking for the next suitable partner. She knew from experience that she had the most success with men who were too scared of her to say no, and those who were too proud to turn down a challenge in front of their friends - anyone who fell somewhere in between was not worth trying. As ever, her approach was blunt and imperious:

<"You, there. Yes, you. You will dance with me. No? Why not, you got a partner already? No? Then what's your excuse?">

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure if her style falls under Charm, Command or Intimidate, but it's half Fel (17) in any case, plus possible modifiers for being the scary wizard. More rolls than Viggo, because whenever she fails, she move on to the next target without missing a beat. She won't spend the whole evening with any single man.

(d100)[72]
    (d100)[96]
    (d100)[50]
    (d100)[51]
    (d100)[11]

Edit: Guess she has to wait until people are drunk enough before she finds any success.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2014-10-09 at 10:43 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

8. - Top - End - #938
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Charming and approachable as ever, I see, Elsa he thought, growing more and more amused by Elsa's frustration.

Determined to make the most of the fading light, Sieghard danced with a few of the local girls before coming across Natasa again. "Didn't mean to just disappear like that before," he explained. "Something came up, but it should be taken care of now. Care to dance?"

"I haven't had a chance to introduce you to the others yet. Want to try to find them?" he asked once the sun set and the dancing began to die down. Wandering through the darkness, he made his way to Adelbert's tent. "Still at work, Schreiber? Can you even do that without light? Relax a bit, come drink with us."

Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard still wants to introduce Natasa to Adelbert and Elsa. He also wants to drink (heavily) and encourage the three of them to do the same. Ludo as well if he doesn't have anything he'd rather be doing. Viggo would be welcome to join the fun as well, but by the sound of things he's got his hands rather full at the moment.

For convenience, let's say that Sieghard doesn't go looking for Adelbert until after he finishes his business with Frau Faber.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2014-10-09 at 10:44 PM.

9. - Top - End - #939
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo was surprised to hear that his father hadn't attended, though it wasn't entirely a welcome one. "That's not like him. Is he alright?"

The dance ended, and Ludo pulled Eena aside for a moment before the next one started. The temptation to spill the beans on Sforza's plans- he was the adventurer he'd pretended to be! And he couldn't say! - was nearly overwhelming. "I don't think i'm allowed to say. But it does involve..." he leaned in conspiratorially "...the undead. But don't tell anyone that."

10. - Top - End - #940

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    LCP I'm assuming Faber's business goes relatively smoothly - if not I'll edit!

Adelbert looked gloomy and and tired. He was thinking ahead to the visit Filomena was undoubtedly going to pay him soon and how much that would cost him. The scribe was beginning to wonder if he should have stayed in bed - it might have cost less in the long run and been less humilating.

"Thanks Sieghard but I'm not in the mood right now." Adelbert said. He barely looked up from his parchments where he was adding up his expenses. "Have a good night." He said vaguely, running an ink stained hand through his hair.

He didn't say it but he was expecting (and dreading) the Madame of the Happy Serpent any moment now.

11. - Top - End - #941
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert

"Do you want me to accompany you or do you prefer to conduct the deal here? Either is fine with me."
    "Why don't you come with me," said Faber. "You look like you could use getting out of this tent anyway. Just bring some parchment and ink."

Following Faber across the firelit field, Adelbert came to where three or four of the more senior-looking travellers from Handrich's Cross were seated around a trestle table under one of Marek's awnings. He recognised the bearded man with the pistol who had been there during their conversation about orcs on the road - and he also recognised Abdul.

"Herr Schreiber," said the Arabyan, as civil as ever. "A pleasure to see you."

"Never mind that," said one of the travellers, clearly displeased by the gruff tone of his voice. "You still haven't explained why you're taking less than last year."

"Circumstances change," said Abdul, with natural politesse. "We have stockpiled a good deal of your gold. This year, the captain does not feel the need to convert quite so much of his wealth into metal that will only sit in the ground."

"We need you to draw up an agreement for us, Herr Schreiber," said Faber, sitting down. "Herr Al-Makir has agreed to buy a hundred and twenty ounces of gold from us today, and the same again for the next three years."

"Unless the ownership of Handrich's Cross should change hands," added Abdul with his habitual smile.

Ludo

"I don't think i'm allowed to say. But it does involve..." he leaned in conspiratorially "...the undead. But don't tell anyone that."
    "The undead?" said Eena. She tried to keep her voice down but it came out as a squeak. "What - here in Last Water?"

Sieghard

"Something came up, but it should be taken care of now. Care to dance?"
    "Something came up," echoed Natasa, a little sulkily. "What, like the captain's wizard?"

She watched Elsa as the Altdorfer bullied her way through the crowd.

"She's the one you were talking about?" she said, a little awestruck.

Nevertheless, she eventually consented to dance. When Sieghard suggested making an introduction to the magic-worker and her friends, Natasa was more than happy to tag along.

Elsa

<"You, there. Yes, you. You will dance with me. No? Why not, you got a partner already? No? Then what's your excuse?">
    <Oh!> said the hapless young man Elsa had targeted, the colour going out of his face a little. <Um. Yes. No. I... have to leave now! For a very important... place. Sorry!>

He turned tail and ran as fast as his feet could carry him.

She tried another.

"Me no speaka da Reikspiel," he said, despite the fact that she'd asked in Tilean. He waved his hands in an elaborate pantomime as he edged back out of the crowd. "Is-a very sorry."

And another.

<Another partner? Er, yes, afraid I do. This young...> - he grabbed someone out of the crowd and it turned out to be a young man who looked to be his brother. <...fellow.>

He paused, trying to find another way to wriggle out of it before committing to his bluff.

<We're great friends.>

The two of them danced away hand-in-hand.

She eventually found herself dancing with a shrimpy little fellow who had been too witless to escape. He was clearly petrified, and kept tripping over his own feet in his tremendous efforts not to step on hers.
    Last edited by LCP; 2014-10-09 at 06:39 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

12. - Top - End - #942

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert gave Al-Makir a cold look. "I am here because Frau Faber is paying for my services Al-Makir. Proceed with the details please Frau Faber."

He sat down and drew a piece of parchment, quill and ink.

13. - Top - End - #943
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert

The details of the deal as Faber explained them were relatively simple. Al-Makir, representing Sforza, was to purchase a hundred and twenty ounces of pure gold from the miners of Handrich's Cross, at the price of twelve crowns to an ounce. He was also committing to buy the same amount each Mitterfruhl for the following three years, provided that Handrich's Cross remained under the rule of Grand Commander Evatt, and that Evatt and Sforza remained at peace. The price, however, would be subject to renegotiation each year.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

14. - Top - End - #944

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert drafted the deal without comment or even looking up. After some minutes he finished writing and set down his spent quill, corking his ink bottles. He handed the sheet of parchment (written in Reikspiel in his rather elegant copperplate) to Faber. "Frau Faber I trust everything is order?"

He waited for her to read it, and also to be paid. Assuming she was pleased, he smiled tiredly. "A pleasure Frau Faber. Gentlemen." He gave a polite nod to the Handrich's Cross traders, pointedly ignoring Al-Makir.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm happy to continue this scene if you think Faber and/or Al-Makir has anything to say. Otherwise Adelbert will return to his tent and wait for Filomena (turning down Sieghard's offer to go for drinks mostly because of that.)
    Last edited by RossN; 2014-10-09 at 08:05 PM.

15. - Top - End - #945
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert

"Perfect," said Faber, examining the contract. It seemed she was at least literate then. "Thank you, Herr Schreiber."

Adelbert hadn't quite made it back to his tent when he heard his name again. Looking round with a feeling of inevitable dread, he saw Filomena looking up at him. The flickering firelight made the small scar on her cheek stand out a little more than usual.

"Good evening, Herr Schreiber," she said. "I understand you were the one who gave Nuri the crown."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

16. - Top - End - #946

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Secretly Adelbert had been hoping Al-Makir would plead with him for forgiveness. He didn't think such an outcome likely but he was dismayed the Arabian didn't consider it worth his time to build bridges. He hid it well however.

He didn't bother to hide his unhappiness on seeing Filomena however. The scribe sighed. "I did indeed Frau Filomena. How much do I owe you?" There seemed little point in beating around the bush.

17. - Top - End - #947
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert

"Six schillings," said Filomena, direct and to the point. She squinted at Adelbert's face. "Are you sweet on her?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

18. - Top - End - #948

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert sighed and nodded. He slipped six schillings into the Madame's hand.

At her question he looked at her in astonishment for a moment. "Frau Filomena what can it possibly matter? She doesn't like me and I can't afford her."

19. - Top - End - #949
    Titan in the Playground

Elsabeth Holt

Elsa quickly grew annoyed with her inept dancing partner. <"You're really bad at this. No, this won't do."> She grabbed the shoulder of a nearby young woman who seemed single. <"You. Give my partner some dancing lessons. He's positively hopeless. Thank you, and have a good night.">

Enough dancing for tonight. Dejectedly, she headed back to the barrels of wine, filled a cup and went drinking with the men of the Iron Company.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

20. - Top - End - #950
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert

To Adelbert's surprise, Filomena smiled at his sudden display of backbone.

"It helps to know," she said. "Some men make trouble. But I don't think you are that kind of man."

Hesitating for a moment, she picked out three schillings from the coins in her palm and gave them back.

"There," she said. "Don't look so sad! You made me laugh tonight." She glanced back at the stage. "Did you see her face? Having to sit next to a whore!"

Chuckling to herself, Filomena headed off. Looking back the way she had indicated, Adelbert noticed that Irene's seat was now empty.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

21. - Top - End - #951

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Confused and thoughtful Adelbert pocket his schillings and returned to his tent. After tidying everything away he left for Krucke's attic and his lonely bed.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ready to move on to the morning whenever.

22. - Top - End - #952
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Something came up. What, like the captain's wizard?"

"The captain's taxman actually," Sieghard replied. "Friendly enough man, but I can't help but me reminded of a wolf eyeing sheep whenever he grins."

------

"Thanks Sieghard but I'm not in the mood right now. Have a good night."

Sieghard glanced from Natasa back to Adelbert.

"Suit yourself," he replied, clearly disappointed. "You really need to learn to enjoy yourself though." As he and Natasa walked away, Adelbert overheard him make a joke about Elsa actually knowing how to have fun.

------

"My friend wanted to meet you," Sieghard said, not at all surprised to find Elsa drinking.

23. - Top - End - #953
    Titan in the Playground

Elsabeth Holt

Elsa looked up and blinked at Sieghard, then Natasa. She had only just slumped down into a seat with her cup of wine. "Huh? Um, good evening," she said cautiously, straightening.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

24. - Top - End - #954
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa & Sieghard

Natasa didn't seem to know what to say. For a good while, she just gawped, giving Elsa the chance to get the measure of this friend of Sieghard's.

She just looked like a peasant to Elsa. Her clothes were plain, and despite her attempts to wash them for the festival there was still a slight whiff of goats about her. Still, at least she didn't seem paralysed by terror, which was more than could be said for the young men of Mirino.

"You're really a wizard?" asked Natasa, as if the display earlier hadn't been enough. "I never met a real life wizard before." Her eyes flicked from side to side, as if concerned the captain's men might be about to drag her away for having the temerity to talk to Elsa. "Can you turn people into things?"
    Last edited by LCP; 2014-10-10 at 03:20 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

25. - Top - End - #955
    Titan in the Playground

"You've heard the rumours of strange lights in the swamp?" Ludo asked conspiratorially. "We met them. I killed one with a stone."

26. - Top - End - #956
    Titan in the Playground

Elsabeth Holt

"Can you turn people into things?"

Elsa grinned crookedly. "I can turn people into ashes. That's about the extent of my powers. If you want an ex-lover turned into a frog, you'll have to ask another wizard."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

27. - Top - End - #957
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard laughed and got a drink of his own. "If that's what she's after, I'm sure ashes are good enough. Let me introduce you properly, this is Natasa. Natasa, E- Beatrix"

28. - Top - End - #958
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard & Elsa

"At your service," said Natasa, seeming to think that that was what you had to say to an important person.

She looked across to Sieghard, looking a little perplexed. "So how do you know each other?"

Ludo

"Killed one?" boggled Eena, in the loudest whisper Ludo had ever heard. All these revelations were making her sense of rhythm suffer, and she took a mis-step in the dance. "How many were there?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

29. - Top - End - #959

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

One look at his sleeping quarters had driven Adelbert to skulk back to the festival. He felt bad about turning down Sieghard's offer and frankly felt lonely. He was prepared to have a drink or two though he did not intend to get drunk.

Seeing Sieghard with Elsa and some peasant girl, he hailed the group. "I thought I'd join you for a night cap after all."

30. - Top - End - #960
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"So how do you know each other?"

It took Sieghard a moment to decide how to answer that one. "Well... We met in a village up north after she nearly got me and some others killed by an angry mob." Adelbert appeared before he could tell more of the story.

"I thought I'd join you for a night cap after all."

"Decided to finally start enjoying yourself eh? Grab a seat and a drink then. Natasa, Adelbert. Adelbert, Natasa."
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2014-10-10 at 07:43 PM.