The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown III

Putting aside the blood pouring into his eyes for a second, Ludo hurled himself at the skeleton between himself and Sieghard, swinging Lammenbert's blade like a dervish. As far as he could tell, he got at least one hit in, although he had no idea how much good it was doing.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Firbolg in the Playground

Blood streaming down her face, her head pounding with pain from the backlash of her failed spell, Elsa staggered backwards. She needed to focus if they were to survive this battle, and for this she needed to be more than a spear-length away from the enemy.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Disengage one square north.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

As Elsa broke free, her attacker tried to press forwards after her. Sieghard blocked its path, but as the line of shields advanced Orfeo found himself trapped against the bed. With nowhere left to crawl, the Tilean seemed to find his courage at last.

Pushing himself to his feet, he struck aside a thrusting spear and threw his whole weight forwards against the skeletal warrior's broad shield. Dry bones were no match for the armoured mercenary's weight, and the dead thing pitched back into the pit with a clattering crash.

On the other flank, Cesar put his sword through the ribs of one of the skeletons attacking Viggo. It looked at him as if he had only tapped it politely on the shoulder, then turned on its new enemy. Behind it, its two brothers kept up the pressure on Viggo and Adelbert. Viggo barely avoided being skewered by a pitted spearhead, striking the weapon aside the way Sieghard had taught him.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I heard you like maps.
    Last edited by LCP; 2014-05-12 at 04:42 PM.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ettin in the Playground

Adelbert Schreiber

With a cry of frustration and an appeal to any listening deities Adelbert through caution to the winds and lashed out at the grinning undead before him.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert is going to make an All Out Attack on Skeleton VI.

To hit: (1d100)[24] vs. 56
    To damage: (1d10+3)[12]

5. - Top - End - #155
    Bugbear in the Playground

Viggo Hirtzel

Viggo could feel his right leg beginning to give way beneath him, trembling as the pain lashing through his wounded thigh intensified. To make matters worse blood was now streaming down into his eyes, obscuring his vision. It's just like the Caerfort road all over again!, he thought grimly. He'd been wounded across the scalp that time too.

The terror and horror he'd been experiencing was slowly being replaced by something else. A grim sense of determination. A will to live. Anger, at these twisted nightmares that saw fit to attack perfectly innocent minstrels who had done no wrong and meant no harm to anybody.

Focusing his anger on the back of the skeleton which had turned to attack Cesar, Viggo flung himself at his opponent. Slashing at it ferociously, trying to drive it back towards the edge of the pit.

OOC

Spoiler
    Show

Half Action: Attack Skeleton #8
    Half Action: Manoeuvre #8 1 Square South towards the pit. Viggo will follow up if successful.

Attack: WS 37 - (1d100)[93] - Miss!
    Damage: (1d10+2)[8]

Manoeuvre: Viggo - (1d100)[93] vs #8 - (1d100)[56] - Failed!
    Last edited by Northern Lad; 2014-05-13 at 04:08 AM.

6. - Top - End - #156

Now with some welcome breathing room, Elsa ran a gloved hand on her face to wipe the blood (only succeeding in spreading it more evenly) and called up another fireball to hurl at the skeleton directly facing her.

Spoiler
    Show
    Channelling 58: (d100)[29]

Magic Dart 6+: (d10)[7]
    Damage: (d10+3)[8]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa's spell burst her target's skull in a splash of sooty flames. Falling apart by pieces, its age-worn bones pattered to the floor, letting its shield and spear fall one after the other.

Redoubling his efforts, Orfeo pitched into the melee, trying to stop any more skeletons from stepping up to take the fallen one's place. He scored a couple of telling hits, cracking ancient bones with the edge of his sword. Raising its shield to cover itself, the undead thing retreated - and Elsa saw the gleam of the bronze trumpet at its hip.

Before Orfeo could press the advantage, the skeleton beside it had stepped across to block the Tilean's pursuit. Its spear grazed Orfeo's helmet, but the blow failed to draw blood. Over on the other right, there came another hollow crash as Adelbert smashed another of their undead attackers to pieces.

With three of their number destroyed and one scratching fruitlessly at the walls of the pit, the skeletons were being forced onto the defensive. Still they fought on like automatons, their empty eye-sockets devoid of fear or human feeling.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Map:
    Last edited by LCP; 2014-05-13 at 05:14 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ettin in the Playground

Adelbert Schreiber

"Someone stop the trumpeter!"
    Adelbert yelled desperately. Far too far away to stop it himself he concentrated on the oppenent closest to hand, trying to hack his way through it without subtlety or finnese.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert makes an All Out Attack on Skeleton #8. I'm assuming at least a two to one bonus and possibly a three to one if Cesar is helping so the target is either 66 or 76.

Roll to Hit: (1d100)[61]
    Roll to Damage: (1d100)[77]

Messed up damage roll - see OOC.
    Last edited by RossN; 2014-05-13 at 05:27 PM.

9. - Top - End - #159

Viggo Hirtzel

He was vaguely aware of Adelbert shouting about trumpets but Viggo refused to let himself dwell upon the scribe's musical leanings. He nearly succumbed to a brief spark of panic as he felt himself wobble on his wounded leg once again. Any second now my leg is going to give out and then I'm going to end up dead and skewered!

With a wordless cry of frustration and anger he redoubled his efforts to push back at the skeleton before him, desperate to return it to the embrace of Morr.

OOC

Spoiler
    Show

Half Action: Attack #8
    Half Action: Manoeuvre #8 1 Square South towards the pit. Viggo will not follow and stay put where he is if successful!

Attack: WS 37 - (1d100)[93] - Miss!
    Damage: (1d10+2)[10]

Manoeuvre: Viggo - (1d100)[50] vs #8 - (1d100)[79] - Failed!
    Last edited by Northern Lad; 2014-05-14 at 04:33 AM.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

As the skeleton next to him was cut down, Ludo changed tack, hurling himself against the other's shield, hoping with bodyweight and force to drive it back. He really only bounced off, but it was a sterling effort.

11. - Top - End - #161

Elsa's next spell, directed at the skeleton straight ahead, failed to muster enough heat to do more than slightly singe her target's bones.

Spoiler
    Show
    Channelling 58: (d100)[59]

Magic Dart 6+: (d10)[8]
    Damage: (d10+3)[4]
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2014-05-14 at 04:13 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Someone stop the trumpeter!"

"Trumpeter?" Sieghard muttered. His eyes shot from skeleton to skeleton until he noticed the cracked instrument on the belt of one that was moving away. Sidestepping Orfeo, he reached for his bow and sent an arrow flying towards it.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard's arrow struck its target in the chest, passing between two ribs and through the space where a man's heart would have been. Glancing off the inside of the skeleton's spine, it hardly seemed to inconvenience the dead soldier.

Passing its spear into its shield hand, the skeleton drew the long bronze horn from the rotted belt that hung over its pelvis. It raised the trumpet to its lipless jaws, and impossibly, it blew - a wailing martial note that echoed deafeningly in the stone-walled confines of the chamber.

It was a good five seconds before the echoes died away - but when they had, its call was answered. Back beyond the darkness of the corridor, their echoes carrying and mingling through the crumbling hallways, other trumpeters were sounding the alarm.

The party were holding their own, keeping the stabbing spears of the three skeletons still fighting at bay - but now it seemed reinforcements were on their way.

OOC:
    Last edited by LCP; 2014-05-16 at 02:51 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert felt his stomach drop at the sounds of that trumpet. Then the scribe gritted his teeth and once again hacked at the nearest skeleton. He was not going to go down without a fight!

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert makes an All Out Attack on Skeleton #8.

To Hit: (1d100)[94]
    Damage: (1d10+3)[5]

15. - Top - End - #165

Grim resignation took hold of Elsa. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

Oh, for the love of...

"Been a pleasure knowing you all," she said with uncharacteristic gravity, readying another blast of fire.

Spoiler
    Show
    Channelling 58: (d100)[24]

Magic Dart 6+: (d10)[5] - Passed thanks to channelling
    Damage: (d10+3)[4] -

Her spell petered out halfway to its target. This gods-forsaken place was messing with the Aethyr.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2014-05-16 at 04:08 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

His bodyslam stymied, Ludo lashed out again with his sword.

"This is becoming bad. This is becoming really bad."

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard stared dumbfounded at the skeleton. That shot would've killed any living foe, but the abomination didn't even seem to have noticed it had been hit. He broke free of his stupor when the trumpet sounded.

"We need to run. We need to get out of here, now!" he shouted. There was an edge of panic in his voice.

Spoiler
    Show
    Lets see... Maths... #3 should be at 5 wounds because of Orfeo's attack last round. Elsa hit for 1, Ludo for 3... 8 wounds...

Sieghard fires an arrow at a skeleton (#3 if Orfeo fails to finish it before Sieghard's turn comes; #8 if 3 is dead and Viggo/Cesar doesn't kill #8; and #4 if 3 and 8 are both dead.) and moves towards the door. If we get really lucky and 3, 4, and 8 are all dead, Sieghard moves 3 spaces southwest and one space south (grabbing the trumpet along the way), otherwise he moves one space east and 3 spaces southeast.

A bit convoluted, but I'm trying to account for as many possibilities as I can.

(1d100)[21] vs 39/59 (Point blank on all 3 and I didn't forget the shields this time . Shooting into melee penalty against #3 or #8 if theyr'e still standing.)
    (1d10+3)[9]

18. - Top - End - #168

Viggo Hirtzel

Desperate to keep the spear from jabbing into him again, Viggo kept moving despite the increasingly worrying throb in his thigh. Upon hearing the trumpet and its brothers wailing response, he groaned mournfully and yelled out even as he redoubled his efforts to see off his attacker. "Oh Gods, if we weren't before, we're bloody dead now! We have to get out of this cursed bloody tomb before any more of these things turn up!"

OOC

Spoiler
    Show

Half Action: Aim
    Half Action: Attack

Attack WS 37 + 10Aim -(1d100)[82] - Miss!
    Damage - (1d10+2)[3]
    Last edited by Northern Lad; 2014-05-18 at 01:56 PM.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Nocking another arrow to his bow, Sieghard let fly at the skeleton fighting Orfeo. This time, his shot hit the undead soldier squarely in the forehead, shattering the front of its skull. The eerie corpse-lights dying in its fractured eye-sockets, the skeleton collapsed to the floor in a rain of bones.

Quite unfazed, the trumpeter stepped up to take its place. Sieghard wasn't hanging around to try another shot at that one - darting left, he dodged under the stabbing spear of the skeleton that had Viggo pinned in the corner, and in one glorious second he was free.

For the others, still trapped behind the broad shields and stabbing spears of the skeleton warriors, escape might not be so easy. As if to drive home the point, Adelbert's opponent took advantage of the scribe's overextending himself. Its spearhead gouged his cheek and nicked his ear - any further to the right and it would have pierced his skull.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by LCP; 2014-05-18 at 05:22 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground

Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert nearly wept in pain and fear. He wanted nothing more than to take to his heels and follow Sieghard... but he knew he could not abandon Viggo. gritting his teeth he sliced at the wretched skeleton confronting Cesar.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aim & Standard Attack on Skeleton #8

To Hit: (1d100)[80] vs. 46
    To Damage: (1d10+3)[12]

21. - Top - End - #171

Viggo Hirtzel

"Sieghard! Sieghard! Wait for me!" Viggo called out as he saw the mercenary weaving between his attacker and Cesar. "Don't go without me!"

He gritted his teeth against the pain once more, his swings were becoming wilder now as he tried to find away around his attackers defenses. "Adelbert, we have got to kill these things, now!"

OOC

Spoiler
    Show

Attack: WS 37 + 10Aim - (1d100)[100] - Miss!
    Damage: [roll]1d10+2[roll]

Edit: Literally as bad as it could get!
    Last edited by Northern Lad; 2014-05-19 at 04:11 AM.

22. - Top - End - #172

"Out of the way, you!" Elsa snarled at the skeleton ahead of her, once more trying to shape a spell out of the Chamon- and Dhar-saturated Winds of this place.

Spoiler: It would be nice if the (roll) tags were available on the toolbar.
    Show
    Channelling: (d100)[43]

Magic Dart 6+: (d10)[2]
    Damage: (d10+3)[4]

AUGH.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2014-05-19 at 10:19 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard glanced back, disappointed to see that the others hadn't followed.

"Hurry or we're all going to die!" he called out, aiming another arrow at the skeleton still threatening his companions.

When his shot missed, he considered continuing his retreat, but something stopped him. Perhaps it was the fact that the others didn't seem to have the good sense to escape while they still could, or maybe it was the fact that in his haste to get closer to the door, Sieghard had left his pack and gold behind. Probably the latter... Something about leaving the riches behind made escape seem less appealing.

Reluctantly, he reached for his sword and shield again.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

While the others struggled ineffectually against the skeletal soldiers, Elsa's guards were proving their worth. Orfeo drove the point of his sword up through the empty jaws of the skeleton confronting him and Ludo, piercing its skull and sending it clattering to the stone floor. That was the last of them on the right - only a jumbled pile of bones and the one damaged creature scratching at the bottom of the pit remained.

Over on the left, things were not looking as good. Cesar failed to get past the first skeleton's shield, and Adelber's attacker wounded him in the arm. His mail shirt saved him from the worst of it, but he could feel his own warm blood running down inside the cold metal links.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

25. - Top - End - #175

Viggo Hirtzel

Viggo's breath was now coming out in short quick rasps. Blood and sweat mingled together, flattening his blond hair flat to his scalp, running down his face and doing their best to blind him.

His strength was leaving him now, his shoulders ached damnably and every time he moved, the weight of his pack nearly threw him off balance. He swung once more at the skeleton before him, acutely aware that the blow lacked the force of his earlier blows. "Why won't you just die?!" He screamed as he swung, unaware of the irony of the question.

OOC

Spoiler
    Show

You know the script!

Attack: WS 37 + 10Aim - (1d100)[37]
    Damage: (1d10+2)[3]

Edit: I... I.. Don't even...! Arghhhhh!
    Last edited by Northern Lad; 2014-05-20 at 08:43 AM.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground

Adelbert Schreiber

Unable to believe how poorly they were faring against the skeletal men Adelbert sliced again at the one he and Viggo were fighting, and losing against.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aim & Standard Attack on Skeleton #8

To Hit: (1d100)[54] vs. 46
    To Damage: (1d10+3)[8]

Last edited by RossN; 2014-05-20 at 09:12 AM.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard clenched his teeth in frustration. The skeletons were annoyingly difficult to bring down and their time was limited before more arrived. He knew the best chance to survive was to run while there was still time.

"Dammit, you two..." he grumbled before charging.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quickdraw sword and charge attack against #8 (if alive) or #7. End the charge south of whichever one so I'm only in contact with one of them.

(1d100)[39] vs 41 +10 (charging) +10 (Outnumbering 2:1)
    (1d10+5)[11]

28. - Top - End - #178

Right. We're done here.

Elsa hurried over to where she had left her gold-filled backpack and shouldered it. At least they wouldn't be getting out of here empty-handed.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Movement to wherever I left the backpack (near the chest, I presume) + Ready action to grab it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

Crashing into the skeleton from behind, Sieghard put it down with a hard chop to the back of the neck. Its skull bounced and rolled across the stone floor, and Orfeo and Cesar spared the mercenary a nod of acknowledgement before charging into the last of the things left attacking Adelbert. Their blades cracked its ancient bones, but it remained standing.

Ludo meanwhile had grabbed his sack of gold - and found it heavier than he expected. His efforts to lift it instead only succeeded in dragging it along the floor. He'd never dealt with so much filthy lucre before, but it seemed to him that a world in which you could overfill a sack of gold could only be the work of cruel and mocking gods.

At the bottom of the pit, the skeleton that Orfeo had knocked over the edge was still scratching and scrabbling. If it kept up its efforts it would surely wear its finger-bones to stubs... but that didn't seem to bother it.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

Adelbert Schreiber

I thought have time for this! Adelbert thought in desperation, his minds eye filled with advancing undead legions. With one last defiant swipe of his sword he moved towards the stairs as fast as his gold filled backpack would let him.