New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Recommend me a fantasy novel (read my post)

There have been a number of good recommendations already, but I'll see if I can add anything. It's surprisingly hard to find something that meets all of your criteria, unfortunately. Almost all books tend to be overly romance-focused, if nothing else. Let's see.

Lynn Flewelling's Tamir Triad (The Bonedoll's Twin, Hidden Warrior, The Oracle's Queen) might work, although there are some parts of your criteria it might only partially meet. The lead character is not unique due to being female, although her being female is important; however, it's a case that her being female in this situation would actually be expected, except for the situation that had recently come about. She works within the system the whole way, and doesn't have to prove her worth more than normal, although she does have to prove the truth of her identity. There is little enough emphasis on romance that I could enjoy the story a great amount, so that means it wasn't too bad (there's basically nothing on that score in the first book, a small amount in the second, and a still-quite-manageable amount in the third). The only gender inequality in the story was recent, having been brought about recently, and then is reverted back to how it was. It is fantasy, but not urban fantasy. I like the trilogy a lot -- but it might or might not be what you're looking for. I will say that the lead character is probably one of my favourite female characters in any book I've read, but that does of course not necessarily mean you'd like her.

The Hounds of the Morrigan (author escapes me at the moment -- they may not be female, I remember them having a neutral-sounding name) might count to some extent. There are two main characters, one a boy, and one a girl. It's been a while since I read it, but I believe they both end up being equally important, although it's told more from the boy's viewpoint. If she's unique, it's definitely not because she's female, there's no romance, and I don't recall any gender inequality. It's not exactly urban fantasy; it starts out in the modern world, but most of it is spent in various mythological realms. Again, it's been many years since I read it, so this could've been a better explanation.

Diana Wynne Jones' Dalemark Quartet always has at least some female characters in the cast, and if I recall correctly, in the third and fourth books they are the main characters. It's again been a while since I've read these, but I'm sure none of the characters are unique because of their gender, I don't remember much if any romance, and I don't remember much if any gender inequality. They're fantasy.

If you're also looking for graphic novels, A Distant Soil by Colleen Doran might work. I'd say it's more science fiction/space opera type in terms of genre than fantasy, but the cast contains a good mix of female and male characters, and it could easily be argued the one of the female characters is the main character. She is relatively unique, although not completely, and her being female has nothing at all to do with that. There is, however, a large element of destroying the system due to its injustices, although they are not gender-based injustices (not sure whether that's what you specifically didn't want). There is what I consider an unfortunately large amount of romance, but probably what most people would consider "not much at all" (I prefer stories to be completely devoid of it). Said romance does take a decided back seat to the action, however; this can basically be guaranteed with anything I recommend, or I'd not have kept reading it.

That's all that comes to mind which hasn't already been mentioned. I'd second the various Mercedes Lackey books mentioned, Diane Duane's Young Wizards books (so long as you don't mind the urban not-quite-fantasy aspect), C.J. Cherryh in general, Anne McCaffrey's Harper Hall trilogy (and some of the Dragonriders of Pern series might also meet what you're looking for: Dragonflight and Dragonquest and Moreta's Ride, for example), and Ursula K. LeGuin.

I personally enjoyed the Song of the Lioness quartet by far the most of Tamora Pierce's books, but it's also one of the two that least fits what you're looking for. Robin McKinley is very hit-or-miss for me; most of her books have too much romance in them. I liked The Hero and the Crown and The Blue Sword anyhow, although I did really find the romance elements a bit much in places, and most of the others are just not to my taste.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Algeh View Post
    For example, if it isn't at all interesting that she's a woman, but she is in currently the very special only person in the world who can summon sandwiches out of midair (after the death of the previous only sandwich-summoner, who was a dude, and no one spends any time on how good or bad it is that this time it's a female sandwich summoner, just on the drama of sandwich-summoning logistics), would that be a problem? (This is not a specific example of a book I've read, but I'm trying understand better what will and won't bug you.) Similarly, if she joined the apple pie artisan guild and had to prove herself not because she was the only female member (about 50/50), but rather because she was from the rival house of chocolate cream and such a crossover is unheard of, would that be a problem?
    I want to read these stories now. Preferably while eating.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Algeh View Post
    A clarifying question: On #3 and #4, do you specifically mean "due to her gender" or do you mean that you want a main character who is not in any way special and does not have to prove herself to be good at something in order to be allowed to do it?

For example, if it isn't at all interesting that she's a woman, but she is in currently the very special only person in the world who can summon sandwiches out of midair (after the death of the previous only sandwich-summoner, who was a dude, and no one spends any time on how good or bad it is that this time it's a female sandwich summoner, just on the drama of sandwich-summoning logistics), would that be a problem? (This is not a specific example of a book I've read, but I'm trying understand better what will and won't bug you.) Similarly, if she joined the apple pie artisan guild and had to prove herself not because she was the only female member (about 50/50), but rather because she was from the rival house of chocolate cream and such a crossover is unheard of, would that be a problem?

Mostly, I'm having a hard time thinking of books where the main character isn't at all special in any way in the fantasy genre. I'd actually like to see more books like that, much like in historical fiction where you get quite a few books about relatively every day people overcoming obstacles pretty much the size of their own lives but in the background of some big historical thing happening rather than as the central world-savers all the time, but I'm not sure if that's what you're trying to get at here or not.

If you want books where the main character isn't special for being a girl, just for some other reason, and the fact that she's female isn't beaten into the ground with a stick, you might try some of Barbara Hambly's older novels (she mostly seems to write historical mysteries and some early 20th century vampire stuff now, but she used to write a lot of fantasy as well). I seem to remember the Darwath books not spending a ton of time on that sort of thing. The first one in that series is The Time Of The Dark.

I'm sure something Tanith Lee has written would qualify too, but I'm having a major brainfart right now on what.

I mostly read science fiction rather than fantasy these days, so I'm not much help. I'll keep an eye on this thread for fantasy books I might be interested in because I am very sick of the "girl who is special because she is the world's first feminist and let's spend a lot of time time on how unfair it is that she has people look down on her and she has to prove herself extra" fantasy plotlines.

Sorry for delay, haven't been around much lately. There are various degrees of what I'm looking for, but I'm not demanding that she not have skills, but just not having to prove herself more than the rest of her peers would in her situation. This mostly comes up as gender, but could be race/class or whatever. If there's a legitimate in universe cause that makes them wary of her (Rand al Thor is eyed askance by lots of people because he's prophesied to destroy the world), in the Chronicles of Elantra series by Michelle Sagara, (which I really enjoyed) the protagonist has dangerous tattoos that were laid on her by magical ritual, and as such people view her as dangerous, and that's fine.

She doesn't have to be completely unskilled, but I don't want her to be unfairly discriminated against just to try to teach me something about civil rights. If you consider the likes of Harry Potter, he has problems, but they're not because the system or his peers are going out of their way to make him fail.

if it isn't at all interesting that she's a woman, but she is in currently the very special only person in the world who can summon sandwiches out of midair (after the death of the previous only sandwich-summoner, who was a dude, and no one spends any time on how good or bad it is that this time it's a female sandwich summoner, just on the drama of sandwich-summoning logistics), would that be a problem?
    Sounds like Avatar/Legend of Korra. Sounds pretty good, but it would depend on the execution.

Similarly, if she joined the apple pie artisan guild and had to prove herself not because she was the only female member (about 50/50), but rather because she was from the rival house of chocolate cream and such a crossover is unheard of, would that be a problem? ]
    Again it would depend on the execution, but I would very much eye that askance. If there was legitimate cause to suspect her of spying or something, I'd be more interested, but if it's just 'we don't like you because you're so special' I'd be more skeptical.

I'm just less interested in those stories. I ended up having huge respect for the 'entitled bully' character in Trudi Canavan's Novice, because
    Spoiler
    Show
    he managed to beat the (far more powerful) protagonist in two out of five bouts of magical sparring, and beat her on pure skill in the third match (she was forced to just bulldoze through his defenses with raw power, driving herself to exhaustion

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

I recently read The Wizard Hunters by Martha Wells. It has all the elements of your list. It's set in a European-ish 19th century high fantasy world. In the land of Ile-Rien which is under siege by mysterious enemies in airships that appear out of nowhere.

Tremaine, its protagonist, is just a very pragmatic woman with a sarcastic sense of humour, a moderately successful playwright career, and an earnest desire to kill herself in a manner which isn't technically suicide for her own reasons. She isn't trying to prove herself to anyone, nor is she looking for any sort of romantic validation.

Gender inequality isn't a theme in the book and not really present in Ile-Rien as far as I can recall.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    Sorry for delay, haven't been around much lately. There are various degrees of what I'm looking for, but I'm not demanding that she not have skills, but just not having to prove herself more than the rest of her peers would in her situation. This mostly comes up as gender, but could be race/class or whatever. If there's a legitimate in universe cause that makes them wary of her (Rand al Thor is eyed askance by lots of people because he's prophesied to destroy the world), in the Chronicles of Elantra series by Michelle Sagara, (which I really enjoyed) the protagonist has dangerous tattoos that were laid on her by magical ritual, and as such people view her as dangerous, and that's fine.

She doesn't have to be completely unskilled, but I don't want her to be unfairly discriminated against just to try to teach me something about civil rights. If you consider the likes of Harry Potter, he has problems, but they're not because the system or his peers are going out of their way to make him fail.

Oh my GOD you would hate the Spellsong Cycle series SO. MUCH. The general gist of it is, this is set in a world where music is magic, specifically singing. Instrumental accompaniment helps, but its the vocals that make the magic happen. So when a female opera singer from earth winds up on this planet, she is a tactical nuke wearing a green dress. Oh, and its classic medieval chauvinism world. Yep, women are either barefoot and preggers, dirty schemers, or just waiting to be claimed by any guy who thinks thats ok. I think she fights off three rape attempts in the first book alone. And yes, half her problems are dealing with male nobles that wont accept a woman can be strong without her slaughtering them first. Its an awesome series, or at least I think so, but yeah, the main focus is on the girl trying to make a difference in a world where pretty much everyone treats her bad because she wears a bra instead of a jock strap. Had she been a he, the story would have ended by book 2.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I've read Protector, Lioness, and Trickster's choice(Not Queen, yet.) Couldn't find Immortals, but isn't Daine some kind of super wildmage?
    Haven't read Terrier, but I though Beka had a unique magic as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Math_Mage View Post
    Can't suggest most of the Tortall series--the female leads are too unique. (I think you would really like Terrier despite that Beka's magic is different from other magic we've seen in the setting.)
    I have to agree with these two. The Tortall books are excellent reading, but the three series I've read most definitely conflict with your requirements:

Lioness and Protector both have Gender inequality and proving oneself as major themes.
    The Immortals have a Mage with "a rare and powerful form of magic". Her magic is always seen as special, even by other mages.

Someone mentioned Barbara Hambly earlier. Could be interesting, and I've enjoyed the two trilogies I've read, Darwath Trilogy and Windrose Chronicles.

There is some romance, so I'm not sure how much is a deal-breaker. Plays a more significant role in Darwath trilogy.

In both works gender equality seems to be the norm for the work in most areas. Male and female troops, wizards, religious leaders, etc.

In both works our main POV characters have to prove themselves at times, but it is justified given their circumstances...

Spoiler: Common Spoiler for both series
    Show
    They are from our world

They are also unique for the same circumstances, but it is as much of a disadvantage as advantage.
    Last edited by tomandtish; 2014-11-30 at 12:20 AM.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

For the last while, I've been trying to read more books by women ,particularly fantasy novels, but I kept coming across similar themes when I went looking. I believe there has to be better choices, so I thought this would be the place to go for good recommendations. A couple of these threads have come up lately, so I hope this isn't repetitive.

Basically, here's what I'm looking for

1. Female author.
    2. Female lead character, (or multi gendered ensemble)
    3. Character is not unique (if she's in a military unit or a cabal of mages, she's not the only one and it's not remarked on or looked down on, and its freely accessible to all genders)
    4. No element of the main character having to prove her worth to her peers or changing/destroying the system she's in due to its injustices.
    5. Little or no emphasis on romance of any kind.
    6.Little or no gender inequality in story.
    5. Preferably not urban fantasy.

I know there are some writers that do this, the latest one I found was Kristen Britain's Green Rider, but I thought it was worth taking a shortcut by asking around. So, anything come to mind?

P.C. Hodgell's God Stalker Chronicles, beginning with God Stalk.

1. She's a female author.
    2. Her lead character is female. (In later novels we sometimes get other characters viewpoints for a few chapters. Up to half of them in one novel.)
    3. That the lead is female, and variously a thief, student, and officer. While her position and roles are not unique - her heritage and powers unquestionably are.
    4. I'm not certain exactly what you mean... if you're trying to avoid "has to prove herself because she's female" then, no, Hodgell pretty much avoids that trope. If you don't want your protagonist proving herself at all - then these probably aren't the books for you. As a repeat outsider (and a not very impressive-seeming one at first glance), she has to prove herself repeatedly, whenever she enters a new milieu.
    5. There's almost too-little romance. The protagonist has friends, not romances. (There are one or two very subverted expectations on that score.)
    6. There's explicitly addressed gender-imbalanced marriage in one segment of a prominent culture, that members of said culture can and do (and are shown) to opt out of. There are a number of characters who are sexist. There's also a mix of male and female thieves, warriors, commanders, rulers, gods, academics, merchants, and undead. (Almost, but not quite, as good as Brust's Dragaera at equality, but that fails 1. and 2. Still very excellent though.)
    7. It's mostly classic fantasy, with a lovely mix of epic and gritty. Two novels take place in and around high-fantasy cities, but none of it is set anywhere near the real world.