New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Charge!!!(3.5)

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Charge!!!(3.5)

Firstly, it's so good to be back!

I'm working on a Mounted Combat build for an upcoming game I'm going to be in. I honestly have no clue where to start.

The game starts at level five and will be going Epic eventually, but for now I'm only worried about Level 5. I'm allowed all books printed by Wizards, possibly some 3rd party, but absolutely no homebrew

I've never played a mounted charger(which is preferred) but I'm assuming there are much better options than Halfling Paladin of Freedom 5/Halfling Outrider 5/Cavalier 10. I'd like to focus as much on Power Attack and Lancing as possible.

Thanks all!
    Sam
    Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for my awesome avatar! Thanks to my friend John Thompson for the original photo.

You may call me Pokefan Sam.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Charge!!!(3.5)

So basically there are a couple of things you need to keep in mind.

1) You want to be as small as possible - dungeons are cramped spaces, and you want to be able to drive your mount through them.
    2) Ride-by attack doesn't really work the way the designers thought it did. Make sure you and your DM don't get caught up in the RAW and decide on what makes sense for your group.
    3) You want a beeftastic mount - a regular horse you buy with money is the first thing to go when that fireball hits. Paladin isn't a bad choice if you're allowed to use the alternate mount rules in the back of the DMG to pick exotic mounts (long story short, you can pick a quadruped with CR = your Paladin level -3, or -4 if it flies). Stack extra things onto the same creature (animal companion + special mount + familiar + cohort + so on and so forth), but beware of making the rider irrelevant!
    4) There are a couple of neat things you can do that don't involve valorous lances. This thread of mine from a while ago gives some ideas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting