New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Outside 40: It's all downhill from here

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    Sophia smiles, and adopts a boxing stance.
    Copy my stance.
    Field of Mock Battle

Yuki nods and adopts Sophia's stance as best he can. "Ah, okay. Um, what should I do with my wings?"
    Avatar of Furude Setsuna, by Telasi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akagi
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morcleon View Post
    Field of Mock Battle

Yuki nods and adopts Sophia's stance as best he can. "Ah, okay. Um, what should I do with my wings?"
    I'd fold them up Or something like that.
    Sophia replies
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

3. - Top - End - #213
    Orc in the Playground

Peacefield Skull

The skull stops firing all its weapons. It doesn't do anything else, though, should ghost-girl or her bird wish to try the hatch.

Daemonwood Shrine

Babette smiles when her clothes and skin is cleaned. "Thank you." Then she follows Elereshur.

She's very happy at what the demon tells her. "I would like that a lot. Thank you!" Elereshur may find herself getting a hug from the ghoulish girl.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

4. - Top - End - #214

I'd fold them up Or something like that.
    Sophia replies
    Field of Mock Battle

Yuki nods and folds them up behind his back, settling back into the stance. "Got it."
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

5. - Top - End - #215

Field of Mock Battle

Yuki nods and folds them up behind his back, settling back into the stance. "Got it."
    Sophia nods.
    Alright, the proper way to punch is to quickly intend your arm and hit with the flat part of the fist between your knuckles and the part where your fingers bend, quickly retracting it back into the stance.
    She does so to the air to show him.
    ((wanna have training happen offscreen?))
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

6. - Top - End - #216

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Peacefield Skull

The skull stops firing all its weapons. It doesn't do anything else, though, should ghost-girl or her bird wish to try the hatch.
    The ghostly girl pats the bird, reassuring it that it can fly off, and rebalancing it to be happier and excited to have succeeded. Then, as it flies up and away, she goes to try the hatch. A few inches away, she realizes that's silly, and just tries to float down through it.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

7. - Top - End - #217
    Orc in the Playground

Peacefield Skull

It's successful, and rather lucky she changed her mind. The hatch is linked to a small flame thrower. The trap can be disengaged, but only from the inside. A flamethrower was chosen because the strange ceramic material the skull is made of is impervious to heat, whereas bullets or rockets could damage it.

Inside the top room is a large table with a series of maps on it and a built-in compass, and there's a large wheel like that of a ship on the front wall. Above the wall is an illusion, half of it showing the view out of the eyes in real time, with Russian lettering marking targets and threat levels. The other half shows a bird's eye view of the surrounding area, with the skull in the centre. A skeletal figure is standing at the wheel, wearing a red greatcoat, green pantaloons and a blue peaked cap. Hanging at its waist is an macuahuitl with lumps of green Tamrielic Glass instead of obsidian. The figure is presently engaging a device on the wheel that will prevent the wheel from moving until it is disengaged and therefore immobilise the skull.

8. - Top - End - #218

[Peacefield Skull - Top Room]

Nice and secure of them. If the flamethrower looks easily unlinked from the inside, the ghostly girl will solidify and take it up in her arms, seeing as it is small. If not, she leaves it engaged, stays incorporeal, and sneaks towards the skeletal pilot, staff now held tightly in both hands.
    Why are these things here? Perhaps writings somewhere could help explain it. She should have actually tried in Russian class; the girl can barely pick out letters, much less words.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

9. - Top - End - #219
    Orc in the Playground

Peacefield Skull- Bridge

The maps and compass are in several different languages; the projection is in Russian. It's all for navigating and maneuveuring the skull-shaped assault platform. The flamethrower is built into the ship; it can be disengaged from the hatch so it won't burn whatever enters but the fuel supply is carried along pipes leading elsewhere- to the engine room, specifically.

The skeletal helmsman has finished his task and pulled free the macuahuitl from his waist, and advances upon the ghost-girl. He holds his weapon in a defensive posture, intending for her to make the first move.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

[Daemonwood Shrine]

Elereshur smiles as she's hugged, and says, "Well...There is a slight issue...I don't know how to go about it. Do you have any thoughts? I don't know your ecology as well as you do."

11. - Top - End - #221

[Peacefield Skull - Bridge]

The ghostly girl moves forward, sweeping the stave out at the skeleton's legs. It should find the weapon quite solid, unlike the girl. She presumes it has the same basic, hateful mind as the others.
    She is careful with the attack though, it has little leverage behind it, as glass blades like that are usually magic, and could be actually harmful.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

12. - Top - End - #222
    Orc in the Playground

No Longer Daemonwood Shrine

"Um, I don't know as much as you think I do. I know what I can do, and I know what would hurt me, how to heal myself and what would kill me. I don't know how to become more powerful. There might be some kind of artefact that could do it, a weapon or bauble of some kind, but I don't know how. And what would work for me might not work for the others- when I turned, my tongue mutated and grew, but Kessandra didn't. She can stop people with a stare, though." Kessandra being the shaven-headed half-elf.

If you want suggestions, then there's Violet Crystal, an equip spell card in Yu-Gi-Oh! for Zombie-type monsters, and there may be other equip spell cards that are suitable, or an equivalent from Magic: The Gathering which I don't play or even a Pokemon held item might work.

Peacefield Skull

The skeletal helmsman's mind is not, actually, as crude and malevolent as the assault squad's. His mind is more complex and rational, though less capable of emotion- he doesn't even feel anger, pain or disappointment; his job is entirely different to that of the four the ghost girl faced earlier.

The skeleton swings its macuahuitl down to block the staff, aiming a punch for the ghost-girl's head with its other hand. The macuahuitl is enchanted, but staffs usually have no life-force to drain and it's entirely possible that neither does the ghost-girl, as she's undead and not alive.
    Last edited by Earl of Purple; 2014-05-02 at 05:24 PM.

13. - Top - End - #223

[Peacefield Skull - Bride]

The staff is knocked aside, having no life force to drain, although the girl sort of does.
    She lifts up a hand as if to to block the skeleton's fist. It should just pass through her head and hand, maybe giving him a chill if he can feel that, but more importantly, he should find it harder to think as she tries to draw away part of his mind.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

14. - Top - End - #224
    Orc in the Playground

Peacefield Skull

The pilot doesn't feel the chill. He's already dead. He does lose part of his mind, including knowledge of how to pilot the skull, but not what the Russian means.

Drawing back his fist after the punch, he decides not to try that again and tries to stand on the staff so it can't be used whilst also freeing up his macuahuitl for a swing at the ghost-girl's right shoulder. If he can't stand on the staff, he'll try the swing anyway. If he hits, the macuahuitl will draw away life energy and use it to empower the pilot and heal any wounds. It can't fix his mind, but it would fix any physical damage, had he taken any yet.

15. - Top - End - #225

[Peacefield Skull]

Ooh, now that's an important bit of thought. The ghost girl swiftly stores it away in her ring, rather than devouring it, to study later. The staff is stood upon, and twisted out of her grasp. She rises up in time to be cut by the swinging glass. It meets rather less resistance than it should, but there is some life energy being drained, and blood dripping from her upper arm where it cut in.
    She lunges at him, reaching out with her now empty left arm to grasp at the pilot's thoughts.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

16. - Top - End - #226
    Orc in the Playground

Peacefield Skull

The pilot's thoughts are in Russian. They're mostly about how he plans on defeating the ghost-girl so he can go back to his primary purpose- piloting the assault skull.

He swings once again with his macuahuitl, this time aiming for her head with a savage downstroke. I'm not sure if the ghost-girl's touch does any physical damage, or is capable of disrupting enchantments, because otherwise I'm not sure if she can win without a weapon. Unless she causes him to forget why he's fighting, anyway.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

[Daemonwood]

Elereshur thinks for a moment, and then snaps her fingers and says, "Ah-ha. I think I've got it...If I use my barbs on you, I think I can empower you...You would still be undead, but you'd be filled with our Lord's demonic power...You could still do everything you can now, but also gain some demonic abilities. It'll hurt quite a bit though, and I don't know if it will work or not...Are you okay with that?"

18. - Top - End - #228
    Orc in the Playground

Daemonwood

"Yes, it does. But, can it wait until we get home? I want to be somewhere I feel safe if it hurts as much as it seems to." Because if she's in too much pain to defend herself, she doesn't want to be out in the open.

19. - Top - End - #229

[Peacefield Skull]

With a strike like that, the ghost girl has time to jump to the side, spinning away as the blade goes down past.
    Her touch does no physical damage. That's what the staff is for, if she can get him off of it. But apart from taking what they no and remember, it can damage one's ability to even have thoughts, until all that's left is a heartbeat, or dark magics assembling bones into an unholy mockery of life, or whichever.

But he's proving to be a bit resistant to that. Probably because he has a dedicated purpose; most living beings are a bit directionless and conflicted, and thus vulnerable. That makes damaging him someone else's problem. She quickly runs through tested options in her mind. The ghostly girl tries to back away from the skeleton as a speck of blackness expands and solidified behind him, in the shape of a great bear.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

Daemonwood

Elereshur nods, and says, "No problem...Frankly, I was going to wait until we were home, anyways."

((Calling it here, unless there's anything else you want to say.))

21. - Top - End - #231
    Orc in the Playground

Peacefield Skull- Bridge

The helmsman doesn't notice the bear, yet. But he does stride forward and swing his macuahuitl at the ghost-girl's torso, which might disrupt the summoning attempt.

Daemonwood

Babette follows Elereshur. ((No problems with that here.))

22. - Top - End - #232

[Peacefield Skull]

Unfortunately for him, the construction of the bear is complete quite quickly, although dodging back and turning that swing into a shallow cut takes all of the girl's remaining attention. And still, that's a bit of power for him through the life-draining of the blade.
    The bear rushes at the skeleton, aiming to knock him down.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

23. - Top - End - #233
    Orc in the Playground

Peacefield Skull- Bridge

The helmsman is knocked over onto his front. If the bear stays on the helmsman's back, he can't get up, attack or defend himself. If the bear doesn't, for whatever reason, the helmsman will try to stand up. Several bones broke during the impact, but there's enough life-force stored in the macuahuitl to heal them quickly.

24. - Top - End - #234

[Peacefield Skull - Bridge]

"Hold him down."
    The bear, fairly obedient, stays atop the skeleton pilot, growling, while the girl bends down to set a hand through the skeleton and empty him out. The other hand is clutching the wound in her shoulder. The mental energy of his strange emotionless mind is less nourishing than the assault teams' would be, but it's better than nothing.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

25. - Top - End - #235

Sophia nods.
    Alright, the proper way to punch is to quickly intend your arm and hit with the flat part of the fist between your knuckles and the part where your fingers bend, quickly retracting it back into the stance.
    She does so to the air to show him.
    ((wanna have training happen offscreen?))
    [Field of Mock Battle]

Yuki copies the move, slowly at first, then faster as he gains more confidence.

((Sure. ))

26. - Top - End - #236

[Field of Mock Battle]

Yuki copies the move, slowly at first, then faster as he gains more confidence.

((Sure. ))
    And so Yuki is trained martial arts!
    Yay!
    Sophia at the end offers some ice cold water.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

27. - Top - End - #237

And so Yuki is trained martial arts!
    Yay!
    Sophia at the end offers some ice cold water.
    Field of Mock Battle

Breathing heavily, Yuki accepts the water gratefully, chugging it down. "That was... really intense. But I did learn quite a bit. You're not a bad teacher..."

28. - Top - End - #238

Quote Originally Posted by sMorcleon View Post
    Field of Mock Battle

Breathing heavily, Yuki accepts the water gratefully, chugging it down. "That was... really intense. But I did learn quite a bit. You're not a bad teacher..."
    Thanks.
    Sophia replies, grinning as she drinks some water, petting her horse, Clyde, as she does so and offering him a sugar cube
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

29. - Top - End - #239
    Troll in the Playground

Melody's Island- Inside the Barn

Spoiler: McBish
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by McBish View Post
    Derek smiles back. "Don't worry you are in good hands." With that said he will start to get ready to try and heal the injuries that remain. This will involve carefully rolling Melody onto her stomach and some cutting of her clothes. He will promise to mend them later.

Assuming that he can get that far the next part will seem a bit more magical. He pulls out several dozen long needles, a bowl made of obsidian, and a vial of milky white liquid. He pours the liquid in the bowl and soaks the needles in them. He holds the bowl in both his hands and whispers a quiet prayer in a strange language. The whole bowl glows for a few seconds bringing a happy smile to Derek's face. Sometimes his prayers aren't answered being so far from home. This obviously isn't one of those times.

Then it is very similar to acupuncture. Those half a dozen of needles will be stuck all around her back and other injuries. There should be no pain. As a matter of fact it should start to feel very relaxing. It will probably take about 15 minutes or so for him to get all the needles in place. Then he will have her sit for another 15 minutes. Plenty of time for the others to have things happening.

Don't worry about it. Melody says with a nervous chuckle, when Derek promises to mend her clothes. I needed to buy something new anyhow.

Melody physically tenses when she senses Derek beginning to place the needles, but soon relaxes as she notices a severe lack of pain, and soon she starts nodding off, once again.

Melody's Island- On the Beach

Spoiler: Bushranger, Firefox, Happy, & Magtok
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bushranger View Post
    Quinn might or might not have aged! Schrodinger's Aging!
    ...as it is, though, the embrace Happy gives is leaned into, the brunette shuddering.
    And murmuring something that sounds like everybody hates me.

...seems Grandpa's little psychic attack cut deep.
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    Oh crap. Happy hasn't got a clue how to fix something like this. She shoots Magtok a "Help me!" look.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Magtok holds up a finger, as he quickly whips out a phone and calls-

GLoG's Tobias. Or more precisely, GLoG's Med Lab, but it amounts to the same thing. This should be more help than anything Magtok himself could do.

"Hi, is this Tobias? It's Magtok, I'm on Melody's Island. Your wife is...I don't want to say it's a mental breakdown, in case it's not anything that intense, but she needs someone and your name is the first that came to mind."
    Quote Originally Posted by FireFox View Post
    There is silence on the other end, as Toby tries to figure things out. Before Magtok can wonder if the line is actually connected, however, he clears his throat and speaks up. Look around and find a plant. Describe it. What kind is it? What makes it physically and visibly distinct from other nearby plants? ... And what is the island's compass bearing from GLoG?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    "Alright, hold on. Okay, so it's blue, with this yellow thing in the middle. It has five...no, six petal things on the flower, and-Oh **** this, hold on. MagComputer says it's Thelymitra crinita. It's about two feet away from some crabgrass. Thelymitra crinita, also known as Blue Lady Orchid. Melody has a goofy sense of humor. Oh, right, and compass direction, southeast." Magtok squats down next to the flower, before suddenly shooting up and backing away nervously. He's just genre-savvy enough to realize staying there and looking at the flower was going to get him accidentally kicked in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by FireFox View Post
    Toby hangs up and uses a Druidic spell to travel from a plant near GLoG to one on the island. It's not instantaneous, taking at least a minute and possibly more than five, depending on the distance. Nor does he come from the flower the cyborg had specified, because that would be too obvious. So when he steps out of a plant 50 feet behind Magtok, at an unpredicted time, he feels confident that he has successfully claimed the element of surprise. So the famous Lord Magtok thinks he can set a trap for me, the Goddamned Tobias, and bait it with my wife! An interesting site for a battle, certainly, but I can see what you're aiming for and I approve. Traumatic tragedy juxtaposed with tropical tranquility. You intend to turn this paradise into an infernal landscape through our combat! Perhaps you think you can hurt me by forcing me to choose between collateral damage and the life of one woman. Maybe you think a druid will avoid natural destruction at all costs. Whatever your plan, know this: When it comes to hell on earth, I was born and raised in the briar patch! While he monologues, storm clouds appear out of nowhere and ominously rumble overhead. The ground tremors under his boots in an attempt to set off any mines or other traps buried nearby. Wind currents form and coalesce into a shielding torus around him and the hastily painted runes on his bare chest create a magnetic field strong enough to deflect bullets. At long last, the clash of Nexus titans! The two greatest minds, preeminent and peerless experts in our own fields, engaged in an inevitable and much anticipated war. Don't disappoint me, Magtok!

What Toby might notice after a moment of grand-standing, is Happy holding a crying Quinn. A young woman holding a teen girl, both crying. And Magtok with a cell phone in his hand, possibly still next to his ear (or wherever he holds it when making a call).

Soon after his monologue begins, Jezebelle looks over toward where the voice is coming from. Clash of titans? What are you talking about?
    Last edited by Lex-Kat; 2014-05-03 at 12:41 PM.

Lexington III, my Brute. Inner Circle. ! Melody

30. - Top - End - #240

Thanks.
    Sophia replies, grinning as she drinks some water, petting her horse, Clyde, as she does so and offering him a sugar cube
    [Field of Mock Battle]

Yuki takes a smaller sip of his water and grins. "Well, even though I can fight now, I'll still need to practice quite a bit."