New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Post Consolidated list of Rules Fixes

Something that came to mind while preparing for the first few sessions of a new campaign. for all the reading I've done of gitp and other boards dedicated to RPGs, not once have I seen a consolidated list of common rules fixes to ease problems with dysfunctional rules or common problems. I don't mean house rules that are mostly based on opinion, more things like drowning-stabilize or monks missing UAS proficiency.

Is there such a list? if not, perhaps we can create one here.

the intention is for the list to be as universally useful as possible, so please try and keep that in mind when providing fixes. I will update the main post to reflect things provided.

I am not going to be the final arbiter of what is or is not an opinion based fix, that's for the community to call it as they see it.
    The difference between the possible and the impossible, is the measure of a man's determination.
    -Capt. James Thain

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Consolidated list of Rules Fixes

reserved, just in case it becomes needed.
    The difference between the possible and the impossible, is the measure of a man's determination.
    -Capt. James Thain

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

A good start would probably be the disfunctional rules compendium.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

I don't think such a list exits due to the fact that what constitutes a "Common problem" isn't really agreed upon. Each group is different and each group has different goals with their game.

I do agree that looking at the dysfunctional rule list might be good though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I've considered such a project. Now we have identified a list of around 670 rules which are dysfunctional (see below) and, as such, require houserules. The trouble is that either the RAI is obvious or the fix is contentious.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silva Stormrage View Post
    I don't think such a list exits due to the fact that what constitutes a "Common problem" isn't really agreed upon. Each group is different and each group has different goals with their game.

I do agree that looking at the dysfunctional rule list might be good though.
    Pretty much. And what nedz said too. Either way too obvious to need to be put on paper, or disagreed on.

I do think that the #1 "fix" is don't abuse the system or hunt down loopholes. Which most players do. It's also a good idea for the DM to look over everything for anything that's obviously trouble. And what's trouble may vary by group. Once you get into individual fixes that matter you quickly fill 50 pages and there's hardly any agreement on any of them between groups.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2014-04-15 at 10:20 AM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

thanks for the replies.

after doing some reading, I'm thinking most of you are right and that the majority of the common fixes are contentious for a wide array of reasons, however I've also noticed that usually those common problems with contentious fixes get boiled down to one or two preferential options depending on your opinion on the topic.

my current thoughts are that it might be an idea to have a primary shortlist of the braindead fixes that is easy to find for new or aspiring DMs to help make them aware, and a longer secondary list of dysfunctions and the common options used to deal with it.

the motivation here isn't an exhaustive list, let alone a complete one. just to create something new DMs for 3.5 can pick up and get a basic idea for some of the most likely problems they'll encounter and provide a resource for a speedy resolution.

I'll be digging through the dysfunction threads and compiling what I can
    Last edited by Windstorm; 2014-04-15 at 02:16 PM.
    -Capt. James Thain

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

this old thread is worth a look — just so you know where the elephant traps lie.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook