1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default [EMPIRE] The Technical Institute for Brilliant Minds

It is not a tall, or impressive structure. In fact, the Institute seems rather the opposite. It's a collection of small stone structures, thick and squat like fortresses. The adamantine plating on the outside, too, appears like a fortress; the reinforced steel covering the doors and windows, the heavy rafters and support beams; the guards at every level, even gliding through the sky above.

This is the Technical Institute, a government funding fount of brilliance, given the highest honor, but the highest guard. Years back, it was said that a Qarimosi sage gave faulty plans, which led to the drowning of thousands of sailors. That was in the age of Tumberink, the first Doge since the Emigration, and long ago. But because of such betrayal, the Institute takes great care with its security, both leaving and entering.

The Technical Institute for Brilliant Minds, they call it. On the outside, just a place for inventors and engineers, the practical intelligence of the world. But just inside the door stood the great forum, a wide plaza in classic Guilderene style, with the edict of the second Doge, Humperdink. It was he that expanded the purpose of the Institute, to include all brilliant minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Decree of Intellectual Integrity, 375
    Be it known in the lands of Guilder henceforth that the Technical Institute, known as the Technical Institute for Brilliant Minds, shall be a place of learning and instruction for all. Any student of any form of art or thought who excels in his field shall be allowed to enter its halls.

The annual allotment for the Institute shall be increased, and stipends given for the number of papers published, as reviewed by the current Prince-Minister of Advancement. The increase of the Institute shall be guaranteed until knowledge is full and the seas are unsailable.

I further decree that the Institute shall seek out opportunity abroad to influence the sciences of other nations, and discover the mysteries of other lands. In this interest, I appoint Columbo Fiassa as Headmaster of Foreign Study, a position which, now created, is an addition to the board of study at the Institute.
    The plaza's center-board is a full hundred feet around, wide and low, with off-shooting walls to divide the sunken forum by its subjects. Here, the wall for economics and politics, followed by the study of peoples and histories, (they invented a word for themselves, "sociologists", but it won't catch on), then engineers, then, finally, the alchemists, shamans, and mixers of herbs.

This is the great hall of knowledge, the great home of intrigue. Every one of the people sitting there, beneath the surface of the earth, has the same fight. They all need money to support their research. Each of them struggles for it, and they each have their own devious plans to obtain it.

After all, even in the halls of science, Guilder is still Guilder.
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: [EMPIRE] The Technical Institute for Brilliant Minds

Okay, so is this thread open or is it closed like the rest of the EMPIRE!?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Aella View Post
    Okay, so is this thread open or is it closed like the rest of the EMPIRE!?
    It is open to anyone who wishes to role-play a character (of any nation) that is a part of the Institute. Think classic brilliant-minds-school drama (Harry Potter, X-Men, etc) meets schemes to get grant money, more like a classic "rule-the-world/mind games/intrigue" piece (Death Note, Game of Thrones, etc).

And I'd love to have someone involved, even if they're not from Empire! Join right in! Just be sure to have the appropriate technology/social advancement for the time. If you've been following the other threads, you should be fine.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Thanks. Which threads from the rest of Empire! should I read to brush up?

- - - Updated - - -

Show
    Let's fet this RP started.

Celestia nervously approached the front gate of the Institute. The guards eyed her warily. She reached into her left pocket and pulled out an envelope.

"Um, I have, um, permission to study here?" She uncertainly offered the envelope, her hand shaking.
    Last edited by Aella; Yesterday at 10:01 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

"A Whole New World"
    Spoiler: Part 1
    Show

The students stepped back in awe as a dozen armed guards threw open the doors of the Institute. Each project in turn looked to the others, hoping that they'd done something horribly immoral, and would be arrested with all stipends revoked. Some of the political students began theorizing about the use of force in science, and the horribly detrimental effects. In fact, within a few minutes, a graph was posted on the Humanities Stele, portraying the downtrend of original thought inside the Institute.

These students were frozen in their over-eager tracks, however, upon the entrant of the second and more shocking part of the delegation. Doge Humpderink himself strode into the hallway, arms folded inside wide, sweeping sleeves from Lyradisan looms. He stands, watching with dispassionate eye, surveying all of the steles and the entirety of the main plaza. Out from behind his flowing robes step scribes, each one walking with stately pace to a different stele, and affixing a short scroll to each.

The students wait for the group to leave, and then stream to read the mysterious document, copying and chattering to themselves.

It reads as follows.

Quote Originally Posted by The Universal Principle, by Doge Humperdink the Just
    Introduction: War
    It is a fact widely accepted that the many regions of the world disagree on many things. They stand off over land, they argue over succession, and they go to war because of belief. This is accepted by all: none can dispute the Universal Principle that nations will war if they are given proper motivation.

The question of this paper is presented by that dire statement: what is proper motivation? Again, we find universal principles: self defense, justified. For grievances, justified. To enslave, unjustified. To destroy, unjustified.

The Universal Principle of war: justified by defending right, unjust if attacking right. But what of a principle above all principles:the principles of convicting faith. Can a war based on faith be right? If we examine it more closely, we find that it is clear. Religious war is, oddly, immoral.

Contention: Logic
    Follow the thought: War, to be "just", requires justification. Justice is what one would call a Universal Principle: something that everyone recognizes. There is no civilized country which condones murder, and none that condones the enslaving of other nations. This is because murder and enslaving are universally unjust. Thus, they are universally the opposite of a reason for war. This leads to the conclusion: if something is to be a "justification", it must be a part of Justice, which is a universal concept.

So, war should only be declared if it is just, correct? I must presume goodness or at least a desire for justice here in my readers, so I link the necessity of right reason to the universality of those reasons. If something is a good enough reason for war, it must be universally believed. This is the problem with faith:

It is a matter for an individual. Each person choses what he or she believes, making it quite the opposite of a Universal Principle. Each person has their own faith, true, and each believes in rightness. But since each person believes differently, then each faith must belong to them alone, not to the world, or even to a nation.

War is a dangerous game, and of such a threat to the lives of citizens that a good ruler will only muster those citizens if it is just. However, it is impossible for faith, something that cannot motivate all those citizens, or make fanatics of more than a few. Thus, the warmongering ruler is risking the lives of citizens for something that they do not believe in, and does not have the power of universal right behind it either.

Conclusion: Acceptance
    This is the logic I present in defense of my Universal Principle: faith, conviction, religion, is a great part of all of our lives. It drives great men, great peoples, to lead great nations. But look at the many sides, the many points of view: why is it that any one of them should be totally correct, to the exclusion of others? And what of the beliefs with overlap, the way Rajurda folds the Lord of Fire inside itself, or Yphine mirrors those beliefs?

I present thus my solution: all faiths, being as they are a representation of a person's unique view, are equally valid. Faith is present as a means of ordering life, and it does so beautifully. Yet we cannot use faith to cause war, use order as an excuse for chaos. Faith may spread, from nation to nation: this is right, this is good, this is JUST. Explaining faith to others is perfectly logical.

But in order to expect others to listen to you, you must expect to listen to others.

This is the basis of friendly relations. A war does not change the minds of the conquered, it only embitters them. True faith can only come through words, not wars. This, then, is the solution: accept others, allow others to speak. Let each faith speak to the hearts of men on its own merit.

This shall be the way of the Guilderenes: henceforth, this academy shall be home to many of all faiths, a place of true openness. Let the world take note.
    The students, from every nation, step back in silence. What is this strange idea, "acceptance"? What had caused Humperdink to come, in person, to present this? And of course, the most pressing question on their deep-thinking, soul-staring minds:

Could it possibly be used to justify getting more grants for their projects?

- - - Updated - - -

Show
    Let's fet this RP started.

Celestia nervously approached the front gate of the Institute. The guards eyed her warily. She reached into her left pocket and pulled out an envelope.

"Um, I have, um, permission to study here?" She uncertainly offered the envelope, her hand shaking.
    "Fresh Face"

A pterid swoops in from overhead, wings blasting away the dusty gates, and annoying the guards on the battlements to no end. "Don't you Rannarans 'ave no r'spect for oth'rs?!?" bellows the Captain of the Guard, a tough-speaking man with a sailor's cut-off slang. The half-dressed wildman makes no comment, instead leaning over the battlement to look on this new recruit.

The quetzalcoutlus screeches, its 6-foot mouth gaping wide. The Captain growls, clearly already mad, and looks down at you. "'Oo 're you?!" He opens the gate, disappearing behind the battlements, and reappearing in the anteroom. "Lemme see those paypas?"

Spoiler: OOC: Threads
    Show

The main OOC thread is [here], the main IC thread is [here], and in the first post of the first thread, you can see a number of other IC threads. Problem is that there are 26 IC threads, old, new, and outdated; and 4 OOC threads, outdated and new. It'd be easier to just ask a question of someone, or editing if there's an issue... Cause there is *SO* much fluff. Perhaps talk to Morph Bark?

I can also give you the summary, if that'll help.
    Last edited by SamBurke; Yesterday at 10:16 PM.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Celestia chewed on her lip as she listened to a group of students discuss forcing people into experiments for science.

Then the Doge arrived.

Celestia read over her allotted paper, absently twirling a strand of her blond hair. Justification for war? And now everyone is using this as an excuse for money? Celestia shook her head. She understood the importance of funds, she was a medical student after all, but finding some philosophical excuse for cash was... well, selfish. From her experience with anyone trying to get funding, it was usually just to advance their own careers and not for a higher end. Someone jostled her and she nearly fell, disrupting several people, deep in conversation.

"Sorry! I'm jsut clumsy." She tried to smile apologetically in their cold faces. "Yeah, I'll be going now..."