New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default [EMPIRE][Open, Ongoing] The Technical Institute for Brilliant Minds

Ongoing Medieval University Drama from the Empire Universe
    • Anyone can join!
    • Play as whoever you like in an intrigue-filled science-based clash of cultures from around the world!
    • Drop yourself in anywhere, talk to anyone!
    • I'm just adding more things because I'm really excited!
    • Just make a character and have fun already!

The RP

EMPIRE! is a massive kingdom game on the world-building forums, involving about 30-40 players, ruling 50 or 60 nations across the fantasy world of Telluris. While the main game is awesome, I thought there were a lot of smaller role-play venues being missed, and a lot of ways to include people who weren't part of the kingdom building. This thread is open to anyone who wants to role-play inside the world of EMPIRE!, whether they play the main game or not.

I present to you the Technical Institute: a Guilderene school for practically everything! You can be a historian or "sociologist" (though the latter may be sneered at in an entirely snobbish manner), you can be an alchemist struggling for the long-sought-after secret to non-volatile BloodFire, you can be an economist or doctor or teacher or researcher or guard or ANYTHING.

The story is normal school-house drama, set in a mediaeval low fantasy world. The specific university, the Technical Institute for Brilliant Minds, is created inside the merchant nation of Guilder, and is thus ruled in large part by money. To stay at the academy, you need to please a patron of some sort (could be another player, an NPC, a mysterious foreigner who'll only meet you in dark alleyways, you name it!), or a stipend for your research. You might need to steal resources from another team, create an impromptu alliance, bargain or canvas the Plaza to find the people you want. This is wild science.

That's the struggle! That's the story! That's the roleplaying. Please, join in!

The Locale

It is not a tall, or impressive structure. In fact, the Institute seems rather the opposite. It's a collection of small stone structures, thick and squat like fortresses. The adamantine plating on the outside, too, appears like a fortress; the reinforced steel covering the doors and windows, the heavy rafters and support beams; the guards at every level, even gliding through the sky above.

This is the Technical Institute, a government funding fount of brilliance, given the highest honor, but the highest guard. Years back, it was said that a Qarimosi sage gave faulty plans, which led to the drowning of thousands of sailors. That was in the age of Tumberink, the first Doge since the Emigration, and long ago. But because of such betrayal, the Institute takes great care with its security, both leaving and entering.

The Technical Institute for Brilliant Minds, they call it. On the outside, just a place for inventors and engineers, the practical intelligence of the world. But just inside the door stood the great forum, a wide plaza in classic Guilderene style, with the edict of the second Doge, Humperdink. It was he that expanded the purpose of the Institute, to include all brilliant minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Decree of Intellectual Integrity, 375
    Be it known in the lands of Guilder henceforth that the Technical Institute, known as the Technical Institute for Brilliant Minds, shall be a place of learning and instruction for all. Any student of any form of art or thought who excels in his field shall be allowed to enter its halls.

The annual allotment for the Institute shall be increased, and stipends given for the number of papers published, as reviewed by the current Prince-Minister of Advancement. The increase of the Institute shall be guaranteed until knowledge is full and the seas are unsailable.

I further decree that the Institute shall seek out opportunity abroad to influence the sciences of other nations, and discover the mysteries of other lands. In this interest, I appoint Columbo Fiassa as Headmaster of Foreign Study, a position which, now created, is an addition to the board of study at the Institute.
    The plaza's center-board is a full hundred feet around, wide and low, with off-shooting walls to divide the sunken forum by its subjects. Here, the wall for economics and politics, followed by the study of peoples and histories, (they invented a word for themselves, "sociologists", but it won't catch on), then engineers, then, finally, the alchemists, shamans, and mixers of herbs.

This is the great hall of knowledge, the great home of intrigue. Every one of the people sitting there, beneath the surface of the earth, has the same fight. They all need money to support their research. Each of them struggles for it, and they each have their own devious plans to obtain it.

After all, even in the halls of science, Guilder is still Guilder.
    Last edited by SamBurke; 2014-04-20 at 07:40 PM.
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: [EMPIRE] The Technical Institute for Brilliant Minds

Okay, so is this thread open or is it closed like the rest of the EMPIRE!?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Aella View Post
    Okay, so is this thread open or is it closed like the rest of the EMPIRE!?
    It is open to anyone who wishes to role-play a character (of any nation) that is a part of the Institute. Think classic brilliant-minds-school drama (Harry Potter, X-Men, etc) meets schemes to get grant money, more like a classic "rule-the-world/mind games/intrigue" piece (Death Note, Game of Thrones, etc).

And I'd love to have someone involved, even if they're not from Empire! Join right in! Just be sure to have the appropriate technology/social advancement for the time. If you've been following the other threads, you should be fine.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Thanks. Which threads from the rest of Empire! should I read to brush up?

- - - Updated - - -

Show
    Let's fet this RP started.

Celestia nervously approached the front gate of the Institute. The guards eyed her warily. She reached into her left pocket and pulled out an envelope.

"Um, I have, um, permission to study here?" She uncertainly offered the envelope, her hand shaking.
    Last edited by Aella; 2014-04-17 at 10:01 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

"A Whole New World"
    Spoiler: Part 1
    Show

The students stepped back in awe as a dozen armed guards threw open the doors of the Institute. Each project in turn looked to the others, hoping that they'd done something horribly immoral, and would be arrested with all stipends revoked. Some of the political students began theorizing about the use of force in science, and the horribly detrimental effects. In fact, within a few minutes, a graph was posted on the Humanities Stele, portraying the downtrend of original thought inside the Institute.

These students were frozen in their over-eager tracks, however, upon the entrant of the second and more shocking part of the delegation. Doge Humpderink himself strode into the hallway, arms folded inside wide, sweeping sleeves from Lyradisan looms. He stands, watching with dispassionate eye, surveying all of the steles and the entirety of the main plaza. Out from behind his flowing robes step scribes, each one walking with stately pace to a different stele, and affixing a short scroll to each.

The students wait for the group to leave, and then stream to read the mysterious document, copying and chattering to themselves.

It reads as follows.

Quote Originally Posted by The Universal Principle, by Doge Humperdink the Just
    Introduction: War
    It is a fact widely accepted that the many regions of the world disagree on many things. They stand off over land, they argue over succession, and they go to war because of belief. This is accepted by all: none can dispute the Universal Principle that nations will war if they are given proper motivation.

The question of this paper is presented by that dire statement: what is proper motivation? Again, we find universal principles: self defense, justified. For grievances, justified. To enslave, unjustified. To destroy, unjustified.

The Universal Principle of war: justified by defending right, unjust if attacking right. But what of a principle above all principles:the principles of convicting faith. Can a war based on faith be right? If we examine it more closely, we find that it is clear. Religious war is, oddly, immoral.

Contention: Logic
    Follow the thought: War, to be "just", requires justification. Justice is what one would call a Universal Principle: something that everyone recognizes. There is no civilized country which condones murder, and none that condones the enslaving of other nations. This is because murder and enslaving are universally unjust. Thus, they are universally the opposite of a reason for war. This leads to the conclusion: if something is to be a "justification", it must be a part of Justice, which is a universal concept.

So, war should only be declared if it is just, correct? I must presume goodness or at least a desire for justice here in my readers, so I link the necessity of right reason to the universality of those reasons. If something is a good enough reason for war, it must be universally believed. This is the problem with faith:

It is a matter for an individual. Each person choses what he or she believes, making it quite the opposite of a Universal Principle. Each person has their own faith, true, and each believes in rightness. But since each person believes differently, then each faith must belong to them alone, not to the world, or even to a nation.

War is a dangerous game, and of such a threat to the lives of citizens that a good ruler will only muster those citizens if it is just. However, it is impossible for faith, something that cannot motivate all those citizens, or make fanatics of more than a few. Thus, the warmongering ruler is risking the lives of citizens for something that they do not believe in, and does not have the power of universal right behind it either.

Conclusion: Acceptance
    This is the logic I present in defense of my Universal Principle: faith, conviction, religion, is a great part of all of our lives. It drives great men, great peoples, to lead great nations. But look at the many sides, the many points of view: why is it that any one of them should be totally correct, to the exclusion of others? And what of the beliefs with overlap, the way Rajurda folds the Lord of Fire inside itself, or Yphine mirrors those beliefs?

I present thus my solution: all faiths, being as they are a representation of a person's unique view, are equally valid. Faith is present as a means of ordering life, and it does so beautifully. Yet we cannot use faith to cause war, use order as an excuse for chaos. Faith may spread, from nation to nation: this is right, this is good, this is JUST. Explaining faith to others is perfectly logical.

But in order to expect others to listen to you, you must expect to listen to others.

This is the basis of friendly relations. A war does not change the minds of the conquered, it only embitters them. True faith can only come through words, not wars. This, then, is the solution: accept others, allow others to speak. Let each faith speak to the hearts of men on its own merit.

This shall be the way of the Guilderenes: henceforth, this academy shall be home to many of all faiths, a place of true openness. Let the world take note.
    The students, from every nation, step back in silence. What is this strange idea, "acceptance"? What had caused Humperdink to come, in person, to present this? And of course, the most pressing question on their deep-thinking, soul-staring minds:

Could it possibly be used to justify getting more grants for their projects?

- - - Updated - - -

Show
    Let's fet this RP started.

Celestia nervously approached the front gate of the Institute. The guards eyed her warily. She reached into her left pocket and pulled out an envelope.

"Um, I have, um, permission to study here?" She uncertainly offered the envelope, her hand shaking.
    "Fresh Face"

A pterid swoops in from overhead, wings blasting away the dusty gates, and annoying the guards on the battlements to no end. "Don't you Rannarans 'ave no r'spect for oth'rs?!?" bellows the Captain of the Guard, a tough-speaking man with a sailor's cut-off slang. The half-dressed wildman makes no comment, instead leaning over the battlement to look on this new recruit.

The quetzalcoutlus screeches, its 6-foot mouth gaping wide. The Captain growls, clearly already mad, and looks down at you. "'Oo 're you?!" He opens the gate, disappearing behind the battlements, and reappearing in the anteroom. "Lemme see those paypas?"

Spoiler: OOC: Threads
    Show

The main OOC thread is [here], the main IC thread is [here], and in the first post of the first thread, you can see a number of other IC threads. Problem is that there are 26 IC threads, old, new, and outdated; and 4 OOC threads, outdated and new. It'd be easier to just ask a question of someone, or editing if there's an issue... Cause there is *SO* much fluff. Perhaps talk to Morph Bark?

I can also give you the summary, if that'll help.
    Last edited by SamBurke; 2014-04-17 at 10:16 PM.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Celestia chewed on her lip as she listened to a group of students discuss forcing people into experiments for science.

Then the Doge arrived.

Celestia read over her allotted paper, absently twirling a strand of her blond hair. Justification for war? And now everyone is using this as an excuse for money? Celestia shook her head. She understood the importance of funds, she was a medical student after all, but finding some philosophical excuse for cash was... well, selfish. From her experience with anyone trying to get funding, it was usually just to advance their own careers and not for a higher end. Someone jostled her and she nearly fell, disrupting several people, deep in conversation.

"Sorry! I'm jsut clumsy." She tried to smile apologetically in their cold faces. "Yeah, I'll be going now..."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Celestia chewed on her lip as she listened to a group of students discuss forcing people into experiments for science.

Then the Doge arrived.

Celestia read over her allotted paper, absently twirling a strand of her blond hair. Justification for war? And now everyone is using this as an excuse for money? Celestia shook her head. She understood the importance of funds, she was a medical student after all, but finding some philosophical excuse for cash was... well, selfish. From her experience with anyone trying to get funding, it was usually just to advance their own careers and not for a higher end. Someone jostled her and she nearly fell, disrupting several people, deep in conversation.

"Sorry! I'm jsut clumsy." She tried to smile apologetically in their cold faces. "Yeah, I'll be going now..."
    "Hey, don't worry about it," the young man she had bumped into smiled, "Can you believe this?" He held up the scroll they had just been given.

"Faith in anything is why we go to war, whether it be a just war or an unjust war, we believe we'll win or we'll be rewarded for doing the right thing if we lose. It's the same as any endeavor for profit. The Doge should know that. Name's Jathan by the way," the young man said extending his tanned hand towards the girl.
    Last edited by QuintonBeck; 2014-04-18 at 11:11 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Amazing Avatar by Qwernt! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    The whole world is held aloft by a dragon.

That dragon? Held aloft by a bigger dragon.

It's dragons all the way up
    Beat the bejesus out of a Paladin

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Celestia grinned apologetically "Nice to meet you. I'm Celestia. Dorky name? I know. But my dad was an astronomer and wanted me to have a celestial name, if you know what I mean." She winked. Her face grew in seriousness. "Perhaps the Doge is trying to test us or something?" She tapped her chin. "How many students are new here?"
    Last edited by Aella; 2014-04-18 at 11:27 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

"A pleasure Celestia. An astronomer, huh? I'm guessing you're Bordeusi then?"

Jathan looked around, "I think everyone in here is, at least, that's my assumption. Everyone kinda broke into groups pretty fast though so I'm not sure."

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Celestia laughed "I'm no astronomer. My dad was, but I've never had the patience to stay up all night mapping constellations. I'm a medical student."

"If everyone is new here, then I think the Doge is testing us, trying to see if we're really pursuing science and not money."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

"Ah, the medical sciences, a worthy field. I myself am a practitioner of alchemy and Guilder's the leading developer in the field, so here I am," he said, throwing his hands up to encapsulate their surroundings, "I certainly hope that's not the case, I'm here to pursue science in order to pursue money. It's what the guilds at home do, it's what Guilder stands for, and what I thought this institute was built for. Unfortunately, the new Doge isn't quite as attuned with the nature of profit like his father was, so you may be right."

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Celestia considered Jathan's words. "Science is often pursued by money, true, but should money be the end goal?" Smiling, she quickly changed tactics. "My mother was a doctor, you could say I took after her, rather than my father. You wouldn't happen to know where we're all staying, would you?"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

"If not money, than what?" Jathan asked, a genuinely puzzled look on his face.

"No, I think the school masters are going to tell us in a bit. At least, I hope that's the plan, I don't know this place at all."

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    "If not money, than what?" Jathan asked, a genuinely puzzled look on his face.

"No, I think the school masters are going to tell us in a bit. At least, I hope that's the plan, I don't know this place at all."
    Celestia twirled a strand of her hair. "Money should not be the penultimate motive for science, is what I mean. Some sciences, maybe, but most should be pursued for the betterment or advancement of society or an individual. Philosophy would be a prime example of individual-driven science." Glancing around for a map, she continued "I hope he does it soon, my is heavy after a long trip."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

"Philosophy is driven to understand what people will allow so that profit might be made easier by way of understanding how to manipulate people, at least, the good philosophy is. Society and especially an individual can only be advanced if they have the funds to do so," Jathan said, enjoying the girl's opposing view and wondering how one so selflessly minded would manage in a Guilderene academy.

"I hope so too, I'd quite like to have somewhere to set down my things."

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

"Philosophy is driven to understand what people will allow so that profit might be made easier by way of understanding how to manipulate people, at least, the good philosophy is. Society and especially an individual can only be advanced if they have the funds to do so," Jathan said, enjoying the girl's opposing view and wondering how one so selflessly minded would manage in a Guilderene academy.

"I hope so too, I'd quite like to have somewhere to set down my things."
    "I would strongly disagree with your point!" Her eyes flashed with indignation at how someone so selfishly minded could pursue higher ideas. "Money is not the end goal of all life. If it were, life would be misery. Manipulation of people is more of a twisted version of pschology, if you ask me, not philosophy." As her voice rose, Celestia paused and smoothed the front of her shirt. "Resources are necessary for production and advancement of a given society. But when money becomes the chief goal, corruption begins to take hold." Waving her arms, she continued. "Look at history! Any nation that becomes corrupt eventually collapses. If money becomes the chief goal, we will not last as a nation."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

"Guilder and Hrathan-Tuor, my home nation, have both withstood half a century with primary focus on pursuing the wisest investment decisions so as to maximize profits. I don't know of which nations you speak of, but money and profit serves as a universal truth and motivator for all deeds, good and ill, and has kept our nations moving forward. To focus on the poor decisions made for profit instead of all the good the promise of monetary gain has done the world is rather narrow minded," Jathan chided the girl, as if explaining a simple principle.

He had heard of strange ideas held by those outside the Guilds, but to think money and profit could lead only to disaster, what a preposterous idea.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

"Guilder and Hrathan-Tuor, my home nation, have both withstood half a century with primary focus on pursuing the wisest investment decisions so as to maximize profits. I don't know of which nations you speak of, but money and profit serves as a universal truth and motivator for all deeds, good and ill, and has kept our nations moving forward. To focus on the poor decisions made for profit instead of all the good the promise of monetary gain has done the world is rather narrow minded," Jathan chided the girl, as if explaining a simple principle.

He had heard of strange ideas held by those outside the Guilds, but to think money and profit could lead only to disaster, what a preposterous idea.
    "The world is in need of commerce, of course. Money is a decent concern in this world. But when how much money a person has defines them, that leads to disaster of one's character." Celestia sighed. She was more than accustomed to being misunderstood. "But corruption and money are linked when people go to any length to obtain it. Monetary gain has surely done good things for the world, but what of other motivations? Are not the pure pursuits of knowledge, wisdom, or understanding worth being the prime goal of some sciences?"

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

"The world is in need of commerce, of course. Money is a decent concern in this world. But when how much money a person has defines them, that leads to disaster of one's character." Celestia sighed. She was more than accustomed to being misunderstood. "But corruption and money are linked when people go to any length to obtain it. Monetary gain has surely done good things for the world, but what of other motivations? Are not the pure pursuits of knowledge, wisdom, or understanding worth being the prime goal of some sciences?"
    "Why would you pursue such things if not to use them to your advantage to profit from? Simply because? That's hardly a reason, if one at all. I can't see myself running after something just for some vague promise of 'understanding' or 'enlightenment'. Let the monks in the temples worry themselves with such inane goals, the actual changes and actions upon Telluris are enacted by those who follow goals that lead to profit."

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

Celestia shrugged. "Believe what you will. I cannot change that. But as the desire for money has risen in this institution," she nodded to the chart showing the downturn of original thought in the Institution, "there are negative effects."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Celestia shrugged. "Believe what you will. I cannot change that. But as the desire for money has risen in this institution," she nodded to the chart showing the downturn of original thought in the Institution, "there are negative effects."
    Another young man inserted himself into the discussion, flipping back a sailor-style ponytail. "Ah! Making an argument based on economics... a low blow, but with a man of H-T, it'll probably work." He bows to Jathan. "Fellow man of the guilds! Perhaps it'd be easier to explain to her why money makes the world go round?" He takes a glance at the bags littering the floor and thinks better.

"Willing to bet you two need a place to stay! Well, I can find at least one room... hope you don't mind." He winks and waits until Celestia is thoroughly scandalized before continuing. "Joking. Mostly. For a little while at least, you'll start out in your own sections." The unnamed man grabs Celestia's bags, clipping them to a thick leather belt and bandolier. Pointing to a wide, low, tunnel, he walks down towards the alchemy and medicine wing.

"Everyone starts out in their own section, own room... until they get a project. You'll find one walking around, or you'll get dragged, drafted, or bought in. Someone'll need an extra medic to help sew up bodies, or an alchemist to get rid of evidence, and one of you will get called in! Or perhaps both. Alchemical medicine's a great field... We've been reviewing Sympol findings there... combat drugs are quite fascinating. AH! Here you are! And... I've neglected to introduce myself again. My apologies." The man sets down your bags and points to two rooms.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [EMPIRE][Open, Ongoing] The Technical Institute for Brilliant Minds

Jathan followed the instructive man as he walked them into the Institute and to the two rooms.

"A pleasure to meet another man with a mind for money. I am Jathan of the Fetu Guild in Hrathan," he bowed his head towards the other young man, "and I thank you for the kindness though I suspect you have just bought a favor from me with your guidance..." he trailed off to await a name.

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

Another young man inserted himself into the discussion, flipping back a sailor-style ponytail. "Ah! Making an argument based on economics... a low blow, but with a man of H-T, it'll probably work." He bows to Jathan. "Fellow man of the guilds! Perhaps it'd be easier to explain to her why money makes the world go round?" He takes a glance at the bags littering the floor and thinks better.

"Willing to bet you two need a place to stay! Well, I can find at least one room... hope you don't mind." He winks and waits until Celestia is thoroughly scandalized before continuing. "Joking. Mostly. For a little while at least, you'll start out in your own sections." The unnamed man grabs Celestia's bags, clipping them to a thick leather belt and bandolier. Pointing to a wide, low, tunnel, he walks down towards the alchemy and medicine wing.

"Everyone starts out in their own section, own room... until they get a project. You'll find one walking around, or you'll get dragged, drafted, or bought in. Someone'll need an extra medic to help sew up bodies, or an alchemist to get rid of evidence, and one of you will get called in! Or perhaps both. Alchemical medicine's a great field... We've been reviewing Sympol findings there... combat drugs are quite fascinating. AH! Here you are! And... I've neglected to introduce myself again. My apologies." The man sets down your bags and points to two rooms.
    Celestia pinched the bridge of her nose, her ears and cheeks all but going up in smoke.
    "So what do I own you for this favor? If that's how the world works around here." She sighed.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Jathan followed the instructive man as he walked them into the Institute and to the two rooms.

"A pleasure to meet another man with a mind for money. I am Jathan of the Fetu Guild in Hrathan," he bowed his head towards the other young man, "and I thank you for the kindness though I suspect you have just bought a favor from me with your guidance..." he trailed off to await a name.
    [OOC: I've made a few updates to the OP, tell me what y'all think!]

"I'm the housemaster. And... perhaps. I am paid to shuttle you around, so I am getting repaid. But since you mention it, there may be some favors down the road. Not that I really mind having a favor from you on the bill right now."

Celestia pinched the bridge of her nose, her ears and cheeks all but going up in smoke.
    "So what do I own you for this favor? If that's how the world works around here." She sighed.
    "The point of a favor is that I don't tell you yet." He winks. "Though I can certainly already think of favors I'd ask for... but you're lucky! I'm rather nice compared to some. I just prefer delightfully artistic chaos. So, you'll find the people who hate Hathran-Tuor there..." he points down the hall, "The bad medical students there, the ones you'll get confused with at first..." He points to the same set of doors. Apparently, those with a grudge against assassins fail to really work hard in pre-med.

He stops, looking at both of you. "What? Just 'cause I'm the housemaster doesn't mean I do everything to help you... Alright! Alright!" The housemaster holds up both hands in surrender. "I know a great project for you, best one in the Institute. I can get you on... but you'd owe me a second favor." He winks at Jathan and waggles both eyebrows rakishly towards Celestia. A passing student slaps him for you.

"Being horrid again."

"Ah! My favorite stoic lady! I wanted you to meet these two promising students! They're perfect for your project."

She stares blankly, not at him, or you, or any person in particular. If you follow her line of sight, in fact, it appears to be fixated on a wall torch. "I don't have a project."

"PRECISELY! That's why I want these folks on it." Another wink to the cold-hearted new lady, and the housemaster is off, sailor's outfit bouncing as he jogs.

She says nothing.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

Celestia nodded her full approval of the woman as she was dragged away by the, erm, bouncy housemaster. He still had her luggage and she was loathe to let it out of her sight.

"Who was that, and who are you?" Celestia asked, nonchalantly, but firmly plucking her bag from the man.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

"I am Ada. That was the housemaster." Without further ado, she opens Celestia's door and helps her place the bags inside. She works quietly, fingers not quick or slow, not anything more than simply efficient, and begins opening things, hanging them up, placing tools, saws, and needles together, books over there, clothes hanging from a long crack in the windowsill. Ada still says nothing more.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

Celestia swallowed as she helped. Her muscles tensed with every move and room filled with suffocating apprehension. She hung the last jacket on the rack and turned to face Ada, outstretching her arm.

"I don't believe we've been introduced. I'm Celestia." She shook the woman's hand. "Why did the housemaster think an alchemy student and an medical student would be perfect for a non-existent project? And what is his name?"

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Jathan left the two young women in the other room as he entered his own and began to unpack but he listened in through his open door to their conversation. He was unpacked quickly, having brought little but a change of clothes from Hrathan and he exited back into the hall.

"Say, that housemaster fellow said you had a project, how much does it cost to get in?" he asked, ignoring her earlier statement as not having one.

She wouldn't be here if she didn't have a project after all.

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

Celestia turned to Jathan, slightly annoyed at his interruption.

"Jathan, why don't we find out her name first?" She suggested. Celestia could use someone who actually knew what they were doing. She was just the daughter of a local herbalist, seeking both higher education and research or even experiments for further remedies.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Celestia swallowed as she helped. Her muscles tensed with every move and room filled with suffocating apprehension. She hung the last jacket on the rack and turned to face Ada, outstretching her arm.

"I don't believe we've been introduced. I'm Celestia." She shook the woman's hand. "Why did the housemaster think an alchemy student and an medical student would be perfect for a non-existent project? And what is his name?"
    Jathan left the two young women in the other room as he entered his own and began to unpack but he listened in through his open door to their conversation. He was unpacked quickly, having brought little but a change of clothes from Hrathan and he exited back into the hall.

"Say, that housemaster fellow said you had a project, how much does it cost to get in?" he asked, ignoring her earlier statement as not having one.

She wouldn't be here if she didn't have a project after all.
    "His name is his own business... He seems embarrassed by it, though." Ada continues to clean the room, thinking carefully about the question. "How skilled are you?"

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII