New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: D&D 4e - Athas' Second Fall - IC Thread

Spoiler: Dominic
    Show

Weirdly enough, the strange letters on the tome that you couldn't understand initially start reorganizing themselves into letters you do recognize. You've never seen this caligraphy, but it is stunningly well-written.
    From the gods
    as good as dead
    a girl shall rise from
    and change she will lead

She is locked in her own prisons
    prisons built from sand
    prisons built from her mind
    prisons that will soon end

She feels several things in her thougts
    she doesn't know why
    she is bound to become a goddess
    and this is all true because it rhymes.

Does anyone want to read what Dominic's also reading? No Religion checks needed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    The Joker is supposed to be a nightmarish figure, the culmination of all things despicable and horrible about mankind. Of course he's a hipster.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Gillein will slide over for a peak when the look on Dominics face shows he can actually read it. He'd been expecting a bit more frustrastion in the expression, so the lack of that will draw his attention.

3. - Top - End - #33

Chimera

"Well," The mage began, eyebrow raised with a strange sardonic grin on his face. "It sounds somewhat prophetic. Though if not for the odd, ever-changing script I don't think I'd have normally put much stock into it. But, it did lead us to a rather lovely girl trapped within the catacombs, so who knows? Maybe this isn't some pipe fueled fantasy dreamt up by a crazed psion."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

Fionna also stepped over to examine the text. That's strangely coincidental. What sort of person writes such an insane poem? What sort of person reads such an insane poem? She decides it would be a good idea to get to a place around other people.

"It's awfully how out here. How far is this Teer place?"

DM'ing Trouble In Orlane IC | OOC

Stick figure character portraits I've made for myself and others.

"I think most gamemasters would agree that their world functions significantly more smoothly before the PCs ever show up." -

5. - Top - End - #35

Chimera

"It's awfully hot everywhere, my dear. And it only gets hotter. Anyways, Tyr," He enunciated. "Is about 2 and a half days travel to the west. Come, the sooner we depart, the sooner we'll reach the Free City."

6. - Top - End - #36

Hot everywhere? Damn.

"We'd best get going then." She turns away from the group and lets out a long, loud whistle. Nothing happens.

"I think most gamemasters would agree that their world functions significantly more smoothly before the PCs ever show up." -

7. - Top - End - #37

Udai shakes his head, blinking several times. It feels as if his ind had been in a fog for the last several hours. He vaguely recalled the events that unfolded, though cannot think of his actions in them. He grimaces at the thought, then quikly dismisses it.

"Tyr," he says slowly, repeating after the human, "It has been a long time since I visited the Free City. The journey there is dangerous; the desert, unforgiving. Do you believe yourselves prepared for it?" His grey eyes scan the motley crew gathered in the room. "I live in the wastes, but you humans, and elves . . . you are soft. This shall not be easy."
    Last edited by Ardurious; 2014-04-24 at 07:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tohek View Post
    Moral Gray Area + Wizard We Can't Beat = Let's Follow Him

8. - Top - End - #38

Sabquiri crossed the circle that the group had naturally formed until he stood toe-to-toe with Udai. "Prepare yourself, orc. You are not the only one accustomed to the deserts beyond civilization. Do you think I came by this complexion," he gestured to his face, "by lounging in a palace?" He moved past him, brushing shoulders with Udai. A moment of guilt crossed his conscience. Was not such pride and braggadocio a sign of his former life? Still, it was the half-orc's arrogance - he was merely responding in kind. Choosing the most obvious westerly direction based on the location of the sun, he began to walk.
    Last edited by Indori; 2014-04-24 at 09:01 PM.
    Me? I'm the king of the twentieth century.
    I'm the bogeyman. The villain.

Spoiler: Current Roster...
    Show
    Orrick Drummond ??? Luin Shei

The Dragon Empire
    PF - IC - OOC
    Saldora, the Ringed World
    D&D 4E - IC - OOC
    In the Shadow of Titans
    SWSE - IC - OOC

9. - Top - End - #39

Chimera

Gillein chuckles, "I'm a hair less human than you might think and one thing the pits were not was soft." Turning and walking away at a steady clip, he continues "But we can share pleasentries while we walk. From what little I recall travelling at night will help with the heat problem, if you don't mind sleeping during the day. If we're going that route, you're welcome to give it a try in a few hours. I've got no complaints there. Travel under the night sky has a certain beauty to it."
    Last edited by Shimeran; 2014-04-24 at 10:45 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40

Chimera

"I am completely human, and spent most of my free time growing up with my nose buried in a musty old book. Clearly, I am the manliest and most rugged member of our group." Dominic interjects, mirth and sarcasm coating his words in equal measure.

11. - Top - End - #41

Chimera

Gillein slow slights and throws back, "Really? I don't suppose you heard of titles like the 'Libre de Crimen Noctis'? I had a friend who was quite a collector of odd tracts." If Dominic is interested, Gillein is ready and willing to debate the merits of various arcane texts on the long walk to Tyr.
    Last edited by Shimeran; 2014-04-26 at 09:45 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Just as you'd start to walk towards Tyr, your hear someone scream for your northwest.

"There they are! They've gotten here before us! We cannot let them escape with the Demigoddess! Abalach-Re needs her power!"

An arrow made out of force energy comes flying towards Gillein, hitting him and knocking him away from the group. A cart carrying a wagon comes towards the group, and its driver gets out of the cart, pulling out a spear and a dagger as soon as he can, while a man who is dressed up in sort of a military uniform, carrying only a small carved rod on his hand, gets out from the wagon, by the back, and 5 poorly armed and poorly dressed men get out of the wagon by the front.

Battle Map

Gillein:
    Spoiler
    Show

(3d6+7)[19] force damage, you're pushed 2 from the T (templar) position based on the position you choose.

Mid-dark orange: dune, difficult terrain.
    Yellow: Cart and wagon

Choose your places, and say that on the OOC thread when you're ready to go.
    The Joker is supposed to be a nightmarish figure, the culmination of all things despicable and horrible about mankind. Of course he's a hipster.

13. - Top - End - #43

Chimera

"I would recommend you leave us at once." The steel in Dominics voice as well as the glint in his eyes indicated this was anything but a request, and that refusal to comply would be result in dire consequences.

"My name is Dominic Jaeger, of the noble house of Jaeger of Tyr." He announced. "Acting on behalf of my father, Isaac Jaeger of the Templars of Tyr, I formally place the demigoddess Fionna under the protection of the Free City. Her needs and well being will henceforth, until a time where it is deemed unnecessary by the parties involved, be met and provided for by house Jaeger. Any attempts to violate these rights will be seen as an attack upon a noble house, and by proxy, the Free city itself."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    All that said, I really doubt they care. I'm also not quite sure I'd have the authority for this to be legally official. I know Dominics father, who probably could make it legally official, would back it if only to claim something that the city of Raam wants for Tyr. I figure that would apply to most of the big wigs in charge.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Show

The Sorcerer-Queen of Raam is the incompetent one. This is just the start of the fall. More leafs (leaves?) will come.

15. - Top - End - #45

More demigoddess talk. "Is everyone here insane? It must be the heat." she thinks to herself. She reaches for her blade and prepares for the fight, hoping dearly that the weapons and armor weren't just there for show.

Spoiler: Pre-battle actions
    Show

Standard action: Equip shield
    Minor action: draw sword
    Then Total Defense until combat starts
    Last edited by shamgar001; 2014-04-28 at 08:23 AM.

16. - Top - End - #46

Udai sighs wearily as the shouting begins. He is several paces behind his newly-acquired travelling companions when armed men begin leaping from the wagon that had slid to a halt some ways off. The long-haired human in the fine robes shouts something back to them. His voice is confident; commanding. Brave, this one. Udai thinks. Perhaps there is something to him, after all.

He slips his heavy bone blade out of its leather sheath on his back, shrugging it over his shoulder and to the ready. The steady hum of its enchantment urges him forward. He strides slowly, stretching his legs as he does so, before stopping some distance from the cart.

He eyes the man with the rod carefully. He wears a uniform unlike the clothing of those around him, albeit stained with sweat and worn from use all the same. Udai's eyes widen. The man wears the colors of a Raamite - a mansabdor. Udai's nostrils flare and his brow furrows.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Start at N7

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Ardurious; 2014-05-18 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Re-wrote some background and removed unneeded roll

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

"Dominic Jaeger, uh? You think your miserable House Jaeger - no, you think that Tyr, a city that is now in borderline anarchy, is going to be able to wage war on Raam? If you think so, tell me. I've got another arrow ready, and I'm not afraid to use it. Tyr was the first leaf. Raam is not going to be the second."

18. - Top - End - #48

Chimera

"You truly underestimate human nature." The wizard chuckled mockingly. "Sure, they squabble and bicker now, but if threatened by Raam, by the possibility of being subjugated by another Sorcerer-King, do you honestly think the people of Tyr will remain divided? The easiest way to bring a group together is to rally them against a common enemy. So if you really wish to be that enemy, the faceless nemesis that will unite the people of the Free City, then come forth, we shall be your opponents this day!"

19. - Top - End - #49

Chimera

Gillein takes a moment to regain his breath, his hand slipping slowly to his own rod. While doing so, he surveys the scraggly troop spreading out before him.
    Spoiler: actions
    Show
    I'll try to take a second wind if there's time (standard), readying my rod (minor), and trying to get a read on the common troops (move; Nature check (1d20+3)[13]).

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

"You don't understand. She's coming with us alive. You're coming with us dead."

And he fires an energy orb from his hand towards Dominic.

Show

(1d20+15)[32] vs AC
    (3d6+7)[13], and Dominic's pushed two squares

21. - Top - End - #51

"Enough of this," Udai growls. He starts towards the man with the rod, slowly picking up speed as he goes. After several feet, he is sprinting headlong towards the man, his great blade poised to strike. He lifts the great length of bone above his head and uses his momentum to bring it crashing into the man.

Show
    Move Action:
    Move to Q7

Standard Action:
    Charge to U6, using Howling Strike against the Templar at the end of the charge

Howling Strike
    (1d20+11)[17] vs. AC
    (1d12+5)[8]+(1d6)[3]+(1d8)[1] damage on a hit

Udai also uses Inevitable Strike (no action) to augment the attack:
    Second attack roll - (1d20+11)[31]
    If both attack rolls are hits, the Templar take an additional (1d8)[8] damage
    Last edited by Ardurious; 2014-05-18 at 12:29 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52

Spoiler: Crit!
    Show
    Woo!

31 damage from Howling Strike (12 from the weapon, 6 from the additional damage, 5 from Udai's Strength modifier, and 8 from the Vanguard enchantment) + 8 damage from Inevitable Strike (if the Templar has 17 AC or below) + (1d12)[11] damage from the fullblade's High Crit property + (1d8)[2] damage from the fullblade's enchantment

For a grand total of 52 damage!
    Last edited by Ardurious; 2014-04-28 at 08:45 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53

With a roar of effort, Udai pivots on his heel and brings his blade screaming back towards the man.

Spoiler: Rampage MBA
    Show
    (1d20+10)[15]
    (1d12+5)[9] damage on a hit

24. - Top - End - #54

Chimera

Gillein strides up around the other side of the dune bellowing "You liverless sons of sun adled lizards!". With a snap of his wrist, a bolt of light spears from the heavens at the driver.

Spoiler: actions
    Show
    Move: advancing from E1 to K1. Minor: Warlock's curse on rider (+1 AC from rod). Standard: Dire Radiance on Rider for (1d20+7)[25] vs fort, (2d6+5)[10] radiant damge on hit w/ second damage roll if he move closer.

25. - Top - End - #55

His anger renewed in the face of a mansabdor officer - for what else could this Raamite soldier be? - Udai takes another vicious swing at the man.

Show
    Desperate Fury
    (1d20+10)[12] vs. AC
    (1d12+5)[7]+5(Constitution modifier) damage on a hit

26. - Top - End - #56

"You will fall to me!" Udai roars, pushing himself to swing again.

Spoiler: Desperate Fury re-roll
    Show
    Udai will take 5 damage to re-roll the attack roll:
    (1d20+10)[20] vs. AC
    If this second attack roll misses, Udai takes an additional 5 damage

And a correction to the damage roll:
    (2d12+5)[20]+5 damage on a hit
    Last edited by Ardurious; 2014-05-18 at 12:30 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57

Fionna knows as much about these newcomers as the creatures she's currently with - that is to say, nothing at all. But if the ones she's with are insane, these are insane and extremely unpleasant, so she decides it's better to stick with the former.

She holds her shield up and prepares for anything.

Show

Standard action: Total defense

28. - Top - End - #58

Chimera

Shaking off the pain of the Templars previous assault, Dominic strides forward across the hot desert sands with Maia, his faithful companion, right at his heels.

"And now I'm angry." He hisses, eyes blazing with arcane power.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move from E3 to J6.

29. - Top - End - #59

Sabquiri watched the scene unfold with some surprise. Truth be told, this was the first time he'd been in this sort of situation in quite some time. Not since giving up the bandit lifestyle had he any cause to put his skills to use. Nevertheless, he had been armed by his master for a reason, and this sort of action was not to be unexpected. He whirled away from Dominic as he went down, following Udai's lead. He pulled a bone - the femur of...something - from a hook on his belt. At one end was a loop made from another long bone, bent into a circular shape and fastened as a head. The whole implement had been enchanted to be as hard as stone and to channel one's natural powers.

He crested the dune with surprising ease. Each step he took seemed not to disturb the sand, and he found unnatural purchase in the shifting sediment to propel himself along. Approaching the driver of the cart, Sabquiri whirled the rod around and around in an intricate pattern while locking his eyes on those of the driver. The rod providing a distraction, he attacked the driver's mind, trying to send him into a confused state. He urged him mentally that the drow before him was not the foe, but that his enemy had just exited the wagon behind him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Minor action: draw the rod.
    Move action: Drunken Monkey - move speed +2 to N3, ignoring difficult terrain.
    Standard action: Drunken Monkey attack on the driver. "Drunken Monkey" - (1d20+8)[14] against Will.

Spoiler: If that hits
    Show
    If that hits, I'll immediately use Centered Flurry of Blows on the driver. He'll take 5 damage, and I'll slide him to O2.
    Then Drunken Monkey will take effect. He'll take (1d8+6)[13] damage, then I'll slide him to P2. Then, he'll make a MBA against the slave at Q2, with a +3 bonus to the attack roll.

Spoiler: Edit
    Show
    Oops, I goofed on my ability modifiers. Drunken Monkey will do 1 point less damage. Only 1d8+5.
    Last edited by Indori; 2014-05-02 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Flavor. Ability mod correction.
    Me? I'm the king of the twentieth century.
    I'm the bogeyman. The villain.

Spoiler: Current Roster...
    Show
    Orrick Drummond ??? Luin Shei

The Dragon Empire
    PF - IC - OOC
    Saldora, the Ringed World
    D&D 4E - IC - OOC
    In the Shadow of Titans
    SWSE - IC - OOC

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

The impact of the charging mountain of muscles on the frail templar knocks the officer into the ground, bleeding profusely all around his body. The rider, confused by both the light from the Mul's rod and the lightning-fast attack of the monk, accidentally stabs one slave in the face, and you can see several wounds on his back.

Spoiler: Rider actions
    Show

(1d20+10)[29] vs 13
    (2d4+5)[10] damage

A few slaves are pissed off with the barbarian - who has nearly killed their leader in a flurry of attacks - and rush, trying to overwhelm him.

Spoiler: Slave 1 and Slave 3 actions
    Show

Slave 1 charges Udai.
    (1d20+8)[11] vs AC
    8 damage if hit

Slave 3 attacks Udai.
    (1d20+5)[19] vs AC
    8 damage if hit

Now Udai, you have a turn, followed by Gillein.

The Slave attacked by the Rider falls down, screaming in pain, dying shortly after.
    Last edited by GPuzzle; 2014-05-02 at 01:52 PM.