New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Default A Clockwork Paranoia

Yeah, I know it's young, not so professional (the site at least, being a blog) and very not on par with OOTS or other webcomics posted here, but I'd like your sincere opinion about our work.
    It's a noir/horror/weird fiction webcomic, written by me (Federico Mita) and penciled, inked and coloured by Natascia Mora. We've got only three pages, for now, because we can't work on it full time, but we are proud of our little accomplishment and we'd like to let it be known more amongst the webcomics fans. :)
    (we also have a Facebook page and a Deviantart)
    Last edited by Carrion Pigeon; 2014-04-18 at 03:34 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: A Clockwork Paranoia

So...no one?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

The site navigation is bad. Clicking on a flag every time to read a comic is bad. Perhaps have a separate site for each language.

Get a format where you click first, next, previous last, instead of scrolling down to see the first strip.

The comic pages are too small. One can click on them to see the whole thing, but it is still too small and when the pages shown like that you can't zoom in on them. (At least in my browser.)

The art is good.

There is not enough content to judge the story. You should have more story up before you start promoting the comic. If people look at it now, they are not likely to come back, because there is not enough story yet to tell if it is any good.

When promoting your comic, don’t say bad stuff about it.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

I have to agree on a lot of those points. Most definitely on the language issue. I would suggest either what was already said, and upload the different language versions to their own site, or put both on display by default. Forcing an entire section of the audience to click an additional button per page is not the best way to attract readers.

I looked, and I did find navigation buttons beneath each page that linked correctly, so that's good. I would add a link, or button, or something on the main page that will always take you to the beginning of the story. That makes it a lot easier for new readers to get started. Having to scroll through a blog, or try to figure out the date that it started is bad for navigation, and will turn people off. In fact, I might just think about switching to ComicPress or something comparable. Blog format doesn't really work with webcomics.

The art is very good, what little of it there is. I'm not sure I can offer any suggestions on how to improve that. Likewise, the story has potential, but that's all I can really say for three pages. I would read a fourth, if that helps.

I think the site itself is the biggest issue right now, but the comic is still young enough that that is very easy to fix. Look into alternate formats of content management; anything but a blog. Perhaps ask other webcomic creators what they use. Maybe think about hosting on WordPress, or something. That one seems to be pretty popular.

Anyway, I hope that some of that was useful. Perhaps when you have a few chapters finished, there might be something to discuss, story-wise. Until then, I wish you the best of luck!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

First of all, thank you both for the feedback! It always helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorsby View Post
    The site navigation is bad. Clicking on a flag every time to read a comic is bad. Perhaps have a separate site for each language.

Get a format where you click first, next, previous last, instead of scrolling down to see the first strip.
    We have those buttons on every post, also in English. Unfortunately, I can't do much about the navigation system, I'm not good at all at coding. But I'll try improving it!
    As for the flag, I think it would be dispersive to do a site for every language, but we'll consider your suggestion.

The comic pages are too small. One can click on them to see the whole thing, but it is still too small and when the pages shown like that you can't zoom in on them. (At least in my browser.)
    Uhm...if the pages is still too small after you click it, you can right click it and visualize it in full size. Or read the comic on the ISSUU widget on the right, where you can zoom more easely. Do you think it would be better to post directly in a bigger size?
    The art is good.

There is not enough content to judge the story. You should have more story up before you start promoting the comic. If people look at it now, they are not likely to come back, because there is not enough story yet to tell if it is any good.
    Yeah, maybe that's a mistake on my part, but we both work on it on spare time, so I decided to give it a try now instead of waiting months. I hope it's not a huge one.
    When promoting your comic, don’t say bad stuff about it.
    Well, I was just trying not to appear presumptious or silly to post a webcomic like mine here, so I anticipated something.

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralCheez View Post
    I have to agree on a lot of those points. Most definitely on the language issue. I would suggest either what was already said, and upload the different language versions to their own site, or put both on display by default. Forcing an entire section of the audience to click an additional button per page is not the best way to attract readers.
    Being a blog, I thought having posts too long would be bad. So you think it would be better with long sposts without any spoilers for the languages? Wouldn't that be a bit chaotic? (not a rethorical question)
    I looked, and I did find navigation buttons beneath each page that linked correctly, so that's good. I would add a link, or button, or something on the main page that will always take you to the beginning of the story. That makes it a lot easier for new readers to get started. Having to scroll through a blog, or try to figure out the date that it started is bad for navigation, and will turn people off.
    Thanks, I'll add one! :)
    In fact, I might just think about switching to ComicPress or something comparable. Blog format doesn't really work with webcomics.
    I know, but with no money to spend on it and without the know-how to create a webpage, I've little choices left.
    About ComicPress...isn't that a software to add to a site you host on a "private" server? Or you could add it to whataver site you want, like blogspot? Sorry, I'm not very skilled.
    The art is very good, what little of it there is. I'm not sure I can offer any suggestions on how to improve that. Likewise, the story has potential, but that's all I can really say for three pages. I would read a fourth, if that helps.
    Thank you very much, I hope you'll stick around for the next one! I'll update on this topic, if it isn't a big annoyance. I don't want to be a spammer.
    I think the site itself is the biggest issue right now, but the comic is still young enough that that is very easy to fix. Look into alternate formats of content management; anything but a blog. Perhaps ask other webcomic creators what they use. Maybe think about hosting on WordPress, or something. That one seems to be pretty popular.
    Yeah, the site is a big issue. It wasn't easy picking blogspot, but I don't know any sites who let you host your comic for free and gives you the format without having to design all the site by yourself. I can ask around if someone can help me with the web-design part, but the problem of the hosting remains, because I currently can't afford to spend money on it monthly.
    Isn't WordPress another blogs site?
    By the way, I'll try bothering some webcomic artists about their sites. :)
    Anyway, I hope that some of that was useful. Perhaps when you have a few chapters finished, there might be something to discuss, story-wise. Until then, I wish you the best of luck!
    Thanks! :)
    Reviews are ALWAYS useful, they help us get better. We have our limits, but we always try to overcome them and to deliver a good webcomic. Thank you VERY much guys, trying to do these things alone is hard (the co-author of A Clockwork Paranoia is worse than me, on these things), but suggestions and critiques are a HUGE help. Really.

Edit/P.S.: one of the reasons I chose blogspot, besides being free and not too much difficult to use, is because if we get some revenue from the ads, I would give it all to the artist, she deserves it.
    Last edited by Carrion Pigeon; 2014-04-21 at 06:28 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

There are free comic hosts. I've been using Comicfury. http://comicfury.com/index.php
    It has sometimes been slow and briefly down so I don't know if I would recommend it. But it's easy to use.

A lot of people use smack jeeves. http://www.smackjeeves.com/
    I've never tried it. I believe the free version has a size limit for each strip.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

There are free comic hosts. I've been using Comicfury. http://comicfury.com/index.php
    It has sometimes been slow and briefly down so I don't know if I would recommend it. But it's easy to use.

I've never tried it. I believe the free version has a size limit for each strip.
    Thanks, I'll look it up!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Carrion Pigeon View Post
    Being a blog, I thought having posts too long would be bad. So you think it would be better with long sposts without any spoilers for the languages? Wouldn't that be a bit chaotic? (not a rethorical question)
    Actually, yeah, that would be pretty chaotic. Not sure where I was going with that. Maybe add them in separate posts, as in, when it updates, have two posts, one for each language?

I know, but with no money to spend on it and without the know-how to create a webpage, I've little choices left.
    About ComicPress...isn't that a software to add to a site you host on a "private" server? Or you could add it to whataver site you want, like blogspot? Sorry, I'm not very skilled.
    Upon further research, it looks like it is in fact a plugin you add to a server you either own or rent. It doesn't look like it would be compatible with free hosting services like Blogspot. Sorry about that.

I can ask around if someone can help me with the web-design part, but the problem of the hosting remains, because I currently can't afford to spend money on it monthly.
    Right now, free hosting is probably the best option, but further down the line, if you think you might want to go full-time on it, or sell merchandise like books or prints or whatever, it might be worth investing in a professional hosting service that will let you customize the site to your heart's content. Again, not strictly necessary right now, but something to consider in the future. On the other hand, if a free service gets you everything you want and need out of your site, then there's really no need to spend the money. So, I guess, continue on in a free service until you can figure out the things you need from your site, then find something that will provide them.

Thanks! :)
    Reviews are ALWAYS useful, they help us get better. We have our limits, but we always try to overcome them and to deliver a good webcomic. Thank you VERY much guys, trying to do these things alone is hard (the co-author of A Clockwork Paranoia is worse than me, on these things), but suggestions and critiques are a HUGE help. Really.
    You are most welcome. I'm just glad to be of help once in a while.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Actually, yeah, that would be pretty chaotic. Not sure where I was going with that. Maybe add them in separate posts, as in, when it updates, have two posts, one for each language?
    Wouldn't that "steal" the attention from the first posted? I try to explain better. If I make to posts one immediately after the other, isn't there the risk that only the last would be considered? Or is it just a paranoia (hehe)?
    By the way, I also thought to post thumbnails of the two pages of each posts, each with its own flag on it, and to make them links, so when one clicks (for example) the thumbnail with the English flag, it opens directly the image as big as it is (just that, like clicking right with the mouse and opening it). The only problem would the navigation, because everyone would have to click "back" on the browser and reload the page every time. Would that be better or worse, than it is now (or than making two different posts)?

Upon further research, it looks like it is in fact a plugin you add to a server you either own or rent. It doesn't look like it would be compatible with free hosting services like Blogspot. Sorry about that.

Right now, free hosting is probably the best option, but further down the line, if you think you might want to go full-time on it, or sell merchandise like books or prints or whatever, it might be worth investing in a professional hosting service that will let you customize the site to your heart's content. Again, not strictly necessary right now, but something to consider in the future. On the other hand, if a free service gets you everything you want and need out of your site, then there's really no need to spend the money. So, I guess, continue on in a free service until you can figure out the things you need from your site, then find something that will provide them.
    Had I the money right now, I would do a "classic" webcomic site, but for now I just hope that the unconventional use of a blog doesn't disgust too much the webcomics aficionados. If I earn enough money, I'll invest them in a more professional site...otherwise, I'll just give 'em all to my co-author and maybe keep something to spend on advertising. We'll see where the sea bring us!

You are most welcome. I'm just glad to be of help once in a while.
    Some time in the future, I'll do a post for all the good souls who helped me on forums. When you start from nothing and you have only your legs to chase a dream with, just an opinion on whether or not your are going on the right direction is very helpful.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Fourth page is up! If you don't want to check all the posts, you can still read comfortably from the ISSUU widget on the right frame! :)
    As always, are very welcomed all kinds of feedbacks.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

I use both Comic Fury and Smack Jeeves as mirror sites for my comic. They use almost exactly the same formats (down to the same templates) and both can be used for free, so the only real difference between the two is how they display comics on the home page. In this regard, I've found Comic Fury to be vastly superior to Smack Jeeves, simply because their home page lists comics as their updated, whereas Smack Jeeves lists them by most popular, and promoted (ie. paid). On Comic Fury, it's a lot easier for people to stumble across your comic and give it a try, whereas on Smack Jeeves, they really want you to spend a little money to get on the front page. If you're going to spend money to promote your web comic, then Project Wonderful will probably get you more traffic IMHO.

We've also gotten a lot more feedback and comments from the good folks at Comic Fury, so that's always nice. Hope that's helpful to you, and let me know if you have any other questions I can help answer!
    I wrote a cyberpunk book you can read for free right here: http://www.glitchlogs.com/
    Enjoy! :)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

I went dark for a long time, but I'm back with a big announcement: a US publisher agreed to have us published if we do well with the downloadable FREE teaser of our webcomic! It would be the fulfillment of a dream and not only we would be able to go on with the story, but we could do so without months between pages! So, PLEASE download it and let us know what do you think about it!
    (keep in mind it's nowhere near a finished story)