Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default PTU: The Beginning (OoC)

A wild OoC has appeared!

> Fight > Pokemon
    > Item > Run
    So here we are along with our motley crew! First off I'd like to congratulate you all on getting in. Great job with your characters!

However, before we begin we have some quick housekeeping things to take care of. First off, you all need to figure out your relations among one another. As the group is small you almost certainly at least know one another but the extent is up to you guys. You also have a chance to modify your character mechanically and try to round out the party a bit more if you want although the current diversity will probably do. I'll also do a check on mechanics just to make sure everybody is alright.

Once we have all that sorted out we can begin!

Oh, and claim colors. Those are important.

Player Character Age
    TwilightKiwi Tobias Taylor 14
    carnackiArdent Clara Cato 16
    The Grim Author Sinclair 12
    Tybar Marcus Williams 16
    MrE Juliet 'Jules' Sands 15
    Hefty Lefty Wes Czizik 16

In Character: The Beginning
    Battlemap: Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.
    Last edited by Arcran; 2014-05-11 at 11:42 PM.
    Props to Ceika for the new and improved avatar!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by IrnBruAddict
    Yeah, but Arcran is the GM. Can we be sure of anything?
    I always picture Arc as LE, with CE tendancies
    Quote Originally Posted by Espirit15
    Arc is a good GM. Evil, but a good GM

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: PTU: The Beginning (OoC)

Awesome, thanks for picking Tobias! ^_^ I'll have more to say this evening after work, but for now, "Staking claim t' plain ol' black text for chatting, if it's all th' same t' you."
    Suffer the little creatures, for they may yet rise up and beat you senseless.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Staking my claim of Grey. If you prefer something more distinctive, then Green!

I'm good with having known anyone. He's probably friendlier to other fighters and to the youngest ones here.
    Help my pokemon grow!

I should really check on them...

4. - Top - End - #4

RangerGuy

Thank you! I'm very excited to be a part of this game! I'm in a theater and won't be able to post for a bit, but I would like to claim Red.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Glad to be here!

I think I'll claim Goldenrod as Clara's color. I'd take a lighter yellow but it'd be too hard to read. Actually, if that's too hard to read let me know and I'll find something darker.

Clara is liable to have been bopping around quite a bit, since she has a) all the funky and very helpful chemicals and b) a near-pathological desire to keep the group functional and together. Quite possibly a lot of meddling has occurred in the past; anyone who objects to being fussed over or to her butting in on arguments probably doesn't like her much.

Off the top of my head looking at everybody's backstories, she's probably worked with Sinclair a fair amount, seeing as he's a Medic and she can make medicine.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright, time to post the crunch check stuff!

TwilightKiwi - All good!

carnacki - All good!

Grim - Looks good!

Tybar - You need to specify which kind of Rope you have as well as the tent size. As is, I think you may be over cost; Weapon is 3,000 + 1,000 in Potions + 500 First Aid Kit + 900 (1 Person Tent) + At least 100 for your rope. I'd double check all that. Otherwise you're good!

MrE - Looks good!

Hefty - Looks good!

No major mechanical oversights which is great! Although not quite everybody has posted here yet I'm going to post up the IC and we can begin.

Here we go! If you have a question just ask!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7

RedKnightGirl

Juliet will have Blue.

Relationships wise: Juliet joined the group three years ago, when she arrived with a band of street kids she'd been part of. She used to be more outgoing, but has retreated into her shell a bit of late (since Stephen's band was kicked out), so people almost certainly know her, though not necessarily very well.
    Just had a crazy week, so if I have been silent in your games, I apologise profusely.

I'm really sorry to everyone, but work and real life have taken me away from the forum for the short term. I'm hoping to have everything sorted out by september, but in the meantime posting will be patchy at best, and possibly non-existent.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Toby is a friendly kid that gets around a lot - he's likely to know everyone who isn't an adult, and most people who consider themselves responsible for the group of survivors know of him as a bit of a menace but ultimately not a bad kid.

If we want to have more connections from the beginning, it makes sense to me that Toby was taken in by the same gang of street kids as Juliet after his family died, rather than some faceless second family. He should know Juliet pretty well and probably looks up to her more than a bit; it's up to you how much she would trust him, but I imagine they know each other's secrets. He teases her about her accent and often tries to imitate it, but in a playful rather than cruel way; he secretly thinks it's kind of cool. He does little to stem her fatalistic streak as it jives well with his recklessness, but maybe he helps to ground her (sometimes literally, if she starts floating around on accident) in other ways. Don't know if she would try to reign in his more dangerous impulses, encourage them, or just accept and go along with them. Though he's also likely to be trying to rope her into one scheme or another constantly. To the kids in their gang younger than him (and to a lesser extent, any other children in Aron's group), he tries to be a hero; he'll steal from or prank the bullies among the survivors (regardless of age) to the benefit of their victims, get in fights on their behalf, and loves sharing wildly exaggerated tales of his latest "adventures" (the line between reality and fiction is often blurry in them) with an enthralled audience.

For Clara, he's probably tried to pinch some of her more exotic substances a few times for pranking purposes, or even just if he was bored (oh look, everyone in the room's clothes just spontaneously dissolved! Whoops). Up to you if she's ever caught him, and what happened when she did. The theft might also have been a lighthearted payback for any meddling she's done that got him in trouble, but he doesn't hold grudges and can see she's a kind person so he would never do anything malicious to her.

Sinclair is one of the kids Toby would consider under his "protection," and might possibly be friends. Toby is much more likely to seek treatment from him than an adult if he gets badly wounded, so at the very least they've interacted directly more than a few times; though he prefers to hide his cuts and bruises and act tough. Toby also thinks he has good taste in clothing. Up to you how well Sinclair knows or trusts him.

Toby might secretly feel a little jealous of Marcus when other kids play with him instead, but also appreciates that he's nice to the kids Toby feels responsible for (to a certain definition of "responsibility"). I imagine Marcus would view and treat him the same way he does other younger children? Toby probably sees him as an adult, and thinks he's way too serious for his own good most of the time, constantly trying to get him to lighten up. Whether that means pranking, trying to get Marcus to fight him, or just trying to get a laugh out of him. (Also he thinks the sword is pretty sweet.)

Wes, he probably thinks of as a bully, and doesn't see much beyond that. Wes has likely been the butt of his "justice" more than once, and may or may not know (or at least suspect) Toby is behind it, your choice. He thinks Wes deserves to be taken down a peg or two. They'll need an opportunity to work together and get to know each other better for Toby to witness and grudgingly admit to his more positive traits.

I'm starting to get a nice picture of a group of kids who all know they have superpowers and try to keep it a secret from the adults who are too dumb to realize how cool and useful they are. :D (Except Wes - the "badass normal" of the group?).

9. - Top - End - #9

SamuraiGuy

Marcus sees Toby's pranks as ultimately harmless (though may have silently stopped a few of the more reckless ones before they got him in too much trouble, no harm, no foul).

He has probably laughed at a few of the stories and jokes, when he's taken the time to be around the younger kids. The few times he's sparred with Toby, it's been with sticks or wooden weapons, and he is heavily critical, making sure if the boy does need to fight, he might survive.
    Help my pokemon grow!

10. - Top - End - #10

RangerGuy

Character relationships: The group of PCs has differing opinions on Wes. Most of the younger kids like him, the ones more mature near his age may have grown tired of his antics. He may have a light rivalry with some, and others may see him for what he is: truly a child, but none would say he seeks to do harm. Her butts heads with adults from time to time; while some may disagree with his blunt tactics, they can see his intentions are for the good of the group. The village, regardless of age, sees him as a strong body with plenty of potential - if only he could stop being a damn idiot every two seconds.

Tobias: I imagine Wes and Tobias get along well. They both like to shirk their chores to play dangerous games, and both have been labelled a troublemaker more than once. * I see Toby has his own opinions of Wes. It's perfectly fine if they see each other differently; it would be in-character of Wes to not pick up on exactly how others think of him. Toby may see Wes as perhaps a liability more than an asset.

Clara: While Wes doesn't have much patience for science (and wouldn't be able to comprehend it even if she explained it to him), he enjoys the company of Clara Cato. The two share some major viewpoints on the proceedings of the group as a whole, especially regarding the whereabouts of Stephen Cross. Wes and Clara agree: run towards him, not away.

Sinclair: I'm not sure how much interaction Sinclair and Wes would have had in the past aside from the usual communication among North Bend. He's appreciated his medical prowess on many occasions.

Marcus: Wes and Marcus are two peas in a pod. Both friends and strong rivals, they push each other in everything they do and force the best out of each other. Marcus is one of the only kids with strong enough body and confidence to match Wes and deal with his sh*t. Wes absolutely worships Ronald Williams (I'd like to know a bit more about his story, please), both for the fact that he is a famous sports superstar, and the fact that he is still living. Wes draws so many similarities between himself and Marcus that he can't help but be jealous of the differences. Perhaps for the same reason, Marcus is both jealous of and endeared to Wes' kid sister Casey. (I don't mean to put words in your mouth, but it just seemed to make sense as Marcus loves kids yet has no siblings. Just a thought.).

Juliet: Wes may be one of the worst offenders of making fun of Juliet's accent. While he's too dense to realize it actually upsets her, she's (perhaps) grown in time to take the constant teasing as a form of endearment from him. Wes respects and appreciates Jules' skill with a blade, and sees her as distinctly separated from those other girls.

If you don't agree with how I imagined the North Bend kids, of course, let me know. These are just my scattered thoughts.

11. - Top - End - #11

SamuraiGuy

Marcus and Wes: The two get along quite well. Both have endured quite a bit together at this point, and Marcus has shared his new changes with Wes, letting them push even further (though for that, they have to spar away from the others). Marcus has no problem keeping Wes grounded and out of trouble...when he's around at least.

Marcus and Casey: Marcus feels a little jealous, but mostly translates that into doting on Casey, giving her extra food when he has it, or trinkets. He sees her as a sister he never had, and wants to make sure she stays safe.

Ronald: Wes is the fan Ronald has left, and invites him around to their home/shelter. He tells Wes (and any of the other kids) stories, and organizes sports as best he can among the survivors. He's a practical man, but has a lot of humor left in him from his days as a sport's star. He used to be less humble, but the weariness of all of this has kept him more grounded...though he has been known to spike the head of an enemy or two after a particularly bad battle.
    Help my pokemon grow!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sinclair will speak in Violet. As for his opinions...

Toby: Sinclair isn't sure why Toby doesn't trust the adults, but he can understand at least one case of it: Aron's chasing out of Stephen seemed to him to be very reactionary and not at all in keeping with how a leader should behave. He does like Toby, and he thinks that Toby's goggles look freaking AWESOME. He's probably shown (but not voiced) a little concern over Toby's liking for going barefoot, due to his reading up on medicine and learning about Tetanus being one step on a rusty nail away.

Clara: Sinclair likes having a pharmacist around. He's noticed the cap she's been wearing recently, and while he wonders what's under it, he knows enough about keeping his nose to himself to not ask. Besides, if he asks her about her cap, she could ask him how he knows about argyria, and then there's a whole bunch of cats out of bags and he's kicked out of the group before he's ready to leave.

Marcus: Sinclair isn't sure of what to think of him. On the one hand, gray hair at his age, while explainable by stress, isn't exactly normal, and Sinclair's been through a lot without his hair changing color. But on the other hand, asking about it is, like with Clara's cap, a one-way ticket to foundoutsville. Also, he tends to be silent, and Sinclair has decided to adopt a fairly talkative bedside manner, which means that not talking tends to leave Sinclair spinning the wheels in conversation. Plus, what if there's a more serious condition that he's not opening up about?

Wes: Wes is one of those people Sinclair can't quite figure out. Yes, he's got that whole "bully" thing, but at the same time, there's that one girl who follows him around all the time like he's saved her life or something, which is not typical behavior for a bully's entourage. There's something more there, but Sinclair will be damned if he can figure it out. Still, Wes's bullying has, on occasion, led to him having perhaps a slightly more painful time getting healing from Sinclair than others have had. It's not frequent, but if Wes has been bullying someone before getting treatment from Sinclair, that's when it would've happened (perhaps tying a tourniquet a little too tightly in order to get an artery under control, or pulling a splinter out a little more slowly than is strictly necessary). After all, Sinclair has had problems with bullies in the past.

Juliet: As with Wes-as-a-whole, Sinclair can't quite figure out Juliet's whole "retreating into her shell" thing, which frustrates him a little. It's obviously worrying to him, though, and so he likes to make sure she's doing all right whenever he sees her by asking her how things are going and how she's feeling. She probably thinks it's a nuisance, but Sinclair feels it's his duty as a doc... I mean... camp medic-in-training.
    *tips hat* Pleasure to meet you. You can call me Grim.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Clara probably hasn't actually told anyone about her powers yet. They're a relatively recent development (probably they've only gotten noticeable sometime since Aron took over, or shortly before). She's somewhat frightened of them, and terrified of them being discovered. If there's a little clique of secretly-powered kids she's probably not part of it unless they approach her. On the other hand, if she manages to find out for certain about anybody else's powers she'd definitely agree to keep them secret.

Toby: Clara doesn't exactly approve of Toby's pranks, but would probably let them pass as long as they stayed harmless, in the interest of not starting a fight. Though him pinching chemicals would make things a different story pretty quickly - some of them could probably be quite dangerous (especially, you know, the acid) and all of them are likely things she has better uses for than pranking. Getting caught would probably result in a lecture, and if they go missing again in the future he probably becomes the Suspect Number One. Granted, Clara isn't very good at being intimidating, so her lectures may or may not be all that effective.

Wes: Even if Wes is a bit of an idiot, knowing someone who agrees with her about the state of things regarding Stephen probably ensures Clara likes him. Having someone big and tough to hang around almost certainly makes Clara feel safer, too, seeing as she... isn't. It's entirely possible Wes is the person she's most likely to go to if she's genuinely frightened about something (apart from her powers).

Marcus: Clara may actually suspect Marcus's condition a little; the stress of living in the post-Light world has started turning her own hair gray already, but not as completely as his, and the hat and gloves make her think, especially when she has a similar affectation herself to hide her own hair. Not that she would risk calling him out on it; even as afraid as she is of being found out, she's not the type to turn someone in to throw suspicion off herself, but that doesn't mean she knows the same of him. Still, he's levelheaded and nice to the kids, both of which count for a lot in her book. On the rare occasion they may have wound up in a fight together, they might actually make a good team, since the acid she can brew up can soften whatever Marcus can't already cut through. (And if they have fought together, he might have noticed she's been a little quicker lately than she has been before...)

Sinclair (in more detail): That wariness cuts both ways; so far she's accepting the argyria story, but since they wind up seeing a lot of each other (if only to hand off the medicine she makes to him) she's afraid he may suspect what her cap means. And she does wonder a bit how somebody who was so young before organized schooling (or darkrooms) stopped being a thing knows much about argyria to begin with... but as with Marcus, the suspicion makes her just as reluctant to start questioning things as Sinclair is. Apart from that she probably at least approves of Sinclair's role in keeping everybody healthy and together. She might be a bit dismissive of his opinion on things not related to medicine on occasion, though - he is quite a bit younger than her, and she already has a tendency to assume she knows best.

Juliet: Clara's actually a little in awe of Juliet - they have somewhat similar disadvantages in the size department, but Juliet had the dedication to train and defend herself anyway rather than relying on making herself useful to the people around her. Occasionally she has to wonder what Juliet's life was like before everything changed, but she hasn't had the courage to ask. She does enjoy Juliet's company, though, even if she's quiet. The two of them seem to be a lot alike in some ways. Even if, just lately, her notes have developed a tendency to get blown around when Juliet's in the room.

14. - Top - End - #14

SamuraiGuy

Sinclair: Marcus greatly appreciates Sinclair. Being able to fix up people in these times is extremely important. It doesn't hurt that sometimes if he's recovering, the rattling on lulls him to sleep. This may or may not have annoyed Sinclair, depending. ;)

Clara: They've fought together a few times, and he's always appreciated the help. She does seem faster to him, but he isn't going to rock the boat by mentioning anything.

In general about suspicious physical features:
    Marcus figures there are others like him who are hiding it, or who recently came into their own...but he hasn't seen any reason to think that they've suddenly turned evil, any more than he has.

Arcran: As an aside, I will look at the pack numbers later. I thought I added them correctly, but I'll make adjustments as needed. I went with the cheapest rope, so it should be 100. If anything needs to drop, it will be the medicine kit (he mostly lugged it around for fluff anyway).
    Help my pokemon grow!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Who's Aella?

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16

SamuraiGuy

No clue?

I assumed you knew her.

Maybe it's a new flash mob thing with play by posts? ;)
    Help my pokemon grow!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Nah, got it sorted out. Guessing she was used to more freeform forums.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Arcran View Post
    Nah, got it sorted out. Guessing she was used to more freeform forums.
    Time to NPC her for some nefarious purpose. :)
    Help my pokemon grow!

19. - Top - End - #19

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tybar View Post
    Time to NPC her for some nefarious purpose. :)
    Celestia is canon now. Gotta deal with it!

20. - Top - End - #20

RangerGuy

Arcran, do you want us all to meet up? Or at least get in the same general area?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm just waiting for the last few people to post in the IC.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Fun Fact: Because the world ended in 2012, there was no Wrecking Ball video by Miley Cryus!

Also, just a quick note: When you do your attacks, subtract the AC and add applicable modifiers right to the d20 roll. Then I can simply check it against the Evasion of the Target which makes things a bit easier for me.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23

RedKnightGirl

Busy night last night and then sleeping late means I missed the start of the party I shall catch up!

Relationships etc in more detail:
    Toby: Sure, that would definitely make sense that they were part of the same group for a while before joining Stephen's group. Juliet's powers have only begun to appear since Stephen's group left, so Toby wouldn't know about them, but he may notice that she has been acting rather odd lately, secretive and closed off, which she isn't normally. Juliet is more approving of Tobias's humour than most, but she takes a very dim view of anything that might endanger the camp, so it has to be harmless fun. She appreciates his approach to authority, never having known a strict hierarchy herself and takes his teasing good naturedly.

Clara: Like Clara her powers are just arising, so I imagine their relationship would have been a bit off recently (both trying to be evasive and secretive). Juliet appreciates Clara's intelligence and the items she makes for the group, though she feels inferior around her in terms of intelligence. They are both quite compassionate people who want to protect the group and as such they may well have been quite close before Aron's coup, since they were united by a common goal.

Sinclair: Juliet finds his constant pestering distracting, since she wants to deal with her powers in her own way, and has always been someone who hates distractions. She deals with things in her own way, and this may well frustrate Sinclair. She is always willing to work for the benefit of the group though, and the two may have found themselves working together before, and thus have the mutual respect of colleagues.

Marcus: Similar to her feelings to Wes, she enjoys that she is a fellow warrior first, rather than someone he needs to protect. She respects his skills with a blade, though they have very differing styles (she is all about dodging and diving, where as he is a strong as steel). Recently she has been coming to the practice fields more and more, but she talks less than she did before, preferring to bury herself in practice.

Wes: Though he annoys her, and would otherwise be low on her list of people to befriend, she respects that Wes sees her as a warrior and not a girl. She respects his athleticism, though with her recent powers, she does wonder if she could be faster, she is just too afraid to put it to the test. His jokes and jibes are something she was used to from her past lives, but that doesn't make it easier to hear them again.
    Occasionally though, she would like to be seen as a girl, and Wes's repeated assertions that she is separate may hurt her more than his jokes about her accent.
    Just had a crazy week, so if I have been silent in your games, I apologise profusely.

I'm really sorry to everyone, but work and real life have taken me away from the forum for the short term. I'm hoping to have everything sorted out by september, but in the meantime posting will be patchy at best, and possibly non-existent.

24. - Top - End - #24

SamuraiGuy

Marcus has been pretty happy practicing with Juliet. He has been formulating ideas for her harrying opponents while he weathers their attacks (or guards an injured comrade who can't move). He's noticed her silence, and spars with her more, figuring while she might need the space, she won't have to worry about that with him (as opposed to someone more talkative, like Wes).
    Help my pokemon grow!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dunno how or if it would influence any decision to share her secret with him, but Toby trusts Juliet and would definitely have been showing off his own abilities to her. He for one thinks it's pretty awesome, something that makes him special. He hides his power not out of fear, but because the less people who know what he's capable of, the more he can get away with. ^_^

26. - Top - End - #26

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by TwilightKiwi View Post
    Dunno how or if it would influence any decision to share her secret with him, but Toby trusts Juliet and would definitely have been showing off his own abilities to her. He for one thinks it's pretty awesome, something that makes him special. He hides his power not out of fear, but because the less people who know what he's capable of, the more he can get away with. ^_^
    It would make her trust him more admittedly, but her powers are a new thing to her, and she is very provate about them. I think I'll have her plan to tell Tobias, once she has worked up the courage and thought of the right words.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Waiting on you Kiwi.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sorry, getting slowed down by the holiday weekend a bit.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

No problem. Just want to try to get this rolling. The start of the game is always the "will this die?" period.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30

SamuraiGuy

Intuition in the opening room.
    (2d6+2)[4]
    Help my pokemon grow!