New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Can you swing a pig weighing your max load?

So the Dragon Mag that brings us such fun as Chicken infested, also brings us the feat that gives you a pig equal to your maximum load. Is there some class that can take advantage of and then swing this horrendously heavy pig? Cause with all manner of strength enhancing shenanigangs, getting hit by this pig could do some damage!

So can it be done?
    Quote Originally Posted by tricktroller View Post
    Lol Bad bozo. Bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Certainly if you have magic, or magic items that specify that is how that goes, it does. why? Because MAGIC! Does that mean that is how that works in general? Well, the same way that a wizard cast a finger of death on something and that means that whatever he points at must make a save or die. Well, I guess thats ok, cause in D&D, death doesn't stop them from living.
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    Barbarians are sweet at first level, especially if the main goal is indiscriminate murder.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Can you swing a pig weighing your max load?

Hulking Hurler prestige class (Complete Warrior) lets you throw anything that weights up to your medium load. I don't remember anything that would let you throw maximum load.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

It takes your maximum exertion to simply lift that load, so there's nothing left for swinging and throwing.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    It takes your maximum exertion to simply lift that load, so there's nothing left for swinging and throwing.
    What about dropping?

"My maximum load allows me to lift planets. Here is the Moon of Pork!"
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

An ability to get airborn (Riding a mount or a spell or something.) would let you pick it up, carry it till it generates 20d6 falling damage to itself and what ever it lands on, and then add damage based on weight. Pump str, and that's a LOT of weight.

Bombs away.
    "I Burn!"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

In D&D, all bombs can be avoided with DC 15 Reflex saves, so that's not a particularly effective tactic.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGuy

If using it as an anvil, for dropping of course, isn't going to work, I'm thinking some training is in need. Get some spiked armor on that beast. Teach it to overrun. Turn it into a substitute for the open lock skill.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    We dont want to throw it, cause then it will turn into Orcus and skin you alive.

Although that might be funny to mind switch the BBEG and then he's screwed
    Lol Bad bozo. Bad.
    Certainly if you have magic, or magic items that specify that is how that goes, it does. why? Because MAGIC! Does that mean that is how that works in general? Well, the same way that a wizard cast a finger of death on something and that means that whatever he points at must make a save or die. Well, I guess thats ok, cause in D&D, death doesn't stop them from living.
    Barbarians are sweet at first level, especially if the main goal is indiscriminate murder.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

The solution is remarkably simple.

Consider: We have a pig, which increases indefinitely in weight. We also have a hapless peasant doomed to carry that pig. The peasant can do nothing to change the weight category of the pig, because as soon as he bulks up, so does the pig. Let us assume that this commoner is infected with Festering Anger and has also managed to become immune to the Constitution damage. So he has NI strength.

Preparation: We produce a second commoner, and apply to him the same conditions as the first commoner. Then we add a small additional boon to Strength - the difference between Medium and Maximum load is only ~4 Strength, so we can easily make up the difference. We'll want to jack it up a little higher though because...

Solution: The second commoner bodily picks up the first commoner (who is carrying the NI-heavy pig) and flings him at things pig-first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post

Consider: We have a pig, which increases indefinitely in weight. We also have a hapless peasant doomed to carry that pig. The peasant can do nothing to change the weight category of the pig, because as soon as he bulks up, so does the pig. Let us assume that this commoner is infected with Festering Anger and has also managed to become immune to the Constitution damage. So he has NI strength.

Preparation: We produce a second commoner, and apply to him the same conditions as the first commoner. Then we add a small additional boon to Strength - the difference between Medium and Maximum load is only ~4 Strength, so we can easily make up the difference. We'll want to jack it up a little higher though because...

Solution: The second commoner bodily picks up the first commoner (who is carrying the NI-heavy pig) and flings him at things pig-first.
    Flickerdart, you are my hero. I am so happy right now.
    Lol Bad bozo. Bad.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The commoner doing the throwing would need enough strength to lift both the pig and the commoner holding said pig. Is +4 enough?

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Vogonjeltz View Post
    The commoner doing the throwing would need enough strength to lift both the pig and the commoner holding said pig. Is +4 enough?
    You'd need a little more than +4. If you look at the Carrying Capacity table, 933 lbs is the heaviest listed medium carry capacity ( can't be arsed to extrapolate the table), achievable with STR 29. If we shave off 175 lbs off that (the weight of an average adult human in 3.5 - apparently those peasants are packing a few extra pounds) that leaves us with 758 lbs worth of pig. The maximum load that's closest without going over is 700 lbs at STR 24, so we need a gap of +5 (conveniently, a single Tome).

The largest boar in history was 2,552lbs. We would need quite a mighty commoner to lift it, indeed.
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2014-04-16 at 07:15 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

You'd need a little more than +4. If you look at the Carrying Capacity table, 933 lbs is the heaviest listed medium carry capacity ( can't be arsed to extrapolate the table), achievable with STR 29. If we shave off 175 lbs off that (the weight of an average adult human in 3.5 - apparently those peasants are packing a few extra pounds) that leaves us with 758 lbs worth of pig. The maximum load that's closest without going over is 700 lbs at STR 24, so we need a gap of +5 (conveniently, a single Tome).

The largest boar in history was 2,552lbs. We would need quite a mighty commoner to lift it, indeed.
    I approve of this plan.

Instead of a commoner wielding the pig carrier, I would say how about a drunken master who can wield them as an improvised weapon?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

This is a great mook to throw against your party, haha
    Lol Bad bozo. Bad.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Vogonjeltz View Post
    I approve of this plan.

Instead of a commoner wielding the pig carrier, I would say how about a drunken master who can wield them as an improvised weapon?
    Unfortunately, the drunken master doesn't gain any benefits from wielding an especially large or heavy improvised weapon. Also, technically the commoner is not an object, and so isn't eligible to be an improvised weapon. The pig might be though, as nothing in the flaw states that it needs to be alive.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Unfortunately, the drunken master doesn't gain any benefits from wielding an especially large or heavy improvised weapon. Also, technically the commoner is not an object, and so isn't eligible to be an improvised weapon. The pig might be though, as nothing in the flaw states that it needs to be alive.
    Could we pick up the pig and throw it and have it twist so it - not the commoner - hits the target? Maybe homebrew a version of Exotic Weapon Proficiency for it?
    Lol Bad bozo. Bad.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Would this, then, allow for infinite bacon?
    LGBTA+itP

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    Infinite Bacon...Infinite Chickens...Now we need a source of Infinite barbeque sauce!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    Not exactly. NI, sure, but truly infinite is impossible because reasons that I am not articulate enough to give. Sorry.
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Svata View Post
    Not exactly. NI, sure, but truly infinite is impossible because reasons that I am not articulate enough to give. Sorry.
    Infinite anything is impossible, everything has a limit. But not in an abstract universe like D&D! Infinite here we come!
    Lol Bad bozo. Bad.

21. - Top - End - #21

Could we pick up the pig and throw it and have it twist so it - not the commoner - hits the target? Maybe homebrew a version of Exotic Weapon Proficiency for it?
    That's a good point. Nothing in the rules says that objects you use as improvised weapons can't have screaming commoners strapped to them.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

How has this avoided infamy on the internet? It's as bad/funny as chicken infested.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

That's a good point. Nothing in the rules says that objects you use as improvised weapons can't have screaming commoners strapped to them.
    can I sig this? It is absolutely glorious.
    Lol Bad bozo. Bad.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    How has this avoided infamy on the internet? It's as bad/funny as chicken infested.
    I agree, this thread has turned into amazing!
    Lol Bad bozo. Bad.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Throw some Cancer Mage on with Festering Anger towards your pig. NI Str for pig swinging and hilarious flavor fun

26. - Top - End - #26

can I sig this? It is absolutely glorious.
    Feel free.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GutterFace View Post
    Throw some Cancer Mage on with Festering Anger towards your pig. NI Str for pig swinging and hilarious flavor fun
    I never caught that the cancer mage is immune to the disease's effects. This is glorious!

So a Drunken Master with leadership attracts a follower 1 commoner/x Caner Mage with the Pig Bond feat. With some strength shenanigans, the pig can do NI damage per hit. I love it!
    Lol Bad bozo. Bad.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Firbolg in the Playground

MonkGirl

This has actual value, since the pig doesn't ever increase in actual size category (or so it seems); and thus once suitably preserved (Quintessence?) makes the ultimate solution to the 'where does the hulking hurler find the adamantine planetoid' problem

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Naanomi View Post
    This has actual value, since the pig doesn't ever increase in actual size category (or so it seems); and thus once suitably preserved (Quintessence?) makes the ultimate solution to the 'where does the hulking hurler find the adamantine planetoid' problem
    I think quintessence would stop it from turning into Orcus and killing you, right? Because "ever" implies time, right? If it is never in the time stream, it doesn't qualify!
    Lol Bad bozo. Bad.

30. - Top - End - #30

Questionable. However, if you got enough quintessence to cover Orcus, then once the pig transformed it would remain covered, so you now have Orcus right where you want him.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective