New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: Can you swing a pig weighing your max load?

Since people are talking about Corpse, don't forget it gives two feats. One from being a Flaw, the second from the Effect entry.

Also, any ideas for Unimportant NPC and Incomprehensible Accent?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    Don't you see it? The inert Shrieker may have more raw power, but the rock has something the Shrieker will never have. VERSATILITY.

Also, the rock will probably be lighter than the Shrieker, allowing it to be used as a improvised thrown weapon should the need arise.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Incomprehensible Accent would be nice for a spy. Even if they are caught, they can't be tortured, charmed or otherwise forced to tell anything.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

Incomprehensible Accent would be nice for a spy. Even if they are caught, they can't be tortured, charmed or otherwise forced to tell anything.
    Now imagining a dead Swedish Chef with a pig running around, wrecking s**t up.
    White is my color for internal monologue. (without the black highlight, of course)

Judge's choice in the Pathfinder Grab Bag XIX
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatar by the ever-brilliant Ceika

Paizocarnum - A 3.p update of Incarnum, now in PDF!
    The Beastmaster: Master of Beasts! (Pathfinder homebrew class)

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    Since people are talking about Corpse, don't forget it gives two feats. One from being a Flaw, the second from the Effect entry.

Also, any ideas for Unimportant NPC and Incomprehensible Accent?
    You're not undead, you are dead, dead. Your no longer a functioning character in any way, shape or form. I guess you can be risen by some means, but by means of the flaw, you are dead.

So only 1 feat
    Quote Originally Posted by tricktroller View Post
    Lol Bad bozo. Bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Certainly if you have magic, or magic items that specify that is how that goes, it does. why? Because MAGIC! Does that mean that is how that works in general? Well, the same way that a wizard cast a finger of death on something and that means that whatever he points at must make a save or die. Well, I guess thats ok, cause in D&D, death doesn't stop them from living.
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    Barbarians are sweet at first level, especially if the main goal is indiscriminate murder.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

The joke with Corpse stems from the fact that being Dead does nothing to hinder you taking actions by RAW. Dying disables you, but once you're dead there is no rule to stop you from standing up and beating people to death.

There's a campaign I do and don't want to run where everyone has to be built around some stupid rules mechanic, and one of my friends wants to play a thri-kreen dual-wielding scythes who coup de graces himself at the beginning of every fight.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

6. - Top - End - #96
    Barbarian in the Playground

You're not undead, you are dead, dead. Your no longer a functioning character in any way, shape or form. I guess you can be risen by some means, but by means of the flaw, you are dead.

So only 1 feat
    I already went over this a couple posts ago:

Quote Originally Posted by d20srd.org
    Dead
    The character’s hit points are reduced to -10, his Constitution drops to 0, or he is killed outright by a spell or effect. The character’s soul leaves his body. Dead characters cannot benefit from normal or magical healing, but they can be restored to life via magic. A dead body decays normally unless magically preserved, but magic that restores a dead character to life also restores the body either to full health or to its condition at the time of death (depending on the spell or device). Either way, resurrected characters need not worry about rigor mortis, decomposition, and other conditions that affect dead bodies.
    Whereas, for Dying:

Quote Originally Posted by d20srd.org
    Dying
    A dying character is unconscious and near death. She has -1 to -9 current hit points. A dying character can take no actions and is unconscious. At the end of each round (starting with the round in which the character dropped below 0 hit points), the character rolls d% to see whether she becomes stable. She has a 10% chance to become stable. If she does not, she loses 1 hit point. If a dying character reaches -10 hit points, she is dead.
    This clearly states that being unable to take actions and unconscious are properties of the status of Dying, rather than the status of Dead, and while death usually entails entering the Dying status first (since it's most commonly caused by hit point damage), the flaw never mentions the Corpse was actually ever Dying, so, in effect, you can function just fine, minus having your soul separated from your body and your body rotting.
    Last edited by HaikenEdge; 2014-04-21 at 08:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by (Un)Inspired View Post
    Contingency is like playing chess but you get to make several moves on your turn, several on you opponents turn and you're allowed to rearrange the board when he gets up to go to the bathroom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Spite™! Obey your thirst...for VENGEANCE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven777 View Post
    I'm not saying that nobody should play the marathon runner. I'm saying we should at least give him rollerblades.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HaikenEdge View Post
    This clearly states that being unable to take actions and unconscious are properties of the status of Dying, rather than the status of Dead, and while death usually entails entering the Dying status first (since it's most commonly caused by hit point damage), the flaw never mentions the Corpse was actually ever Dying, so, in effect, you can function just fine, minus having your soul separated from your body and your body rotting.
    And the soul thing is likely an upside; you can make a good argument that soul-based whatnot doesn't work on you.
    Don't you see it? The inert Shrieker may have more raw power, but the rock has something the Shrieker will never have. VERSATILITY.

Also, the rock will probably be lighter than the Shrieker, allowing it to be used as a improvised thrown weapon should the need arise.

8. - Top - End - #98

And the soul thing is likely an upside; you can make a good argument that soul-based whatnot doesn't work on you.
    I'm actually curious how many spells or effects that can see or target a soul that's outside its body. I think Trap the Soul and Magic Jar both work, but I'm unclear if there are any other ones.

I mean, I imagine the Soul can serve as an invisible, soundless scout for the party, while the body just straight kills things, uses magic, etc.
    Last edited by HaikenEdge; 2014-04-21 at 09:08 AM.
    Contingency is like playing chess but you get to make several moves on your turn, several on you opponents turn and you're allowed to rearrange the board when he gets up to go to the bathroom.
    I'm not saying that nobody should play the marathon runner. I'm saying we should at least give him rollerblades.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I'm actually curious how many spells or effects that can see or target a soul that's outside its body. I think Trap the Soul and Magic Jar both work, but I'm unclear if there are any other ones.

I mean, I imagine the Soul can serve as an invisible, soundless scout for the party, while the body just straight kills things, uses magic, etc.
    Trap the Soul amusingly doesn't require the target to have a soul. To the Dysfunctional RAW thread!

10. - Top - End - #100

Trap the Soul amusingly doesn't require the target to have a soul. To the Dysfunctional RAW thread!
    You're right, and since the "life force" isn't clearly defined anywhere as the soul, a Corpse commoner could still function with its soul, albeit without the body.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

I already went over this a couple posts ago:

Whereas, for Dying:

Have you posted this in the dysfunctional rules yet?
    Lol Bad bozo. Bad.
    Certainly if you have magic, or magic items that specify that is how that goes, it does. why? Because MAGIC! Does that mean that is how that works in general? Well, the same way that a wizard cast a finger of death on something and that means that whatever he points at must make a save or die. Well, I guess thats ok, cause in D&D, death doesn't stop them from living.
    Barbarians are sweet at first level, especially if the main goal is indiscriminate murder.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, this one's pretty famous. It's up there with drown healing.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

13. - Top - End - #103

WolfInSheepsClothing

Incomprehensible Accent would go quite well with Amplify, but it's effects are so minor. You can still write normally and projecting your thoughts doesn't include babble.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Could incomprehensible accent give opposed spellcraft DC's harder to make, assuming a verbal component, due to nobody understanding what you are saying? Perhaps even mis-indentifying your spells? Like someone thinks you are casting magic missile and then if hit by a lightning bolt to the face, which then bounces off the wall behind him?
    Lol Bad bozo. Bad.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    The joke with Corpse stems from the fact that being Dead does nothing to hinder you taking actions by RAW. Dying disables you, but once you're dead there is no rule to stop you from standing up and beating people to death.
    Actually there is, but the rule is hard to find because it's in the special abilities section of the MM:

In case it matters, a dead character, no matter how she died, has -10 hit points.
    Why does this matter? Because of the nonlethal damage rules:

Certain attacks deal nonlethal damage. Other effects, such as heat or being exhausted, also deal nonlethal damage. When you take nonlethal damage, keep a running total of how much you’ve accumulated. Do not deduct the nonlethal damage number from your current hit points. It is not "real" damage. Instead, when your nonlethal damage equals your current hit points, you’re staggered, and when it exceeds your current hit points, you fall unconscious. It doesn’t matter whether the nonlethal damage equals or exceeds your current hit points because the nonlethal damage has gone up or because your current hit points have gone down.
    In other words, even if you don't have any nonlethal damage, that means your nonlethal = 0. Since nonlethal damage can never be negative but HP can be, being dead means you are at -10 and therefore that your 0 nonlethal exceeds your -10 real. This means that all dead characters are at the very least permanently unconscious, and therefore incapable of taking actions.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Wait, could this be comboed with that Lucid Dreaming skill?

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

17. - Top - End - #107

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    In other words, even if you don't have any nonlethal damage, that means your nonlethal = 0. Since nonlethal damage can never be negative but HP can be, being dead means you are at -10 and therefore that your 0 nonlethal exceeds your -10 real. This means that all dead characters are at the very least permanently unconscious, and therefore incapable of taking actions.
    By that definition, all dying creatures are unconscious too, due to being under 0 HP, and the Diehard feat (and spells, effects and class features like it) are clearly useless, since they allow the character to act while Disabled, but not Unconscious. I guess this goes into the Dysfunctional Rules, then?

18. - Top - End - #108

By that definition, all dying creatures are unconscious too, due to being under 0 HP, and the Diehard feat (and spells, effects and class features like it) are clearly useless, since they allow the character to act while Disabled, but not Unconscious. I guess this goes into the Dysfunctional Rules, then?
    Diehard et al. are a case of specific overriding general. In fact, Diehard itself tells you:

Normal
    A character without this feat who is reduced to between -1 and -9 hit points is unconscious and dying.
    And yes, this does mean characters with -1 or less without special circumstances are unconscious - that is intended.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2014-04-21 at 02:17 PM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

19. - Top - End - #109

Diehard et al. are a case of specific overriding general. In fact, Diehard itself tells you:

And yes, this does mean characters with -1 or less without special circumstances are unconscious - that is intended.
    I disagree, due to these quotes:

a character whose nonlethal damage exceeds his hit points becomes unconscious.
    When reduced to negative hit points, you may choose to act as if you were disabled, rather than dying.
    This only applies the unconsciousness caused by the Dying status, not the unconsciousness applied by having nonlethal damage greater than your hit points, which is unconsciousness being applied separately, since you can be rendered unconscious due to having more nonlethal damage than your HP without going into the Dying status, since the unconsciousness caused by Dying is not explicitly stated as being caused by nonlethal damage.

Yes, you would normally be unconscious due to the Dying status, which Diehard allows you to supercede; however, you'd still also be unconscious due to having nonlethal damage higher than your HP, so Diehard effectively does nothing.

20. - Top - End - #110

You're assuming here that "dying unconscious" and "nonlethal exceeds current HP due to negative HP unconscious" are two separate states. It's equally valid to say that the reason you are unconscious while dying is because you can't be dying without having a HP total that is less than your nonlethal damage total, and that one is simply a more detailed explanation of the other.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2014-04-21 at 03:11 PM. Reason: typo
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

I think a good argument could be made for counting undead creatures as dead.

The most common definition of 'dead' is:

Something that once lived, but does not live anymore.
    Technically, this includes undead.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

22. - Top - End - #112

You're assuming here that "dying unconscious" and "nonlethal exceeds current HP due to negative HP unconscious" are two separate states. It's equally valid to say that the reason you are unconscious while dying is because you can't be dying without having a HP total that is less than your nonlethal damage total, and that one is simply a more detailed explanation of the other.
    It's not clearly defined. It's a minor hole in the rules.

23. - Top - End - #113

Since we're talking about Commoner Flaws, can the Peasant's Hat be a hat of disguise?
    White is my color for internal monologue. (without the black highlight, of course)

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #114
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hangwind View Post
    Infinite Bacon...Infinite Chickens...Now we need a source of Infinite barbeque sauce!
    Polymorph any object on sections cut off the pig; the pig will either grow or regenerate to retain the weight specifications of the flaw. Infinite everything?

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raishoiken View Post
    Polymorph any object on sections cut off the pig; the pig will either grow or regenerate to retain the weight specifications of the flaw. Infinite everything?
    I dont know if you can PAO a section of a creature and not the rest
    Lol Bad bozo. Bad.

26. - Top - End - #116

I dont know if you can PAO a section of a creature and not the rest
    You can if you cut it off first.

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by malonkey1 View Post
    lol, true, very true
    Lol Bad bozo. Bad.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

I just noted the flaw says:

What does that mean? Well, it means that if you can give the pig a fly speed, swim speed or climb speed (spiderpig!), it'll move like any pig would. You still have to keep it close to you, but hey, you get to wear what you want!
    Or burrow.

"Black hole pig
    Won't you dig
    And hide us from the rain...."
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gomipile View Post
    Or burrow.

"Black hole pig
    Won't you dig
    And hide us from the rain...."
    hahahaha, this is priceless
    Lol Bad bozo. Bad.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by malonkey1 View Post
    This assumes that if you cut off a piece of the pig and put some distance between it and you that it won't trigger the Porcus clause. This will need testing first.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards