New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Crossdressing Thread

I did my first cross dressing in public today, well, sort of. I was invited to a local GSA meeting with a speaker talking about Transitioning, and I wore openly at the meeting a shirt that was obviously feminine. It was white with navy blue stitching of butterflies and a few rhinestone sequins. Very pretty, and one of my favourite shirts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

I like crossdressing, but I can't get away with it anymore. I have a very large chest, and most male clothes are just read as gender neutral. Similarly, while a guy wearing make up stands out, not wearing make-up doesn't really make you stand out as a female.

I'm sad and would love advice from other people in my situation. I'm not trans, I just like dressing as a guy every so often, and when I do I would like to be seen as one, or at least for people to understand I'm dressing as a guy. When I was a teen it worked out so much better.

I read the article linked to on the first page, and it was pretty handy, but it was meant for trans guys, who are likely to take hormones or even have surgery, so a lot of it was "in the meantime" kind of advice. Binding is difficult past a certain size, and since I'm not trans I don't want to damage my breasts, which I'm very happy with when I'm not crossdressing.

I feel like even guys who can't pass at all are still obviously dressed as women when they crossdress, but there isn't really any outfit that is reserved for males only. At best I can look a bit tomboyish or butch, but never "hey, this woman is dressed as a guy".

Any advice, aside from developing the power to change sex at will and morph from female to male and back (which would be so awesome but I might as well wish to become a centaur).

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

nothing to see here...
    Last edited by Lentrax; 2014-04-30 at 04:34 AM.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

4. - Top - End - #64
    Banned

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
    I feel like even guys who can't pass at all are still obviously dressed as women when they crossdress, but there isn't really any outfit that is reserved for males only. At best I can look a bit tomboyish or butch, but never "hey, this woman is dressed as a guy".

Any advice, aside from developing the power to change sex at will and morph from female to male and back (which would be so awesome but I might as well wish to become a centaur).
    Wear a codpiece? It's not really fashionable nowadays (only time I've seen that is on LARPs), but if you don't care about that ... it's the only piece of clothing I know of that really only a man would have any use for.

Or you could combine a masculine outfit, like a tuxedo, with a fake beard. (Although a fake beard is not, strictly speaking, a piece of clothing, it was in ancient Egypt, where the pharao tradtionally wore a fake beard, so ... maybe that works for you?)
    Last edited by Themrys; 2014-04-30 at 04:57 AM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Themrys View Post
    Wear a codpiece? It's not really fashionable nowadays (only time I've seen that is on LARPs), but if you don't care about that ... it's the only piece of clothing I know of that really only a man would have any use for.

Or you could combine a masculine outfit, like a tuxedo, with a fake beard. (Although a fake beard is not, strictly speaking, a piece of clothing, it was in ancient Egypt, where the pharao tradtionally wore a fake beard, so ... maybe that works for you?)
    I got a sister a tuxedo for her birthday one year. She isn't a crossdresser, but she always wanted a suit. It may have gotten her a few looks, but not nearly as many as a guy in a dress.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Mmh, I guess I could try some kinds of fake beards. While it's not exactly the same as clothing, crossdressing the other way around does often include makeup.

Another option would be dressing as specific characters, or crossplaying, but even then there is the risk of people going "oh, you're the female version of...."

Never thought of a codpiece. I'll have to think about it.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Thinking of getting myself a corset.

But I am not sure how to measure myself for it. Especially since I do not really have a bust to measure...

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

8. - Top - End - #68
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post

But I am not sure how to measure myself for it. Especially since I do not really have a bust to measure...
    A lot of corset-selling websites will have a guide to how to measure yourself. For example, and Gallery Serpentine has measurement info on each item. Or you could go into a lingerie or similar shop and get a proper fitting, potentially.
    In my experience it's generally about the waist size anyway, rather than bust (which, at the other end of things, is inconvenient when you have a substantial bust to measure but it apparently doesn't matter when buying a corset and you end up half-falling out of them all). If you don't have much there, I think it could well actually be easier to find one, though you might want to try a variety of corset styles to work out which one suits your shape the best. Lingerie shops, sex shops, and gothic/Victorian style shops are a good place to start if you want to try things on in person. You're in Sydney, aren't you? I know Gallery Serpentine has a store there. Stupid expensive, but they seem to know what they're doing with fitting if you just want to try things on.

For a little while I was talking to a guy (cis man, as far as I'm aware) who was dressing as an elderly woman, up to and including incontinence pads, just to see what it was like and how he was treated. So that's a thing.
    Last edited by Serpentine; 2014-05-01 at 01:00 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post

In my experience, underbust ones just follow a basic xs/s/l/xl waist scale, and as Serp said, I think the overbust ones are more about the waist as well, so maybe just go about buying it as you would anything else?

If you're not sure, it might be better to go into a shop instead of buying one online. You can actually try them on before buying anything that way.
    Last edited by Nameless; 2014-05-01 at 11:28 AM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

I am not in Sydney. I am actually about as far away from there as I can get without starting to get closer again.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

For corsets, I second/third what has been said. The only way bust matters is when you need to special order corsets because yours is too big. Otherwise, hip and waist measurements matter mcuh more. You could also start with a waist cincher if you want. But as far as I know, there isn't that much different to begin with between male and female corsets aside from the patterns usually being different (I have a male friend who wears male ones a lot) so I don't think the lack of bust would be a huge issue. Actually I would think it would be less of an issue than for buying a dress.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Bugbear in the Playground

I need some cloths advise. My brother's wedding is in July so I need some pretty formal attire. While I love dresses and especially (long) skirts, they tend to be rather feminine and I want to avoid looking like a girl. I also don't want to buy an expensive dress that I'll likely never wear again because it makes me feel dysphoric. But I also don't like to wear a suit, I find them boring. Actually, I dislike most kinds of formal pants, I just don't like the look of them.
    I considered wearing a long skirt and a formal shirt, but I fear I might look like a waiter.
    So, any ideas?

Edit: I don't necessarily want to pass as completely male, just not obviously being read as female would be nice.
    Last edited by Lycunadari; 2014-05-04 at 09:01 AM.
    You can call me Juniper. Please use gender-neutral pronouns (ze/hir (preferred) or they/them) when referring to me.

"We all are vessels of our brokenness, we carry it inside us like water, careful not to spill. And what is wholeness if not brokenness encompassed in acceptance, the warmth of its power a shield against those who would hurt us?" - R. Lemberg, Geometries of Belonging

Stories Art

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lycunadari View Post
    I need some cloths advise. My brother's wedding is in July so I need some pretty formal attire. While I love dresses and especially (long) skirts, they tend to be rather feminine and I want to avoid looking like a girl. I also don't want to buy an expensive dress that I'll likely never wear again because it makes me feel dysphoric. But I also don't like to wear a suit, I find them boring. Actually, I dislike most kinds of formal pants, I just don't like the look of them.
    I considered wearing a long skirt and a formal shirt, but I fear I might look like a waiter.
    So, any ideas?

Edit: I don't necessarily want to pass as completely male, just not obviously being read as female would be nice.
    I think the long skirt and a formal shirt would be fine. Especially a simple straight cut skirt that doesn't flare at the hips or do whatever it is called that pencil skirts do. 「I'm sure you knew that and have the perfect skirt in mind, so none of this is helpful in the least thus far!」

What do you think about a blazer? Maybe you fancy a waistcoat and/or bowtie or necktie?

I admit to being terrible at this.

EDIT - Missed a word
    Last edited by Rain Dragon; 2014-05-04 at 09:17 AM.
    I go by they/them/their or he/him/his pronouns

14. - Top - End - #74
    Colossus in the Playground

Waistcoats seem to be getting increasingly androgynous, interestingly. So how about female pants, and some fabulous waistcoat-bow tie combo?

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Waistcoats seem to be getting increasingly androgynous, interestingly. So how about female pants, and some fabulous waistcoat-bow tie combo?
    They are which is fine, but they can help add angles in the right places if you want them at least. ^^
    I go by they/them/their or he/him/his pronouns

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lycunadari View Post
    So, any ideas?

what about a waistcoat/cravat/jacket/trousers type thing. It's formal, masculine, but not boring.

Spoiler
    Show

You can actually pull it off with a skirt as well if you do it right.
    Last edited by Nameless; 2014-05-04 at 12:09 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Recently one of the guys at my sports group crossdressed, even including fake breasts. It was widely popular and entertaining for everyone. Now some of the girls are campaigning for me to come to training in a dress too. I wonder if I should oblige them... I think I'll make them work for it and offer me wearing a skirt as my end of a wager

Of course, we're still doing sports so a dress is inconvenient I would expect... I guess a wider skirt going up to about knee length would be perhaps the most practical option? I should still have something like that lying around from Halloween leftovers, not sure about size though as it wasn't my costume.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Shaved my legs, ostensibly to be cooler in the summer, but I know the real reason.
    Skirts are hard to pull off when you got Chewbacca legs.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Pixie in the Playground

I don't see any wrong in cross dressing. For as long as you do hurt somebody that would be fine. My gay friend bought some tights from http://www.uktights.com/section/141/fashion-tights It looks good.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Sheriff: Thread Necromancy and spam are both disfavored here.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex