1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Shadows of the Mind

SHADOWS OF THE MIND

Also see: Shadows of Artifice
    -----------Shadows of the Faithful

ARCHETYPES

Psi-Shade

All things of the world fall into shadow. The mind is no different. While there are those who weave shadows and let shadows into themselves, there are those who form shadows within their minds and draw them out. These are what are known as Psi-shades. Their minds are touched by the plane of shadow, allowing them to draw on a unique assortment abilities, at least in comparison to other manifesters. In essence, they accomplish the same feats as a shadowcaster, but draw from the shadows from a bond within instead of without.

Class Skills
    The Psi-Shades class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Autohypnosis (Wis), Craft (any) (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Knowledge (psionics) (Int), Perception (Wis), Profession (any) (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Stealth (Dex), Use Magic Device (Cha)

Mental Fundamentals
    At 1st level, a psi-shade acquires 2 fundamentals and a psionic talent of their choice, and gains an additional fundamental or talent at 4th level and every 4 levels thereafter. These fundamentals and talents may be augmented by metapsionic feats but not metashadow feats.
    This augments the shadowcaster's fundamentals of shadow class feature.

Mysteries of the Mind
    As the standard shadowcaster, you still acquire mysteries. They are augmented, however, as follows: All references to spells and magic (such as detect magic) are replaced with applicable references to powers. Instead of normally being cast similar to arcane spells, they are treated as psionic powers. Instead of advancing to spell-like abilities, your mysteries become psi-like abilities. You may choose to apply metapsionic feats to your mysteries, but metashadow feats no longer apply to them.
    Furthermore, you gain a power point pool. While you do not gain any power points in it inherently, you do gain bonus power points based on your charisma score and level.
    This augments the shadowcaster's Mysteries and Paths class feature.

Bonus Feats
    This functions in all ways as the shadowcaster class feature, except as follows: Add psionic and metapsionic feats to your list of potential bonus feats, but remove metashadow feats.
    This augments the shadowcaster's bonus feats class feature.

Mind over Body
    You may gain either 2 bonus power points or a +2 bonus to autohypnosis and perception for every Metapsionic feat you have selected or will select in the future. These bonuses stack and you choose which bonus you gain individually for each feat. Once selected these bonuses cannot change.
    This replaces the shadowcaster's shadow over body class feature.

FEATS

Dark Tactician [Multiclass]
    Prerequisite: Shadowcaster level 1st, Tactician level 1st
    Benefit: Levels in Shadowcaster and Tactician stack for the purposes of advancing coordinated strike, as well as the caster level of mysteries you cast as a shadowcaster and the manifester level of powers you manifest as a tactician.
    Furthermore, you may expend a daily coordinated strike as a free action once per round to regain a daily use of a mystery of one grade lower that you can cast.

Dreadful Shadow[Multiclass]
    Prerequisite: Dread level 1st, Shadowcaster level 1st
    Benefit: Levels in Dread and Shadowcaster stack for the purpose of damage from Devastating Touch as well as the acquisition and advancement of Terrors and the acquisition of Fear Incarnate. Dread and Shadowcaster levels also stack for the purpose of determining the caster level of mysteries you cast as a shadowcaster and the manifester level of powers you manifest as a dread.
    Special: Dreads of the shadow hunter archetype may instead add their shadowcaster level to their dread level for the purpose of the Shadow Diversion class feature and the acquisition of the Step Through Shadows class feature.

Ebon Vitality [Multiclass]
    Prerequisite: Shadowcaster level 1st, Vitalist level 1st
    Benefit: Levels in Shadowcaster and Vitalist stack for the purpose of acquiring and advancing abilities associated with your Vitalist method and advancing transfer wounds, as well as the caster level of mysteries you cast as a shadowcaster and the manifester level of powers you manifest as a vitalist.
    Furthermore, you may expend a daily transfer wounds use as a free action once per round to regain a daily use of a mystery of one grade lower that you can cast.

Midnight Aegis [Multiclass]
    Prerequisite: Aegis level 1st, Shadowcaster level 1st
    Benefit: Levels in Aegis and Shadowcaster stack for the purposes of determining customization points available to you as well as the caster level of mysteries you cast as a shadowcaster and the manifester level of powers you manifest as an aegis.
    Furthermore, you no longer suffer from Arcane Spell Failure when attempting to cast mysteries but only when you are wearing an astral suit. Other forms of armor still incur arcane spell failure.

Patterns in the Shadows [Multiclass]
    Prerequisite: Cryptic level 1st, Shadowcaster level 1st
    Benefit: Levels in Cryptic and Shadowcaster stack for the purposes of acquiring and advancing enhanced disruption as well as the caster level of mysteries you cast as a shadowcaster and the manifester level of powers you manifest as a cryptic.
    Furthermore, you may attempt to hide the visual pattern usually displayed when manifesting cryptic powers if you possess the Discreet Casting class feature. A perception check becomes required to notice this pattern, equal to the check required to notice your shadow is making different gestures than you when utilizing the discreet casting class feature.

Shadow Marksman[Multiclass]
    Prerequisite: Marksman level 1st, Shadowcaster level 1st
    Benefit: Levels in Marksman and Shadowcaster stack for the purposes of advancing Wind Reader as well as the caster level of mysteries you cast as a shadowcaster and the manifester level of powers you manifest as a marksman.
    Furthermore, you may treat Arrow of Dusk as if you selected it for your Favored Weapon class feature, and may choose to do lethal damage with it, but doing so reduces its damage to 1d6. Any and all class features of the marksman class that can be used with ranged weapons can be used with the arrow of dusk mystery.

Shadow Smith [Multiclass]
    Prerequisite: Shadowcaster level 1st, Soulknife level 1st
    Benefit: Levels in Shadowcaster and Soulknife stack for the purpose of acquiring and advancing enhanced mind blade and psychic strike, as well as the caster level of mysteries you cast as a shadowcaster.
    Furthermore, you may expend a use of one of your touch mysteries as a free action to channel the mystery through your mind blade. Also you may treat Shadow Striking as on the list of Weapon Special Abilities you may add to your mind blade, having an enhancement bonus value of +3 and requiring 9th level.

Subpsionicist [Multiclass]
    Prerequisite: Psion (generalist, seer, shaper, or telepath) level 1st, Shadowcaster level 1st
    Benefit: Levels in Psion and Shadowcaster stack for the purposes of acquiring and advancing Discipline abilities, as well as the caster level of mysteries you cast as a shadowcaster and the manifester level of powers you manifest as a psion.
    Furthermore, you may expend power points to cast mysteries instead of expending a daily use of said mystery. The number of power points spent is based on the level of the mystery, expending as many as one would expend to cast a power of the same level. If the mystery would normally be cast as an arcane spell, then it is treated as a psionic power, and if the mystery would normally be cast as a spell-like ability, it is striated as a psi-like ability.

Warrior of Thought and Shadow [Multiclass]
    Prerequisite: Psionic Warrior level 1st, Shadowcaster level 1st
    Benefit: Levels in Psionic Warrior and Shadowcaster stack for the purposes of acquiring and abilities from your chosen warrior path and acquiring an additional warrior path, for acquiring the martial power class feature, as well as the caster level of mysteries you cast as a shadowcaster and the manifester level of powers you manifest as a psionic warrior.
    Furthermore, your mysteries are eligible for usage with the martial power class feature.

Wild Shadow [Multiclass]
    Prerequisite: Shadowcaster level 1st, Wilder level 1st
    Benefit: Levels in Shadowcaster and Wilder stack for the purposes of advancing Wild surge and the acquisition and advancement of Surging Euphoria, as well as the caster level of mysteries you cast as a shadowcaster and the manifester level of powers you manifest as a wilder.
    Furthermore, you gain the ability to apply the benefits of your wild surge to mysteries.

OTHER PLAYER OPTIONS

-Nothing Yet-
    Last edited by Xuldarinar; 2014-04-23 at 02:23 AM.
    Extended Signature

Guide to becoming a demon in Pathfinder

Special thanks to Gurgleflep for creating my Avatar

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Shadows of the Mind

This one is great.

by the way, i am like you a big fan of shadow-based stuff and i really like your works ;)

Do you have an idea how to give Shadowcasters and similar a way to be immortal like Vampires/Liches but with a more "shadowy" orientation than necromancy? (by this i mean what abilities/features the template should have)
    Last edited by umbrapolaris; 2014-04-17 at 08:45 PM.
    my color
    Spoiler
    Show

My Class
    Spoiler
    Show

my gestalt heavy damage backstabber build

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by umbrapolaris View Post
    This one is great.

by the way, i am like you a big fan of shadow-based stuff and i really like your works ;)

Do you have an idea how to give Shadowcasters and similar a way to be immortal like Vampires/Liches but with a more "shadowy" orientation than necromancy? (by this i mean what abilities/features the template should have)
    I am glad you like it, along with my other works. Shadow magic has had my attention since the first time I looked at the tome of magic and I want to do it justice when I brew something relating to it.

I have to think about that one, at least in terms of making of my own or giving advice for creating one. I can, however, direct you to a few things.

A shadow lich, as stated in the tome of magic, is basically any mystery-user with the lich template. I have a feeling it isn't what you are looking for, but it is an official option.

A lich shade, which is a part of peacenlove's complete shadowcaster, is an elemental that functions similarly to a lich. Rather than a phylactery, they store their life force within their own shadow.

A child of night, not the D&D 3.5 PrC and is also from peacenlove's complete shadowcaster, is a shadowcaster archetype that starts out having their type changed to undead. While it is not an archetype I would necessarily play normally I do think it looks really cool.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    I am glad you like it, along with my other works. Shadow magic has had my attention since the first time I looked at the tome of magic and I want to do it justice when I brew something relating to it.
    hehe sure, keep doing those great brews :D

I have to think about that one, at least in terms of making of my own or giving advice for creating one. I can, however, direct you to a few things.

thanks for the redirects ( indeed the Shadow Lich is not what i looking for) , the 2 others are interesting but i hope you will create your own one ;)
    my color
    Spoiler
    Show

My Class
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by umbrapolaris View Post
    hehe sure, keep doing those great brews :D

thanks for the redirects ( indeed the Shadow Lich is not what i looking for) , the 2 others are interesting but i hope you will create your own one ;)
    I intend to. I don't always produce gold, in fact more often than not I will throw out little more than an idea and see if it sticks at all or if it just sinks to the bottom, but when I put the time and energy into something and it sticks, it turns out quite well. Feed back always helps me as I am not always an expert when it comes to balancing.

I very well may, but first I'll need to come up with a concept of my own accord. Be inspired, then lay down the mechanics.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

As a fan of psionics, Shadow magic, and all things far-realm... you really need some more time to just sit around and homebrew stuff. Or make a campaign setting. Also please get a homebrew signature: I have more bookmarks of your stuff than I would feel okay admitting without seemingly like a stalker.
    Seriously, though: fantastic work.
    It is by my pen that I do swear
    To write up classes and content with care.
    To review, critique, and P.E.A.C.H. those in need
    These are the words of the homebrewer's creed

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by necroon View Post
    As a fan of psionics, Shadow magic, and all things far-realm... you really need some more time to just sit around and homebrew stuff. Or make a campaign setting. Also please get a homebrew signature: I have more bookmarks of your stuff than I would feel okay admitting without seemingly like a stalker.
    Seriously, though: fantastic work.
    I really should get a homebrew signature. Any recommendations on that? Just an independent thread or post on one devoted to that?

Its always nice to hear positive feed back. As I am sure you could tell, I do rather enjoy shadow magic and things centered around the far-realm. Psionics, not to mention other 'magic' subsystems, do have my interest but not compared to shadow. I have the time, more than enough that is, I just need to devote it and have the ideas to really shape them.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    I really should get a homebrew signature. Any recommendations on that? Just an independent thread or post on one devoted to that?

Its always nice to hear positive feed back. As I am sure you could tell, I do rather enjoy shadow magic and things centered around the far-realm. Psionics, not to mention other 'magic' subsystems, do have my interest but not compared to shadow. I have the time, more than enough that is, I just need to devote it and have the ideas to really shape them.
    This one seems to be the most popular among the avid homebrewers.
    If you ever want a to bounce some ideas around let me know: more than happy to think-tank with 'ya.
    It is by my pen that I do swear
    To write up classes and content with care.
    To review, critique, and P.E.A.C.H. those in need
    These are the words of the homebrewer's creed

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

yes just put some ideas and we an give you feedbacks.

by the way, i just watched "vanishing on 7th street" , where Armageddon comes by devouring wailing shadows that disintegrate people ^^
    my color
    Spoiler
    Show

My Class
    Spoiler
    Show