New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default The Rotting Plague

Two months ago, the inhabitants of Scarsleigh started becoming ill, their flesh dying and rotting even as the afflicted person lived. The disease spread at an alarming rate, and the officials of Scarleigh began quarantining the contaminated in ghettos, slums, and wherever else they could efficiently set up barriers to confine the infected. The solution wasn't perfect, as there were still many diseased people that weren't quarantined, but at least the spread of disease was more-or-less contained. Now, Scarsleigh is at the verge of pandemonium. The slums are filled with dangerous amounts of the contaminated, and they are beginning to assault the rest of the city.

You are all called forth to a bustling cafe by Victoria. The coquettish young singer had told you in her letters that it was about something urgent and of life-and-death importance, but failed to specify anything else. When you arrive at the cafe, the greets each of you with a charming smile, orders a light drink for each of you, and begins talking in an animated tone of voice that raises in pitch until it pracically ends in a squeal.

"Thank you so much for coming! I knew you would come! I have terrible news - grave news - terrible news - for you all. One of my most precious friends has been trapped among those... brutes... in the quarantined zones. I am terrified at what they might do to him, my precious Armand. He might starve, or... or... I don't even want to imagine! Please, will you save him for me? Will you gentlemen rescue a damsel's dog-in-distress?"
    This is the end. Unless, possibly, it isn't.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Question Re: The Rotting Plague

Sker, in the impeccably rumple suit, enters the place. The butler might have stopped him but he already knows that good tipper. The music is, as usual, good, but the patrons are a bit more quiet than usual. A lot of them now fears. The Change has come and the Fate has shown its evil laughter. But all this can be forgotten in this cosy establishment, in the company of friends and strangers.
    Sker walks around, calm and neutral as a cloud in the sky, looking for Victoria and her friends. Not good with keeping time he might have come early.

…

When everybody gather and Victoria has made her speech, he is left doubtful. Good that she has friends to call upon but are we as resourceful as she thought? Wishing to reassure her he begins
    “Dear Vic, we will certainly look into it!
    It’s horrible what happened to your protege. To be left behind, in a quarantined zone… that should not happen to anybody!..
    But tell me, do you know of his fate? How was it that he was lost? Was he ill?
    ”
    Last edited by Artemciy; 2014-04-18 at 04:50 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: The Rotting Plague

Recieving the urgent message, Hiln goes to the bar, taking as many back alleyways and dingy roads as he could to get to his destination. This day, he was wearing a hat, and a thick cloak. It wasn't particularily cold today, so he would have stuck out amongst the crowd. I hope this is something good, perhaps Victoria has finally decided to dump his current boyfriend, and wants me? Ah, but shame, I cannot present her like...this... He murmers to himself, as he is walking down the thin roads. Hiln is aprehensive, as he had been afflicted with the terrible condition that was plaguing the town, and he knows he would be quarentined on the spot, or worse. For some strange reason, however, Hiln had seemed to keep all his memories, and mental functions, leading to a rather shrill scream when Hiln realized what had transpired to him.

Hearing Victoria's request, Hiln thinks Who is this Armand fellow? Victoria's better off without him. However...this does allow me to explore the quarentined zone, and perhaps win some points with Victoria.....I'll see what the others here think first.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Jack was quick to respond to Victoria's request.
    "A chance to help the legendary Victoria?" He practically danced through the air as he whizzed off towards the cafe. The pixie-folk were an uncommon sight, but not totally rare, as the young often took up a pilgrimage to see the world. Jack had no trouble flitting over the heads of the ground-bound with only a few - what he assumed to be jealous - stares.

Everything was just so massive! Even his drink, which came in a thimble, rather than a mug, was the size of a bucket to the small pixie. He stared and listened to Victoria's every word, barely taking notice of the others at the table.

Something caught his attention though, that the others did not seem to notice.

"Dog-in-distress...?" He paused, glancing at the others. Had he misheard? Or was his understanding of human language failing him again?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Tyler saunters into the cafe, pushing his way through a crowd of people as he comes to Victoria's table. He seats himself, receiving his drink and chugging it throughout the conversation. The girl's tone annoyed him, and he didn't listen to her very much, preferring to ogle the young lady's 'goods' while faking attentiveness. He gets the context of what she said, something about saving a friend of her's trapped in Scarsleigh.
    "Eh, I was planning on going there anyways," Tyler thinks, "And ladies love heroes, don't they? Might be fun...
    "I'd love to do so, Vic," Tyler says, mustering any suave he ever had, projecting an air of concern for the young lady. It was an excuse to go have fun where he wouldn't have his usual rivals getting in his way, and he was pretty fine with that.
    Humanized version of my first avatar made linklele.

Declared God of Chance and Creativity as well as Equestria's Master of the d20.

Quote Originally Posted by backwaterj View Post
    Love for the d12! Dudeons wins the game!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oh yes, Armand is a terrier!" says Victoria, addressing Jack. "I was walking him through Tailor Street last week when he saw a cat, broke free from his leash, and went running off into a little back-alley. I tried to call him back, but he wouldn't listen, and so I tried following him. I saw him run off into the quarantined area at the Bellemont Avenue park, and would have followed him there, except I was assaulted by some of the nasty diseased people. Who knows what they might have done to Armand now, poor dog?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    When you're ready to go, you have to first buy equipment. State what items you're buying, the worth of the items, and how much Wealth you're buying each of them with, and I'll make the checks to see whether you succeed in buying the items.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Chimera

Oh, its her pet pup is it? Then I have no qualms about assisting now. I will agree to help. Hiln decides mentally, before orating in his now slow and rhaspy voice. I....would love to assist you m'lady.
    I try to keep track of the games I am in, but if you feel like I haven't been posting, dont hesitate to PM me! I usually check the forums at least twice a day.

8. - Top - End - #8

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show

Jack wants to buy some sort of ranged weapon, as well as maybe some gloves that will increase his spell-casting. I'm not sure what sort of worth to assign these items, given the rarity and difficulty of finding / making equipment that Jack could equip. I don't mind using all my Wealth to acquire these items. I'd prefer the spell-casting gloves over the crossbow.

9. - Top - End - #9

Spoiler: things I want to buy
    Show
    I would like a scapel (dagger so dmg 0) spending 3 wealth on that in the hopes of success.

Umm so leather armor (ARM 2 ) and will spend the remaining wealth on that (which is two.)
    Spoiler: My Sig
    Show
    Games I'm DMing
    Donvaor: Depths of Shadow : Recruitment/OC/IC

HomeBrew:
    Scribble's Fire Emblem System

Credit to Elder Tsofu for the awesome avatar.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

“It is decided then” says Sker observing the bunch of misfits decorating the cafe “we set off to equip ourselves and find the dog”.
    Spoiler
    Show
    ”I want a short scatter-gun” he thinks, rolling 2 of Wealth (1d2+2)[3] for a DR 2 weapon.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Chimera

Laughing internally, Hiln thinks Armor wouldn't do much good for this corps of a body

Spoiler: OoC
    Show

Hiln will search for a warhammer with knobbled end, like a meat tenderizer. (DR 2)
    Example:Like this
    He will spend 3 wealth for it.
    (5d6)[4][5][2][3][3](17)
    I try to keep track of the games I am in, but if you feel like I haven't been posting, dont hesitate to PM me! I usually check the forums at least twice a day.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Sighing, the ladies bodyguard nodded. "Very well my lady. We'll see if we can't find it. You don't happen to have a spare sword on you perchance?"

Spoiler
    Show
    A Sword! I want a Sword! Damage 2 +1 for being a Sword!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Weapons have a markup of 3 dice in Scarsleigh, because the general paranoia surrounding the place makes everybody want to own some weapons of their own.
    The markup for armor is only 2 dice - it's a pain to wear the stuff everywhere, so people are less keen on buying it.
    Zjackrum: Okay, what kind of crossbow are we talking about here? A light one, a medium one, or a heavy one? Or perhaps your character would prefer an itty-bitty crossbow with a damage rating of 0 or 1? Items give you bonuses on various types of rolls. Magic items that give you general bonuses (like magic gloves) have a worth of 2 per bonus die. So if your gloves give you 3 bonus dice when you make a spellcasting roll, that means the gloves have a worth of 6. You'll have to make a sociality+worth check of 6+markup for magic items.
    1whoscribbled: Daggers are actually 1 Damage - +1 for being sharp. And leather armor has a damage rating of 1, not 2, according to the Donjon rulebook. Do you still want to buy these things?
    I'll talk you all through Artemciy's check to buy armor, just to familiarize you guys with the system. His character wants to buy a scattergun (presumably, it would be a steampunky version of a scattergun?) His sociality is 2, and he's buying the item with a wealth of 2, so he gets 4 dice on the check to buy the item. The item's worth is 2, and the markup for weapons is 3. That means the opposition to his spending check is 5 dice. I'll be rolling d10s here, not the d20s that are recommended by the Donjon - this fix is recommended by the designer himself, and makes for a more fast-paced game.
    Artemciy: (4d10)[4][10][3][4](21)
    Opposition: (5d10)[1][7][4][6][9](27)
    Artemciy's highest roll is a 10, and the opposition's highest roll is only a 9. He succeeds the check and buys the item. Congratulations, Hiln has bought a scattergun for 2 wealth! In a normal check, he'd also get 1 success (because he has one roll above the opposition's highest roll), but in spending tests the Law of Successes doesn't apply.

I do the same for PhoenixRise: 2 sociality + 3 wealth = 5 dice: (5d10)[7][1][4][9][1](22)
    Opposition: 2 worth + 3 markup (5d10)[26] Whoops, I forgot to use rollv. Use this instead (5d10)[10][3][1][1][9](24)
    The opposition has 10 to PhoenixRise's 9, so he loses the check and doesn't buy the item. Too bad. On the plus side, he still has all the wealth he would have spent, and can make some more checks to buy different items. Just, not any weapons with a damage rating of 2.

SirDancealot: 3 sociality + 3 wealth = 6 dice (6d10)[5][4][3][5][1][8](26)
    Opposition: 3 worth (2 + 1 sharpness) + 3 markup (6d10)[33] Again, use this instead: (6d10)[4][10][2][9][10][10](45)
    Brutal! The opposition has 3 10s and a 9 to SirDancealot's 8. In normal circumstances, it would have 4 successes against her, but luckily this is only a spending test. She keeps all her wealth and can try again to buy something else.

Victoria beams at you all, saying "Thank you! Now shoo, save dear Armand!" With a sharp glance at Faraam, she adds "And no, of course I have no swords. I thought you did. What kind of bodyguard doesn't carry a sword?"
    You all go shopping for gear around Scarsleigh, with varying levels of success. Sker soon finds a vendor willing to sell him a scattergun. After a little haggling, the gun is in his hands, and several gold coins are in the vendor's. Hiln and Faraam aren't so lucky, however: most seem too frightened by Hiln's undead-ness to sell him anything, and no shops Faraam visits carry any swords - all have been sold already to other Scarsleighians.
    Last edited by Eonas; 2014-04-26 at 11:59 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show

Well my plan was to buy a bow/crossbow with status-modifying ammunition (sleep, paralysis, what-have-you), as the damage from a weapon that size would be basically 0 against normal sized targets. I have no idea what sort of worth such an item would have.

The other item I was considering was gloves of +1 or +2 spellcasting. I'd rather have the gloves though, so feel free to roll whatever dice you think are needed to get me the gloves (and the bow, if possible)