New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Broken Gate (Ch. I)

"What do you offer? I can pay in gold.
    I am posting from my IPhone 90% of the time. Please forgive any spellcheck errors.
    Notice: All events written about or discussed on this site are fictional and fantasy/science fiction based.They are for entertainment purposes only within a fantasy/science fiction game and any relationship to the real world (events, individuals, situations, etc) are unintended and coincidental.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Dwarf in the Playground

{table] Calthoric Wintersbane | Human| Rogue| LVL 6 | CN |MED
    hp: 34/34 | Init +3 | Spd 30 | AC/T/FF | 15/13/12 | Leather Armor
    Melee Atk |+4 Short Sword | dmg: 1d6 | Ranged Atk |+7 Short Bow | dmg: 1d6
    SV | Fort +4 | Ref +8 | Wil +1||Arrows:60
    STR 10 | DEX 16 | CON 14 | INT 13 | WIS 8 | CHA 12
    [/table]

Still in hushed tone Calthoric responds "Well obviously gold will part of the payment. What I am offering is simple. I was asked by the bounty hunter to help him out as he too feels he has the wrong man. I do not have the time investigate who the right man is. If you know who the person that did attack the member of the House of Nord or have proof that the house of Nord is lying Give me the information and I will be sure the bounty hunter gets it. My fee for your brothers freedom is 300 gold piece. You have three hours to get me the information or you will have to pay the bounty hunters fee for holding till the information is delivered."

Spoiler
    Show
    {table]Spot|1d20+7|Listen|1d20+7
    Hide|1d20+11|Move Silently|1d20+11
    Bluff|1d20+9|Open Lock|1d20+14
    Search|1d20+10|UMD|1d20+9
    Disable Device|1d20+12|Deplomacy|1d20+6
    SlightofHand|1d20+8[/table]
    If you can't be nice...At least be vague.
    Do not anger my sleeping dragons --> See all my Dragons

3. - Top - End - #543
    Ogre in the Playground

"My brother was up north when the murder was supposed to have occurred. We do not know the culprit but because of the investigation all of our trade has been halted causing us to loose lots of gold. I will give you 1000 gold for the return of my brother alive. Maybe checking into the house of Nord might give you more information."
    I am posting from my IPhone 90% of the time. Please forgive any spellcheck errors.
    Notice: All events written about or discussed on this site are fictional and fantasy/science fiction based.They are for entertainment purposes only within a fantasy/science fiction game and any relationship to the real world (events, individuals, situations, etc) are unintended and coincidental.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Dwarf in the Playground

[/table]

Calthoric jaw drops a bit at the price they are willing to pay. He stands there a moment contemplating their offer. "Is there a non house member that can verify that he was up north at the time of the murder? I will get your brother free. For the record who am I speaking with and where can you be reached?. I will send a missive to the bounty hunter and let him know what is happening so he does not make any rash decisions." After hearing their details he says to them that he will be in touch and returns to the rest of the group.

"Have you decided which is the best destination for us? I have some interesting offers from those men that were arguing. It seems our bounty hunter captain has their brother who was the prisoner on the ship. They claim he was up north during the time of the murder of the house member of Nord. They offered a sum of 1000 gold to help free him. This man also said he could get us in contact with someone who might have knowledge of a great many things. I know Master Bolvar aches to be free of the city, though I do not mind it so much I too wish to be traveling with purpose. I will send a missive to the captain and hope he has not already turned him in. What do you all think our next course should be." As he listens to the group he scribbles quickly on a blank piece of parchment a note. He hands it to the barmaid with instructions to deliver it to First Mate Dwak of the bounty hunter vessel on pier 4 telling her he will reward her well for it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Note reads:
    Captain [nameless couldnt find it in past posts though i did ask for it.],
    I have found the family of your bounty they say that the bounty was in the north regions during time of murder. Heading to [village that is decided] tonight and will check local tavern for your response. Leave it to the name of Horatio.

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #545
    Ogre in the Playground

The Noble says,"He left on a hunting expedition two months ago, the expedition was not for hunting but for something that cannot be named . Therefore, he could not have been here to do the murder and then return north. I am Ven, here is my ring, show it at my house and I will talk with you when you come."

6. - Top - End - #546
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    {table]Rasellia Greenleaf|Half-elf|Favoured Soul|6 LVL|LG|M
    hp: 44/44
    |Init +0|Spd 20|AC/T/FF|16/10/16|Light
    Melee Atk |+8 longsword|dmg: 1d8+2|Ranged Atk|+4 light crossbow|dmg: 1d8|
    SV|Fort +6|Ref +5|Will +7|
    STR 14|DEX 10|CON 12|INT 8|WIS 15| CHA 14[/table]Spells:
    {table]Level | Known | Per day | Bonus | Total | Used
    0 (DC:12)| detect magic, cure minor wounds, create water, mending, detect poison, light, purify food and drink | 6 | - | 6 | 1
    1 (DC:13)| cure light wounds, shield of faith +2, bless, divine favour, obscuring mist | 6 | 1 | 7 | 2
    2 (DC:14)| cure moderate wounds, shield other, status, lesser restoration | 5 | 1 | 6 | 1
    3 (DC: 15)| cure serious wounds, mass resist energy, searing light | 3 | 0 | 3 | 0[/table]

Frowning, Rasellia thinks for a moment. "While I'm in no hurry to leave the city either, and money helps us in our task... you forget our main reason for leaving here; we have been discovered, Calthoric, and unless we leave now, innocents are going to be hurt..." Mulling over this for a bit, she gnaws on her lower lip. "How long will it take...?"
    Last edited by Chu; 2007-05-17 at 01:15 AM.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Ogre in the Playground

The man shrugs at her question, I do not know how long it will take to free my brothers name, but miss, if you are worried about innocents, he is one"

8. - Top - End - #548
    Halfling in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    {table]Bolvar| Human | Barbarian | LVL 6 | CG |MED
    hp: 47/52 | Init +1 | Spd 30 | AC/T/FF | 16/11/15 | Breastplate
    Melee Atk | +9 Greatsword | dmg: 2d6+2 | Ranged Atk | -| -
    SV | Fort +8 | Ref +3 | Wil +2|
    STR 14 | DEX 13 | CON 16 | INT 8 | WIS 10 | CHA 12
    [/table]
    Spoiler
    Show
    {table] Listen(1d20) = 10 spot[(1d20) = 16[/table]

Bolvar looks the mans brother, and sighs. "While your brother may be innocent, I am worried about total numbers here. If we stay here, we risk the lives of the town from that dra....why am I saying this?" Bolvar stops himself from spilling more information. "The point is, we need to leave. However, Thorael brought up a good point. Prehaps they will not attack again? Taking the time to right this small wrong will give us time to see if we really need to leave." Bolvar turns to look at Calthoric. "Lets do our best to help this man, but be quick about it."

Bolvar pulls out his money pouch. "It is not much, but it is the money that we earned in getting here. I am no good with numbers, so I cannot say how much it is. However, if we must leave I will gladly spend it for the group to aid us in fleeing this city."
    Last edited by Finn523; 2007-06-02 at 03:23 PM.
    "What will be on the final? Two things. Pain and suffering" -Prof Hanson

9. - Top - End - #549
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    After spending most of the day wondering what to do, you head down to the docks to see about heading south. You find a vessel that is leaving in less than an hour. You and the captain barging upon a price, 22 gold to take you and your cart full of your things across the river. He is heading out to sea but knows of a dock to the south that he can let you out upon. Soon, the cart with mule (or horse) is loaded up and you are on your way. You feel the spray of the waves upon your face as you head out into the open river. The journey seems quick for soon you see the other shore. A lone dock appears in the midst of a rocky shore. The boat is anchored a bit from shore. A rowboat brings you and your belongings up to the dock with the cart floating near behind. Soon you are back on dry land packing your things back into a slightly damp cart. The sun is quickly setting in the west as you see your transport sailing off towards the sea. The thought of your previously warm inn bed causes you to sigh, knowing that it will be a bit before you slumber away from the elements.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by crimson77; 2007-05-23 at 09:18 AM.

10. - Top - End - #550
    Ogre in the Playground

The party is still back in town at the bar...

11. - Top - End - #551
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    0 (DC:12)| detect magic, cure minor wounds, create water, mending, detect poison, light, purify food and drink | 6 | - | 6 | 1
    1 (DC:13)| cure light wounds, shield of faith +2, bless, divine favour, obscuring mist | 6 | 1 | 7 | 2
    2 (DC:14)| cure moderate wounds, shield other, status, lesser restoration | 5 | 1 | 6 | 1
    3 (DC: 15)| cure serious wounds, mass resist energy, searing light | 3 | 0 | 3 | 0[/table]

"Very well. If what you say is true, we'll help you."

After a little while of discussing where to go after said mission, the party makes their way to the Istarian abode and shows the ring.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Dwarf in the Playground

[/table]

Calthoric follows Rasillia a short way and notices she is leading the party to the Ishtar residence. "Lady Rasellia I can see you are leading us towards the Ishtar residence. I think you misunderstood what Van has stated. He if we wish to speak to him again we are to approach their abode. I think we should bypass the middle man and head right to the House of Nord. Using the ring we shall mask as an envoy speaking for Van himself and see what information that will lead too. At least that is the plan I have in mind. We have to prove this murder to be false and someone to testify or a paper stating that there is some conspiracy. What do you all think of that plan?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Wildboy; 2007-05-23 at 12:49 PM.

13. - Top - End - #553
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Thorael of Baelsgreen
    Spoiler
    Show
    {table]Thorael|Elf|Wizard|LVL 6|LN|MED
    hp:23/23|Init+2|Spd30|AC/T/FF|12/12/10|Robes
    Melee Atk|+2 Longsword|dmg: 1d8-1|Ranged Atk|+5 Lt XBow|dmg: 1d8
    SV|Fort +3|Ref +4|Will +5|
    STR 8|DEX 15|CON 12|INT 16|WIS 10|CHA 12[/table]

Spells...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arcane Spells Readied
    (4)Cantrips [DC 13] - Detect Magic, Detect Magic, Message, Prestidigitation
    (4)Level 1 [DC 14] - Animate Rope, Mount, Mount, Ray of Enfeeblement
    (4)Level 2 [DC 15] - Knock, Knock, Invisibility, Invisibility
    (3)Level 3 [DC 16] - Dispel Magic, Dispel Magic, Ray of Exhaustion
    Gilly
    Spoiler
    Show
    {table]Gilly|Goblin|-|-|-|Small
    hp:5/5|Init+1|Spd30|AC/T/FF|15/12/14|Leather Armor
    Melee Atk|+2 Morning Star|dmg: 1d6|Ranged Atk|+3 Javelin|dmg: 1d4
    SV|Fort +3|Ref +1|Will -1|
    STR 11|DEX 13|CON 12|INT 10|WIS 9|CHA 6[/table]

Thorael speaks in hushed tones. "Thats an awful idea. If they set up the brother for some murder, you going up there as a envoy will either get you killed, or worse... robbed again. Do you not think that they know who's authorized to speak for them. Yes we have the ring, but any pickpocket worth his salt could have acquired that. Feigning as an envoy is a great idea, just not to the house of Nord. We need to find out everything we can about the murder. The house of nord is not the place to start... perhaps we should entertain some other ideas on where to begin. Then again, perhaps i should continue to remain silent."
    Spoiler
    Show
    {table="width=100%"]Spot|1d20+4|Listen|1d20+4[/table]
    Last edited by Ayrynthyn; 2007-05-23 at 01:28 PM.
    ~Ayr

14. - Top - End - #554
    Ogre in the Playground

The noble shakes his head, "My brother had nothing to do with the murders, however, i do need to keep our secrets. Maybe you should start asking questions around the house of Nord. Find out who was killed and why they think it was my brother. I know that our house had nothing to gain from his murder and everything to loose. We have lost our status as merchants until the guilty party is brought to justice, that means coins are being lost as our good sit in our warehouse and rot."

15. - Top - End - #555
    Dwarf in the Playground

[/table]

"Very well, you anonymity will remain, however the House of Nord is our objective. We'll head there and get the information we need. I have an idea and a trick or two that might help in the situation. Let us go and see what comes to bare." Calthoric heads towards the directions given by Ven to the house of Nord.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #556
    Ogre in the Playground

You head down to the Noble houses, after about an hour of walking you find the House of Nord. You see it is quite busy with wagons leaving with goods and men tending to the gardens. It is surrounded by a large steel fence. There is a gate with a few guards standing beside it.

It most likely looks something like this
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by crimson77; 2007-05-24 at 11:41 AM.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Rasellia follows Calthoric, but says little, the upper class having always grated on her nerves. She knew this situation required delicacy, so she decided it would be better for Calthoric, who seemed to have been born with a silver tongue and a good deal of street savvy, to do all the talking.

18. - Top - End - #558
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Thorael of Baelsgreen
    Spoiler
    Show

Spells...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arcane Spells Readied
    Gilly
    Spoiler
    Show

Inhaling deeply Thorael takes in the sights and smells of this noble house. The fragrant flowers remind him so much of home. Impressive for a human dwelling. Looking around he spots the guard house, and sees his companions looking at him. The "oh no" looks on their faces brings a smirk to his, as he strolls up to the guard house leaving gilly behind with the others.

"You there! Apathetic guard person. You seem to be adequately able of guarding... things". The mage pauses a moment allowing his compliment to have it full effect. Continuing on "... I'm sure you get this every day, but we are a cadre of problem solvers who have heard of your terrible terrible loss, our deepest sympathies, truly. What ever reward is being offered is really secondary to seeing that justice is done. A greatly appreciated afterthought, but secondary none the less. You seem to be a..uh.. natural leader among men, and must surely ..em..know all of the goings on here. We wish to throw our exiguous assets and skills at this conundrum. Tell me good man, could you tell us anything about the murder or point us in the direction of someone who could?"

crossing his arms and beaming a large smile, Thoreal is clearly pleased with himself glances back at his compadres, nods and winks before turning his attention back at the gate guard.

Spoiler
    Show
    {table="width=100%"]Spot|[]1d20+4[]|Listen|[]1d20+4[][/table]
    Last edited by Ayrynthyn; 2007-05-25 at 11:19 AM.
    ~Ayr

19. - Top - End - #559
    Ogre in the Playground

The guard seems to notice your presence for the first time. "Ah, terrible it was to have our leader slain, however, we now celebrate that his murder has been captured. Thank the Saint that a priest was near by to raise him from the dead soon after his murder, so that he could name his killer. I am not sure that there is anything left to solve, except maybe why the Dwarves have not returned the captive murderer."

20. - Top - End - #560

Spoiler
    Show
    [/table]
    Spoiler
    Show
    {table] Listen(1d20) = 10 spot[(1d20) = 16[/table]

Bolvar sighs deeply. "How are we ever going to prove someone innocent when we have a ressurected man to name the killer?"

"Ressurection eh? Sounds like a powerful spell indeed. I only hope it will never need to be casted on myself. I wonder if there is a time limit on the spell? Like, was the leader dead for a day or two and everyone saw the dead body?"
    Last edited by Finn523; 2007-05-29 at 07:04 PM.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Ogre in the Playground

"The guard looks confused by Bolvar's comment as looks back to the party to see if they will answer.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

"My suspicions, Bolvar, are that they had a cleric nearby, or probably even on-site, to restore the noble to life... bringing back the ded isn't all that a complicated spell either; had I applied myself, I'd be able to cast such spells myself right now. Granted, they'd be of the lower end of the scale, but..." Blushing as she realizes she's rambling, she shifts her weight from one foot to the other, looking at Calthoric for help.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Dwarf in the Playground

[/table]

Calthoric listens to the party as they make their contributions. Knowing little of the magics to resurrection it seems the most likely way to start investigating. "Yes it is extremely fortunate that a priest was near by. Master Bolvar bring up a good point as well, I too am unfamiliar with the process. How long was this leader of yours dead for? Also did the priest see the murder take place or was he just happening by and found the body? How do we know there was a murder if the supposed victim still lives? Mind you I am merely asking these questions to help aid that justice be done. We would not want the accused to get off on a technicality. After all anyone can say they were murdered and then resurrected, I could state that the same has happened to me and that your sir were the one that killed me. We wish to help solidify the prisoners guilt.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff|(1d20+9)[20]|Open Lock|1d20+14
    Disable Device|1d20+12|Deplomacy|(1d20+6)[22]

24. - Top - End - #564
    Ogre in the Playground

The guard looks a little baffled as you continue to question him"Well, Sir, i believe that he was dead for a little bit before the priest came to help him. His son found the body and called the priest. There is still a blood stain on the carpet where he lay. Is this a formal investigation? Mind you that the city detective was already here several days ago."

25. - Top - End - #565
    Dwarf in the Playground

[/table]

"Well this is and is not a formal investigation. We are working behind the scenes shall we say. It was brought to the cities legal advisors that the detective investigating the matter was seen talking in a tavern in hushed tones with a member of the Ishtar House. As important as this investigation is we are doing two things here. One to make sure that justice is served and two weeding out any possible corruption in the department. So if you would mind your tongue as too not tip our hand can only benefit your house. Though should word of our investigation get out any possibility of proving corruption as well as ensuring the prisoners conviction could be lost. With that being said if you can now take us to the crime scene as well as to the priest it would be most beneficial.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #566
    Ogre in the Playground

The guard nods his head, "Let me go tell my boss and see if i can lead you through the crime scene." The guard hurries off and quickly returns. "If you will come with me, i can take you to the crime scene." He leads you through the gardens and into the house. He makes hand gestures to each of the guards as he comes through. You arrive at the library. There appears to be a large blood stain on the carpet. A priest arrives as well, obviously hurried along. "What is the meaning of this, why must i come here now?" The priest questions. "These men are conducting a follow up investigation, your presence is needed here." The priest now turns to you, "What do you need from me, you are interrupting my prayers."

27. - Top - End - #567
    Ogre in the Playground

[MAP]
    Spoiler
    Show

On you way into the library you pass through what looks to be a large common room that servants are in the process of setting up for a banquet. You can smell food cooking. You arrive at the library (as previous post indicates).

[ooc: I am not sure what details are important to you, you might want to look around or at specific things.]

28. - Top - End - #568

Spoiler
    Show
    [/table]
    Spoiler
    Show
    {table] Listen(1d20) = 12 spot[(1d20) = 18[/table]

Bolvar smiles and claps Calthoric on the shoulder as they walk to the murder scene. "I am glad you caught was I was trying to say. Words are tough things." When the priest arrives, Bolvar turns to him. "Are you the priest that raised the lord of this house from the dead?"
    Last edited by Finn523; 2007-05-31 at 12:44 AM.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Ogre in the Playground

"I am the Priest that raised Lord Nord from the dead. Who might I be speaking with?"

30. - Top - End - #570
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Thorael of Baelsgreen
    Spoiler
    Show

Spells...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arcane Spells Readied
    Gilly
    Spoiler
    Show

Glancing up and down the priest, Thorael gives a smile he typically reserves for Rasellia. "My... er our apologies pontiff, I have recently only just begun to understand how you must ask your higher being to grant you purpose in a timely fashion daily in order to be um... er... usef..ah to have um, as mentioned... purpose. We ah..." Shooting looks to both Rasellia, and Calthoric, he seems to reconsider "... er, Sorry. We mean not to inturupt your... you know, i think i'll just be over here" The wizard strolls over to the western wall, and begins looking about not really sure why they wanted to talk to this priest in the first place
    Spoiler
    Show
    {table="width=100%"]Spot|1d20+4|Listen|1d20+4[/table]
    Last edited by Ayrynthyn; 2007-05-30 at 08:45 AM.
    ~Ayr