New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default [Core Class Variant]Taking down CoDzilla, Part 1: Cleric [PEACH]

I made a couple tweaks to Druids and Clerics which has, I've found, toned them down considerably in combat and allowed the melee types to do their melee thing. It even keeps the crunchy flavor of CoDzilla alive and instead just tones it down a wee bit. Clerics are still armored spellcasters flinging spells and Druids are still shape-shifting spellcasters with a bit of hippy in them.

For the first one, I'm posting the Cleric variant.

Cleric
    Hit Die: d8

Cleric
    {table]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|
    1|+0|+0|+0|+2|
    2|+1|+0|+0|+3|
    3|+2|+1|+1|+3|
    4|+3|+1|+1|+4|
    5|+3|+1|+1|+4|Divine Fortitude +1
    6|+4|+2|+2|+5|
    7|+5|+2|+2|+5|
    8|+6|+2|+2|+6|
    9|+6|+3|+3|+6|
    10|+7|+3|+3|+7|
    11|+8|+3|+3|+7|Divine Fortitude +2
    12|+9|+4|+4|+8|
    13|+9|+4|+4|+8|
    14|+10|+4|+4|+9|
    15|+11|+5|+5|+9|
    16|+12|+5|+5|+10|
    17|+12|+5|+5|+10|Divine Fortitude +3
    18|+13|+6|+6|+11|
    19|+14|+6|+6|+11|
    20|+15|+6|+6|+12|[/table]

Class Features
    Weapon and Armor proficiency: Clerics are proficient with all simple weapons, Light and Medium armor, and with shields (except Tower shields).

A cleric who chooses the War domain receives the Weapon Focus feat related to his deity’s weapon as a bonus feat and becomes proficient with Heavy armor. He also receives the appropriate Martial Weapon Proficiency feat as a bonus feat, if the weapon falls into that category.

Spells: The Cleric casts spells as normal.

Divine Fortitude: Beginning at Level 5, the Cleric gains a +1 bonus to their Fortitude Save due to the faith of their convictions. At Level 11 this increases to a +2 bonus and at Level 17 this increases to a +3.

Spell Changes

Divine Favor
    Level: Cleric 1, Paladin 1
    Components: V, S, DF
    Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
    Range: Touch
    Target: 1 Creature
    Duration: 3 rounds/level to a maximum of 10 rounds
    Calling upon the strength and wisdom of your deity, the target gains a +1 luck bonus on attack and weapon damage rolls for every three caster levels you have (at least +1, maximum +3). The bonus doesn’t apply to spell damage. To recieve the benefit from this spell, the target creature must be within one step of your deity's alignment.

Divine Power
    Level: Cleric 4, War 4
    Range: Personal
    Target: You
    Duration: 1 round/level
    Calling upon the divine power of your patron, you imbue yourself with strength and skill in combat. You gain a +5 enhancement bonus to your attack rolls, a +6 enhancement bonus to strength, and you gain 1 temporary hit point per caster level.

Righteous Might
    Level: Cleric 5, War 5
    Range: Personal
    Target: You
    Duration: 1 round/level
    This spell causes you to grow, doubling your height and multiplying your weight by 8. This increase changes your size category to the next larger one, and you gain a +4 size bonus to Strength and a +2 size bonus to Constitution. You gain a +2 enhancement bonus to your natural armor. You gain damage reduction 2/evil (if you normally channel positive energy) or damage reduction 2/good (if you normally channel negative energy). At 12th level this damage reduction becomes 4/evil or 4/good, and at 15th level it becomes 6/evil or 6/good (the maximum). Your size modifier for AC and attacks changes as appropriate to your new size category. This spell doesn’t change your speed. Determine space and reach as appropriate to your new size. If this spell is combined with Divine Power, the rapture of channeling so much of your God's power is such that you are unable to cast spells until one spell's duration ends.

Summary of Changes: The Cleric is still strong and good in a melee fight, but he no longer outshines the party's straight melee combatants. If he's forced to step up and be a front line fighter he does possess the capability to do so, but now there's a clear deliniation of who belongs where and the Cleric no longer suffers the identity crisis of being a front-line fighter and a primary spellcaster.

The lack of Heavy Armor means that if the Cleric wants to get the absolute best armor money can buy, he now has to burn a feat to use it, a feat he could probably better use to bolster his spellcasting or undead turning. Similarily, the Cleric no longer has a Good Fortitude save. If I were using variant rules I might have implemented the one which allows for three tiers of Save Progression, but I'm not so I didn't.

The big change is, of course, to the "Big Three" Cleric spells: Divine Favor, Divine Power, and Righteous Might.

○ Divine Favor I liked enough to allow it to stay, but decided it'd be more useful if the Cleric had the option of blessing other party members his diety might approve of. It's technically more powerful than Bless, but lacks the area of effect and can't be used on everyone. A Chaotic Good character couldn't recieve the Divine Favor of a Lawful Good diety, for example.

Divine Power needed a change quite badly. the degree to which it outshone the Wizard's thematically similar spell Transformation was a little too much. Essentially it lost a bit on the Ability Score enhancement, but added HP and the ability to still cast spells on top of a class that's already combat oriented to begin with. Oh, and it was two levels lower so that the Cleric could begin to use it four levels before the Wizard. Thematically, it's similar to it's base idea but doesn't allow the Cleric to outshine the melee-types with a single spell.

Righteous Might didn't necessarily need to be toned down by itself, but when combined with the original Divine Power it was a little too broken. I just reduced the DR a bit and gave Clerics the choice of using both personal buffs or being able to cast spells in combat, an idea I gleefully swiped from the arcane Transformation spell.

Next up is the Druid variant, which is a bit more of a radical departure than the Cleric variant I've got here. Feedback is appreciated, guys. I've gotten a good response from the group I've run this variant with, including the guy who usually runs Clerics.

Edit: I've added in Divine Fortitude (leaving the Cleric's effective Fortitude at +9 instead of +6) and granted Heavy Armor proficiency to the War domain. Makes sense that the most war-like Clerics would get the training in the heaviest armor.
    Last edited by That Lanky Bugger; 2007-02-09 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Added a proper table
    Gallery 1Gallery 2Gallery 3Make Avatars With MS Paint
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Simius for the Xill Bard, Abardam for the Gray Rendar, Sampi for the Memphit, Rex for the Aristocrat and Onasuma for the Bearded Devil!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [Core Class Variant]Taking down CoDzilla, Part 1: Cleric [PEACH]

Until recently, I never realised that clerics had a good fort save: its a silly idea to start with.

Pulling the heavy armor makes sence too. When I first started playing D&D, I heard of a class called 'Cleric' and I imidiatly though of a guy in orange robes praying at an alter... not a melee combatant with full plate, a shield and the ability to cast spells similar to a wizard (boy, was I wrong...).

Nice simple changes. Easy. Well done.
    We the Unwilling,
    Lead by the Unqualified,
    Have been doing the Unimagineble
    For so Long, with so Little,
    That we shall now attempt the Impossible
    With Nothing!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

I'd change the poor fort save to an avarage fort save. I think, while clerics are overpowered it doesn't change the game that much. My opinion? Change the monk. 3 good saves, WIS bonus to AC and good unarmed damage? Too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

...average save...?

There's only good and poor saves...

unless I'm unaware of some varient wich complicates saves beyond reasoning...
    We the Unwilling,
    Lead by the Unqualified,
    Have been doing the Unimagineble
    For so Long, with so Little,
    That we shall now attempt the Impossible
    With Nothing!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

< is stupid. I dug out my PHB and saw avarage so I assumed it meant saves. It was BAB. Although it would be possible to make a variant like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by magic8BALL View Post
    ...average save...?

There's only good and poor saves...

unless I'm unaware of some varient wich complicates saves beyond reasoning...
    d20 modern introduces the 'average' save progression.

And they're right buggers about it too - all the base classes have average and poor saves - no good saves.
    Catatar made for me many years ago ... pretty sure by banjo1985
    Werewolf Awards: 'Best Narration: Helgraf'
    Rabbit says stuff that makes me blush.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Helgraf View Post
    d20 modern introduces the 'average' save progression.

And they're right buggers about it too - all the base classes have average and poor saves - no good saves.
    It's not so much of a good, medium and poor save, it's more of a poor, good and excelant save,
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin1040 View Post
    I'd change the poor fort save to an avarage fort save. I think, while clerics are overpowered it doesn't change the game that much. My opinion? Change the monk. 3 good saves, WIS bonus to AC and good unarmed damage? Too much.
    Of course, the fact that you cannot bypass more than half of the monsters' DRs', the fact that you cannot deal good damage and the fact that your AC is so limited (compared to, say, swordsage who gets his Wisdom bonus to AC) and that you're only good at remaining alive because most monsters ignore you as a non-threat... Yeah, that is too much.

NOTE: This post doesn't include any opinions of my own, but opinions of people from GitP that I believe know what they're talking about.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

I like. Righteous Might was a bit too powerful on 3.5 (it was just a bit stronger than Enlarge Person in 3.0).
    I sincerely haven't read Divine Power untill now, but it's really a buffed up version of Transformation (old Tenser's Transformation).
    Toning it down a bit works.
    I didn't knew that Divine Favor was broken. But thinking again, it's like Greater Magic Weapon, but can be cast from 1st level. It does need a lower cap.
    Taking out an armor feat works good too, I think.
    I disagree on the Fort Save, though. Cleric is not a pure caster. He's a front line warrior too, he should have a good Fort.

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Closed Account

Bah! I replaced all my divine spellcasters with Archivists and gave paladin and ranger those abilities from CW in my post-divine-apocalyptic world.

Not that it didn't cause more trouble than it fixed.

11. - Top - End - #11

Once I used Righteous Might and Divine Power to take down a Young Green Dragon by myself - at level 9. As much fun as that was, it probably shouldn't have been possible.
    GENERATION 18. The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

Current Project:

My Creations:

Check out Vote up a Power!

12. - Top - End - #12

The average save I referred to was actually the one located in the Wheel of Time d20 game. If I recall correctly, the progression of the saving throws was such that you could finish at +6, +9, or +12 instead of just +6 or +12. I could see giving the Cleric the +9 at 20, to be honest, but I didn't want to introduce a save progression which was "wonky".

Roderick, the Cleric I'm presenting here is still a front line fighter if he NEEDs to be, but against truly heinous opponents he's better off leaving the fighting to the Fighter, Paladin, and even the Ranger. Which is just as it should be. He's still got his armor and his d8 HD, but he doesn't have the Fort save to risk the Massive Damage rules and he's got no way of actually buffing himself up to the level of a Fighter any more.

Oh, and Raistlin1040? I've got you covered on the Monk rewrite. It's still capable of being a combat freak if it wants to be, but it takes out some of the wierder Monk abilities (like being able to teleport because you're really good at punching things) and adds in some more Asian flavor.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Simius for the Xill Bard, Abardam for the Gray Rendar, Sampi for the Memphit, Rex for the Aristocrat and Onasuma for the Bearded Devil!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

If you want medium saves, try the following:
    Divine Protection:
    A +1/+2/+3 Divine bonus to saves at 2/10/16.

The end progression is a bit wonkey, but it does end up with a +9. (edit: +9 not +10)

So +6/+9/+12

Save progressions:
    Last edited by Yakk; 2007-02-09 at 05:18 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

I dunno, I like Clerics having a high Fortitude and proficiency in Heavy Armour. These guys aren't cloistered Clerics, they are the warrior type. Bringing their Spell casting under control is the most important thing.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Yakk View Post
    If you want medium saves, try the following:
    Divine Protection:
    A +1/+2/+3 Divine bonus to saves at 2/10/16.

The end progression is a bit wonkey, but it does end up with a +10.

So +6/+9/+12

Save progressions:
    I like this, so consider it yanked.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Completely obliterating Turn Undead from the class seems a bit drastic: It's a classic, and it isn't that powerful anyway.

Does this Cleric still have spontaneous casting? If I can't take hits very well or compete in melee outside of giving the Fighter Divine Favor and helping him flank, it would be nice to still be effective as a healbot.

I'm also worried about the War domain. If it gives martial weapon proficiency, weapon focus, and heavy armor proficiency, that's three feats from a single domain. A Cleric who didn't take it would be gimping himself automatically.
    Last edited by TO_Incognito; 2007-02-09 at 05:00 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by TO_Incognito View Post
    Completely obliterating Turn Undead from the class seems a bit drastic: It's a classic, and it isn't that powerful anyway.

Does this Cleric still have spontaneous casting? If I can't take hits very well or compete in melee outside of giving the Fighter Divine Favor and helping him flank, it would be nice to still be effective as a healbot.

I'm also worried about the War domain. If it gives martial weapon proficiency, weapon focus, and heavy armor proficiency, that's three feats from a single domain. A Cleric who didn't take it would be gimping himself automatically.
    Sorry, I should have specified... A Cleric still retains all of his normal Undead Turning and Spontaneous Casting. I just didn't transcribe it because I'm lazy.

As for the War Domain. Yeah, it's a little more powerful here. I was actually thinking about making it a choice of Weapon Focus OR Heavy Armor.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    I dunno, I like Clerics having a high Fortitude and proficiency in Heavy Armour. These guys aren't cloistered Clerics, they are the warrior type. Bringing their Spell casting under control is the most important thing.
    But the warrior of the gods is a paladin, not a cleric. They are primary casters, and melee combatants second.
    Ceika is amazing, because she made my Yuna avie. Yay Ceika!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

I am not having this discussion again (oh yes I am ). Clerics are the Warrior arm of the Church. Cloistered Clerics are the non Warrior arm of the Church. Paladins are pious secular knights who often in play (but not as a requirement of the class, indeed the fluff says the majority do not) serve a church, deity or whatever.

Seriously, though, nerfing Clerics with regard to Heavy Armour Proficiency just means that many more wearing Mithral Full Plate anyway.
    Last edited by Matthew; 2007-02-09 at 07:12 PM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)