New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Qlippoth-Spawn Tiefling

What does this look like, in general? I've seen precisely one drawing of a qlippoth-spawn, and it was sparkly chibi fanart (not that I object to sparkly chibi fanart, it just doesn't work here). Does anyone know of a description or mention of these guys anywhere?

My idea for this guy is he's got 5 Int, 20 Wis and lots and lots of eyes, more than any humanoid should at the very least. Thoughts?
    Shield-eaters and world leaders have many likes alike

Freelance D20 Design Guy

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Qlippoth-Spawn Tiefling

Ugly, really ugly. That's from the book they were introduced in.
    I am curious about the fanart in question though.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2014-04-18 at 08:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Deliberate asymmetry. Mouth full of fangs of different lengths. Hands and feet are mismatched, misformed, yet fully functional. Muscles twitch and spasm instead of flowing properly beneath the skin. When possible, use words like Lovecraft does... "rugose," ridged, "squamous," scaled, or to point out the complete unhuman-ness of whatever human features are there, "eldritch," "eerie in a way that's bizarre."

I actually had one that was descended from a golothoma (yes, from 3.5), and as a result had ugly brown-gray skin, a blunt tail that trailed tattered bits of her shadow, and her right arm and fingers were almost as long as the rest of her body, with ridged scales and the hand ultimately resembled the five claws of a golothoma twisted together into a mockery of a human arm. She also had a problem keeping her tongue in her mouth (most apt comparison would be Dark Marik and his... strange facial expressions).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Ugly, really ugly. That's from the book they were introduced in.
    I am curious about the fanart in question though.

Found it.
    Last edited by Soarel; 2014-04-18 at 11:44 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soarel View Post

Found it.
    I actually found that too shortly after I posted that quarry. A nice pic, but it's not how I imagine a Motherless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yep, that's it. I didn't know for sure what a Motherless would look like, but I knew THAT wasn't it. Looks more like some kind of aasimar, honestly.

So - Ideas:
    An eyestalk poking through hair, in the back of the head, on the back of hands. Where the eyes *should* be on a human is just skin. Eyes themselves will be quite beautiful and expressive, like looking into the starlit void, probably the only thing keeping everyone who meets the guy from just screaming in terror or stabbing on sight (eyes go a long way toward humanizing something).
    Hair is black laced with white strands that move sinuously of their own accord.
    Mouth appears normal when closed, but the teeth open horizontally rather than vertically, stretching the mouth in a bizarre fashion.
    One two-segmented leg, one three-segmented, the same length. Six fingers on one hand, three on the other.
    Perhaps a hole in the chest, utterly unbloodied, as if someone had rammed a spear through it and the flesh had simply grown around the wound. You could look through it and see the other side.
    Skin has a blue-white tinge as if suffering from frostbite.
    Alternately, skin is a typical human color but an unnatural rubber sheen.
    Last edited by The Oni; 2014-04-19 at 10:59 AM.
    Shield-eaters and world leaders have many likes alike

Freelance D20 Design Guy

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I actually like the idea that he looks like a completely normal human guy... when he's not doing anything. Every motion is strange, like a stick insect wearing a human suit. He doesn't blink, or blinks each eye individually. His breath is deep and sonorous, and originates from the pit of his stomach. His heart beats visibly through a gelatinous ribcage. When he speaks, all he does is open his mouth wide, revealing a wide, wet, black tunnel lined with grasping cilia leading deep into his body which undulates as it produces fine, intelligent speech.