New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Exclamation Halfling Shortblade (exotic weapon)

While rolling up a halfling fighter the other day an idea for an exotic weapon sprung to my mind. Think of it like the halflings' version of an elven curve blade, or more pragmatically, as a combination rapier/shortsword.

Halfling Shortblade

Exotic Weapon

One-handed Melee Weapon

Weight: 2 lbs

Type: Slashing

DMG: 1d6 (see special)

Crit: 18-20/x2

Special: This weapon is compatible with the Weapon Finesse feat. A Small character gets a +3 to Combat Maneuver Bonus when using this weapon. When used by a Medium or larger creature, this weapon is treated as if that character is not proficient with it.

Fluff: A Halfling Shortblade has a hilt similar to that of a rapier, and a blade like that of a dagger or short sword. The first Halfling Shortblade was designed by a nameless halfling adventurer who sought to overcome his small size. Basing the design of his weapon on a combination of rapier and short sword, he created a unique weapon. This design spread across the world through word of mouth, and any blacksmith who lives in a town with a sizable population of halflings is likely to own one.
    Last edited by Soarel; 2014-04-19 at 02:51 PM. Reason: forgot a couple things

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Halfling Shortblade (exotic weapon)

So it's, what, a rapier with a damage die one step larger than normal? Not worth the feat for an exotic weapon. Not even close. Give it some sort of special ability, perhaps.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

3. - Top - End - #3

PaladinGuy

So it's, what, a rapier with a damage die one step larger than normal? Not worth the feat for an exotic weapon. Not even close. Give it some sort of special ability, perhaps.
    Actually, I forgot to mention the damage type. Also, it cannot be used properly by anyone larger than Small size. That's its special ability. It originally had a CMB bonus but I removed it for being too OP.
    Last edited by Soarel; 2014-04-18 at 11:39 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

1. You don't have a weight class on it
    2. This is basically a small elven thinblade except if you would become bigger you lose proficiency with it.

5. - Top - End - #5

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Amnoriath View Post
    1. You don't have a weight class on it
    2. This is basically a small elven thinblade except if you would become bigger you lose proficiency with it.
    I added the weight class in an edit. Also, this thing is a godsend for halfling melee characters. I've playtested the thing.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soarel View Post
    Actually, I forgot to mention the damage type. Also, it cannot be used properly by anyone larger than Small size. That's its special ability. It originally had a CMB bonus but I removed it for being too OP.
    That's not a special ability, that's a special restriction. Go ahead and add the CMB bonus back-- remember, you probably have to spend a feat to use this weapon, and +1 damage (on average) alone isn't worth one of your precious feat slots.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

I added the weight class in an edit. Also, this thing is a godsend for halfling melee characters. I've playtested the thing.
    But like he mentioned what you wrote literally already exists in 3.5 (The Elven Thinblade). It -might- be piercing instead of slashing damage (I don't remember offhand the Thinblade's damage type), but that matters to basically nobody ever anyway.

Your 'unique property' is literally just a restriction that screws the character if they change size categories for no reason. Not a benefit, and certainly not anything worth spending the feat on.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

8. - Top - End - #8

PaladinGuy

That's not a special ability, that's a special restriction. Go ahead and add the CMB bonus back-- remember, you probably have to spend a feat to use this weapon, and +1 damage (on average) alone isn't worth one of your precious feat slots.
    If you're a halfling (at least in Pathfinder) you have automatic proficiency with it because of the name. Also, I'm adding the CMB bonus back.
    Last edited by Soarel; 2014-04-19 at 01:35 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Flumph

1. You forgot the more important thing. Is it light, one-handed, or two handed?
    2. The CMB makes it better. You should work in a style feat that allows to affect bigger opponents with combat maneuvers as well as better resist them.

10. - Top - End - #10

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Amnoriath View Post
    1. You forgot the more important thing. Is it light, one-handed, or two handed?
    2. The CMB makes it better. You should work in a style feat that allows to affect bigger opponents with combat maneuvers as well as better resist them.
    It's one-handed. That style feat would complicate things, since the purpose of the weapon is basically to give halflings a weapon for melee.

11. - Top - End - #11

Flumph

That style feat would complicate things, since the purpose of the weapon is basically to give halflings a weapon for melee.
    How would it complicate things? You are not taking away anything from the blade, and you are bringing in some much needed small folk foiling the big monsters flavor. So, either you can choose to have it or not. There isn't any complication other than making a little more material.