New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Lessons for paladins [rules discussion disguised as prose]

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Kane View Post
    Technically, you are correct that according to the official rules a cleric or paladin can have no religion and be utterly secular. In practise, I really can't see many GMs allowing it.
    well you must have some mighty stiff DM's.

the PHB states a paladin does not have to specificly worship a deity, many bits of the "fluff" leads one to believe they would. "Divine power protects the paladin and gives her special powers." divine usualy refers to a deity(http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/divine). but others seem to oppose this. "All paladins, regardless of background, recognize in each other an eternal bond that transcends culture, race, and even religion.

in closing. most of the gamers i know, and that is quite a bit, see most paladins as church members, but it realy depends totaly on the setting(therefore DM).

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

It's been very interesting, but I don't think anyone is about to be convinced of the other side's view - and I'm honestly out of anything new to add :)

I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree on the absurdity or otherwise of 'ungodly clergy'.

Thanks everyone - it's been an enjoyable discussion :)
    Elliot's Alignment Definitions

Elliot's forum - The Chaos Cascade - welcomes all nice people.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Fair enough. I enjoyed it too.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

4. - Top - End - #64
    Barbarian in the Playground

I enjoyed it as well. my next character will be called Delasp in tribute. may his blades taste the blood of 1000 orcs! Glory to Syreth!
    Quote Originally Posted by knightsaline View Post
    Living Vengeful Gaze of God/Contingent True Resurrection: Kills you, kills itself, True rezzes itself, kills again, kills itself again, true rezzes itself again..........
    "On the other hand, maybe all of this could have been prevented if you had just managed to get laid once in a while. You can't tell me you would have been as tightly wound if you had been getting treasure type O once in a while"

Roxas avatar made by Adghar. The keyblades are Diamond dust and One Winged Angel