New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: (PTA) Defiance of the Forgotten: Knights of Hoenn

'It's important. It's important to know why you decided "Jeff must not win". Was it because you decided you didn't want someone like him taking the victory and the fame? After all, someone that irresponsible becoming a champion, it reflects badly on all of Hoenn. Or was it simply that you didn't want him to defeat you. Was your pride so shallow that the thought of him being better than you just made your skin crawl?'

'Were you doing things for the sake of others? Or for your own petty sense of pride? I find myself asking "Do I want to oppose them because I feel it's in my people's best interest? Or am I simply enforcing my own power to crush those I disagree with?" I wanted to know your thoughts on the matter. After all, one day, you'll have power over a large number of people.'
    "The advantage of fighting your clone is you know EXACTLY what will make him feel guilty. That's also how Catholicism beats up so many ninjas." - Christopher Hastings, Dr McNinja

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

"He disrespected me, and so I put him in his place. Nothing more, nothing less." She bites her tongue. The girl was blatantly baiting her, and Zoe would not be a pawn in her game.
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show

By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

Sayuri

She gratefully accepts the princess' arm as she coughs.

"Um, thanks. I dated one of the politics correspondents. Well, we went on a date. Half a date. He wouldn't stop talkin' about the Rocket situation, so I sorta left," Sayuri says, looking faintly embarassed. She accepts Birch's handshake "Sayuri Tentin, kinda here on behalf of PokeMonthly. This is Ali. And... uh... how much trouble would I get in if my farfetch'd smacked the crown princess with a leek? In a purely hypothetical sense, of course," she adds, reaching down to take the leek off of Ali. The farfetch'd breaks off the staring contest with Maxine long enough to loudly register her lack of appreciation at losing her beloved alium.

"You can have it back after the party, if you behave," Sayuri says sternly, before giving the other two a very apologetic look. "I'm sorry 'bout her. She's pretty scrappy. Before she lived with me she used to steal tauros from our ranch for some reason. Her and a psyduck. Never did figure out why,"

Teddy chooses this moment to shepherd Willow back to Sayuri, and away from whatever mayhem she'd been wreaking.

"Speakin' of, this is Willow and Teddy. Say hello, boy,"

Teddy obediently sits down and offers a paw. With any luck, the Crown Princess will be thrilled and charmed by this - and if she isn't, Sayuri doesn't have a damn clue what will thrill and charm her - so now's as good a time as any to ask a risky question;

"I hope you don't mind me askin', your highness, but is everythin' alright with your sister? She didn't look all that happy earlier.

...and what did you mean about me bein' like her, or did I misunderstand you?"
    she adds, suddenly nervous. Possibly personal questions - this could get awkward.
    Amazing Banshee avatar by Strawberries. Many, many thanks.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Troll in the Playground

Zoe

'So you are nothing more than a spoiled little girl who thinks herself above her station, not taking into account what her actions can do? You truly are an amusing one.' She leans forward and smiles at Zoe, an unnervingly smile. Not malicious or evil or even gloating. Not even an amused smile.

'If I asked you to forfeit the tournament, would you? Or would you rather take a penalty match as punishment? Hypothetically of course, if I were to ask.'

Catherine

Upon taking a seat, a young man soon comes over to Catherine, bearing a plate of appetisers and a menu. A quick glance at the boys hands, and Catherine immediately notices they are bruised and calloused, marking someone who is more suited to being a fighter. Usually only fighters and martial artists had hands like that, not waiters.

Kline

Kline, having been hired as temporary staff for the event, was surprised to find out he was actually supposed to be working such a fancy get together. Everyone from the royal family, a handful of gym leaders, even Steven fricken Stone was here. He still couldn't believe his fake identity had managed to hold together to pass the security check for something like this. If they had any idea who he really was, no way in Void was he getting within a hundred feet of this party.

As a temporary staff member, his duty wasn't the gym leaders, or the diplomats. Kline's group was to see to the contestants and the press. When he looked over the list of competitors, he had spotted a name which had surprised him, that same girl he had rescued from that accident. Luckily it didn't seem she had recognised him.

Kline was given a plate by one of the chefs, and pointed over to one of the competitors who had just taken a seat. According to the sheet he had memorised, this one was called Catherine.

Sayuri

Strangely, the Princess ignores Teddy, and instead picks up Willow. 'Oh my god, who's a cute girl. You are. Yes you are!' She spoke with a babying voice that defied her build and her usual warrior personality.

Birch just laughed, catching Sayuri's eye. 'Sorry about that.' He gives Teddy a quic scratch behind the ear as a consolation prize. 'She meant what you said about Rocket. It sounds similar to what the little Princess was saying .... actually, forget I said anything.'

'As for the Farfetch'd, you won't get in any trouble. I can't say the same if she decides to hit one of the other princesses or a diplomat, but this lug here is pretty easy going when she's not on duty.'

'Yeah, tonight I'm not Princess Maxine Constance de Hoenn, or Captain de Heonn of the Knights, tonight I'm just a big sister at a party for my little sister.'

Alys

Alys was a contestant in last years competition. She had done pretty good too. She came second place. And a few months later, the gy who had beaten her in the finals had been pulled up on charges of doping his pokemon with performance enhancing with "Rare Candies" as the drug was known. While his victory in the tournament wasn't officially overturned, they couldn't well go inviting him back to attend this years. So luckily, the "Fairy Princess of Pacifidlog" was back in the palace.

This year's tourney totally blew last years out the water. Since this one was changed into a grand birthday party for the Princess, it was much more extravagant compared to Alys's own experience. In fact, only Annabelle had showed up last year, and only at the opening and closing ceremonies. This year, they were totally invited to dine with them!

Alys had entered the hall and was soon directed over to a table at the back, where it looked like Princess Elizabeth was chatting away with that Zoe girl, who Alys had watched win earlier today.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry if the posts are a little rushed today guys, a bit busy today, but I wanted to get Mesi and Blues introduced into the game
    "The advantage of fighting your clone is you know EXACTLY what will make him feel guilty. That's also how Catholicism beats up so many ninjas." - Christopher Hastings, Dr McNinja

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ettin in the Playground

Alys smiles as she looks around, before blinking as she realizes just who is at the table she was directed to. I can't believe it... I thought I was lucky just to get the invite to come back this year, but now I'm actually going to get to meet the princess, and even dine with her! Seeing the conversation between the princess and one of the competitors, she makes her way over, somewhat nervous. Oh... what do I say, what do I say? she thinks to herself as she moves over to the table, and decides to introduce herself - hopefully without making a fool of herself in the process. "Um... hello, your highness... I'm Alys Baldwin - the runner-up from last year's tournament? It's truly an honor to meet you..." She curtsies, then turns towards Zoe and says, "And it's nice to meet you as well - I saw your match. It was quite impressive..."
    Zio Avatar by acelegna

Spoiler: Currently Running
    Show
    None ATM

Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    None ATM

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

Ma'am, your menu. Kline gave, with his best haughty accent. He gave a small smile, waiters were friendly and approachable. As he placed the appetizer tray and the menu in front of the women, have gave a curt bow, before turning on his heels. He scanned the room for his real prey. He wasn't sure what he'd do, if anything at all. But he had to meet her, at least once.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

Catherine raised an eyebrow. No waiter would have those kinds of hands normally. Before he left, she would ask about those hands "You aren't normally a waiter, are you? Those hands say otherwise."
    Last edited by MichaelGoldclaw; 2014-09-02 at 07:28 PM.
    "Do all the good you can, in all the ways you can, to all the souls you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, with all the zeal you can, as so long as you ever can" -John Wesley
    Deviant Art account
    Fairy Tail OC avatar by: your truly

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

Kline froze for only a moment, his face betraying him if he didn't have his back turned already. He turned slowly, wearing an innocent, slightly amused smile. Of course not Ma'am. Food is my world. You'd be surprised how damaging food preparation is to the hands! He waved dismissively.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

"That's an extreme leap of logic. I wanted to win, so I did. I wanted to put a sleazy guy in his place after he harassed me, so I did. It wasn't because I was spoiled, it wasn't because I saw my station as superior to his, even if it is." Zoe grits her teeth. She will not control you.

"And let's focus on one of those in particular: Spoiled? I'm not the one musing about 'Hm, maybe I could abuse my power as a superior to harass one of the contestants for my own amusement.' That would be spoiled. I was invited as a contestant for the match. I will do what is in my power to win. If someone bests me, then I will take my loss with dignity. What I will not do is bend to the will of someone else who sees me as nothing more than a plaything.

Hypothetically, of course, if you were to ask."
    Her irises shone with a faint white glow. She was eager for an excuse to lash out at this girl. There was a witness now - if the other girl struck first, she would have more than her own word.

Looking at the new arrival, she gives a smile, adopting a more ladylike posture at once. "Thank you. Your own last year was rather impressive as well. Right down to the last move." Much better than before. Alys's arrival was just what she needed to calm down.
    Last edited by Esprit15; 2014-09-02 at 07:33 PM.

Show

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

Catherine seemed a bit unconvinced. Why would he lie? Considering the circumstances, it is likely he is a bodyguard. "I doubt it is that damaging to your hands. Look at mine." She raises her hands. A bit less damaged, considering she wears gloves, but the damage was there. "I wear gloves, but still. I doubt you got that from just cooking."
    Last edited by MichaelGoldclaw; 2014-09-02 at 07:25 PM.
    "Do all the good you can, in all the ways you can, to all the souls you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, with all the zeal you can, as so long as you ever can" -John Wesley
    Deviant Art account

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

A hint of agitation crept on Kline's face. You have obviously never touched a scorching pot, Ma'am. It leaves a nasty burn. He slipped a touch of sinister malice on the last word. Now, if you excuse me. I must return to work. Kline hastily retreated before the conversation could continue. Even if this was a cover, he still needed to look like he was working.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

The "waiter" seemed more and more suspicious, but he was either an spy, assassin or a bodyguard. The former two meaning she should keep her mouth shut because she might get into trouble and the latter meaning she should shut her mouth because she'd blow his cover. So she just told him what she wanted and let him go about his business. She just wished he just said he fights in his spare time, so when he got some, she could test her skills against either an assassin, spy, or bodyguard, whichever he is.
    Deviant Art account

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

Sayuri

"Duckduckduck! Psypsy!" Willow chatters, as she's hoisted into the air.

"Well, I hope you're enjoyin' it. You like birds, your highness?" Sayuri adds after a moment, as Teddy gives the princess a truly betrayed look. "And Ali ain't bad, she's just... she likes a good fight," she scratches the back of her head a moment, and then twitches the leek out of grabbing range as Ali makes a determined leap for it. "And I am sorry it took so long to say; but it's a pleasure meetin' you, both of you. I've admired your work for years, Professor, and everyone's heard of your exploits, your highness,"

14. - Top - End - #254
    Troll in the Playground

At the Princess Table

Alys arrives at the table and can practically see the sparks flying between these two as they stare each other down. 'A twig that does not bend snaps all the more easily. No one here is above the rules. Not yourself, and certainly not I. You will soon find out there is precious little time for these silly little game you presume I am playing with you. Or more likely, you won't.'

Elizabeth turns to look at the newcomer. 'Ah, so I hear you are the one who has adopted the title of "Fairy Princess"? It is clearly not an inherited title, so tell me, did you claim that moniker by force, like my ancient ancestors did? To bear the name of royalty is to paint a target around your neck.' She gives Alys a look over. 'I would avoid using that name in public too much. My eldest sister might take it as a challenge and wish to fight "Princess-O-Princess" with you. I would rather she not, you'll have an opponent soon enough.'

Sayuri

'Hopefully not all of 'em, if ya know what I mean!' She elbows Sayuri in the ribs, a bit rougher than Sayuri would have liked. 'Yeah, birds are cool. I got a Braivery and a Blaziken myself.'

'Each of the 3 sisters was trained by one of the 3 former champions. Minnie here was trained by none other than Brendan, who mainly taught her how to battle. He was the one who gave her her first Torchic.'

'Unfortunately, it doesn't run in the family. While Steven and Wallace taught Elizabeth and Annabell, neither of them is really any good at battling, having preferred to learn other stuff. What about you Sayuri? I learned to battle off Brendan, and Max here obviously took a page out of his daddy's book when it came to studying pokemon. Why'd you get involved in journalism, and who taught you?'

Kline

Upon escaping and getting a chance to look about the room, Kline thinks he can spot the girl he's looking for, up at the back. Unfortunately, she was chatting away with the Princess and another girl.

Catherine

Catherine watches the strange man leave, seeming to disappear into the crowd. As she was waiting for her food to arrive, Tina comes over to talk to her.

'Catherine! Teeny Tina just found out that Noctis got attacked by an owl in the garden maze, and Tiffany fainted after talking to Steven. Both of them are laid up in the medical tent. As far as Teeny Tina can tell, that makes you and Zoe the only two left to fight tomorrow.'

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ettin in the Playground

"Thank you," Alys replies to Zoe's compliment, hoping not to get involved in whatever issue is between the two. When Princess Elizabeth's attention turns to her and comments on her moniker, she blushes and replies, "Oh! It's really just a nickname some of my friends started using for me, because of my specialization. It kinda stuck with me as something to give the contest announcers for when they introduce me, just for a bit of extra flair - and I guess I just carried it over for tournaments as well." At the thought of actually battling Princess Maxine, she pales for a moment, and continues, "Um... do you really think your sister might fight me over a nickname like that? Or... wait, what do you mean I'm going to have an opponent soon?"
    Zio Avatar by acelegna

Show
    None ATM

Show
    None ATM

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

Kline frowned inwardly. It be difficult to get to her near the princess. He'd either have to wait for her to depart or catch her at a later point. He turned towards the kitchen, entering the girl's order. He then tried to weasel his way into getting anything headed towards the Princess' table.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

Catherine's eyes opened wide. "Zoe, huh. I talked to her. She is a nice girl. I hope we have a good battle tomorrow, but I feel sad for the others." She then looks at her pokeballs "Well, they'll carry me through. I believe in them. Zoe won't stand a chance."
    Last edited by MichaelGoldclaw; 2014-09-03 at 08:43 PM.
    Deviant Art account

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

Stay the Void out of my mind! Zoe mentally yells, recognizing the words being pulled from her head. "Don't let her goad you, Alys. She's been doing the same to me. Evidently someone got bored of tormenting the help and decided that the contestants would be more entertaining." She didn't dare read the girl's mind, though it was tempting. Still, if someone knew she had read Jeff's mind, they would certainly spring on her for reading her host's. "I've humored you and answered your questions. If that will be all, then goodnight." Zoe stands and heads out of the room.

Show

19. - Top - End - #259
    Troll in the Playground

Kline

When Kline asks one of the chefs for an order headed for the Princess, he laughs at him. 'Hah, yeah, right. You temp staff were hired to serve the contestants and the press. You leave the Princesses and the VIPs to the professionals kid.' He pauses. 'Well, there is "that". If you really want to meet her, you can bring her the food for her pet. If you're brave enough that is.' He gives Kline an "I-just-dare -you-to" look.

Princess Table

Princess Elizabeth rubs her head, apparently receiving a headache from Zoe's psychic yelling. 'You should go calm yourself, before your little boyfriend sees you like this. Oh, and you my wish to check the newspaper in your room. I think you'll find the business section most interesting reading. Now leave.' The sudden harshness in her voice and her body language gave Zoe a clear indication that this conversation was indeed over.

Elizabeth now turned her attention to Alys, giving her smile that didn't quite seem to fit her demeanour. 'Oh, Maxine is looking for any excuse to fight one of the contestants, she's just bored and a bit restless right now. Something small like your title would be more than enough reason to ask to battle you.' Elizabeth snaps her fingers, and soon a pot of tea is brought over, which she pours herself one and another for Alys, not even asking if she would like one or how she took it.

'Traditionally, the winner of the current tournament fights the winner of last years tournament. If the new champion wins, it supposedly symbolises a time of change and renewal for the next year. If the old one wins, it's a year for stability. Of course, we will compensate you for the time and effort you will be giving us.'

Catherine

Tina looks a little worried. 'Teeny Tina isn't too sure. Isn't Zoe a psychic type? And if you're a fighting type, that means she'll have an advantage over you if you're not careful.' Tine hides behind Catherine's chair and peeks across the hall at Zoe as she glares at Elizabeth. 'Plus she seems really mean. I don't want a mean person like her to win.'

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

Zoe leaves, slamming the door.

Deep breaths. Calm yourself. If you stay angry, she's won. Remember what the school taught you: always retain control. No matter what happens, you are in control of your own mind, not anybody else. Do not leave yourself open to manipulation, supernatural or otherwise.

Zoe goes to her room and adopts a martial arts pose for a moment, stretching every muscle, letting the energy flow through her arms and legs, out through her fingers and feet. Better. Her heart rate was lower and her face was already less flushed than downstairs.

What was that about the paper? Zoe looks to her bed, flipping the pages of the newspaper as she picks it up to the business section.

Show

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ettin in the Playground

"Oh... of course." Alys nods, before taking a sip of the tea the princess poured for her. It could use a bit of sugar, but overall it's certainly not bad. "Mmm... but I remember now, that final match from last year. I just didn't think about it because... well, I didn't technically win last year, did I? I'm here because that guy from last year was brought up for doping his Pokemon..." She sighs, and continues, "I never understood why someone would do a thing like that. So, I'll be up against the finalist here, then... maybe that girl you were just speaking with?" Thinking about Zoe for a moment, Alys shrugs, before hesitantly commenting, "Though, you said your sister is just looking for an excuse to have a battle... if she just wants a friendly match, I suppose it wouldn't really hurt - it might be an interesting experience to battle against her."
    Zio Avatar by acelegna

Show
    None ATM

Show
    None ATM

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

Catherine shook her head "One, Striker is a Fighting/STEEL. Thus Psychic's advantage is nullified. Two, I talked to her, she isn't mean."
    Deviant Art account

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

Kline nodded stiffly. Alright. I'll do it. Where is it? Kline was determined. Nothing would get in his way.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

Sayuri

Laughing, Sayuri rubs the back of her head a little awkwardly at the attention. And makes a surreptitious shuffle away from the too-strong princess.

"Me? Well, it's not a terribly excitin' story. Grew up on a ranch, got interested in photography and kinda decided that I didn't want to stare at tauros for the rest of my life. Sent off some samples of my pictures to a magazine, got an interview and things sorta took off from there. Turns out a photographers pay ain't all that great - 'specially when you specialize in wildlife rather than battlin' - so I sort of started writing some little pieces on the side to help make ends meet," she grins awkwardly for a moment, before continuing. "Somehow, I ended up doing more writing than shooting, so after a bit of a disagreement over my pay with the boss, I struck out on my own for a bit. Got a press badge for the tournament in lieu of a month or two's pay, so's I could drum some work,"

Sayuri hesitates a moment.

"Probably shouldn't've said that last bit, really, but... ah well. Also got a grimer, for some reason. Kinda wishin' I hadn't, actually," she pauses again. "...and my pay-free exit might've been in part inspired by the time I sprayed my boss with an Attract potion as he was headin' to a pidgey-filled park. So, um," she goes on, a trifle awkwardly. "I'd ask how you got into princessin', but it seems like kind of a silly question. Don't think I've ever seen a Braviary before, though - they're not from around here, right?"

25. - Top - End - #265
    Troll in the Playground

Zoe

Upon reaching her room, Zoe notices a newspaper lying on the bedsheets. Upon picking it up and opening it, a small letter envelope falls out to the floor. But that can wait later, as Zoe's attention is drawn to the headline on the Business section.

Plans For Team Rocket Aquisition Of Moranai Company Is In Final Stages
    Will the Lillycove Dept. Store be heading into Rocket hands as they now hold 37% of shares in the Maranai company?

Kline

'Hehe, it's under the table.' The cook points to a large plate, full of offal and left-over parts from the banquet. Organs and tendons and eyeballs, all the horrible hits that no one in their right mind would want to eat. The whole plate stank, even from where Kline was standing. He could swear it looked like it was still breathing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Constitution check to carry the horrible plate.

Alys

'I can't advise that. Not only does my sister have strong pokemon, but she likes to get involved in the battles personally. I'd rather not have you injured.' The princess picks up a teabag, and begins to shred it, pouring it's contents onto a saucer, making a little mountain of tea leaves..

'Although if you still wish to fight her, I won't stop you.'

Catherine

Tina looks around cautiously. 'But one of the guards told Teeny Tina that Zoe is selling her company to Team Rocket, and they are bad people, right?' She whispers, as if afraid Zoe is listening in on her. 'Still, even if she's not a bad guy, I'd rather you beat her. But only cos Tiffany isn't fighting, of course.'

Sayuri

The Princess and the Professor both laugh at the Pidgey story. 'Yeah, I kinda got stuck with the whole Princess deal. But as for my bird, well sometimes the various royal families give gifts to one another. I got my Rufflet from the Unovan royal family, and everyone knows how close my sister is with them. He's evolved now, but he's still a bit of a runt. Most can carry a car and fly, while he can barely carry me in my armour. Wouldn't trade him for the world though'

Birch laughs. 'Sometimes pokemon we get stuck with grow on us more than those we think we want. Give your Grimer a chance. They are quite the battlers, and I remember Professor Oak had one which was very fond of him.'

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

OH gods! Kline gasps for fresh air before cautiously reaching for the plate of miscellaneous meat.

Spoiler
    Show
    curse balanced dump stats... (1d20-1)[10]
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

Internally, Zoe fumes. Who was making deals on the side!? Her family should still hold the majority of the company. "Well," she says, a sword of telekinetic energy forming in her hand, "I guess someone is getting fired." She flings the energy across the room, stopping just before it hits the wall. A focussing technique from school, to prevent full on kinetic outbursts. Focus the energy into one thing, rather than let it run wild. A flower, a sword, anything that to you keeps focus on not throwing everything in the room.

She takes out her phone to make a call, at the same time picking up the letter. The current head of the company until she comes of age, specifically. She'd be his official superior in only a few years, and hopefully he would remember that when speaking to her.

Show

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ettin in the Playground

"Right..." Alys says, suddenly more nervous as her gaze turns towards the eldest princess in the room. "Yeah... I'm not much of a fighter myself, so that's probably a good idea... thank you for your concern, your highness..."
    Zio Avatar by acelegna

Show
    None ATM

Show
    None ATM

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

Catherine shakes her head. "No, I don't believe that. She seems to nice to do something like that. Where's your proof?"
    Last edited by MichaelGoldclaw; 2014-09-08 at 06:21 AM.
    Deviant Art account

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

Sayuri

She smiles faintly, and reaches down to stroke the back of Willow's head. While she's talking, Ali takes the opportunity to tug the leek back from Sayuri's camera bag.

"Oh, don't get me wrong - the lug's loveable enough, it's just the smell. And the damage to the carpets... and the floor, for that matter. If I want to keep him, then I need to move out of my apartment and find somewhere with a decent garden. I mean, all grimer smell - but him? It's somethin' special. He's just not somethin' I can live in a confined space with. But I know what you're sayin', I never quite intended to pick these two up, but I don't regret it," she adds, gesturing to the farfetch'd and the psyduck with an affectionate smile.

Ali, with expert timing, chooses that moment to enact her revenge - giving Sayuri a sharp smack in the back of the leg with her newly liberated leek. Syauri lets out a yelp and rubs the bruise, shooting Ali a reproachful look.

"Well, most of the time, anyway. Still, I don't think size don't matters too much - the bigger they are, the more space they need and the more they eat. That, and it's hard to take them places if they just break everythin',"