New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground
    Default Mapping out dungeons:

How does everyone do it? I mean, what stuff do you use to represent walls, and doors, and staircases and such?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Mapping out dungeons:

I don't. I hate it. It's SO much work, especially when you have non-rectangular rooms. "Five feet to the south, ten feet to the east, then ten feet south-east, then another five feet south, then . . ."

I just do sketchmaps as a player, and as a DM I'll hand out a map when it's really important for the players to know the geography.

- Saph

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

I let the players map based on my descriptions alone, but I use words like "roughly" and "roundish" instead of giving exact details. The map's not important unless I say it is to them.
    Gallery 1Gallery 2Gallery 3Make Avatars With MS Paint
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Simius for the Xill Bard, Abardam for the Gray Rendar, Sampi for the Memphit, Rex for the Aristocrat and Onasuma for the Bearded Devil!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

I usually find a pre-existing map. Between old modules that you can pick up for pennies on the dollar and free stuff around the net (like at the Dunjinni forums). you can find pretty near anything. Dunjinni isn't bad itself if you want to make things yourself.
    Proud Supporter of Cleric Rights

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

But doesn't that make combat difficult? That's the main problem I'm running into with my group (I'm the DM). I've tried using maps just drawn from a predrawn model onto a sheet of paper that the player's pieces are on, but that makes everything so muddled.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Re: combat, the group I'm playing in now uses a battle mat with eraseable markers. When it's important to know the combat positions, the DM draws the room and we place our figures. Works well and it's much faster than having the players try and draw it on DM descriptions.

- Saph

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

You can still use a blank grid to combat on when you need to. Inside a dungeon crawl my group and I usually use a map, else just a blank grid to keep track of movement and stuff.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

I use a rough map based on what the DM describes, just to remember where I've been in the dungeon. However, we don't use a map grid when we play, so muddled maps aren't an issue.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    a battle mat with eraseable markers.
    That is a great idea. I'm going to try to find one of those now.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

If I ever get a bit of spare cash together, I might spend some on those Dungeon Tile things I keep seeing. Currently, and when such things become important, I use my own cardboard versions drawn on the back of cereal packets!
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Mapping becomes difficult in the evil campaign I play in. A demo-expert planting blast disks everywhere tends to cause a lot of damage. Maps have basically become non existant in these games, as it become a nighmare re-draw them in-game due to my destroying walls/ceilings/floors and the like

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Measurement works fine. 1"=5'. That way you can draw in eraseable markers freehand and still get exact distances when you need.

JaronK

13. - Top - End - #13
    Halfling in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

I work at EB Games, so I get to scam stuff that's getting field destroyed when its not saleable anymore. Best thing I ever snagged?

Everquest II Atlas. Map upon map upon map of cities, dungeons, coves, caves, crypts, towers...wonderful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade_Tarem View Post
    "Haha!" they said, "Let the wizards have their cheesy combos and smoldering staves, we have sparkly crystal swords! In fact, we have razor-sharp spiny crystal everything! Swords, wands, alternate personalities, mirrors, furniture, clothing, toilet paper..."

Brutal desert fey - Sylenti

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

one option, laminate the battle mat you get in the back of the DMG. its not super transportable but once its laminated you can draw over is with no troubles and its a reasonably large space to work with.

when i plan my dungons i draw them down on a book of grid paper with wall length written down, so when i begin revealing the map on the battle grid i only have to count out the wall on the grid and draw it in.

15. - Top - End - #15

the biggest problem i have is that fights tend to take up a huge area, especially as my players tend to want to kill anything that attacks them, not letting enemies flee.
    and as i have 2 scouts and a monk i have a high movement group to play with, i cannot just keep area's small cause if players run in opposite directions i suddenly have a huge area to keep track on!
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    if this thread is a 4e thread then play 3.5
    if this thread is a 3.5 thread then play 4e

devils advocacy by signature

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by its_all_ogre View Post
    the biggest problem i have is that fights tend to take up a huge area, especially as my players tend to want to kill anything that attacks them, not letting enemies flee.
    and as i have 2 scouts and a monk i have a high movement group to play with, i cannot just keep area's small cause if players run in opposite directions i suddenly have a huge area to keep track on!
    Some of the Dunjinni posts contain modular passageways, such as sewers that you can lay down either in sequence or as a certain point when a chase turns into a combat or vice versa. A smaller overall map in combinition with a series of encounter scaled maps works pretty well (use little chits on the overall map and your minis or whatever on the modular passageways).

I've played D20 modern games where chase rules came up and you essentially stayed on the same map segmant with relative position changes noted rather than moving across the map, but I don't recall anyone using a specific chase rule kind of thing in 3.x DND games I've played in (there are a couple things in DMG2 about chases, but nothing special).
    Last edited by clericwithnogod; 2007-02-10 at 03:06 PM.
    Proud Supporter of Cleric Rights

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    That is a great idea. I'm going to try to find one of those now.
    Paizo.com have a bunch. I like the Steel Sqwire battle mats, they let dry-wipe markers erase really well.

Of course, you can get by with using self-adhesive laminate on the back of an old Monoploy board, but it doesn't look as neat.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jarlax View Post
    one option, laminate the battle mat you get in the back of the DMG.
    also, my concern with that method is the invariable folding-up and it becoming a mess. I still use it!
    Hail to the grand poobah of the internet!
    Spoiler
    Show

Xerillum

Quote Originally Posted by NecroPaladin View Post
    ((On the plus side, a crapamancer makes his own material components.))

19. - Top - End - #19

I went to costco and bought a magnetic whiteboard with a 1" grid (not lines, just dots.) I removed the border and backing and glued just the whiteboard surface to my gaming table (an adjustable height folding table, also from Costco.) It works really, really well.

Whenever we enter a room, I sketch out the geometry on the table, including (sometimes) where there are large obstacles and such. My players move their miniatures around on the grid, and we all take notes in our own corners of the board. Initiative, spells in effect, barbarian's stats during rage, you name it, if it's relevant to combat it ends up written somewhere on the board.

The custom gaming table does not work so well if you're not playing D&D at your own house... but it works OK to just take a whiteboard or a gaming mat.