New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: A Journey through the Witherlands

Dagur cuts his banter abruptly short, tugging Nita into his lap and staring down the wolf across the packing yard. The orc bares his teeth at the animal in a snarl while protectively hovering over the bear cub.

"Don't go playin' with your teeth on 'em, Nita," he growls, giving his young fluffy companion a stern warning.
    Last edited by MooseBite; 2014-09-12 at 02:42 PM.
    #thac0lyfe

Credit to Ceika for the 'Canadian Pride Alistar' avatar.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Barbarian in the Playground

Knife turns and looks at the rest of the group of people. "Hello?" He says in Olcar, waits a moment, and then says "Hello?" again, in Kerran.
    Much thanks to Wayril for the awesome avatar!

Exotic Weapon PrC Contest

My one homebrew, perpetually incomplete

"The pro of using fire is that your enemies are burning to death - the con is that now you have to face flaming enemies."

3. - Top - End - #213
    Bugbear in the Playground

Knife's queries are met with a few tilted heads and a bunch of blank stares. A few people respond to him in short phrases, with mannerisms that imply that they're asking if he speaks Ansin or Karsi. He's traveled far from home, and finding people to relate to will be more challenging than he realizes. One foreigner, wearing the typical Horvan traveller's garb, answers him in Olcar, and advises him to keep the Kerran to himself. He's very busy, and doesn't take the time to linger, choosing instead to help Knife, Angharad, and the others load their gear onto another wagon.
    When everyone's supplies are loaded and the travellers are ready to embark, one of the Thoran scouts confers with the wagon-masters and arranges a travelling order. The Devotion of Steel will go first, followed by the Winds, thus putting the two most experienced wandering factions in the lead. After them will follow the groups deemed more defenseless or less able to protect against attacks: the Devotions of Iron, Quills, Bone, and Soil. These four groups, however, are so poorly represented that their entire sum remains less than the number of Steel that are included in the caravan. In the rear will come the foreigners and undevoted, supposedly because they seem more suited to defense than most other groups, and having a suitable military force in the rear should help protect against ambushes.
    With the travelling order sorted, the caravan gets underway. There are several travelling wagons, as material is more easily parted from than animals to ride, but there are still a great number of people walking. The smaller races are encouraged to remain seated, so as not to fall behind, while the other travellers will take turns riding and hiking.

Several members of the Devotion of Steel man the levers that raise and lower the massive doors' barricade, and several more operate the chain pulleys that cause the towering oak and metal doors to swing inward. Noxious air immediately flows in, thick with odor and dust. Most cough once or twice, shocked by the transition from the damp clean air of the city to the desiccating vapors of the surface. Several travelers begin to second guess their decisions, nervous about being exposed to the oft-underestimated toxin.
    The taskmasters are unfazed and prepared, and order the caravan forward. The Thorans behind light purifying fires, scented with spices and moss in an effort to abate the foreign poison. The animals buck and growl, but are prompted forward successfully, and the caravan begins its journey. Slowly, the convoy moves through the doors and into the cavern beyond, morning's light shining beyond. For many Thorans, this is their first time seeing sunlight in many months or even years, and a good portion of them stare slack-jawed in awe. The rangers, however, proceed as though nothing had changed, as do most of the foreigners behind.

In an hour, the whole convoy is on the surface, making its way across the rocky path through the Thoran mountains. There is something naturally liberating about the openness and the sight of the luminous violet sky above, with the pinkish sun glowing on the horizon. Legends say that before the withering, the sky was blue, rather than the dark violet that you see above. Whether it's truth or merely a translation error from the documents in Oldtongue, no one can say.
    At least, unless you believe some of the wilder legends. Stories abound in every colony about heroes from the Age of Myths who survived the Withering and became demigods in the process. The Blood King, the Sky Child, and the Knight of Moons, to name a few. The origins of these legends are unclear, but everyone knows they're just children's stories; myths told to younglings in the same vein as dragons, blue skies, and green grass.

The morning passes slowly, and it does not take long for members of each group to begin wandering back and forth within the caravan. Rangers from the day before reported clear travel for half a day's journey in this direction, so even the guards are feeling a little lax. The Devotion of Steel stays together, marching in the official phalanx pattern preferred by their Masters, though everyone else quickly devolves into a mis-matched mass of Devotions, foreigners, and mule-drawn wagons.

Amidst this mass, you could associate with anyone or seek out a new or familiar face. What do you do?
    My Homebrew and Extended Signature
    Current avatar: Charza Sahlaren, by gr8artist

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Therros

The boggart was busy watching the groups load their belongings onto the wagons when the odd elf greeted the group in two different languages. Therros spoke both of them, but he waited to see what the others would think ... the responses were as expected, and he grinned to himself at the reception. Instead of staying around to get pulled into work, the boggart continued to move around, always avoiding the loading of stuff - he was taking care of his own gear, right?

When the caravan finally headed outside, he watched the majority of softies groan and cry at the miasma. He snorted, having lived through the fumes more than once. Best to just take a deep breath and get it over with ... at least it would thin the herd a bit to those who would be useful. A few moments later, he shook his head, knowing full well it wasn't these people's fault they hadn't been outside. It was scary for those who lived closed in their whole lives ... and who knew who they might need before this was all said and done.

Later in the afternoon, Therros took advantage of the relaxation of boundaries and wandered over to speak with Elwerin. He had a couple of questions, most notably being who the elf lass was. Once he found him, he asked in Karsi,
    Spoiler: Karsi
    Show
    "Who's the leg ya nodded at? She was down in the pit ... took care of herself pretty good. Also got an eye on her."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After chatting up El, Therros would eventually run into the elf who asked for help earlier, sighing as he approached. Tapping the man on the leg, he'd whisper in Olcar,
    Spoiler: Olcar
    Show
    "Here now, did you get whatever help ya needed? Cuz as ya can tell, most of these stiffs don't snark yer lingo."
    Last edited by Starbin; 2014-09-15 at 11:00 PM.
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

5. - Top - End - #215

As soon as the caravan broaches the surface, Angharad starts asking around for the leader of the ranger corps. She rambles up to him with Coli by her side and waits for his attention to be free to address her.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Troll in the Playground

Audriel maintains watchfulness over her work, continuing to guide the wagon runner with her help. She watches all the folks around, trying to pay extra attention to whoever seems to be more affected and less affected by the miasma. She makes a mental record of those who seem to react on any extreme end to it in case the information might be helpful later. Other than that, she just enjoys the relative calm of the trip, knowing full well that it might end at any moment.

7. - Top - End - #217

Knife turns to the boggart and replies in Olcan.
    Spoiler: Olcan
    Show
    "I was just trying to see who I would actually be able to speak to on this journey. And once fighting starts, who I will be able to understand. It looks like there are only three or so people who speak my language, and one's the interpreter. He said he might be able to teach me a new language though, do you have anything you would recommend?

"The pro of using fire is that your enemies are burning to death - the con is that now you have to face flaming enemies."

8. - Top - End - #218
    Pixie in the Playground

Once the caravan gets rolling Dagur hops down from his perch with Nita following at his ankles.

"Thinkin' I'll be gettin' some stretchin' in," he grumbles to Brellena,"Bein' underground for so long ain't no way to live."

He takes his time to wander about the wagons, stopping for conversation here and there, and trying to keep an eye on his animal companion so she doesn't get into too much trouble.

"Keep an eye on that pooch of yours," he remarks tersely in passing to Angharad.
    #thac0lyfe

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Therros

The boggart eyed the elf for a moment, recognizing his accent. Sighing, he pulled him aside.
    Show
    "Well, yer best keeping outta the way. But if'n yer stayin' back with us forners, then you should be fine. Not a lot of orders back here, I'm guessin'. If ya got someone ta teach ya, then do it. At least a few words ... like 'fight' and 'run' and 'help.' I 'spose if I see ya flailin' I'll let ya know when way the wind's blowin'. Mebbe you kin tell me where ya got that accent ..."

10. - Top - End - #220

Therros and Elwerin have a short conversation, before Therros moves away to find the foreigner who'd needed help earlier. As they strike up a casual conversation, Angharad seeks out an audience with the lead ranger on the expedition, her former acquaintance Z'hel Fraust. He is busy keeping several of the new rangers in check, and suggests that they find time to talk when the caravan makes camp. Audriel, meanwhile, rests comfortably in the wagon, occasionally checking up on her experiments. No one shows any signs of illness this early in the day, other than the general nausea at the abrupt exposure. The rangers quickly inform everyone that the feeling will pass quickly, and they will get used to it by the end of the day. Dagur catches Angharad near the middle of the caravan, and begins an off-hand conversation with her.

11. - Top - End - #221

Angharad is disappointed Z'hel Fraust will not even consider her assistance with scouting for the caravan because he is too busy. Somewhat forlornly, she she drifts back toward the center of the caravan.

The orc with the bear growls at her and she stops. "Do you really think I would bring him along if I could not trust him wherever I go?"

12. - Top - End - #222
    Pixie in the Playground

Dagur scoffs dryly, expelling air through his prominent tusks. He stops, too, to turn and face the elf. A hardy creature, he's visibly less affected by the miasma than some might be.

"I known people to do stupider," he replies with all the social grace of a dire porcupine,"I seen him eye-ballin' Nita here. You keep him in check, we won't have no problems."
    #thac0lyfe

13. - Top - End - #223

Angharad raises her eyebrows at his backhanded insult. "Stupid!", She exclaims, I didn't bring a bear cub along! What makes you think that bear won't go wild in the hubbub of the caravan? At least wolves, dogs and demihumans have a history of cooperation. Bears don't socialize well with demihumans, usually."

14. - Top - End - #224

Show
    "Seryn. I'd be honored to have your help and your friendship."

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Therros

At the elf's comments, the boggart barked out a laugh and almost sneered, before he paused then shook his head in genuine surprise.

Show
    "Friend? Nah, let's just call it an 'agreement.' Leave friendship fer them's that believes in the power o' hugs and such. I believe in this," waving at the nasty miasma that filled the sky, "and this ain't about friends ... it's about survival."

Shaking his head, chuckling, Therros wandered off to find something to do ...

16. - Top - End - #226
    Pixie in the Playground

"Bears n' my kin've been gettin' along just fine together for years," Dagur retorts, snapping,"Don't know what you knife-ears have been doin' with 'em if they ain't been good to yours."

Nita, cowering behind the sturdy orc's robes, shows no desire to be violent with either the elf or the wolf.
    #thac0lyfe

17. - Top - End - #227

Shaking her head, Angharad replies exasperated, "I've had no problems with wolves or bears. Yet earlier you implied that I would and I needed to keep mine under control. Then you justify your unfounded assumption with the fact that you can get along with them assuming I could not. How arrogant of you."

While the two demi humans argue about nothing, Coli sniffs around for a spot to lay down.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Pixie in the Playground

"Arrogant? -Arrogant-?", Dagur huffs.

"High and mighty talk comin' from ya' there, pip-squeak. Ain' say I'm surprised. I know what -I- can do. I can keep my lil' Nita here under control. You? I ain' know you, I ain' know nothin' 'bout you. So like I said- keep an eye on your lil' pal there? And we'll be jes' fine. Otherwise, the pup might have t'find a new pack to run with."
    #thac0lyfe

19. - Top - End - #229

Angharad can't help but laugh, "The idea of you replacing Coli's loyalty to me is preposterous. I ran with his pack his entire life. When it was time for him to try to found a pack of his own, he chose to travel with me. No amount of ham-fisted 'training' you might offer will ever come between he and I."

With that, Angharad turns and walks away. Coli watches her for several steps before getting and trotting behind.
    Last edited by galenbd; 2014-10-08 at 06:39 AM.

20. - Top - End - #230

The rest of the day passes without much cause for complaint. As the rangers get farther from the gates of Thoros, they seem to behave a little differently. Many of them become reserved and serious, while others loosen up and break ranks with the rest of the caravan. Everyone marches together, though periodically a few are placed onto wagons for medical treatment. Most have their symptoms muted by herbs and tinctures, and rejoin the others on foot. One, however, gets progressively worse and worse as they travel. He's a young orc, skin still pale from youth and his tusks barely formed. The animals seem to be enduring more easily, though a few of them seem weak for the first half of the day.
    The road lays nestled in Thoros' stony mountain range, with cliffs and valleys to either side. As the sun's light fades on the horizon, the foremost rangers report a suitable campsite ahead. It's a cave in the side of one of the larger mountains, and is a location often used by various caravans. They also report no sign of hostile activity, but also a lack of game in the area. As the caravan draws up, you see the gaping maw of stone and part of you feels an ominous dread in its presence. The campers disperse, cramped together as they try to pitch tents and start some small fires.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Therros

Therros found a spot to cozy up, prefering to either sit with El. He seemed the only one that wasn't a complete arse ... and for some unknown reason, the boggart trusted him. At least more than he trusted anyone else right now.