New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Survival Horror (Ended Early, leave comments players!)

Hi everyone,

Playing in some of the different games (like Werewolf) inspired me to make a game along those lines. If you are familiar with Resident Evil, this game will probably make sense to you. Once I see how many people are interested in playing, you'll be grouped up. Each group will contain 1 of each profession (each team will be composed of a marksman, expert, and scout). Each player has only 1 profession (They will be listed below), and each group starts at a pre-selected spot on a map. Each team will get to take an action each round. The map will consist of a variety of types of rooms. Rooms will contain either (1) nothing, (2) a monster, (3) an object.

Actions:
    Move - Select a direction, move that way.
    Rest - You don't move, but Scouts can use their scout ability to look into adjacent rooms & Experts can unlock locked containers in their room.

Professions:
    Marksman - This player starts with a gun, and is used to kill monsters that they encounter. The gun contains 6 shots.
    Expert - This player is able to take their team through locked doors & can open locked containers during a rest action.
    Scout - This player can look into surrounding rooms during a rest action. This will reveal monsters and objects but not the number of doors or if any of the doors are locked.

Monsters:
    Zombie - Typical undead that wants to eat you. Takes 2 shots to kill.
    Zombie Dog - Not man's best friend. Takes 3 shots to kill.
    Hunter - Bio-genetically engineered creature. Takes 4 shots to kill.

Objects:
    Radio - every member of every team has one of these. They allow you to talk to other teams. You can use them to safely guide other teams through areas you have already been, or try to trick them to move in a direction you hope they do.
    First Aid Kit - Useable (1) time, heals target during a rest action.
    Ammunition Clip - 6 bullets.

Special Objects:
    Magnum - With this gun all enemies are killed with 1 fewer shots.

Deaths:
    If the marksmen dies, one of the other teammates can take his gun. Anyone that is not a marksmen using the gun will have to use an extra shot to kill an enemy (f/e: Zombies take 2 shots to kill for a marksman, 3 shots to kill for anyone else).
    If the expert dies, you'll be unable to move through locked doors or open locked containers.
    If the scout dies, hope you guess the right way to move.

Regardless of who dies, the turn after their death they become a Zombie in that room.

Rules:
    If you enter a room and you know that there is a monster there (from having scouted the turn before), you can choose to kill it (assuming you have enough shots left) or pass it.
    If you enter a room and that you have not scouted and a monster is there, it randomly injures 1 person on your team. (each person will be numbered 1-3, we'll use the die roller to determine who is injured). An injured person dies if they are attacked again. After the monster has injured one of you, you can choose to kill it (assuming you have enough shots left) or pass it.
    Monsters DO NOT MOVE. I.E. if you pass through a room with a monster, it will not follow you. It will be there again if you come back through (unless another team encountered it).

Strategy:
    You could scout every round to make traveling safer, but this means you can only move once every other round.
    You could move everyone round to make traveling faster, but this means you're likely to get injured.

If two teams run into each other they can choose to either bypass one another or move with one another (you're not evil people that would kill each other).

When the teams are first formed you'll be given your starting location. F/E: Team A you start in room #6. This room has doors to the north and east. The room numbers are completely randomized and have no other meaning than helping me to track where each party is.

The game works in rounds. Each round will end @ 9 PM EST. One member of your team must PM me with your team name and action for that round. I'll then give you the results by 12 PM EST the following day. If I do not receive your team's action by 9 PM EST it will be treated as a non-action. Please make sure only 1 person from your team PMs me your action otherwise it will be treated as a non-action. A non-action means your team does not move, and does not rest. If your team has 3 consecutive non-actions, your team will be eliminated from the game.

The teams are encouraged to talk to one another (by posting in this thread). You can try to guide a different team to safety (or death). Or you can just brag when your team finds the magnum .

All deaths will be announced (blood curdling screams and all), and if one team uses any shots within a 2-room range of another team, the other team will hear it. All this does is give one team a good idea on another team's location.

Any questions please post them in this thread. It should be a lot of fun if we get enough people interested.

Roster so far:
    Lucky
    Atreyu the Masked LLama
    Captain van der Decken
    Selrahc
    Kyrian
    Silkenfist
    Ink
    Joosbawx
    Kantur
    Alarra
    Deckmaster
    Jontom Xire
    Krursk
    weebl
    Blackfox

Example of play:
    Spoiler
    Show

Round 1
    Team A uses a rest action to scout. They are able to determine that the room north of them contains a Zombie, and the room east of them is empty.
    Team B chooses to move west. When they enter the room they find it empty.
    Team C chooses to move east. When they enter they find a Zombie Dog that attacks someone injuring one of their teammates. They decide to kill it, using 3 of their 6 bullets.
    Team D uses a rest action to scout. They are able to determine that the room west of them contains a hunter, and the room north of them contains an ammunition clip.

Round 2
    Team A moves north, choosing to kill the Zombie inside, they subtract 2 shots from their inventory.
    Team B uses a rest action to scout. They find the room east of them empty, the room to the north contains a Zombie Dog, and the room west contains a first aid kit.
    Team C uses a rest action to scout. They determine that the room west of them is empty, and the room north contains a hunter.
    Team D moves north and obtains an ammunition clip, adding it to their inventory. This room has a locked door on the east wall.

Round 3
    Team A moves north. They find a room with a locked container inside.
    Team B moves west and obtains a first aid kit.
    Team C moves north and chooses to pass the hunter. The next round they will have to pick a direction to move.
    Team D moves east through the locked door thanks to their expert. Inside they find a Zombie Dog & a locked container. The Zombie dog injures someone (rolls to determine).
    Last edited by Tormsskull; 2007-02-21 at 07:43 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Survival Horror (Gauging Interest)

Whoa... complicated...

But heck, why not?
    Spoiler
    Show

Pirate Lucky by Ceika, Lady Luck by Ego, Lucky Luke by Captain Van Der Decken

3. - Top - End - #3

at work, no time to process rules system, don't care, must play!
    inner circle Legionary of Resiliance
    I love my Ceikatars!
    Spoiler
    Show

Not here as much. I am out Roman around.

4. - Top - End - #4

Interesting. I'll do it.
    How does the game end? When only one team survives?
    I WILL round this Cape, even if I have to keep sailing until doomsday!
    Engaged in A Spat with Jibar.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Decken by Ceika
    Spoiler
    Show
    Devil Lord-to-be and proud member of the Baatezu Lovers club!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I shall join as well.

Um...As long as it's starting after Christmas? I'll be away from the 22nd.

6. - Top - End - #6

Wait.. yeah, same as Selrahc.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Decken by Ceika
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Captain van der Decken View Post
    Interesting. I'll do it.
    How does the game end? When only one team survives?
    First team to escape from the complex. Basically there is an exit room. Once you reach that exit room, you win. There is a possibility that no teams will reach that room before dieing, and there is the possibility that two (or more) teams could reach that room at the exact same time. In that case both (or multiple) teams would tie.

In general I think that only 1 team will end up winning, but that's what is fun about leaving it to chance .

I figured it would take a while to get enough people to form teams. I'm thinking we'll start right around January 8th (Monday of the 2nd week in January).

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Tormsskull View Post
    I figured it would take a while to get enough people to form teams. I'm thinking we'll start right around January 8th (Monday of the 2nd week in January).
    Ohhhhh.. It's a sign! The game starts on my birthday! I'm going to win for sure!
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9

I'm in. Definetly in.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Part of II.I.
    Legionary of Valor
    Inner Circle
    OOC Mafioso

I'm back! Sorta. Not really. Kinda though.

10. - Top - End - #10

Note to self: Be in Lucky's team.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Decken by Ceika
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

I'm on Lucky's team.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Do we get to pick our teams in advance?

I thought it was randomly chosen.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Selrahc View Post
    Do we get to pick our teams in advance?

I thought it was randomly chosen.
    It is randomly chosen. Is it ironic that it would be lucky to be on Lucky's team? .

14. - Top - End - #14

It is randomly chosen. Is it ironic that it would be lucky to be on Lucky's team? .
    I picked this name for a reason.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

I'll join too. And I'll ask something too. So a room can contain a monster or an item, but not both? then what would be the use of entering a room with a monster other than to deplete my ammo?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Well...find a way to the exit for example?

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Beta View Post
    I'll join too. And I'll ask something too. So a room can contain a monster or an item, but not both? then what would be the use of entering a room with a monster other than to deplete my ammo?
    Silkenfist has the right of it. In order to get to the exit it is very likely that you'll have to go through monsters. If you choose to scout every turn and always take the safe route, it could take you a VERY long time to get to the exit (if it is even possible). Of course, if every other team dies, this could become a good strategy.

18. - Top - End - #18

I haven't played Resident Evil, and have almost no idea what it is, but this seems interesting. Just one question, what's the objective to the game if we're not out to kill each other?
    Click to view my dragons and help them grow!
    Please help my Pokemon!

4TH DEGREE!
    Winner of the 1st, 7th and 8th rounds of original Ready, Aim, Fire!

Pokemon X Info:
    3DS Code: 3110-5232-7003
    Character Name: Gwendolyn
    Pokemon for trade: Here

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Register now, read rules later. I'm in.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLightDragon View Post
    I haven't played Resident Evil, and have almost no idea what it is, but this seems interesting. Just one question, what's the objective to the game if we're not out to kill each other?
    The objective of the game is to be the first group to escape the complex.

Think of it like this, your team is sent to investigate this complex because strange occurences have been happening in the vicinity. When you arrive and search around you find your self under attack by strange creatures. These include zombies, zombie dogs, and strange human-like creatures with screeching voices and arm-length claws (hunters).

Your goal is to escape the complex with your lives. My rationale as to why only 1 team lives (aside from it adding a solid 'win' clause to the game) is that when you escape you seal the entrance to the complex to avoid the creatures spreading out into the streets. Of course, any team not out of the complex by the time it is sealed are as good as zombie food.

So, just as an example:
    --------------------
    A-------------------
    --------------------
    --------------------
    B------------------E
    --------------------
    --------------------
    C-------------------
    --------------------

If A = Team A's starting point, B = Team B's starting point, and C = Team C's starting point, every teams objective is to get to E (exit). Each '-' could be a monster, object, or empty room. A room may have a door in any/all directions, or it may have a door in only 2 directions. As long as 1 member of your team makes it to E, your team wins.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Halfling in the Playground

I wouldn't mind trying this at all. Sign me up.

22. - Top - End - #22

The objective of the game is to be the first group to escape the complex.

Think of it like this, your team is sent to investigate this complex because strange occurences have been happening in the vicinity. When you arrive and search around you find your self under attack by strange creatures. These include zombies, zombie dogs, and strange human-like creatures with screeching voices and arm-length claws (hunters).

Your goal is to escape the complex with your lives. My rationale as to why only 1 team lives (aside from it adding a solid 'win' clause to the game) is that when you escape you seal the entrance to the complex to avoid the creatures spreading out into the streets. Of course, any team not out of the complex by the time it is sealed are as good as zombie food.

So, just as an example:
    --------------------
    A-------------------
    --------------------
    --------------------
    B------------------E
    --------------------
    --------------------
    C-------------------
    --------------------

If A = Team A's starting point, B = Team B's starting point, and C = Team C's starting point, every teams objective is to get to E (exit). Each '-' could be a monster, object, or empty room. A room may have a door in any/all directions, or it may have a door in only 2 directions. As long as 1 member of your team makes it to E, your team wins.
    ...I think i understand now
    Click to view my dragons and help them grow!
    Please help my Pokemon!

4TH DEGREE!
    Winner of the 1st, 7th and 8th rounds of original Ready, Aim, Fire!

Pokemon X Info:
    3DS Code: 3110-5232-7003
    Character Name: Gwendolyn
    Pokemon for trade: Here

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I'll play!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Why not? I'm in.

I was outzombied by the baby!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Amotis View Post
    Alarra ate all my awesome and now she's always acknowledged as awe-inspiring awesome. Alliteration aside, Alarra is awesome.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

I believe I will play as well.
    The Chronicles of Jakwin A 3.5 D&D Campaign Setting.

avatar is a cool guy eh can bend air and doesn't afraid of anything

Don't say anything. I think my avatar might be the Avatar!

26. - Top - End - #26

I'm in.
    What the hey. I'm playing (at times frantically) werewolf IV, I'm running Paranoia, let's complete the set.

I get the general idea.

I think ym home folder at work is gonna be full of SMBG spreadsheets and my Firefox will be full of SMBG tabs (3 so far and counting ;)
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    Damn Jontom and his twisting logic that make sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    Nothing personal JX, I just know how completely devious and brilliant you are at these games when you have the time to devote to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    All I'll say is that Jontom is a master at these games ... the blue guy with the spiky teeth can be very persuasive.

Evnafet's GitP WW archive is here.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

ooohh, nasty...

just another few questions/suggestions :

- will there be random encounters/wandering monsters? I'll always remember them as the scariest moments of resident evil 1 on my gamecube.

You closed the door behind you. In front of you is a long hallway with lots of windows at your right side. You know all to well that behind those windows are numberous zombies and zombie-dogs running around. banging on the main entrance, scraping at the windows. Waiting for living flesh to become within there reach while trying to get inside the mansion with utmost effort. Of course, the not called BRAINLESS zombies for nothing. There's no way they could open even the simplest of doorlocks, whether it's actually locked or not. Besides, you've walked through this corridor at least a couple of times in the past hour. There's absolutely no reason to be afraid of anything while in this hallway.
    Yet, as you slowly walk to the door at the other side, no more than 20 ft away, you hear a noise you've never heard before while passing through this part of the mansion. Knowing exactly what it means for you to hear this specific sound, your hart skips a beat or two.
    It's the sound of braking glass

I love that game so much

p.s. got a little carried away in storytelling, will save other questions/suggestions for later
    Last edited by Beta; 2006-12-20 at 05:59 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

I'll join, if it's still open
    New Avatar! Credit and thanks to the amazing Strawberries

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Uhm...small question: Why should I ever choose to shoot a monster? If I know that it is there, I can always choose to sneak past it and killing it would only make things easier for another group following us.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Silkenfist View Post
    Uhm...small question: Why should I ever choose to shoot a monster? If I know that it is there, I can always choose to sneak past it and killing it would only make things easier for another group following us.
    In order for you to know it is there, you must have scouted the turn before. So in order to always pass by the monster, you'd have to scout, move, scout, move. This would slow your team down considerably compared to a team moving more frequently. Remember, if 1 half-dead member of another team makes it to the exit, that team wins.