New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default [EMPIRE] Northbound - The Polar Expedition of 388

This is a thread for Empire!. Unless you are a player of that game, please don't post in this thread.
    You are welcome to read this thread, maybe check out the game and join up!

Northbound - The Polar Expedition of 388
    - The Arctic Institute on a cliff above the First Tear of the Sun, Wenyavuk -

Spoiler: Invitation, copied from my IC post
    Show
    To the scholars and explorers of Telluris

In celebration of the completion of the Arctic Institute, the Wenyavuk Arctic Society invites likeminded academics and scholars of all nations and faiths to the formal opening of the Institute in 388. While the ceremony itself will be kept short to not hinder the commencement of studies through alcohol-induced intoxication, attending parties are invited to also join the subsequent arctic expedition that will settle once and for all the Telluran Rotundity Conjecture that was first stated by the famous Qarimosan philosopher Ashour in the year of 183, who claimed that our world has the shape of a sphere. The claim shall be proven by heading in a general northward direction until such time as South lies in all directions.

The expedition is scheduled to last a mere 4 months, appropriate clothing and gear will be provided by the Arctic Society. We advise all participants that, in the unlikely event of refutation of the conjecture, falling off the edge of Telluris is a distinct possibility. Therefore, and in light of certain accusations that have been made in recent years in respect to the alledged abduction of scientists by the esteemed Paco Guzman, attending scholars are expected to provide documentation signed by their heads of states which release the Society from any blame should the expedition not return as planned.

We look forward to your attendance. Please let us know of your intention of joining the expedition in advance of your arrival, so that we may prepare clothing in the respective sizes of attendees.

Imnaya an Pajen,
    Advisory of Innovation, Wenyavuk

Despite the fact that the schedule for yesterdays opening ceremony stated that it would end in the afternoon, the festivities had lasted until sunset. When the assembled scholars and explorers were awoken by the Na'nuk servant's reluctant yet persistent knocking on their doors the next morning, it felt like less than 3 hours had passed since they had gone to bed, even though the sun was already rising above the horizon - a feeling that was entirely justified as it turned out, since it had been just a few hours. The polar cycles of day and night in Wenyavuk would take some getting used to. After a rich breakfast of mammoth jerky and fish soup - that would likely take an equal amount of getting used to - the visitors were kindly asked to assemble their equipment and follow the servants to where they would recieve their polar clothing and gear.

In the east wing of the institute, next to the stables where a team of Na'nuk researches was busy preparing a mammoth sleigh filled with ice drills, mithril bladed saws and pick axes for an investigation of a nearby glacial chasm, the explorers arrived at a room that could best be described as an armory - even though there were no weapons of war or pieces of metal armor to be found. Instead, on several rails that spanned the entire length of two walls, there hung fur coats and trousers of all sizes. On a shelf, stacks of snowshoes, ushankas and boots were neatly organized and labelled, and on the remaining wall stood racks of hunting spears. Each participant was handed a pair of trousers and a coat - for those that had sent precise measurements in advance they were fitted rather accurately - as well as gloves, boots, snowshoes that could be tied to the boots and an ushanka. In the facial flap of each ushanka, two clear lenses of amber had been sown into the fur, to serve as snow glasses when the flap was folded down. Those who requested it also recieved a mithril tipped spear. Participants that had already recieved their equipment were ushered to a hallway that led to the backside of the academy, where a giant gate that would passage even of larger mammoths led to the outside.

Behind the institute, their transportation awaited. It was a vessel that resembled the merchantmen travelling on the southern oceans, yet with a length of over 80 steps and sturdier, to resist even the fierce polar storms. It would easily fit a crew of 200 men and women in addition to the scholars. It's size however was not the only difference. On each side, three curved beams connected the hull to outriggers of equal length. If the ship had been in perfectly upright position, neither outrigger would have touched the ground, which caused the vessel to lean slightly to one side as it rested on the keel and one of the outriggers. The vessel was entirely crafted from Nyrothan beech and painted in darkest black, while the lower parts of its hull and the runners of the outriggers were plated with heavy sheets of mithril. It was slightly lower than a merchantman of its size would have been, with the largest of the three masts only reaching a height of 20 steps above the deck. Of the sails, which were fashioned from gray Kasumoran cotton that would not blind the deckmens' eyes in the sun, all but one were reefed. Their surface shimmered in rectangular patterns in the low polar sun, and only closer inspection revealed that this effect was caused by the mithril threads which had been used in replacement of every hundredth thread to increase the sails' durability. No rudder was visible at its stern and the helm was located midship. Under the bowsprit, a wooden sculpture of flames painted in bright hues of red served as figurehead. Above it, the name of the ship read Inaun an Vekal in silver letters.

In front of the ship stood large stacks of crates filled with food and fuel for fires, covered in a few fingers of freshly fallen snow. Dozens of deckmen, all dressed in jackets and trousers of mammoth fur, were diligently sweeping away the layer of snow and carrying the crates and sacks of supplies aboard. As the scholars and explorers approached the ship, they were directed towards the rightmost gangway to board the ship. At the top of the gangway, Näiyop waited to greet the passengers, eager to have everyone aboard and set sail.

Spoiler: Concept
    Show
    I would like for this thread to be focussed on the explorers and scholars of Telluris - so if you have kooky scholars in your nations, send them this way please!. Due to the nature of the voyage, I expect that only few diplomats and actual heads of state show up, so this is probably not going to be a good forum for working out trade deals and treaties. There's also the Jeweled City Anniversary Event hosted by lt_murgen and Marius' Round of Prowess by WaylanderX, which are probably better suited for that purpose. As always, everyone is welcome to participate just for the fluff without spending an action. If you're spending an action, I would suggest curiosity.

Since the expedition was anounced years in advance, I believe it would be plausible to have attendees even from the far south if they are interested. I thought we would play out the start of the voyage (while the beards are still well trimmed) and present the different scholarly approaches to science, while we wait for the outcome of the exploration in next round's opener. Of course, if Morph wants to jump in and steer us over the edge of the world or to a place where there be monsters, that's very welcome too (the former slightly less than the latter ).

Spoiler: Program
    Show
    I have the following posts planned in addition to the exploration for roughly these days:

• Monday: Boarding and welcome (this post)
    • Tuesday: Short arctic safety lecture
    • Wednesday: Setting sail

After that we'll see where the wind carries us... Of course, everything can be put in a time-bubble and late arrivals can be retconned even after we leave "port".
    Last edited by aspi; 2014-04-21 at 12:37 PM.
    Inuit avatar with cherry banana on top by Yanisa

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [EMPIRE] Northbound - The Polar Expedition of 388

As Regulo Grimalkin walked up the gangway, he thought about how his life had changed. After the Undersulvan expedition, no one had written a book about him like he had expected them to, so he wrote his own. Sure he had taken a few liberties with the story, but Regulo Grimalkin and the Missing Kingdom had made him famous, made him the legend he had always wanted to be, but he was not satisfied. He yearned for more adventure. More books. And so here he was, boarding a ship for the cold north that he was used to. He hoped his fame would not distract the others. What would this book be titled? Regulo Grimalkin and the Tip of the World. Yes, that sounded right.
    Beautiful Angewomon avatar by the darling Recaiden.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

With all the furs and coats and special far-north gear Belistizo Lilin was only able to fashion his sword at his belt and his shield to his back out of all of his normal accoutrements. His squire and cousin, the young Jaristizo Lilin, thus had the unfortunate job of storing the Dusk Knight's plate armor within the small Wenyaveuk guest room.

Beli slicked back his silver-white hair behind his pointed ears with the bear grease he had brought with him from the south and pulled his Wenyaveuk supplied hat over top of his head.

"Come along now young Jari, we mustn't be late for departure."

With a sigh of resignation at the somewhat jumbled pile of armor he had piled in the corner of the room Jari stood up and straightened his thick clothes, repeating his uncle's hair greasing ritual and affixing his own hat onto his head.

The two Nyrothian faefolk left the room in the institute, Beli certain they would return and he might reclaim his armor, Jari less sure that this expedition was the proper way to assure his cousin's admittance into the Dusk Knights. For though they had traveled as representatives of the new Dusk Knights in Nyroth in truth his cousin was not yet admitted to the order. It was true he had proper martial training and knew the way of riding Kralax despite not having one of his own, but his position as the grandson of Cavindra Lilin of House Lilin, former Queen of Nyroth, and still the most influential Nyrothian noble family had prompted his noble parents to attempt and restrict his joining of the new order, insisting instead that a more distant relative might be better suited in granting their family the benefits. Beli hadn't listened and had talked his cousin with whom he was close friends into proving his worth as a Knight and the two had set out to join the Wenyaveuk expedition. Now that they were here Jari was questioning his agreement to accompany his cousin but it seemed it was too late as they were already walking up the gangplank behind some cat person Sycian or Felitoran he couldn't tell.

"Hail mighty chief of Wenyaveuk! I bring good tidings from Nyroth and all the Triumvirate!"

Spoiler
    Show

Amazing Avatar by Qwernt! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    The whole world is held aloft by a dragon.

That dragon? Held aloft by a bigger dragon.

It's dragons all the way up
    Beat the bejesus out of a Paladin

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by HisHolyAngel View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    As Regulo Grimalkin walked up the gangway, he thought about how his life had changed. After the Undersulvan expedition, no one had written a book about him like he had expected them to, so he wrote his own. Sure he had taken a few liberties with the story, but Regulo Grimalkin and the Missing Kingdom had made him famous, made him the legend he had always wanted to be, but he was not satisfied. He yearned for more adventure. More books. And so here he was, boarding a ship for the cold north that he was used to. He hoped his fame would not distract the others. What would this book be titled? Regulo Grimalkin and the Tip of the World. Yes, that sounded right.
    As Regulo reached the top of the gangway, Näiyop raised his hand in a salute. Next to the chieftain stood an officer with a scroll of parchment, most likely to keep track of arrivals and inform the chieftain of their names. But Näiyop didn't have to confer with his aide, from the Sycian features alone it was already apparent who he was addressing. "You must be Regulo Grimalkin, welcome aboard, I am Näiyop. We are glad to have you join us on this trip. Your name has reached us long before you did." He sighed, but never stopped smiling "Alas, I have little time to read anything but reports and political texts. Even less so in recent years. But I am sure that you would find an interested audience not just in me if you were to share tales of your exploits on our journey to the North!"

Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    With all the furs and coats and special far-north gear Belistizo Lilin was only able to fashion his sword at his belt and his shield to his back out of all of his normal accoutrements. His squire and cousin, the young Jaristizo Lilin, thus had the unfortunate job of storing the Dusk Knight's plate armor within the small Wenyaveuk guest room.

Beli slicked back his silver-white hair behind his pointed ears with the bear grease he had brought with him from the south and pulled his Wenyaveuk supplied hat over top of his head.

"Come along now young Jari, we mustn't be late for departure."

With a sigh of resignation at the somewhat jumbled pile of armor he had piled in the corner of the room Jari stood up and straightened his thick clothes, repeating his uncle's hair greasing ritual and affixing his own hat onto his head.

The two Nyrothian faefolk left the room in the institute, Beli certain they would return and he might reclaim his armor, Jari less sure that this expedition was the proper way to assure his cousin's admittance into the Dusk Knights. For though they had traveled as representatives of the new Dusk Knights in Nyroth in truth his cousin was not yet admitted to the order. It was true he had proper martial training and knew the way of riding Kralax despite not having one of his own, but his position as the grandson of Cavindra Lilin of House Lilin, former Queen of Nyroth, and still the most influential Nyrothian noble family had prompted his noble parents to attempt and restrict his joining of the new order, insisting instead that a more distant relative might be better suited in granting their family the benefits. Beli hadn't listened and had talked his cousin with whom he was close friends into proving his worth as a Knight and the two had set out to join the Wenyaveuk expedition. Now that they were here Jari was questioning his agreement to accompany his cousin but it seemed it was too late as they were already walking up the gangplank behind some cat person Sycian or Felitoran he couldn't tell.

"Hail mighty chief of Wenyaveuk! I bring good tidings from Nyroth and all the Triumvirate!"
    Näiyop suppressed a smirk as he was hailed by the two knights. It wasn't every day he was called mighty, but then it didn't exactly hurt his self esteem, either. The officer at his side whispered something in his ear as the two men approached, clearly not yet comfortable being this wrapped up in furs - but they would get there before the jourey was over. He gave his aide a brief nod and greeted them, not entirely sure of the proper way of addressing member of this young order "Sirs, welcome aboad! I am glad you arrived safely and support from the Triumvirate is much appreciated. How was your trip?"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aspi View Post
    As Regulo reached the top of the gangway, Näiyop raised his hand in a salute. Next to the chieftain stood an officer with a scroll of parchment, most likely to keep track of arrivals and inform the chieftain of their names. But Näiyop didn't have to confer with his aide, from the Sycian features alone it was already apparent who he was addressing. "You must be Regulo Grimalkin, welcome aboard, I am Näiyop. We are glad to have you join us on this trip. Your name has reached us long before you did." He sighed, but never stopped smiling "Alas, I have little time to read anything but reports and political texts. Even less so in recent years. But I am sure that you would find an interested audience not just in me if you were to share tales of your exploits on our journey to the North!"
    Regulo smiled proudly.
    "It is truly flattering to hear those words. Your kindness knows no bounds. The honor of being here is mine, I have yearned for another taste of adventure and discovery, and will gladly share my tells with the others if it will keep them entertained."
    He nods at his own words.
    "The North is my homeland, and though this may be farther north even than that, it is good to know that we are delving deep into Yphine's frozen mystery."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Näiyop suppressed a smirk as he was hailed by the two knights. It wasn't every day he was called mighty, but then it didn't exactly hurt his self esteem, either. The officer at his side whispered something in his ear as the two men approached, clearly not yet comfortable being this wrapped up in furs - but they would get there before the jourey was over. He gave his aide a brief nod and greeted them, not entirely sure of the proper way of addressing member of this young order "Sirs, welcome aboad! I am glad you arrived safely and support from the Triumvirate is much appreciated. How was your trip?"
    "Twas a fine adventure, worthy of a song its very own! Now, chieftain, you'll excuse my rudeness but did you say that young sir," he pointed at Regulo, "Was the Regulo Grimalkin?"

Ancestors and gods above, Jari thought, his cousin had devoured that adventurer's book at least one hundred times over. Jari had read it himself, and found the tales exciting if a bit grandiose, but it was what had inspired Beli to pursue knighthood and if he was being honest, it played a part in his joining as well. Still, he was not quite the fan his older cousin was.

"Greetings to you adventurer and proper Ser Grimalkin!" Beli bolstered, "It is with the honor of the order of the Dusk Knights I approach and extend my hand to one so brave as thee! I am Ser Belistizo Lilin, Dusk Knight of Nyroth, and this is my loyal squire Jaristizo Lilin! We have each read your book of tales and it is that very tome that inspired my current career and that of my faithful friend!"

Jari smiled apologetically to the chieftain for his cousin's loudness and scurried past the Na'Nuk man to join his cousin.

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

"Twas a fine adventure, worthy of a song its very own! Now, chieftain, you'll excuse my rudeness but did you say that young sir," he pointed at Regulo, "Was the Regulo Grimalkin?"

Ancestors and gods above, Jari thought, his cousin had devoured that adventurer's book at least one hundred times over. Jari had read it himself, and found the tales exciting if a bit grandiose, but it was what had inspired Beli to pursue knighthood and if he was being honest, it played a part in his joining as well. Still, he was not quite the fan his older cousin was.

"Greetings to you adventurer and proper Ser Grimalkin!" Beli bolstered, "It is with the honor of the order of the Dusk Knights I approach and extend my hand to one so brave as thee! I am Ser Belistizo Lilin, Dusk Knight of Nyroth, and this is my loyal squire Jaristizo Lilin! We have each read your book of tales and it is that very tome that inspired my current career and that of my faithful friend!"

Jari smiled apologetically to the chieftain for his cousin's loudness and scurried past the Na'Nuk man to join his cousin.
    Regulo flushed red, before he once again beams with pride.
    "Your words bring great joy to my heart. This adventurers spirit was a gift from Yphine herself, and I could know no greater honor than to spread that spirit to hopeful souls such as yourself. I can only hope this trip brings as much excitement as my last. Surely there will be perils, but together we shall overcome them."
    He bows.
    "I would love to speak more to you as we set off on our journey."
    He says with a much simpler smile, extending a hand of friendship.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Regulo flushed red, before he once again beams with pride.
    "Your words bring great joy to my heart. This adventurers spirit was a gift from Yphine herself, and I could know no greater honor than to spread that spirit to hopeful souls such as yourself. I can only hope this trip brings as much excitement as my last. Surely there will be perils, but together we shall overcome them."
    He bows.
    "I would love to speak more to you as we set off on our journey."
    He says with a much simpler smile, extending a hand of friendship.
    Belistizo took the man's hand and gave it a solid shake,

"You would do me a great honor in doing so, though I hope our own adventure may prompt tales we might tell together!"

"Hello," Jari said for the first time, taking the Sycian adventurer's hand once Beli had let it free.

"Your book is rather popular in Nyroth, though I suspect my cousin, erm, Ser Lilin, is the most devout reader of your work."

"Jari speaks truly, I have read it many times over. I find myself particularly intrigued by your saving of Malcolm from his fall, he seemed a bit of a lout as you described him but you proved your honor in saving him."

As Beli went to work talking with the Sycian Jari returned to the Na'Nuk chief,

"Are you joining the expedition as well chieftain?"
    Last edited by QuintonBeck; 2014-04-21 at 07:58 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Belistizo took the man's hand and gave it a solid shake,

"You would do me a great honor in doing so, though I hope our own adventure may prompt tales we might tell together!"

"Hello," Jari said for the first time, taking the Sycian adventurer's hand once Beli had let it free.

"Your book is rather popular in Nyroth, though I suspect my cousin, erm, Ser Lilin, is the most devout reader of your work."

"Jari speaks truly, I have read it many times over. I find myself particularly intrigued by your saving of Malcolm from his fall, he seemed a bit of a lout as you described him but you proved your honor in saving him."

Regulo nodded in remembrance.
    "He certainly was at that, but an important part of our expedition nonetheless. Letting anyone die, no matter how much of a lout was out of the question."
    He laughs at the mention of telling another tale, though not in mockery of the idea.
    "Perhaps this tale will have some romance. I did feel the underground adventure was quite lacking of it."
    He says, giving Beli a playful nudge.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Regulo nodded in remembrance.
    "He certainly was at that, but an important part of our expedition nonetheless. Letting anyone die, no matter how much of a lout was out of the question."
    He laughs at the mention of telling another tale, though not in mockery of the idea.
    "Perhaps this tale will have some romance. I did feel the underground adventure was quite lacking of it."
    He says, giving Beli a playful nudge.
    "A noble ideal we Knights of Dusk embrace as well," the faeborn knight agreed at the Sycian's mention of saving one and all.

The Nyroth native's pale face, already flushed a silvery complexion from the cold grew even shinier at the explorer's nudge.

"I'm quite sorry Ser Grimalkin, but I have sworn an oath of celibacy and abstinence until such time as I am released from my duties as a Knight and though romance need not involve such things I fear temptation in this frozen north and I would rather avoid such things."

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Regulo shrugs.
    "A pity. Ah well, perhaps it will be unique to my part of the tale. Now what is it you do for fun?"

12. - Top - End - #12

The chieftain nodded "Indeed I am, I wouldn't miss such an opportunity for the world. You may have heard the storyof how I discovered that there was green land south of Wenyavuk. Back then I didn't have more than my clothes and what I could carry on my back, definitely nothing like this." He gestured at the ship "Yet still my advisors worried and told me it was too dangerous. Of course it might be dangerous, but if Näiyop the Explorer was too afraid of a little ice, then how could I ask my people and friends to go? In the end, they caved. " He grinned and added with a wink "It probably helped that I paid for the ship though. "

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Regulo shrugs.
    "A pity. Ah well, perhaps it will be unique to my part of the tale. Now what is it you do for fun?"
    "A Knight does not pursue fun, he enjoys the pleasure of duty," Beli answered, "Though I might say dueling to be my favorite aspect of duty, and the travel across the lands a fierce competitor for that hold. Such inclinations are what drove me here in fact, as well as a chance to prove myself to, that is to say, for the Dusk Knights."

The chieftain nodded "Indeed I am, I wouldn't miss such an opportunity for the world. You may have heard the storyof how I discovered that there was green land south of Wenyavuk. Back then I didn't have more than my clothes and what I could carry on my back, definitely nothing like this." He gestured at the ship "Yet still my advisors worried and told me it was too dangerous. Of course it might be dangerous, but if Näiyop the Explorer was too afraid of a little ice, then how could I ask my people and friends to go? In the end, they caved. " He grinned and added with a wink "It probably helped that I paid for the ship though. "
    "It is good to have you. You may not believe it, but much is spoken of you in Nyroth, 'a wiser man has not lived' they say, mostly in regards to your work with the Heartwaste. We faefolk of Nyroth claim some ancestry to those in the Heartwaste you know, and though we are long removed it does us good to see war averted."

And makes being a Dusk Knight's squire slightly less lethal, he thought to himself.
    Last edited by QuintonBeck; 2014-04-22 at 04:00 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14

"It is good to have you. You may not believe it, but much is spoken of you in Nyroth, 'a wiser man has not lived' they say, mostly in regards to your work with the Heartwaste. We faefolk of Nyroth claim some ancestry to those in the Heartwaste you know, and though we are long removed it does us good to see war averted."

And makes being a Dusk Knight's squire slightly less lethal, he thought to himself.
    The chieftain smiled at those words "I am glad that it worked out this way, but it is due to many wise men and women, your Empress among them. I hope that in time Serendel and Hurosha will see the wisdom in it as well. But in the meantime, it will be up to men like you to keep the peace." With a mischievous smile he added "So let's make sure you get home safely to that duty", before he turned to climb the stairs to the helm.

After the boarding (everyone)

After the last of the explorers had boarded the ship and been greeted by Näiyop, four of the deckhands began to remove the gateway that had been used for boarding. The chieftain looked through the assembled group of explorers. Many had come from Wenyavuk, but only few from the South. He had hoped that more would turn up, but there were probably nicer places to be if one wasn't set on exploring a frozen wasteland, he thought, fondly remebering last year's trip to the Jewelled Cities. There was time yet and maybe it simply took some of them longer to adjust to the arctic equipment than he had expected. The second gateway was still being used for loading supplies and equipment, so latecomers would be able to get on board. He climbed up the stairs that separated the deck where everyone was gathered from the helm and audibly cleared his throat to get the attention of the scholars who bad begun their exchange of theories already. "Thank you all for joining this expedition. With your support, we will discover more than the Na'nuk ever could alone. Now..." leaned forward towards the crowd below him, supporting his weight on the handrail that surrounded the helm "I know that you are as eager to start this expedition as I am. But there are still a few crates left to be loaded and I would like to ensure that everyone is prepared for what lies ahead as best as possible. The ice is not a forgiving place." He gestured to the man who had left the helm to a subordinate and now stood at his left "Kaptan Silla will go through the details." He took a step back to let the Kaptan speak.

Silla might have been slightly younger than the chieftain, maybe in his mid forties, however it was difficult to say with any certainty since his skin was darker than usual and weatherbeaten. Those who had been to the port cities of the Triumvirate or Celero recognized a slight drawl, not unlike that of the island nations. As he began to speak, his coarse voice carried across the deck and well beyond the ship "Alright lads, you heard the chieftain. Let's get to it so we can be on our way!" He raised his hands apologetically "I know some of your aren't foreign to the North and have been on the ice before. So if you hear something you already know, be glad that you do, there's no insult intended. Those of you who don't know better listen up!" He turned and walked a step to the left, then faced the explorers again, pointing to the amber lenses on his ushanka "These here are not for decoration. The sun isn't strong this fart north but the snow reflects everything. Look at it for too long and you'll go blind. So if the sun is out or the clouds are thin, put them down to cover your eyes. Makes the world look a bit funny but you'll get used to it."

He gave them a moment to try out the flaps on their caps, instructing a crewman to throw him a belaying pin in the meantime. Gripping it like a sword he addressed the explorers again "We won't have to expect much wildlife but if we have to stop, there might be tigers or polar bears. If you have to fight them, don't do it like this." He began to strike at an imaginary tiger with the belaying pin. Those in the crowd who had military training could tell that he knew how to handle a sword, yet his movements still appeared clumsy and ridiculous due to the thickness of the fur clothing, rendering most of his attacks ineffective. Panting slightly the kaptan grinned and continued "Looked good didn't I? If you can help it, try to use a spear. Keeps them at a distance as well." He looked at the nail he still held in his hand, then thrust it out for everyone to see "Do you know why this is made from wood?" He asked, waiting a moment before giving an answer "Metal would be stronger, but it would also freeze to your skin if you were to touch it without gloves, like these sometimes must be. So whenever you're outside, don't touch anything made of metal with your bare hands or you'd get frostburns before we can take it off again." He exhaled deeply, his breath forming a small cloud that blew away immediately in the soft breeze. "Those of you who haven't been outside at night might also find out that there's this cute phenomenon where it's so cold that your breath crackles when you exhale. It's not dangerous, it's just the sound of your breath freezing in midair. You'll become hypothermic quickly when it's that cold and you're not used to it, so take heed."

The kapten leaned forward looking at a group of scholars from Irfrin's Cauldron "Now lastly, for those who've been wondering how we steer this ship - and this goes especially for the scholars who want to set up their gear during the trip." Pointing at the two masts that framed the helm on each side of the ship and were mounted in enormous hinges he continued "These two beauties are the steering masts. There's no water so we can't use a rudder. Depending on which direction we want to turn, we can lower them to increase the drag on either side. So there's to be absolutely no equipment installed around the helm." With a slight grin he added "Standing directly below them when they go down might also not be the best idea." He contemplated for a moment then announced "I believe that's it. Welcome aboard. If you have any remaining questions, any of our officers will glady answer them for you."

Näiyop, who had come down from the helm during the kaptan's speech turned toward the explorers "Well, now that this is cleared up, let's see about getting you settled in and maybe finding you something hot to drink."
    Last edited by aspi; 2014-04-22 at 04:26 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Jari nodded and swallowed a bit harder as the chief went to climb to the helm and address the crew. He rediscovered Beli, harder to do with the somewhat homogenous outfits, and settled in next to his cousin for the speech from the Kaptan.

At the chief's suggestion of a warm drink both the Nyrothian's eyes lit up, though Beli's voice remained level,

"A warm drink would be fine indeed honorable chieftain."

"So spears are the preferred weapon in the arctic?" he asked as the entered the lower decks, "It is a fine weapon, the Woodwind soldiers of the Triumvirate wield them primarily, better than any other in Triumviral lands, but we receive training in their usage in Nyroth as well. Tell me chieftain, I have heard stories of snow sabers as large as a dire boar, is it true such animals roam these lands?"

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

"A Knight does not pursue fun, he enjoys the pleasure of duty," Beli answered, "Though I might say dueling to be my favorite aspect of duty, and the travel across the lands a fierce competitor for that hold. Such inclinations are what drove me here in fact, as well as a chance to prove myself to, that is to say, for the Dusk Knights."
    Regulo looks surprised.
    "Does not pursue fun? Well it's certainly going to be hard for you to craft a good tale to tell if you don't pursue fun.

Duels involve to much fair opportunity for the other side in my opinion. Whatever you find in the wilderness won't fight with rules. If we find anything at all that is."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Regulo looks surprised.
    "Does not pursue fun? Well it's certainly going to be hard for you to craft a good tale to tell if you don't pursue fun.

Duels involve to much fair opportunity for the other side in my opinion. Whatever you find in the wilderness won't fight with rules. If we find anything at all that is."
    "I find the rules of a duel to be a refreshing respite from the barbarism of the wild. It is more noble to beat a fellow fair and he live by act of sparing than to kill as one would a beast of the hunt," Beli said with pride.

"Perhaps you are right that I might not compose a tale myself, but it is my hope I may be included in one of your own making, as fine a craftsmen of the word as you are."

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Regulo patted Beli on the back.
    "Every tale needs men of virtue to keep the chaotic hero in check."

19. - Top - End - #19

Jari nodded and swallowed a bit harder as the chief went to climb to the helm and address the crew. He rediscovered Beli, harder to do with the somewhat homogenous outfits, and settled in next to his cousin for the speech from the Kaptan.

At the chief's suggestion of a warm drink both the Nyrothian's eyes lit up, though Beli's voice remained level,

"A warm drink would be fine indeed honorable chieftain."

"So spears are the preferred weapon in the arctic?" he asked as the entered the lower decks, "It is a fine weapon, the Woodwind soldiers of the Triumvirate wield them primarily, better than any other in Triumviral lands, but we receive training in their usage in Nyroth as well. Tell me chieftain, I have heard stories of snow sabers as large as a dire boar, is it true such animals roam these lands?"
    While the two were assigned their quarters, the chieftain organized a couple of mugs filled with hot, spiced mead and offered them to the knights as he returned. He picked up where they had left off their conversation when the stewart had interrupted them with the cabin assignments "I have to admit that I've never had the opportunity to see a dire boar before. I had intended to go on a hunt when I visited the Empire a few years back but..." he sighed "...but that trip ended quite differently from what we had imagined." He smiled again, with a subtle hint of sadness in his expression "But that's in the past. Tigers in the north can grow quite large, over four steps in length and almost as tall as a man" he raised his hands to qualify the claim "well, as tall as a Na'nuk that is, not a Terkovan for example. But they have to be, they hunt mammoths and woolly rhinos after all. I don't expect to see many of them on our trip. While it is true that they sometimes wander far from the Tears, they still need food and would starve in the cold without it. Now the trule interesting question is what can we expect to find? Care to make a guess or wager?" he asked with a smirk.

Meanwhile (Regulo)
    As they entered the lower decks and were assigned to their cabins, one of the Na'nuk approached Regulo I overheard some talk on deck, you're the Regulo Grimalkin, are you not? My name is Enyop an Pajen, I'm from the Arctic Institute. More importantly however", he added with a smile I'm also the head of the First Tear's association of actors. We're striving to establish a theatre culture in Wenyavuk, but so far we've had little success. Money is hard to come by, you know... with all those new ships there's been less money for the arts. But we're hopeful to... he shook his head I'm rambling, forgive me. I just wanted to ask if you'd consider performing in Wenyavuk for a while after this voyage. Your books are well known and you're from Sycia just like the famous playwright. But reading about a story such as ours and hearing about it are no the same. We'd see to it that there would be some compensation of course. You could even turn your story into a play, have you considered this before?

Spoiler: OOC Program
    Show
    I don't think I'll be able to finish the setting sail part today. Hopefully I'll have it up tomorrow and then some actual exploring for friday / saturday.
    Last edited by aspi; 2014-04-23 at 05:02 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    While the two were assigned their quarters, the chieftain organized a couple of mugs filled with hot, spiced mead and offered them to the knights as he returned. He picked up where they had left off their conversation when the stewart had interrupted them with the cabin assignments "I have to admit that I've never had the opportunity to see a dire boar before. I had intended to go on a hunt when I visited the Empire a few years back but..." he sighed "...but that trip ended quite differently from what we had imagined." He smiled again, with a subtle hint of sadness in his expression "But that's in the past. Tigers in the north can grow quite large, over four steps in length and almost as tall as a man" he raised his hands to qualify the claim "well, as tall as a Na'nuk that is, not a Terkovan for example. But they have to be, they hunt mammoths and woolly rhinos after all. I don't expect to see many of them on our trip. While it is true that they sometimes wander far from the Tears, they still need food and would starve in the cold without it. Now the trule interesting question is what can we expect to find? Care to make a guess or wager?" he asked with a smirk.
    Beli bowed his head respectfully at the reference to the Grand Ball. He had only just been entering manhood at the time but he had heard saddening tales. It seemed the Mother Weaver's invocation outside Nyroth must have tangled the silk web enough to cause disturbance throughout the spirit realm.

"It is good that we shall not cross them then it seems. As for what I believe may lie north," he paused, sipping at his spiced mead, "I believe we may find the domain of Yphinne, and perhaps a portal through her realm to the greater land of the other spirits. It is known the Lord of Fire, Irfrin, resides within the sun, it is not unreasonable to think the Frozen Lady's domain might lie in the farthest north."

"It would certainly be amazing to cross into the realm of spirits as the Mashahidi do, but in a way that all might access," Jari added, "Though I myself am more inclined to believe it will only be more frozen land until such a time as it isn't frozen anymore and we're standing in some strange and far flung nation."

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21

Beli bowed his head respectfully at the reference to the Grand Ball. He had only just been entering manhood at the time but he had heard saddening tales. It seemed the Mother Weaver's invocation outside Nyroth must have tangled the silk web enough to cause disturbance throughout the spirit realm.

"It is good that we shall not cross them then it seems. As for what I believe may lie north," he paused, sipping at his spiced mead, "I believe we may find the domain of Yphinne, and perhaps a portal through her realm to the greater land of the other spirits. It is known the Lord of Fire, Irfrin, resides within the sun, it is not unreasonable to think the Frozen Lady's domain might lie in the farthest north."

"It would certainly be amazing to cross into the realm of spirits as the Mashahidi do, but in a way that all might access," Jari added, "Though I myself am more inclined to believe it will only be more frozen land until such a time as it isn't frozen anymore and we're standing in some strange and far flung nation."
    As the knight mentioned Yphine's domain, Näiyop motioned to him to lower his voice, quickly explaining "Yphine is not a kind goddess in the belief of many Na'nuk. She is the mother of tigers that stalks in the snow and darkness where Irfrin's gaze does not reach. If Na'nuk sailors have one thing in common with their comrades on the southern oceans, it is their liability to superstition. We would do well not to suggest to them that we might find the lair of the Snowtiger any more than the tought has already occurred to them." He grinned encouragingly "While it is of possible that we might find such a place, I am more inclined to agree with Jari. The gods do not seem to like being disturbed and it would be difficult to find a certain spot in this desolate place. It is unlikely that we will even hit the exact tip of the world where one would expect such a place to exist. How would we tell when we reached it, unless there were something to distinguish it from it's surroundings? I expect that we will pass it in the distance and then head south towards lands on the other side of Telluris."

Shortly before noon (everyone)

Shortly before the sun reached its zenith two finger lengths above the horizon, the last of the crates had finally been carried aboard by tireless crewmen. In front of the academy, a large crowd of Na'nuk had assembled to bid the the Inaun farewell. Quickly, the second gangway was removed as well and at the first mate's signal, Na'nuk workers began to remove the ropes that had been slung around the outriggers and tied to pegs in the ice to keep the ship in place. Following a nod from Kaptan Silla, a junior officer blew into a signalling horn, prompting the entire crew to appear on deck. At the kaptan's command, they quickly climbed up the shrouds, much more agile in their fur clothing than one would have expected. One by one, the gray sails were hoisted until Kaptan Silla finally shouted "Brace yourselves, everyone!". The warning came just in time as mere moments later, the ship jolted heavily and then began to slide. Slowly at first then with increasing speed as the remaining sails were set, the keel scratched across the ice. A roar went through the assembled crowd and a choirs of shouts reached the ears of the explorers as the Na'nuk wished them godspeed. As the ship began to pick up pace, the shouts grew quieter and farther away, until the crowd - and the academy shortly thereafter - vanished behind the horizon. Around them, the white plains of ice spread out as far as their eyes could see.

For the first few hours of the trip, the wind had steadily blown from South by Southwest, driving the Inaun along with it at a comfortable pace. With the wind coming in steadily from behind, it was easy to avoid it's frosty touch by looking ahead. When the sun touched the horizon however, the winds began to change, blowing from the West and causing the ship to slightly change course. Kaptan Silla grinned fiercely and had his officer give another horn signal. Turning towards those of the explorers who had stayed on deck he called out "Make sure your caps are strapped on tight!", before he turned his attention to the crewmen who had begun to adjust the sails. The Inaun quickly gained speed, now sailing at an almost perpendicular angle to the wind. As the freezing air blew across the deck from the side now, the ship's momentum steadily increased to even higher speeds than the wind itself, until it raced across the ice at almost twice the speed a similar ship could have reached on water. Even the Na'nuk, who were used to the polar storms since their childhood, now began to feel the cold and took shelter in the wake of superstructures that had been installed on deck, probably for just this purpose. Those who didn't have to stay on deck, quickly went below.
    Last edited by aspi; 2014-04-24 at 03:27 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

((Is anyone else reminded of the beginning and end part of Frankenstein with this northern expedition? What if that's what we find up here? Frankenstein's Monster!))

Beli nodded at the chieftain's warning and subsequent speculation. Yphinne was certainly a frightful goddess, but then so was the Lord of Fire, and the Mother Weaver as well if it was true she was responsible for the disaster at the Ball.

The two Nyroth faefolks stood out on the bridge as the wicked northern wind ripped at their clothes, they wouldn't be able to stay much longer but each wanted to get a good look at the strange frozen landscape whipping by them at incredible speeds. Quickly however the wind grew too biting and they quickly headed back below, rubbing their extremities and breathing into their hands to try and stay warm.

"Exhilarating isn't is Jari!"

"I just hope we end up in the warmer areas the chief mentioned soon."

"Where's your sense of adventure comrade!"

"I suppose wherever your real knighthood is."

Beli glowered at his compatriot and said no more. Jari was right however, he wasn't yet a Dusk Knight and this trip might not change that. He shook the thought from his head as quickly as it came. No, he would prove himself and he would return to accolades and a hero's welcome and even though Jari didn't want it he'd make sure he enjoyed it too.

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Regulo smiled, standing tall and facing the wind.
    "Imagine if the Frost Goddess really does live out here. What a tale that would make."
    He looked back in the direction they had come from.
    "I wish I had brought Desmond along. He's the pegasi I bought with my first earnings from my book. He was made for adventure he was.

24. - Top - End - #24

Like Regulo, Näiyop stayed on deck longer than most, watching as the sun slowly dropped behind the horizon until the last direct sunlight disappeared in a jet of green that only lasted for a single heartbeat. The indirect light that remained was weak enough for him to take of his snowglasses so he could see farther. Shielding his eyes from the direct wind with one hand, he gazed to the North, scanning the horizon for any shape or form that stood out on the plain surface of the ice all around them.

((Is anyone else reminded of the beginning and end part of Frankenstein with this northern expedition? What if that's what we find up here? Frankenstein's Monster!))
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    We'll soon find out

25. - Top - End - #25

Long after the sun had set and even the last gleam of sunlight had dimmed to a muddy twilight, the wind had settled down to a faint breeze. The Inaun glided along below the blue-black sky of the polar night on her way to the North. The crew had retreated below decks, except for the unlucky few who had been assigned to the dogwatch. Above the ship, polar lights danced in the sky like colorful curtains of light that hid the stars behind them. Illuminated by their serene light, something shimmered in the distance where the sky was darkest - something that protruded from the level surface of the ice.

Spoiler: OOC: Thread continuation
    Show
    After talking to Morph about it, I've decided to continue the thread for another week with an exploration of something the expedition encountered along the way. I'll start on monday and everyone is welcome to join. There's no actual event this round, so there's no need to spend an action. If you weren't on the expedition so far, you can simply assume you were there for the ride all along.

26. - Top - End - #26

(OOC: Expedition is cancelled)