New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast

Thread: Riverside 15

1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Riverside 15

[Westside Park]

"Have you ever been in the bigger city?" Batu asks. "The one they call Inside. It's an insane place by the sounds of it."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Orc in the Playground

Westside Park

"No, I haven't. It was too far away, and the Riftline was introduced after I became a vampire, so I haven't had a chance to use it." I know that much, though I can't recall her age.

Southside Apartments

The two girls will look through the new recruits, Babette is looking for any that have never thought or performed anything evil; she can smell this quality on them, but if they aren't intelligent creatures then it won't matter. Kessendra will help Babette, but can't smell those innocent of evil thought and deed.
    Last edited by Earl of Purple; 2014-05-11 at 04:28 PM.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

[Southside Apartment]

Elereshur also examines the new set of captives, making sure they're healthy and that the only consciousness in their head is their own.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    "More? Why, I'll take whatever you're willing to part with! Here, let me prepare some notes..." Says Sticks, removing a quill and a vial of ink from his cloak. "You know, Bolts ought to be back by now. If you'd still like that map of Ssut." Of course he does.
    Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post
    Fourth Tower Compound

"We'll see." says Arty, before signaling his host to end the seance. Or opening his eyes, if that was what he was told to do.

The Toy Tinker

Jim stops for just a moment. Just what is all this around? But he hasn't the time to linger. He swears, although not too loudly, abandoning his carefulness and running in the direction of the voice, staying mindful only of where he's going so he doesn't trip or slam into something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post

um, hello, miss.
    Misaka says, surprised at the woman's sudden appearance, unfazed by the clothing of her because A) she's the same gender and B) Misaka's been in girl's locker rooms before.
    She is kinda developing a slightly bad opinion of her though.
    Haven't seen any potato chips recently
    Quote Originally Posted by firedaemon33 View Post
    [Below Malchenar]

Kanya nods, and says, "Okay...I promise, I won't try to hurt anyone. Please, send your warlocks in."
    Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    [Suncrest Manor]

"Ugh, put a shirt on or something, Irena." Eliseo grabs a throw pillow and tosses it at Irena's head. Not that Irena in her underwear could faze Eliseo after dealing with similar his whole life, but he has someone over!
    [Suncrest Manor]

"I was just about to!" Irena exclaims, waving the shirt she had in her hand around. Geez, sensitive much? Then she hears Misaka's voice and turns and waves. "Oh hey, who're you?"

Fourth Tower Compound

He opens his eyes and can see Zareen and Kipp there, the merwoman smiling at him. The tiefling looking somewhat bored. "So it went well? You got what you wanted?" She asks, finally removing her scaly hands from his.

[Below Malchenar]

"Good, they should be here soon. Just be patient and it will all work out ma'm." The captain states. "But is there anything we could... do for you while you wait? If you pardon me, you don't look too healthy ma'm." Not that it's easy to tell how healthy an fire vampire is.

[Malechenar]

"Yes, of course. I will have someone look at it as soon as your servant returns. In the meantime my library stands open for you. Just be careful with the infused books, they're all possessed by various entities that aren't always willing to share their secrets. But otherwise feel free to look around and just tell me if you need any help. You may stay as long as you want, this project cannot be rushed after all. You an your helper will be able to come and go from this castle just as you please." Ryhe remarks, gesturing at the library around them. "You may even invite guests. At my permission of course."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2014-05-11 at 05:35 PM.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

[Below Malchenar]

Kanya smiles nervously and says, "Well...I'm very cold...But I'm always cold now...Otherwise, not much."

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

[Westside Park]

"It's an insane place of iron, stone and fire," Batu says. "We gave it a wide berth after spotting it in the distance. Can't say I'm very curious. You probably can't see the sky there."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Orc in the Playground

Westside Park

"For me, no sky is good. It means no sun, and whilst my skin means I can walk around without being burnt, if I rip it I'm dead." Even the sunlight that reflects off the moon tingles. Which at least means she has a safe method of determining how badly her skin is damaged- just go out under the moon, remove her clothes and anywhere that tingles needs repairing.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

[Suncrest Manor]

Way to be clueless, Irena. "She's Misaka. We're hanging out." Eliseo waves a hand at her. And then for Misaka's benefit, "This is Irena. She's my other mom. Mom two point oh. Now with eighty percent less clothes."

9. - Top - End - #219

[Suncrest Manor]

Way to be clueless, Irena. "She's Misaka. We're hanging out." Eliseo waves a hand at her. And then for Misaka's benefit, "This is Irena. She's my other mom. Mom two point oh. Now with eighty percent less clothes."
    Misaka chuckles, and nods, not sure how to reply.
    WAY TO MAKE THE SITUATION AWKWARD IRENA!
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

[Westside Park]

"I don't really care about the sun, but the sky... I like having it above me. It's a hobgoblin thing, I suppose." Batu shrugs.

11. - Top - End - #221

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post

[The Heist]

"A well paid job!" The imp insists. "Virgins blood and not the loser blood either, the chaste kind!" This demon had prospects!
    "To, uh, in which you would be paid above minimum wage in blood, from, uh, respectable and chaste people." The Burglar adds. "Is that it?"
    Meese Mobster by smuchmuch.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Orc in the Playground

Westside Park

"I know what you mean. The stars are so pretty at night. I'd never really looked at them until I no longer needed to sleep." She could enter torpor, but she won't be able to wake herself up very easily and may spend the next few decades pretending to be a corpse. It's something she can use to escape persecution- if she has somewhere safe, dark, and unlikely to be disturbed for a long time. And if she had an organic skin, by the time she wakes up it'll have rotted away completely leaving her very vulnerable.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Halfling in the Playground

[Malechenar]

"Yes, of course. I will have someone look at it as soon as your servant returns. In the meantime my library stands open for you. Just be careful with the infused books, they're all possessed by various entities that aren't always willing to share their secrets. But otherwise feel free to look around and just tell me if you need any help. You may stay as long as you want, this project cannot be rushed after all. You an your helper will be able to come and go from this castle just as you please." Ryhe remarks, gesturing at the library around them. "You may even invite guests. At my permission of course."
    Sticks blinks once, watching Lord Ryhe, and then places his arm across his chest. He bends in the deepest of bows, his head lowered before the master of Malechenar. "Your generosity humbles me." He turns his head up, one eye opening slightly. "There was, perhaps, one other thing I'd like to investigate, while I've the time."

The tall man turns reluctantly from his conversation with Ryhe and moves toward a shelf. He thought he recognized some of these tomes. He owns a few. The Anatomy of the Soul... The Scrolls of the Disciple of Asmodeous... And... wait...

"This is mine," Sticks says suddenly, plucking a cracked brown leather volume from the shelf. Nothing is written upon it. If Ryhe's read all of his collection, he might recall that the volume in particular is called The Soul of Magic, by the sorcerer Vargain...

Described by his allies as a tall, very slight man, of possibly Elvish heritage, who seemed to be composed partially of metal...

The Toy Tinker

Jim stops for just a moment. Just what is all this around? But he hasn't the time to linger. He swears, although not too loudly, abandoning his carefulness and running in the direction of the voice, staying mindful only of where he's going so he doesn't trip or slam into something.
    He won't have far to run. Beyond the enormous engine, amidst other strange, indeterminable shapes, is a small depression in the basement floor. It slopes down, as though the concrete were warped, and amidst varied corner clutter squats a tall, ragged shape. A person, or something resembling one.

Two black wings unfurl from its back, spreading wide in a show of dark grandeur. It does not yet turn to face him.

The voice comes, very much not Sticks any longer. "I've fallen so far, Jim..."
    Last edited by Murkus; 2014-05-13 at 11:34 PM.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

14. - Top - End - #224
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

[JACOB THE MUTE]
    (Closed scene with Solidarity)

Living behind locked doors probably isn't uncommon in a place like Riverside, nor are shut-ins who don't ever say a word to anyone. In the case of Jacob, however, such behavior is most unusual. Despite the peculiarity, such has been his life for the past three weeks, though not for lack of trying. The man has literally been unable to speak for about that long, and he's at his wit's end trying to solve the problem. Hoping to avoid any more awkward meetings with people that would think him rude or just plain strange for his silence, he's holed himself up in his home, waiting anxiously for someone to answer the request he recently made for a MERC contract...
    Last edited by ImpSyndrome; 2014-05-13 at 06:09 PM.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

Fourth Tower Compound

Arty leans his head a bit, a universal gesture of "sort of."
    "He roped me into a somewhat simple quest as a price, but what he offered as payment wasn't what Chadwick asked me to retrieve. I didn't like the sound of it, so I told him I'll talk to Chadwick himself about it, and I'll talk to him again if he still wants it. You don't mind if I come back some time, do you?" he asks, only realizing now that they might.

The Toy Tinker

Oh crap, he's officially entered nightmare territory. Jim gulps, standing fast, but his twitching tail might give away his panic. Good thing it's mostly impossible to see from the front.
    "Well, it's a good thing then that you're already equipped for recovering altitude. Now where's my boss?" says the faun, subscribing to the Peter Parker theory of Snark is a Good Substitute for Courage.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

16. - Top - End - #226

[The Toy Tinker]

"Your boss?" Says the angel, standing up straight and facing the corner. "Who. Tell me his name."

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

The Toy Tinker

Jim takes a step back as the figure stands, but manages to stop himself beyond that.
    "Bull****. Only two people are here consistently, so there's no way you'd know what to call me and not know him. Especially not considering you got in here somehow."

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

[Westside Park]

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    "I know what you mean. The stars are so pretty at night. I'd never really looked at them until I no longer needed to sleep." She could enter torpor, but she won't be able to wake herself up very easily and may spend the next few decades pretending to be a corpse. It's something she can use to escape persecution- if she has somewhere safe, dark, and unlikely to be disturbed for a long time. And if she had an organic skin, by the time she wakes up it'll have rotted away completely leaving her very vulnerable.
    "We all make best from what life throws at us," Batu says. "All things considered, it could have been worse."

19. - Top - End - #229
    Barbarian in the Playground

Westside Greenhouse

Elaine nods and says, "Um...I think I might a new place to stay...Any ideas?"

Southside Apartments

Elereshur nods and says, "Good. I would rather not risk being raided by HALO or WATCH. I'm sure you understand. I look forwards to the next delivery."
    Westside Greenhouse

"Somewhere with more sun than here, and more excitement. Let me know if your vines begin to ache or your bark starts molting. And send me a gift basket or perhaps some chocolates once you're established. I don't usually do work for free." Or for negative money, since Shayan actually paid her for the first treatment.
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Slii Arhem View Post
    Westside Greenhouse

"Somewhere with more sun than here, and more excitement. Let me know if your vines begin to ache or your bark starts molting. And send me a gift basket or perhaps some chocolates once you're established. I don't usually do work for free." Or for negative money, since Shayan actually paid her for the first treatment.
    Elaine nods, and says, "I will...Thank you, Shayan." And, with that, she leaves, likely to go be a superhero or something. A few months later, Shayan will likely recieve a gift basket with $300 in it, as well as some chocolates, and a card saying, Thank you again. I've really turned my fortunes around-Elaine

21. - Top - End - #231
    Orc in the Playground

Westside Park

"Yes, it could have been far worse." Gulthadar didn't need to keep Rebecca alive, or give her an artificial skin.

22. - Top - End - #232

[Below Malchenar]

Kanya smiles nervously and says, "Well...I'm very cold...But I'm always cold now...Otherwise, not much."
    [Suncrest Manor]

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    Misaka chuckles, and nods, not sure how to reply.
    WAY TO MAKE THE SITUATION AWKWARD IRENA!
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdEmperor View Post
    "To, uh, in which you would be paid above minimum wage in blood, from, uh, respectable and chaste people." The Burglar adds. "Is that it?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    Sticks blinks once, watching Lord Ryhe, and then places his arm across his chest. He bends in the deepest of bows, his head lowered before the master of Malechenar. "Your generosity humbles me." He turns his head up, one eye opening slightly. "There was, perhaps, one other thing I'd like to investigate, while I've the time."

The tall man turns reluctantly from his conversation with Ryhe and moves toward a shelf. He thought he recognized some of these tomes. He owns a few. The Anatomy of the Soul... The Scrolls of the Disciple of Asmodeous... And... wait...

"This is mine," Sticks says suddenly, plucking a cracked brown leather volume from the shelf. Nothing is written upon it. If Ryhe's read all of his collection, he might recall that the volume in particular is called The Soul of Magic, by the sorcerer Vargain...

Described by his allies as a tall, very slight man, of possibly Elvish heritage, who seemed to be composed partially of metal...
    [Below Malchenar]

"Just tell me if it gets worse then." The captain replies before falling silent as they wait. Eventually a small group of teal robed people arrives at the scene, coming from the city itself rather than inside the gated community. They stop an fair distance from Kanya, carrying a number of strange objects with them such as a small cage made of bones containing some sort of glowing orb. A green scaly woman with an tail rather than feet and fins rather than hair gives her a curious look with her fish-like yellow eyes. She smiles at the fire vampire as she strikes her chin thoughtfully. "I am Zareen, I'm from the fourth tower and here to help. I understand you must have recently turned?"

[Suncrest Manor]

Irena puts on her white t-shirt. "Hanging out eh? You go to the same school or something then?" Irena slouch down on the coach right in between the two. She couldn't place the girl though, not that she had a very good memory for all other kids Eliseo hanged out with. Kids were kinda annoying.

[The Heist]

"Yes! But now you must make the pact and seal the deal or your soul... or whatever will be mine!" The imp exclaims, cackling madly from it's little lock. "Blood! Sign it in blood!"

[Malechenar]

Ryhe knows all the tomes here. He doesn't read them himself obviously but he has people that read for him and he remembers everything they tell him. "Yours? Have you written it?" Ryhe inquires curiously as he glides closer to Sticks. "I can't recall your name being mentioned as the author however..."

Fourth Tower Compound

"Come back? Not at all! But I believe you wanted Kipp to transcribe something, yes?" She points at the slightly frustrated-looking tiefling besides her whom stand ready with a parchment and a quill with an eye, ready to write.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

[Below Malchenar]

Kanya nods and says, "I...I guess so. I was on an expedition to the Frozen Forest in Outside, and I got separated from my group, and then there was this light, and then I froze, and then...and then..." She starts sobbing, "And then I found my expedition after I was like this...And...And...I killed them all...Before I even realized what was happening..."

24. - Top - End - #234
    Pixie in the Playground

[JACOB THE MUTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by ImpSyndrome View Post
    (Closed scene with Solidarity)

Living behind locked doors probably isn't uncommon in a place like Riverside, nor are shut-ins who don't ever say a word to anyone. In the case of Jacob, however, such behavior is most unusual. Despite the peculiarity, such has been his life for the past three weeks, though not for lack of trying. The man has literally been unable to speak for about that long, and he's at his wit's end trying to solve the problem. Hoping to avoid any more awkward meetings with people that would think him rude or just plain strange for his silence, he's holed himself up in his home, waiting anxiously for someone to answer the request he recently made for a MERC contract...
    The teleportation proved useful. From then on, Marcus followed the instructions of passersby in conjunction with the address listed on the contract. Soon he arrived at the house of Jacob the Mute. This city in general made him feel more uneasy than he normally did, which says a bit on its own. However, nobody seemed to near this neck of the woods. The streets didn't have even the occasional pickpocket that lined the busier places. Tense, but focused on his task, Mark smacks the ground next to the door once with his staff, lightly. Small lines form in the cobblestone. He then re-straps his staff onto his back and knocks on the door three times while clearing his throat.

"Anybody home?" he calls out. "I'm here on behalf of MERC. They're telling me you think you're cursed?"

Mark stands and waits on the doorstep, keeping an eye out for anybody else that might be scurrying around the area.
    Last edited by Solidarity; 2014-05-15 at 10:29 AM.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Solidarity View Post
    [JACOB THE MUTE]

The teleportation proved useful. From then on, Marcus followed the instructions of passersby in conjunction with the address listed on the contract. Soon he arrived at the house of Jacob the Mute. This city in general made him feel more uneasy than he normally did, which says a bit on its own. However, nobody seemed to near this neck of the woods. The streets didn't have even the occasional pickpocket that lined the busier places. Tense, but focused on his task, Mark smacks the ground next to the door once with his staff, lightly. Small lines form in the cobblestone. He then re-straps his staff onto his back and knocks on the door three times while clearing his throat.

"Anybody home?" he calls out. "I'm here on behalf of MERC. They're telling me you think you're cursed?"

Mark stands and waits on the doorstep, keeping an eye out for anybody else that might be scurrying around the area.
    It doesn't take any more than that to summon the homeowner. A middle-aged man with dark-red hair and dark circles under his dull brown eyes answers the door, motioning for Mark to enter. Once inside, the man leads him to the living room, which is currently empty save for a desk with a chair and a small stack of books related to vocal anomalies, both physiological and psychological. He retrieves a pen and a pad of paper and begins scribbling furiously. A few moments will pass before he hands over the pad, which reads as follows:

Thank you for responding so quickly. My name is Jacob Vane. As you can see, this problem has had me baffled for some time. I've ruled out just about any physical or mental anomaly known to man, so I'm near-certain that it's a curse of some kind. Do you think you can help me?

26. - Top - End - #236
    Pixie in the Playground

[Jacob the Mute?]
    Quote Originally Posted by ImpSyndrome View Post
    It doesn't take any more than that to summon the homeowner. A middle-aged man with dark-red hair and dark circles under his dull brown eyes answers the door, motioning for Mark to enter. Once inside, the man leads him to the living room, which is currently empty save for a desk with a chair and a small stack of books related to vocal anomalies, both physiological and psychological. He retrieves a pen and a pad of paper and begins scribbling furiously. A few moments will pass before he hands over the pad, which reads as follows:
    After being graciously received, Marcus eyes the books and their titles. He takes the note and reads it a bit faster than most might. His face then lights up in a grin. Handing the note back to the man, Mark unstraps his staff. Taking his bag in one hand, he uses the staff to hit it gently. Three books levitate out from the bag, which appears as though it shouldn't have been able to hold them all.

"My guess is that if it's a curse, it's at least pretty close to one of the silencing ailments found in these." he says gesturing to the floating books. The books open on their own and Jacob might see a glowing symbol along each of their spines as they tilt toward the wizard flipping to certain pages. He begins to pace while looking at the books. "I'd bet it's a hex, but that's just me. We'll start with some pretty common disjunction magic. If it's a bit stronger, or a different type like something you ate that stole your speech we'll move on to more power stuff like serious dispelling. Now let's see..."

Mark stops in front of one of his books, labelled 'Kerrigor's Hexes and Afflictions vol. II'. Mark mutters under his breath as he rereads part of the book to make sure. Then suddenly he juts his staff out towards Jacob. A sigil should appear on his midsection and glow very brightly for about four seconds. As it dims, Marcus retracts his staff, and turns to regard Mr. Vane.

"How we feeling?" he asks, expectantly.
    Last edited by Solidarity; 2014-05-16 at 05:57 AM.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

[Jacob the Mute]

Quote Originally Posted by Solidarity View Post
    After being graciously received, Marcus eyes the books and their titles. He takes the note and reads it a bit faster than most might. His face then lights up in a grin. Handing the note back to the man, Mark unstraps his staff. Taking his bag in one hand, he uses the staff to hit it gently. Three books levitate out from the bag, which appears as though it shouldn't have been able to hold them all.

"My guess is that if it's a curse, it's at least pretty close to one of the silencing ailments found in these." he says gesturing to the floating books. The books open on their own and Jacob might see a glowing symbol along each of their spines as they tilt toward the wizard flipping to certain pages. He begins to pace while looking at the books. "I'd bet it's a hex, but that's just me. We'll start with some pretty common disjunction magic. If it's a bit stronger, or a different type like something you ate that stole your speech we'll move on to more power stuff like serious dispelling. Now let's see..."

Mark stops in front of one of his books, labelled 'Kerrigor's Hexes and Afflictions vol. II'. Mark mutters under his breath as he rereads part of the book to make sure. Then suddenly he juts his staff out towards Jacob. A sigil should appear on his midsection and glow very brightly for about four seconds. As it dims, Marcus retracts his staff, and turns to regard Mr. Vane.

"How we feeling?" he asks, expectantly.
    Jacob watches (silently, of course) and listens intently as Marcus explains the procedure of determining what kind of curse has afflicted him, assuming that it is indeed a curse. He seems a bit nervous watching the man pace, but he does seem to have a plan of attack, which helps to set him at ease. The mention of possibly having eaten something that could steal his speech, though, causes him to flinch; the mere thought gives him goosebumps, and it's likely that he'll think twice about where he buys his produce until he educates himself on such artifacts.

Anyway, there's an uncomfortable pause as Marcus performs some kind of spell. A symbol of sort appears briefly over his shirt for a few seconds, and as it glows, a strange tingling sensation causes the man to shiver slightly. He seems to be slightly sensitive to this particular type of magic, although it appears to be a ticklish sensitivity as opposed to one of discomfort. Unfortunately, when he opens his mouth and tries to speak, no sound is produced, and he shakes his head with disappointment. Still, that was just a single spell, and judging by the number of books held by the spell-caster, he's got more where that came from; Jacob was hoping for a quick and easy solution, but he hasn't given up hope just because the first attempt was a failure, and the sour look on his face soon fades to indicate as much.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

Light's Heart

Stepping up onto the golden stairs with a steel boot, Shoyler begins the ascent into the cathedral.

It was time he went about and started gathering people to fight with him. He'd been living here only a brief time, and had already found more darkness concentrated here than anywhere else he's been. Vampires, werewolves, evil spirits. Even witches. The Nexus was a breeding ground for Black Magic, and foul monsters. It was time someone actually did things about it. The Nexus would never be safe, unless some kind of movement was put in place. Maybe he could convince the Burning Light to join his cause. It was worth a shot, after all.

So, he'll move over to the doorway and knock, not knowing whether or not it'd be considered polite to just enter.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

Fourth Tower Compound

Arty shakes his head. "I thought I did, but like I said, it turns out that he didn't have what I thought I was looking for. I'm sorry, Kipp.
    Thank you for your help, though."
    he says to both of them. "I need to speak with Chadwick, but I can do that on my own. If you're busy I can take my leave."

30. - Top - End - #240

[Malechenar]

Ryhe knows all the tomes here. He doesn't read them himself obviously but he has people that read for him and he remembers everything they tell him. "Yours? Have you written it?" Ryhe inquires curiously as he glides closer to Sticks. "I can't recall your name being mentioned as the author however..."
    Ryhe will recall, then, that the book largely had to do with the dangerous practice of using one's own soul to enhance spellcraft. In many circles it is considered unhealthy at best, and at worst, utterly mad. But on the other hand, what mage could be said to have full possession of his faculties?

"Vargain," Sticks says, once he's opened the cover. He's quite obviously fixated upon the book, even a blind man could hear it trembling in his voice. "Vargain. Was my name, then, that is. I wrote this. And I forgot." That's perhaps the most frightening thought of all. Sticks halts upon a particular page, one depicting what at first appears to be a standard blasting rod, intermingled with small mechanical parts and the depiction of a sparking battery on the shaft. It's tip differs as well - where normally a focus of some sort would be placed such that the mage could channel destructive energy through it, a strange claw apparatus is situated, shaped almost like a jagged umbrella that folds the wrong direction.

"This... enhanced magical items," says Sticks. Not reading from the passage but staring at the wall, trying, trying to remember. "A soul was... placed in the battery. And the item's effect was not just maximized, but multiplied. T-the dial here," He says, pointing at part of the diagram without looking, and only then glancing down. "The dial could control it. But there were settings even I dared not try."

The Toy Tinker

Jim takes a step back as the figure stands, but manages to stop himself beyond that.
    "Bull****. Only two people are here consistently, so there's no way you'd know what to call me and not know him. Especially not considering you got in here somehow."
    "Two? Two. There's but one person here with regularity, and he couldn't even be called one," says the figure, folding his wings, but with such tenseness that they could seemingly fly back out at any moment. "He's less than one. Not quite a something. And yet he could still call me here..." The creature is almost talking to himself at this point, and Jim will see a hand swing up, as though he were rubbing his chin thoughtfully. Clearly this one didn't know his master's true name, so questioning was pointless...

After a moment of silence, the winged figure speaks again, still not having the common courtesy to face Jim. "Sticks is upstairs. Asleep."

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters