New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: [PF] The Pack

1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: [PF] The Pack

Vhaidara's outburst snaps Alistair back to reality.

"Prometheus?", Alistair asks, then his complexion turns sour and he growls, "Prometheus. He and I are going to have a nice long chat when we get back."

Your mentor then turns to you all and begins to explain, "You all weren't the first hybrids. Of course you know this since I came before you. What you didn't know is that I wasn't the only subject, I was just the only successful one. My brother, Artemis, and I became test subjects along with three others for Prometheus' first experiments. Together we were Artemis, I, a sorceress named Rayne, a soldier by the name of Logan, and a cleric by the name of Juliet. The procedure had... complications. We all were able to turn but every time we turned we became a little more feral. Prometheus studied this and created an antidote for this affliction. My brother, Rayne, Logan, and I all took it. However something turned Juliet faster than it turned us, she infected Logan and Rayne with her disease once more and they came under the affliction. My brother, seeing their power, was corrupted by it and gave in to the demon inside of him. I resisted and continue to resist to this day but they all ran off. Prometheus said that the affliction would inevitably consume and kill them but clearly it hasn't... I have a few questions for the old man now..."

With that he storms out of the tower leading you away from Barradin Tor. You see no traces of the hell hounds nor any trace of the owner of the voice. Alistair seems dead set on getting back to Prometheus and heads back to Rivvenheim with haste.
    Crazy people don't know they're crazy. I know I'm crazy therefore I am not crazy, isn't that crazy?

2. - Top - End - #62
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Hearing the fact that there is.. was a another group of experiments, Korbin starts to wonder more about them, deciding to voice the first question that came to his mind he asks,

*Alistair*"So who was what? I mean in our group we got the cat, the rat, the bat and the wolf." he says pointing to himself, Vhaidara, Kali and Juno respectively.
    There is a thin line between genius and madness, and I'm currently using it as a jumprope.

3. - Top - End - #63

MonkGuy

Alistair turns to you confused by the question at first before answering, "The hybrid venom isn't something that Prometheus dictates, it's something that seems to attach itself to you and mold itself to your personality and ability. For example I presume you have the feline hybrid form due to your stealthy profession and innate ability to sneak around. The venom in Juno assumed the form of a wolf due to her strength as a fighter. Vhaidara's personality is one of zealous belief that everyone should wield this power, thus her venom saw fit to take on the form of the infectious rat. Why the venom inside Kali assumed the composition of a bat is beyond me however I presume it had something to do with her past. In my old group, Logan was a bear of immense strength, Rayne was a large spider due to her manipulative ability to weave magic around her opponents, Juliet was a fox as she was a cunning tactician, and Artemis... Artemis was a trickster. His venom seemed unable to solidify a hybrid form for him so he was able to assume many different kinds, including that of a cat, a wolf, a rat, and a bat. Prometheus labeled him as a Panwere."
    Last edited by Oseyerys; 2014-05-28 at 11:59 PM.
    Crazy people don't know they're crazy. I know I'm crazy therefore I am not crazy, isn't that crazy?

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

Juno... has problems.

While still under her rage, she dove down the stairs and hurdled after the retreating hellhounds for a pace, her snaps and howls of triumph only cut short by the unfolding drama between her 'pack' and the mysterious Artemis. She lopes back after the others (and in a friendly way shoulder checks Kobrin for his comment,) panting and shaking her fur with the exhaustion that comes from quitting her maddening strength. Her fur is streaked with blood and guts of her enemies.

If it were not for how succinct she seems to turn off her fury (though that in and of itself may seem frightening) one may worry Juno is already too deeply entrenched by her animal half.

" 'hiff that's true, I suppose my tenacity kept me from getting a bear or a lion outta this," she seems...upset at this? Or maybe the not-so-currently-little hellion was trying to make a joke. Because she doesn't joke about Alistar's brother, nor does she seem too eager to throw questions at him. It's only until after she changes back into her human guise (gruesomely ignorant of the fact her face is smeared with hellhound ichor) that she speaks up again.

"...So are we immune to their madness?"
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

5. - Top - End - #65

MonkGuy

Alistair glances at Juno, "The venom in Logan took the form of a bear because Logan was a big monstrous fighter of immense strength however he wasn't very ferocious. He was a great fighter but had no animalistic drive so it would make sense that he took form of a large, strong, yet lumbering bear. You received the wolf because of your strength, ferocity, and ability to lead. Your feral nature sealed the venom within you to take the form of a wolf. Logan would have never been one to grab a hell hound, haul it over a barricade, and beat it beyond death."

He then considers your question concerning the madness that befell his companions, "Yes. After the first experiments Prometheus modified the procedure and serum so that future hybrids wouldn't become subject to the animalistic drive... No matter how feral they go they will always be able to control it and bounce back. I myself do not assume my hybrid form very often because when I do it takes a lot to come back."
    Last edited by Oseyerys; 2014-05-29 at 09:53 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Putting his mind to work, Korbin considers something the others might not of thought of before now, or if they did haven't brought up.

*Alistair* "Hey, Alistair, the disease was supposed to of killed your brother... but it didn't, right... so what if he's not the only survivor? What if the others that worked with you survived as well? And what if they are also working for the same thing your brother is?" He asks one question one after another in a rapid pace, his mind whirling with scenario after scenario, his brain trying to plan and figure out what they are going to do if they ever encounter his mentors old pals.
    There is a thin line between genius and madness, and I'm currently using it as a jumprope.

7. - Top - End - #67

MonkGuy

Alistair's steps halted for a moment as he pondered your questions then responds ominously, "Then I would say that I may have to pay my old pack a visit fairly soon."

You all head back to Rivvenheim in the dark without incident and soon see the gates of the massive city in the distance. Rivvenheim was originally an elven city of beautiful structure until the War of the Western Expansion in which humans did battle with the elves on the very ground you stand on. Under the shadow of the city the two races fought and, due to the diversity and versatility of humans and their resilience, they managed to thwart the elves and take hold of Rivvenheim. This was all ages ago and since then the elves and humans have made peace and the city is home to all different races now. Were it day time you would all see the familiar white walls and tiered levels of the city. The tiers were strategic to the city since if the city was breached the defenders would always be fighting from higher ground.

You would reach the city in approximately 15 minutes. The gates would be shut for the night but that was of no setback to you for the pack had their own way in and out of the city.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

So, there are more out there, like us? Renegades? I can't wait to tell Corine about this!
    Vhaidara has mostly recovered from the shock of her near death experience. At least, on the surface. Deeper down, she's not hiding her plotting very well.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Anyone who can make a DC 15 Sense Motive can tell Vhaidara is planning something she's not talking about.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

9. - Top - End - #69

MonkGuy

Alistair glances at Vhaidara and grunts, "You really should do a better job of hiding your true intent."

He then leads the group to a section of the wall surrounding Rivvenheim. This wall had a small opening covered by a iron grate for a small stream to run out. This was not a sewage drain, there was a small stream that ran through Rivvenheim and this was the far end of the stream. Alistair walks up to the grate and pushes it out of the way. A while ago you had all snapped the iron grate from it's position in the wall so it could be removed and replaced as you went on missions. Once you are all in the tunnel leading into the city, Alistair replaces the grate.

You all walk in the dark tunnel for a few minutes before you see moonlight shine through a well up ahead. Alistair approaches the well and the ladder you had secured for access to the passage and begins to climb up. Near the top he pauses to make sure there are no guards nearby and vaults the side of the well into the city. You all follow up the ladder in kind until you are all in a courtyard of Rivvenheim.

Rivvenheim was a city of great beauty. Being built by the elves, the interior of the city was constructed with a mixture of stone and nature. The courtyard in which you now stood was in the middle of a garden with flowers growing in rows and beautiful trees surrounding you. Alistair however seems to ignore this as he leads you down streets and sidestreets to the house of Prometheus.

Soon you all reach a house and Alistair walks up knocking three times at the top of the door and then once at the bottom of the door. After a few moments the door is opened by the short portly man you all know as Peter who is an Prometheus' assistant. Peter, seeing Alistair and the rest of you, smiles widely and lets you enter. You all enter the small house into a room with furniture scattered throughout the room. In this room you see Corine, your companion, look up at your entrance.

Spoiler: Dextercorvia
    Show
    You're in.

Alistair looks at Corine and asks, "Where's Prometheus?"
    Last edited by Oseyerys; 2014-06-03 at 10:04 AM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Having had a long day of almost getting killed, Korbin decides that it is time for him to relax a bit, and he can't think of a better way to do that than embracing his feline nature and taking a nice long, relaxing nap.

*All* "Well today was certainly exciting... If anyone needs me I'm gonna go take a nap. "Korbin says yawning the last part of his sentence before walking to a bedroom, stretching his arms out as he does so.

*All* "Wake me up if you need me."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Korbin's going to take a nap, but if there is something important, for the group to hear, he might have gotten a snack before bed, ya'know so he would be awake to hear it.

Also He's going to bed, he's not asleep yet, or near the bed yet so...yeah, if you want to talk with him feel free.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Corine

Corine puts away her greatsword as you come through the door. She is perched on a stool placed so that she can watch the hallway and the front door. *Alistair* Prometheus wanted some time alone, so I let him go the market by himself. I think he planned to take the back alleys to get there. Her wry smile betrays the sarcasm before you have a real chance to worry. Where else would he be. He's been in his lab fretting over all of your safety. He makes awful company when he's worried you know.

*All* Did anyone bring me something to eat? I've been starving all night. She drops off her stool and starts sniffing around her pack. I smell blood, and some of it is yours. Who needs patching up?
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Vhaidara grins at Alistair.
    What are you talking about?

After they arrive, she laughs at Corine's joke.
    Well, Juno and Korbin each had a hell hound flank while we were out, but they weren't nice enough to share.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

And so Faraam slept. Quite cozily too. While the bed wasn't the most comfortable she had ever been on, it was a lot better than the ground she was used too. She snorted quietly, hearing the muffled sounds of talking through the door. The hazy part of her mind registered the familiar tones of the voices, and she slipped back asleep, dreams of the forest playing through her mind.

14. - Top - End - #74

MonkGuy

To All

At Corine's response, Alistair immediately heads in the direction of the last room at the end of the hallway. Before he reaches it however it opens up and Prometheus Vilcan exits the room.

Being somewhat smaller and skinnier, Prometheus was never built to be a warrior. His features showed age and his beard and hair showed signs of graying. He was clearly past his prime and looked pasty as though he hadn't seen the sun in months. Knowing how much time Prometheus poured over his research, it could very well be the case.

Spoiler: Prometheus Vilcan Portrait
    Show

Prometheus sees you all and begins to smile and speak, right before Alistair grabs him by the collar and lifts him slightly off his feet, "Hello Prometheus", he says calmly, "We need to talk."

With that, Alistair holds the scientist and walks back into the lab. Much discussion ensues and every once in a while you hear Alistair raise his voice, one such time being Alistair thundering, "HE IS MY BROTHER!!!!!"

During this time, Kali dismisses herself to one of the bedrooms, claiming to not feel well.

After a few more minutes, your mentor bursts from the room and walks back towards you all.

"Regrettably I need to take my leave of you all", Alistair says as he grabs the door handle, "I have been assigned a new mission. No you can't come with, no I can't stay. Prometheus has more work for you and you are all competent enough to do it without me parenting you about. Just look out for each other. I'm going to try and track down Artemis so we have some inkling of what we're dealing with here. If I can find Artemis, maybe I can find who he really works for. I'll be back as soon as I can."

With that he leaves the house without another word, closing the door behind him. Peter re-opens the door to see which direction he went but by the time he looks outside, Alistair is no where to be found.

After these events, Prometheus emerges from his study and addresses you all in his deep rich voice you are so familiar with, "Ah Korbin, Vhaidara, Juno. Alistair told me of your heroics out at Barradin Tor. Please I would love to hear of your ventures and these hell hounds if you would be willing to share. Any information on our opponent would help me with my work."
    Last edited by Oseyerys; 2014-06-03 at 06:56 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Well, as he no doubt told you, it seems our enemy is your old pack of lab rats.
    Vhaidara jerks her head at the door Alistair left through.
    Oh, and hell hounds breathe fire. Would have been good to know, since we nearly got incinerated.
    At this part she glares at the old man.
    And the hell hounds obeyed Artemis' commands, which means they're either working for Artemis, or Artemis is working for some fiend who can command them. If it is Artemis commanding them directly, it might have something to do with his venom. Any chance he could have found a way to become were-hell hound?
    And now she's looking curious. The idea intrigues her.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

16. - Top - End - #76

MonkGuy

To All

Prometheus looks quizzically at Vhaidara, "Why of course hell hounds can breathe fire! Their beings of the lower planes what in blazes did you expect child? Did you think they would breathe endowments?"

His eyes then soften a bit and he sighs, taking a seat on one of the pieces of furniture in the room, "Yes, it does appear that Artemis is alive and if he is alive, it is entirely possible that the others are alive as well. If the hell hounds followed Artemis' orders it is very likely he is working for the demon. The fact that hell hounds were even there at all reinforces the rumors of any demon in the first place... It is entirely possible that Artemis could have become a were-hellhound. His venom was always unstable which, in turn, made him unstable. This led to his undoing. Tell me, it is very important, how did you know Artemis was there? Did you see him?"

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

A voice from no where taunting Alistair, who then told us about the old pack.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

18. - Top - End - #78

HalflingPirate

Corine

Wait. Artemis has a brother? There are two of them!? And Artie is the more stable of the two? Corine decided that news of her epic battle against the cockroach in their absence would not be well received at this time.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Vhaidara shoots Corine a look.
    No silly. Artemis is Alistair's brother, who went nuts because the old man hadn't gotten the formula right yet.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

20. - Top - End - #80

MonkGuy

To All

"It wasn't an exact science, mistakes were bound to happen", Prometheus says, excusing himself from Vhaidara's statement, "And you say you heard him? But didn't see him? That is interesting... it could only be Rayne. She had the ability to project sound and was quite good at it too. It is then my assumption that you did not encounter one of the old pack, but two."

21. - Top - End - #81
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mourning the loss of his nap Korbin, Looks to Prometheus and speaks,

* Prometheus* "Well, now that my nap has been pushed back, might as well get ask what I was going to ask now, rather than later." He says, pulling his hood down, and then crossing his arms across his chest. "Is there anything you can tell us about the previous pack that might give us an edge if we encounter them again... Wait let me rephrase that... When we encounter them again." He asks, putting emphases on the word 'when', his hazel eyes gaining a hard edge.

*Corine* "Where's Faraam? She needs to hear this." He asks, his eyes losing their edge, as he wonders where the other 'house cat' is.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

It was at about this time that the scarred, but pretty woman stumbled into the room, almost glaring up at everyone. She wore a simple man's tunic that hung to her knees and had slid off of one shoulder. Her hair in disarray, but then, there's nothing particularly new about that. The short, wiry woman eyed the group.

*All* "My nap has been interrupted. I believe I heard shouting. What have I missed?" She finished by taking a bite of a jerky strip. Her voice was flat and gritty with sleep, her words short, simple, and to the point. Classic Faraam.
    Last edited by Sir Dancealot; 2014-06-04 at 01:28 AM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Looking towards Faraam, Korbin greets her then replies to her query.

*Faraam* "Well, good morning sleeping beauty." He says with a hint of amusement in his voice at her disheveled state, before turning serious, "Turns out we aren't the first of the good doctor's experiments, and that his first go with the venom wasn't quite as successful as the second, and now we have a new threat... as if things weren't hard enough, now we have a second group of lycanthropes with much more experience and who knows what to contend with.

24. - Top - End - #84

MonkGuy

To All

Prometheus eyes you all up and answers Korbin's question, "Well let's see now... Logan was the stalwart fighter, Rayne was the magical manipulator, Juliet was the cunning tactician, and Artemis was the trickster. Artemis was my favorite, being a panwere I had high hopes for him, but they weren't meant to be it would seem. I lost most of their files in the fire but I can tell you this; the venom made the person succumb to their hybrid form more and more with each use... if they are still alive, I doubt they have been in their human form in quite some time."

With that Prometheus takes in all of you gathered and seems to remember something, "Oh yes! I have a letter for you all. A letter came while you were gone and I debated sending Corine and Faraam out but decided against it seeing as that would leave me vulnerable. Being a scientist I do have some connections and there is a mage in Rivvenheim who thinks that there is a way to lessen the power of the demon, there is rumor of an artifact deep in the Skymount Caves and I need you to be bodyguards so that the mage can find this artifact", as he talks he runs back into his lab and procures the letter he received.

Prometheus opens the letter, clears his throat, and reads to you all...
    Spoiler: Letter
    Show
    Prometheus,

It has been a while since I have contacted you and I know about your work and your experiments. I however, unlike the ones who destroyed your home, agree with you. I believe something else is going on here than is letting on. The rumors of the demon had me pouring over my old texts until I came across an entry in a journal concerning the Skymount caves. Apparently a miner had found an artifact of divine origin but, not knowing what it was or what it might do to him, he simply left it for collection later. Unfortunately the miner died in a cave in and I suspect the artifact is still in the mine. I would ask that you send some of your... friends to come assist me in this. Anything to combat the demon would be greatly appreciated.

If you, and they, are willing to aid me I would have them meet me by the gates two days time at sunrise by the Northern Gate. I will be waiting as I am going to go with or without their help but it would make it much better if I had it. I am hopeful that they will assist.

Sincerely, G
    Last edited by Oseyerys; 2014-06-04 at 08:45 AM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

I'm still game for a fight. But a few more of those potions wouldn't go amiss.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

26. - Top - End - #86

HalflingPirate

Corine

Why Vhaidara, I believe you are getting awful fond of the good doctor's potions. It's a good thing I will be with you all this time. I can wean you off the bottled magic. Corine furrowed her brow for a moment. *Prometheus*So, four out of five of your first subjects went nuts? Are there any signs we should watch for?
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Faraam gave a brief grunt. *Korbin* "Wonderful." Then tilted her head slightly as Prometheus began to speak, grutning again when he finishes. *Prometheus* "So when do we leave?"

28. - Top - End - #88

MonkGuy

To All

Prometheus scoffs at Vhaidara's comment, "Back in my day we didn't have potions to keep us alive. We used our wits."

Turning to Corine he says, "The old pack was cunning and tricky due to the coordination of Juliet and manipulation of Rayne. Logan was massive and had immense strength, one who would be competent of testing your full power Juno, and Artemis was always deceitful. Of them all, Alistair was the most forthright. I can't tell you exactly what to expect but I can tell you not to trust them at all and, if you do encounter them, never take anything at face value. If they attack your left, keep an eye on your right. These four, and Alistair, composed one of the most deadliest strike forces since the Thieves Guild."

Lastly Prometheus addresses Faraam's question, "You have been instructed to meet my contact at the North Gate tomorrow morning at sunrise. That is when you shall leave. In the meantime feel free to rest or see the city but beware, as I'm sure Alistair told you, of using your hybrid form in the public view."

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Vhaidara laughs.
    Oh, well there go my plans for the evening. Oh well, see you lot tomorrow.
    Vhaidara leaves, deciding it's time to go score some.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Diplomacy to gather information on where she can get some drugs : (1d20+12)[15]

Edit: my bonus is actually +16. Increase result by 4
    Last edited by Vhaidara; 2014-06-04 at 06:51 PM.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

30. - Top - End - #90

MonkGuy

Vhaidara

It is currently around midnight and you happen to know a scumbag or two who would be out on the streets at this time, one of which should be just around the corner. You excuse yourself and exit the house for a moment, you bee-line for the alley behind the house and sure enough, "shaking hands" with a man is your contact, Reevis. For a drug dealer he actually keeps himself clean with his shaven head, trimmed goatee and kept clothes. Reevis owns a merchant shop not too far away but sells drugs at night to make a little extra cash for himself. He is about your size and doesn't look at all like the usual drug addict dealers in the city. This is because he doesn't try is own substance and he doesn't mess with it, which constantly attracts your business. He is trustworthy... as far as drug dealers go.

Seeing you Reevis turns and grins flashing white teeth in the moonlight, "Vhaidara my dear", he says in a slightly exotic accent, "It's been a while... I was beginning to worry you had forgotten about me."

He then produces a bag that he had at his side. He opens it up revealing all the different narcotics he has on him tonight, "What'll it be? Flayleaf? Opium? Scour? Oh, I just got a fresh order of Aether the other day as well."