New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Guardians of the Galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by Shinken View Post
    It definitely means exactly what steamenergizer said though - that he is not going to resemble J'son from the comics.
    Actually, exactly what steamenergizer asked was if Star Lord "wasn't going to resemble J'son at all." And that is not clearly "defined" by Gunn's quote.

Resemble? Well, he might look like him. He might even have the same name. To our knowledge, he is neither cast nor written in full yet. We don't really know. Infinite possibilities minus one or two are still pretty open-ended.
    What we can infer from all available information is that the character won't have the exact same story. That's really all.
    And from what Gunn said specifically in that quote? We can infer even less.
    Luckily GotG has those few additional clues that add up to... as little as we know. We'll learn more. Give it time.
    Last edited by SeeDarkly_X; 2014-08-28 at 12:42 PM.

Fan of roleplaying, fantasy, and sci-fi? Read The Myth Prosaic by Georgia Z.
    The story revolves around a character who plays an RPG & how that experience becomes useful to him in a dystopian future.
    It's free online, presented as a web-serial, with updates 3 times weekly.
    The Myth Prosaic - Book I of The Mythic Chess Set by Georgia Z
    Follow on Twitter - Follow on Facebook

2. - Top - End - #392
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Just read issue 18. Arg! They couldn't just explain it in one issue? We're finally getting to how everyone got back from the cancerverse and what happened to Richard Rider, and they cut it off in the middle of the story! Have to wait another month to find out the rest, you kiddin' me?

3. - Top - End - #393
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudd View Post
    Just read issue 18. Arg! They couldn't just explain it in one issue? We're finally getting to how everyone got back from the cancerverse and what happened to Richard Rider, and they cut it off in the middle of the story! Have to wait another month to find out the rest, you kiddin' me?
    Well, at least you got half the story. I was going to get in the Marvel app yesterday, but I'm ahead of my credit card limit. Gonna have to wait until I get back home next week!

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ogre in the Playground

Drax has no connection to his comic book verison, whey should J'son.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Colossus in the Playground

So, finally saw it. I think that was all the fun I needed for the next, oh, two years or so. It was utterly perfect.

Fun thing about the post-credits scene:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I listened to some of the people exciting. The conclusion was that Marvel had put in Donald Duck as a joke about them being bought by Disney.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

6. - Top - End - #396
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    So, finally saw it. I think that was all the fun I needed for the next, oh, two years or so. It was utterly perfect.

Fun thing about the post-credits scene:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I listened to some of the people exciting. The conclusion was that Marvel had put in Donald Duck as a joke about them being bought by Disney.
    actually, no. it was not a donald duck joke. It is the introduction of Howard the Duck. A legit marvel character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orderic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by swaoeaeieu
    Or maybe, i dont know... adoption?
    Don't be ridiculous. We need those orphans...
    If at any point you notice mistakes in my English, please let me know, I am always looking to improve.

7. - Top - End - #397

Well, yeah. I know that. But pretty much no one else does.

See, I went to see this movie with 8 other giant nerds from my local warhammer/boardgame shop. One of them reads marvel comics. No one but me had an idea who it was. I think for the public at large, it wasn't even a bad assumption.

Also, because Donald Duck is huge over here. There's still several weekly and monthly running Duck comic titles.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Troll in the Playground

Well, yeah. I know that. But pretty much no one else does.

See, I went to see this movie with 8 other giant nerds from my local warhammer/boardgame shop. One of them reads marvel comics. No one but me had an idea who it was. I think for the public at large, it wasn't even a bad assumption.

Also, because Donald Duck is huge over here. There's still several weekly and monthly running Duck comic titles.
    I actually hadn't thought of that. I was told of Howard's appearance well before hand - from the Cinema Snob's midnight movie review - otherwise I might have assumed it was a parody of Donald myself or that it was weird for the sake of weird.

Oddly enough my mother knew who it was supposed to be, I suppose because of the Lucas movie which I have never seen.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    I actually hadn't thought of that. I was told of Howard's appearance well before hand - from the Cinema Snob's midnight movie review - otherwise I might have assumed it was a parody of Donald myself or that it was weird for the sake of weird.

Oddly enough my mother knew who it was supposed to be, I suppose because of the Lucas movie which I have never seen.
    Well, right after the scene, his name is written on the screen...

10. - Top - End - #400

There was a sort of confused cluster around the cinema exit of people asking each other who that was. One guy even replied to that, something along the lines of "obviously, they couldn't actually name him Donald for copyright reasons..."

I mean, this movie is more or less exactly the kind of adventure that European Comics Donald would get involved in. I can see the connection.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2014-08-31 at 03:27 PM.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    I think Lucas has a bounty out on it like the Holiday Special.

There was a sort of confused cluster around the cinema exit of people asking each other who that was. One guy even replied to that, something along the lines of "obviously, they couldn't actually name him Donald for copyright reasons..."

I mean, this movie is more or less exactly the kind of adventure that European Comics Donald would get involved in. I can see the connection.
    Well it is something of the joke... hey look its a cartoon duck in a not cartoon duck universe.

Also Disney once threatened to sue Marvel before they made Howard wear pants.

Clearly now in the Superman and Captain Marvel fashion they need to fight each other.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shinken View Post
    Well, right after the scene, his name is written on the screen...
    It was? I was anxious to leave at that point so I must have missed it.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well... If you want a pretty cohesive and comprehensive encapsulation of what is worth knowing about Howard...
    watch this. (Though he does not spend any time discussing the Marvel/Disney litigation-that-never-was.)

And yes... he also ended up doing a review of the movie too.

The story revolves around a character who plays an RPG & how that experience becomes useful to him in a dystopian future.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Titan in the Playground

The last line of the first link is the best...

15. - Top - End - #405
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    Clearly now in the Superman and Captain Marvel fashion they need to fight each other.
    I think immortal, unstoppable, shotgun proof best duck would trump them both and win the fight.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I think immortal, unstoppable, shotgun proof best duck would trump them both and win the fight.
    Just gonna leave this here.

17. - Top - End - #407

Given that Donald Duck is actually Batman in his off-time... and has saved multiple fantasy worlds from apocalyptic threats... and is a close friend to an inventor who makes Reeds look like a chump and has (amongst other things) a time machine... and a billionaire uncle... and is owed favours by several interstellar alien empires...

He wins.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Dwarf in the Playground

Given that Donald Duck is actually Batman in his off-time... and has saved multiple fantasy worlds from apocalyptic threats... and is a close friend to an inventor who makes Reeds look like a chump and has (amongst other things) a time machine... and a billionaire uncle... and is owed favours by several interstellar alien empires...

He wins.
    I think you're thinking of Darkwing Duck...

19. - Top - End - #409
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SeeDarkly_X View Post
    No he isn't

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ogre in the Playground

Nah, he's thinking of this guy. Most in the US have never head of him, but if you've grown up in Europe in the last fifty years, chances are good you've stumbled across him in Donald Duck comics or (in Germany) the so-called "Lustige Taschenbücher" (literally "funny paperbacks"), I think bi-weekly released collections of stories about Disney characters that over time developed a continuity of their own.

The Donald Duck associated with Paperinik, the Duck Avenger or whatever you may call him ("Phantomias" in Germany) is perhaps uncharacteristically competent; he is terminally poor and frequently unemployed thanks to a combination of rotten luck and an easily riled temper; strangely none of his bad luck plagues him once he dons his cape and mask, he channels his temper in a positive manner and frequently displays almost Batman-equivalent cunning. The parallels don't end there; he frequently relies on gadgets and his fearsome reputation in his everyday work.

Both Paperinik and Darkwing Duck exist essentially to lampoon the same tropes, but one was created by European comic writers and the other for US television.
    Last edited by Silfir; 2014-09-03 at 12:20 PM.
    This signature is boring. The stuff I write might not be. Warning: Ponies.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Dwarf in the Playground

Fair enough... I'm impressed by the obscurity of that one.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Titan in the Playground

Obscure..? maybe to someone not from Europe, as i understand it Donald Duck is a lot bigger over here, and his other persona is rather widely known.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

23. - Top - End - #413
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Obscure..? maybe to someone not from Europe, as i understand it Donald Duck is a lot bigger over here, and his other persona is rather widely known.
    Well as those links suggest, yes being in Europe would avail one to more insight than those here in the U.S., especially when the PK persona was apparently developed there in the late 60's.... And even with a recent (relatively) introduction into American comics, it's not like these are high-profile comic stories in our culture, even if they might be in yours.
    A difference which I find somewhat fascinating... like finding a wall in Mexico devoted to the worship of Pepsi.
    Last edited by SeeDarkly_X; 2014-09-04 at 01:40 AM.

24. - Top - End - #414

Well as those links suggest, yes being in Europe would avail one to more insight than those here in the U.S., especially when the PK persona was apparently developed there in the late 60's.... And even with a recent (relatively) introduction into American comics, it's not like these are high-profile comic stories in our culture, even if they might be in yours.
    A difference which I find somewhat fascinating... like finding a wall in Mexico devoted to the worship of Pepsi.
    I'm not sure how big they are with kids today, but, say 20 years ago? My entire class read these things. I don't think I've ever met a swiss boy my age who wasn't at least somewhat familiar with them. Again, there's several weekly magazines, plus 250-300+ page books coming out once a month. There's tons of Disney material over here.

I was perhaps a bit exceptional in that I had a bookshelf full of them. Guess that makes me a comic book geek as a kid (together with my complete collections of Tintin, Asterix and Lucky Luke, which I had at that age).

Think of it as an evolution of the Carl Barks/Don Rosa/Duck Tales kind of continuity, with hundreds of writers throwing in whatever they can think of without much regard for continuity.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2014-09-04 at 03:39 AM.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Titan in the Playground

That would be very strange because everywhere I went overseas (okay I haven't been to Mexico) it was Coca-Cola exclusively.

Something that I think would blow a lot of American minds just how omnipresent it is without the brand competition we're used to here.

(Not that there were other things to drink I just didn't see much choice for cola, all the local sodas seemed to be fruity ones)

26. - Top - End - #416

Yeah. Cola is the one thing you can be sure to get everywhere. That, beer and water. Pepsi isn't as common and mostly just the cheap alternative. There's a few no-name knock-off discount store brands, but they are pretty undrinkable.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    That would be very strange because everywhere I went overseas (okay I haven't been to Mexico) it was Coca-Cola exclusively.

Something that I think would blow a lot of American minds just how omnipresent it is without the brand competition we're used to here.

(Not that there were other things to drink I just didn't see much choice for cola, all the local sodas seemed to be fruity ones)
    Oh they "drink" Coke in Mexico... "Coca en la bolsa" (Coke in a bag) was VERY common during my time there.

Let me clarify. I do not mean "drink" or "advertise" Pepsi... I mean "deify."

I'm WAY off topic to tell this story... but this is what happened:
    One summer in the 80's, I'm in Mexico on a trip with my school. During a portion of the trip we spent in the area of San Cristobal in Chiapas, we encounter a community... not unlike a ghost town in appearance, but vaguely more populated. Somewhere near the local church was a wall with a painting of the Pepsi symbol on it... the whole of it decayed and decrepit.
    We go into the church, no pews or anything like it... hay strewn all over a dirt floor, alters here and there, candles, a number of people knelling in prayer. We see two women on the floor facing each other, one appearing to be a "priestess" and the other kneeling silently in front of her. The priestess has a live chicken on one side of her, a bottle of Pepsi on the other. She put the chicken under her arm, grabbed it by the neck and broke it. Then with a firm grip on a now dead and spasmodic chicken she proceeded to swat the woman in front of her multiple times while, taking the bottle of Pepsi in her other hand with a thumb over the opening, splashing the soda on the woman while chanting some prayer repetitively.

So... I may have exaggerated my impression of how strange any difference between US and European cultures are, in regard to what comics are more familiar to each... just a wee bit.

(To be fair, I could not tell you if that practice was common then or even occurring now... but it was damn well memorable.)
    Last edited by SeeDarkly_X; 2014-09-04 at 09:46 PM.