New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Guardians of the Galaxy

Nah I think he said the amount too.

The real reason of course is that it would have wasted time on a fight scene that wouldn't have advanced the plot at all and detracted from the actual character development going on then. Internal "logic" is a fallacious notion as far as stories are concerned

Arguably they should have "taken it outside" or something but there are always lots of little things you can nitpick like that.

The other side is that while X hypothetical change may have been more logical, does it make for a better story. You swap the set you have completely different lighting and you have to change up the choreography, thus also arguably the music. Would that work as well? Maybe it would but these decisions have a lot more consequences then they might seem on paper

( I can pick some more substantive ones)

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Eh, all Peter said was "do nothing and you'll be rich" - not the sum, not the action required to obtain it, etc. Nobody eavesdropping would have anything to go on.

Plus they'd be dealing with what looked like 400 lbs. of muscle, a pissed off drunk raccoon with a plasma rifle and a sentient tree - not exactly the kind of group you want to start sh(enanigans) with.
    He DID say the amount - four billion credits. That was what finally calmed Rocket down.

However even in that setting I find it highly unlikely that somebody would be willing to fight the entire group of Drax, Gamora, Groot and Rocket at the time - Rocket was waving around a huge gun and ready to shoot somebody just for insulting him, Drax is a gigantic dude covered in battle scars, Gamora seems to be fairly well known, and Groot is..... Groot.

Even if somebody got a force and started following them, they went straight from there to the Collector - somebody who, given his reputation for ... collecting rare and valuable things, also must have some SERIOUS fear surrounding him to not be robbed on an hourly basis.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2014-08-05 at 09:26 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
    Does Adam Warlock have any kind of connection to Dr Strange to tie the upcoming Strange movie to Marvel Cosmos?
    As it turns out... yes. The Soul Gem is specifically relevant to the two characters. At one point Adam shared souls with Strange. Strange was also a key ally various times in the comics. They appeared at least 3 times together in Doctor Strange's own title.
    Obviously there's a lot of history to delve into... Here is a list of what might be all 250 appearances of Adam Warlock in 616 continuity.
    Last edited by SeeDarkly_X; 2014-08-06 at 01:07 AM.

Fan of roleplaying, fantasy, and sci-fi? Read The Myth Prosaic by Georgia Z.
    The story revolves around a character who plays an RPG & how that experience becomes useful to him in a dystopian future.
    It's free online, presented as a web-serial, with updates 3 times weekly.
    The Myth Prosaic - Book I of The Mythic Chess Set by Georgia Z
    Follow on Twitter - Follow on Facebook

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by JoshL View Post
    Ha! That's awesome! Skills far beyond my own! Speaking of, Hopeless, you asked for it:

Spoiler
    Show

Now if they rebooted that series with Ronan trying to maintain a relationship inbetween his personal problems with the Xandarians... lord that could be comic gold if they could keep the GotG feel!

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
    Now if they rebooted that series with Ronan trying to maintain a relationship inbetween his personal problems with the Xandarians... lord that could be comic gold if they could keep the GotG feel!
    Pushing Daisies was such a great show, I'm so pissed they cut it short and had that BS 'wrap up' episode. So many plotlines unresolved :(

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Bugbear in the Playground

I love Pushing Daisies more than most things! I agree that the wrap up was rushed and tacked on (it had to be; they had just been cancelled and had no money to do it...but the CG company who worked with them did that sequence for free because they loved the show so much). Better than the Dead Like Me movie though.

There were plans for a Season 3 comic, but it was postponed due to DC shutting down the imprint that was going to publish it. I'm sure it's tied up in contracts and licensing, otherwise there's no reason he couldn't take it to IDW or Boom (oddly, Boom does Farscape these days, but the first arc was published on DC's Wildstorm, which was supposed to do Pushing Daisies). Who knows if it will ever see the light of day (but the bits I've seen were wonderful).

There were also talks this year of a musical. I'm not a fan of musicals in the least, but I'd go see it.

But, hey, maybe in a world where a film about a talking raccoon and his tree bodyguard is a hit, Pushing Daisies might get another chance!

7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    Mind - the gem from Loki's Scepter (while not outright confirmed, the fact that the scepter was the only thing that could break the barrier around the Tesseract, a confirmed Infinity Gem, is fairly hard confirmation that it contained an Infinity Gem of its own, and given the ability it seems to have to control and manipulate otherwise very strong minds points to it being the Mind gem).
    I am almost certain that, in Avengers, Dr. Selvig says outright that the scepter was created from Tesseract technology; the only thing that can pierce the Tesseract's barrier is something derived from it.

I mean, he could be wrong, but...
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    I am almost certain that, in Avengers, Dr. Selvig says outright that the scepter was created from Tesseract technology; the only thing that can pierce the Tesseract's barrier is something derived from it.

I mean, he could be wrong, but...
    FWIW, Kevin Feige has specifically stated that Loki's scepter is not supposed to be the Mind Gem, but if they can't put it in anywhere else then they'll retcon it to be so.

(After all, it was given to him by Thanos, why would someone who wanted the infinity gems give one to someone else on the chance that he'll get a different one back?)

9. - Top - End - #189
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    (After all, it was given to him by Thanos, why would someone who wanted the infinity gems give one to someone else on the chance that he'll get a different one back?)
    Or none at all as the case turned out. But yeah, you make an excellent point.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    FWIW, Kevin Feige has specifically stated that Loki's scepter is not supposed to be the Mind Gem, but if they can't put it in anywhere else then they'll retcon it to be so.

It's called an investment. And a pretty reasonable one considering that Loki did in fact seize the Tesseract and open the portal. It wasn't really Loki's fault the Chitauri got their butts kicked by the Avengers. Also, even if Loki failed..... so what? Thanos has to retrieve the Gauntlet itself from Asgard at some point anyway, no reason he couldn't pick up the Scepter and Tesseract at the same time.

Until he actually is ready to use the Gauntlet, Thanos really doesn't NEED all the gems in his possession, he just needs them at a place that he can seize them quickly when he's ready. He's trying to assemble the Infinity Gauntlet, not start using the power of one or two gems and getting the entire galaxy to rise against him.

Also - as far as I know, they have simply declined to official confirm or deny that the Mind Gem is in the Scepter. They haven't officially said that it is NOT, they've simply declined to state that it is.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2014-08-06 at 11:11 AM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

It's called an investment. And a pretty reasonable one considering that Loki did in fact seize the Tesseract and open the portal. It wasn't really Loki's fault the Chitauri got their butts kicked by the Avengers. Also, even if Loki failed..... so what? Thanos has to retrieve the Gauntlet itself from Asgard at some point anyway, no reason he couldn't pick up the Scepter and Tesseract at the same time.

Until he actually is ready to use the Gauntlet, Thanos really doesn't NEED all the gems in his possession, he just needs them at a place that he can seize them quickly when he's ready. He's trying to assemble the Infinity Gauntlet, not start using the power of one or two gems and getting the entire galaxy to rise against him.
    Except of course one is on Earth and the other in Asgard. And he doesn't need the glove at all either.

The general point though is sound. There's any number of reasonable ways to retrieve the Scepter quickly because its just in mere mortal Earthling hands. I would favor that since he had it in the first place, he just installed a recall function in the Scepter to Einstein-Rosen Bridge it to his side whenever he damn pleases. Make a decent stinger scene.

Plus Marvel apparently has a bunch of movies in the pipe to play though I'd probably hate for them all to be related to this story arc there's ample room to deal with the remaining three and swap around ones we know about.

Macguffin chaos!

Also - as far as I know, they have simply declined to official confirm or deny that the Mind Gem is in the Scepter. They haven't officially said that it is NOT, they've simply declined to state that it is.
    Yeah I went looking at can't find anything sourced. I think it really just comes down to everyone collectively believing having two mind controlling items is redundant as hell and assuming from there.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

I do wonder how exactly you could get mind-control powers by the Space Gem + applied phlebotinum.

EDIT: answering my own question, what if the "mind-control staff" was actually opening a mini portal to Thanos, who gets the call and responds by sending a tiny bit of Mind Gem juice through the conduit?
    Last edited by CarpeGuitarrem; 2014-08-06 at 12:41 PM.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    Except of course one is on Earth and the other in Asgard. And he doesn't need the glove at all either.

The general point though is sound. There's any number of reasonable ways to retrieve the Scepter quickly because its just in mere mortal Earthling hands. I would favor that since he had it in the first place, he just installed a recall function in the Scepter to Einstein-Rosen Bridge it to his side whenever he damn pleases. Make a decent stinger scene.

Plus Marvel apparently has a bunch of movies in the pipe to play though I'd probably hate for them all to be related to this story arc there's ample room to deal with the remaining three and swap around ones we know about.

Macguffin chaos!

Yeah I went looking at can't find anything sourced. I think it really just comes down to everyone collectively believing having two mind controlling items is redundant as hell and assuming from there.
    The Gauntlet is necessary to actually channel the power of all six gems. While Thanos doesn't need the Gauntlet until the very end, he will need it if he actually intends to harness the power of more than one at once.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

14. - Top - End - #194
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    I do wonder how exactly you could get mind-control powers by the Space Gem + applied phlebotinum.
    Yeah, the confirmation of the Tesseract as the Space Gem kind of torpedoed my original theory on the subject.

My theory was that the Tesseract was the Power Gem, and it, and things based on it, were amplifiers. Loki got mind control because he was already a trickster. Hawkeye became an unstoppable commando deathmonster who could fight all of SHIELD to a standstill, and Selvig's science was boosted to crazy levels.

My second theory was that the staff was actually a Mind-Gem offshoot, like the way that HYDRA's weapons were based on the Tesseract and the Kursed seemed to be based on the Aether. As such, it had relatively weak power (I mean, a good hit to the head could cure its mind control and it didn't work on people unless you could stab them in the heart) but followed the basic design. But that doesn't work for it piercing the Tesseract, unless it was hybridized from multiple gems.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

There's also the possibility that Selvig was just wrong. He's only ever worked with one Infinity Gem before, so it's possible that when he encountered the Scepter (Which contains/is derived from the Mind Gem) and saw some similar readings (infinity Gem stuff) he thought he was dealing with the same source.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

The Gauntlet is necessary to actually channel the power of all six gems. While Thanos doesn't need the Gauntlet until the very end, he will need it if he actually intends to harness the power of more than one at once.
    You ever notice how Thanos' classic outfit has identical gloves? And I never read this comic but its popped up in my photosearch. Or just almost complete the dearth of information on where that glove came from?

And on the movie end of course nothing acknowledges the spiffy prop in Thor and given that we've had our big exposition speech on the Gems now wouldn't that have been the time to point out such a thing existing to keep the arc going?

Now they want to make the glove important more power to them, but don't wed yourself to that single options less you just create a fake problem for yourself should they ignore the glove entirely.

17. - Top - End - #197

Now they want to make the glove important more power to them, but don't wed yourself to that single options less you just create a fake problem for yourself should they ignore the glove entirely.
    Thought based on GotG:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ronan slapped the Infinity Stone he had onto his hammer and it stuck itself there. Maybe Thanos doesn't need the gauntlet by the same token and can just slap the stones to the back of his gloved hand?
    Digo Dragon - Artist

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

It kinda makes some sense that the Tesseract is the space gem given that a tesseract is a 4d shape.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

19. - Top - End - #199
    Dwarf in the Playground

You ever notice how Thanos' classic outfit has identical gloves? And I never read this comic but its popped up in my photosearch. Or just almost complete the dearth of information on where that glove came from?
    The Gauntlet was constructed by Thanos, so sure... he made it match his existing gloves. Why not?
    I don't event know the exact way in which it was manifested, but one might surmise he could have used the utter awesome power of the Reality Gem in order to fabricate the object to his need. Or any other method made simple with the shear scope of power he had.
    For some more on the history of the Gauntlet, click here.
    Various links attached within can help broaden the story.

(Can't see the image you linked in "never read this" {403 Forbidden} so not sure what you've referred to there.)

Fan of roleplaying, fantasy, and sci-fi? Read The Myth Prosaic by Georgia Z.
    The story revolves around a character who plays an RPG & how that experience becomes useful to him in a dystopian future.
    It's free online, presented as a web-serial, with updates 3 times weekly.
    The Myth Prosaic - Book I of The Mythic Chess Set by Georgia Z
    Follow on Twitter - Follow on Facebook

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SeeDarkly_X View Post
    The Gauntlet was constructed by Thanos, so sure... he made it match his existing gloves. Why not?
    I don't event know the exact way in which it was manifested, but one might surmise he could have used the utter awesome power of the Reality Gem in order to fabricate the object to his need. Or any other method made simple with the shear scope of power he had.
    For some more on the history of the Gauntlet, click here.
    Various links attached within can help broaden the story.

(Can't see the image you linked in "never read this" {403 Forbidden} so not sure what you've referred to there.)
    Well kinda my point was is that as far as I can tell from having read the Infinity Gauntlet comic the glove is essentially incidental, its an iconic bit of imagery of course but its never been a Macguffin solely in its own right. Its been awhile for me mind you but there's a recent trade of it around if anyone wants to pull that out. What I haven't read is the Thanos Quest where he puts them all together though the wiki there claims we owe Thanos even for the name the Infinity Gems instead of the Soul Gems. Good thing too I can't imagine saying Soul Soul Gem all the time. But this account would seem to have some supporting evidence that popped up (scroll down) for me.

Of course I learned long time ago to not put all that much trust in fandom wikis in general. Note how the opening paragraph on the item is not itself sourced? While they're most often generally okay, they can be very wrong or have what the fan writing it speculated presented as clearly stated fact. I learned independently before even that to not absolutely trust anything said about comics unless I read them for myself, which is understandable there is too much material from Action Comic #1 onward for people to collate so you end up with a summary then subject to the telephone game and what's "true" has a way of drifting over the years.

Quick unrelated example how many times has Jean Grey died? And when? Now how many times would you think from the way people talk about her? Does the actual number justify her position as the poster child of Comic Book Death?

But back on topic. This is why I make the point the glove is not in and of itself necessary or powerful, thus there's no actual need for the movie to raid Asgard for it and maintain fidelity to the basic story. Because its near as I can tell, just Thanos' freaking glove. But hey maybe' there's a throwaway line in a panel that I'm missing, and I've just been a missing other details over the years. I would certainly like a glove to be involved, the cover art for The Infinity Gauntlet #1 is pure awesome and worth seeing on film. The event itself ain't half bad either though has its warts. I probably enjoyed the Capcom game more, but then again me and my friend managed to power through it button mashing for the PROTON CANNON on like only three quarters in a Hardees. You can't replace an experience like that.

Final Note: Grabbed the pic from this forum thread, its shows Iron Man evidently integrating the Gems into his armor. I did not read the thread I just nabbed the pic from google first.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Troll in the Playground

So I watched the movie yesterday, I'm genuinely relieved that I did since the 3D on the movie was fantastic from the opening credits to the end, and after having watched a dozen movies where it's been merely okay or downright unnecessary it kind of renewed my acceptance of the technology as a film making mechanic.

As to my opinion on the movie, I greatly enjoyed it. I would put this and The Lego Movie as my top two Christ Pratt movies of 2014.

I have this sort of antipathy recently geared towards the general direction of action-y movies where they're going through the motions of setting up the big-dumb climax with 30-40 minutes of straight action after a lot of tedious stuff. This, however, averts that. It has this strong connective tissue between set pieces that I was not once anxiously waiting for the next scene let alone the big battle at the end. I was more than happy having the characters play off one another and seeing what's going on in this universe of eclectic weirdness. I was anxious regarding Rocket and Groot -- that they'd merely be the sort of cliched comic relief that Lucas was attempting with Jar Jar -- but no, they've got such surprising humanity to them that it was easy to empathize with them.

On another note, I've seen a lot of criticism over Ronan being a weight on the movie, but to me he was like Ming the Merciless in the Flash Gordon movie. He was completely straight as this big bad evil overlord character, and I think the movie needed that in contrast.

Overall, I think this could be an awesome movie franchise in its own right even without the MCU. I don't know how I'd rate it against the Marvel movies because of that, it's like comparing Indiana Jones to Star Wars. It's certainly the best space opera I've seen since Serenity, and I don't know if I'd like that movie nearly as much had it been a standalone thing. I can say 10/10 it was the best Howard the Duck movie ever.
    Last edited by Kitten Champion; 2014-08-06 at 04:43 PM.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    As to my opinion on the movie, I greatly enjoyed it. I would put this and The Lego Movie as my top two Christ Pratt movies of 2014.
    I see what you did there.
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Did anyone feel like the Star Wars Disney Ride when they did they prison escape?
    The sequence was just like that when they got in that flying room.
    Also I want more Duck. Those who watched know what I mean.

On a side note, who is up for a new Squirrel Girl movie (I hope it comes soon).

24. - Top - End - #204
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

It's kind of funny to see all these girls gushing over that idiotic shoe-shiner from Parks and Recreation.

I dunno if there can ever be a Squirrel Girl movie, since she's technically a mutant and mutants are basically verbotten in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Plus, if Guardians of the Galaxy is obscure, then the Great Lakes Avengers is REALLY obscure.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2014-08-08 at 12:01 PM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

Is she a mutant? That is news to me.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Its really just a matter of money I'm sure presuming she'd even be snared by the X-men deal at all. They'd have to really specify "mutants" in addition to "X-men characters" because she's never been an X-anything. I don't trust much reporting on AFAIK not publicly released contracts. Wanda and Pietro got something worked out and either Ronan went through a loophole or Marvel didn't feel like the Badoon were worth any money but he was.

That said I'm not sure the MCU is quite the place for an outright slapstick self-parody movie... yet.
    Last edited by Soras Teva Gee; 2014-08-08 at 12:37 PM.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

Well, she isn't X-Men affiliated. That might exempt her. We don't know the exact terms of the agreement between Marvel and FOX, just that Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch were able to be used by both, so long as Qs and SW didn't have any X-Men ties (their parentage) mentioned by Marvel, or their Avengers ties mentioned by X-Men.

That said I'm not sure the MCU is quite the place for an outright slapstick self-parody movie... yet.
    I dunno. Guardians got really close sometimes.
    Last edited by CarpeGuitarrem; 2014-08-08 at 12:36 PM.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Ayup.

So a Squirrel Girl movie is probably out of the question, but an appearance on Agents of SHIELD? Totally plausible. (Guess I should start eating crow.)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/f...he-screen.html
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2014-08-08 at 12:37 PM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    I dunno. Guardians got really close sometimes.
    Close only counts when you're blowing up moons.

30. - Top - End - #210

Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    So a Squirrel Girl movie is probably out of the question, but an appearance on Agents of SHIELD? Totally plausible. (Guess I should start eating crow.)
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/f...he-screen.html
    I'm not sure how I should feel about that. It could be pretty funny, but I also wonder if it'll be a bit too funny for AoS?

Close only counts when you're blowing up moons.
    Please put that bomb back in the box.
    Digo Dragon - Artist