New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 44 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Pub: Off-topic chat for forum gamers

I just wanted to say I'm going to be back on a low commitment level, and also apologize for not finishing my game. Sorry to all involved, though I think restarting it will be impossible by this point.

/wave.
    Thanks goes to Vampire Pumpkin for my awesome avatar!

Formerly known as The Fiery Tower Formerly known as Catseye2121.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ogre in the Playground

Back before the board change that took away the last activity feature, I think it was pretty common for people to use it as a means of "proof" in these games. I've been rather surprised it hasn't seen much use yet since coming back...

Also, less paranoid. Definitely less paranoid.
    Long live the Ceikatar!

Here Be Dragons

3. - Top - End - #333
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

I use invisible purely because I never log out, and I would rather not look like I'm always available.

Finally forced me into getting one of these.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hello, can I get some feedback on this game set up?

Sailor Moon, Werewolf Adaptation.

Rules are standard werewolf unless otherwise noted.

Roles

Spoiler: Team Sailors
    Show
    Rei Hino/Sailor Mars – Baner: This fiery shrine maiden is known for occasional visions and acts of unusual powers. So, when she sells you a protective charm, it usually works. As Sailor Mars, she uses fire to do battle with the enemies that come to take human energy.

Ami Mizuno/Sailor Mercury –Seer: The smartest girl in school with an IQ that’s supposedly 300. In spite of that, she doesn’t have many friends, perhaps her poor sense of fashion is the reason for that. As Sailor Mercury she provides intelligence on the enemy and mist to hide the sailor scouts.

Citizens- Villager: The people of Toyko, some mean and some kind. They just want to live their lives; it’s not their fault that every sale and special event are Ackbar’s(aka Traps!)

Spoiler: Team Dark Kingdom
    Show
    Jadeite- Special Wolf: One of the Four Generals of the Dark Kingdom, it is your job to obtain energy for Queen Beryl. With the help of your youmas and the follies of human nature that should be easy enough.

Chooses his team, and if he is the last one standing, can use ‘Last Ditch Plan’ silencing one person per night until he either wins or loses.
    Youma-Wolf: Chosen by Jadeite to run the numerous schemes of his, they are those who drain human energy.

Any thoughts on issues to clear up before running it?

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ogre in the Playground

Only two of the actual sailors, and neither are sailor moon (though I guess she would be underpowered) and tuxedo mask?
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.

6. - Top - End - #336

There were only three sailors during jadeite's run. Sailor Moon serves as the town's lynch, and I'm thinking about Tuxedo. He's more a neutral role but I'm not sure on what to give him.

7. - Top - End - #337

There's not much to comment on. Some players inherently dislike a silencing mechanic, and it sometimes runs into problems with people having full PM boxes and not getting the message that they were silecned. It might be good to add some sort of anti-Seer+Baner mechanic, some combination of fool, alpha, and/or devil can reduce the chance that the game turns into "wait patiently for the Seer to say whom to lynch next" for half its duration.

Technical Admin of the Minecraft server. Whitelist is here; put your name there and post it in the thread.
    The overly long monstrosity that is my extended signature lies here.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Grue Bait View Post
    Good game, guys. Sapo, you are just too good for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    And by the way, your puzzle was one of the most interesting ones I've solved in a while. Kudos.

8. - Top - End - #338

Well, it fits the show, Jedite wasn't very good at stopping the sailors until he personally took action, and he only did that twice. Well, maybe I should made Jedite an alpha to help balance things out.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Ogre in the Playground

Quick, very important question. Is this the original or the new sailor moon?
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.

10. - Top - End - #340

Original, the new one hasn't revealed enough yet. Besides the original is a classic.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ogre in the Playground

Hello everybody!

I'm here to give you some news about a new game that I'm coming up with.

The upcoming game:

Dwarven Strongholds (name not final)

In this game, each player starts out with a lonely little dwarven unit. Players must find materials (gold and ore), acquire tools (along with weapons and armor), and expand their civilization. It is kind of a like a Dwarf Fortress game that is simplified so that it can be played here in the forum.

Spoiler: Visual Example
    Show
    ~ ~ ~
    ~ 1 ~
    ~ ~ ~

So, what do you guys think?

12. - Top - End - #342
    Titan in the Playground

Sounds cool. Especially good for people like me who would play Dwarf Fortress if they weren't too lazy to figure out how to even farm mushrooms without flooding everything, but love the concept.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I'd give it a try, but I'm afraid to give you any more input than that, since me trying to give input would just devolve into me asking you a bunch of questions until you explained the entire rule set to me.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hey all, I have a dilemma. I love werewolf games. I like watching them, and I'd like to play more of them. But the few that I've played have convinced me of a thing that makes it harder for me to want to join more: I really hate playing as a villager. I don't have the know-how or the analysis skills to pull off a good lynch, and I always feel useless as a villager. I guess I like either being told what to do or working solo, but being told what to do doesn't mean much when you can't do anything of use. What should I do? Should I just get over it and join some?

15. - Top - End - #345
    Pixie in the Playground

Feudal Japan is an All Powerrole game, no plain villagers in it. You should start by joining that, it's still recruiting for a day or so.

And Careless is also an All Powerrole game, and is just a mass of confusion for everybody, so you can jump in that one and flail hopelessly with the rest of us.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tydude View Post
    I actually have two theories on why you're doing this, but neither make much sense and you would have to be insane to try them. It seems you are insane, which is great for my theories.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZarethG View Post
    I see your point, Internet Flea. However, I don't retract my assessment of your sanity.
    What kind of paranoid mind sees that as something else. ~ The Narrator, during Stranded in Space.

(Sugar Shock avatar by Dirtytabs.)

16. - Top - End - #346

Can you link me to one of your villager games so I can see you in action? Much easier to get a clear picture that way.

Technical Admin of the Minecraft server. Whitelist is here; put your name there and post it in the thread.
    Spoiler
    Show
    And by the way, your puzzle was one of the most interesting ones I've solved in a while. Kudos.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sadly, no. The last time I played a WW game on this forum was...2010? I'm unsure. They've all been lost to the void is the point. If an archive exists, I'll check it.

EDIT: I really need to sleep as I have a Calculus test tomorrow, but I'll look more closely after school tomorrow.
    Last edited by Vwulf DeMarcus; 2014-10-24 at 12:01 AM.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vwulf DeMarcus View Post
    Sadly, no. The last time I played a WW game on this forum was...2010? I'm unsure. They've all been lost to the void is the point. If an archive exists, I'll check it.

EDIT: I really need to sleep as I have a Calculus test tomorrow, but I'll look more closely after school tomorrow.
    There is indeed an archive, going back to at least 2006. First page of Werewolf Central, a few posts down. A lot easier to find games if you can remember the name, of course.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I actually have two theories on why you're doing this, but neither make much sense and you would have to be insane to try them. It seems you are insane, which is great for my theories.
    I see your point, Internet Flea. However, I don't retract my assessment of your sanity.
    What kind of paranoid mind sees that as something else. ~ The Narrator, during Stranded in Space.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Vwulf played in:

Invasion of the Zombies: Day of the Dead
    Hunting of the Snark WW
    Fate III/Final - HWWITGT!
    Discworld II
    Warcraft: Reign of Chaos
    World Espionage II: You Only Have To Do The Impossible Twice
    Universal Smash Bros 4: Brawl on!
    MtG: Planeshock WW Game Thread
    Fears 3: Full Circle
    SEU 5: A Mother's Arms
    Fate/StayNight II: UBWs
    OOTS Werewolf-GAME ON! - Wait, no, narrated that one.
    Thursday Next WW I: The Eyre Affair

And then the post history runs out despite there being earlier posts...

Vwulf was using the screen-name Paul Maud'dib at the time. Someone else can grab the role assignments.
    The BareFoot Programmer

20. - Top - End - #350
    Dwarf in the Playground

I also played (and this one is apparently my ONLY one as a villager that I could find) in Convoy V: Autobots, ROLL OUT! under the screen name NinjaXeq.

EDIT: No, actually in SEU 5 I was also a villager. And in Fate/Stay Night II.
    Last edited by Vwulf DeMarcus; 2014-10-24 at 06:33 PM.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Sprig
    Guest in the Playground

I prefer villager. If you can get yourself nailed instead of a power role you have done your job right!

22. - Top - End - #352

From looking at Convoy and Fate, you seem to feel like you're not sure what to say or where to begin. For this I recommend what I do whenever I'm not sure what to write on an essay: Start by writing the basics. Take a votecount, maybe include crossed-out votes for a more complete picture, maybe even collect a full record of all votes in the game. From this, describe each player's voting pattern in a few sentences. If something piques your interest, look up that player's posts and see what they're saying. Summarize. Even if you can't figure out any good analysis, you're helping town just by reducing the workload of other analysts, making information more easily accessible.
    For when you vote, it's okay to say that it's just a feeling, but this leaves your fate into whatever feelings others have; you take little control when you do not elaborate on your opinion. To take steps to control your fate, I recommend showing your logical reasoning behind your posts. How? Again, start by summarizing. List all the targets you think are under consideration (don't forget to include a "none of the above" option, or options for groups of people like "a random inactive person"), list the arguments for and against each candidate, and say why you think the reasons for lynching your candidate outweigh the reasons for other candidates. Maybe from this process of digging into the reason you'll realize you don't have a good reason, and change your mind. At the end though, you now have a reasoned, if not necessarily persuasive, argument. You are no longer a faceless bandwagoner, and now have a voice of your own. It is this voice which analysts can read to determine your innocence.
    Start by being methodical. Make lists of information, and these lists will teach you how to identify what is important. That is the first step to becoming an analyst.
    Last edited by Saposhiente; 2014-10-25 at 01:35 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #353
    Troll in the Playground

The bare minimum you need to do to be an useful villager is to read what's been posted, choose someone to vote for and then vote for that person while adding at least something to answer the question "Why did I vote for this person?".

To actually have fun as a villager, I tend to find out it pays off to be more active and aggressive. It doesn't matter if you're wrong, as long as you tried to be right. It doesn't matter if you're killed, because you're a villager. But going out there and finding the bad guys without fancy powers is an awesome feeling.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, vanillagers expendablilty is their greatest strength over other roles. Wolves and most common power roles have to mind some kind of defense so they make it to tomorrow. A vanilla doesn't need to heed such petty conceptions as whether they'll be alive next week. They want the truth now, and they're going to get it. Besides analysis,if you don't have any ideas, you can always press some people until you get some or to try to make a wolf flinch Even if you don't learn anything, someone else might note a factual or tonal inconsistency for later.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saposhiente View Post
    Maybe from this process of digging into the reason you'll realize you don't have a good reason, and change your mind.
    I for one recommend never changing your mind, no matter how bad you find your own reasoning.

Also, if you're at a loss for anything to say, you can always make a spreadsheet, listing people's votes and the order they were made (the few times I've made one, the order of votes was more useful than just who they were for), and see if you can find someone continually voting late, or two people voting the same way a lot.
    Last edited by Internet Flea; 2014-10-25 at 09:47 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #356
    Pixie in the Playground

Hey everyone,
    I just wanted to drop by and say Hi . I'm not sure if any of you remember me, it's been years. I have fond memories of the games I played here and I'm thrilled to see the forum still going strong. I was thinking maybe about jumping into a few games, but sadly I have a lot less time than I used to. Anyways, give me a shout if you have something.
    Previous Wins
    Spoiler
    Show

Sharn, the Broken city - Serial Killer (neutral)
    The Demons - Vampire (neutral)
    Universal Smash Bros 4 - Luigi (mason)

Spoiler
    Show

Trophies (deserved or not)

27. - Top - End - #357
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Hey everyone,
    I just wanted to drop by and say Hi . I'm not sure if any of you remember me, it's been years. I have fond memories of the games I played here and I'm thrilled to see the forum still going strong. I was thinking maybe about jumping into a few games, but sadly I have a lot less time than I used to. Anyways, give me a shout if you have something.
    Hi Oddity. It's been a while. Glad to see you're doing ok.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

I remember you.

Finally forced me into getting one of these.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Troll in the Playground

Hello everyone. I will try to update Werewolf Central sometime this week. Sorry for the extensively long delay. I think the change to tables and my recent bad record of narrating has driven me to not truly enjoy it as much as I used to. Sorry.

Lexington III, my Brute. Inner Circle. ! Melody

30. - Top - End - #360
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

It's good to see you're still around.

You shouldn't let these things get you down. Look at the game I'm currently running. I think once it's over there will be more pages about how unbalanced it was than there was actual playing.