New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 44 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Pub: Off-topic chat for forum gamers

Quote Originally Posted by Peebles View Post
    Very it seems, as it's still saying it's full.
    It... Appears what I meant to delete did not actually get deleted, despite having shown as being so. Odd.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Dwarf in the Playground

In an upcoming game of mine, while there is a mafia-versus-village aspect to the game, the primary focus of the game is immersion, and, mini-games, shops, and side goals.

Each player in the game will be granted the opportunity to play mini-games for free, in order to win prizes. The total number of participants in each free game will be limited to a small number, chosen from whoever is available, whoever volunteers, and whoever was not a participant in the free game which occurred immediately prior. Even if you don't participate in the free games, you'd be granted a small daily monetary earning for use in shops or games. There will also be more valuable mini-games-for-pay which you'll have to cough up some earnings or winnings in order to play, but at least, you can freely choose to participate in those, and the maximum participation level is unlimited. Prizes given out will be more substantial for the pay games, but very valuable prizes can be won by the free games as well.

Monetary pieces won via games or accumulated by other means can be spent at shops, where you can purchase the prize of your choosing.

Items you gain from winning games or purchasing via shops can be used for protection from harm. One of the reasons the mafia-versus-village aspect is secondary to the game is because each player in the game will begin with more than one health.

It is possible to do so well in mini-games, side-quests, and purchase stuff in shops, which improves your health or defenses, such that you become difficult to kill. Which is of obvious use in the mafia-versus-village aspect.

Therefore, it is possible to prolong your participation in the overall game by being a contestant in the mini-games. The evil parties will have means of competing with the village even if they aren't causing much damage at first, so don't worry about balance. It's also possible for the evil parties to win things via mini-games which assist them in their goals.

You will win, earn, or purchase items which add to your defenses, offenses, or health, or give you other abilities.

The game is designed to be a long term game, the length of which is significantly longer than your usual games on here. If you were to join, expect a commitment of a couple of months.

Know that at the end of such a theoretical game, there will be all-out carnage, rounds where many players will die and the game will be resolved via rapid and bloody means.

The game has a definitive end point, so do not let the slow pace of initial deaths fool you. The expected death curve goes from very few to very high in a rather sudden and jarring way toward the end. What was once all fun and games suddenly becomes an apocalyptic battle of epic proportions. One that the evil parties will be well prepared for if you do not keep them in check.

Participation in some events will be mandatory, but they will not be particularly time-consuming. Just know the outcome of those events, if one is inactive, will usually be negative.

Ambitious players looking to immerse themselves even deeper in the game can volunteer for additional "mini-games" which take more than one round to resolve. These side goals will require an investment of time and thought and monetary units, but will be rewarding, and fun. If you complete your side goal before you die or the game ends, you will be counted as a winner, albeit not the grand prize winner if your team lost.

The nature/core mechanic of most of the games will be guessing games, as is the core mechanic of mafia/werewolf in general- you guess from a list of persons to see if you're correct. In the mini-games, you will also be given a set of options, and you will guess which ones are correct. In other games, you will add a random component, like % chance to hit. The longer the odds of hitting something, the better the result if you manage a decent roll.

You will know before you play if the game is guessing-only, or guessing-and-dice, so you can be assured what kind of gambling you'll be doing. All games will be winnable by correct guesses, there are no games where the set-up is fraudulent or winning is impossible.

Understanding this is a longer-term, immersive game, but with otherwise very simple and easy to understand interface, let me know here if you'd be interested in playing.

Easy interface:

The rules of each game will be announced directly before play is set to begin, so you won't have to dig through the rulebook to find them.

The rules of each game will be exceedingly simple. For example, in a sample (non-canon) game, you will pick three targets from a list of nine targets. You will win or lose accordingly if your guesses are spot-on or wrong. You'll be given until the end of the Day Phase to get your guesses in. In such a game, the winning targets would be determined and posted in the host's quicktopic before play begins, so after the game, you can be assured the solutions to all the puzzles were posted before the play began, and were not changed after the fact.

The game hosts will keep track of your monetary total by way of a running "checkbook" so to speak. In case of error, keep track of each transaction yourself, so it matches up with the "bank"s version of events, just like you would with a real life checkbook. The game hosts will keep track of your current items as well as their effects.

All you have to do, minimum, is show up during the day, and participate in the game. It doesn't even have to be via lynching someone. Have fun playing the mini-games. Vote No Lynch. Just be involved somehow.

During the night, if you have no night actions, you can discuss or roleplay or do whatever. There will also be mini-games at night, but no Lynches.

The game may be immersive, and the mechanics may be non-vanilla, but the rules are not going to be complicated. Think of the game as much more than a mafia/werewolf experience, and focus on playing the games or roleplaying as your character, and you will have fun regardless of which faction wins or loses.

This game is theoretical and still in the design stage. I'm gauging interest before we complete the design, to see if folks would just prefer a normal mafia game or something more flavorful.

Who is interested?
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 2015-01-17 at 12:09 PM.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Pixie in the Playground

I worry it runs into the same problem as Careless, where the lack of visible progress makes people lose interest. I think pulling off something like that would require more complicated mini-games and sidequests than just guessing and luck.

- - - Updated - - -

Like, a Pun-off minigame would be a blast, or Three-Person Mafia, or one where you have to try to rewrite song lyrics so the others can't recognize it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tydude View Post
    I actually have two theories on why you're doing this, but neither make much sense and you would have to be insane to try them. It seems you are insane, which is great for my theories.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZarethG View Post
    I see your point, Internet Flea. However, I don't retract my assessment of your sanity.
    What kind of paranoid mind sees that as something else. ~ The Narrator, during Stranded in Space.

(Sugar Shock avatar by Dirtytabs.)

4. - Top - End - #484
    Dwarf in the Playground

The complicated mini-games are called side goals or side quests.

There is one main side quest which everyone is invited to participate in on day one, and it is a race to see who can finish the side quest before the game ends, or be the first one to finish it.

And the side quest is essentially a long series of mini games which you play in secret, and if you win them all, you've completed the main side quest, with all the accolades and bonuses and items which come with it.

That side-quest is for the involved gamer. The casual gamer will have a great time with the mini-games, and roleplaying.

Basically, I've designed a game where the low-post, low-talk roleplayer will have a hell of a time, and one where the involved competitive gamer has a ton they can achieve.

And they don't have to be at odds with each other.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Pixie in the Playground

'Complicated' probably wasn't the right word. More varied minigames. Basically you've got me wanting a Carnival theme now.

I got the impression the minigames were single-phase things and the sidequests were all multi-phase.
    Last edited by Internet Flea; 2015-01-17 at 01:51 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I actually have two theories on why you're doing this, but neither make much sense and you would have to be insane to try them. It seems you are insane, which is great for my theories.
    I see your point, Internet Flea. However, I don't retract my assessment of your sanity.
    What kind of paranoid mind sees that as something else. ~ The Narrator, during Stranded in Space.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Titan in the Playground

I'd be interested. Also interesting that I'm not going to be the only person with health as a game mechanic in the near future.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Ogre in the Playground

What kind of prize inflation will be present, if any?

There's always the issue with a cumulative build up that early winners disenfranchise the have nots and attain a cyclical psychological lead even if the material edge is much more diminished. Keeping the prizes consistently level is fair, but it tends to dovetail toward this sort of bleed out. On Tue other side, if the curve is too steep, you lead into people being frustrated because the opening rounds were filler, like gameshows where the last round is the only that matters.

My vague bias bases on running on a two month tabletop game build up is to have a subtle inflation to keep people intrigued by better shineys bit still keeping it subtle that early consistent players can ostensibly hold a slight edge. Granted, I'd the prizes are wholly secret, that distorts things somewhat, but you still tend to get the same bleedout simply from knowing the consistent winners. Might bot be applicable here but that's usually my first thought wheneber I see a game with a competitive power up mechanic. Also because Mafia players are roughly as fussy as Rpg gamers.

My one hesitantion is while I would certainly play, I am not wholly sire there's a sizable population that would hold on for a several month affair. But Pizza is a whimsical enough designer that I think he could hold the people with the capacity for it.

8. - Top - End - #488
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Internet Flea View Post
    'Complicated' probably wasn't the right word. More varied minigames. Basically you've got me wanting a Carnival theme now.
    Ooh, lucky guess.

It might be the last Carnival any of the townsfolk ever get to see.... heh heh heh.

I got the impression the minigames were single-phase things and the sidequests were all multi-phase.
    Correct. Well, it's possible but unlikely to finish a sidequest in a single round.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    What kind of prize inflation will be present, if any?

There's always the issue with a cumulative build up that early winners disenfranchise the have nots and attain a cyclical psychological lead even if the material edge is much more diminished. Keeping the prizes consistently level is fair, but it tends to dovetail toward this sort of bleed out. On Tue other side, if the curve is too steep, you lead into people being frustrated because the opening rounds were filler, like gameshows where the last round is the only that matters.
    Works out something like this, vaguely:

1) Side quests give out better rewards than one mini-game would, but winning many mini-games works out better than some side quests. So, play and win several mini games, its as though you've done a side quest. But the prizes are different. Side quests tend to give you things directly, whereas mini games tend to win you money, but good prizes are also available.

2) Anyone can participate in the free mini games, but since there's limited space, first come first served. So not everyone can be a winner every day. There will be several free mini games every day, one at a time, not concurrently. Lower risk, lower reward, but you can often still win a consolation prize if you get second place, things like that.

3) Anyone with money can pay to play the pay-version of the mini games, and there's unlimited space. These games will run concurrently. The prizes may be better if you win these games, but there's not a lot in terms of consolation prizes. Higher risk, higher reward.

4) As certain games are won, and side quests are completed, more and better games get unlocked, and more and better prizes get unlocked. Toward the end of the game, everything gets unlocked regardless.

5) The prizes toward the end of the game could be better, in terms of lower-end prizes. But the main prizes for any game any time will be worth people's time. In other words, if you were to win 5 dollars in an early game, it might be worth 10 dollars in the late game. But that's not such a significant curve that it makes the early games worthless, and extremely good prizes can be won in early games too.

So, some prize inflation, but not enough to make winning early games bad.

In fact, since some of the prizes help you survive, winning early games could be vital!

My vague bias bases on running on a two month tabletop game build up is to have a subtle inflation to keep people intrigued by better shineys bit still keeping it subtle that early consistent players can ostensibly hold a slight edge. Granted, I'd the prizes are wholly secret, that distorts things somewhat, but you still tend to get the same bleedout simply from knowing the consistent winners.
    My worry was that the same active players would play all the games and deny them to the less active less talkies.

I designed the game around that problem: If you were in the previous iteration of a free game, you're not allowed to be in the next iteration of it. And you can only sign up to one free or pay game at a time. So, even if all the active talkies try to hoard the first few free games, they're barred from the next one if they participated.

And the folks that aren't as active will be getting a small monetary gain per round they can use on the pay-to-play games, which are unlimited in capacity, and have slightly better reward due to the higher risk/investment. You can't be denied the chance to win a great prize, all you have to do is want to play to win, and you are given such a chance.

My one hesitantion is while I would certainly play, I am not wholly sire there's a sizable population that would hold on for a several month affair. But Pizza is a whimsical enough designer that I think he could hold the people with the capacity for it.
    That's the idea- if people aren't willing to treat this as their one big game they are interested in, then they might not be the kind of player the game is looking for.

While there will be plenty of time, given the generally slower pace of the rounds, it can be an involved game, since there will be much player interaction with the game.

If you prefer to coast through each round, you probably won't enjoy what the game has to offer. If you want to do something every round, this is the game for you.

And I have a good idea about player fatigue and how long the game should be. The game host has ways of accelerating the ending if the death rate doesn't do it on its own, such as initiating the countdown to the final battle at will, which will make sure the game has a conclusion by a certain date if I so choose.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Zack
    Guest in the Playground

Why do the free games have limited spots?

Also, when/where do you plan to host it (I think you said the org previously)?

10. - Top - End - #490
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Why do the free games have limited spots?
    So that players will be able to play free games, especially after losing/spending all their money, but also have a major incentive to join the pay-to-play games.

The free games are daily events which are advertised and have storytelling associated with them, which liven up the phase and make things visibly festive and enjoyable.

But more than that, volunteering for these events is necessary for the story to continue.

At a certain point, volunteering for the events becomes a risky proposal.

Then, at a certain point, not volunteering for the events becomes an even riskier proposal.

There is a purpose behind it all. I will need someone to participate in some of the mini-games in order for the game to be proper, so I'll need some volunteers.

But again, there must be something which compels people to try the pay games, and if you can play any game you want without paying, there's little incentive.

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Also, when/where do you plan to host it (I think you said the org previously)?
    I am taking my time with the design, and it won't be hosted for sure until I and my co-host are completely satisfied with the design and that it will be fun for folks. That said, we've made a lot of progress discussing things.

Where to host: Well, here on Giant in the Playground would be fun, except this will definitely be disruptive. Not only to the established game queue, where others are waiting to host, but for other reasons. CFC is a very real option but the email notification system gives me an instant knowledge when someone is trying to comm with me about things and it creates a backup archive of all messages, and the inbox space is an issue, as it is here. The Org, inbox space isn't an issue... for me. But it could be for others.

The org is ideal out of those three candidates. And the server is more reliable than TWC.

That all being said, a very real option is Giraffe Boards.

The inbox space is enormous (30,000), the board works perfectly, and the head administrator, Giraffe, actually is an active gamer.

It's everything the Org offers, and just a tiny bit more.

If people aren't fundamentally opposed to the idea, Giraffe boards is the best bet. Unfortunately, that means more cross-board accounts for people and that's the main drawback.

Not everyone wants to have 7 different accounts on 7 different boards, and I'm aware of that problem. It sucks, because the Org or Giraffe are my top 2 candidates for a place to host it. But almost no one who is native to the board is going to be playing, it will be almost entirely off-boarders.
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 2015-01-17 at 06:21 PM.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Internet Flea View Post
    I worry it runs into the same problem as Careless, where the lack of visible progress makes people lose interest.
    I don't think that will be as much of a problem in this game. In Careless, there's little reason to care whether the player you kill belongs to one faction or another, since you're just going to switch teams after you die anyway. Also, 'wolves' in that game outnumber 'villagers', so you can't really argue that a given player is the right target or the wrong target for the lynch. Players will probably be more invested in the lynch in a game where there's an actual team of wolves that town is trying to kill.

Anyway, I'm a role player who also generally invests in the actual game play, so you can mark me as an interested party.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Dwarf in the Playground

I don't think I've designed a game around roleplaying and immersion, with the mafia-town dynamic as a backdrop before. Like literally, the village could sit on its butt and do nothing all game, and the wolves could sweep, and there would be entertainment to be had by all.

This is the game for roleplayers and immersion. Right now I'm discussing excluding the lynch from even being a realistic option on the first day, because I don't want there to be a lynch on the first day. I want people to ignore it entirely until someone actually dies, and with health, they might not even die on N1.

And even so, there won't be nothing happening. Involved side-quests, light-hearted side-quests, daily mini-games, and story color will be there to hold people's interest.

And then, at the end of the game, when the monsters are devouring the townsfolk, you might actually weep when your favorite character finally meets its untimely end.

Or maybe you're one of the monsters who finally gets his well-deserved meal. Either way, you can get your kicks.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy View Post
    Right now I'm discussing excluding the lynch from even being a realistic option on the first day, because I don't want there to be a lynch on the first day. I want people to ignore it entirely until someone actually dies, and with health, they might not even die on N1.
    How is health treated by the narration? Is it related to how a character is doing physically (if I'm down to one health, I would have several injuries,) or is it more related to luck (when I'm down to one health I've been lucky enough to avoid all previous attempts on my life, but my luck is running out)? If it's the former, I would imagine somebody who just got a chunk bitten out of his leg would be quite intent on finding his attacker as soon as the day began. But if somebody poisoned his soup and he just happened to get distracted and fail to eat the poison, it makes more sense for people to remain in a peaceful mood until somebody dies.

From a mechanical standpoint, I'm not a fan of the idea of waiting for players to die before lynching, since that gives wolves an incentive to spread out their attacks and prevent us from getting to lynch anybody until everybody except for them has taken severe damage. However, I'm fine with waiting until after the first attack before we start lynching.
    Last edited by BourgeoisJerry; 2015-01-17 at 07:53 PM.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BourgeoisJerry View Post
    How is health treated by the narration? Is it related to how a character is doing physically (if I'm down to one health, I would have several injuries,) or is it more related to luck (when I'm down to one health I've been lucky enough to avoid all previous attempts on my life, but my luck is running out)?
    Everyone is flying in balloon-powered lawn chairs, and every successful kill pops some balloons.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #495
    Dwarf in the Playground

How is health treated by the narration? Is it related to how a character is doing physically (if I'm down to one health, I would have several injuries,) or is it more related to luck (when I'm down to one health I've been lucky enough to avoid all previous attempts on my life, but my luck is running out)? If it's the former, I would imagine somebody who just got a chunk bitten out of his leg would be quite intent on finding his attacker as soon as the day began. But if somebody poisoned his soup and he just happened to get distracted and fail to eat the poison, it makes more sense for people to remain in a peaceful mood until somebody dies.
    Every wound is treated as serious and life-threatening, even if someone had plenty of health remaining. It's not a scratch, it's a serious flesh wound or worse. An arrow to the chest, a hero can maybe shrug off, but it's bleeding and pretty nasty business there. Might want to get that healed up rather than ignore it.

Injured players (freshly injured) cannot vote to lynch until the next Day, or participate in battles.

However, I'm fine with waiting until after the first attack before we start lynching.
    Again, I must congratulate this group on their great guesses. Even if the murder attempt fails, it is still a murder attempt and cause for lynching. I came up with that a few hours ago and here you are, coming up with it independently on your own.

I really think this group will fit into the game structure well.
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 2015-01-17 at 08:13 PM.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Pixie in the Playground

Well I'm still getting a balloon-powered lawn chair.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #497
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Injured players (freshly injured) cannot vote to lynch until the next Day, or participate in battles.
    Does a similar rule apply to night actions when a player was freshly injured during a lynch?

18. - Top - End - #498
    Zack
    Guest in the Playground

Does a similar rule apply to night actions when a player was freshly injured during a lynch?
    I'm pretty sure lynching is an auto-kill. If not, it should be.
    Last edited by Zack; 2015-01-17 at 10:45 PM.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lynching is an automatic kill, and there's no way to survive it.

This is due to some games' use/abuse of lynch-avoiding mechanics, now no one wants them in the game (from my native sites)

20. - Top - End - #500
    Zack
    Guest in the Playground

Lynching is an automatic kill, and there's no way to survive it.

This is due to some games' use/abuse of lynch-avoiding mechanics, now no one wants them in the game (from my native sites)
    Personally, I think bulletproof townies are almost, but not quite, as bad1. I remember from experience, as mafia I tried to kill someone who turned out to not only be bulletproof, but he killed anyone who attacked him. How the hell are the mafia supposed to deal with that?

1Only if it's a persistent, permanent ability to survive all nightkills. Living through one kill or something is fine.

21. - Top - End - #501
    Dwarf in the Playground

In this game the evil parties will eventually obtain the ability to kill through all forms of protection, and all forms of protection otherwise have other kinds of weaknesses anyway. (and they can kill through lesser forms of protection, with certain upgrades)

No true bulletproof exists in this game, and the evil parties have other ways of defeating villagers than just by brute-force murdering them.

Think "strength" in NOTW, only not that specific mechanic. They have a method of gaining power.

So, if the villagers stonewall them, they can just sit tight and grow more and more powerful. Like Murder Manor III's Yeqon Lucifuge Caacrinolaas. (sp? it's been a while)
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 2015-01-18 at 12:37 AM.

22. - Top - End - #502
    Titan in the Playground

My latest "Ramsus why gods why!?" game, Core Component is now recruiting, possibly in record time for mod approval as I only posted it up a few hours ago. Anyway, tell your friends.

23. - Top - End - #503
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've been poking and prodding potential roles for my small Adventure Time WW game, and I've stumbled across a list that I'm halfway happy with. However, of course I'll have missed something stupid or potentially game-breaking that I can't see, so please pick apart if you have the time and inclination.

Rules

15 player game, wolf/neutral/villager ratio of 3:1:11. Could run with 20, changing the ratio to 4:2:14

At the beginning of the game, three roles will be randomly assigned the wolf team; one role will be assigned as neutral, and the other eleven roles will be assigned to the Candy Kingdom (Villagers). The make-up of the teams will not be revealed until game end.

Each role also has a genderbent alternative with a different ability. None of these will be revealed, except to the player in question if/when they are genderbent by Ice King.

During the day (48 hours-ish), players vote for who they want lynched, and any role-based day abilities can be used. At night (24 hours-ish), the wolf team gets a night kill, and role-based night abilities cab be used.

The Candy Kingdom wins by punching all the Wolves.

The Wolves win by reducing the Candy Kindgom’s population to match their own, not including the neutral role.

The Neutral role will have its own special victory condition that will depend on which role is randomly assigned as neutral.

Role-claiming, PM’s and all that are allowed.

Candy Kingdom Inhabitants (Roles)

Finn the Human – Finn and Jake will always be on the same team. Finn is really good at punches, and being all heroic and stuff, can choose one player per night to protect from the lynch during the following day. Finn is a bit thick, bless him, so he cannot protect himself. Finn’s genderbent identity is Fionna the Human.

Jake the Dog – Finn and Jake will always be on the same team. Jake is all stretchy and magical, and has a tendency to protect people by wrapping his rubbery body around them. Jake can choose one player per night to protect from the bad guys night kill, but he cannot protect himself. Jake’s genderbent identity is Cake the Cat.

Princess Bubblegum – As the leader of the Candy Kingdom, Princess Bubblegum’s daily vote counts as two. Princess Bubblegum’s genderbent identity is Prince Gumball.

Marceline the Vampire Queen – Marceline is tough, like a vampire survivor of a global apocalypse should be. Plus, she’s a rock star, and everyone knows that rock stars don’t follow the rules. Marceline is immune to all abilities except for the daily lynch and night kill. Marceline’s genderbent identity is Marshall Lee.

Lumpy Space Princess – Targets a player each night to give them the Lumps, nullifying their ability for that night phase, or day phase if they have a day ability. LSP’s genderbent identity is Lumpy Space Prince.

BMO – BMO is a handheld game console, and therefore cannot be genderbent. BMO can project one players role to another player once per night, but BMO won’t receive any of the results.

Tree Trunks – Tree Trunks has a massive crush on Finn, it’s a pity he only has eyes for Princess Bubblegum. When Tree Trunks votes for the same target as Finn, her vote counts double, and the two are put into contact, whether or not they are on the same side. Tree Trunk’s genderbent identity is Tree Trunks with a Moustache.

Cinnamon Bun – In a kingdom containing Finn and Jake, Cinnamon Bun’s distinction as the dumbest subject in the land is all the more impressive. He always tries his best, but little that he does comes off. Each night, Cinnamon Bun can can choose any living role and try to use their ability, though he only has a 33% chance of success. Cinnamon Bun’s genderbent identity is Cinnamon Bun in a Dress.

Peppermint Butler – Princess Bubblehgum’s faithful servant and secret practitioner of the dark arts, Peppermint Butler is a sweet of many talents. Each night, he performs a ritual that allows him to use the ability of the last player lynched. Peppermint Butler’s genderbent identity is Peppermint Matron.

Banana Guard – Employed for their ability stand in one place and think absolutely nothing for hours on end, Banana Guards are common in the real Candy Kingdom, but only one has made it into Ice King’s fan fiction. Banana Guard will be linked to a random role at the start of the game, not necessarily on the same team. If that role is targeted for a lynch or night kill, Banana Guard will become the target instead. Banana Guard’s genderbent identity is Banana Guard with a Ponytail.

Lady Rainicorn – Lady Rainicorn speaks fluent Korean. The issue most of the Candy Kingdom has is that’s all she can speak. Due to accusations often being lost in translation, Lady Rainicorn can redirect the first point at her each day to whoever she is pointing at. Lady Rainicorn’s genderbent identity is Lord Monochromicorn.

Choose Goose – Choose Goose speaks in rhyme, in fact he does it all the time. Except now, because I can’t rhyme for squat. Choose Goose will receive the real role of any disguised role on death, and can also target one player per night to see who they target with their action, though not what the action was. Choose Gooses genderbent identity is Choose Moose.

Ice King – A writer of rather disturbing fan-fiction, Ice King can write a quick skit in his magic book to genderbend one character each night. The effect is permanent, until either Ice King is knocked out, or he targets a character for a second time. Ice King’s genderbent identity is Ice Queen, so yes, he can target himself.

Gunter – This penguin is not only Ice King’s lackey, he’s also a master of disguise. Well, disguising other people anyway. Each day he can make another player look like someone else for the rest of that day and the coming night phase. If the target dies whilst disguised, their disguise is maintained. Gunter’s genderbent identity is Gunterina.

The Lich – The most evil creature in all of the Candy Kingdom, except when he’s not. The Lich will survive the first day lynch or night kill that he is targeted with. The Liches genderbent identity is still the Lich, but a little less gravelly-voiced.

24. - Top - End - #504
    Ogre in the Playground

BMO – BMO is a handheld game console, and therefore cannot be genderbent. BMO can project one players role to another player once per night, but BMO won’t receive any of the results.
    Heh, nice touch. The gender fluid character being immune to being gender bent.

Does bending have an actual mechanical effect?

25. - Top - End - #505
    Titan in the Playground

Marceline the Vampire Queen is currently immune to being genderbent but has a genderbent form. Is this intentional?

I would suggest Tree Trunks and Finn are only put in contact if they're voting for the same person at the end of the day, not just that they did at any point during the day, otherwise they'll be in contact really early.

Banana Guard doesn't sound very fun to play as, as he starts the game knowing he's almost assuredly going to die. Possibly sacrificing his life for the opposing team, even if he knows that person isn't on his team. Which would be really really bad if he was a wolf. You might want to re-work this role. Possibly make his ability a nightly power and he can choose the target, or something. Something that doesn't involve him knowing that a die roll has determined if he'll be a burden to his own team, rather than his actions.

26. - Top - End - #506
    Dwarf in the Playground

Related to the upcoming theoretical game of mine...

Three routes to victory:

1) Individual achievement

Players all have the same "Main sidequest" at the game start, and it is a race to finish first.

All who finish the sidequest before they die/game end, will be counted among the winners, but the first to complete the sidequest will achieve a victory equal to winning the game outright, shared first place win.

Players investing heavily in this route can play to win this way- the prizes they earn from mini-games and the items they purchase from shops could be in pursuit of this win condition. Such, that they sacrifice potential avenues of victory along other routes. Which means, players pursuing other avenues of victory will have an easier time winning along their routes, because fewer players are competing with them along that route.

2) Mafia versus Village team victory

The objective is the usual- be on the winning side. So, the investment should be in time and energy trying to locate the mafia through in-thread activity, or by reasoning things out, or by other means as well. Focus on keeping team members alive, and focus on destroying enemy team members by the lynch or murder.

If you are good at this, murder the right people, lynch the right people... then you win. Simple. Easy. Takes minimal investment. It is the guess-who-the-mafia-is game that we all know and love.

You don't need any bells or whistles or to even be good at winning or playing mini-games or doing side-quests. You can treat this game like an ordinary, regular, mafia game.

3) Preparing for war

If you invest your winnings and effort toward trying to improve your offensive values, defensive values, and health, then when the inevitable battles come, you can (A) survive better, and (B) assist your team better by protecting others from death, or causing the right deaths.

While this route makes the least impact until the end... it could make the most impact overall.

So, I feel the game will appeal to these three types of players:

1) The individual achiever- this player likes to invest more time and energy into the game, to put themselves in the best possible position as early as possible, by exploring all avenues of victory available to them. This player will get involved in the mini-games and sidequests and build their character, and work as hard as possible behind the scenes to get the W. This player will flourish in this environment.

2) The immersion/roleplayer- this player can roleplay, and participate in games to whatever level they wish, and are available for. They can vote once or twice a round, participate in the occasional mini-game, and invest in the pay mini games to catch up to the more "power gamer" types if they have the good fortune to win more than they lose. And they can help their team with the vote.

3) The team player- this player will do everything they can to help their team, with the vote, with the attacks and defenses in the battles near the end, and come up with strategies to help their team win if they're innocent or guilty.

27. - Top - End - #507
    Barbarian in the Playground

Finn the Human is too powerful as a wolf.

Technical Admin of the Minecraft server. Whitelist is here; put your name there and post it in the thread.
    The overly long monstrosity that is my extended signature lies here.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Grue Bait View Post
    Good game, guys. Sapo, you are just too good for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    And by the way, your puzzle was one of the most interesting ones I've solved in a while. Kudos.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Does bending have an actual mechanical effect?
    It does . When Ice King genderbends a character, their ability changes. Only the player affected actually finds out what they can now do, though. Whether a roles genderbent ability is better, worse, or similar in power depends on the role in question. The idea is, that if a role on the opposite team is causing issues for Ice King, he may be able to make it go away, or buff his own team if one of their abilities is underwhelming.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    Marceline the Vampire Queen is currently immune to being genderbent but has a genderbent form. Is this intentional?

I would suggest Tree Trunks and Finn are only put in contact if they're voting for the same person at the end of the day, not just that they did at any point during the day, otherwise they'll be in contact really early.

Banana Guard doesn't sound very fun to play as, as he starts the game knowing he's almost assuredly going to die. Possibly sacrificing his life for the opposing team, even if he knows that person isn't on his team. Which would be really really bad if he was a wolf. You might want to re-work this role. Possibly make his ability a nightly power and he can choose the target, or something. Something that doesn't involve him knowing that a die roll has determined if he'll be a burden to his own team, rather than his actions.
    Nope, Marceline can be genderbent, this is why I put the roles out for consideration because I knew I'd missed obvious stuff.

Good idea on Tree Trunks and Finn, that was my intention anyway, but I should clarify it.

Yeah, Banana Guard is troubling, as he stands he relies on being genderbent or being linked to a plum role on the same team to be very useful. I can't help but feel that picking his own target nightly might be a touch too good though, once he gets networked. I'll think on that some more.

Quote Originally Posted by Saposhiente View Post
    Finn the Human is too powerful as a wolf.
    I'd thought about that, but if Finn is a wolf then Jake automatically is too, and his ability is useless as a wolf, which I though balanced things out?

29. - Top - End - #509
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I don't know that depriving the town of a baner is "useless", it's actually pretty good, just not very active.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Ogre in the Playground

The ability to nullify a lynch is a fairly aggravating power even if it balanced by other factors. I would recommend changing it for something else.