Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 193435363738394041424344
Results 1,291 to 1,317 of 1317
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ramsus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Pub: Off-topic chat for forum gamers

    Ok. I understand you're trying to be helpful but it surprises me that you'd think I hadn't considered the angle that the problem is myself before. Especially when people who argue with me repeatedly shout the idea in my face (usually while simultaneously refusing to admit any responsibility at all for their behavior). The problem with that theory is that as I've already pointed out, at this point I've had something like.... 40(?, I dunno I'm not keeping track but it's pretty high) different people tell me that the majority of any individual problems weren't in the majority my fault and a similarly large number of people, many of who came to the conclusion independently, agreeing that my core issue is people coming into discussions with me with an assumption about how I will behave before I've even said anything at all and inevitably finding an excuse to read things I've said the way they showed up looking for it to read.

    Every time I have an issue with someone like this I try and get them to actually explain what their problems were and I have other people not involved look at things I might have done partially wrong and I adjust my behavior accordingly.
    But that doesn't matter when people show up to discussions assuming I'm an angry jerk and refuse to notice any evidence to the contrary. There are probably several dozen specific and another two or three dozen implied things I'm constantly trying to keep in mind to avoid this kind of drama with people. But, in the end it doesn't seem to matter how much effort I put into avoiding these things since the community here has decided I should be their punching bag.
    I'm sure that sounds harsher than it needs to and in truth it really only applies to a rather small number of people and most of those not even consistently, nor am I claiming they're behaving this way intentionally. So I hope nobody feels like I'm attacking them specifically or everyone as a whole all at once here.

    I think I've made my position on this pretty clear before (though I have no idea who has seen it before or paid it any mind), but I do believe a major cause of this kind of thing is that despite the fact that I know many people here don't agree with the way people who have had drama with me behave, it is very rare that anyone not directly involved is willing to speak up and say that the behavior in question was wrong. Even more rare if they will confront that party directly and make sure that I'm not the only person who is being given pressure to change their behavior. And this kind of social pressure is 100% necessary as without it the message that everyone as a whole gets is "It's ok to make problems with Ramsus, nobody will blame you anyway, everything is Ramsus' fault and you know that nobody cares if Ramsus gets hurt in the process because nobody says anything about it. Besides it happens all the time, it's no big deal if you do it".

    I want to note, I do appreciate that you're trying to help Aventine. Even if I don't think you explored the issue deeply enough to do anything I feel is actually fruitful. It's still nice that you're taking the time to make an effort to do something either for my benefit specifically or at least the community as a whole.

    As for my response to Sapo, I think it's entirely reasonable for me to say what I believe someone's intentions are. How else are they going to know what I think their intentions are and that I don't appreciate them? Sapo could easily have responded by disagreeing or trying to correct me. You can see for yourself that they didn't do so. And really honestly tell me you didn't find their initial statement hostile. Because that read as incredibly hostile to me. And their previous post you can tell is just as hostile since they put words in my mouth, acting as if I called anyone a "total jerk". If I'm wrong there, I'd really like to know what was actually intended and how Sapo expected me to respond and what benefit that response was supposed to have to me, themselves, or anyone else. Because I can't figure anything out aside from a very tiny outside case where Sapo didn't understand they were being hostile and were attempting to do exactly what you were trying to do and expecting me to understand their meaning based on so little and not expect hostility from them when their last interaction with me was incredibly hostile while I also am still very notably raw from at the very least perceiving someone telling me I'm not welcome here.*

    *It doesn't really matter on an emotional level that I've discussed things with Murska and they've explained that's not how they meant that. That feeling is still there and it was hurtful enough (combined with other stuff that occurred) that I'm still feeling at least echoes of that initial hurt. And it's incredibly hard to come back to a 100% calm and not defensive position with each additional person increasing the drama of the situation rather than letting things cool down or at the very least approaching me in private rather than giving me this huge constant pressure to be as polite as possible in response in public lest I open myself up to another full round of the "You're bad and you should feel bad" game.
    Seriously do any of you involved in this not grasp even a little how it feels to be jumped on by this many people at once/in short order? If there was a single person bothering to try to view this from my perspective I'm fairly certain they would be applauding me for not having completely flipped out at anyone several times yet.

    I realize I'm not perfect and that at times people find me abrasive. But I know for a fact that the amount I am abrasive and the amount people treat me as being abrasive don't match up at all. (I've also noted a very unusual reversal of this in favor of specific other individuals.) And all of this goes without comment. And as far as I can tell* I'm the only person who actually makes an attempt to improve after such confrontations or will give people apologies for behavior of mine they found upsetting rather than refusing to give any apologies at all or apologizing only for trivial surface or side issues instead of the main problems.
    *I'm not saying nobody does so, I just have absolutely no way to tell or have been given any reason to believe it to occur.**

    **The notable exception actually goes to you Aventine as I think we had one big confrontation once or maybe twice and after initial ill feelings you have been very polite and straightforward with me. Which I really do appreciate. I'm always impressed by this level of improved interpersonal relations and I really wish you showed up more often, because even if you don't agree with me I can at least tell you actually listen to what I say.

    @Sapo: The answer to your question is that other people avoid getting into drama with each other because I'm being used at the communal punching bag. As I've explained above, I'm seen as the safe person to behave in the manner towards as there is no consequence other than self-imposed consequences for such behavior. Not even a shred of social stigma no matter how atrociously someone treats me as far as I can tell. Why would anyone start drama with anyone with me under those kinds of conditions?
    No, I don't think people's goals is always avoiding drama. It's avoiding the consequences of drama.
    If avoiding drama was actually other people's goal there is pretty much no way 90% of the drama I've been involved in would have occurred.

    As for myself, "avoiding drama" isn't my goal because that goal has proven impossible for me to achieve. The only way it would be achievable for me is if when people voted for me in games my response was limited to "ok". Which isn't really playing. Yes, other people don't always put in as much effort defending their position in games as I do. Which is often why they wind up getting lynched when it could have been avoided. Nor does playing the game with effort somehow equate to my doing something "wrong". My only hope of ever avoiding drama in games is to hope other people won't pick fights with me or totally overreact to something I've said they don't like this time.
    Sure on some occasions I wind up involved in drama because I feel someone is doing something that just involves treating people (myself included but not always myself) poorly in a way that I don't think should be socially acceptable here. You're going to have a very hard time convincing me that standing up for myself or other people is the wrong thing to do. It already confounds and frustrates me enough that other people don't take a more active role in such things. To me it's self evident that apathy is an invitation for mean spirited behavior.


    Ok so that's like what. The 10th wall of text I've been forced into the position of having to make in the last two days? I feel like I've been pretty polite and patient about this. I'm pretty mentally exhausted. Actually that's basically how I started out this day. I've moved past frustration and bewilderment and hurt to paranoia and defensiveness to resignation and at this point I've reached totally numb. I guess people can continue on in this manner if they like, but I honestly have no idea how I'd react to seeing more of this kind of thing when I wake up or any time in the next few days. I might completely snap and shout at people, I might politely respond as best I can, I might just not respond at all, or I could very well just decide this just isn't worth it anymore and stop playing these games entirely or at least for another year or so until someone actually goes out of their way to invite me to a game a ropes me back into this for a third round. (I'm referring to the fact that on a previous occasion I determined the way people were treating me just wasn't worth it and stopped playing until Gray Mage, I believe, actually invited me into a game a good while later after I had time enough to hope the people making things miserable for me had moved on in one way or another.) Or maybe I'd just respond with complete nonsense. I have no idea.
    So what I'm trying, poorly, to say is that if anyone has more negative stuff to say about/to me right now.... how about just not doing that instead as enough people have made sure I'm not in a fit mental state to respond well to it? If people have something positive to say.... Pfft. Right. Haha. Always have to have that sense of humor.
    Anyway I hope you're all satisfied with some combination of my answers, my pain, and walls of text. Goodnight.

    Edit: I do hope I haven't somehow offended anyone with anything I said here, but I was writing it for like an hour and a half.... every minute of which was past when I usually go to sleep on top of having woken up two hours early today and having spent a HUGE amount of my time today and yesterday with this stuff. All while I'm not in or running any active games and I probably could have just walked away without trying to resolve or address anything and all and simply not cared how people felt or what they thought since I wasn't obligated to be posting in this section of for the forums for probably a good bit.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2017-07-27 at 05:40 AM.

  2. - Top - End - #1292
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Fin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The Future...
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Pub: Off-topic chat for forum gamers

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    Murska's claim is that "optimal" wolf play was for me to break the tie by voting for Libro. Which forces Libro to vote for AV. He can't vote for Xihirli as that would make a new tie... not in his favor. He can't vote for anyone else because that's even worse odds for him. So the only person Libro could have voted for was AV as they would at least have hope someone else would be willing to move a vote over onto AV as well. Sure it's the same odds as Xihirli, but not really since there were now two people who now actually publicly cared about avoiding Xihirli getting lynched. As a wolf I would have been looking for that kind of thing. Especially if I was playing optimally (as opposed to Murska's version of "optimal" which apparently means braindead). How in the world would I force Libro into a position where they had to vote for AV without considering someone else might join them? The only circumstance where that move makes any sense is if I was trying to make an opening for another wolf to vote for Libro too. But that didn't happen. Which means I can't possibly be a wolf because I wouldn't have done so and just.... what? Hoped people would follow me onto Libro for no good reason without even trying to get a fellow wolf to do so? That's anti-optimal and just plain dumb.
    Ramsus when Murska suggested you shouldn't play I suspect it was in response to this paragraph in your post previous to his. In it you effectively call him both 'Braindead' and 'Dumb' and so honestly I agree with him in the broader sense.

    If you, or anyone else for that matter, can't play these games without resorting to insults and be civil then don't play. I am not suggesting for a second that you shouldn't play Ramsus but everyone could stand to leave the insults at the door. Question peoples logic, sure. Tell them you think they have been conned, fine. But don't straight up call them dumb, because no one here is dumb.

    So if that makes you reconsider your position of 'Murska cast the first stone' and we can all move on then great. if not at least I tried and I would suggest you try and be a little less sensitive in the future because these games are all about creating a bit of conflict and confusion.

    So in summary, we are all essentially good people, lets move on and play some WW
    Last edited by Fin; 2017-07-27 at 11:39 AM.

  3. - Top - End - #1293
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Logic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    WA, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Pub: Off-topic chat for forum gamers

    I strongly believe in "attack the argument, not the person presenting it." From my recollection, in all of the situations involving drama and Ramsus, both parties failed to heed to my shorthand rule, including the instance where I got into it with Ramsus. On my end, there was no lasting hostility, as we were able to communicate our concerns to one another clearly later. Communication is key; this is a game about paranoia and suspicion, and you only succeed

    To paraphrase someone, these games are basically an internet shouting match, and that's not the way we should do business going forward. It's a game of deception and deduction. And it should be about that.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Avatar by Ceika

  4. - Top - End - #1294
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ramsus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Pub: Off-topic chat for forum gamers

    Thank you both for totally not listening to my request to consider laying off for a single moment.
    Also thank you for not even taking the time to actually examine what I said before deciding to use it as an excuse to attack me and note that I in fact was attacking the argument, an argument in which I thought Murska was intentionally insinuating I was stupid.
    I've been over it in private with Murska and we both misunderstood the other person's intent in the argument in a similar fashion and agreed (I think) that in that particular circumstance someone was bound to take it personally even though neither of us meant it personally.

    And that's the second person to tell me to not play. This one after I made it perfectly clear how hurtful I find the comment. I really don't care what qualifiers are put around the words, you still put it in a post and aimed it at me with the foreknowledge I would find it hurtful.

    @Aventine: Sorry I didn't actually wind up responding to your constructive criticism itself.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aventine
    You tend to easily fall into the trap where you know what you were trying to say and how it was supposed to sound, so you don't notice that it could be read a different way (lack of tone in writing and what-not). So when someone gets pissed off about something you say, you conclude that they are just being irrationally pissed at you for no reason. In doing so, you neglect the possibility that your own post looked bad to someone who didn't know how it sounded in your head, thus making you look like an a-hole (despite your best intentions) and making their anger understandable and entirely rational.
    Ok so let's examine this part by part.
    Step 1) I say something
    Step 2) Someone reads it in a way I didn't mean it to be read
    Query 1) Is this because said person went into the game looking for anything I say to be read this way?
    Step 3) Said person decided "this is potentially offensive"
    Step 4) Said person decides not to ask themselves "is there a way to read this as not offensive?"
    Query 2) Why am I expected to do this on their behalf if they won't?
    Step 5) Said person decides not to ask my intentions or confirm in some other way that I meant offense.
    Step 6) Said person decides they will confront me with some manner of hostility in response to the perceived offense
    Optional 1) Said person decides that their confrontation should be out of proportion to the perceived offense for reasons I can't determine
    Step 7) I fail to understand Step 2 occurred or why Steps 4 & 5 (and optional 1) occurred
    Step 8) I conclude said person is pissed at me for no reason
    Step 9) Given said person actually has intentionally confronted me with hostility I fail to find any way in which they could mean something else and respond as I feel is appropriate to the situation.
    Return to step 2...

    Yes. I can see how this makes everything my fault?
    Wait....
    Um.....
    So according to this, the things I should do to prevent this occurrence are one of two things.

    1) Assume all instances of people being hostile to me in a manner that I can find no other meaning except hostility in is because they misunderstood something (often some unspecified thing I will have no hope of picking out) I said and attempt to, while they have already decided to treat me in a hostile manner, convince them they misunderstood something and keep myself calm and from responding to things I feel the need to respond to.
    Um.... I guess that's technically possible. I think it has a failure rate of 99% but... technically possible.
    I really have no idea how someone could be expected to accomplish this task. Or how it's reasonable to claim the blame with the situation is with them for failing to do so/try to do so. It goes against pretty much every instinct and clashes with other desires to avoid other problems like "desire for everyone to not think I don't care/don't disagree with by implication of silence about X thing said person just said" and other issues.

    2) Use magic. Make other people not do Steps 4 and 5 and ask themselves the question "Is there a universe where it is possible Ramsus' goal in this moment is anything other than being an *******" and come to a conclusion of yes. Also fix world hunger and cure cancer.

    Am I examining this theory of events wrong? Because what I'm seeing upon examining it that somehow I'm being given responsibility for other people's bad behavior.

    Edit: I would like to note I don't mean any of this in a derisive or otherwise offensive manner.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2017-07-27 at 12:56 PM.

  5. - Top - End - #1295
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Fin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The Future...
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Pub: Off-topic chat for forum gamers

    Ramsus I specifically said I didn't want you to stop playing and said that I agree with Murska that anyone who can't leave insults at the door shouldn't play.

    I suspect this over sensitivity is part of the problem for Ramsus, I was deliberately stating I wasn't asking you to stop playing but that is the way you took it. It was not an attack. Also, you ask us to not put words in your mouth and you do that exact thing to me by telling me I have told you I don't want to play when I never.

    As such that is my last word on the matter. Feel free to take the advice or don't. I'll enjoy playing WW with you regardless because I like you as I do all of the playgrounders

    EDIT: Yes, I appreciate you asked us not to continue this but I felt it was only fair to Murska to clarify his side of things (at least as far as I perceived them) before the argument was shut down.
    Last edited by Fin; 2017-07-27 at 03:00 PM.
    Waiting for that day, when we all have the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Kris View Post
    I'll never trust you again. Even if we're on the same team. Even if the narrators tell me to.
    Monkeytar by me!/DYF Avatar by Mr Saturn!

  6. - Top - End - #1296
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ramsus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Pub: Off-topic chat for forum gamers

    I feel like I am expected to respond in some manner to this, but I simply have no words. I don't have the faintest idea how to express how wrong I think what Fin did today was in a way that I feel anyone would grasp or care to acknowledge. It feels like it would just result in more abuse. Maybe someone else can take a crack at it if they care to.
    Ok then.
    There you go.
    *blinks*

  7. - Top - End - #1297
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Xihirli's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Astral Plane
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: The Pub: Off-topic chat for forum gamers

    I feel that the purpose of the playground is to create an environment in which anyone feels welcome unless they are bringing unwelcome to others. It would behoove us to listen when someone feels unwelcome rather than dismissing it as over-sensitivity.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zar Peter View Post
    Supagoof took the most blows and incidentally took exactly the same damage Xihirli inflicted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Interim View Post
    Xihirli: Being a better target since 2015.
    Quote Originally Posted by flatfooted View Post
    Nice to know you're consistently homicidal, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logic View Post
    I'm good with eliminating Xihirli. I'm not sure how she has managed to live as long as she has.
    Quote Originally Posted by BasketOfPuppies View Post
    Xihirli's ability to stay alive has befuddled all of science for years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceseer View Post
    I really wanted what Xihirli said to be true though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    That was a lot of awesome backstabbing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thematthew View Post
    I love you, you kooky loon.

  8. - Top - End - #1298
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Lex-Kat's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Avvie by HappyTurtle
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Pub: Off-topic chat for forum gamers

    Ramsus, I am only going to suggest that perhaps you should step away for a few months. No one here is out to get you, looking to start an argument with you, or otherwise looking to do anything except enjoy playing a game of intrigue and deception.

    Please note that no one else seems to be attacked by Murska/Fleeing Coward/Fin/Penguinator/etc. etc. etc. It is only you, Ramsus. So maybe, just maybe it is you who is reading everyone else wrong. I suggest you pause, take a step back, and reflect on how you respond to people. I think you allow your emotions to get the better of you.

    These are just suggestions. I am absolutely not telling you that you cannot play anymore. I am not trying to attack you, just as no one else is intending what they say to be insults or attacks upon your person.

    I am not going to respond further than this. This is my first and last statement on this discussion.

    Lexington III, my Brute. Inner Circle. ! Melody


  9. - Top - End - #1299
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Norway
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Pub: Off-topic chat for forum gamers

    First post:

    Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy View Post
    Greetings everyone.

    [snip]

    What makes a good werewolf player?

    I have noticed over the years that players seem to be under the mistaken impression that they need to win oodles of games and/or win as werewolf and/or lynch all the scums as villager and/or never lynch villagers as villager in order to be a decent player.

    I think I touched on this a bit before my first game here on this forum.

    Okay, let us imagine this ideal werewolf player. They only accuse the wolves as villager, they never accuse villagers as villager, and they always win as wolf. Somehow. They win 90 percent of the games they play. They've been playing for 10 years.

    Now let us imagine they have no further redeeming or endearing qualities. They don't really converse with their fellow players, they have no sense of humor, they think little of everyone else's earnest efforts, and they take the game personally. They also drop from games for no reason without explanation.

    Is this person a good werewolf player?

    No.

    They might be skilled, but they aren't a good player.

    A good player, let us imagine him or her for a second. The ideal good werewolf player.

    They are wrong sometimes and right sometimes. (That's pretty much everyone.)
    They want to share the game experience with other players, and get involved by conversing with the rest of the players, on their team or not.
    They have a sense of humor or can appreciate others' attempts at humor.
    They don't take it personally if you're wrong about them, or lose the game for their team.
    They sign up for games only if they truly intend to give it their best effort.
    They notify game hosts when they need to drop, with a reason why, preferably.
    They are at least aware of the vote tally when one has been posted, and aware of when the round ends, and try to make decisions that help their team.

    And that's it.

    They don't need to be particularly good at accusing anyone. They don't need to be accurate. They don't need to be a leader, or extremely talkative.

    It is, at the last, a guessing game between friends, a casual experience. Some really put in the effort and try to find all the wolves themselves, but that is not a requirement.

    If you show up and try, and you keep things in perspective, and you notify game hosts when you can't play anymore, and it's not an every game thing where you need to drop out, then you are a good player.

    I'd rather play with 20 good players than one "skilled" player who has no other redeeming qualities.

    So please, take that to heart.
    Why this is relevant-

    Mafia is intended to be a casual guessing game between friends. It's not intended to become something personal, even if someone guesses wrong or makes a bad play in your opinion, or has strange theories. It's not a place for insults, it's not a place for ongoing interpersonal drama. It's not a place to belittle other players' intellect. It's not intended to be a nexus of negativity.

    It doesn't matter if you're the most skilled guesser in the universe and you have the most amazing win/loss record. If at any time you start to stray from the above, you should take a break for your own sake, for the sake of the game, for the sake of the community you play in, and the friends you intend to have.

    And this thread is not a place for drama, accusations, discussion about an ongoing game, post-game beratements, or negativity. It's not what I intended when I started the thread. In fact, my first post should have been a clue that I'd be deeply disappointed by such things.

    I reported it so it can get removed, but I don't know if that's a thing that happens. In any case, if it keeps up I'll just unsubscribe. I don't want to see it, I don't want it in my inbox, and it honestly should not exist anywhere in public, but definitely not on this thread, which I am forced to acknowledge belongs to the community and they can go against my wishes if they must.
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 2017-07-27 at 05:14 PM.

  10. - Top - End - #1300
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Fin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The Future...
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Pub: Off-topic chat for forum gamers

    Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy View Post
    And this thread is not a place for drama, accusations, discussion about an ongoing game, post-game beratements, or negativity. It's not what I intended when I started the thread. In fact, my first post should have been a clue that I'd be deeply disappointed by such things.

    I reported it so it can get removed, but I don't know if that's a thing that happens. In any case, if it keeps up I'll just unsubscribe. I don't want to see it, I don't want it in my inbox, and it honestly should not exist anywhere in public, but definitely not on this thread, which I am forced to acknowledge belongs to the community and they can go against my wishes if they must.
    Sorry you feel this way Askthepizzaguy, for what it's worth i hope they don't remove this thread as it didn't exist my first time round and I think it is a great addition to this forum.

    Also, I am in part responsible for the tone of recent conversation, rightly or wrongly, so I'll happily be the first to move the conversation on to more pleasant topics.

    Primarily, I am still running about with the idea of bringing back Backstabbery but I am torn between that and different type of game where there are no wolves just group objectives (such as riddles or puzzles that involve people leaving this site) with an end goal to achieve. The issue I am having is how to incorporate a voting mechanism into such a game as well as time cycles that allow everyone a fair crack at solving the puzzles as opposed to those in Australia just seeing the solutions that the Brits solved when they woke up 12 hours earlier
    Waiting for that day, when we all have the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Kris View Post
    I'll never trust you again. Even if we're on the same team. Even if the narrators tell me to.
    Monkeytar by me!/DYF Avatar by Mr Saturn!

  11. - Top - End - #1301
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ramsus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Pub: Off-topic chat for forum gamers

    Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy View Post
    I reported it
    Oh boy. Ok well if any mod shows up and decides how I behaved here is bad enough they feel like I should maybe be banned.... I'd really like you to not do that? If you feel that way I would accept voluntarily agreeing to not post in this section of the forum in the future for a specific length of time or even indefinitely if that's what would be deemed necessary. I have a lot of games I'm involved with in other sections of the forum and my interactions with the people here have absolutely no bearing on my interaction with people in those other sections. So I'd really appreciate at least that much leniency if that's something that winds up under consideration.

    Edit: Just to be clear to hopefully avoid any more potential drama, I am not being dramatic. This is something I am seriously concerned about. I don't think I've actually broken any rules here, but I also don't know how the mods think about things and I've had truly awful experiences with mods on other forums before.

    Edit 2: As an additional note, while I'm almost certain the mods won't care, I don't want anyone else to get punished in any way for anything involved with all this. But in case you're a mod and you're reading this and you consider my opinions for some reason, I'd rather nobody got punished. I don't think anyone actually did anything to deserve it.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2017-07-27 at 05:55 PM.

  12. - Top - End - #1302
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Murska's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Whose eye is that eye?
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Pub: Off-topic chat for forum gamers

    Probably worth just dropping it at this point. At least respect ATPG and talk in PMs if you must.

    Riddles and puzzles can be very interesting if done well. I don't really know how to solve the timezone issues without knowing about the setup any more than that, though.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

  13. - Top - End - #1303
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    rakkoon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Pub: Off-topic chat for forum gamers

    There was a llama llame duck game with puzzle sections in between about..7 years back? I think it's the meme one. There was for instance a contest to make the most ducky llame in paint or something.


    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Lex-Kat View Post
    "Leave my Rakkoon alone!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    What shall I say to thee, rakkoon, thou cruel,
    Ingrateful, savage and inhuman creature,
    That knewst the very bottom of my soul,
    That almost mightst have coined me into gold
    Wouldst thou have practiced on me for thy use?
    Supa Songs about me

    Thanks to Elder Tsofu for the banner and Rowsen for the avvie!

  14. - Top - End - #1304
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ramsus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Pub: Off-topic chat for forum gamers

    A B Normal Werewolf Game or Meta WW II

    Could use more than under 10 players.

  15. - Top - End - #1305
    Ghost in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Pub: Off-topic chat for forum gamers

    A very good analysis makes the strong success of the Nike brand

  16. - Top - End - #1306
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Logic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    WA, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Pub: Off-topic chat for forum gamers

    For those of you interested in some cross-site play, a friend over on The Total War Forums (affectionately called the org) is looking for 2-4 more players for a very small game.
    I hope to see you there.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Avatar by Ceika

  17. - Top - End - #1307
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    In the Interwebz
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Pub: Off-topic chat for forum gamers

    So, I had this idea for a mafia style game, but It's still not exactly worked out in my head. I need some advice and imput to see if I can polish it up and run it properly.

    Roles:
    Town:
    Plague Doctor: Has a night kill.
    Priest: Scrys if someone is infected or not each night.

    Mafia:
    Infected: Every even numbered night, you may choose one person to join you as infected.


    That is all the roles as is, what do you guys think?


    "I laugh at life, it's antics make for me a giddy game. Where only foolish fellows take themselves with solemn aim.”

  18. - Top - End - #1308
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    EST TZ

    Default Re: The Pub: Off-topic chat for forum gamers

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Tialait View Post
    So, I had this idea for a mafia style game, but It's still not exactly worked out in my head. I need some advice and imput to see if I can polish it up and run it properly.

    Roles:
    Town:
    Plague Doctor: Has a night kill.
    Priest: Scrys if someone is infected or not each night.

    Mafia:
    Infected: Every even numbered night, you may choose one person to join you as infected.


    That is all the roles as is, what do you guys think?
    Seems like an interesting concept. Its like a basic WW game but has the interesting twist of having the townies be the one doing the night kills. Seems much too easy for the town though. Perhaps the infected need something to give them an edge.
    My 5e Monster Features Index

    My D&D 5e homebrew

    The Necronomicon: an >30 Page Long Lovecraftian Mini-Supplement

    The Investigator Base Class Won 3rd place in the 1st GitP 5e base class contest

    Yubsharasehn Vampyres Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Theme of Shapeshifters

    Check here for my extended homebrew signature!

  19. - Top - End - #1309
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    In the Interwebz
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Pub: Off-topic chat for forum gamers

    Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Seems like an interesting concept. Its like a basic WW game but has the interesting twist of having the townies be the one doing the night kills. Seems much too easy for the town though. Perhaps the infected need something to give them an edge.
    Intresting, as I thought that maybe the Infected were too powerful, but maybe allow nightly infection? You start with 1, and each night they gain another one per infected. So, n1 two infected, n2 four infected, n3 eight infected. Given that games normally have 6-10 players I thought every other night allowing hte infection to spread would be a good idea.

    Could remove the scrying effect from the town, but I feel like without some kinda clues the infection simply wins.


    "I laugh at life, it's antics make for me a giddy game. Where only foolish fellows take themselves with solemn aim.”

  20. - Top - End - #1310
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    EST TZ

    Default Re: The Pub: Off-topic chat for forum gamers

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Tialait View Post
    Intresting, as I thought that maybe the Infected were too powerful, but maybe allow nightly infection? You start with 1, and each night they gain another one per infected. So, n1 two infected, n2 four infected, n3 eight infected. Given that games normally have 6-10 players I thought every other night allowing hte infection to spread would be a good idea.

    Could remove the scrying effect from the town, but I feel like without some kinda clues the infection simply wins.
    I am not quite sure how the infection idea would work out in actual play. You should probably due some theoretical tests with it. I can help you with that if needed.
    My 5e Monster Features Index

    My D&D 5e homebrew

    The Necronomicon: an >30 Page Long Lovecraftian Mini-Supplement

    The Investigator Base Class Won 3rd place in the 1st GitP 5e base class contest

    Yubsharasehn Vampyres Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Theme of Shapeshifters

    Check here for my extended homebrew signature!

  21. - Top - End - #1311
    Titan in the Playground
     
    AvatarVecna's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2014

    Default Re: The Pub: Off-topic chat for forum gamers

    I'm one of those people who ruins X-stalt/epic games for everybody who's just wanting to play legendary figures.

    Current Avatar (Sunny and Violet) was created by the incredibly talented AsteriskAmp.
    Many thanks!

  22. - Top - End - #1312
    Ghost in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Pub: Off-topic chat for forum gamers

    This is a great article. You will also like this because it is a great answer for many more reviews.

  23. - Top - End - #1313
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Norway
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Pub: Off-topic chat for forum gamers

    Hello folks.




    I have not been here in a long while.

    Anyone even remember me?

    Do you still have your playgrounders against day one cases signatures?

    I was just stopping by to say hello.

    I have a slightly ulterior motive as well, I am running a game on another site, which is not at all a werewolf game, which could use replacement players.

    But it's a bit of a long term game and we have had folks sign up for the game and flake out, so, you would have to be sure you really want to be in. If you want to hear about it, ping me back via PM or post here.

    If you just wanna say hello, then...



    Fleeing Coward: "We're both agreed that Banjo and I should be the next 2 to die, why are you so desperate to lynch me over Banjo today?"
    Pizzaguy: "Because there is a void, an emptiness in my soul, from having killed poor Eldritch Knight. And I can fill that void with your corpse, and put my danged pizza back on my avatar."

    Pizzaguy: "I'm gonna try and bane the folks you try to murder. It will be a fun game of cat and mouse."

    Pizzaguy: "Mason, Baner, Seer, is not a coincidence."

  24. - Top - End - #1314
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Murska's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Whose eye is that eye?
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Pub: Off-topic chat for forum gamers

    I mean, it really depends on what kind of game it is, since it's not a WW game.

    But hello. Glad to see you around.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

  25. - Top - End - #1315
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    BasketOfPuppies's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    A basket.

    Default Re: The Pub: Off-topic chat for forum gamers

    Welcome back, however short your stay. Unfortunately things have been slowing down here; Duck’s game is the only one in what feels like a couple of months.
    Last edited by BasketOfPuppies; 2019-05-01 at 02:26 AM.

  26. - Top - End - #1316
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Norway
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Pub: Off-topic chat for forum gamers

    Quote Originally Posted by Murska View Post
    I mean, it really depends on what kind of game it is, since it's not a WW game.

    But hello. Glad to see you around.
    The game is sort of like a survival horror game.

    You are given a character and you are on a map. Here is the map, just to give you an idea.

    In the spoiler:

    Spoiler
    Show


    Here is the map with the subway, elevated rail, and landmark boundaries highlighted.





    This map is pretty big, so feel free to open it up in a tab and use the magnifying glass.

    So your character and about 50+ other characters are still alive in the game and are attempting to escape the city.

    It should be as simple as walking off the edge of the map, but it is not. Something is compelling the survivors to remain inside the city. What that something is actually got revealed in one of the story posts already, and the survivors are trying to undo what was done, so they can escape the city.

    By the way, here is that story post. Highly recommended, sets the tone of the game and the story.

    M2: Greetings from Dr. Chaotix- 6:00 PM

    Inside the city are a bunch of other player characters, but also many non-player characters, most of which are hostile.

    As this is a Resident Evil themed survival game, most of the NPCs are zombies or other monsters and horrible creatures.

    Inside the game, scattered all over the map, are items you can find, and they are randomly generated for each player so even though other folks have been playing for a bit, the map is still filled with items.

    The items you can find are melee weapons, ranged weapons, sniper weapons, armor, healing items, stat-boosting herbs, and materials you can use to improvise barricades, traps, and other things that might help you survive.

    When the game began, almost all the landmark buildings were closed. Roughly half have been opened up.

    The solution to escaping the game could be found inside these landmark buildings, but it could be tough to get inside them, and you have to battle, run from, or hide from hordes of zombies as you attempt to make your way across the map.

    Not every player character in the game is friendly, some have their own objectives, fewer still are outright hostile, but the main antagonists for the majority of the players are the zombies.

    If you are slain, you have the option to remain in the game as a possible substitute player, or you can join the zombie horde and command a legion of zombies.

    Why you would wish to do so, is if you're enjoying the game and want to continue playing, but also because (for fun) we will be scoring each player at the end of the game.

    Your score will be based on your activity (sending in legal, on time orders, or orders at all), and based on completing objectives, like busting open landmarks, finding keys and hints, finding alternative routes of escape, personally escaping, personally surviving, personally killing zombies or other hostiles, and helping your team meet its team objectives.

    And even if you end up switching teams when you die, you will continue scoring points for yourself, in your new team.

    So, even if you die, it is possible to be a top scorer on your team, help your team finish victoriously, or even be the top scorer overall.

    Requirements to play:

    The game will take maybe 10 minutes of your time each week, minimum. It doesn't take long to tell me you want to go to tile F5 and search for items, for example. But if you meet other survivors, you can converse, strategize, and trade items if you want, so when you meet people, maybe you want to check in more often and converse and trade and plan out your moves together, if you want to work with them.

    The game moves at a fairly slow pace, about 1 turn per week. Later, when more people are dead, we can do 2 turns a week, and we can knock out the turns quickly.

    There is estimated to be about 6 months worth of turns remaining in the game.

    That's the biggie.

    Commitment:

    Now, I don't expect if you sign up, join the game, and hate the experience, that you will commit for all 6 months. Frankly, I am just happy someone was willing to try to sub in, and sent a few orders before deciding the game wasn't for them. Even if that's all you can give me it is better than nothing. Hopefully more players die off by then and I have actual subs.

    Learning how to play the game:

    Looks complicated, because there are so many rules and mechanics publicly posted. That's just for reference, though, so after you get cozy with the game, you know where to look for things yourself.

    But it is MY responsibility to help you play the game, until you know how.

    If you were like a first time dungeons and dragons player, your team or the DM would go out of their way to make the experience enjoyable by telling you what your options are in any given situation, so that you can make the most intelligent decisions possible.

    I can explain the pros and cons of each decision.

    This game is also far, far less complicated than dungeons and dragons, and I will walk you through your movement and action turns until you feel confident you know what kinds of orders to send in.

    People who have never played a game like this, or are not gamers at all, have played the previous iteration of this game and stuck through it for 6 months and had a blast.

    Don't be daunted by the game looking complicated. It isn't very, for the player.

    You're basically just telling me where you're going, what you're doing when you get there, and when you get there, if you're battling, searching, hiding, trading, and so on.

    It's not complicated for the player. The rules and mechanics make it so that you can just tell me what youre trying to do, and there is a mechanic for that, and a rule, and it is consistently applied for all players, and posted publicly. So you know each player is being treated fairly.

    You can ask me anything at any time, and especially if you answer your PMs quickly or use Discord (preferred) or some other instant messaging service, you will get a rapid response.

    I will park my butt in front of the computer and answer all your questions anytime I am online.

    There is no public discussion, this is a game of limited line of sight and hidden movements, because you can hide from enemies and potential threats. Only if you're within a tile of someone, or have a radio and they have a radio, can you communicate.

    For all the information you could ever need about the game, this thread exists, and it is not a place you can post.

    Resident Evil Resurrection: GAME THREAD

    I personally recommend scrolling down to post number 3 of that thread. It contains the Index.

    Here is what you will find there:
    So, as you can see, it is rather easy to find what you're looking for.

    There is a lot to read, but you don't really have to read literally any of that to play.

    Just tell me you want in, and I will walk you through the game.

    You need to look at the map, and tell me where you're going. And then, during action phase, what youre doing when youre there.

    EZ Peasy.


    Anyone who is interested, please contact me via discord, or PM, here or there.

    I have several slots that could use people. The game took a couple month hiatus when I got sick recently, so I lost players during that time.

    Thanks for hearing me out!
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 2019-05-01 at 10:32 PM.
    Fleeing Coward: "We're both agreed that Banjo and I should be the next 2 to die, why are you so desperate to lynch me over Banjo today?"
    Pizzaguy: "Because there is a void, an emptiness in my soul, from having killed poor Eldritch Knight. And I can fill that void with your corpse, and put my danged pizza back on my avatar."

    Pizzaguy: "I'm gonna try and bane the folks you try to murder. It will be a fun game of cat and mouse."

    Pizzaguy: "Mason, Baner, Seer, is not a coincidence."

  27. - Top - End - #1317
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Norway
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Pub: Off-topic chat for forum gamers

    Contact me on Discord by adding me:

    Askthepizzaguy#7803
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 2019-05-02 at 12:25 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •