New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [IC: A Game of Thrones Alternate History - Pathfinder E6]

Mariwen Edgewater
    Mott's smithy, King's Landing, Group A

Mariwen tries to engage the older boy in light conversation while Jonah talks to the master smith. "I hear Jon Arryn came here, as well as the new Hand, lord Stark. How exciting!" She smiles. "Did you talk to them while they were here?"

Spoiler: Diplomacy
    Show
    Diplomacy (1d20+7)[16]

2. - Top - End - #182
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

The Street of Steel
    Mariwen & Ser Jonah

"Well of course my lady, even the Hand of the King speaks with master Tobho Mott. Lord Arryn was quite interested in commissioning his own armour. A beautiful thing it would have been. And lord Stark" *pause* "He was interested in purchasing a helmet. Gendry go and fetch the helm the Hand was interested in."

Spoiler: Perception 15
    Show
    When Tobho paused he glanced at Gendry, the teenage smith. He seemed very concerned about whatever had happened that day.

The Tower of the Hand
    Claw/Mern

"I had heard the Braavosi were as quick with their words as their swords," Eddard replied chuckling. "I am seeking someone to train a young boy. He doesn't have the strength to fight in the manner of a knight or full grown man, and I had heard that there were traditions in Essos that even women used. You are young, but in this case that might not count against you. What can you show me of the duelling forms of Braavos?"
    Last edited by MrE; 2014-05-31 at 06:46 AM.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

Claw, Foundling of the Black and White Temple, Mern of King's Landing
    Tower of the Hand, King's Landing, Westeros
    Group B

Claw lets out an inward sigh of relief. He had been bold speaking such, and it had worked.
    I am not trained in the water dance, as many of the warriors of Braavos are, but I am far from defenseless. What would you say is the deadliest weapon, Lord Stark? I refer to blades, not rumors or poisons.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

4. - Top - End - #184
    Troll in the Playground

Jonah Lorimer
    The Smithy

Jonah takes the measurements, but the price tag is rather steep at the moment. “You’ll have to forgive me, master Mott. My House is not what it once was. I may have to settle for something your apprentices have made. For now,” because Jonah did intend to come back. For multiple reasons. “Once I acquire the necessary gold dragons, I will come back and ask you for a greatsword. If I am to have a weapon of such quality, it should be of the style I favor.”

Jonah noticed that glance. He cut his eyes towards Gendry. So there was the source of the issue. But why?

“Master Mott, your apprentice looks like a strong boy. How long has he been in your service?”
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

Mariwen Edgewater
    Mott's smithy, King's Landing, Group A

Mariwen didn't catch the look, she was too preoccupied with what Jonah had talked to her about. She does, however, pay attention when Jonah asks about the boy. Something about this smithy was important, and she didn't want to miss anything.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

Aisaroth
    King's Landing, unspecified group b

Having burned through his initial funds in a flash, Aisaroth came to suspect that the world of intrigue was more expensive than he have previously calculated. With a tournament coming up and a cover to establish, He set to producing troll styptic for idiots with more money than sense who didn't want an injury to stop them from running back for more injuries. A wretched and unfortunate mishap in his efforts left him down the cost of the reagents.

Spoiler: craft(alchemy) check
    Show

(1d20+10)[13]
    Last edited by Mabn; 2014-05-30 at 03:32 PM.

7. - Top - End - #187

RedKnightGirl

The Street of Steel
    Mariwen & Ser Jonah

"Er, must be six or so years now," he replied flustered, "I will find you some of the better work of my apprentices now, there will still be something suitable I think." Both Mariwen and Jonah detect that Mott is flustered and hiding something, but he won't give up his secrets without some sort of pressure (Diplomacy or Intimidate etc).

The Tower of the Hand
    Claw/Mern

"So you are not a braavos? I had hoped for one. I will humour you though: I believe the deadliest blade is a sword, flexible and is used in a number of styles, a man with a sword and the right training can defeat a man with an axe or a spear."

"What is your name, braavosi?"

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

Group B

Claw smiles.
    I thought you would say that, warrior that you are. As for my name, call me Tormo Antaryon. And my answer to the question is the knife, because you can kill before your enemy knows you are armed.
    Claws pulls one of his knives from his sleeve.
    Now, the boy you want trained isn't strong enough for a true sword. But knives don't need strength, just speed.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Yes, I did just steal two sealord names. I'm awful at names, which Claw wouldn't be. Going to be the actual hardest part of this character.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

9. - Top - End - #189
    Troll in the Playground

Ser Jonah

The way the smith reacts only confirms Jonah’s theory. He didn’t give Mott long to compose himself. After but a few seconds, Jonah followed the man and spoke softly to him, for only he and Mariwen to hear.

“Master Mott, I may be a man without vast riches of gold, but I always offer my friendship. What may be a small conversation and a shield today could turn into a long relationship that would benefit us both. I never forget my friends.”

Jonah speaks with deep reserves of charisma. It comes less from flowery words and more from a well-placed smile. He doesn’t ask directly for Mott to speak his secrets. Jonah wants Mott to want to do that himself.

Spoiler: Diplomacy
    Show
    24 - Rolled in the OOC.
    Last edited by SuperCracker; 2014-05-31 at 10:38 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #190

RedKnightGirl

The Street of Steel
    Mariwen & Ser Jonah

Mott looks concerned as he sorts through the rack of weapons near the back. He picks one out that fits his earlier measurements and then hands it to Jonah. "The Hands, both of them, they wanted to know about the boy, Gendry. I don't know why, but lord Eddard he came here, and at first he was asking after lord Arryn, and then he saw the boy. He offered to pay for him to be trained as a warrior." He then grabs a shield off the wall and gives that to Jonah as well "And, well, six years ago, a nobleman paid his apprenticeship fee, though I don't know who or why."

Returning to Mariwen he says in a louder voice "If you need that shield painting up with your heraldry I know a good man I can put you in contact with." At that point Gendry returns looking sullen with an amazingly detailed helmet shaped like a bull, with horns and all.

The Tower of the Hand
    Claw/Mern

The Hand clearly thinks for a moment, before shaking his head. "I am afraid that I do not think your skills will be appropriate for this endeavour. Teaching this 'boy' to use a knife is not what I had hoped to gain from this truly. But, perhaps you could help me find one of your countrymen who is better versed in the sword? It would be a great help for me, I already have a lot to deal with. Too much in truth."

Chattaya's Brothel
    Aisaroth

After Aisaroth's rather disappointing tests, he is surprised to find a letter from grand maester Pycelle himself. It is a simple invitation to visit him at the keep, but says nothing of what the meeting might hold.
    Last edited by MrE; 2014-05-31 at 11:27 AM.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

Aisaroth
    King's Landing

With an overabundance of paranoia and particular distrust of Pycelle that had served him well for several lifetimes, Aisaroth attempted to make contact with Mern before meeting the Grand Maester. Seeing personally to his death wasn't Pycelle's style, but and old man did need an assistant for all those stairs...

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

Mariwen Edgewater
    Mott's smithy, King's Landing

Mariwen considers what the smith had said, and looks at the boy Gendry again, trying to figure out what lord Arryn and lord Stark both had seen in him. She tries to engage him in conversation once more. "What did the Hand talk to you about?"

Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    Diplomacy(1d20+7)[10] Perception(1d20+1)[10]

13. - Top - End - #193
    Troll in the Playground

Jonah Lorimer
    Mott’s Smithy

Jonah listened to Mott. He confirmed Jonah’s suspicion that everything was about that boy. He was obviously a noble’s bastard, but whose? What could be so important about him that two Hands would come to look upon him? It was something they saw, based on how Stark acted. When Gendry came back into the room, Jonah turned his blue eyes upon the boy.

And it hit him.

Gendry is Robert Baratheon's bastard.

Jonah turned his head back towards Master Mott and speaks softly to him. “What you have just told me; tell no one else, no matter how good their supposed intentions.”

Jonah walked towards Gendry, stopping before him. He wondered why the boy seemed sullen, but he thought his words may cheer the boy up. “Gendry, is that right? My name is Ser Jonah Lorimer. If the time comes that you wish to leave this place, I am willing to make you my squire. I’ll teach you to fight and to lead.”
    Last edited by SuperCracker; 2014-06-01 at 01:31 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #194

RedKnightGirl

The Street of Steel
    Mariwen & Jonah

Gendry turns to Mariwen, clearly a shy young man and says cautiously: "He asked t' buy m' helm m'lady, an' he offered t' teach me t' fight, if I wanted it. Lord Stark tha' was. I never spoke t' the one before 'im." Gendry's accent is thick, and Mariwen recognises it as the local Flea Bottom accent. It is perhaps exaggerated by his shyness however.

Gendry glances up at Jonah's words and shakes his head confused. "A squire. So I could be a knight?" He seems rightly shocked by this news, but doesn't immediately make a move to leave. Mott looks on clearly anxious, though he only has half of the picture clearly. He accepts Jonah's advice readily, and swears to keep it to himself. Jonah hands over the required silver for the equipment (35gp).

Chattaya's Brothel
    Aisaroth

Mern was not present at the brothel, nor could Aisaroth find any trace of him until he found Lyra Sand and Kevyn Rivers dicing in one of the rooms, and Kevyn explained that Mern had already headed to the Red Keep to see the Hand about taking up a position in his service. Aisaroth could go alone, or take one of these two, or seek out Mern in the Tower of the Hand.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Group B

Claw grimaces, replacing his knife.
    Very well, my lord. I will see who I can find. I hope your boy s never in a situation where he needs to find a new weapon. Swords are harder to come by than knives.
    This last part is spoken as he turns to leave.

Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    Sleight of Hand to reconceal the dagger : (1d20+7)[20]

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

16. - Top - End - #196
    Troll in the Playground

Ser Jonah
    Mott’s Smithy

For right now, Jonah is playing the game with more information than anyone else on the board. Mott is right to be anxious. Royal bastards often wind up dead when claims are pressed. But if Jonah has one, then he can both protect the boy and find a use for him somewhere down the line. It’s simply an opportunity he will not pass up.

“Gendry, I am the heir to the Iron Fingers. My house is not one of the great houses of Westeros, but I will one day be a lord. If you serve me well and show me that you are wise, strong, and loyal… then when that time comes, I will have the power to knight you myself.”

Jonah smiled at the boy. He seemed like a good young lad. He would need work, training… but Jonah could do worse.

“In fact, myself and a knight named Ser Sain Eastfall will be training together for the upcoming tournament. We could begin your study there.”
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

Mariwen Edgewater

Mariwen follows the conversation quietly, figuring Jonah would know better what to talk to a smith about. It was about the boy, but what was is? She studies him, unable to put her finger on it.

18. - Top - End - #198

RedKnightGirl

The Tower of the Hand
    Mern/Claw

"I pray that the day never comes when he needs a weapon at all," Eddard responds melancholically.

Spoiler: Sense Motive DC 10
    Show
    There is more to this boy than Eddard is letting on.

"I thank you for your time, master Tormo Antaryon, and I will pay you well for your services." Eddard grimaces afterwards.

Spoiler: Sense Motive DC 12
    Show
    Something about payment/money is weighing heavily on the Hand.

The Street of Steel
    Jonah & Mariwen

"Yes, ser, yes I mean, m'lord. Yes, I'll do it." The boy does not conceal his excitement at all, and his tools lie forgotten on the anvil already. Tobho just watches as his apprentice prepares to leave him, aware that he doesn't know what is going on, but that there are powerful forces at work."Should I come with you now? I don't have my own weapons or armour, ser, just this helm."

19. - Top - End - #199
    Troll in the Playground

Ser Jonah
    Mott’s Smithy

Jonah maintains his smile, nodding to the boy. “After the tournament I doubt I'll be using this sword and shield very often. I favor the greatsword. I'll train you in both, but you'll use these. Good. Go fetch your things, and be certain you thank Master Mott for the kindness he has given you. It will not be the last time you see him.”

Jonah waits for the boy to go and he turns to Mott. Jonah once more offers his hand. “I wish I could tell you more… maybe someday. But for now, remember that I never forget my friends. We will meet again soon.”

Though Jonah is not revealing his motives, Mariwen would know just by the sudden offer to the boy that there was a major reason why he did so.
    Last edited by SuperCracker; 2014-06-01 at 08:05 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

Aisaroth
    King's Landing

Reluctantly, Aisaroth left on his own to meet with Pycelle.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ettin in the Playground

Davon Barlor, King's Landing, Street of Steel

Davon slowly trotted forward on the back of his beloved mount, Bloodrush. The armored horse neighed softly, even as it's disturbing red eyes glared at any dirty potential horse thieves and miscreants it still managed to keep itself in perfect rhythm with Davon's slowly swaying body. His newly forged greataxe rested upon his back, while his trusty and reliable lance was hooked to the side of his mount. King's Landing was full of would be knights and stuck up nobles, yet Davon was determined to avoid such a fate. He was to be a true legend! Earlier that day, Davon had sent a message back to Lord Stark informing him that he would gladly be a champion for the Hand. Simply having the opportunity to stand as a representative for the Hand was something that Davon would have paid for! Nevertheless, Davon required a Squire and better heraldry for this competition, and so he deemed it fit to kill 2 birds with one stone and go to the Street of Steel. Find the boy The Hand was interested in, acquire some equipment, and become the Champion for the Warden of the North! Now only to find this Smith....
    Last edited by Tychris1; 2014-06-01 at 06:00 PM.
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

Group B

Claw sees himself out, noting the stress in the Hand's voice at mention of payment. Perhaps the Iron Bank was getting impatient. Everyone who was anyone owed them something, after all. But the Hand wasn't Master of Coin. That was his boss. Which brought up the question of how he was being paid. It gave him something to ponder while listening around for information about any Braavosi of note who were in the city.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Diplomacy to Gather Information : (1d20+2)[20]
    Knowledge (Local) if it helps : (1d20+6)[14]

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

23. - Top - End - #203

RedKnightGirl

The Street of Steel
    Jonah, Mariwen & Davon

Gendry nods, and rushes off, and within minutes has returned with a small sack that clearly contains his few possessions. He stuffs his helm in the top and thanks master Mott, though rather emotionlessly. Before following Jonah out of the door. Down the street a familiar looking knight is riding a gigantic war horse towards them.

Davon, riding down the noisy street sees Jonah Lorimer leaving the smithy of Tobho Mott, the smith Davon had come to see, and following behind Jonah is a young man, about fifteen years old, with the thick arms and shoulders of a smith's apprentice.

The Streets of King's Landing
    Mern/Claw

It doesn't take Claw long to hear word of a number of his countrymen in the city; many had come to Westeros in the wake of Robert's rule, which was far laxer than in the time of Aerys, the mad king. Most were sailors of some shade, though Claw found one who owned a brothel near Chattaya's and another who ran a tailors on the Street of Silk. But he found only one who could fulfill lord Stark's position.

Approaching the docks, Claw was directed to a small boarding house, famous for catering to foreigners, and there in the courtyard he found the man. Syrio Forel stood with a slender wooden sword and faced off against three other men, one Lyseni and two Braavosi, and the four men fought a flowing and yet rapid dance. Claw had heard the man had been the First Sword of Braavos once upon a time, and his skill was clear; after only seconds the three men were disarmed.

The Red Keep
    Aisaroth

Aisaroth was accompanied to the tower where Pycelle lived, though the by seemed incredibly intimidated by his guest. Eventually, Aisaroth was let in to see the grand maester, and he was ushered into Pycelle's study.

The room was comfortable, though not spacious, with a desk and a few chairs. There was a door in one wall to his private rooms Aisaroth assumed, and an annex behind Pycelle's chair which seemed to have a number of cabinets and a set of stairs. Aisaroth could faintly hear the chatter of birds, and assumed that Pycelle had his own stock of ravens above.

"Maester Aisaroth," the old man began, sounding genial, "I had not expected to see you in King's Landing. You are doing exceptionally well, I must say. Many of our order believed you were dead, and clearly you are not, so yes, looking well indeed."

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

Mariwen Edgewater

After Jonah and the young apprentice, Mariwen exits the smithy, and walks up next to ser Jonah. "I'll walk with you, if you don't mind," she smiles. "It's a large city, and easy to get lost."

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

Docks, King's Landing, Westeros
    Group B

Claw claps as the master swordsman defeats the amateurs.
    M'lord Syrio, I have an offer for you.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

Aisaroth
    Red Keep

Aisaroth sat down across from Pycelle, eager to take the load of his chain-mail of his back."Unless the order wishes to acknowledge my study of ghosts that would seem the only logical conclusion."

27. - Top - End - #207
    Troll in the Playground

Ser Jonah
    Street of Steel

“I would be delighted,” he said to Mariwen with a small smile. There were too many people out here to discuss anything. Jonah thought it might be best to go somewhere more private. He was already guiding the trio away from the smithy. He made sure to glance about for the man in the cloak.. the one he’d seen earlier.

“Gendry, from here on out, I want you to pay attention to everything I say or do. You aren’t here simply to help me with my armor and carry things. You’re with me to learn.”

They continued onward for some paces before Jonah saw the massive warhorse, and the giant of a man riding it. Davon Barlor. No sense in trying to beat a quick escape from the street now.

“Ser Davon,” Jonah calls out as the man drew near. “Purchasing gear for the tournament, I take it?”
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #208

RedKnightGirl

The Docks, King's Landing
    Claw

"Ah, I am no lord, boy," replies the Water Dancer approaching, "What offer does the boy bring? From Braavos, or from Westeros?" He seems quite calm and relxed, not even sweating despite his exertions.

The Red Keep, King's Landing
    Aisaroth

"Er, ha-, no," Pycelle replies, still attempting geniality in the face of Aisaroth's gloom. "I had cause to wonder what brought one such as yourself to the capital?" He asked, looking askance at Aisaroth's appearance, especially his armour.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Docks, King's Landing, Westeros
    Group B

Claw smiles.
    Lord Stark, the Hand of the King, seeks a master of the water dance to train a boy in his service. I saw you practicing, and remembered you from tales when I was younger.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

Mariwen Edgewater
    Street of Steel, King's Landing

Lady Mariwen nods to Ser Devon politely. Thinking he is probably out in the same errand as herself, she does not make any sign that she knows him.