Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 142930313233343536373839
Results 1,141 to 1,161 of 1161
  1. - Top - End - #1141
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The CHALLENGE chugs on!

Status for May 29 - June 4

Glass Mouse passes with 6107 of sci fi story.

Lycunadari passes with 7 nature pictures and a drawing.

jseah passes with 881 words for Hero's War and 689 words for Shattered Alliance.

Xiander passes with 3167 words for Enigma Inc.

Lovely Vulcan didn’t upload anything again– are you still in?

Thus LovelyVulcan FAILS this round!

Glass Mouse, Lycunadari, jseah and Xiander PASS this round!

Current standing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Glass Mouse
    Current run: 1
    Longest run: 290 weeks
    Themes: -

Lycunadari
    Current run: 230 weeks
    Longest run: -

jseah
    Current Run: 69 weeks
    Longest Run: 33 weeks

Xiander
    Current run: 48 weeks

Lovely Vulcan
    Current run: -
    Longest run: 3

LeSwordfish
    Longest run: 44 weeks

Icewalker
    Longest run: 31 weeks

------

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    Feels weird being on this side of the submissions! But here is my week's writing: 6107 words of sci-fi story.
    Yup, feels weird.

Question for you peeps - do you want me to also upload my stuff somewhere and to post it here as proof?
    You can call me Juniper.
    Please use gender-neutral pronouns (they/their or ze/hir) when referring to me.

Stories (Not just German anymore!) DeviantArt

Lycunadari

2. - Top - End - #1142
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lycunadari View Post
    Yup, feels weird.

Question for you peeps - do you want me to also upload my stuff somewhere and to post it here as proof?
    After 227-ish weeks, I trust you to keep your word, but I'll also miss seeing your photos and sketches, so if you wanna post or keep on sending them to someone, I woudn't mind at all!
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

3. - Top - End - #1143

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    After 227-ish weeks, I trust you to keep your word, but I'll also miss seeing your photos and sketches, so if you wanna post or keep on sending them to someone, I woudn't mind at all!
    Okay.

Last weeks stuff!
    Spoiler: Nature pic
    Show

Show

Show

Show

Show

Show

Show

Spoiler: It's pride month and all my characters are queer. This is Arin.
    Show
    You can call me Juniper.

Lycunadari

4. - Top - End - #1144

Draw Everything June makes me draw weird poses I'd never draw otherwise.

Spoiler: Shy witch
    Show

Spoiler: Crawl
    Show

Spoiler: Music fairy
    Show

Spoiler: Huntress
    Show

Show

Show

Show

Show

Show
    Last edited by Lycunadari; 2017-06-11 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Forgot the draw everything june link.
    You can call me Juniper.

Lycunadari

5. - Top - End - #1145
    Ogre in the Playground

My stuff for this week:

20+ pages of roleplaying log which includes character snippets, summaries and drawings. Link to a few photos.

One scene from said roleplaying.

One painted apple for my "Surrealism" costume this weekend.

Draw Everything June makes me draw weird poses I'd never draw otherwise.
    Holy beep, that's a great idea, I want in!
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

6. - Top - End - #1146
    Ogre in the Playground

514 words for Hero's War

Spoiler
    Show
    She never got the chance though.
    A large explosion knocked Yvon out of her thoughts. It felt as if something had hit her in the side, a wave of pressure that rattled the windows and made the ground vibrate. Her ears rang and her eyes watered. She had no time to wonder what that sound was though, the roof of the kitchen groaned ominously. The girl looked up to find the timbers cracked and sagging. Guided by a bad premonition and blind panic, she dashed out of the door, oily bowl still clutched forgotten in her hand.
    The house was missing a huge chunk of its front, as if a giant man had taken a bite out of it, and the entire structure was sagging ominously. Bits of roof landed around Yvon and tangled in her hair, then what was left sighed and fell in.
    Just... what could happened here to have caused that? Yvon stared, then the shouts and angry yells from the road drew her attention again. The two groups were still there but unlike before, they were glaring at each other, swords drawn and wands at the ready.
    They weren't fighting so much the three defenders of the village had scared the others off. The eight men and women were now six, the other two being splattered across a large portion of the road. A terrible stench of blood wafted from the crater in the dirt, Yvon choked down her breakfast that seemed to creep up her throat. The six attackers scrambled backwards then ran off down the road out of the village.
    "You're a genius, Kelly! I take back everything I said about your exploding rocks!"
    The lead knight clapped one of his companions in the arm cheerily, waving at the crater. The woman muttered something back and ducked her head bashfully. None of them appeared to be at all disturbed by the blood splatter in front of them, merely kicking over some dirt to bury the body parts.
    The knights were just celebrating. After having blown up Farmer Iro's house. Yvon had to tell herself not to be sick, her stomach grumbled queasily in protest, who knew if they would take offense and kill her out of hand? She looked back at the house blankly. What was she supposed to do now? Those three people jeered at the retreating attackers and then turned around to walk back.
    Faced with the destruction of everything again, all she could do was stare. And she was still in that state when the closest neighbours and Iro's wife came running up to the demolished house.
    "Yvon! What happened here? Are you all right?"
    Madam Price snapped at her urgently. Yvon looked up at the woman and replied hollowly, "the knights were fighting someone. "
    The farmer's wife patted her down and sighed in relief as she turned up unhurt, then the woman turned to the ruined house. "Oh Selna, what are we going to do? I'll go get my husband, those knights have gone too far this time!"

1116 words for Ar Tonelico fanfic
    Spoiler
    Show
    "it's nice to meet you. "
    "Same here. If you're new here, we should show you around. The grounds can be confusing and the less said about the dorms the better," Nomi replied, "it's a maze in here and I have to see a new girl not get lost on her way to the showers. "
    Aya nodded. Despite only being older than Yoake by a year, and younger than Aya by the same, Nomi seemed to have an older personality. Or perhaps it was just Yoake who wasn't acting her age.
    "Then let's go!" Yoake said, grabbing Koneko's arm.
    "Ah! My sandwich!"
    With that last despairing cry, Koneko was dragged out of the cafeteria by the scruff of her neck. Nomi shrugged at Aya's questioning gaze and picked up the lonely sandwich remaining on the plate before taking the dishes to the cleaning tray.
    "I could almost pity you, having Yoake for a roommate," Nomi said, "she often gets in trouble for playing pranks. She'll drag you into extra dishwashing and toilet duty if you're not careful. "
    Aya giggled, "I'm sure she'll be fine. She's fun to be around. I wouldn't want to dampen such a bright spirit. "
    "That is the upside of course. Still, I do hope you can help her grow up a little. "

The Church of El Elemia was a large complex, with training grounds and classrooms in the area opposite from the dormitories. Sandwiched in between the two sections, along the main road in, was the administrative offices where the church managed their patrols and relations with the citizens of the Tower. There was a new building being constructed there too, the re-established contact with the city of Platina wanted to create a copy of Second Era technology and needed to be reassured of the security.
    In the center where the road led to, a big parade ground sat in front of the church building. Containing a statue of the Trio of Elemia, the grounds were where sorties gathered before leaving on missions. The Priests and Reyvateils used the open space as a convenient mustering point.
    The church itself was a small and unassuming building at the remaining side of the square. The oldest building in the complex, the church was small because it was constructed far in the past, when Nemo was a smaller city. No one wanted to desecrate it and so no work could be done on it beyond repairs. The Bishop and all the Cardinals could just about fit inside when fully gathered. While largely ceremonial, the church was still a place of significance and Nomi led their group to say a quick prayer in front of the original smaller statue of the Goddesses.
    Further out, there was also a hospital where Reyvateils good at healing worked at, a blasting range for spell practice and an entire street for grathmelding work. That last one was a cacophony of overlapping songs, magic washing hither and tither as Song Magic employed in the workshops echoed out onto the street. Despite the different tunes and rhythms, none of it sounded dissonant to Aya, the Songs slotting into each other.
    "Song Magic is like that," Yoake explained at Aya's question.
    "No matter how many people are singing, and no matter what you're singing, as long as it's a Song, it will sound beautiful," Nomi said, "yes, even if you don't have a good singing voice. All Reyvateils can Sing. "
    "And to us Reyvateils, Song Magic sounds especially good! We're sensitive and the Song echoes in you," Koneko added, "you don't often see Reyvateils buy music. Magic practice gives you all the music you need in your life!"
    They took a break on the grathmelding street, listening to the Songs while sipping at a cold soft drink. Supposedly, the drink was a grathmeld product but the priest had given it to them, saying that he had made too many.
    And then it was the long walk back to the class D dormitories where the group had lunch then went to the blasting range for their daily Song Magic practice.

The blasting range was a large open field filled with sand. Or it was supposed to be filled with sand except that the sand had been cratered and fused where blasts of heat, electricity and chilling winds had smashed the same patch of ground over and over. The old range was now nothing more than a blackened burned mess beyond the firing line.
    Many of their classmates were there too, the plain grey robes showing them to Aya even though she hadn't met any of the others. Class Ds had mandatory practice and therefore were the most common sight at this field. Other reyvateils only visited when they had new magic to perfect.
    "Oi, the new girl!" A cheery voice called Aya over as the group stepped onto the range. It was an older woman, with a blue edged white robe that Aya had come to learn meant a class C healer.
    Nomi nodded at her while leading Yoake and Koneko ahead.
    "Hey there, I haven't seen you before, you're a new reyvateil?" the healer asked as she approached Aya. Aya nodded and noted how she was still keeping an eye on the lines of reyvateils battering at the empty sand.
    "I'm Chulsi, healer on duty this month," she shook Aya's hand in greeting. "All right, I'll introduce you to the rules of the blasting range. First, you see that line in the sand? Do not cross that line. Everything beyond is where magic can hit and with some of the blasts being thrown about here, you can suffer serious injuries or even die. Second rule, if you're using Red Magic, meaning attack magic, you must be at the line facing out there. If I see you violate either of those two rules, you get booted from the range until I'm satisfied you can follow the rules. Understand?"
    She pointed at the group standing behind the firing line, "now, it's not a rule but I strongly suggest that you practice Blue Magic, that is support magic, here at the range too. New reyvateils or using a new Song can sometimes backfire and until you are very confident in your control, you shouldn't practice Blue elsewhere. And fourth, also not a hard rule but again one I strongly suggest you follow, don't practice red unless I or another healer is around. Just in case something happens. If you must sing, sing Blue. "
    Aya nodded seriously.

7. - Top - End - #1147

Man! i forgot to upload yesterday.

Here is a 2351 words short story.

Spoiler: Legend of the red unicorn
    Show
    David Taylor read the last sentence on the page, gave it some consideration, then flipped on to the next page. The detective was about to talk to the murder victim’s secret lover.
    It was rather exciting.
    “I’m telling you, you need to turn left!” Artemis bitched from the front passenger seat.
    “I know the way.” Grumbled Driver, ignoring her advice and going straight at the intersection.
    “Dammit, we’re going to be late at this rate.” Artemis complained.
    “What’s my bloody name?” Driver asked annoyed.
    “Driver.” Artemis admitted.
    “So shut your trap and let me drive.”
    David breathed a sigh, put in his bookmark and closed his book. He shot a glance at Wilder, who was looking out the carwindow as buildings flashed by.
    Not big on patience, Driver was ignoring several trafic regulations including speed limits, stop signs and more or less everything else.
    “If we had gone my way…” artemis began.
    “We would have been there by now.” Driver finished. “Heard it.”
    “Come on.” She whined. “Tell him I’m right.”
    She turned around to stare at Wilder expectantly. Wilder tore his attention away from the streets zipping past long enough to give her a non comittal shrug.
    She gave an annoyed shriek and turned back to nag Driver some more, but never got the chance.
    “Here we are.” Driver proclaimed, as he took the last right turn going twice as fast as he probably should have. He jammed the breaks and the car slid to a halt outside a dilapidated appartment building.
    Artemis nearly kicked open the door and got out. She rose to her full height and ajusted the short, tight fitting white dress she had spent an hour picking out for the job.
    David wondered about the amount of energy this girl could put into her dresses,shoes and hair. Between fasion and complaining, it was a wonder she had any time left to actually accomplish things.
    Driver stepped around the car to stand next to her. He wasn’t quite as tall, and with his broad shoulders he looked almost comically blocky next to her slim form. His short dark hair contrasted with her long blonde curls, just like his dark suit contrasted with her white dress.
    The two of them looked like they were going to a gala somewhere. That look was immediately compromised, when Wilder finished taking off his seatbelt, hefted his cane and got out next to them.
    He was short, slight of frame and the cane made him seem even more frail. While his T-shirt and vest look was technically acceptable for finer occasions, it revealed enough of the flame tattoo covering his chest and neck to make him stand out.
    David tucked his book under one arm and pushed open the car door. He joined the others on the curb, completely ruining the Gala look.
    His beige sweater, doughy face and round spectacles, made him look more like a history teacher than a member of this group.
    “This is the place?” Artemis snorted. “It’s a dump.”
    Driver grunted in agreement. Wilder just shrugged.
    “No time to look at real estate.” Wilder’s voice was strange and lilting, with an accent David had never really been able to place. Probably scandinavian he thought. “We have a job to do.”
    “Right.” Said Driver and wiped his forehead with the back of his hand. “It’s this door.”
    With Driver leading the way, they made it to the entrance of the appartment building.
    To no one’s surprise, the door was locked. There was a doorphone and it was expected that visitors knew someone willing to let them in.
    While they were technically visiting one of the residents, David did not expect he would unlock the door for them, even if they asked him nicely.
    “Let me.” Wilder mumbled.
    He grabbed the handle of the door, and there was a clicking sound as the electronic lock failed. He pushed the door open and gestured for the rest of them to enter ahead of him.
    “Stairs or elevator?” Driver asked.
    “Two each.” Wilder answered.
    There was a certain sense of ritual about it. They looked at each other and silently decided that neither Wilder nor David were made for stairs.
    Without a word Driver and Artemis went for the stairwell, leaving Wilder and David to take the elevator. The thing was ancient, slow and dirty. David didn’t really like the confined space, but he liked the stairs less so he got in, pressed the button for floor six and turned to see Wilder shuffle in behind him.
    For a few moments they just stood there, waiting for the door to close and the lift to begin it’s snail-like ascension.
    “Are we sure the target is here?” Wilder asked.
    The man was strange looking and had a lot of odd mannerisms, but he was at his core a professional. In a situation like this, Wilder would always be focused on the task at hand.
    “He was until an hour ago.” David confirmed. “He might have left in the meantime, but we are certain some of his accompliches are still here.”
    Wilder just nodded.
    In the small man’s mind, David was sure a complete plan of the building was laid out with exits clearly marked and the team represented with little figures, opposed by aproximate guesses for where any resistance would appear.
    So many people underestimated Wilder because of his lame leg and his small frame, but the man was a tactical genius.
    “How many?” Wilder asked thoughtfully.
    “At least five.” David gave it some deliberation. “Probably no more than ten.”
    Another thoughtful nod from Wilder.
    With a clunky sound, the elevator ground to a halt and the doors opened with a ding. They stepped out and were met by Driver and Artemis, who had gone up the stairs faster than the elevator.
    There were several doors, but they all knew which one to head for.
    Appartment 2A had a tattered old welcome mat and a name plate which was obviously outdated. The doorbell had a sticker on it with the words “Out of ord..” barely visible.
    “Let’s go introduce ourselves.” Wilder gestured towards the door.
    “Right.” Driver mumbled, squaring his shoulders and taking a deep breath.
    Out of reflex everyone else took a step to the side, as Driver flexed, getting ready for his entrance.
    With a short punctuated shout, he kicked the door. David wondered at how inadequate that phrase was to describe what Driver did to the inanimate object. His foot hit it with all the force of a sledgehammer and the old wood simply splintered and fell apart.
    From inside the apartment there was a surprised shout, then the sound of several guns being drawn and readied. David was pretty sure Driver was face to face with at least five handguns.
    “Think this over.” Driver said, clearly and calmly, like he was talking about which restaurant to dine at. “You really don’t want to shoot me.”
    Apparantly the men in the room disagreed with his assesment. Someone pulled the trigger, and everyone else follwed suit.
    The noise was deafening.
    David lost count of the number of shots. Lead slugs hammered against walls and plaster was flying everywhere.
    Then suddenly, there was silence.
    “Really?” Driver sounded almost disappointed. “All those bullets and you only hit me five times.”
    There wasn’t a scratch on him, and he didn’t look hurt in the very least. But that was Driver, it would take a dumptruck full of bricks to leave a dent in the man.
    As he spoke, driver moved forward, giving Wilder and David space to shuffle into the room behind him. There were six men in there, all armed and looking like thugs and criminals.
    “Now I go by the eye for an eye school of thought.” Everyone was listening as Driver spoke, their jaws hanging slightly open in surprise that he was still standing. He reached out a hand and pointed at one of the thugs in the room. “I don’t know who actually hit me. But I do know that you shot first. I am going to punch you five times.”
    The thug shuffled backward, terrified by the apparantly invulnerable man threatening to punch him. His allies decided to try their luck with shooting again. Weapons were leveled at Driver, Wilder and David.
    There was a thrum of power in the air. David could feel the tension radiating off Wilder as he brought his particular ability to play. Then every thug in the room pulled the trigger.
    And nothing happened.
    Every gun in the hands of the thugs failed to fire, and every thug in the room looked surprised and horrified. Driver launched himself at the man he had pointed out.
    The thug tried to run, but driver was faster. The first punch caught the man in the shoulder, there was a pop as it dislocated.
    Two thugs decided to take their chances with Wilder. He looked like much less of a threat than Driver, David had to give them that.
    Of course they had made a tactical error in assuming his small frame made him an easy target. As the first thug came at him, Wilder’s cane shot up in a sharp blow, catching the man straight in the nose. He tumbled backwards, broken nose spurting blood.
    Driver punched his target again, shattering at least two ribs.
    Two men came straight at David, trying to overwhelm him and get to the door. He took a step back, and they surged forward thinking they had found the weak link in the chain.
    Then Artemis came through the wall like an avenging spectre. She passed through without any resistance, then turned fully solid as her high heeled left foot lashed out in a vicious kick, shattering the front man’s knee. He crumbled to the floor in agony.
    Driver punched his man twice in the gut.
    The scond thug tried to overwhelm Wilder, but the small man jumped backwards, balancing on his good leg and stabbed his cane at the man’s eye like a sword, sending the man to the floor screaming in pain.
    Artemis whirled, sending a roundhouse kick into the jaw of her second opponent, instantly knocking him unconscious.
    Driver punched his victim straight in the throat crushing his larynx.
    The last thug yanked something out from under a sofa and came to his feet holding a double barreled shotgun. He whirled around pointing the gun in their general direction, ready to fill the room with buckshot.
    Wilder snapped his head in the shotgunner’s direction, frowning hard as the trigger was pulled.
    And the gun exploded in the thug’s hands.
    David took a deep breath and looked around. The six thugs were sprawled on the floor in varying states of disrepair. There was no sign of the man they had come here for.
    He took in the scene calmly. He needed information, so he wanted someone to talk. Shotgun was bleeding all over the floor. Driver’s target litterally couldn’t talk anymore. Broken nose and punctured eye, might be able to, but David would find it disgusting. Artemis had knocked one man unconscious and broken the other’s knee.
    Broken knee it was.
    With a slim smile he handed Artemis his book. She took it and held it for him without complaint. Everyone was silent as he walked to the downed thug.
    He squatted down in front of the man, smiling his awkward history teacher smile. This always caught them off guard.
    “Who the **** are you?” The thug snarled, spittle flying.
    “Me?” David took off his glasses and started polishing them with his sweater. “David Taylor. Call me Dave.”
    “Are you police?” The thug accused, clenching his jaw in pain.
    David shook his head.
    “Enigma?” The man seemed less sure now.
    “No no no.” David chuckled. “Nothing so common. Though it is interesting that you are familiar with them.”
    “What do you want?”
    “What do I want?” David smiled and put his glasses on. “Good question! Let me tell you a legend.”
    “What?”
    “The legend of the Unicorn.”
    The thug looked nonplussed.
    “Oh you must have heard of unicorns before.” David made a tutting sound. “Horses with a horn in their forehead. Magical beings of purity and goodness. Famously attracted to virgins. Also very hard to find and even harder to catch. So much so that they became a metaphor for chasing an impossible dream.”
    “...What?” The thug stammered.
    “I am chasing a unicorn.” David smiled and adjusted his glasses. “And I want to know where your boss is. Where is Alexander Falcon?”
    “I don’t know.” The thug gasped.
    “Think that through very carefully.” David said softly. “I really want to meet him.”
    “Wait?” The thug managed a complex thought in spite of the pain. “Falcon is your Unicorn?”
    “No no no.” David shook his head. “I’m looking for a metaphorical unicorn this time. I already found the literal one.”
    He let his power flare, and the air on his left distorted. Something large and red started taking form.
    “Better leave this to the boss.” Wilder mumbled.
    “Yeah, let’s scram.” Driver agreed.
    For once, Artemis had no complaints.
    There was a crackling sound as the red shape came fully into the world. A large red stallion with one razortipped horn in it’s forehead suddenly stood in the small appartment.
    It let out an impatient whinny.
    “What the…?”
    “I do applaud your curiosity,” David chuckled. “But I will ask the questions.”
    His allies swiftly made their exit, and David down to business.

Around fifteen minutes later, he exited the building.
    In the distance he could hear sirens blaring. Smoke was billowing out of the windows on the sixth floor. Wilder stood there waiting for David.
    “Did you get any leads?”
    “Three more safhouses, several names, nothing solid.”
    “So we keep looking?”
    “Indeed.”
    They walked to the car where Driver and Artemis were waiting. There was a short pause as they both looked at the building, quickly going up in flames.
    “We should leave before the police arrives.” Wilder murmured.
    “Agreed.”
    They got in the car, and Driver floored the gas.

Last edited by Xiander; 2017-06-13 at 01:14 AM.

8. - Top - End - #1148

Status for June 5 - June 11

Glass Mouse passes with a ton of roleplaying log pages, a painting and a painted apple.

Lycunadari passes with four Draw Everything June drawings and five nature pictures.

jseah passes with 514 words for Hero's War and 1116 words for Ar Tonelico fanfic.

Xiander passes with 2351 words for Legend of the red unicorn.

Lovely Vulcan didn’t upload anything again– are you still in?

Thus LovelyVulcan FAILS this round!

Current standing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Glass Mouse
    Current run: 2

Lycunadari
    Current run: 231 weeks

jseah
    Current Run: 70 weeks

Xiander
    Current run: 49 weeks

Lovely Vulcan
    Current run: -

LeSwordfish

Icewalker
    You can call me Juniper.

Lycunadari

9. - Top - End - #1149
    Bugbear in the Playground

Woah Glass Mouse's streak actually ended at some point?

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...r-good-reboot)

10. - Top - End - #1150

Oh no, I'm falling behind on drawing the DEJ poses.

Spoiler: Action!
    Show

Show

Show

Show

Show

Show

Show

Show
    You can call me Juniper.

Lycunadari

11. - Top - End - #1151

Not the best week for writing, but i did manage to hit 1520 word for part one of a new short.

Spoiler: How to remember, part one
    Show
    “Good day,” The interviewer paused, glancing down at the papers in front of him. He frowned at the text in front of him, then shook his head and looked back up. “Marvin. Thank you for coming.”
    “This is a performance review.” Marv grumbled. “It’s not exactly optional.”
    “Even so.” The interviewer smiled at him, and almost managed to hide the nervous tint to the expression. “It is nice to see you, please have a seat.”
    Marv took in the room. Just large enough for a table and four chairs, the room was specificly designed for meetings like this. Two to four people sitting in an uncomfortably small room, discussing personal bull****, mostly personal bull**** that could seriously affect the inteviewee’s life, while the interviewer was safe from any repercussions.
    The table was plain, big enough for four people, and surrounded by four chairs. The interviewer sat across the table, so marv pulled out the chair straight in front of him and plopped down into it.
    “Right,” he sighed. “Lets get this over with.”
    The interviewer cleared his throat and checked his papers again. Marv took the opportunity to take stock of him.
    The man was the typical type, which Marv had met so many times before. Somewhere in his forties, probably four to six years older than Marv. Dressed in a well kept brown suit, complete with matching briefcase. His hairline was receeding and he made up for it with a set of expensive designer glasses. He was looking a little confused and perhaps startled. Like he was put off by Marv’s attitude.
    That was how they all reacted.
    It was a psychological thing, Marv speculated, but he wasn’t a shrink, so he didn’t know any fancy words for it. Didn’t matter anyhow, all these interviews ended in the same way.
    “Good.” Said the suit, trying to take control of the conversation again. “I am Bob Dervin, but we are all friends here. Just call me Bob.”
    He reached his right hand across the table for Marv to shake and smiled. It was a good smile, he seemed pretty friendly. Marv decided that this man was actually fairly good at his job.
    On the other hand he had already decided that he didn’t really give a toss. He looked down at the outstretched hand and pursed his lips. He decided not to shake, that always messed with them.
    “Marv.” He commented dryly. “The only one who calls me Marvin is my mum. And you are not my mum.”
    “Okay… Marv.” Bob tried again to reclaim his cool. “Do you know why you have been called in for a meeting?”
    “Because someone thinks I am not doing my job and for some reason they think you can tell me how to actually do it?”
    Bob stared at him wordlessly for a long moment.
    “Ah… Not exactly.”
    “What did I get wrong?” Marv crossed his arms and glared.
    “Well.” Bob glanced down at his papers again. “I won’t presume to know your job better than you do.”
    “Then why am I talking to you again?” Marv asked testily.
    “Look, I know you are good at your job, but some of the people higher up in the company feel that your methods…”
    “Pussies.” Marv cut in.
    “Excuse me?” Bob’s cheeks took on a redder hue, the man seemed flustered and on the verge of anger. “You are supposed to recruit people.”
    “I do recruit people.” Marv shoved his chair back and stretched his legs, crossing them comfortably.
    “Let’s examine that claim shall we?” Bob retorted, finally finding some ground to stand on.
    Marv smiled a wry smile, this guy was better than the last four people who had interviewed him. Usually they would lose their **** completely or never get a word in. Bob had managed to keep his focus and press towards the point without resorting to yelling… yet.
    “Blow me away Bob.” Marv let sarcasm soak into the words.
    “Good.” Bob ignored the sarcasm and bulled on.
    He opened a labtop on the table between them, turned it so they both could see the screen and tapped space to play a sound file.
    “Allow me to sum your situation up into a three word phrase.” Marv heard his own rough voice coming from the laptop’s ****ty speakers. “You are ****ed.”
    Bob paused the audio and looked expectantly at Marv.
    “It’s true.” Marv stated.
    “True or false isn’t the point.” Bob shook his head tiredly as he said it. “It’s really about how you are making the potential recruits feel.”
    “How they feel?” Marv posed the question slowly. “What is this some kind of kindergarden? Do you want me to make sure I don’t tell them Santa is a pile of bull****? Or that the tooth Fairy is their parents?”
    “Calm down.” Bob held up his hands in a placating gesture. “You are being irrational.”
    “Irrational?” The word dripped with venom. Marv did not give Bob a chance to interrupt. “You want me to lie to people about their chances, you want me to paint a picture of a nice fluffy world where everything will be okay, when we both know that things are ****ing far from okay. And I am irrational?”
    Without a word, Bob touched his finger to the touchpad on the labtop and started the audio at a later point in the recording. Once more Marv’s own voice came scratching out of the speakers.
    “Blink once if you promise to remain calm and collected and to do me no harm if I remove your restraints. Blink twice if you just want to leave. Blink three times if you want to kill me.”
    “Is that what you call a reasonable way of introducing people to this organisation?” Bob’s voice was tight with restrained emotion.
    “It’s a fair question.” Marv kept his voice cold. “I don’t really want to have to fight them.”
    “But you can’t suggest to them the option of killing you!” Bob was losing his calm, and Marv’s ennui was pushing him to the edge even faster.
    Marv took a deep breath, glanced over his shoulder, then decided to bring this fiasco to a close.
    “I can suggest what ever the ****ing hell I want.” He didn’t yell or even growl the words. He kept his voice level and clear. “I can talk to them in whatever way I decide will work. And I honestly could not care less how you feel about my little monologues.”
    “You…” Bob had to pause and take a breath. “You don’t care?”
    “No.” Marv shook his head. “Not one bit. Because no matter what you put down on your report card, I’ll keep having one sided talks with new recruits, I’ll keep saying what the hell I want to them, and it will keep working.”
    “Working?” Bob exploded. “That’s a bold claim.”
    Marv let the accusation hang in the air for a little while. He took in Bob’s face and body language. Then he smiled a slim smile with no mirth.
    “I gave that particular speech to Jim Allen Cobb, two weeks ago. He did not attempt to murder me and is currently being readied to enroll in the newest initiative. I have given several similar speeches to similar newcomers, and they have a seventy percent success rate, and the ones who don’t bite wouldn’t have bitten anyways.”
    “Look!” Bob began, mustering all his anger for a retort.
    “No you look.” Marv snapped with enough authority to shut up the suit instantly. “You don’t realise what is actually happening here. You think you can boss me around, that your position intimidates me. But you have no idea.”
    “What are you implying?” Bob’s cheeks had turned a darker shade of red at this point.
    “didn’t you pay attention?” Marv made a dissatisfied face. “I don’t imply things, I just say them.”
    “Then what are you saying.”
    “I am saying that if you can tell me my name without looking at your papers, you will probably get a promotion.”
    “What?” Bob looked taken aback by the ridiculous claim.
    “What do you have to lose Bob?” Marv pushed. “Look me straight in the eyes and say my name.”
    “Mmmmhhh..” Bob’s face fell into a puzzled expression. “Martin?”
    That was damn close, even though Bob’s voice rose at the end making it a question. He had gotten the name almost right. Only one in ten got more than one letter right, and Bob had only gotten one of them wrong.
    “Good job.” Marv rose and turned his back to Bob. “I’ll pass on the word.”
    “What?” Bob looked utterly confused.
    “You did well in your interview.”
    “But this is your…”
    “Yeah, sorry for misleading you,” Marvin send him an apologetic smile over one shoulder as he pushed open the door. “But we find it tests the abilities we are looking for a little better if you are unaware that you are being tested.”
    He stepped out of the small room, let go of the door and took one step forward. As the door swung shut, a hand grabbed it from the inside and pushed it open.

12. - Top - End - #1152
    Ogre in the Playground

1800 for Shattered Alliance

It reads like an introduction to common terms and setting elements but it's also effectively an in-setting history excerpt.

Spoiler
    Show
    A Beginner's Guide to Planar Travel

Definitions
    True Magic
    True Magic is fundamentally about the foundation of reality. Any working of True Magic permanently alters the rules of reality on which a plane runs. True Magic can create and destroy planes, alter them to run on different rules, change how magic is invoked and its effects, even lock away access to True Magic itself by removing the means of which it is used.

At the current time, what remains of access to such reality altering power is very limited. Individual fragments of rules that are still accessible exist in various planes, these perform certain changes or form part of the effects have since been recovered, including the ability to translate across planes itself. Analysis of existing planar realities have shown at least two distinct multi-planar events in the past that make up the current locks on True Magic.

Our civilization retains access to the most important pieces. Translation between realities and the tools to analyze, alter and copy False Magics, even as limited as we are. This knowledge and access to True Magic is the foundation on which the Alliance is built, without which, the Planar Gates between the core six would not be possible and hence none of our civilization.

Discovering and piecing together any remaining access to the original True Magic control scheme is one of the primary objectives of the Explorer Corps.

Plane
    A plane refers to the group of reality to which a particular set of rules applies. Created during the First Age, each plane houses a particular set of reality rules, governing basic laws of existence, eg. existence of atoms, light, etc.

Local Reality
    A 'default' or 'mundane' reality has become established as a set of common rules that apply to many planes discovered. These include the presence of atoms; solids, liquids and gases; light and heat; and other basic facts required for people to live. These planes operate on very simple fundamental rules, the existence of people depends on so many emergent effects of this reality that altering any of the fundamental rules is often enough to cause the plane to no longer support life.

Despite this even among 'mundane' realities, planes can vary in conditions greatly depending on whether active False Magics are present.

That is not to say that other fundamental realities have not been discovered, eg. Plane AT123NS appears to compose matter via waveforms; the basic reality of any plane with variants of the famous Contagion and Similarity False Magics has all matter defined in conceptual form. Even more, recognizably human-like beings have also been discovered on many of these planes. This is commonly accepted evidence that humans have existed even from the First Age.

Theoretically, planes in which even more fundamental concepts of time and space do not apply could exist. While confirmatory signs have been found, the ability to visit such planes has not been successfully created, for obvious reasons.

Dimension
    Many planes contain more than one dimension which do not interact without some bridging effect, often a False Magic of some kind. These dimensions usually run on the same Local Reality, with the primary differences, if any, usually supported by False Magic. An example of blurring the line between True and False Magic, some False Magic systems have been noted with the ability to create dimensions, add and remove access to those dimensions and other such effects.

False Magic
    A strict definition of True Magic holds that any True Magic affects the entire plane at once, a local effect restricted to a portion in some way is a False Magic, but the line between the two is a matter of definition only.

During the First Age, it is suspected that the technique of limiting effects of a local area was not yet created. Planar-wide or multi-planar effects were used in great complexity to create the current constellation of planes. It was only during the start of the Second Age, after the first Cataclysm, that much smaller local effects that did not fit with the local reality of the planes started to appear.

These subsequent changes to the reality rules are known as False Magics and possess an even greater variety than the differences in planar conditions. False Magics are usually used to manipulate the current conditions of the plane, not alter reality. This common theme is commonly accepted by historians to indicate that at the end of the First Age, the ability of True Magic to freely alter reality in large scale was locked. Combined with the discovery of how to define an effect's location and size in relative terms allowed the development of smaller local effects, instead of vast, often hazardous, changes to fundamental reality rules. A common pattern of most such False Magics is a set of exceptions to the Local Reality by which changes or effects can be applied, without changing the fundamental rules in any permanent way.

Confusingly, plane wide changes still continued to happen, most notably the ability of Second Age people to create False Magics at all. In fact, the sheer variety of False Magic effects, and the impracticality of some of them, led some to conclude that such systems might have been made for entertainment or curiousity value. They also still continued to create new planes and define new realities but the incidence of such was greatly reduced, for reasons unknown.

False Magic System
    A common theme among most False Magic is the creation of a 'system' in which inhabitants of a plane cause the False Magic to generate an effect on the Local Reality. A False Magic System is defined as the False Magic effects having a control scheme by which its effects can be harnessed or used in some fashion. There is as much a variety in these control methods as there are in the effects on Local Reality, False Magic Systems are still an ongoing topic of exploration.

The study of the various themes and evolution of their complexity over the course of the Second Age is beyond the scope of this primer.

Translate
    The action of moving between planes. Called such because to exist in a different reality requires translation of the user's current state into one compatible with the plane.

Cataclysm
    Two large multi-planar events have been recorded in almost every plane's history. Each of these appears to have been a war or conflict of some kind, ultimately resulting in or ending with restrictions placed on True Magic. Accordingly, these epochs are called the First Age ending in the First Cataclysm, the Second Age ending in the Second Cataclysm. Thus we are now in the Third Age.

According to some, our current multi-planar conflict with the Antagonists might be a sign that a Third Cataclysm is on its way. This lay view is obviously at odds with history as signs point to the Cataclysms being centuries long events compared with the millennia long peace of the Ages. We have been at war for the last two decades only, victory is yet in sight.

Antagonist
    A multi-planar menace to all civilization, we have been at war with them for nearly twenty years. The Antagonists take as many forms as there are planes, some are a dark threat supported by only False Magic, some are a formless evil, some are an infection on the plane's inhabitants, some are physical lifeforms. The common thread to the Antagonists is their threat to life and civilization in general.

The Alliance was brought together under pressure by the first Antagonist War. The eventual victory at too high a price directly led to the formation of the Alliance Corps and doctrine as it is today. Unified in this purpose, the Alliance aims to end their threat once and for all. Today, the Alliance takes the fight to the great enemy.

Planar Designations by Role
    Core Worlds
    The Alliance is the union of six planes through Planar Gates that have merged the Local Realities into a single unified whole. The Alliance as a whole is home to about twenty billion people. Currently, work is being done to integrate Administrated Partner MTS into the seventh plane of the Core Worlds.

Administrated Partners
    The Alliance has friendly relations and a continuing presence on some sixty planes. While these planes do not have a significant Antagonist presence, Administrated Partners have agreed to join the Alliance in the fight against the Antagonists and will gain the protection of the Alliance in return if they come under attack, a mutual defence pact against the Antagonists. Trade and research agreements are common with Administrated Partners and are the source of most of the current work on alterations to False Magics and the integration of their False Magics to create better tools for the Corps in the war.

The Engineer Corps or Diplomatic and Trade Office is the appropriate liaison if you are interested in working in those areas.

Non-Administrated Periphery
    If contact has not been made or friendly relations and a permanent presence cannot be established, the plane is considered part of the Non-Administrated Periphery. More than a thousand such planes have been recorded, some with only the most rudimentary details. It is not clear how many remain to be discovered.

Translation to the Non-Administrated Periphery requires Contact Protocols training and familiarization with any details or specific engagement policies. The Explorer Corps conducts most of their activities searching the Periphery for new planes to contact, False Magic Systems to be learnt and even the rare and valuable True Magic effects.

Uninhabited / Uninhabitable
    Uninhabited planes do not contain human life. Whether this is because the Local Reality is inimical, False Magic is hostile or a historical event has erased all people, these planes are absent of people. If Alliance presence on the plane is kept small, uninhabited planes do not often draw Antagonist attention.

Despite the lack, uninhabited planes can still be of interest if the Local Reality or False Magic is of interest. Even if there is nothing of value, an uninhabited plane may still serve as test sites for risky True Magic experiments.

Antagonist Threatened Plane
    Center of the war front. Antagonist Threatened Planes are currently under attack and have a heavy Antagonist presence. The Knights are deployed in support of the local population and in extreme situations, evacuation may be ordered. The Alliance war strategies aim to remove Antagonist presence and reclaim these planes.

The Alliance Corps
    Explorer
    One of the three branches of the Corps. Explorers venture out into the Periphery to find new planes, discover magic of interest and make new allies for the war.

Knight
    One of the three branches of the Corps. The Knights are the military arm of the Alliance and are the primary force holding back the Antagonists.

Engineer
    One of the three branches of the Corps. The Engineers are the support, scientific and construction arm of the Alliance Corps, a vital element of the war effort. The Engineers are responsible for the majority of the integration work of various False Magic Systems and the usage of True Magic.

13. - Top - End - #1153
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hi. It's me - Some Android. I'm back...kind-of-ish. I have a question and possible recommendation concerning the rules. It says 30 seconds of film is one submission, but how does that work with animation? Drawing several frames just to equal one second can't compare to that amount of time of letting the camera roll (even if you factor in retakes). Could I get a ruling on animations as I want to try doing some gifs and other animated projects?

14. - Top - End - #1154
    Ogre in the Playground

1527 words of siren short story: link.

Seven assorted drawings for a game: link.

Quote Originally Posted by Neoriceisgood View Post
    Woah Glass Mouse's streak actually ended at some point?
    A sad day, indeed. Well, two sad days as this is the second time I've lost a streak. Even I am just one little busy human

Quote Originally Posted by Some Android View Post
    Hi. It's me - Some Android. I'm back...kind-of-ish. I have a question and possible recommendation concerning the rules. It says 30 seconds of film is one submission, but how does that work with animation? Drawing several frames just to equal one second can't compare to that amount of time of letting the camera roll (even if you factor in retakes). Could I get a ruling on animations as I want to try doing some gifs and other animated projects?
    Good point. Uh. Depends on the animation, I guess? Do you have a suggestion, as someone who is actually working with it?
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

15. - Top - End - #1155

Status for June 12 - June 18

Glass Mouse passes with 1527 words of siren short story and seven drawings.

Lycunadari passes with one Draw Everything June drawing and seven nature pictures.

jseah passes with 1800 words of Shattered Alliance.

Xiander passes with 1520 of How to remember.

Lovely Vulcan didn’t upload anything again– I'm dropping you from the list until you come back.

Thus nobody FAILS this round!

Congrats Xiander for passing 50 weeks!

Current standing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Glass Mouse
    Current run: 3

Lycunadari
    Current run: 232 weeks

jseah
    Current Run: 71 weeks

Xiander
    Current run: 50 weeks

LeSwordfish

Icewalker

Lovely Vulcan

Quote Originally Posted by Some Android View Post
    Welcome back!
    How much work is drawing the frames compared to drawing other stuff? Maybe it would work to count animations similar to drawings instead of counting it like film?
    You can call me Juniper.

Lycunadari

16. - Top - End - #1156
    Troll in the Playground

Hey folks! Thanks Lycun for picking up the torch, and Glass Mouse, I'm glad you were able to recognize the need to pass it! I'm thinking of entering back in, but I'm not sure when I'll start. Hello all!
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

17. - Top - End - #1157

Congrats Xiander for passing 50 weeks!
    Thank you!
    It is a little crazy that I am almost at the year mark

To keep up the good work: I have finished "How to remember". It ammoounts to 2154 words, and here it is:

Spoiler: How to remember, part two
    Show
    Pausing for a moment, Marv glanced back through the door. At the table, bob was looking puzzled, he kept staring at his papers, as if he was trying to make sense of them.
    In the door a petite blonde girl looked up at Marv.
    “Don’t you think you were a bit rough on him Marv?” The question was serious, but her smile was cheerful.
    “Not more than was called for.” Marv stepped away from the door, making room for the girl to exit the room.
    “Did you forget I was also overlooking the interview?” She asked, tilting her head to one side.
    “You know I don’t forget you Emily.” Marv shrugged and started walking away from the interview room. “Let’s get some coffee.”
    “You’re bound to forget something one of these days.” Emily taunted. “Coffee sounds good.”
    They walked towards the elevator that would take them down to the cantina. At desks around the big office space, people glanced at them, took them in, then looked away and immediately forgot they where there.
    There was a lot of noise out here, phones ringing, fingers tapping on keyboards and people talking. Shutting out the surrounding din, Marv pondered the interview. What would he write in his report?
    “Why do you always antagonize them?” Emily asked, breaking his train of thought.
    “What?” He grunted absently.
    “You always come off as a bastard when you’re doing these interviews.”
    “I am a bastard, I thought you were used to that by now.” He had worked with Emily for almost three years, it was a fair assumption.
    “Point one, that’s a partial truth.” Emily started. “Point two, it is irrelevant to my question.”
    “Irrellevant,” He glanced sideways at her. “How so?”
    “Whether you are a bastard or not, acting nice might make for a better interview.”
    “I shouldn’t have gotten you that book on discussion and rhetoric.”
    “Dodging the question again?” She laughed a short thrill, then she winked at him.
    “I’m always hard at potential recruits.”
    “I know.” They reached the elevators and she reached out and pushed the button. “I just wondered if it was necesary.”
    “You know how this works.” He glanced around the office. Around twenty pencil pushers were hacking away at the mound of paperwork which always accumulated around the company’s interests. He gestured at the office as a whole. “You know that what we do is hard and dangerous and ****ing insane.”
    “Calm down Marv.” She smiled at him.
    “No.” He pushed the words out between his teeth. “I will not calm down. I pushed Bob hard, I cornered him and pushed him harder, to see if he has even just a little bit of the mettle needed to deal with this ****.”
    There was a ding and the elevator doors opened right behind him. A man in a great suit and a woman who was busy checking something on her phone bustled by, not even noticing them.
    Emily walked into the lift, waited for Marv to follow then pushed the button to send them to the cantina. They stood in the lift in silence.
    “He did pretty good.” She said, her eyes fixed on the elevator door.
    Marv just grunted.
    “Come on.” She pushed. “I was right there in the room. I saw the whole thing. He argued a good case with you and he almost remembered your name.”
    He let his eyes shift to her. All smiles and cheer she was looking at him, brimming with optimism. He turned the conversation over in his head, thought about where it was going, where it could go and where it should go.
    “He has a good strong mind.” He admitted.
    “So you’ll recomend him?” She beamed at him.
    “I didn’t say that.” He crossed his arms and looked at the elevator door.
    “Seriously, what does it take to impress you Marv?” Her voice wasn’t annoyed, but there was a tint of exasperation in it.
    “I was impressed.” He stated calmly. “I was impressed with his mental fortitude and his grip on the world around him. However, that is not all I have to measure before I make my judgement.”
    She made a face, and crossed her arms.
    “So what else were you looking for?” She stuck out her tongue at him. “Someone as funny and pleasant as you?”
    He ignored the comment. She always tried to bait him, it never worked. She would keep doing it anyways, that was just how she was.
    “He has skills that could be useful in our line of work, but I have to evaluate his mental fortitude, his backbone and whether he has a stomach for the rougher business. I can’t just let him through because he called me Martin.”
    “I still think you are being too stingy with your praise.” She was about to elaborate, when the elevator stopped and the doors slid open.
    Outside the elevator, the cantina was bustling with people taking their lunch. Most of them where pencil pushers like the ones they passed on the office floor, but there were exceptions.
    In one corner, a short young man with wild blond hair was chatting with a darkhaired woman in a crisp suit. In the middle of the room a tall darkskinned man in sunglasses was taking a phonecall and drinking three cups of coffee. A pale redhaired woman was leaning against one of the pillars which supported the roof, she was staring at one of the cantina workers, who seemed to be blissfully unaware.
    Agents, thought Marv. They would have been easy to pick out even if he hadn’t known them all by name. He could have listed their hiring dates and their ten latest cases, but then he could probably name anyone in the building by name.
    He looked sideways at Emily, wondering how many of these people she knew by name. He shook his head and dismissed the thought, no need to go depressing himself.
    Emily was not stopping to think any depressing thoughts, she was making a beeline for the food. He had to step up his pace to keep up with her.
    She happily grabbed a plate and started piling a bit of everything on it. There was a lot of different things to choose from, so she took a while assembling her menu. Say what you want about Enigma, they did not let their employees starve.
    Emily finally finished filling her plate, then looked at Marv with a disapproving expression. He frowned slightly. She frowned harder.
    He grabbed an apple from the food table, and she immediately cheered up, giving him one of her beaming smiles.
    They found an empty table and settled down. Emily picked over her eclectic meal, eating one bite of each thing, then moving on.
    Marv bit into his apple and watched her eat. The apple was crisp and fresh, just like he liked it. His partner seemed to enjoy her food as well, and he hoped this would distract her long enough for her to forget what they had just been talking about.
    “But seriously.” She said between two mouthfuls, shattering his hope of escaping the discussion. “What did you have against Bob?”
    “Nothing.” Marv took another bite of the apple.

“You gave him such a hard time?” She put down her fork demonstratively. “And now you claim you don’t have anything against him?”
    “No.” Marv placed the apple down on the table and fixed her with a measuring gaze. “I am going to claim that I liked him. He seemed like a nice fellow.”
    “What?” She made an exasperated gesture with her hands. “That makes no sense.”
    “It makes good sense, considering.”
    “Considering what?”
    “How we met.”
    “You’ve met him before?”
    “Not me and him.” Marv couldn’t keep a slight smile off his face at the memory. “Me and you.”
    That stopped her for a moment.
    “You do remember how we met, right?” He asked, knowing full well that she didn’t.
    “Uuhmm..” She was thinking furiously.
    “Don’t worry about it, I like telling the story.” He made his smile as comforting as he could. “The short version is that you were lost and I found you. The long version includes a crazy hillbilly and a bat monster.”
    “A bat monster?” She looked at him with disbelief on her face.
    “Yes.” He assured her. “That was the first crazy adventure we had. There a dozen more, which you no longer remember, I’ll show you the files one of these days.”
    “What does that have to do with Bob though?”
    How did she keep coming back to this guy? He must have made a real impression on her. Taking his time to ponder the question, Marv eyed her plate. It was still more than half full, and she seemed to have forgotten about it, in favor of remembering Bob.
    “Bat monsters are cute and fuzzy compared to some of the things I have seen out there..” He said, still looking at the food. “So while I agree that Bob seems like a fine person, who is good at his job, and an all around good neighbour, I have to consider how he would handle a batmonster.”
    “Wait.” She gave him a sceptical look. “How common are bat monsters?”
    “Not as rare as you’d think.” He couldn’t help looking at her and winking conspiratorially.
    She chuckled and pressed on.
    “So what you are saying…” He could almost hear the cogs turning in her mind. “Is that you’re worried he’d get hurt?”
    He blinked. He did not have a ready answer for that. Time for a diversion. He reached out and grabbed her plate, pulling it to his side of the table. She looked down, slightly surprised and her eyes widened when she saw the food.
    Typical, she’d already forgotten the food, but she refused to let go of Bob. That however, was an important factor for Marv to considder.
    He yanked the food all the way over the table and placed the rest of the apple in front of her. She looked from the food to the apple, then back at him, confused.
    He chuckled and shook his head slightly.
    “Hey.” He said. “Did you see the trailer for that new spy movie?”
    It took her a moment to shift gears, then she shook her head. She’d watched the trailer at least ten times. She’d gotten just as excited every time. He did not tell her that though.
    “You’d love it,” He cracked a smile. “Movie premiers tonight want to go see it? We’ll take a night off.”
    Her face lit up with excitement.
    “Cool!” Her voice was almost an excited yell. “Seriously Marv, I don’t get why people don’t like you!”
    He let out a short barking laugh.
    “People have no taste.”
    He speared a bit of pasta on the fork and shoved it in his mouth. Catching the motion, she remembered that they were eating, looked down to see the apple and happily started eating it.
    For a while they just ate. Emily seemed cheerful and excited, like always. Marv pondered the girl’s nature.
    She was mercurial and unpredictable, but always came at things expecting the best. Her optimism was a much needed counterpoint to his own pragmatism. The fact that she couldn’t remember what happened ten minutes back most of the time, was both a weakness and a strength for her.
    She never worried about anything, because anything that could worry her was swiftly forgotten. That did leave her vulnerable to some things, which was why she had Marv.
    If there was one thing Marv knew, it was how to remember. And for some reason, that translated into Emily always remembering Marv.
    He pondered it all as he watched her eat the apple with a childish joy. While they were here, eating lunch, Bob would be upstairs, slightly confused. At this point he would likely have forgotten all about the interview.
    That was Emily’s effect on the world. People forgot her, and things ascosiated with her. Everyone but Marv.
    There was a few others who knew about her, but only because they had been told the stories, while she wasn’t present.
    Only one other person had ever seen her and been able to remember, and that guy was a top level agent in the firm, and would still get her name wrong half the time.
    Marv could ground out her ability while he was around, but as soon as he left people would mostly forget. Even when he was there, people would have a hard time keeping track of details.
    Bob had done a good job, keeping up with the conversation, while she was standing in the room. And he had almost remembered Marv’s name.
    “Maybe I should reccomend him.” Marv mumbled.
    “What?” Emily looked at him with earnest curiousity.
    “Nothing, just thinking about work.”
    “Psh!” You’re always so serious.
    They both laughed at that. Then they ate on in silence.

18. - Top - End - #1158

Phew, yesterday it was finally cool enough that I could go out to take some pictures without melting.

Spoiler: Genderqueer pride!
    Show

Spoiler: Dance
    Show

Spoiler: Just rolling around
    Show

Show

Show

Show

Show

Show

Show

Show

Show
    You can call me Juniper.

Lycunadari

19. - Top - End - #1159
    Ogre in the Playground

An outline of a ruleset (minus numbers) for a game / story quest; Magic Academy Quest! 1600 words

I'm particularly proud of completely avoiding the common elemental magic systems and instead grouping magic by function.
    Spoiler
    Show
    aka. Mysterious Old Wizard Headmaster

The player runs a magic academy under the auspices of the kingdom.

Funding based on Political Power (PP)
    PP base income relies on magic users trained number x quality + magic items created x quality
    PP decreases based on events and actions, decreases may be accompanied by requirements to keep headmaster-ship (aka. avoid losing)

Staff Actions
    Train Apprentice (very fast training for low number of students)
    Conduct Research (bonus by specialization; bonus by artifact / material analysis)
    Lecture (slow training for large number of students)
    Use Magic (used for lengthy crafting procedures and Great Works)
    Political Maneuvering (one time boost to PP next turn)
    Award Tenure (does not consume action; cannot fire staff, permanently improves staff morale)
    Conduct Expedition (magical materials discovery, small research)

Organization Actions
    Construct Infrastructure
    Open Day (+PP, -research, -training)
    Organize Competition (-research, -discipline, -defence, ++training)
    Festival (+discipline, +++morale, -research, -training)

Resources
    Magic power
    - Environmental / Diffuse power
    - Personal / Distilled power
    Money (mundane materials, building and staff upkeep)
    Special Materials
    Research

Infrastructure
    Meeting Hall (size in 100 seats)
    Offices / Staff quarters (staff housing)
    Classroom / Lecture theatre (required for lecture training action)
    Library (stores knowledge; insufficient storage results in research being lost if staff leave / die)
    Defences (walls, +defence against monster threat)
    Museum (additional PP for events; +culture)

Awaken Leyline (creates a Leyline slot)
    > Awaken Magic Node (creates diffuse power in area; requires 1 Leyline slot)
    >> Mana Tap (converts diffuse power into distilled power)
    >> Move Leyline (creates another Leyline slot; increasing cost per use)
    > Broadcast Tower (converts distilled power into diffuse; required to use large area / strategic spells)
    >> Relay Tower (allows effects to spread out of grounds)
    > Magic Anchor (stores distilled magic inside a mana node for later use, can draw with a multiple of Mana Tap rate based on Energy research)
    >> Mana Column (stores much less magic than an Anchor but can discharge at any rate, add stored magic to power any function)

Wards / Defenses
    - Counter-spell (target effect type cannot be used inside the area; inside to out, outside to in, inside to in, based on options)
    - Magic power suppression (reduce Environmental / Personal power inside area; fixed quantity or multiplicative options)
    - Barrier (target effect type or all magic cannot enter or leave area; include effects not requiring line of effect by option)
    - Blasting (attacks target with stored spell by option; requires sensing)
    - Animation (living statues/armour to defend grounds)
    > Conditional Triggers
    - Detection / Alarm
    - Command based
    > generalized magic use (command based trigger of any magic effect in library)

Magic Greenhouse (+harvest magical materials; required for upgrades)
    > Great Forest (requires Forest terrain, +harvest magical materials)
    > Beast Ranch (+harvest magical materials)
    > Flying Cavalry Training (Griffin / Chimera / Pegasus / Hippogriff) (requires Ravine terrain, ++civilization defence)
    > Dragon Preserve (requires mountains, high upkeep, +harvest magical materials, ++PP, +++civilization defence)
    > Minor Race Alliance (requires related terrain and sufficient culture to absorb, ++harvest magical materials, ++civilization defence)

Mana Forge (create permanent magic items)
    > Alchemy Lab (create consumable potions / items)
    > Enchanting Workshop (mass production of minor magic items for sale, +PP)
    > Magma Smelter (requires Hellhole terrain, +civilization defence, create named items for one-time PP)

Bloodwork Rituals (create minor races / monsters / animals / plants)

Magic Items
    Magic items designed and built by the Academy for sale, all items improve PP for the next turn based on how much labour and magic is spent on them

Flight Devices (Energy, +civilization defence)
    Magic Transports (Energy, +income multiplier)
    Enchanted Arms and Armour (Transmutation, Energy; +civilization defence, +harvest rate)
    Magic Maps (Pericognition; +special materials discovery, +civilization expansion)

Great Workings (requires Broadcast Tower)
    Affects as much of the country as the domain will reach (domain area statistic as % of country)
    * Workings are massive undertakings fit for legend
    Requires lots of magic but relatively accessible with some research

Magic Detection Grid (Pericognition; detects magic use in domain; +civilization defences)
    Seven League Keys (Space-Time; create side-along plane with compressed space for teleport-like travel through keyed objects, usable by anyone with the keys; +negate travel time for expedition)
    Charged Magic Environments (Energy; contain charged magic inside cities to allow untrained citizens to command registered cantrips, also powers city defences in war time; +PP, +civilization defence)
    *Self Assembling Structures (Transmutation, Energy; a magic field enchants all mundane building materials allowing buildings of the Academy to be built and rearranged as necessary; +construction labour reduction)

Terraform (Transmutation)
    > Forest / Labyrinth / Ravine / Bottomless Lake / Mountains (+special material discovery)
    Reinforce Ground (Transmutation; softens rock for mining, hardens rock for supporting walls; +income multiplier)
    Crystal Walls (Transmutation; slowly imbues walls and defences to make them harder; +civilization defences)
    *Mountain Guards (Transmutation; raises mountains around perimeter of country; -civilization expansion, ++++civilization defences)

Raise Leylines (Energy; Awakens new leyline node in country; +1 leyline slot in new area with its own cost progression, +domain area if broadcast tower is built)
    Weather Control (Energy; +Income Multiplier, +special material income)
    Magic Blast (Energy; strategic magic nuke; can target out of domain but blast loses power with range)
    *Mass Levitation (Energy; permanently lifts land into the air to provide new surface area; +civilization expansion)

Aura of Mind (Psychic; increase intelligence of citizens; +research)
    Law and Order (Psychic; decrease criminal impulse and grant minor empathic reading to guards; +PP, +civlization defences)
    Illusion Broadcast (Psychic; Augmented Reality; project illusions to all citizens for education, media, information; +PP, +research)
    *Collective Will (Psychic; project citizens' wills across domain to control invaders / spies; +++civilization defences)

Hand of Fate (Pericognition; Fate predictions for political governance; +PP)
    Golden Age (Pericognition; tracking commercial transactions for national bank; +Income Multiplier)
    Clarity (Pericognition; real time tracking net across domain; +civilization defences, +Civilization Expansion)
    *Manifest Destiny (Pericognition; guide citizens towards favoured pursuits; +++Civilization expansion)

Healing Showers (Life; bless and heal citizens in domain; +PP)
    Living Lands (Life; encourage growth of natural plants and animals; +special material income; defence against darkness)
    Nature's Gift (Life; encourage evolution of natural plants and animals; +special material income / discovery rate, +monster threat)
    *Hall of Life and Death (Life; requires Mirror of Time; resurrects dead citizens; ++++PP)

Seven League Roads (Space-Time; makes road travel ridiculously fast; +Income Multiplier, +civilization expansion)
    Anchor Stones (Space-Time; teleport people between stones instantly; +PP, +civilization expansion)
    *Portal Gate (Space-Time; opens portal to other worlds; +Special material discovery)
    *Timeless Domain (Space-Time; extends and shrinks time to accelerate all activities; +PP, +income Multiplier, +harvest rate, +construction rate, +civilization defence/expansion)

Artifacts
    Hugely expensive magic items with unique and legendary effects, requires lots of research and manpower but less magic

Mirror of Time (Energy, Space-Time, Pericognition)
    Perfect History Viewing allows the Mirror to display a perfect reconstruction of any point in the past (including magical effects!) since the Mirror was created
    ++PP

Blarung (Space-Time)
    Unbreakable sword, twisted space blade able to cut through any material and any magic
    ++civilization defence

Truth Goblet (Psychic, Pericognition)
    Drinking from the goblet forces the drinker to tell the truth, no method of defence
    +civilization defence, ++PP

Alchemist's Stone (Transmutation, Energy)
    Ingredient in alchemy able to transmute any non-magical material into any other non-magical material; can be constructed more than once
    ++Income multiplier

Scrying Pool (Pericognition)
    A far viewing device used to see events in distant lands, able to discover new areas outside of domain
    +civilization defence, +special material discovery

Megaconstructions
    Fusion of artifact and great workings of magic; each of these constructions requires legions of manpower, country razing quantities of magic and ultimate understanding of magic
    Each of these will change the face of the world forever and almost certainly guarantee victory

Tower Beyond the Sky (Transmutation, Energy, Space-Time, Pericognition, Life) requires Alchemist's Stone, Mass Levitation, Self Assembling Structures
    A Tower the size of mountains that reaches into the sky and beyond into space; levitation and life field able to support entire continents around it
    +can convert magic into civilization expansion space; +opens space exploration

Undying Lands (Life, Psychic, Pericognition, Energy, Transmutation) requires Living Lands, Mirror of Time, Timeless Domain, Collective Will
    Converts the lifeforce of all citizens into pure energy, ascends civilization into pure magical beings that are contained within the land itself and are therefore immortal
    +can spend magic to add directly to civilization defence for one turn; +research multiplier; +income multiplier; +unlimited culture

Stable Singularity (Energy, Space-Time, Transmutation, Pericognition)
    Self-stabilizing loop of magic generates unlimited power given a seed
    +invest magic to permanently increase magic income

Perfect Precognition (Pericognition, Psychich, Space-Time, Energy)
    Creates a search across all possible futures and gives a step by step list of instructions of how to navigate the current time into a desired outcome
    +invest magic to improve any one aspect

Mindsphere (Psychic, Pericognition, Energy, Transmutation)
    Links the skills of citizens together to transfer learning extremely quickly
    +invest magic to instantly train students

Reality Revising Array (Space-Time, Transmutation, Energy, Pericognition, Psychic)
    Extremely demanding ritual to revise reality as the leader wishes, can slowly alter reality rules; speed and cost due to needing to do it safely!
    +spend magic to instantly gain any spell effect (or research ranks)

Research
    Transmutation (material effects; reshape, craft material, lead to gold)
    Energy (pure magic/energy effects; blaster, flight)
    Psychic (mental effects; mind control, illusion, emotion effects)
    Pericognition (information gathering / concealment; past/present/future viewing, detection, fate control)
    Space-Time (teleportation, time travel, portals, planar travel)
    Life (living things; healing, living wood, cross breed, ressurection, immortality)

Spell Theory (instants)
    Bounded Fields (items / wards)
    Natural Magic (Great Works, Strategic spells)
    Mathematics

Policies
    Mana Tax
    - Punishment only (+distilled magic)
    - Students (++distilled magic, -discipline)
    - Staff (+++distilled magic, -discipline, -morale)

Privatized Crafting
    - Staff only (+morale, -income from items)
    - Students (+discipline, -income from items)

Ward Reinforcing Duty (-morale, +Ward Strength)

Hiring Practices (% of graduates to become staff)

Awakening Rituals (spend magic to gain non-political students)
    Scholarships (spend money to gain no-fee students)
    Public Lectures (spend staff actions to train citizens, +civilization defence)

Character Background
    Archmage (+magic, +defence)
    Researcher (+research, +training)
    Warmage (+PP, +defence)

Enemies
    Monsters
    Rival Civilization
    Formless Darkness
    Outsider

I mean, if you group magic by what sort of thing it affects, that makes so much more sense than random things like the division between air and water!

And since that wasn't really much of a story, I also included 597 words for Hero's War.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Project Flight continues apace. The wind tunnel was quickly completed and testing on wing structures has begun. While I do not recall the design of lift surfaces and the derivation of the flow equations is still far beyond us, I have at least demonstrated Bernoulli's principle by measuring pressure across a pinched glass tube. We are heading into a realm of engineering that I am not familiar with and many of the principles I only recall vaguely or even just by name, the rate of advancement when we do not have a theoretical underpinning is markedly slower.
    Even so, the project is optimistic that the problems faced can be overcome, and even if ultimately taking too long, advancements made can be applied in other areas. We have teams looking into designing tubes and structures for strength while minimizing density, a materials team aiming to reproduce plastic, at least two teams working on aerodynamic design, two trying to make a light enough engine. Engines in particular are being taken in two directions, one using pure magical force to drive a wind against the wings, the other trying to utilize the greater energy efficiency of generating heat.
    In other news, a different branch of the project is focused on lighter than air flight. Levitation is easy enough with a supply of magic but exceedingly inefficient. A kilogram of weight burns one unit of magic every second just to negate the influence of gravity, with more required to keep it stable. A team is trying to build better magical containment tanks in order to store more magic, while another is trying to follow in my footsteps by making hydrogen balloons. My warnings on safety have led to investigation into refining helium from the natural gas normally bled off by the oil casking company in Inath and fractional distillation of air to make nitrogen fire suppressors.
    All in all, both lighter than air and powered flight project appear to be progressing well, although only the lighter than air teams have had any successful flights. While lookout balloons are not useful at Fort Yang due to the presence of steep cliffs overlooking the entire valley, designs have been put forward for trade with Ranra for use at the eastern-most towns.

Landar and the university team have successfully created the first theoretical spell before a practical casting was performed. In traditional spellcrafting, spells were designed and refined with successive rounds of improvisation until the final form was experimentally optimized. However, their answer to the accelerated shield piercing blasts is both ingenious and so complicated that it is impossible for a person to cast it directly.
    The shield is a diffuse shell set to modify all spells passing through it in the same way that magic circles or casters apply changes. By modifying the spell's boundary to be almost completely made of holes, the contained magic inside the attacking spell is rapidly leaked into the environment. Provided the shield is set far enough away from the target being protected, a disruption bolt passing through it will dissolve into the air before hitting. Initial calculations and design bore out in the magic circle version that was tested later.
    While Minmay is glad that we finally have an answer to the shield piercing attacks Landar invented many months ago, I am more interested in the advent of theoretical spell design. Only Landar truly appreciates how far we have come in understanding magic that a design of a spell on paper could be refined and put into practice with only very minor changes later.

And 657 words for Ar Tonelico fanfic
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Later Naka," Tei shook his head, "you watch over them while I make sure no one tries to steal. If I had known I'd have asked Iki for help. "
    "Hai," his partner saluted him and took the bracelet, "all right everyone, we're going to try to sing with this today. It's a... mother-in-law's ring. Why they call it a ring when it's a bracelet I have no idea. "
    She examined the purple crystal and frowned, "the install is Glass Heart. Hey, Tei, who thought this was good idea? The emotional amplification might be too much for some of them to handle. "
    "Hm, if it amplifies emotions, it might make Song Magic easier. It's a good choice, I think. "
    Naka just scowled back, "do you even know what it'll do to us?"
    "Just try it and we'll see?" Tei asked.
    "This is why men are..." Naka muttered. She snapped the bracelet around her wrist.
    The class watched her intently. Naka closed her eyes and shuddered as the install's effects wove into her own personal song.
    Aya was watching the reyvateil's interaction with her partner though. She seemed to be comfortable around the man and the was cheerful enough that Aya thought she must not find the knight repulsive. Was this what they called the bond between the knight and his reyvateil?
    Naka let out a breath and opened her eyes. They were round and liquid, unlike her sharp energy from before. Even though she hadn't moved much, her body seemed to have become softer and rounder. More fragile. An unheard song wafted around them, a sound in the air that was Naka herself.
    "Woah, the effects are stronger than I thought," Naka said softly. She swayed on her feet, in time with her song.
    "Are you all right?" Tei asked, watching her worriedly.
    Naka's smile was as bright as the sun, "thank you for asking, I'm fine. I'm really happy you worried about me. "
    "Of course I would, I'm your partner after all. "
    Naka's reply was only to whistle. A wave of song magic wafted out from her, surrounding her and Tei with an aura of power. Overhead, an armoured figure appeared. The accompaniment to her song echoed powerfully even though they were in a flat plain.
    The figure circled them once before a large shield appeared beside it and the song gained more depth. The suit of armour watched the rest of the class intently, as if gauging whether it needed to protect the pair.
    Tei looked around in astonishment, a hum seeming to accompany his every movement. "Seriously? You managed to upgrade Earth Defence to second? And this... this is harmonics?!"
    Naka just beamed at him, still whistling a swelling orchestral piece. A few seconds later, the song died down and the figure disappeared.
    Naka panted heavily as she let the magic go, "singing is so easy, but I can't hold this level of emotion without burning out. If we try to use this in battle, I'll burn through tranquility like water. I can see why Lyner didn't have a use for it despite the power. "
    "And I feel fragile," Naka looked down at herself, "like I'm made out of glass. Like if you hit me, I'll break more than just my body. I guess that's why they call it Glass Heart. "
    "It's all right, I won't let that happen," Tei rubbed her head affectionately.
    "Thank you but I don't want to be a burden. It's best if this bracelet is only used for training," Naka closed her eyes and snapped it off her wrist.
    The swelling power around her died away slowly. Then Naka's eyes snapped open to her original cheerful self. "All right! That was a blast! Now let's see you girls try it!"
    Last edited by jseah; 2017-06-26 at 11:27 AM.

20. - Top - End - #1160
    Ogre in the Playground

I've been siiiiiiick! Stupid aggressive colds. But I did manage to get 1884 words of siren story down: link.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

21. - Top - End - #1161

Status for June 19 - June 25

Glass Mouse passes with 1884 words of siren short.

Lycunadari passes with one pride drawing, two Draw Everything June drawings and eight nature pictures.

jseah passes with 1600 words of game rules, 597 words for Hero's War and 657 words of Ar Tonelico fanfic .

Xiander passes with 2154 words of How to remember.

Thus nobody FAILS this round!

Current standing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Glass Mouse
    Current run: 4

Lycunadari
    Current run: 233 weeks

jseah
    Current Run: 72 weeks

Xiander
    Current run: 51 weeks

LeSwordfish

Icewalker

Lovely Vulcan

------

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Hey folks! Thanks Lycun for picking up the torch, and Glass Mouse, I'm glad you were able to recognize the need to pass it! I'm thinking of entering back in, but I'm not sure when I'll start. Hello all!
    Welcome back!
    You can call me Juniper.

Lycunadari