New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The CHALLENGE chugs on!

Interested in joining, just to see how I fare. Six images a week? or Five? I have been practicing more often lately, but it would be better if I could actually stick to a schedule, you know?

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Artman77 View Post
    Interested in joining, just to see how I fare. Six images a week? or Five? I have been practicing more often lately, but it would be better if I could actually stick to a schedule, you know?
    I know exactly what you mean! Without the Challenge, I'd easily go weeks without creating anything. This is a good habit
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

Status for the week of April 6 - 12! We're a passable band of artists, indeed!

Glass Mouse passes with a Genre Unsavvy comic strip, and 2183 words of rpging

Lycunadari passes with seven pretty flower pictures.

Allan Dotson passes with a new Critters page, a wraith elf, a dragon baby, a stone giant, an elf mummy, a dwarf wizard, a creepy balloon man, a gnoll, and a minotaur.

Cuthalion passes with three chubby birds, two colour-soaked landscapes, and a startled vampire deer.

Thus, no one FAILS this round!

Glass Mouse, Lycunadari, Allan Dotson and Cuthalion PASS this round!

Current standing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Glass Mouse
    Current run: 233 weeks
    Longest run: -
    Themes: -

Lycunadari
    Current run: 119 weeks

Allan Dotson
    Current run: 32 weeks

Cuthalion
    Current run: 4 weeks

This week's theme (April 13 - 19), chosen by me, is Deal with the Devil.

Next week's theme is chosen by Lycunadari - let me know in PM or this thread, and I'll include it in the next status.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Halfling in the Playground

Ms. Mouse.

It's been nearly a year. I think it's time I get back to work.

I also have a potential question.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by redfeatherraven View Post
    Ms. Mouse.

It's been nearly a year. I think it's time I get back to work.

I also have a potential question.
    Quoth the raven, what?

(also yay, welcome back! I seriously can't believe it's been a year already)
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

6. - Top - End - #216

Time flies, Ms. Mouse, and I'm astonished too. But I'm beginning to realize my work duties are no hinderance - or at least no acceptable one, with the free time I have besides - and feel it's time to get the spark back.

As to my question: I would like, if possible, to begin a division of the CHALLENGE in my Internet homeland of Smashboards. I do not know the interest per se, but I know several people it would help, myself included.

As the current steward, I thought it best to ask permission for such an undertaking from you. It would be my wish to credit however you think appropriate, as well.

That stated, and regardless of answer, I'll be honored to return to the CHALLENGE here beginning next round.

7. - Top - End - #217

Got my six, including a "deal with the devil"
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...6#post19135906

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

As to my question: I would like, if possible, to begin a division of the CHALLENGE in my Internet homeland of Smashboards. I do not know the interest per se, but I know several people it would help, myself included.
    I have no objections whatsoever! Go for it

I would of course love if people came here to join us (so a "hey, this is the original idea/thread --> link" type of credit would be neat!), but I can't in good faith speak against any initiative meant to inspire more people! Be warned, though, that being the thread caretaker means you pretty much never skimp on creative duties again

Got my six, including a "deal with the devil"
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...6#post19135906
    Official welcome to the Challenge, then! And awesome that you're a theme follower - those need a renaissance right about now.
    I'll go throw you a critique when I'm not on my way to bed here
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

Status for the week of April 13 - 19!

Glass Mouse passes with a Genre Unsavvy comic strip, 900 words of rpging, and most of a devil deal-driven short story.

Lycunadari passes with three forest pictures, and a romantic picnic painting.

Allan Dotson passes with a tiger-riding orc, an ant monster, an animal-loving hobgoblin, a robot, a tub (including a duckie), a Critters group pic, and a scorpion eldar.

Cuthalion passes with two neighborhood sketches, an armful of references, a chickadee, a lark, two bird of prey mugshots, and a charcoal portrait.

Artman77 passes with five colours worth of M:tG mana symbols, and a devil-summoning comic.

Glass Mouse, Lycunadari, Allan Dotson, Cuthalion and Artman77 PASS this round!

Current standing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Glass Mouse
    Current run: 234 weeks
    Themes: 1 week

Lycunadari
    Current run: 120 weeks

Allan Dotson
    Current run: 33 weeks

Cuthalion
    Current run: 5 weeks

Artman77
    Current run: 1 week

This week's theme (April 20 - 26) has not been chosen yet, so it is up for grabs.

Next week's theme is chosen by Allan Dotson - let me know in PM or this thread, and I'll include it in the next status.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

10. - Top - End - #220
    Pixie in the Playground

Can I join this challenge with my comic? I don't particularly want the rewards, just something to keep me on track (write the script one day, backgrounds the next, do the characters, putting it all together, then finishing touches).

11. - Top - End - #221

For the next this theme I would like to suggest: FAMOUS.
    Last edited by Artman77; 2015-04-21 at 01:41 AM.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jinglebelle View Post
    Can I join this challenge with my comic? I don't particularly want the rewards, just something to keep me on track (write the script one day, backgrounds the next, do the characters, putting it all together, then finishing touches).
    Of course!

Writing is counted as either 250 words or a self-contained unit (such as a poem or, I would argue, a comic script). 1 background = 1 piece. 1 distinct character = 1 piece. Putting it all together and finishing touches are harder to quantify.

Not to say you can't do your process however you like, of course

For the next theme I would like to suggest: FAMOUS.
    Just to clarify: Famous would be for this week that ends in six days, right?

Edit: Ninja'ed by editing. Curses!

Also, Jinglebelle brings up an important subject: rewards and prizes.

We have a long list of rewards, but I'm not sure how much the rewarders actually keep track and remember to offer up their prizes. I wouldn't mind keeping track of when someone has earned a reward, but I hesitate to take over bookkeeping because I'm not sure if removing that minimum investment from the rewarder side would result in more flakiness. It would, however, be nice to celebrate more publicly when someone passes a mark, and maybe to shine a spotlight on the actual prizes.

So I have two questions for those of you offering rewards:
    1. Would you like me to take over bookkeeping and nudge you whenever someone has earned a reward from you?
    2. Are you still offering up a reward? (silence will be interpreted as a "no" here)

If you can't remember the current rewards, they are: Paintings from Lycunadari at 7 and 21 weeks, index cards from 'Neath the Moon at 5 weeks, critiques from The Fiery Tower at 10 weeks, and portraits from me at 10 weeks. IncoherentEssay's reward is obsolete by now, so I'm gonna remove it.

I'll probably change my own reward a little, but we'll take that in follow-up post to this.
    Last edited by Glass Mouse; 2015-04-21 at 11:24 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    Of course!

Writing is counted as either 250 words or a self-contained unit (such as a poem or, I would argue, a comic script). 1 background = 1 piece. 1 distinct character = 1 piece. Putting it all together and finishing touches are harder to quantify.

Not to say you can't do your process however you like, of course

Just to clarify: Famous would be for this week that ends in six days, right?

Edit: Ninja'ed by editing. Curses!

Also, Jinglebelle brings up an important subject: rewards and prizes.

We have a long list of rewards, but I'm not sure how much the rewarders actually keep track and remember to offer up their prizes. I wouldn't mind keeping track of when someone has earned a reward, but I hesitate to take over bookkeeping because I'm not sure if removing that minimum investment from the rewarder side would result in more flakiness. It would, however, be nice to celebrate more publicly when someone passes a mark, and maybe to shine a spotlight on the actual prizes.

So I have two questions for those of you offering rewards:
    1. Would you like me to take over bookkeeping and nudge you whenever someone has earned a reward from you?
    2. Are you still offering up a reward? (silence will be interpreted as a "no" here)

If you can't remember the current rewards, they are: Paintings from Lycundaria at 7 and 21 weeks, index cards from 'Neath the Moon at 5 weeks, critiques from The Fiery Tower at 10 weeks, and portraits from me at 10 weeks. IncoherentEssay's reward is obsolete by now, so I'm gonna remove it.

I'll probably change my own reward a little, but we'll take that in follow-up post to this.
    I believe I've earned pretty much all of those in the past, Incoherent was actually going to create my cake topper for the wedding....but then dissappeared. The rest I didn't know about actually earning, aside from Glass's, which I haven't turned in for her to do yet.

So in otherwords, letting us know what we earn might very well assist in us actually being aware that we earned them.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

14. - Top - End - #224

If you can't remember the current rewards, they are: Paintings from Lycunadari at 7 and 21 weeks, index cards from 'Neath the Moon at 5 weeks, critiques from The Fiery Tower at 10 weeks, and portraits from me at 10 weeks. IncoherentEssay's reward is obsolete by now, so I'm gonna remove it.

Actually, I stopped offering prizes several months ago, you probably missed my post back then:

Quote Originally Posted by Lycunadari View Post
    I'm sorry I have to say this, but I can't make any more challenge prizes for the next time. I'm starting university next week and will be moving twice in the next two weeks, so I wont have time for them. I'll try to get those I have already started/know what I should paint* done (though I don't know when), but I wont make any new ones. Maybe I can offer them again after I've gotten used to uni and stuff, but I don't know when that will be. Sorry.

*That means 'Neath the Moon, Glass Mouse and Neoriceisgood will still get one each
    So yeah, no paintings from me, having prizes to do was stressing me out too much and my mental health is bad enough as it is. Sorry.
    You can call me Juniper. Please use gender-neutral pronouns (ze/hir (preferred) or they/them) when referring to me.

"We all are vessels of our brokenness, we carry it inside us like water, careful not to spill. And what is wholeness if not brokenness encompassed in acceptance, the warmth of its power a shield against those who would hurt us?" - R. Lemberg, Geometries of Belonging

Stories Art

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lycunadari View Post
    Actually, I stopped offering prizes several months ago, you probably missed my post back then:
    Oh, sorry, I actually answered that. I just forgot to update the FAQ post and then... obviously forgot about everything.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    So in otherwords, letting us know what we earn might very well assist in us actually being aware that we earned them.
    Haha. Fair point! Originally the reward offerers would do that work on their own (which, in my experience, people have done, at least for a while). But it's easy to forget.

I'll start including it in the status post! It's kind of moot since I'm apparantly the only one offering prizes currently, but, uh... hey, everyone, we need more prizes, feel free to offer*!

Also also:
    I'm still behind on some prizes (and still awaiting response on others), and I'm of course gonna honor those, but going forward I'll change my prize to try to encourage more theme-following!

The portrait is now achieved by both passing and following the theme for 10 consecutive weeks.

*if you do offer, don't worry about making people work for it. Offering e.g. a prize every fifth week easily adds up to a prize a week for you, which is a one-way ticket to burnoutville. More people offering fewer prizes is far superior to few people offering many prizes.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

16. - Top - End - #226

week 2; link

17. - Top - End - #227

Sneaking this in before Mouse arrives. Shh. I haven't slept since Sun evening, if that counts.

I'll get a more formal setup going again soon, but for now, if it may be excused, I'll just set this in spoilers. The total word count between the articles is 1528 (1532 with the four words in the two headers included).

For those playing the home game, or who do not have memories going back a year, these are two proposed enemies for my Immortal Cheese roguelike project, perpetually in progress. They're not themed, but it was good to get back in the swing of things.

Spoiler: Bone Lurkers
    Show
    ++ Bone Lurkers

Bone lurkers are much like hermit crabs, if such a crab were to have incredibly sloppy makeouts with a Lovecraftian horror.

Looking much like snakes with legs, bone lurkers are not terribly durable in their natural state and, as the name might suggest, seek to defend themselves by wearing bones. The exact usage of the bone varies, but most often they are seen burrowing into one end of a long bone, such as the bones of your arm or leg, and out the other side, feasting upon marrow as it goes. Then it scrapes rough holes for its legs through the sides of the now-hollow bone and wanders off in search of its next meal. Often it will protect its head with another bone, such as a skull, which is simply worn.

Coincidentally, skull hunters are fond of bone lurkers, simply because they make their job significantly easier and, at the same time, are not terribly difficult for them to kill.

Again analogous to hermit crabs, as a lurker ages and grows it must also find larger and larger bones to inhabit. Infant lurkers are small enough to inhabit larger finger bones, while adults typically choose a humerus or radius. The largest species typically inhabit tibia or fibula, and occasionally they can even grow large enough that they will be picky about the species it seeks, selecting larger creatures for their larger bones.

Bone lurkers subsist almost exclusively off of bone marrow and are especially interested in fresh samples. If a lurker finds a bone too small to burrow into, or otherwise unsuitable for its needs, it may still simply break it open and consume its prize. This can occasionally cause a shortage of bones for lurkers when larger lurkers destroy bones the smaller ones could use.

Now all this is well and good if you happen to have a large quantity of bones lying around, and in general the Cellar does. Occasionally, however, when the bone lurker is hungry and there are no bones in sight, it will take matters into its own hands and make some. Generally this involves the incredibly unpleasant business of burrowing into bones that a person is, shall we say, not yet done with. Some of these bones may be yours, making it worth your time to dispatch them before they get any bright ideas.

Lurkers are difficult to hit with projectiles due to their overall small profiles. In melee, they are excessively fast and surprisingly flexible, and find it almost effortless to glide up victims. However, breaking bones, especially brittle and hollow ones, is no issue whatsoever for blunt weaponry. Moreover, the actual lurker inside is nearly completely unprotected out of its bone, and can be killed by nearly anything, though blunt and slicing weapons tend to work best. Lastly, as mentioned, skull hunters will seek out and kill bone lurkers with skulls that can be added to their collection. This can work in your favor, but be warned that the hunter may seek our your skull immediately following.

Spoiler: Ancient Shakers
    Show
    ++ Ancient Shaker

The Ancient Shaker is a scavenging beast that once roamed the vast wastelands of the alien homeworld. They have entered the Cellar for much the same reason as the other scavengers - ample supply compared to the alternatives.

Normally omnivorous to some degree, Ancient Shakers feed on whatever they can scrounge up - they prefer milks when available, but will happily gobble up encroaching flora, carrion, you, and even junk. Did we mention you? It may or may not seek out junk or carrion, but will beeline to milks it can detect, and it can detect them from quite a distance.

Their name is derived from three points. Firstly, they are called "Ancient" because the Corporation has determined, through various means, that the Shakers were present when the aliens were still thriving many millennia ago, although they have changed somewhat since then. The reason they are called Shakers, meanwhile, is twofold - firstly, because they themselves shake constantly, and secondly, because they shake damn near everything else as well.

Their own shaking movement is due to the fact that they have been forced to adapt from a much warmer clime. In the hot alien sun, their whole body had been adapted to the purpose of cooling themselves down; every square inch of their skin was involved in the task, and their bodies shaped such that air ran over it as efficiently as possible and in as much quantity as possble to wick heat away as they moved. However effective this was in lands where the temperature could cook a human alive (quite literally, as several experiments have proven), the pantry, being artificially chilled to protect its contents, presented exactly the opposite problem. Their super-efficient cooling system forced them to shiver to keep warm, and shiver quite violently indeed.

Even years later, after they slowly adapted a long, wooly coat to retain heat, they must still shiver in order to keep up with their need for the warmth they crave, and that their bodies are built to discard. The sensation of such a quaking mass of hairy fuzz lumbering towards an adventurer is generally enough on its own to jostle something else loose within them, which is why we remind you to please keep your standard-issue brown pants with you at all times.

On the surface, they were fairly solitary creatures, needing to communicate over lengthy distances without revealing thir positions to potential predators, as a loud cry might. To this end they have developed a robust system of powerful, yet infrasound, vocalizations. These carry over the vast distances of the wastelands along the very ground itself and can be detected and interpreted by other Ancient Shakers for miles through the soles of their massive feet, with precision down to the direction and an approximation of the distance away. The lengths these communications require, however, requires a fairly massive aural expenditure, and the sound of a Shaker's voice can thus cause rather potent vibrations near it when it speaks. The most potent of such vibrations is a cry of danger, itself a call for help or warning, depending on the distance, to any other Shaker nearby.

While they have adapted their frequency to vibrate the alloys of the Cellar, they have not developed, shall we say, their indoor voice. The volume they use is meant to be heard across dozens, even hundreds of miles, and at its epicenter things can get very nasty very quickly. Their ability to shake walls, ceilings, and objects made of the appropriate alloys can have disastrous effect on their surrounding environment, to the point of shattering items, causing debris to fall from the ceiling, or even causing a section to collapse.

Potentially affected items include any weapons or armor made of alien alloy, any artifacts and trinkets, and any stasis chambers in the immediate vicinity. If the resonance is sustained for a sufficient length of time all of these items are guaranteed to fall apart, but they do so with varying degrees of haste. Eliminating the Shaker as soon as possible can minimize damages.

Besides being disruptive, this can have catastrophic effects on your person, being, as you are, unable to withstand several tons of alien metal piling on your head. If it's any consolation, it was in the inital plans prior to budget cuts. As it stands, you will have to deal with these wooly creatures rather carefully, as at the first sign of danger they will unleash their warning signal. You will have to eliminate them quickly or avoid them and hope they are not interested in you.

Coincidentally, if they ARE interested in you, they'll likely seek you out as food. On the bright side, if they do this, they will only signal their brethren if they feel they're unable to defeat you alone, and this may give you some extra time to neutralize them as they determine this. On the other hand, if they're right, it won't make much of a difference.

The Shakers have excellent senses of smell and touch, obviously, but their vision is highly myopic - good eyesight is frankly of limited use on flat lands with harsh glare, and as such their eyes developed mostly to see broad shapes and movement near their person. This said, their capability to sense vibration is not simply for communication, and they can sense even multiple sources quite accurately through the Cellar floors. They can even detect, to a more limited but still impressive degree, movement behind walls and doors.

It is also worth noting that Shakers are, in fact, almost completely deaf. As their voices are used purely to generate vibrations, their communication is rarely in range of anything we'd call earshot, and little could sneak up on them in their native habitat without being sensed through the ground, hearing in the sense we understand it is of little use to them. They can sense the vibration of the sound waves just fine, sadly, so this does little to assist you, but you may take a moment to be secure in your aural superiority. Neither will the Ancient Shaker know the joy and majesty of the opera, nor the serenading sound of your fibula crunching between its teeth.

Also, a followup:

I have no objections whatsoever! Go for it

I would of course love if people came here to join us (so a "hey, this is the original idea/thread --> link" type of credit would be neat!), but I can't in good faith speak against any initiative meant to inspire more people! Be warned, though, that being the thread caretaker means you pretty much never skimp on creative duties again :smallwink
    I have not yet kickstarted the Smashboards division - I plan to do that tonight or tomorrow as time permits. However Ill gladly link this thread when I do, and if I'm responsible for any new faces here as a result, I'd be honored.

And believe me, I'm hoping to not skimp on creative duties again. I've been doing photomanipulations in the interim, and that's going well and all, but it feels good to create from whole cloth again.
    Last edited by redfeatherraven; 2015-04-27 at 11:23 AM.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

If I don't say that i'm interested in this, then I won't ever get around to it... so yeah! I'm going to try and do 250-odd words on my novel every day for this, or whatever creative thing.

The OP says figurines - what's meant by this? Painting a handful of Warhammer models in a week seems doable and interestingly creative- but do they count?

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

Status for the week of April 20 - 26. I literally can’t remember the last time so many people passed at once - go us!

Glass Mouse passes with a Genre Unsavvy comic strip, a banner, a piece of fanart, and an OC playing superstar.

Lycunadari passes with six pretty flower photos.

Allan Dotson passes with an Elven ghoul, a demon, a regular ol’ ogre, an ogre princess, a sahuagin, a coalacanth, and a dancing skeleton.

Cuthalion passes with a room, a fancy bird, a grumpy cat, a floofy colly, a sheet of cow butts (and heads, I guess), and a horse sheet.

Artman77 passes with a hat, a gangsta mug, an ingraved skull, and three famous-people portraits.

redfeatherraven passes with 1532 words of enemy descriptions.

Glass Mouse, Lycunadari, Allan Dotson, Cuthalion and Artman77 PASS this round!

Current standing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Glass Mouse
    Current run: 235 weeks
    Themes: 2 weeks

Lycunadari
    Current run: 121 weeks

Allan Dotson
    Current run: 34 weeks

Cuthalion
    Current run: 6 weeks

Artman77
    Current run: 2 weeks
    Themes: 2 weeks

This week's theme (April 27 - May 3) has not been chosen yet, so it is up for grabs.

Next week's theme is chosen by Cuthalion - let me know in PM or this thread, and I'll include it in the next status.

Editing for replies.

And believe me, I'm hoping to not skimp on creative duties again. I've been doing photomanipulations in the interim, and that's going well and all, but it feels good to create from whole cloth again.
    Haha. Nothing like a long break to make you realize how good writing feels, huh?

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the new division fares. Keep us posted!

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    If I don't say that i'm interested in this, then I won't ever get around to it... so yeah! I'm going to try and do 250-odd words on my novel every day for this, or whatever creative thing.

The OP says figurines - what's meant by this? Painting a handful of Warhammer models in a week seems doable and interestingly creative- but do they count?
    Awesome! Welcome on board

Figurines were originally added because of IncoherentEssay who crafted figurines out of... uh, clay? Or whatever one uses for such things
    But sure, a Warhammer model would count as well! I might even use that as an excuse to dig out my own miniatures.
    Last edited by Glass Mouse; 2015-04-27 at 09:31 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

20. - Top - End - #230

Theme ninja'd: Secondary colors. Oranges, greens, and purples.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

Geez, all my stuff is blue/green/red dominated. This'll be fun! And by fun, I mean helpwhatamIdoing
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

Figurines were originally added because of IncoherentEssay who crafted figurines out of... uh, clay? Or whatever one uses for such things
    But sure, a Warhammer model would count as well! I might even use that as an excuse to dig out my own miniatures.
    Well, damn, looks like a great time to work on my primarily-orange space marines then!

23. - Top - End - #233
    Troll in the Playground

I shall confirm the theme and point out that it sounds fun.
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

24. - Top - End - #234

Geez, all my stuff is blue/green/red dominated. This'll be fun! And by fun, I mean helpwhatamIdoing
    Yeah, I almost didn't pick that one because we just had a color theme like two weeks ago, but then I realized the same thing. Most of my stuff is black and white, or in the primary color spectrum...

25. - Top - End - #235
    Troll in the Playground

Next week I shall be absent. It's vacation of sorts, and while I'll try to draw it'll not be as easy as here. May I have an exemption for difficulty if I don't get six pieces done?
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cuthalion View Post
    Next week I shall be absent. It's vacation of sorts, and while I'll try to draw it'll not be as easy as here. May I have an exemption for difficulty if I don't get six pieces done?
    Yes and no. You are not allowed to skip a week, but if you are on vacation or in a situation with shaky internet or something to that effect, you just upload two week's worth of material the following week (or accordingly, however many weeks you are out). This has been relevant many times during the Challenge's run, and it's no issue.

So you are not allowed to slack off but you are allowed to redistribute your time a little and not stress about uploading.

Oh, also, while I remember! The status for the week May 11-17 may be a little late. I'll be traveling by then, and I'm not sure when I'll have access to a computer. Shouldn't be more than a day or two late, if even that, so there's no need to make any major changes around it (aka, deadline is Sunday, and new week starts Monday as usual). I just wanted to let you know
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

I don't have a blog so I'll post things here for now.

Five figurines painted:
    Spoiler
    Show

And 312 words of novel:

Spoiler
    Show
    It was nine minutes until it began.

Kessler towers was one of the taller buildings in the london docklands, an glass needle in amongst the financial buildings, eighties office blocks that looked as if they were made out of lego. They'd arrived via a tube train, and squeezed past harassed-looking office workers headed in the other direction. Canary wharf had slowly drained of people as they waited, and now the only people around were themselves - in a cafe overlooking Kessler Securities entrance - and the occasional passer-by. The baristas joked amongst themselves quietly on the other side of the room, and Cora scrutinised their contact.
    Johnny Lee was wire-thin, and seemed to think he was very cool. Mirrored sunglasses and a goatee covered most of his face, but Cora could read nervousness in his body- in the twitching of his foot, the tension in his wrists.
    "Nobody told me you'd bring a bunch of high-schoolers."
    "Well, that would be because they're students." Gideon was dressed in the black turtleneck he'd been wearing the previous night. "And because they're skilled operators and valued members of the team."
    "They're students?" The contact scoffed. "That's great. I was hoping we could get some weed paid for by my taxes here, and…"
    "Please dispense with the hyperbole, mister Lee." Gideon said calmly. "For one thing, you haven’t paid any tax in twenty years. And, for another, it's very important that you trust in the skill and ability of those you'll be working with."
    "If I was working with them on a goddamn premed project, then sure..."
    "If you're not confident in our team, Johnny, we can call this off." Mathilde leaned slightly over to rest one slim hand on his arm. "But we've put a lot of work into this."
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2015-05-02 at 09:14 AM.

28. - Top - End - #238

Whoa, look at the time! No time to post in my art thread, I guess I'll upload and link to them all here real quick!

Secondary colors
    Green
    Green orange and purple
    Changling thief
    Mandalorian armor
    Comic sketches

Edit: Seven minutes late. Son of a *****. I hope I still pass...
    Last edited by Artman77; 2015-05-03 at 11:14 PM.

29. - Top - End - #239

Can't make it in this week. Started it off with a head cold and ended it with a holiday for Get Drunk With Fancy Hats And Watch Ponies Day the Kentucky Derby. I did nothing special for it, but was tapped to chaperone for the weekend and couldn't stay around the computer.

A bit of a stumble, but we'll be back in the saddle for next week. Just looking to hear about the theme; figure I should follow it for a change.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

Status for the week of April 27 - May 3. We're getting populous again!

Glass Mouse passes with a Genre Unsavvy comic strip, three OCs with secondary hair colours, and a purple portrait.

Lycunadari passes with a robot people painting, two plant photos, and some skin drawings.

Allan Dotson passes with a Critters page, a dark elf assassin, a cyberwolf, an Avengers D&D posters, an insecto-fish mix-monster, a worg, two superdogs, and a dragon-birdy mix-monster.

Cuthalion will be back on the 10th with 2 weeks worth of pieces.

Artman77 passes with a bunch of murderous colours, a green sun, three dramatic TMNTs, a thief, a Mondalorian armor, and a sheet of character sketches.

redfeatherraven didn’t upload/send me anything.

LeSwordfish passes with five orange spacemarines, and 312 words of novel

Thus, redfeatherraven FAILS this round!

Glass Mouse, Lycunadari, Allan Dotson, Cuthalion, Artman77 and LeSwordfish PASS this round!

Current standing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Glass Mouse
    Current run: 236 weeks
    Themes: 3 weeks

Lycunadari
    Current run: 122 weeks

Allan Dotson
    Current run: 35 weeks

Cuthalion
    Current run: 6 weeks (pending 1)

Artman77
    Current run: 3 weeks
    Themes: 3 weeks

redfeatherraven
    Current run: -
    Longest run: 4 weeks

LeSwordfish
    Current run: 1 week

This week's theme (May 4 - May 10) has not been chosen yet, so it is up for grabs.

Next week's theme is chosen by Artman77 - let me know in PM or this thread, and I'll include it in the next status.

Edit: Seven minutes late. Son of a *****. I hope I still pass...
    No worries. Generally, if it's up before I do the status post, you pass. I'm too lazy to double-check everyone for timezones.
    IIRC, the actual deadline is around 4am US time because this is when Sunday is over everywhere - the "Sunday is deadline" is supposed to hold for everyone. The status post comes later (though erratically so) because that's almost noon in DK, and I tend to be anywhere but home then. So in most places, you can get away with posting something a little late. I wouldn't do it personally because I don't like gambling on other people's erratic schedules, but hey, you all do you
    Last edited by Glass Mouse; 2015-05-04 at 02:02 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge