Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 41920212223242526272829
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Crossroads II: I'm on a Mammoth.

Hey guys, guess what I just posted!

It's the long-awaited, way-overdue,
    WARRIOR
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #842

*pokes thread with a stick*
    Hey. Hey. You alive?

It's the last weekend of the month, so that means next one's the skype call. Since the usual bat-time is the 4th of July (Independence Day in the US of A) how about we just shift it over to Sunday the 5th? Time should still be fine, 2 PM EST (daylight savings)

In entirely unrelated news, I've been thinking about the vinlandrs and I've had some interesting ideas for the culture. Like, maybe taking more of a note from the vikings about their lifestyle. Maybe give them a unified government, a legal system, like the vikings had. Maybe the position of 'Jarl' (which might deserve renaming to something more inuit-sounding) is not a personal one, but a married couple, a male and a female leader, who might have distinct responsibilities, or they might just be interchangeable. Maybe the male is sort of the clan's commander-in-chief and hunt-leader, while the female is in charge of resources and supplies at home. Also, I had the idea that the jarl's home is more than just a single-occupancy dwelling, it's a permanent centerpiece to the whole community. It's like the great halls of viking legends, a sort of multi-purpose structure. It's a feast hall, a gathering place, a throne room, a fortified bunker, and a home to the jarl family.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #843
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I like that idea. It would be interesting if the Mammoth people were Patriarchal, since you would have the culture clash of three societies across the Arctic.

Speaking of the Arctic, I haven't heard back from my contact about sources or anything yet. I will send an email tomorrow. I had a lot of stuff going on in the last while that I wanted to wait until after to start again on the project.

4. - Top - End - #844

I could see mammutchadinne being patriarchal. Well, it's possible. I'd have to examine the Dogrib people again, but it could probably be done.

Also, I've been thinking about otters, lately.
    I admit, I had some doubts about the realism of training an animal that lives in such a dramatically different environment, but I've recently stumbled upon some videos of people training minks for ratting and fishing purposes, which has renewed my faith in the possibility. I don't think a 7-foot otter would be all that great for ratting, but if dire rats are a thing, then I suppose dire ratting could be a thing, too. Plus, I underestimated a human's ability to hold their breath (two minutes, compared to a normal otter's four).
    But here's the question. What would humans breed for through the domestication process? They'd obviously want more friendly creatures, the typical result of domestication. Maybe get rid of the stink glands, if they can. But what else? Scent? Could otters be useful as trackers? Color? Would domesticated otters have unusual fur colors? Or something I haven't thought of yet?
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #845

GnomeWizardGuy

I remember from the National Geographic article on domestication that the foxes that were bred for domestication started to develop a patch pattern instead of the solid colours of a wild fox. That's why dogs appear to have that fur pattern, and I guess wild horses would be very unlikely to have non-solid coloured hides as well.

6. - Top - End - #846
    Ogre in the Playground

The skills they have depend on what they bred into the otters and the time they had to do the breeding. Depending on the number of generations they had to work with you can have a wide variety of skills that has been bred into or out of them.
    Maybe they've been bred to be less agressive? More agile? Bred to fit into a human social life? Bred to have more pups per pregnancy? Bred to be stronger for towing a swimming human? Bred to imprint on a single human when they open their eyes?
    You can go in many different directions.

I think i wont be able to make it on sunday, i think i'm going to have the early shift on monday and if i attend the Skype call things are going to get a bit late for me.
    I'll know for sure on thursday or Friday.

In other news, me and my wife have bought a new house and we're now preparing to sell our current house. And after that we're going to have to start renovating and then it's moving time (books are bloody heavy!).
    So i'm probably not going to have a lot of time to do research and things like that for the next months. I should still be able to attend the Skype calls though.

7. - Top - End - #847

Otters
    I would assume the first thing you'd breed otters for would be making them more tame, less aggressive, more human-friendly.
    Looking at native american canine breeds, what I seem to find is that there was relatively little in the way of intentional breeding for a specific trait, rather, the breeds were formed via culling unsuitable offspring, such as the violent or the weak. (Also, apparently there were some very unique breeds in northwest coast area, including a bear-hunting dog that was carried around in a bag until the hunters found tracks, and a wool-bearing dog.) In theory, a similar tactic would be applied to otters, leading to a general trend for otters more suited to a given task. The amount of variation in the domesticated otters, and how different they would be from the wild ones, would be dependent on how long they were being domesticated, which seems like an important question.
    One of the brewers in the call to brew thread found a bunch of myths about a water-dwelling type of little folk that was believed to keep tame otters and beavers. Just thought I would point that out as a possible source for domesticated otters.
    Also, we could probably use a better name than 'domesticated otters'. Something catchy.

It's always unfortunate when real life interferes with fun, but alas, it is the price we adults pay for being able to have bacon whenever we want.
    Congratulations on the house! A most excellent development. It's unfortunate that you won't be able to help with the research, but as always, I'd be glad to have your voice in the skype calls. Again, gratz on the house!
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #848

So, the skype call didn't happen, which is saddening, but unfortunately unavoidable. Accursed schedules.

So, no comment on the idea of otters being initially domesticated by the little folk? I thought that would be an interesting twist...
    Also, if the little folk were the sole culture with access to the otters, and only shared them once they made friendly contact with the humans in the great lakes region, that would be a way to limit how long they had access to the otters.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #849
    Ogre in the Playground

It's an interesting idea, but does it have to be friendly contact?
    They're domesticated animals, not animals bound to the soul of the Fey, right? The Ganonsyoni could have taken the otters for themselves in the raids and wars before the Great Peacemaker united them. The Little Folk are still a bit miffed about that and even though Hiawatha himself tried to mend things, the Ganonsyoni were unwilling to give up the otters seeing as how usefull they are.
    It's another nice plothook: the Ganonsyoni still feel like they have a debt with the Little Folk they need to repay, but the Little Folk are unwilling to accept anything other than their otters which the Ganonsyoni don't want to give up.

10. - Top - End - #850

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    So, no comment on the idea of otters being initially domesticated by the little folk? I thought that would be an interesting twist...
    I think it's a little low-scale. Why just otters? A little folk clan that lives by a deep lake could ride large fish around or use cranes as mounts or companions and whatever. Rodents could be looked at as perfectly reasonable pets, while raccoons could be the equivalent of a rambunctious dog. And that could be all before any of those animals get's a template slapped onto them that makes them closer to 'citizens' then 'pets'.

The little folk should be fantastic; they're fairies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

11. - Top - End - #851

Little Folk
    Oooh, man, those are both really interesting takes on it...

I'm not so sure about the idea of the otters being stolen. It makes sense, but it seems like, after a few generations of otters, it wouldn't really be getting the otters 'back', so much as denying them to the Ganonsyoni. They wouldn't likely be able to steal ALL the otters so the little folk have none, and even if they did, then it would likely be easy enough to give them litters of otter pups to try and mend proverbial fences.
    I suppose it could just be a point of friction between the two groups, where the otters now widely-used by the ganonsyoni are just a reminder that they stole the otters in the distant past.

As to integrated animals suggestion, for one, that sounds awesome. I'm not sure about it, though. A brief scan of little folk legends seems to indicate that there aren't all that many of them that mention the use of animals in significant capacity. Of course, there's not a lot of comprehensive data, so maybe whoever wrote it all down just didn't think it was worth mentioning. I do think there would be some societies with it, though, I remember the Ishigaq had... lemmings? Lemmings, I think.
    Maybe when I fiddle with the little folk, I'll make an option to gain a modified racial familiar-thing.

Touched
    Also, I've been thinking on the touched. I love the concept, but I fear the whole thing is a little enormous, and I'm not entirely sure how to tighten it up without stripping away the vast majority of what makes them so unique and interesting. I'm kinda tempted to make it a category of feats rather than a whole race thing, but, again, I think that would probably strip away a lot of the cool details.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #852

GnomeWizardGuy

So I have updated the Arctic Over-culture. It should be almost complete now. Just have to write up an example city and double check a few facts. What do people think?

13. - Top - End - #853
    Troll in the Playground

*tap tap*

...Hello? Can anyone hear me?

Is anyone here?

*tap tap tap*

Is this thing working?

14. - Top - End - #854

Okay, yeah, this one's mostly on me. I been pretty focused on my writing, and since things have been so quiet lately, I sorta let this one get away from me, then figured I should probably take a step back so I don't stress myself out by biting off more than I can chew.
    I'm still here, watching. But I'm only working on stuff when the inspiration strikes, I'm not actively pushing to make it happen.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #855

GnomeWizardGuy

I will be willing to be involved in discussions, but at the moment, I am not to keen on taking on any side projects. I wouldn't mind a review of the Arctic Over-Culture, since I have it pretty much complete now (Still need to think of a good way to visualize the settlements though).

16. - Top - End - #856
    Troll in the Playground

Originally Posted by Admiral Squish
    I'm still here, watching.
    Hey there--I tried to send you a PM, but your inbox is full. Send me a ping when you can.