Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2014

    Default Healers: Most boring class ever?

    Out of my group of players, we run mostly combat-oriented characters, with some skill points invested in social skills, so fairly adaptable. But one of the players brought out the healer class and we all looked at it and agreed that it kind of sucks at anything other than what its soul purpose is to do: Heal. It can't do combat with its poor selection of spells and it seems vaguely incapable of most other things. So is there something I'm missing?
    He/Him
    A little RAW is a dangerous thing...
    drink deep, or taste not of the optimisation spring.
    There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain...
    and drinking deeply sobers us again.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Healers: Most boring class ever?

    It gets significantly more interesting, possibly to the point of hitting tier 4 status, if you make use of the sanctified spells from the book of exalted deeds and champions of valor. You get lots of cool stuff from those spells, very little of it of the healing persuasion.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The Nettlewood
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Healers: Most boring class ever?

    It is rather limited, yeah. Much more suited to a NPC ally or cohort than a player character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2014

    Default Re: Healers: Most boring class ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    It is rather limited, yeah. Much more suited to a NPC ally or cohort than a player character.
    That's what I was thinking. I was also thinking of cutting off its access to spells above sixth level and making its progression more adept-esque and making it an NPC class. As it is, it's too good for a cohort and too non-combat based for a PC.
    He/Him
    A little RAW is a dangerous thing...
    drink deep, or taste not of the optimisation spring.
    There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain...
    and drinking deeply sobers us again.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Healers: Most boring class ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    That's what I was thinking. I was also thinking of cutting off its access to spells above sixth level and making its progression more adept-esque and making it an NPC class. As it is, it's too good for a cohort and too non-combat based for a PC.
    I don't really see why you'd need to drop the progression. If you don't do the sanctified spells thing, the adept is already better than the healer.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The Nettlewood
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Healers: Most boring class ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    That's what I was thinking. I was also thinking of cutting off its access to spells above sixth level and making its progression more adept-esque and making it an NPC class. As it is, it's too good for a cohort and too non-combat based for a PC.
    Not sure where you're coming from with that one. How is it too good for a cohort? Because it has Gate as a 9th level spell, eventually?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Back o' beyond
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Healers: Most boring class ever?

    Having run with the class before, yeah, it's pretty bad. If it were spontaneous it would be marginal, but as a preparation class it's well into the unplayable region. As it is, it seems like we turn to the healer and say "Did you prepare Remove Paralysis?" "No." "Did you prepare Break Enchantment?" "No." "Magic Circle?" "Actually, I don't even get that."

    Other things like "Oh, I get an ability this level!" "Oh?" "Yes, I can remove blindness/deafness!" "You're level nine. Is it at will or something?" "Nope, once a day. " ""

    At least he can switch out the Unicorn for a Lamasu at 12. That'a free level 7 cleric. Then he gets actual clerical spell access. At level 16, you get a couatl, which is a free level 9 sorcerer.

    If you want to make the class an NPC class, just remove the companion. At high level, the companion is the only source of power.

    If you want to make the class a PC class, change the class to spontaneous casting with all spells known. Then change the Cleanse abilities to be like Bardic Music. You get a pool of 1 use per day per level, and you can use any of those abilities that you want.
    Disagreeing with people is not being rude. Its called 'discussion' you should look it up sometime. -- Lokiare

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Manly Man's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Healers: Most boring class ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by da_chicken View Post
    Having run with the class before, yeah, it's pretty bad. If it were spontaneous it would be marginal, but as a preparation class it's well into the unplayable region. As it is, it seems like we turn to the healer and say "Did you prepare Remove Paralysis?" "No." "Did you prepare Break Enchantment?" "No." "Magic Circle?" "Actually, I don't even get that."

    Other things like "Oh, I get an ability this level!" "Oh?" "Yes, I can remove blindness/deafness!" "You're level nine. Is it at will or something?" "Nope, once a day. " ""

    At least he can switch out the Unicorn for a Lamasu at 12. That'a free level 7 cleric. Then he gets actual clerical spell access. At level 16, you get a couatl, which is a free level 9 sorcerer.

    If you want to make the class an NPC class, just remove the companion. At high level, the companion is the only source of power.

    If you want to make the class a PC class, change the class to spontaneous casting with all spells known. Then change the Cleanse abilities to be like Bardic Music. You get a pool of 1 use per day per level, and you can use any of those abilities that you want.
    This. It really seems quite sensible.

    In my experience, combat-wise, yeah, Healers are pretty disappointing. However, in terms of the character itself, one of the most fun characters I've ever had was a Healer. I made her to be a petite Thai lady that even a dragon wouldn't eat because, and I quote, "She is so sweet that I would most certainly be made ill." Also a good cook, managed to make great food out of almost nothing.

    Of course, this has just about nothing to do with crunch at all, so it's not all that helpful.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •