New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: EVE Online 2: Giant in the Sandbox (Still a terrible game for terrible people)

Alright, I ordered my new desktop. Should be here in a few days, and then I'll be in space with you guys. I'm looking forwards to it.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: EVE Online 2: Giant in the Sandbox (Still a terrible game for terrible people)

Quote Originally Posted by firedaemon33 View Post
    Alright, I ordered my new desktop. Should be here in a few days, and then I'll be in space with you guys. I'm looking forwards to it.
    Cool beans, looking forward to it. I've been talking to CJ about industry, he should be able to help you get started at the very least.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Venetian Mask View Post
    Cool beans, looking forward to it. I've been talking to CJ about industry, he should be able to help you get started at the very least.
    I can help too :D

Actually, if you are interested in doing trade, now is the perfect time to get into it. The alliance is still in the process of getting settled into a new region, which means the market still has plenty of niches to be filled.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Speaking of industry, how do you set a price on blueprint copies? I've been getting into exploring over the past several days and the BPCs I've collected are just sitting in my inventory gathering dust. What was the logic behind making those unmarketable again?
    Last edited by Teln; 2014-05-23 at 01:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Book of Erotic Fantasy
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    If you use a blood-based McGuffin in a campaign with a vampire PC, plan for what will happen when said PC sticks it in his mouth.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teln View Post
    Speaking of industry, how do you set a price on blueprint copies? I've been getting into exploring over the past several days and the BPCs I've collected are just sitting in my inventory gathering dust. What was the logic behind making those unmarketable again?
    Unless I'm mistaken, BPCs are sold through contracts, rather than the open market.

6. - Top - End - #156

RedWizardGuy

In case nobody's on Jabber, Humble Bundle is having a one-day-sale on the Eve starter pack with a free month of game time, and if you pay more than $20, they'll throw in a PLEX as well. Now is the time to make your alts!
    Last edited by Teln; 2014-05-24 at 02:01 PM.
    If you use a blood-based McGuffin in a campaign with a vampire PC, plan for what will happen when said PC sticks it in his mouth.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Orc in the Playground

In case nobody's on Jabber, Humble Bundle is having a one-day-sale on the Eve starter pack with a free month of game time, and if you pay more than $20, they'll throw in a PLEX as well. Now is the time to make your alts!
    Or to start a new account. Ever wanted to give eve a try? Now's the time.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Firbolg in the Playground

So I tried EVE after getting the humble bundle deal.

... and the fact that you really don't have any CONTROL over your ship is supremely disappointing. Is it always just "click a target, orbit at 1000 metres, shoot" or "click a target, approach, do some other action"? Do you ever actually have the control and feeling of flying a spaceship? While pretty, I haven't had a chance to actually experience the world because I'm just clicking and telling my guy to fly somewhere, not actually FLYING somewhere!
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

You can double click in space to go in a certain direction. It's useful for a bunch of things in both PVP and PVE. Beyond that, you don't have tons of direct control. It's more like being the captain and giving orders to navigation than being the pilot.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

Bear in mind the size of the ships and that space is really really big.

The Rifter, regarded as one of the more agile frigates, is the size of a 747, or about 3 times the length of a F22. You're not going to be dogfighting like an X-wing and if you're after that sort of gameplay, you're better off playing something else.

In game mechanics terms, it's a legacy of the submarine physics emulator that Eve uses, but honestly, being able to direct how your ship flies has only limited applications in game (approaching an enemy ship at a high angular velocity so they can't shoot you for example).

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

Speaking of submarines. Calling Eve a spaceship game is slightly misleading. It's more like a liquid universe space submarine game. I have no idea if they'll ever change it but thems the deal.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Bear in mind the size of the ships and that space is really really big.

The Rifter, regarded as one of the more agile frigates, is the size of a 747, or about 3 times the length of a F22. You're not going to be dogfighting like an X-wing and if you're after that sort of gameplay, you're better off playing something else.
    Or, you know, just wait for Eve Valkyrie to come out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Orc in the Playground

Well yes, or that. But you'd need an Oculus for that, also this is CCP Soon(tm) we're talking about

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Well yes, or that. But you'd need an Oculus for that, also this is CCP Soon(tm) we're talking about
    Indeed. If they ever manage to bring Eve, Dust and Valkyrie together seamlessly, I might actually be interested in playing Eve rather than watching. Playing as a capital ship just doesn't suit my tastes. Dog-fighting and ground-pounding, though? Now we're talking.

As is, it's much more fun to me to just sit back and read about your crazy antics. I especially liked the write up of "The Madness of Montolio" (No offense, people of TEST, I just thought it was entertaining).
    Last edited by Beowulf DW; 2014-05-25 at 06:59 PM.
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

So, I ordered my computer today properly. It should be here by next week, but there may be issues. So, everyone, pray to whatever god you believe in, or to the universe if that's your groove, that there are no more issues and I can join you guys in spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf DW View Post
    I especially liked the write up of "The Madness of Montolio" (No offense, people of TEST, I just thought it was entertaining).

You do know that article is like 99% spin, right?

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

You do know that article is like 99% spin, right?
    Of course. I have yet to see spin-free anything when dealing with Eve. Doesn't mean I didn't find it funny. I'm completely unaffiliated, so it doesn't make any difference to me. Goons just seem to have lots of witty writers. If GITS joins Test, it seems to me that you'll be getting more witty writers of your own.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf DW View Post
    Of course. I have yet to see spin-free anything when dealing with Eve. Doesn't mean I didn't find it funny. I'm completely unaffiliated, so it doesn't make any difference to me. Goons just seem to have lots of witty writers. If GITS joins Test, it seems to me that you'll be getting more witty writers of your own.
    GITS. is in fact in TEST, so that shouldn't be a problem. Note that it isn't necessarily goons though, TMC has a bunch of writers from different alliances (including TEST)

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

GITS. is in fact in TEST, so that shouldn't be a problem. Note that it isn't necessarily goons though, TMC has a bunch of writers from different alliances (including TEST)
    Oh. I thought I'd heard that TMC lost a lot of its Test writers after...well...you know.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hey I've been kind of inactive for a bit. Not had much time to play. But I'm close to finishing up the 30 day skill plan and then just a smattering of requirements for Bravo Incursions ships. I'll play be on more when I can participate more. :)

21. - Top - End - #171
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The logic is, that not all Blueprints are "equal" to each other. The only marketable blueprints are completely untouched BPOs, as they all have identical stats. This is due to the fact that you can research and improve BPOs (and by extension, BPCs made from them). The market would be a tad cluttered if we had a seperate market entry for every possible combination of ME, PL, max runs.

That being said, that is what the contract system is for. The contract system is a bit more appropriate for items like blueprints.

Do you play EVE/are you interested in EVE? We have a corporation for playgrounders, click the banner to find out more.

22. - Top - End - #172

RedWizardGuy

Apparently we matter again:

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Teln; 2014-05-30 at 08:48 PM.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Orc in the Playground

Apparently we matter again:

Spoiler
    Show
    Mittani lied, TEST never died.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Troll in the Playground

No.

Nonono...

Oh this is bad

Hi.

I've dabbled in Eve a few times over the last few years, however I've only ever gone beyond hi-sec once (in a Cormorant) and I got blasted out of a space at a gate camp two jumps in. Well, ok, there was also that one time where I had to cross a single low-sec system with my new mining barge (I'd spent almost all the money I had at that point on buying it) but apart from that no experience in low or null. I was making the jump to battlecruisers when I dropped out last, my primary at that point was (if I remember rightly) a passive tank drake that I pulled the build for straight off of a design thread.

Regardless of skills, what made me drop the game was the fact that it just wasn't fun to fly alone. At all - the two corps I've been in were very small and didn't have more than maybe one person online at the same time as I was. Given that this looks like it would solve that - albeit via a quite possibly very long trip through low/null - I think I could be up for coming back to the game if you'd have me.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    Many thanks to Snowfire for collating all these. He's a madman, but he's a helpful madman.
    Spoiler: Things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    Damn you Snowfire. I cried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon777 View Post
    T_T I swear, you just made me cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Well, here's another for your sig, Snowfire.

<struck dumb>

25. - Top - End - #175
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Snowfire View Post

No.

Nonono...

Oh this is bad

Hi.

I've dabbled in Eve a few times over the last few years, however I've only ever gone beyond hi-sec once (in a Cormorant) and I got blasted out of a space at a gate camp two jumps in. Well, ok, there was also that one time where I had to cross a single low-sec system with my new mining barge (I'd spent almost all the money I had at that point on buying it) but apart from that no experience in low or null. I was making the jump to battlecruisers when I dropped out last, my primary at that point was (if I remember rightly) a passive tank drake that I pulled the build for straight off of a design thread.

Regardless of skills, what made me drop the game was the fact that it just wasn't fun to fly alone. At all - the two corps I've been in were very small and didn't have more than maybe one person online at the same time as I was. Given that this looks like it would solve that - albeit via a quite possibly very long trip through low/null - I think I could be up for coming back to the game if you'd have me.
    Hey Snow, I recall playing LoC with you. Are you coming back soonish? On the note of it being a long trip: to get to our nullsec staging the only thing you need to do is set your medical clone to HED-GP (we have an office there) undock, self-destruct your pod, update your medical clone in HED, undock, take a single jump bridge to V-3, dock up in V-3 and you're there.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Troll in the Playground

Hey Snow, I recall playing LoC with you. Are you coming back soonish? On the note of it being a long trip: to get to our nullsec staging the only thing you need to do is set your medical clone to HED-GP (we have an office there) undock, self-destruct your pod, update your medical clone in HED, undock, take a single jump bridge to V-3, dock up in V-3 and you're there.
    I got stolen away from LoC by Godhood games. Sorry

I'll have to look into haulage and exactly how to get that done - I've never really had to interface with that section of the Eve system as my first experiences were ratting and mining and I've not really expanded a great deal beyond that - to get all my gear through, but I'm sure that there are cheat-sheets for that sort of thing (or I can just beg for help in the logi of setting it all up).

I'm actually currently redownloading the client - that's gonna take a minor age, but I'll just leave my computer on overnight - and then...we'll see. I'll probably kick in a three month sub - I'd go higher, but three months is good as it gives me plenty of time to find my feet in null. I've watched some vids on how Brave Newbies seem to roll and I think that they're definitely the type of folks I could have fun hanging with. Something I've always yearned for but never had the chance to actually be a part of was gang/fleet warfare, if only for the experience.

So with that, I'll probably kick into game sometime this week - if not tomorrow probably Monday/Tuesday night.
    Many thanks to Snowfire for collating all these. He's a madman, but he's a helpful madman.
    Show

<struck dumb>

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

News in the Saga of the Desktop: I blew it, guys. I was re-building it with someone else after it wouldn't start...And they tried to force a plug into a slot next to a switch. Lo and behold, when I try to power it on, there is a pop and a shower of sparks and now it won't start. Happily, it was just that switch. The mobo is still working, and as far as I can tell, no components are damaged, but I still need to take it to a repair shop. And since tomorrow is Sunday, I can only do it Monday at the earliest.

Sorry, guys. I promise, I'm on my way. But hey, every space program in history has had it's share of issues, right?

28. - Top - End - #178
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by firedaemon33 View Post
    And they tried to force a plug into a slot

And I trust your story ends with "and now they are paying for the repairs." When building a computer, forcing anything anywhere is a general sign that you're doing it wrong.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

And application is away. I've dropped roles in my current corp, just have to wait for the letter of acceptance. And then the real fun starts.
    Show

<struck dumb>

30. - Top - End - #180
    Troll in the Playground

I just spent about half a day getting a handle on everything I had left running, packing up everything into boxes and then ferrying it from Kino to Agil... What have I let this game do to me?

Just got a few more runs to get it all in - I don't actually have all that much and I did it in stages so I avoid long-run dangers - and then I just have to wait to get into the corp so I can start ferrying to HED without getting blown up when I drop into null in a Tayra.
    Last edited by Snowfire; 2014-06-01 at 04:58 PM.
    Show

<struck dumb>