1. - Top - End - #181
    Banned

MonkGuy

Default Re: Stepping Stones

You can see the reflection of the hole just fine with out a torch
    Spoiler: undefined
    Show
    Darkvision....
    . The hole goes down at an angle about ten feet, then branches into a 'Y''. There is nothing in the hole that you can see.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ettin in the Playground

Kadmuk

Somewhat relieved, Kadmuk continues onwards to the path. Hopefully, the missing party did not go down the hole but went straight on at the path.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Banned

MonkGuy

The path twists and turns through the mushroom forest. After two turns, it widens a bit and you see two stone statues ahead. One is a human fighter looking type, swinging a sword. The other is a well dressed sage-like type, dressed in robes. But statues are very life like.

Around the two statues are four small dead reptiles. Each has light gray and tan color scales (that match the mushroom forest colors). Each has six legs and a long, huge mouth and large, wide eyes. The reptiles look to be dead not too much longer then a week. They are mostly intact, but are crawling with lots of tiny black bugs. Two look killed by sword strikes, one looks more smashed, and the fourth is burned.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ettin in the Playground

Kadmuk takes a moment to look around the petrified remains of other adventurers. He was sure that this was what he was seeing. The wuastion is, has anyone survived so far?

He looks at the tracks and signs around the struggle.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception and Survival take 10 for 17. Trying to see if anyone continues on. Does he know anything about the bugs? Dungeoneering (1d20+6)[26]

5. - Top - End - #185
    Banned

MonkGuy

There are tracks, leading away from the area, but not down the main bath. They head not on the path, but into the mushroom forest, towards the nearest cavern way. The path looks fairly fresh, not too much more then a week only. The path is full of crushed mushrooms and is easy to follow.

Spoiler: Bugs
    Show

Carrion bugs, common everywhere, they eat dead flesh and such. They don't have any real value or use.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ettin in the Playground

Kadmuk follows the mushroom path towards the cavern wall.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Banned

MonkGuy

The path does lead right to the cavern wall, and runs along it for a couple dozen feet, and then ends at a small cave. The cave is only about two feet high and two feet wide. Blocking the cave entrance is a very life like stone statue of a human male in robes. He hashis legs spread and arms spread touching the sides of the cave.

Inside the cave, just five feet back, is a human female laying in the cave. She is facing the exit, and just fits in the small cave. She looks quite dirty, but does not look hurt. She is not moving much, but you can see she is breathing. She must be unconcious or asleep.

Three more dead gary scaled six legged reptiles lay dead outside the cave. Two have been burned, one smashed. They are party decaded and covered with more bugs.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ettin in the Playground

Kadmuk

Kadmuk very carefully approaches the female. Ugly things, the humans were. But she must be a survivor, of she is alive. He goes closer, to see if she is sleeping or in shock. In full alert, he gently nudges her. His voice, unused for quite some time is almost a croak.

"Miss? I am Kadmuk. Miss? I have water and food. Miss?"

9. - Top - End - #189
    Banned

MonkGuy

She moves a bit at the sound of your voice and whispers in common, "Who, who, is there?''

The sattue of the robbed human blocks the cave entrance from side to side. There is not enough room for her, or anyone, to enter or exit the low cave. She is tapped by the statue.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ettin in the Playground

"Miss? I am Kadmuk. I am looking for the party of the cleric that was looking around these caves. Do not be afraid. I can take you out. Do you want me to push the statue away?"

11. - Top - End - #191
    Banned

MonkGuy

"Who are you? What are you? It's too dark for me to see anything. And if I make a light it will attract the basilisks. You don't sound like a goblin, are you human? Be careful with the statue, it's Milon. He sacrificed himself to save me."

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ettin in the Playground

Kadmuk

Kadmuk almost sighs. Humans. What are they doing in such places? They cannot see and they cannot fight like a dwarf, but still they persevere. Strange.

"I am Kadmuk. I am one of the People, of the Hiethgaraz. A dwarf, as you would say. Milon, was he the cleric that wanted to find the Quills?

Nevermind. We have to take you out. I will push Milon. And then, I will take you out. Basiliks are not to be taken lightly. Did you find what you were looking for?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Strength check (1d20+3)[23]

13. - Top - End - #193
    Banned

MonkGuy

With a good tug Kadmuk moves the statue out of the cave opening, though making a loud scraping noise or two.

The human female fumbles about and clumsy crawls out of the cave, feeling her way along the wall. "We did not find anything except doom and death. " she says sadly.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ettin in the Playground

Kadmuk

...somewhat awkwardly, helps her out. He scans the cave for any signs of movement.

"Is there anyone else beside you alive? If not, we should head back to the surface. Stay close to me"

15. - Top - End - #195
    Banned

MonkGuy

"I'm the only one left. It was horrible. It's a nightmare down here." she says as she touches your should to steady herself. She is quite dirty and messed up, but does not look hurt at all.
    "I'm ready to get out of here,"

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ettin in the Playground

Kadmuk

... the female in tow, starts to go back. This mission proves unsatisfactory. Only one alive left and very few prizes won. Not nothing, but something,

17. - Top - End - #197
    Banned

MonkGuy

"I'm Idonna Bridgewater, servant of Milil. Thank you for your help." She brushes herself off and looks around blindly.

Spot Check!

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ettin in the Playground

Perception (1d20+7)[13]

19. - Top - End - #199
    Banned

MonkGuy

Spoiler: Basalisk
    Show

(1d20+0)[5]

Kadmuk spots a three foot long, six legged lizard creature, sneaking it's way along the edge of the mushroom forest, heading right towards the cave. It is about 40 feet away when you first see it.

Idonna Bridgewater just blindly looks into the darkness.
    Last edited by jedipotter; 2014-08-01 at 02:41 PM.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ettin in the Playground

Kadmuk
    HP 37+9 AC 19

Kadmuk lets out a slow, especially vile curse as he sees the basilisk approach. He turns to Idonna, he gives her a hand axe.

"We have a basilisk coming. Do not be afraid, human lady. We will trap it. Stay here in the cave with eyes closed and make noise. When it approaches I will attack it. Not to fear. We dispatch it and we are going back."

Kadmuk then leaves his polished shields around the cave entrance, so that he can see the basilisk from then. He goes a bit farther and waits for the basilisk to pass him. With a roar, summoning his inner power, he attacks the creature.

Spoiler
    Show
    The idea is to use Idonna as a bait, attack the basilisk from behind and then attack it through the use of the shields as mirrors. I gather that the first attack would not have a problem, but the rest would be following the standard "Averting eyes" rules. Hopefully, he will do enough damage to drop it soon.

Does Kadmuk know about the ' the blood unpetrifies' rule?

Going into a rage and charging.

Atk [roll]1d20+12 [/roll] dmg (1d12+12)[20] rage and charge bonuses included. Let 's see how that goes!

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Mangled the attack roll

Atk (1d20+12)[21]

22. - Top - End - #202
    Banned

MonkGuy

Idonna Bridgewater takes the axe, backs into the cave and starts to make noise. The Basalisk
    is quite attracted to the noise, and rushes right at the cave.

Kadmuk Hits!

Spoiler: Knowledge
    Show

the blood unpetrifies' rule? Is that official?

Maybe a Knowledge Dungeon check?

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Dungeon (1d20+6)[12]

Well, I think it is official, because two different DMs have played it that way. I do not want to look at the MM entry. Just asking. I actually thought that you planned it, so that lead cleric can be unpetrified.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Banned

MonkGuy

Spoiler: Lore
    Show

The blood is a widely known myth. But dwarves know the truth: it's the stomach acid that de-stone flesh.

Your sudden strike sinks deep into the basilisks back, carving a deep wound. The creature lets out a yelp......and turn to rush back towards the mushroom forest......

...leaving it wide open to attack, of course
    Last edited by jedipotter; 2014-08-03 at 05:55 PM.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ettin in the Playground

Kadmuk
    AC19 HP43 Rage 2/13

Seeing his chance, Kadmuk, deep into his rage, bellows "Fire! Fire and Steel!" and again attacks the basilisk. A basilisk tooth would look god on him as a necklace.

Spoiler
    Show
    Atk (1d20+10)[23] dmg (1d12+12)[17]

26. - Top - End - #206
    Banned

MonkGuy

The basilisk slowly moves away, but is not very quick. Your blow cuts deep into the basilisk, right into your last cut. With only a slight squeak it flops to the ground, quite dead.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ettin in the Playground

Kadmuk

Kadmuk, seeing the basilisk fall, stops and looks around for more threats. Gradually, his rage subsides and he takes a moment to get his breath back. He then motions to the woman.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception (1d20+7)[26]
    Also waiting for fatigue to pass.

"You can come out now. The basilisk is dead. Perhaps you don't know but the acids of its stomach are supposed to help unpetrify its victims. Not the silly blood myth the humans and elves say. Hah! Blood...

But come. Help take his fluids. We will try on your friends. I also want a tooth, to remember."

28. - Top - End - #208
    Banned

MonkGuy

Idonna Bridgewater "What happened? Did you kill it? Your not turned to stone, right? Blast this darkness. " She does not see you have, but does hear your voice.

She fumbles her way towards you. "You think it's safe for me to make some light? I can't see anything in the dark."

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ettin in the Playground

Kadmuk

"Yes, yes make your light. And then we will try and make your friends fleshy again."

Kadmuk continues to scan the room for any other movements as he goes around dissecting the basilisk.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Banned

MonkGuy

Idonna Bridgewater says a few quiet words and her left hand blazes with a bright white light. The light fills the area around for about twenty feet or so. It's quite a bright beacon in the dark cave.

"By the Sliver Scroll, the basilisk sure is ugly in the light." She pulls out her knife and helps cut into the hide and remove the organs.