New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: Iajutsu Master [PrC]

What you are talking about is a Battojutsu stance. The art of drawing the blade in such a manner that no second strike should be needed. I would go with the consensus that it would require a concentration or iajutsu skill check would be necessary to pull it off. You should prolly use the rules presented in the iajutsu skill in OA, page 58. It maxes out at +9d6 damage for a 50+ check. You could add another level saying that over 60 forces a save or damage situation. Say DC 10+class level+iajutsu focus skill.

Edit: I meant a death effect on a failed save and the +9d6 on a succesful save.
    Last edited by enderrocksonall; 2007-02-14 at 03:28 AM.
    http://world5.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=59017308

Help out a hungry vamp. Click on this please.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

The point is that he made the clas because he dislikes the OA-style skill Iaijutsu.
    Three are the paths of soul:
    One out - roam across the plain,
    One back - dwell with the tribe and tent,
    One in - turn an enemy's hate.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    They say people do crazy things for love...unfortunately, I'm not in love, and I'm still crazy!

Avatar by CoffeeIncluded. Finally giving credit where due, and it only took me 20 pages of search

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, in essence, while I too like the idea of require some form of concentration some of kind focusing moment, giving a skill check and then tying the power of the strike right to the check, against an opponent who is flat footed, IS very much a rogue thing.

The problem is, the iaijutsu strike, as a result of the game mechanics, and has potential for cheese gallore if you dont' put enough conditions on top.

If Tome of Battle is available to you, I'd say you try going with that instead and see what kind of system you come with through that.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

Don't use ToB, and never will. I consider it overpowered.

My understanding of Quick Draw is that it makes both drawing and sheathing a free action, as they are listed together as part of drawing. Otherwise, I fail to see the point of the feat as drawing fast is really unimpressive if you have to stop and sheathe every weapon (yes you can just drop it, but that is just really awkward flavorwise and forces rules-knowing players to constantly drop weapons at an insignificant, usually meaningless game penalty.) Also, it is largely irrelevant as this class uses Special Sheating, which is seperate from the draw/sheathe action in the SRD.

Also, I plan on no skill checks being part of the class in any serious way, as it is a martial class with very few skill points and making a skill check the core of its operation is frankly a really awkward design.

Furthermore, just making players role a lot of Concentration checks isn't cool, or flavorful, or conducive tactically and strategically interesting encounters, it is just saying "Max out this skill and roll checks a lot for uber-damage." That is what makes an abusive class.

The limitations placed on Unsheathe in the class prevent most cheese: It requires a standard or move action to Specially Sheathe, so you can't full attack unless you only attack every other turn. You can't dual wield. It doesn't let you Unsheathe, drop, Unsheathe, drop with multiple swords. It limits the selection of weapons you can use.

Also, you can only go so far to prevent cheese. Munchkins will find and abuse classes, but good players will see this class for what it is, a chance to use a cool fighting style in game terms when you otherwise couldn't.
    Gnoll Paladin with Zanbatou Avatar by Oregano.

Homebrews:

Quote Originally Posted by ExHunterEmerald
    Incidentally, Armadillo, I'd suggest you were hit by a spark of inspiration, but that would knock your armor off.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ArmorArmadillo View Post
    My understanding of Quick Draw is that it makes both drawing and sheathing a free action, as they are listed together as part of drawing.
    Nope, Quick Draw only allows you to draw a weapon faster. It doesn't modify sheathing time at all. Here is the text for reference:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD;
    Quick Draw [General]
    Prerequisite

Base attack bonus +1.
    Benefit

You can draw a weapon as a free action instead of as a move action. You can draw a hidden weapon (see the Sleight of Hand skill) as a move action.

A character who has selected this feat may throw weapons at his full normal rate of attacks (much like a character with a bow).
    Normal

Without this feat, you may draw a weapon as a move action, or (if your base attack bonus is +1 or higher) as a free action as part of movement. Without this feat, you can draw a hidden weapon as a standard action.
    Special

A fighter may select Quick Draw as one of his fighter bonus feats.
    Notice it specifically mentions draw and never mentions sheathing a weapon.

Otherwise, I fail to see the point of the feat as drawing fast is really unimpressive if you have to stop and sheathe every weapon (yes you can just drop it, but that is just really awkward flavorwise and forces rules-knowing players to constantly drop weapons at an insignificant, usually meaningless game penalty.)
    Well, it's unimpressive until you need a weapon quickly and still want to make a full attack...then it's pretty nice. :) As for dropping vs sheathing, there's a pretty significant difference. Sheathing a weapon as a move action provoking an AoO maintains some verisimilitude. Dropping a weapon instead can be disadvantageous depending on terrain, whether you need the weapon again, and whether or not you may need to run.

Also, it is largely irrelevant as this class uses Special Sheating, which is seperate from the draw/sheathe action in the SRD.
    Have you considered making it a stance instead of "Special Sheathing"?

Also, I plan on no skill checks being part of the class in any serious way, as it is a martial class with very few skill points and making a skill check the core of its operation is frankly a really awkward design.

Furthermore, just making players role a lot of Concentration checks isn't cool, or flavorful, or conducive tactically and strategically interesting encounters, it is just saying "Max out this skill and roll checks a lot for uber-damage." That is what makes an abusive class.
    I agree with you on skill checks...all requiring a skill does is remove one skill point from the class. I'd recommend using either a stance mechanic or a focus mechanic. For comparison, there are other stances in the ToB and Focus is used in the psionic material and in the Combat Form feats in PHB2.

The limitations placed on Unsheathe in the class prevent most cheese: It requires a standard or move action to Specially Sheathe, so you can't full attack unless you only attack every other turn. You can't dual wield. It doesn't let you Unsheathe, drop, Unsheathe, drop with multiple swords. It limits the selection of weapons you can use.
    I don't think what you've written up is overpowered at all and the only potentially abusable ability I've noticed is the Sprinting Slice ability. I'm leery of potential synergies with other abilities such as Lion's Charge, Power Lunge, Battle Jump, Spirited Charge...etc. I'd really rather see it do extra damage (maybe an automatic critical threat?), making it a touch attack is easily abusable.

Also, you can only go so far to prevent cheese. Munchkins will find and abuse classes, but good players will see this class for what it is, a chance to use a cool fighting style in game terms when you otherwise couldn't.
    True, but if you see potential issues it's best to fix them up front. No need to leave easily fixable things in place.

Overall the class has a lot of potential. My biggest objection is really to the flavor...sheathing and redrawing a weapon during a fight is a tad silly. It kills verisimilitude for me.
    Last edited by Raum; 2007-02-14 at 08:34 PM.
    -
    I laugh at myself first, before anyone else can.
    -- Paraphrased from Elsa Maxwell
    -
    The more labels you have for yourself, the dumber they make you.
    -- Paul Graham in Keep Your Identity Small

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

how about a focus mechanic, where in order to do this, you have focus as a move equivalent action. However, once you've maintained focus, you can hold that focus until you've unleashed the attack. However, if you perform certain actions (say, attack, draw your weapon, cast a spell, etc), or say, get hit while the focus is held, you lose your focus and the iaijutsu strike doesn't work.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground

I always thought the main point of quick draw was for classes like ranger or rogue that had to switch back and forth between different weapons (ranged and melee) frequently, in which case what's the point if you have to drop each weapon after you draw it or take a move action...whatever, I'll house rule it if I ever DM.

I'm not making it a Stance, or a Combat Form, or any ridiculous variant rule for combat classes. The way I see it, it works perfectly fine as a Elliott states it (a "Focus") and I'm relatively sure that's how it works as written.

I agree that Sprinting Slice is a very powerful ability that interacts powerfully with certain abilities, but I think that is something that I can live with. It's a level 9 prestige class ability, it has a little license to be powerful. If a player maximizes his build to do a lot of damage on charge attacks by level 14, I hardly think it unbalances the game.
    Last edited by ArmorArmadillo; 2007-02-14 at 11:26 PM.
    Gnoll Paladin with Zanbatou Avatar by Oregano.

Homebrews:

Quote Originally Posted by ExHunterEmerald
    Incidentally, Armadillo, I'd suggest you were hit by a spark of inspiration, but that would knock your armor off.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not making it a Stance, or a Combat Form, or any ridiculous variant rule for combat classes. The way I see it, it works perfectly fine as a Elliott states it (a "Focus") and I'm relatively sure that's how it works as written.
    Hehe, I do love irony. :)

I agree that Sprinting Slice is a very powerful ability that interacts powerfully with certain abilities, but I think that is something that I can live with. It's a level 9 prestige class ability, it has a little license to be powerful. If a player maximizes his build to do a lot of damage on charge attacks by level 14, I hardly think it unbalances the game.
    That's cool. As I said earlier, I don't think the ability itself is overpowered, it merely has potential for synergies.

I would recommend adding a few less offensive combat abilities to some of the dead levels. Given the flavor, Uncanny Dodge and possibly Improved Uncanny Dodge might be appropriate. Possibly an additional initiative bonus or even some non-combat related abilities.
    -
    I laugh at myself first, before anyone else can.
    -- Paraphrased from Elsa Maxwell
    -
    The more labels you have for yourself, the dumber they make you.
    -- Paul Graham in Keep Your Identity Small