New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Shadowflux Risen

Darkstrider
    [ Ini: 2 / AC: 14 (When I am standing again) / HP: 61/61 / Position: We'll see about that ]

The ship tilts in a more than unfortunate way for Gauran, sending him sprawling out of Kahlynn's sight, the only reminiscence of him being his curses fading into the mist...

I vow hereby quite in-solemnly that the first of these wretched creatures that falls into my hands will regret the day its putrid hag of a mother spawned it upon this world!!!

Gathering his limbs together he stands again, making a very careful move towards the stern again.

Spoiler
    Show

Round 3:

I am assuming here that my move action to stand up is the one from last round, keeping the double fall only for flavour. If not just cancel my second move action in this round.

I would take a move action to move from my starting point at M4 to O4, which requires no balance check because 10 feet is a quarter of my speed.

There is a rowing boat in the plan there, but as Chicken wrote to me that I ended up against the railing I assume here that I am neither in the boat nor do I need to pass through it, but can move along its side. Again, if that is not the case, adjust please.

I would then take a second move action to move another 10 feet without a balance check with the intention to end up in Q4, however, if the stairs cost another square of movement I'll end up in P4 then.
    The Shadows are Your Friends - Well, actually they are Mine

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

Shael Greyswan
    (Round 3, Init: 22 | AC: 14 | HP: 26/26 (Healthy) | Position: On the Move)

Shut up!

Swinging around, he shifts his grip, grasping the edge of the deck, relying on the fog to shield his hands from any eyes as he passes, and shimmies sideways along the side of the boat, eyes straining for a pair of legs on his level.

Spoiler
    Show
    DMs
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not sure how this goes mechanically. He's changed his climbing to enable him to get a grip on the edge of the boat or the poles in the railing, if there are any, to give him added support, and to allow him to look on board as he moves past. I'm assuming this will slow him down some, as he's climbing in a less efficient manner, but it should give him better purchase and a chance to notice skum as he passes them. He also moves with the slope of the deck as it angles up to the poop deck in back, if that takes any distance off.

At any rate, he moves as far as he can, whether its 5 feet or 20 feet, unless he sees a skum. If he sees one within his first move action, however long that is, he'll swing up on deck (hopefully a move action). If he doesn't see one, he continue on towards the stern at whatever rate he can, and, if he sees a skum, stops and waits until he can board.

Sorry... that's kind of complicated. Basically: starting on the side of the boat at K-10, he moves as far as he can along the side of the boat, and is climbing now in whatever way can allow him better purchase (maybe a reflex save if he falls) and allows him to look up onto the boat. He will continue moving until he can no longer move, or until he sees a skum on the deck above, at which point he will stop and swing aboard, if he has the movement.

Unless he can use his eldritch blast while climbing...

Last edited by Annarrkkii; 2007-02-23 at 10:09 AM.
    Good grammar is hot.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Halfling in the Playground

Sparky
    ( Init: 9 | AC: 22 | HP: 30/30 (Good) | Position: Starboard Rail )

Sparky looks worriedly between the receding bulk of Gauran and the reassuring nearness of Kahlynn, then he steps up on his toes to look over the rail and down into the foggy sea. But if I go to the stern, that leaves Kahlynn all alone up here....and what if the real attack is from up here?

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Still not at all sure what I can see or hear, so I'd like to make active Spot and Listen rolls at this point, and try to stab something fishy if the opportunity approaches.
    If at first you don't succeed - try new dice!

4. - Top - End - #124

Kahlynn
    Round 3
    (Init:18 l AC 16 l HP 44/44 Position: nearly amidships)

Kahlynn stays crouched on the deck, watching the quickly disappearing form of Darkstrider. Slowly and carefully. A dead healer does no one any good...
    She puts a hand on Sparky's shoulder, head tilted, listening intently. Her whisper is as quiet as she can make it and still let breath past her lips.
    "Can you tell what's going on?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Once again active Listen, please, specifically focusing on wet fishy sounds
    Avatar by Cult of the Raven! Much obliged!

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Adur

Spoiler
    Show

[size=1](Init: 14 | AC: 18 | HP: 33/41 Position: O-6
    Adur frowns as he warily backs further into the mist, hoping to evade his assailant. He's too close. The others can't see what's happening in this fog, can they? And I cannot tell friend from foe. I could cast a spell to wash away the fog, but not with that creature so near... His decision made, Adur spreads his arms, and the cloak turns into wings as he takes the form of a great albatross, beating up and away from the creature. He takes his bearings in the fog, winging for what he hopes is a safe haven: the crow's nest.

(Shapechanging into bird form. +2 Str, +2 Reflex, AC 14, 40' fly speed. Using the withdraw action and moving to the crow's nest; blindsense and a 40' fly speed ought to cover that.)
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

6. - Top - End - #126

Shael
    Spoiler
    Show
    Though you remain fairly confident in your invocation's ability to keep your feet and hands reasonably secure, you make your way aft while holding onto the railing with your left hand...just in case. A good thing, perhaps, as within no more than six feet, or so, something appears from the mists before you, entirely unexpectedly despite your attempted vigilance. A face slashed with a wide-open betracian mouth, spans of yellowish-green scales interlaced with cord-like sinews and wide, dead-black eyes flashes from the mists before you. Ragged ridges that must pass for teeth, tear into your chest as you gasp reflexively at the sudden onslaught. Pain whips through your body, your bracing hand almost releasing its hold.

Although the creature's fishlike face has already mostly receded into the mists, you note that its position relative to you indicates that you must have caught it either just about to climb over the rail and onto the deck, or in the process of dropping overboard. You can see the misty shadow of one arm reaching upwards to what must be the same rail you cling to; the rest of its form hanging downward. It appears to be about your size.

(This is a pseudo-surprise situation which allowed the Skum a free attack (won an opposed roll). You may continue with the remainder of your first move action, if you wish. You have 15' left, as you've only moved 5'. However, a non-withdrawal move will incur an AoO, as usual. Alternately, you may attack it first, with your higher init. Or...?)

Lock
    Spoiler
    Show
    (bc forgot to tell you about those immediately around you. Now that you're out of the net, you would have seen and recognized them prior to your first action.)

Yorkin appears to have the plan in hand and nods for you to lead the way. In front of you stands Adur, apparently in the planning stages of some unknown maneuver, and flinching from something farther aft and out of sight. It appears he may be being attacked by something, though you don't actually see anything doing so at the moment. Adur appears not to notice you as he concentrates, his arms rising up and out to each side.

You see to your left, the lower steps of the starboard poop deck stairs. You can see the small figure of Jorme standing upon them, hovering over the prone form of the fish-man you put to sleep with your spell. It requires little deduction to see that Jorme has finished the job you started. To your right is the helm, with Captain Merev still in place, and squinting. Whether he is injured or concentrating on feeling the keel through the wheel's spokes, you can't determine.

(Your action ends here for the moment. You've expended no part of your round to determine this info. How would you like to modify your plans?)

Kahlynn
    Spoiler
    Show
    You remain down on one knee, clutching your holy symbol as if squeezing it would milk its source of protection. Your ears are open to the sounds around you, and your eyes peer into the hazy white gloom of fog. The sounds of combat continue astern, both directly and farther to port, and amidst it, you hear the sound of Lock and Yorkin just aft of you, Yorkin still visible nearby. Their words are indistinct, both muffled by the thick fog and mangled by the din of combat.

Sparky seems to have joined in your quest to hear and see whatever could be heard or seen in the general vicinity. He seems to be looking at, or perhaps, through you as he concentrates.

(Sparky: K-05)

Fryst
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Rnd2)

You see Salt make a deft maneuver beside you, leaping to the edge of the poop deck stairs and pushing himself back and up to the higher deck (to P-08), a manever that would likely find most others on their backs. As your rage wells, you see the rather vague form of Salt's arm thrusting a sword at the equally vague form of what you now know to be a Skum netter, at least according to the crew's parlance. Salt's actual strike is lost in the mist, but the gurgling yell from the Skum is clue enough that the thrust hit home. Well, that and the spray of fetid goop that spurts across your face and chest.

This ignominy seems to fire your rage even faster and you're sent into a whirling, adrenaline-charged frenzy up a few steps toward the already injured fish-man. With greatclub swinging wildly, you attempt to strike, but both times, your target is suddenly lost in the doubly-misty overlay of spirit-world upon fog. The Skum seems to reflect your anger and rather than retaliate against Salt who's opened a nice hole in his chest, he chooses to attack you with a bite and two flailing claws, one of which catches you across the chest, the others being dodged as you dance across the stairs. (You suffer 4HP damage.)

(You remain at O-09, but near the top of the steps.)

(Rnd3)

You continue your assault upon the now double-teamed Skum, first with an angled swipe at the thing's scaled upper thigh, connecting with a sharp sound like that of chainmail dropping to grass. The thing yells in pain, its watery voice issuing from a head now tilted up in reflexive response to the pain. Though it is in dire shape, it isn't yet dead, and you're rage is intent on seeing that situation rectified. You push a foot against a step, turning your angle of attack completely around, and bringing your greatclub across and directly toward the fish-man's upper thigh, again, but this time from the direct opposite side. The sensation you receive through the solid wooden body of your club might sicken some of lesser fortitude. The creature screams from the excruciating pain of having its leg nearly severed as result or your front and back assault to the same point, the bony cartilage within crunching loudly, greenish, ichor-like blood squirting copiously to the left, right, and back toward you in a warm spray.

Your scaly enemy drops like a stone, sliding a bit down the stairs. You glance briefly at its now lifeless eyes, noting subconsciously through your rage, that those eyes look exactly the same dead as they did alive.

(Details: Before you killed the Skum, you noticed Salt appeared to be maneuvering away from both the one you killed and, apparently, also from an attacker farther aft of him. In addition, he appeared to have opted to attack the unseen foe with his rapier, rather than the one you subsequently downed.)

Sparky
    Spoiler
    Show
    You remain where you are, listening intently, eyes kept peeled for any sign of motion or shadowy forms within the body of fog that envelops you. The sounds of battle are plain to hear aft as well as aft and to port. The voices of Lock and Yorkin, as well, are just audible, but their words are lost in the muffled din. You still see Kahlynn on one knee nearby, appearing to be doing as you are: listening; watching. When her gaze crosses your position, she appears to take no notice of you, as if looking through you in her state of concentration.

(Kahlynn: L-06)

Nivlan
    Spoiler
    Show
    Behind you, you hear Gigson rattling around in the bow of the port lifeboat, but your attention is more strongly drawn elsewhere.

Above you, near the forward edge of the slightly overhanging poop deck, you see Salt engaged, at least partly, in combat with one of the invaders farther to port, though his maneuverings seem to indicate concern for more than just the one. Likewise, you see Fryst's small form and big wooden club cutting through the fog in a whirling frenzy as he assaults the same creature. With two sickening thunking sounds each followed by a terrible cry of pain from the scaled victim, Fryst's pounding greatclub having nearly severed the thing's leg, it drops quickly, settling across the upper poop deck steps.

Assuming the thing is dead, and of no direct threat to you, you turn to note Captain Merev's already dark jacket, darkened even more around one shoulder. You step closer and begin forming the conduit of power leading from your own inner soul to the Captain's painful wound. Muttered words issue from your mouth as you concentrate, Merev seemingly almost oblivious as he squints into the fog, apparently due to the pain. But even as you finish, his squint continues, and you realize he is probably concentrating on the feel of the wheel's spokes in his hands. He was worried enough about the fog, and no doubt worried further by the prospect of grounding with hostile boarders making matters worse.

At the conclusion of your channeling effort, you gain the sense that the wound the Captain had suffered is now a memory. At least physically.

Gauran
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Your earlier round resolution has changed dramatically given other late incoming info, so everything below is new.)

You attempt to squeeze your bulk along the rail, almost hanging your rear over it. The sound of Jorme's high-pitched voice calls out from nearby, "Gods kill this damn fog!" This is quickly followed by the sound one makes when slipping but just barely managing to keep from falling. You can see what Jorme has found so troublesome: the fog seems inordinately thick to port where you remember the starboard poop deck stairs should be. You know Jorme struggles on those stairs, so you unconsciously filter his sounds away, but your ears also just pick up a gurgling sound from somewhere farther aft.

Despite the strange situation, the intent to leap over both Jorme and the stairs to a, hopefully, more effective position, remains your focus.

Crouching, the muscles of your legs bunching tightly, you whip your arms down then up as you release the coiled tension...you rise into the fog with a loud grunt. All you can see as you move through the cool, moist air, is the faint edge of the poop deck somewhat below you, and the misty form of a fish-man at the edge of the top stairs. The thing was most likely engaging Jorme on the stairs below, but with the blinding fog now in place there, it's apparently been on its guard and watching closely for movement in the fog. It sees you, now, rather than the halfling and extends its neck forward with a gaping mouth headed for your shoulder! It's ridgelike teeth don't find full purchase in your flesh, but find enough to leave you with a painful wound.

Your seemingly slow-motion flight through the fog continues. At its zenith, you see another fish-man--this time with a bluish cast to its scales, different from the yellowish-green of the other--which appears to be on the poop deck, just above the spot where you intend to land. Also unlike the first, this one bears a shield of overlapping tiles of some sort, and a barb-headed spear. At first, it appears the otherwise annoying fog has benefitted you more than it, but at the very last instant it turns its head just enough to notice you, its reflexes instinctively thrusting the spear at you before you can begin your downward arc. Luck is with you this time, as the fish-man's attempt to skewer that same shoulder now already bleeding, fails, and the spear's tip goes wide. A gurgling moan is released, no doubt in frustration.

This unexpected distraction is enough, by itself, to make your landing more precarious than normal, but that turns out to be only one factor involved.

In the midst of your downward arc, everything goes a greyish white. The fog has suddenly become so thick you can no longer see anything but its enveloping blandness. Your instincts as an experienced cliff-leaper are taxed to their limits, but the sudden blinding fog, the slippery deck, the attacks, the pain in your shoulder...it all takes its toll, ultimately causing you come down hard, your heels too far forward. You crash awkwardly to the deck, sliding footlong to port. A voice rings out almost in your ear, though nothing intelligible: a startled expression of surprise. A half-second later, you feel yourself crashing into something that, in turn, topples over onto you. Whatever it is, it is showering you with expletives too fast and grumbling to be understood. Somehow, the obscuring fog you'd passed through a mere second before seems to have already diminished to it's usual self, and within that limited visibility you see that the object riding your gut, is a very disgruntled Captain Merev. Your right foot seems to have hit the helm post, and that is all that's likely kept your bulk from continuing portward.

(The bite inflicted 8HP damage.)
    (You are currently prone in O-07 with Captain Merek on your stomach.)

Mechanics involved
    Spoiler
    Show

Step 1: You jump. No rolls involved.
    Step 2: You pass one fish-man standing at the top of the stairs. DC10 vs his "awareness" (avg of listen/spot) to see you in time to react with an AoO as you glide by. It sees you very easily (net 20 on roll).
    Step 3: Attack/damage resolution. The odd circumstances would penalize both of you (time frame, body in motion, for it; inability to doge effectively for you), however, I'll keep it simple and have them cancel each other. So, you remain at AC14. Bite: 1d20+X=21, hit; 20% concealment: 1d100=41 - ok; dmg: XdX+X=8
    Step 4: You pass fish-man #2 (P-06). DC10 vs his "awareness" just as before: 1d20+X=11--just sees you in time to strike. 1d20+X=12 vs AC14 = miss!
    Step 5: Landing. Normally, you would land fine on a successful Jump, however, we have balance check issues involved. In this case, I'm going to assess a fairly conservative -4 to your balance check for obvious reasons (a 350+lb critter dropping at an angle from overhead onto a slippery surface it can't see until it hits it). So, a balance check is needed to avoid slipping and possibly sliding somewhere. I'll set this at DC15 flat (this is a pretty tricky maneuver, as far as I'm concerned; no other modifiers since you're not actually trying to move anywhere along the deck). Your balance starts at +2 in this case with a -4 circumstance modifier, so a -2 net: 1d20-2=5 vs DC15 - failed; slip check on 1d4, 1-2 = fall in same square, 3=slide south, 4=slide/roll southwest onto cargo hold door: 3 = slid into Capt Merev's square. Merev now needs a check to avoid being knocked over; reflex-4: 1d20+4=9 - failed! You successfully jumped, slid into and knocked down Merev.

((Note for future reference: the +10 move you get as a barbarian has no bearing on your standing Jump check, though it will if you actually move 40' to make a jump (+4 bonus for the extra 10' move rate). This is because your standing jump ability is based on your race, not your class.))
    Last edited by Velvet Elvis; 2007-02-28 at 01:02 AM.

7. - Top - End - #127

Shael
    (Round 3, Init: 22 | AC: 14 | HP: 26/26 (Healthy) | Position: On the Move)

Ahrg... no... NO! The pain lances through his limbs, and Marix surges through his mind, taking action. The power holding him to the rail increases to a flood, and a snarl twists his lips, his grip becoming whiteknuckled on the rail. He swings back to face his foe...

Spoiler
    Show
    DMs!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Alright. I'm guessing that, what with the pain and everything, that I was hit for. For how much damage? That might affect my action, but I doubt it. I'm going to risk attacking it. Its hurt already, and I'm reasonably sure that it I am already. This is not cool. Not how I wanted this to work out. I'm not going to risk the possibility of staying within its reach and trying to cast defensively, what with concealment and everything, so I'm going to swing up over the rail as a withdraw action away from it. Is this still part of my initial, last-turn move? If so, do I then get to take my regular turn, and perhaps attack it?
    Last edited by Annarrkkii; 2007-02-26 at 10:59 AM.
    Good grammar is hot.

8. - Top - End - #128

Shael
    Spoiler
    Show
    DM<->PC crunch
    Spoiler
    Show
    Alright. I'm guessing that, what with the pain and everything, that I was hit for. For how much damage?
    Whoops, forgot to mention that: 6HP.

I'm going to risk attacking it. Its hurt already, and I'm reasonably sure that it I am already. This is not cool. Not how I wanted this to work out. I'm not going to risk the possibility of staying within its reach and trying to cast defensively, what with concealment and everything, so I'm going to swing up over the rail as a withdraw action away from it. Is this still part of my initial, last-turn move? If so, do I then get to take my regular turn, and perhaps attack it?
    Withdrawing is normally a full-round action, but given the conditions and your very limited move so far, I'm reducing it to a standard action.

But you will lose the remainder of your first move action to begin the standard action. However, you may move over the rail and onto the deck as part of your withdrawal maneuver (i.e. count it as a 5' move), which will allow you a 40' max move distance.

Your spiderclimb will grant you +10 to your balance checks once on deck, as discussed earlier, but a natural 1 will still stall you--though not cause you to actually slip or fall--somewhere along your movement path. I'll roll any needed balance and peripheral checks. Just tell me where you wish to move from your current position at L-10 (and your path to get there).

9. - Top - End - #129

Everyone aboard hears two gurgling cries of pain cut through the fog in rapid succession. There's no doubt something's been seriously injured or killed at or near the port poop deck stairs.

10. - Top - End - #130

Shael Greyswan
    (Round 3, Init: 22 | AC: 14 | HP: 20/26 (Scathed) | Position: On the Move)

Thinking better of an attack, Shael shifts his grip on the railing and swings smoothly over the rail, planting his feet. And turning to face downward. His fist draws back, the power surging along his limbs, as soundless, heatless green bolts of energy dancing along his outstretched arm, balling around his clenched fist.

Spoiler
    Show
    DMs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Grahk. Okay. If I interpret this right, my round 3 move was to swing over five feet and get attacked. Now, my round 4 action is to swing over the railing and launch a sickening blast, (DC 15) at the skum, even though that results in an attack of opportunity, and even though doing so entails some concealment (not sure how much). I'm off to roll if you confirm this.
    Last edited by Annarrkkii; 2007-02-27 at 06:06 PM.
    Good grammar is hot.

11. - Top - End - #131

Nivlan Kirk
    (Round 4, Init: 3 | AC: 13 | HP: 39/39 (Feelin' Groovy) | Position: O-8)

"If that thing's not still around, Captain, I'm headed up to see if anyone else is hurt."

Nivlan turns toward the poop deck, calling, "DOES ANYONE NEED HEALING?"

OOC, Round 4:
    Spoiler
    Show
    DMs only
    Spoiler
    Show
    OOF! Nivlan's goal is to gain the top of the stairs at P9, but apparently he's not paying attention to his feet (again). He gets knocked down but he gets up again (thumping a tub the entire time). You're never gonna keep him down.
    Last edited by PolkaBear; 2007-02-26 at 09:02 PM.
    "So it works in practice. Who cares? Does it work in theory?"
    Spoiler
    Show

PolkaBear by Ceika | Eckher by Wayril
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current Characters: Clunch Lian
    PolkaBear avatar courtesy of Ceika

12. - Top - End - #132

Eleberry Lockwidge

Spoiler
    Show
    DM Info - 3rd round action.

Spoiler
    Show
    I suppose Jorme could join us if he wants, but my mind thinks at least one NPC would probably stay near the steering captain? Eh. I'm still making my illusory concealment and moving towards the stern with it and stopping before I walk up to a beastie. I'm assuming that the supposed fish man further aft that may be attacking Adur ought to be the first one I encounter. I'll keep my eyes peeled for him and move even more in his direction heading back if it's not the straight route I'd already had planned. Can't engage something I can't see.
    Last edited by AmoDman; 2007-02-28 at 09:24 PM.
    Shalom

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #133

Shael
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quickly calculating your options, you decide to make use of the mists that have otherwise been your bane. As the fish-face recedes you, likewise, pull back a bit and roll yourself over the railing onto the deck. Despite the slick surfaces involved and the various coils, wooden boxes and gaffs laying about near the rowboat, your purchase is solid and you pull to a half-crouch, arm raised in anticipation. The eldritch energy surges to your fist, warping in strange glowing bands that faintly illuminates the fog with an unearthly greenish light.

(I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that you're using the withdraw action which I allowed as a standard move, rather than just backing off, so no AoO from fish-boy. You are now at L-09.)

Lock
    Spoiler
    Show
    Perservering with your plan, you decide to slip past Adur and continue aft, only to find yourself faced with the vague outline of a closed door. Memory serves well enough to remind you that this is the door that leads into the galley which lies directly below the poop deck, whose overhanging edge, as you crane your neck up to see...well, partly see...floats several feet above you.

(You face starboard at this point.)

In that moment, you see Jorme suddenly falter in his dodging maneuvers, nearly falling to the stairs. He exclaims, "Gods kill this damn fog!" The obvious cause of his new distress is your illusion which has draped over him and the stairs, leaving him effectively blinded within the nearly opaque figment.

As you consider what to do, Adur, who had been almost motionless beside you, though with his arms raised to the sides, suddenly ceases to exist. In his place, a grey and white bird that, with some difficulty, manages to launch itself into the air on broad wings. It quickly disappears into the mists above, just barely managing to avoid the rigging which, fortunately, had been reefed before entering the fogbank. Unlike Jorme, the bird didn't appear to be bothered by the sudden change in the fog.

Behind you, Yorkin comments in a surprised voice, "Well, I'm goin't'be havin' some extra grog when I git back t'land!"

An idea forms in your mind, and you glance about to remind yourself of your position and the obstacles that might be in play, but as you do, a loud grunt emanates from the fog somewhere before you. Within a mere second, you hear the sounds of gurgling grunts from ahead and to your right, above, on the poop deck, and simultaneously the huge form of Gauran flying through the fog--straight down at you. Your quick reflexes just manage to leave you unflattened as he lands. You release an unintelligible exclamation of surprise, as the goliath's huge body soundly hits the deck, his feet sliding from beneath him. Momentum carries him portward, and results in Captain Merev toppling to land atop Gauran. Almost instnantaneously, Merev releases a string of gruff expletives from a mouth now merely inches from Gauran's chin.

(I had to redo some of your earlier resolution. This will constitute the end of your round.)
    (You currently see Jorme on the stairs at O-05, a yellowish-green fishman--occasionally--as it bobs in the mist at P-05, Gauran on his back in O-07 with Merev on his gut.)

Adur
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your concentration manifests in a change of form to that of something resembling an albatross. You briefly feel the sensation of webbing growing between your toes as your form shifts your point of view downward three feet. The rest you've felt many times before: the oddness of your arms bending and flushing to your sides, the angle of your knees reversing, your face warping to that of a strong bill, and your vision--what there is of it in this fog--splitting and losing the more familiar comfort of binocularity.

As the shifting completes, you push yourself into the air with a mental grunt of effort, extending huge wings that catch the thick fog and turn it to your advantage. Though your earlier spell grants you the sense to see your shipmates and some that you're sure are definitely not, you find yourself essentially maneuvering based on the flashes of objects below you.

Immediately, you dodge around Yorkin, who you found was standing right behind you as you leapt into the air. He was apparently staring at you as you transformed and was in the midst of uttering some words when you grazed the top of his head with your feet just before tucking them into their flight position. Angling toward what you believe to be due forward to the bow, you fly directly toward two mental signatures, rising slightly to avoid them both. As you glide by, you see that the first is Kahlynn crouched to the deck, and the other Sparky, off a bit to starboard. Sparky watches as you fly by, with a look of wonder in his eyes--not unusual for him, of course. Kahlynn seems not to notice you.

You veer a bit to port, and achieve your desired position just at the bow. You backstroke to land upon a crossbeam set between the two curved sections of gunwale that form the pointed prow. From here, you see nothing but the fog, but in your mind, you can still make out a number of forms clustering near the rise of the poopdeck. Perhaps to your relief, you detect nothing out and below in the water other than small signatures whose motion seems to support the idea that they are most likely just indigenous fish, probably drawn to the unusual presence of the ship's keel.

(You are now at G-7.)

Kahlynn
    Spoiler
    Show
    From behind, you suddenly hear the distinct sound of broad wings flapping, but before you can turn your head, the sound passes just above you, continuing quickly out of sight toward the bow. You catch enough of a glimpse to determine that it is a large bird of a type that seems consistent with those typically found near sandy shores or rocky outcroppings at the edges of islands.

Sparky
    Spoiler
    Show
    From somewhere aft, you suddenly hear the distinct sound of broad wings flapping. Turning to look, you see a large grey and white bird suddenly appear, bank up a bit to avoid Kahlynn's crouched form, and continue on and out of sight toward the bow. As it passes by, you get the distinct sensation that the one black eye that was angled toward you was quite well aware of your presence. You've seen such birds before, and are fairly confident that it is a typical sort, at least in form, that tends to inhabit the sandy shores of most islands, as well as the rocky outcroppings that form the outer edges of many others.
    Last edited by Velvet Elvis; 2007-02-28 at 01:26 AM.

14. - Top - End - #134

Sparky
    ( Init: 9 | AC: 22 | HP: 30/30 (Good) | Position: Starboard Rail )

Sparky looks from Kahlynn to the stern of the ship, concern crinkling his brow. "Miss Kahlynn, I think we should go back there. If the Fish-Men are going to attack the bow, we can always run back up here I suppose. Are you coming back with the rest of the party? You can follow me if you're not sure where to go."

Sparky heads back alongside the starboard rail, out to the poop deck where the combat seems to be most intense. If you see fishy scales, Sparky, just stab them in the back. Twice. Whew! First combat, first combat...

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Making a move along the starboard rail until I can close into combat (either 20' to the poop deck stairs or 30' to the actual poop itself). Yes, my Speed is 30' (Quick Trait). Balance and extra d8 & d20 to follow. If I need to make attacks, please let me know and I'll amend my post and place the rolls in the dice thread.
    If at first you don't succeed - try new dice!

15. - Top - End - #135

Kahlynn
    (Init:18 l AC 16 l HP 44/44 Position: nearly amidships)

Kahlynn nods, forcing herself to her feet, her voice holding more than a little of a quaver. "Of course, we'll ..."

She glances up, eyes as wide as can be. "Yes, they may need us there ..."

She follows after the halfling, rehearsing prayers for healing in her mind.

Spoiler
    Show
    movement towards the fighting. I can't believe I'm moving towards the fighting

16. - Top - End - #136

Eleberry Lockwidge

Spoiler
    Show
    DMs' info, 3rd round

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going to try and not give both me and Yorkin away as of yet but still help Jorme out. Nodding in Jorme's direction for Yorkin's benefit I'll head up the stairs and let my illusory fog just consumer Jorme (I do believe I left 5ft in front of me). That at least will have the possiblity of confusing the fish man, and maybe give Yorkin the chance to do something (or the both of us next round).

p.s. I'm assuming coordinates are to follow? ;)
    Last edited by AmoDman; 2007-02-28 at 09:24 PM.
    Shalom

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Adur

Spoiler
    Show
    The bird lifts its wings as it hops down to the deck; as it does, its form changes, outstretched wings melting back into outstretched arms and feet touching the deck. Adur lowers his arms, glad that there are no enemies here. He begins to speak once more, calling up a rain that will hopefully sweep the fog away.

((Casting Cloudburst, SC p. 49, targeted to the bow. The spell has a full-round casting time, so nothing will happen until the next round. Hopefully, the resulting rain will clear away the fog, though visibility still won't be perfect. If there are issues with the spell working like that, I'll rework my action.))
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

18. - Top - End - #138

Nivlan (addenda to your earlier round resolution)
    Spoiler
    Show
    But, then there's the saying about best laid plans. Just as you conclude your words to Merev and utter a yelling offer of aid into the foggy whiteness, a vague, large form slides just into visiblity on the starboard side of the helm. It barrels quickly along the deck, impacting the helm with one bare foot, twisting to the side, and knocking Merev from his feet, to land across the thing's gut.

A blink or two later, you realize that the huge form is, of all things, Gauran.
    Last edited by Velvet Elvis; 2007-02-28 at 01:34 AM.

19. - Top - End - #139

(All)

You hear the high-pitched voice of Jorme call out in annoyance, "Gods kill this damn fog!"

This is soon followed by another voice, that of Nivlan calling out an offer of aid, "DOES ANYONE NEED HEALING?"

Thus we close round 3, the most frickin' complex thing I've ever seen.

Spoiler
    Show
    You may now post your intended actions for round 4.

Please include as many if/then options as you can think of, within reason, to expedite things. This coming round, I'm going to revert back to waiting until all actions are essentially resolved, whether in OOC or via PM, before posting any of them. Round 3 required several revisions because of my attempt to provide running feedback. It's not practical. So proceed as noted.

20. - Top - End - #140

Eleberry Lockwidge
    ( Init: 21 | AC: 18 | HP: 28/28 (Considering) | Position: Right under the poop deck. )

Lock quietly hisses at Jorme above him on the stairs, "Move back boy! The thickness is a trick. Come at least 10 feet."

Spoiler
    Show
    Round 4! (Below because the spoiler tags are being difficult)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: I will begin by shifting to the fog on N5 and O5 to O5 and P5, hoping Mr. Yellow Scales has failed his will save. Hopefully that draws him and maybe others out. I'll await further developements to act further.

Also, I'm assuming Yorkin is at N6?

Last edited by AmoDman; 2007-02-28 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Gah, no one mentioned I forgot my name the last coupla posts...woops.
    Shalom

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #141

Nivlan Kirk

Nivlan yelped in alarm.

OOC, Round 4:
    Spoiler
    Show
    For da' DM's:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Given the addendum to Round 3, Nivlan will attempt to grab the helm to keep the wheel from spinning out of control. Will this require some sort of roll?
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #142
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Darkstrider
    [Ini: 2 / AC: 14 / HP: 53/61 Bitten / Position: ON the helm]

Shuffling along the railing Gauran gets increasingly irritated by the loss of time the slippery deck imposes on him.
    The sound of fighting before him alerts him to foe's presence, but all he can see is the small frame of Jorme in the fog.
    Determined to make a move beyond Jorme without having to shuffle around him he crouches, his leg muscles bulging, releasing their power by propelling him into the air. Scaled forms reach with teeth and spears for him out of the fog, tearing his flesh as he continues his flight in a now twisted arc, sending him crashing down on the deck, sliding away only to be stopped by the helm and the figure in front of it, Captain Merev.

With a grunt of pain he makes for standing up again, his shoulder bleeding, barely suppressed the rage filling his eyes...

Where did that stinking god forsaken mist thicken so extremely, and why?

OOC ---> End of Round 3
    Last edited by Tyrel_Aurelian; 2007-02-28 at 10:04 AM.

23. - Top - End - #143

Shael Greyswan
    (Round 4, Init: 22 | AC: 14 | HP: 20/26 (Scathed) | Position: On the Move)

Were it not for the fog, Shael would be a truly frightening sight to behold. Green light smolders in his glaring eyes, and dark blood stains the ripped front of his white shirt. His broad-brimmed hat is askew on his head, twisted around and angled back and to the left, exposing his rumpled dark hair. Condensation and sweat bead on his pale skin—his days crisping in the sun now rendered invisible by the bloodless tension in his arms. Every ropy muscle stands out, as green lightning dances around his fist, flickering in the fog. Inside his head, Marix is as alert and focused as Shael himself.

Damn this diabolic fog! We'd have slain half a dozen of these creatures by now, if you could see a damn thing!

ME? You're blaming me?

A flicker of motion in the fog, and, as one, the two hurl a bolt of green energy down over the side.

Spoiler
    Show
    DMs
    Spoiler
    Show
    Shael is sidesteping to stand above where he saw the skum, and flinging a sickening blast DC 15 straight downwards at the area where he believes the skum is to be—meaning at the bottom. He is then turning and moving slowly further on deck, moving only 15 ft. to M7, and putting his back to the mast (or whatever the thing at L7 is...)
    Last edited by Annarrkkii; 2007-03-01 at 09:35 PM.
    Good grammar is hot.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Darkstrider
    [Round 4 / Ini: 2 / AC:7 / HP: 65/73 / Position: Changing...]

Getting his limbs together after his fall Gauran separates himself from Captain Merev and stands again.

He flexes his muscles and, removing his restraints, lets a power rush through him. A scream breaks through his throat, inhumanly loud and telling of a dreadful wrath set free. His features distort in a mixture of rage and pain as his body begins to expand, his muscles bulging with the power of the mountains, ending two good heads larger than before. The fires of an ancient hatred in his eyes, he looks down to the captain and snarls with a thundering voice resembling an earthquake:

"Back off. Someone is holding the helm already. I need more room."

Having said those words he swings his giant hammer over his head, and with a scream of rage bashes it down on the deck in the foggy recesses where the foes are hiding.

Spoiler
    Show

DMs only
    Spoiler
    Show

Move action: Stand up
    Free action: Trigger Rage
    Free action: Speech
    Standard action: Attack Square P06

I have now 10' reach and I am large, so I guess I can attack the Square on the Poop Deck without problems, the only thing you have to do is roll for the concealment of the Skum standing there.

My rolls are:

Attack: 29
    Damage: 26

As stated, Concealment roll is done by you. I hope I hit the creature, would be a shame about the ship's planks

Last edited by Tyrel_Aurelian; 2007-03-01 at 01:57 AM.

25. - Top - End - #145

Kahlynn
    (Init:18 l AC 16 l HP 44/44 Position: in motion, towards the stern)

Kahlynn moves cautiously towards the sounds of fighting, using the rail to guide her path. Pelor hear me, and help me do thy will...

Spoiler
    Show
    I am going to attempt to heal Darkstrider as soon as I have a visual fix- he's the closest, as i figure it, and the loudest!!

26. - Top - End - #146

Nivlan Kirk

OOC, Round 4 (twice modified):
    Spoiler
    Show
    No peeking!
    Spoiler
    Show
    If Merev will take the wheel, then Nivlan will revert to his original action--which was to fall on his face and get back up. (Stupid slippery deck. Stupid nonexistent DEX modifier. Stupid zero ranks in Balance.)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #147
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Fryst

In quick response to Nivlan's question, Fryst's voice hisses forth from the mist, sounding like a spitting mad cat. 'I'm f-f-f-fine. F-f-fish-f-f-face is-s-sn't. S-s-salt!!'

Spoiler
    Show
    Please update me on my stats - I'm not sure if I got any healing.

Fryst will move towards where he saw Salt, and try to help engage Salt's enemy. He's a little too mad to worry about such things as positioning - he just wants to get in and go crazy.

Balance check 1d20+5; third (?) round of rage; attack roll if he sees an enemy 1d20+10; double miss check; 1d8+6

28. - Top - End - #148

Shael
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can see the fish-man's yellowish-green scaled, heavily clawed hang clinging to the port rail a bit farther aft of you as you build your energies. Currently, then, the thing is still hanging over the side, most likely on his way up (else it probably would have dropped off last round). Your blast hits, eliciting a gurgling yell. Post blast, the hand on the rail remains, gripping tightly. You have no indication whether the sickening took effect.

You then move off toward M-07 without concern for an AoO given your relative positions (i.e. the fish-man fairly obviously can't see you regardless of the fog, as he's hanging over the side as you move away). Your position places you onto the cargo hold door, which is raised some off the deck surface, facing NE/starboard-aft.

Upon reaching M-07, you catch sight of three misty forms: Kahlynn (L-06; facing E/aft), Gauran (N-07; facing E/aft).

Shortly after your arrival, you suddenly see Yorkin appear (N-06; facing NE/starboard-aft).

A couple seconds later, Gauran releases a rather nasty grunt and within another second enlarges to a height beyond your ability to see through the fog. He also expands outwards in your direction and forces you off the cargo hold door and forward into L-08. This incurred a reflex save vs DC10: 1d20+5=20, so you managed to avoid being knocked over into that square, but you are now displaced there.

Now back there, you see Mr. Fishy (M-09) engaged in combat with someone to aft, apparently also in the rowboat with him/it.

Lock
    Spoiler
    Show
    You hop over the rowboat's side and find good footing on a cross-plank that serves as a seat. Once there (facing E/aft), you reorient your illusion to the desired position (O/P-05/06), angling the entire cube upward so allow at least some coverage of the poop deck sections you indicated. Remember, the poop deck is a bit over 8' from the main deck. Also, the stairs are very steep, rising that distance within about 2.5 horizontal feet. I don't want to get more complicated on something like this, so assume for the sake of argument, that you have your chosen squares covered sufficiently.

You can still see Jorme (O-05) looking rather disoriented upon the stairs and Yorkin (N-06) now no longer within your illusion, who appears to be waiting on your next suggestion. Despite the fog, you can tell he's becoming a bit disgruntled. From here, you can't see any skum. However, you just barely catch an odd gurgling sound from aft.

You hear some rather loud gurgling to port.

At some point, you see a rather fast moving Sparky go slipping past you along the starboard gunwale, down between it and the rowboat. He continues forward to the stairs, and appears to have continued even farther, climbing the outer edge (that is not within the bounds of your illusion), on up to the poop deck.

Adur
    Spoiler
    Show
    You begin to cast your spell. Your assumption that the rain might clear the fog in the area of effect is valid, so there's no reason to consider an alternative.

Fryst
    Spoiler
    Show
    You hear some rather loud gurgling toward the bow.

You move up the stairs, stepping over the corpse of the fish-man you exterminated earlier (at P-09) and catch sight of another fish-man, similar to the other, but with a bluish cast to its scales, and bearing a barbed spear and a shield that appears to be covered with overlapped shells or large scales (Q-08; facing W/forward). It's currently in melee with Salt (P-08; facing E/aft).

You let loose with a pair of greatclub attacks but miss the first due to concealment, and the second due to some other reason (i.e. crappy roll).

Note: Your round was already resolved by blue chicken before you checked back in.

Sparky
    Spoiler
    Show
    You make your way along the starboard gunwale beside the rowboat for some of the way, and eventually gaining the stairs. As you do, you notice that the fog there seems exceptionally thick and is obscuring anything that might be on the stairs. You can just see about a foot, or so, of the starboard edges of the stairs, and hop onto them. Once there, you notice the thicker fog extends farther aft of the stairs, though you can't tell how far back. You avoid that thicker fog and proceed to your intended destination (P-04). Once there, your sensitive ears tell you there's something moving around just to port, within the heavier fog (P-05).

Since you can't tell what it is, and have little chance of hitting something you can't see, you pause defensively as you consider the situation. Nothing leaps or strikes out at you from the fog...in any direction.

Nivlan
    Spoiler
    Show
    Merev rises from the deck and quickly resumes the wheel. He looks royally pissed, and casts a glance your direction, but says nothing.

Meanwhile, Guaran has shifted his position to stand upon the aft cargo bay door (N-07).

You hear some rather loud gurgling toward the port-bow (i.e. SW). Let's assume the sound startled you, you spun to face port and caught your feet on the edge of the raised rim of the cargo hold, thus losing your balance and flopping down.

As you rise, you catch sight of Gauran upon the right cargo bay door, suddenly exploding in size, now with his head and shoulders out of sight in the fog, and his stance spanning across the cargo hold doors and somewhat to port (he now occupies M/N-07/08).

Gauran
    Spoiler
    Show
    You hear some rather loud gurgling to port.

Your facing is assumed to be E/aft, for obvious reasons.

You see Merev stand and resume the helm, casting a nasty glance, not to you, but toward Nivlan who stands to his right (O-08), or more precisely is resuming his feet after tripping over the edge of the cargo hold door's raised edges.

You snarl at Merev at this point, though he's already resumed the helm. It's then Merev gives you a nasty glance of your own.

You then enter mountain rage and bloat yourself to sickening proportions. As you do, you feel that you've shoved someone/something off the forward cargo door (behind you), but otherwise, it appears no one was in the way. You are now, let's see, mountain rage adds "about two feet" to your height, so figure you're a flat 10' tall at the moment. You can no longer see your feet at all, or anyone less than 5' tall without bending down to look. Your balance check will increase by +2, though, due to bigger feet.

The cargo hold creaks under your now immense weight, but it doesn't seem as though they will collapse. At least not immediately.

Just after you bloat yourself, you feel a sudden soothing effect on your back, left side. The effect rushes through you and you feel the gashes in your left shoulder closing. You have been healed. I'll assume you throw a glance in that direction: you see nothing but fog.

Now on to your attack. Given your distance from the target square, you can't see squat. Your attack has a 50% miss chance due to total concealment. You feel your hammer come down hard on the poop deck, but you can't quite tell if you've smashed into something other than that. You don't hear any tell-tale crunching sounds, though you wouldn't anyway, against the loud crashing of your weapon into the wood. Fortunately, you do feel that you haven't put the hammer's head through the deck itself.

If you're interested, you can take a move action to inspect your hammer to see if there's any fish-man goop on it, but otherwise, you're just guessing at this point. Remember, your visibility remains 5', but with your extended reach, even when not swinging, your hammer's head is out of sight unless you intentially bring it closer to your face.

On your next round, assuming you continue to strike out, please describe exactly how you intend to conduct your swing.

Kahlynn
    Spoiler
    Show
    While you await an opportunity to pinpoint Guaran in the fog ahead, you notice Shael pop up to your right, on the forward cargo bay door (M-07). He's facing starboard/aft (i.e. NE) at the moment.

Late in the round you hear Guaran's voice saying, "Back off. Someone is holding the helm already. I need more room." Your cue received, you cast the CLW via reach in the direction you believe Guaran to be (aft, at least more than 5'). As this is a touch attack by nature, I'll assume you gain some sort of feedback: you feel you've found your target and delivered the healing magic to good effect.

Almost simultaneously, you catch sight of Gauran emerging from the mists to your right (M-07) looking much larger than normal, and in fact, getting larger very quickly. After only a moment, his head and shoulders are lost to your sight in the fog above, and though you can't actually see it, you deduce his stance probably spans both cargo bay doors and likely an even larger area. He currently faces away from you, to aft. During this transitional phase, you also see Gauran's growing bulk shove Shael from his spot on the forward cargo bay door, to somewhere out of sight, port of you.

Your initiative is now shifted to 1.

29. - Top - End - #149

(All)

[Late in the round]

You hear a frighteningly loud crash and feel a telltale heavy vibration resonate through the ship's body that tell's you, in no uncertain terms, that something big has impacted the poop deck's surface.

30. - Top - End - #150

Shael Greyswan
    (Round 5?, Init: 22 | AC: 14 | HP: 20/26 (Scathed) | Position: Engaging)

The world spins through the fog as Shael reels back from the sudden obstacle, stumbling away from the expanding shape. He twists away at the sound of combat, focusing in on an amphibious shape, half-seen through the haze.

Can't ask for a clearer shot than that...

Shael hesitates, unwilling to reveal Marix's presence to the crew, but, with a snarl, the devil exploded into action, and green light flashed through the fog from his fist.

Spoiler
    Show
    DMs
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll five hold position, hoping the thing doesn't know I'm there, engaged as it is, and not bother casting defensively as I fling another sickening blast (Still DC 15) at the thing's back. Precise Shot means no worries that he's engaged, and, since I can't see his foe, I'll assume that he doesn't have cover from his enemy. SHOULD the skum die before my action, however, I will instead take a look around and ready an action to sickening blast the first fishy bastard I see. Attack and damage rolls in the roller-thread.[/i]
    Last edited by Annarrkkii; 2007-03-04 at 04:50 PM.
    Good grammar is hot.