New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Thanqol Learns To Draw IV: NO EXCUSES

From the sounds of this you guys think I'd be less weird if my sexual innuendo was actually serious.

Day 1178: TEST-I-FY!

I re-watched Repo! The Genetic Opera again tonight and I immediately wanted to watch it a third time, back to fricking back. I think I'm in love with this movie.

Also, I really like the sketching style/brush settings I figured out here!

Links

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    From the sounds of this you guys think I'd be less weird if my sexual innuendo was actually serious.
    less weird
    Probably, but it would be like moving around grains of sand on a beach.

Your old bearded wise men are consistently good and are really indicative of the style you're developing, I think. I'm sorry I'm not educated enough in art to tell you why they feel distinct and consistent to me, but here we are.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

3. - Top - End - #213

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Probably, but it would be like moving around grains of sand on a beach.

Your old bearded wise men are consistently good and are really indicative of the style you're developing, I think. I'm sorry I'm not educated enough in art to tell you why they feel distinct and consistent to me, but here we are.
    I love drawing old men and Africans. They just have by far the most interesting faces.

4. - Top - End - #214

Day 1179: Lime In The Coconut

Watched Reservoir Dogs. Quentin Tarintino is kind of a genius.

Links

Music: Put The Lime In The Coconut

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

Day 1179: Lime In The Coconut

Watched Reservoir Dogs. Quentin Tarintino is kind of a genius.

Links

Music: Put The Lime In The Coconut
    I just watched that one earlier this week. I still can't figure out that movie because I hated every character (Mr. pink was kinda okay), but I loved the movie.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”

6. - Top - End - #216

I just watched that one earlier this week. I still can't figure out that movie because I hated every character (Mr. pink was kinda okay), but I loved the movie.
    Tarintino doesn't speak the same language as the rest of humanity. He speaks the language of sound, motion, music, rhythm and emotion. He is the essence of style over substance. All his movies are like that - they're filled with clichés, ridiculous garbage, horrible characters and long, totally pointless conversations. But no matter how bad the substance may seem to rational thought or analysis every aspect of it is communicated with such charisma, such grace, and such flawless understanding of tension, pacing and audio it grips you by the throat.

Tarintino movies are like what an alien would make. If they were a person they'd be Christopher Walken - a strange, compelling person who can dance like a God. Walken's presence in Pulp Fiction is legitimately the most Quentin Tarintino moment you will ever encounter.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2014-08-02 at 08:09 AM.

7. - Top - End - #217

Day 1180: adventures in lack of time

THE SLUMP CONTINUES

Links

Music: I'm Daring
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2014-08-03 at 08:55 AM.

8. - Top - End - #218

Day 1181: happy

i think i have identified the problem
    the problem is that i am too happy
    i am perfectly happy with everything
    and as such i have no desire to exert myself at all
    like i am an enlightened zen monk existing in the moment
    this is a serious problem

Links

Music: Zero Gravity
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2014-08-04 at 08:08 AM.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

Day 1181: happy

i think i have identified the problem
    the problem is that i am too happy
    i am perfectly happy with everything
    and as such i have no desire to exert myself at all
    like i am an enlightened zen monk existing in the moment
    this is a serious problem

Links

Music: Zero Gravity
    I'd offer advice, but I don't think I've ever experienced this problem and I have no perspective on it.

That's a very nice sketch of Pinkie Pie's head though.

Edit: Also, that album you were listening to for today's art is really awesome.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2014-08-04 at 07:49 PM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

10. - Top - End - #220

I'd offer advice, but I don't think I've ever experienced this problem and I have no perspective on it.

That's a very nice sketch of Pinkie Pie's head though.

Edit: Also, that album you were listening to for today's art is really awesome.
    Yup.

Day 1182: Yup

P&P sketch.

Day 1183: Four! Ha! Ha!

Trying to muster some motivation by doing some exaggerated designs of famous characters. Not much is coming to me. I just have no motivation to write anything, which is seriously compromising my ability to generate stories of any kind. I just... don't have anything to say.

Links

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

If you wish to exert yourself some ideas:

- draw not-people. You've said you wish to improve perspective work, so draw some buildings. The book Putting things in Perspective* by Graphic-Sha is an excellent guide on the subject, and not just buildings.

- draw not-portraits. Most of what you draw is people's faces and people standing. Draw people doing. Walking with groceries (you should be able to tell if the bags are heavy or not by how their posture shifts), climbing a ladder, changing shirts, riding a bike, cooking dinner, making out.

- draw from different pov's. No more 3/4 views. Overhead perspective, someone one the ground looking up etc.

- draw not-sketches. I think this one is the most important. Even if it takes a week finish a picture. I worry that while your sketchwork is very solid you're not working on the techniques that come after. Refining the areas where the sketching is lacking (hands and feet! Body language and posture!). For instance on day 1180 jacket collars don't sit flat like that, his shoulders are uneven and if he's leaning on his cane that shoulder would be higher (see here).
    But the thing is just sketching nothing but rough skeletons won't improve detail work. Just drawing hands works, but not drawing them then attached to a person is not good. Also what level of detail and finish works at different scales. A finely detailed hand makes sense when it's a closeup, but with a distance shot you have to economise so it doesn't look messy, or put detail on everything so it doesn't stand out. Knowing which hand to put on which body and the like.

All this leads into next point:

Copy, copy, copy!

There's a thing floating around called Screencap Redraw (just google image it) where people take a fave shot form a show or game and redraw it. Not tracing or copying the style, but use it as a reference for your own style. Even if it means you don't have something 'new' every day but update progress I reckon where you're at now you'll benefit more from finishing pics than loads of sketches.

* This whole series is really good, but a lot of it is aimed at traditional artists. However the perspective book, some of the clothing books and ones on subjects like couples, male and female characters, and combat are great references.
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.
    Don't touch me I'm royalty.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, at the risk of repeating myself, I do feel that there is a degree of comfort zone that has established itself here, with the line-work thing.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

I'd particularly echo Zorg's suggestion to draw not-people. You complained a week or so ago that you had no clue how to draw a car and then you let that drop and went back to sketching people instead of, say, learning to draw a car.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

14. - Top - End - #224

Quote Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
    If you wish to exert yourself some ideas:

- draw not-people. You've said you wish to improve perspective work, so draw some buildings. The book Putting things in Perspective* by Graphic-Sha is an excellent guide on the subject, and not just buildings.

- draw not-portraits. Most of what you draw is people's faces and people standing. Draw people doing. Walking with groceries (you should be able to tell if the bags are heavy or not by how their posture shifts), climbing a ladder, changing shirts, riding a bike, cooking dinner, making out.

- draw from different pov's. No more 3/4 views. Overhead perspective, someone one the ground looking up etc.
    Right-o; I was working through an interesting portrait gallery recently with a lot of cool faces but it kind of limited me to face-shapes. Stepping out is a great idea.
    - draw not-sketches. I think this one is the most important. Even if it takes a week finish a picture. I worry that while your sketchwork is very solid you're not working on the techniques that come after. Refining the areas where the sketching is lacking (hands and feet! Body language and posture!). For instance on day 1180 jacket collars don't sit flat like that, his shoulders are uneven and if he's leaning on his cane that shoulder would be higher (see here).
    But the thing is just sketching nothing but rough skeletons won't improve detail work. Just drawing hands works, but not drawing them then attached to a person is not good. Also what level of detail and finish works at different scales. A finely detailed hand makes sense when it's a closeup, but with a distance shot you have to economise so it doesn't look messy, or put detail on everything so it doesn't stand out. Knowing which hand to put on which body and the like.
    The major block I'm having here is that I haven't figured out a technique I like for taking something out of sketch form and into something approaching a finished piece. Do you know any videos or tutorials on the transition from sketches, to linework/paint flats? Basic stuff, not 'draw a circle, then draw the rest of the pony' stuff. The techniques I have are very inelegant.

Copy, copy, copy!

There's a thing floating around called Screencap Redraw (just google image it) where people take a fave shot form a show or game and redraw it. Not tracing or copying the style, but use it as a reference for your own style. Even if it means you don't have something 'new' every day but update progress I reckon where you're at now you'll benefit more from finishing pics than loads of sketches.
    Okay, sounds legit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Yeah, at the risk of repeating myself, I do feel that there is a degree of comfort zone that has established itself here, with the line-work thing.
    I'd particularly echo Zorg's suggestion to draw not-people. You complained a week or so ago that you had no clue how to draw a car and then you let that drop and went back to sketching people instead of, say, learning to draw a car.
    I blame people with beautiful faces.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2014-08-06 at 10:21 PM.

15. - Top - End - #225

Day 1184: Mothership

Xyber Hueg Screenshot Challenge.

This is based off a screenshot from the excellent movie, Ender's Game (I have no idea why that movie didn't do better, it's really good). I decided I didn't much like the Formian's ship design, though, so I decided to spice it up by drawing in it's place the Protoss Mothership (I am mad keen on competitive Starcraft). This is going to be a proper challenge.

I think a point that's subtly made it harder to do this in the past is how I save my WIP files; this one I saved as 'Day 1184-1194'; I've got ten days to work on this and see where it goes! It's going to be a huge challenge but hey, I might learn something.

WIP feedback is encouraged.

Original Screenshot

WIP Day 1
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2014-08-07 at 05:38 AM.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

Any reason why you changed the viewing angle of the ship so drastically? The original is from below, to make it look intimidating, but yours is from above. Is is because you don't see the underneath in game?
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2014-08-07 at 10:52 AM.
    Devoted artificer of the church of Scorching Ray.

17. - Top - End - #227

Quote Originally Posted by Madcrafter View Post
    Any reason why you changed the viewing angle of the ship so drastically? The original is from below, to make it look intimidating, but yours is from above. Is is because you don't see the underneath in game?
    The mothership has a top-heavy design; I've got an image of it from below but it's less interesting, especially at the shallower angle I'd have to use to replicate the screencap. This angle gives it that flying saucer-y look that it's based off.

Day 1185: Mothership2

Just slammed down some flats, not worth an upload.

Colourwise I want to take my cues from this glossy little thing; a very blue space and a very glossy, reflective material. No idea how I'm going to make that work though. I think I'll start on the space and do the ship itself last.

18. - Top - End - #228

Day 1186: Mothership3

Here's where I'm at.

Links

19. - Top - End - #229
    Troll in the Playground

Day 1186: Mothership3

Here's where I'm at.

Links
    The space background does look like it's coming along well.
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

20. - Top - End - #230

Day 1187: Mothership5

Basically sat and stared at the picture for a while figuring out what I should do next.

21. - Top - End - #231

Day 1188: Mothership6

Updated the linework and put down a lighting map. It helps to stop thinking of this as a finished products but a series of individual things that I don't know how to do, which lets me come up with better methodology. The lighting map is me sketching out the location and direction of light sources, which is useful and helped me avert a big mistake later. Also named all my linework layers; I'm in this for a while.

22. - Top - End - #232

Day 1189-1190: Mothership7+8

[/whining]

SO MUCH TO DO

Links

23. - Top - End - #233

Day 1191: Mothership9

Did shields and ship lights. I'm getting the hang of this extended piece thing mentally even if the results aren't super memorable right now.

24. - Top - End - #234

Day 1192: Mothership10

Shields, lights, and the beginnings of shading.

Links

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

Day 1192: Mothership10

Shields, lights, and the beginnings of shading.

Links
    What's weird is how just adding the dome with the little bit of glare on it suddenly gives the picture a ton more 3D perspective.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

For sure. Though I might suggest rounding it a bit more, right now it's asymmetry throws the whole image right, and accentuates the ship's.

Strange how appearance of a thing like that that doesn't even exist can be so... well known.
    Devoted artificer of the church of Scorching Ray.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

Strange how appearance of a thing like that that doesn't even exist can be so... well known.
    Not really strange. I could tell you the name, home, and backstory for every playable character in the Mass Effect series, but I don't know what state any of my co-workers were born in. Welcome to the weirdness of modern alienation.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2014-08-15 at 01:59 AM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

28. - Top - End - #238

What's weird is how just adding the dome with the little bit of glare on it suddenly gives the picture a ton more 3D perspective.
    That's why they're called flats.

For sure. Though I might suggest rounding it a bit more, right now it's asymmetry throws the whole image right, and accentuates the ship's.

Counterpoint: Batman.

Day 1193: Mothership11

More shading and detail. Increased the number of stars by a factor of 100 and grouped bunches of them up, looks way better. I think the ship's about done, I might start working on the viewing platform next.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2014-08-16 at 05:05 AM.

29. - Top - End - #239

Day 1194: Mothership12

Aw yea, this is starting to come together. I'm just chipping at it in 30 minute intervals per day but it's actually a really nice counterpoint to trying to slam out a bunch of sketches that don't go anywhere so I'm finding it actually becoming really relaxing. I think it's going to get really interesting once I've got it to the point where I'd normally call it good enough - trying to figure out how to go that last mile is something I don't think I've really done before.

In amidst all the stuff competing for my attention, I've been reading Shattered Sword, the definitive account of the Battle of Midway. I don't think any horror story has terrified me half as much as the stunning level of incompetence at work in the lead up to that battle. I guess I've learned that the real way to intimidate Thanqol is systemic incompetence.

Links

30. - Top - End - #240

Day 1195: Mothership13

Erased a bunch of linework which made the ship look a lot better. I think that might be something to keep in mind later - partial erasure of linework. Messed around with light and shading and the ship's looking pretty good, I think. Now I just need to figure out how to do the observatory section. That's especially tricky because I significantly changed the colour dynamics of the picture to go with the more vivid and bright Starcraft style rather than the blue-grey Enders' aesthetic. I'll need to think about that.