Thread: Make a Cardgame

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Make a Cardgame

So i thought of a game that might be fun.

One person each week (starting with me) will post 5 cards here.
    Anyone else can then submit a ruleset to go with the cards (we assume there are more cards in the game, these are just 5 examples).
    By the end of the week the card maker will choose who he thinks made the best ruleset and that person will post the new cards.

The ruleset must contain:
    What is the game called?
    How many player can play?
    How do you get and play the cards?
    How do cards interact with eachother?
    How do you win?

It doesn't need to be a long detailed ruleset, just enough that the card maker can clearly see what the game is about and have enough knowledge to play the game and only have to look up specifics (which you don't need to make.)

The game can be a trading card game or any other type of card game, please make sure to note which.

The ruleset will be judged by:
    How good are the rules, how likely could they be in a real game.
    Creating important stuff in the rules that isn't shown in the 5 cards is allowed but will count against the rule maker.(creating an important mechanic will count a little against him/her, a new card type will count a lot against.)
    Game balance, although it won't be a hard point and more a soft one to pick one of two close rulesets.

Your game may include any number of dice, counters (even card shaped counters), game boards (must be either posted or explained) and the like.
    You can't ignore something on a card, but you can make it unimportant (you could for instance make one number in the corner a serial number.)

It is going to be a weekly thing, but i will let the first one run for two weeks just to get things going.

The five cards for these two weeks:

Imp - 3
    Demon - +5
    When you play Imp, gather an ingredient.

Succubus - 2
    Demon - +4
    When you play Succubus, an opponent must give you one ingredient.

Devil - 4
    Demon - +7
    To play Devil you must have a pentagram

Ritual of Pride - 3
    Ritual
    Summon Lucifer

Virgin's blood
    Ingredient
    Draw a pentagram.

If you have any questions ask only.
    Last edited by Ninjaman; 2014-05-11 at 12:43 PM.
    My homebrewed rulesystem about city fighting warbands
    Portfolio
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Make a Cardgame

Just to make stuff a bit easier i created an example using magic the gathering:
    Spoiler: Example
    Show

Given cards

Mountain
    Basic land - mountain

Goblin Piker - 1R
    Creature - Goblin
    2/1

Doom Blade - 1B
    Instant
    Destroy target nonblack creature

Bonesplitter - 1
    Artifact - equipment
    Equipped creature gets +2/+0.
    Equip 1

Wind Drake - 2U
    Creature - Drake
    Flying
    2/2

Rules:
    Spoiler: Rules
    Show

The game is called Magic the Gathering
    It can be played by two or more players

Each player has their own deck of 60 cards.

Each player starts the game with 7 cards on their hands.
    Players roll off to see who starts
    At the beginning of a player's turn that player "untaps" all his permanents (turns them non-sideways).
    Then he draws a card from his deck.

The players can play a land during his first or second main phase. He can only play one land per turn.
    A player can tap a land (Turn it sideways) for mana, there are 5 types of lands, mountains make red mana, islands make blue, forests make green, swamps make black and plains make white (note that this counts as adding an important element, but since it adds a lot to the game it would make it better, but if anoter player made an equally good game adding fewer things, that player would win). Mana is used to cast spells.
    To play a spell you must pay it's mana cost (top right corner). Some color symbols, represented by letters (G for green, R for red, B for black, U for blue and W for white), can only be paid with mana of the corosponding colour. A card is the colors of the mana sympols in it's mana cost. Numbers in the manacost represent an amount of colorless mana, this mana can be paid with any color. A card is only colorless if it costs no colored mana.
    When a player casts a creature or artifact he puts in unto the battlefield. These two types along with lands are known as permanents. You can only cast artifacts and creatures during your first or second main phase.
    Instants can be played at anytime (even during your opponents turn.) When you cast an instant you do what it says and then puts it in your graveyard.

Combat:
    During combat on your turn you may tap any of your creatures that didn't enter the battlefield this turn to attack your opponent. You opponent can then chose some of his creatures to block your creatures. To block your opponent simply chooses an untapped creature he controls and nominate which of your creatures he blocks, he can do this for each of his creatures. You can block one creature with several creatures. When a creature is blocking another creature each deals damage to the other equal to their power (the first number at the buttom) devided as they choose to the other creatures. If a creature is dealt more damage than it has toughness (the last number at the buttom) it dies. Damage is removed from creatures at end of turn. If a creature is unblocked it deals damage equal to it's power to the opponent. Each player has 20 life, when a player's life reaches 0 that player loses the game.

After combat you have your second main phase where you can cast spells (if you still have mana for it), and play lands (if you haven't played any this turn).

When your second main phase is over it is your opponent's turn.

Some rules on the cards:
    Flying:
    A flying creature can only be blocked by another flying creature.

Equip:
    To equip pay the equip cost and attatch the equipment to one of your creatures, activate this ability only during one of your main phases. The creature the equipment is attached to is the equipped creature.

Comments:
    Spoiler: Comments
    Show

This is what you need, tell the basic rules and the mechanics on the cards. You don't need to explain things that is part of the game but isn't in the five cards unless it is important (i didn't explain haste in the example because none of the five cards fearured haste).

Portfolio
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.

Extended signature

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    The game is called Deal with the Devil. It is a computerised card game played by two or more players with a deck containing ten ingredient cards called "Soul," which grant you a single soul when played, and five other ingredient cards of the player's choice, which can be more souls. The other main ingredients are flames and hearts, though some cards produce special ingredients such as pentagrams.

You also have a bank which contains your other sixty cards, and must contain the seven cards needed to win the game. You must choose whether it contains. Four cards are put face up from your bank at the start of the game. Some of these cards may give you ingredients (such as imp, which allows you to gather any one ingredient), though most simply produce flames each turn. Each turn, you draw three cards from your deck. To buy a card from the face-ups in your bank, you must spend a number of souls equal to that card's hit points, given in the top-right corner of the card. Some cards therefore have a hit point value even if they wouldn't need one (such as rituals). Every turn, a new card is put face up. If there are more than four face-ups, the one that's been face-up longest goes to the bottom of your deck.

When you buy a card, if it's a demon it goes onto the battlefield under your control. It produces a number of flames each turn given on the card, and also has an effect when it is played. If it's a ritual, it takes effect and then is discarded. When a card is discarded, it goes back into your deck, not your bank.

Flames are used to deal damage to enemy cards. Hearts are used to heal your own cards. Souls are used to buy more cards.

"Gathering" an ingredient allows you to add one of that ingredient with your pool without actually paying an ingredient card. When your opponent is forced to give you an ingredient, they choose an ingredient they have, lose one of that ingredient, and you gain one of the same ingredient.

You win by playing the cards "Ritual of Avarice," "Ritual of Desire," "Ritual of Envy," "Ritual of Gluttony," "Ritual of Pride," "Ritual of Sloth" and "Ritual of Wrath," costing 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 soul respectively.

This the sort of thing you're looking for?
    Last edited by Jormengand; 2014-05-11 at 11:43 AM.
    Avatar by Pessimismrocks. Thanks!
    The first rule of unarmed combat: Don't be unarmed.
    If I wanted you to use gendered pronouns for me, I'd have a gender marker. Incidentally, Amkii, Kayros, Legio and The Hunter shouldn't be referred to as male either, so stop it.
    Insert generic comment about giving in and getting a homebrewer's extended sig here.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes.

But you need to explain how flames work.
    You must also define what it means to gather an ingredient and how an opponent gives you an ingredient.
    Last edited by Ninjaman; 2014-05-11 at 09:48 AM.
    Portfolio
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    Yes.

But you need to explain how flames work.
    You must also define what it means to gather an ingredient and how an opponent gives you an ingredient.
    I said that flames could be spent to deal damage. I imagined that gathering an ingredient and your opponent giving you one were self-explanatory.

EDIT: Explained them a bit more.
    Last edited by Jormengand; 2014-05-11 at 11:44 AM.
    If I wanted you to use gendered pronouns for me, I'd have a gender marker. Incidentally, Amkii, Kayros, Legio and The Hunter shouldn't be referred to as male either, so stop it.
    Insert generic comment about giving in and getting a homebrewer's extended sig here.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

The flames aren't explained. How long will they be in your pool? When can you use them? Does damage ever get removed from demons? When does a demon die? What happens when they die?
    Last edited by Ninjaman; 2014-05-11 at 01:04 PM.
    Portfolio
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    The flames aren't explained. How long will they be in your pool? When can you use them? Does damage ever get removed from demons? When does a demon die? What happens when they die?
    Uh.... well, until you spend them, on your turn, yes because you can use hearts to heal them but otherwise no, when they run out of health and, as I said, "It goes into your deck, not your bank."

If I don't specify that there's a time limit on using flames, it's because there isn't. If I don't specify that things get health back, it's because they don't.

I suppose I should tell you that demons die when they run out of health and that you can only play on your turn, but it seems obvious.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Uh.... well, until you spend them, on your turn, yes because you can use hearts to heal them but otherwise no, when they run out of health and, as I said, "It goes into your deck, not your bank."

If I don't specify that there's a time limit on using flames, it's because there isn't. If I don't specify that things get health back, it's because they don't.

I suppose I should tell you that demons die when they run out of health and that you can only play on your turn, but it seems obvious.
    Just write something like: during your turn you may spend a flame to deal one damage to a demon, you may do this any amount of times.
    And you will also need something like: when a demon is dealt damage equal to it's hit point value, discard it. I know it might seem obvious but the only other thing you used hit points for was as a cost and people could assume that flames just instant killed or something.
    Also when can you use hearts, if you can only use them during your turn they aren't really doing anything, since the opponent can just stack enough flames untill he can instant kill a demon. If you can use them during your opponent's turn, how does priority go?
    Portfolio
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature