A game of Mafia

for ages three and up!

30 players minimum
    ~
    45 players maximum

Game information:

Spoiler: Narrator and Narration
    Show
    Askthepizzaguy will be taking on the role of Andy Davis' mom, Mrs. Davis. (The Narrator / Game host)

• Essentially, "Mom" makes the rules, purchases all the toys, and invites people over to the house to play.

• Mom also replaces toys that are no longer being played with (inactive players)

• Or gathers them up and tosses them out in a Yard Sale if they have broken the rules. (Wrath of Mrs Davis)

• Andy's Mom also tells you if the toys have been damaged during play. (Broken toys)

• Andy's Mom also tells you if the toys are so badly broken that they had to be removed from play (Murdered)

• Andy's Mom will also inform you if any of your toys have gone missing.

Glossary of terminology:

Spoiler: Glossary and Team Alignments
    Show
    Mrs. Davis: The narrator, Askthepizzaguy. Not a player in the game, cannot win the game by any means, and Mrs. Davis is not a role given to any player character. Be warned.

Damaged toys: Have been broken or mishandled during play and are no longer capable of using any special powers that they might have, other than immunities. It's possible that toys can be repaired.
    **Caution: Broken toys who are then Lynched will not have their alignment revealed!**

Lynched: To be removed from play by a vote during the Day phase, the lynchee is chosen based on who received the most votes, in the event of a tie, secret tie-breaking mechanics will be used. If toys are not broken, their alignment will be truthfully revealed upon lynch.

Repaired: To restore a broken toy to proper working order: ("Not broken" or "Undamaged")

Removed from play: To be either murdered or lynched. There's no coming back from this, it is a permanent state of affairs, and you may no longer vote or discuss things with your fellow players, with the exception of the Antagonists. You are out of the game and must respect the rules regarding communication about the game post death.
    **Roles which are removed from play by a murder will not have their alignment revealed.**

Missing Toys: It is possible that some toys could be removed from play in a manner that is not permanent. The exact circumstances of this phenomenon are unknown. Missing toys may continue to discuss with the other toys, but they cannot vote. (They can try, but their vote will not count)
    Missing Toys cannot be targeted with night actions (if they are, there will be no effect). They also cannot use night actions.

Alignment: Five categories will be given:

• Antagonists (Mafia)
    • Protagonists (Town)
    • Neutrals
    • Third Party
    • Unknown (no data)

Antagonists: This refers to the Mafia team in this game, also known as the werewolf team in werewolf games. They are specifically anti-town, and they win if the Town doesn't win.
    "Not Broken" Antagonists will be clearly identified as such upon Lynch.

Protagonists: This refers to the Town team in this game, also known as the villager team in werewolf games. They are specifically pro-town, and they win if they remove all threats to Town, meaning the Antagonists and any other anti-town forces that are a requirement to be removed.
    "Not Broken" Protagonists will be clearly identified as such upon Lynch.

Neutrals: It is possible that some roles are neutral. Neutral roles have specific victory conditions which do not prevent either the Antagonists or Protagonists from winning, and are therefore not specifically a threat to either side's victory. Neutrals may be able to join the Protagonist or Antagonist team under specific, rare circumstances, but there is no such thing as Forced Recruitment in this game. Neutrals cannot be forcibly converted to the Antagonist team or Protagonist team, and if they wish, can always remain neutral. There may or may not even be any Neutrals in this game. Sometimes I include this category merely as a possibility.
    "Not Broken" Neutrals will be clearly identified as such upon lynch.

Third Parties: It is possible that there are other-aligned roles in this game, who are playing for keeps, and thus a threat to the Antagonists and the Protagonists, or are otherwise neutral and have their own secret win conditions which are not a threat to the Antagonists or the Protagonists. There may or may not even be any Third Parties in this game. Sometimes I include this category merely as a possibility.
    "Not Broken" Third Parties will be clearly identified as such upon Lynch.

Andy's Toys: The bulk of the characters in this game will be made of of Toys owned by Andy Davis, but not all characters in this game will be Toys owned by Andy Davis.

Cover roles: Some players might be provided with additional viable fake/cover roles which they can claim. This is designed to prevent the game from being broken or for the Protagonists to be given an unfair advantage if they decide to mass claim. The host-provided cover roles may have other additional effects which are not spelled out here.

Forced Recruitment: Does not exist in this game. Neutrals are therefore not a threat to either side unless they specifically choose to become one. Any alignment changes are therefore voluntary.

Day and Night Phases:

Spoiler: Day and Night Phases
    Show
    Day Phase (72 hours)- Vote to lynch, discuss strategy with the whole group in the public thread.

Night Phase (48 hours)- Night actions must be in before the Night Phase is over. They may be sent in advance, but cannot be sent late. Discuss strategy with the whole group in the public thread.

Restricted Private Communication:

Spoiler: Private communication rules
    Show
    The only private communication that is allowed in this game are quicktopics that are set up and explicitly granted to players by the game host. For example, the Antagonists will have a quicktopic. These quicktopics are not allowed to be revealed in the thread under any circumstances or for any reason until the Narrator has declared the game to be over, and posted them personally.

Users who are not participants in the game (Spectators) may not contact active players about the game while the game is in play, please. If you want to play, sign up to be a player.

Exceptions: I will set up a quicktopic for spectators and players who have been permanently removed from play, which will generally not contain spoilers. I will also set up another quicktopic for people who wish to be completely spoiled, and are advised that they cannot share the link with anyone.

To gain access to these quicktopics, you must PM the game moderator / Narrator, Askthepizzaguy. Do not ask for the link from anyone else, because all participants in the quicktopic need to be approved by Askthepizzaguy first.

I cannot police activity that happens outside of the rules, but I trust players and spectators based on the honors system to uphold such rules.

Rules that must not be broken: (Please read this in its entirety before signing up!)

Spoiler: Rulebook
    Show
    1) Do not reveal quicktopics, and do not communicate about the game outside of the public thread with the above exceptions, do not communicate about the game after you have been removed from play except in a manner authorized by the game host (see above: exceptions)

2) Please do not post screenshots of your role PM, or take a similar action. Copy and pasting information from your role PM is acceptable.

3) Please do not sign up to this game using multiple accounts.

4) Please do not share your account password with anyone, to allow anyone to gain access to your privileged information about the game. Please do not allow a fellow player to observe you playing the game if you know each other IRL (protect the game integrity).

5) Please continue to follow all Forum rules, they still apply. Please follow all requests made by official forum Moderators.

6) Please follow the Narrator's instructions- if you have been advised to stop posting about the game, please do so. If you have been removed from play due to inactivity or have been replaced, please do not post in the thread any more, and please maintain game integrity by confining your commentary to the spectator's unspoiled or spoiled quicktopics if applicable.

7) Please wait until the game is completely over to offer criticisms of the game setup or the narrator's hosting decisions. It's only fair on the Narrator that you withhold judgment until everything has been revealed.

8) Please be friendly and civil toward your fellow players, and follow all narrator instructions to tone things down if they get heated.

9) All known rulebreaks must be reported immediately to Askthepizzaguy via PM.

10) In the event the rules have been broken for an extended period of time without the game host's knowledge, the game may be declared a no contest and closed. Reporting all accidental rulebreaks is important because the game host may need to re-balance the game or offer a penalty to restore balance. It is just a game, but the referee still needs to enforce the rules and keep the game fair.

Additional rules, mechanics, and information may be given at start of play, but these will be the most important rules. The rules may be amended during play if the game host deems it to be necessary.

Victory conditions and secondary goals:

Spoiler: Goals and victory ranking
    Show
    If your team wins the game, you win the game. However, it is possible to score well by achieving secondary goals. What those will be for, is fun, obviously, but it will go like this:
    Win
    Team Rank 1, Secondary goal achieved
    Team Rank 1, no goal achieved
    (*)

Runners up / Draw
    Team Rank 2, Secondary goal achieved
    Team Rank 3, Secondary goal achieved

Loss
    Team Rank 2, no goal achieved
    Team Rank 3, no goal achieved

In other words, your team could rank dead last, and you'd still score moderately well if you achieve your goal. Furthermore, some roles may have 2 secondary goals, and achieving both of them is an automatic win, equivalent to being on the team that won the game, with no goal achieved (see asterisk *)

Further information about this game:

Spoiler: About this game
    Show
    The narrator Askthepizzaguy has a track record of making things difficult on the town/village team by avoiding predictable setups or obvious designs. As such, you should be advised to expect the unexpected. These setups do not unfairly favor the mafia/werewolf team, but they generally mean you need to catch them by your own skills based on cases built by merit, as opposed to mafia/wolves being caught by playing guess the narrator or otherwise attempting to break the game.

The game will be especially difficult for the village team if they don't bother to think about the game too deeply, or if they fail to play the game at all. However, the narrator promises that he will follow his own rules, present a fair and balanced game which should be enjoyable, always under the assumption that most players show up and play the game.

The game will be winnable for all sides, including third parties, and the narrator is honest. The Narrator is human and mistakes do happen, but they are exceedingly rare and are always corrected when pointed out.

This game should appeal to players of this forum who just want to have fun and read an interesting story, and the more competitive types who play the game of mafia because they love to find wolves or confuse villagers.

Minimum requirements: (Definitely read before signing up)

Spoiler: You must be at least this tall to ride this ride
    Show
    If you sign up to play, there are minimum playing requirements. If you are a role with night actions and you fail to use them, you may be replaced from the game (after you have been reminded to use those actions and continue to fail to use them). The game is balanced under the assumption players with special powers attempt to use such powers. You may have teammates relying on you, so don't let them down.

If you sign up to play, there are minimum posting requirements. While you are not required to vote every single day, you are required to post once per Day Phase to indicate you are still playing. This can be as simple as saying that you are here, using the minimum number of letters required by the forum's software. If you fail to do so three times over the course of the entire game, without letting the game host know that you might be absent, you may be replaced at the host's discretion. To avoid such a thing, communicate with the game host to avoid such a fate. Unexcused absences will not be allowed.

However, there are also minimum voting requirements. If you fail to vote two days in a row, you will be expelled from the game by whichever manner the game host decides. There is no way to avoid this fate, not even by asking to be excused. You may be replaced or simply removed. Nothing personal, just business. If you foresee being unable to simply post or vote during any 2-day stretch during this game, which is an incredible length of time (3 days per day phase, plus an additional 3 days for the next day phase) then your schedule simply doesn't allow you to reasonably participate and you should not sign up.

While forum gaming is a casual experience for most, if you were to sit down and play a game of monopoly with your friends every weekend, and chose to leave the game mid-game every weekend, they will stop inviting you to play at some point. Please remember the game is a time investment of both the other players and the narrator, and signing up to play and intentionally not playing is frowned upon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

UPDATE: Added section to the rulebook about advance voting and night actions for players who anticipate an absence in the late middle of the game or later.

Day Six arbitrary minimum time frame for such actions, no earlier. If this is unacceptable, talk to me privately.

Advance Day Votes:

Spoiler: Rules
    Show
    Step One: post in the public game thread the specific dates that you anticipate being absent for. This will be mandatory, because every player needs to be reasonably aware that you won't be able to respond to questioning, but will still be considered an active player, with active votes, and active night actions, and so therefore need to consider that as part of THEIR decision-making process.

Step Two: Send me a Private Message of the list of currently living players, and post everyone's names in the order you wish to vote them- if they are alive, you will vote for your top candidate. If they are not, you move on to number 2 instead, and so on.

• For this to be legally accepted, you must include the name of every single player in the game that is alive.

• For the purposes of being faithful to your team, especially in an endgame situation, you are not allowed to self-vote. I will skip your name, wherever it is, on your list, and move on to the next. No exceptions.

Sample: Nonayer anticipates being absent on Day Eleven. He sends me the following list:

13 living players left.

1. Rain Dragon
    2. bladescape
    3. Ramsus
    4. Helgraf
    5. Aric_Kale
    6. Alarra
    7. Duck999
    8. Aventine
    9. Elemental
    10. Zar Peter
    11. Random_person
    12. Disc Lorde
    13. Nonayer
    In this example, Nonayer would be indicating to me that he intends to vote for Rain Dragon if said player is still alive, then bladescape if not, then Ramsus, and so on.

If he put his name as number 7, I'd skip his name and go to number 8 instead.

For transparency purposes, all advance voting is locked in and publicly announced at the start of the game day by the Narrator.

At the opening of the Day, the Narrator will note that Nonayer is voting for Rain Dragon and that this vote is locked in and cannot change.

That way everyone knows what Nonayer's vote is, and that it cannot move.

Advance Night Actions:

Show
    Step One: post in the public game thread the specific dates that you anticipate being absent for. This will be mandatory, because every player needs to be reasonably aware that you won't be able to respond to questioning, but will still be considered an active player, with active votes, and active night actions, and so therefore need to consider that as part of THEIR decision-making process.

Step Two: Send me a Private Message of the list of currently living players, and post everyone's names in the order you wish to use your action on them- if they are alive, you will use your action on that player, if not, you move on to the next player, and so on.

• For this to be legally accepted, you must include the name of every single player in the game that is alive.

13 living players left.

1. Rain Dragon
    2. bladescape
    3. Ramsus
    4. Helgraf
    5. Aric_Kale
    6. Alarra
    7. Duck999
    8. Aventine
    9. Elemental
    10. Zar Peter
    11. Random_person
    12. Disc Lorde
    13. Nonayer
    In this sample, Nonayer the Protagonist Baner is telling me to Bane Rain Dragon, if there's no more Rain Dragon, to bane bladescape, and so on.

You are allowed to target yourself with any action except a scry or a killing action.
    Last edited by Alarra; 2014-08-08 at 07:48 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Re: Toy Story Mafia: Playthings wanted

I will play.

I was outzombied by the baby!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Amotis View Post
    Alarra ate all my awesome and now she's always acknowledged as awe-inspiring awesome. Alliteration aside, Alarra is awesome.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I am so totally in for this. Question: does "do not reveal quicktopics" mean that we can't give links to them, or that we're not allowed to reveal their existence?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sorry, I couldn't be bothered to read the Minimum requirements but I still want to be in...

Will read it when I have more time.

Nevertheless: IN!!!
    Avatar by the great Lord Herman. Many, many thanks!
    Empress Catherine by Dr. Bath!
    Castaras made the PiratZarrrrr. Thank you very much!
    Special thanks to Banjo1985 for the Catstronomer.

Squid Bones: They exist!

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

I see I have been ninja'ed already. I meant to post additional game-related posts after the opening post, but all new threads require approval. No bother, this post will keep track of who has signed up for this game, and I will edit it with current information as things change.

I see I also already have a question, and I will specifically do a FAQ post after this post, to keep track of all publicly asked questions and answers.

If you have questions you'd prefer to ask privately, I may still answer them publicly while keeping your identity a secret, unless you specifically ask me to keep the answer hidden.

Game sign-up sheet: [ 45 / 45 ]

1 Alarra
    2 Disc Lorde
    3 Zar Peter
    4 Aventine
    5 Rain Dragon
    6 Helgraf
    7 Random_person
    8 Nonayer
    9 bladescape
    10 Ramsus
    11 Duck999
    12 Elemental
    13 Aric_Kale
    14 Chessgeek
    15 BasketOfPuppies
    16 Murska
    17 Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
    18 Legato Endless
    19 DukeGod
    20 Saposhiente
    21 EmeraldRose
    22 Lex-Kat
    23 Mangosta71
    24 Count Dingdong
    25 Yumori123
    26 The Fiery Tower
    27 Mordokai
    28 Banjo1985
    29 Tasroth
    30 Eldritch Knight
    -------------------------Minimum player requirement
    31 Penguinator
    32 Diana Abnoba (org)
    33 Meta
    34 Zweisteine
    35 otakuryoga
    36 TBFProgrammer
    37 Cuthalion
    38 Sprig (CFC)
    39 firedaemon33
    40 Yaropolk (org)
    41 Tanar Aerdoth
    42 Zack (CFC)
    43 Autolycus (CFC)
    44 Jarema (CFC)
    45 smuchmuch

Replacement Reserve Players

1 Fleeing Coward
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 2014-05-24 at 02:00 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Being killed in Typical means I should have plenty of time for this. In.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Frequently Asked Questions

Q1: Does "do not reveal quicktopics" mean that we can't give links to them, or that we're not allowed to reveal their existence?

Spoiler: Answer
    Show
    A1: I will amend the rules to include the specifics regarding quicktopics. Specifically:

(a) You may never, ever give out the links to anyone, until the game is over or ruled dead by the Narrator. Infringing this rule is an automatic disqualification and Wrath of Mrs. Davis (WoMD).

(b) You may not copy and paste information from said quicktopic. Unlike quoting your role PM, the quicktopic is privileged information and nothing from there can be copy and pasted, you may only paraphrase. Most importantly, if this rule is accidentally broken, including formatting information from the quicktopic such as THIS:

Quote Originally Posted by Post 4696 of Askthepizzaguy's CFC Mafia discussion quicktopic
    choxorn
    05-11-2014
    12:43 AM ET (US)
    But Zack, there are no girls on the internet!
    This is extremely forbidden. Posting such formatting from the quicktopic is an automatic disqualification and Wrath of Game host, because this is almost the same as a screenshot, in my opinion.

It is difficult to spend a lot of time forging a quicktopic and such a tactic is rarely used, so I consider quoting from the quicktopic to be the same as having given out the link. Both result in an automatic DQ and Wrath of Mrs. Davis (WoMD). This action is too breaking for me to allow.

(c) You are allowed to simply announce publicly that you have a quicktopic with someone. This may be true or false, both are legal. But quoting from said topic or linking it is totally banned.

(d) You may paraphrase what information is inside the topic, and re-word what people said in there using your own words.

Q2: I assume that "The narrator is honest" means that there will be no roles such as Classic's Fool?

Spoiler: Answer
    Show
    A2: Actually, you can expect variations on that particular theme.

Just because I say someone is a night action blocker, that doesn't mean they are. Someone can be a "Naive Roleblocker" for example, and their blocking efforts do nothing even though they are told they are a Roleblocker.

Figuring out whether you're a Naive Roleblocker is probably as simple as asking someone if they noticed being roleblocked on a night you targeted them.

This is meant to balance the large number of village powers and prevent brute force solves.

However, things like the reveal upon death, the rulebook and description of the game setup, or the victory conditions you are given, or the events that take place within the narration, are guaranteed to be true, or the game is broken and I expect no one to ever want to play another game of mine here. I wouldn't do that to you guys.

There are some hosts out there who do not present an honest game to the players, for the purposes of either trolling or to entertain people who apparently enjoy such things. You may not be familiar with such hosting styles, but rest assured, this isn't one of them, and outside of labeling the game as experimental and/or identifying the Narrator as unreliable, I don't approve of such hosting behaviors.

This is not experimental in that way and the Narrator is reliable, with the exception of powers which may have unreliable results (scries and "naive" powers) or when faced with the effects of immunities, may not perform as expected.

Immunity to being broken, just as one example. Some roles cannot be broken and are thus immune.

Quote Originally Posted by BasketOfPuppies View Post
    So you've said both that the narrator will be honest and you aren't big on honesty. I'm smelling a contradiction bubbling up...
    The contradiction is in my role. As a player, I need to be dishonest when I am a mafioso, and I might find a need to be dishonest as a townsperson. As a Narrator, I need to be up-front about everything I intend to be honest or dishonest about.

The only instances of unreliability in this game come from your roles themselves, in terms of is your power having the intended and proper effect. Your team, your victory conditions, and so forth, are reliable, and you can rely on the rules and narration.
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 2014-05-12 at 09:05 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd like to play too.
    I go by they/them/their or he/him/his pronouns

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Just to make perfectly sure I understand, you are allowed to paraphrase what people said in a quicktopic (or what you claim they said), right?

10. - Top - End - #10

I should like to play this.
    Catatar made for me many years ago ... pretty sure by banjo1985
    Werewolf Awards: 'Best Narration: Helgraf'
    Rabbit says stuff that makes me blush.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Disc Lorde View Post
    Just to make perfectly sure I understand, you are allowed to paraphrase what people said in a quicktopic (or what you claim they said), right?
    Yes. You are allowed to say what you like in your own words. You can claim someone said something, and it can be true or false.

Linking or copy-pasting or copying formatting (post numbers, the spacing of the quicktopic, time and date of the post, and so forth) does not sparkle sunshine. (Barred by the rules).

Edit: I just added amendment (d) to Answer 1 to reflect this.
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 2014-05-12 at 01:15 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Signing up.
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

I'm always extremely careful to hedge myself against absolute statements.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

A rather impressive level of interest so far.

Askthepizzaguy is cautiously optimistic.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I'm in this game should be interesting.

15. - Top - End - #15

I'll bite.
    "Trust bladescape, Shadow of Doubt,"

My almighty and all knowing extended Signature lies HERE! Now includes awesome quotes!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

I'm in, but I think your rule about kicking people out if they miss two votes in a row might cause us to lose a few players we normally wouldn't. People can't predict the future and things come up. I'm not sure you should be penalizing people who actually can be bothered to warn us ahead of time when they know they won't be able to be around. There's nothing wrong with you asking people not to sign up if they know now they will end up in such a situation, but it strikes me as unreasonable to set things up so that we lose players if they have some kind of sudden personal matter to take care of and still are polite enough to give us warning.

This might not be an issue in other mafia communities, but with a game this size we're almost certainly going to have 2-3 autolynches without such a rule already. This rule could very easily bump us up to 4-6, which would probably have a fairly large impact.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    I'm in, but I think your rule about kicking people out if they miss two votes in a row might cause us to lose a few players we normally wouldn't. People can't predict the future and things come up. I'm not sure you should be penalizing people who actually can be bothered to warn us ahead of time when they know they won't be able to be around. There's nothing wrong with you asking people not to sign up if they know now they will end up in such a situation, but it strikes me as unreasonable to set things up so that we lose players if they have some kind of sudden personal matter to take care of and still are polite enough to give us warning.

This might not be an issue in other mafia communities, but with a game this size we're almost certainly going to have 2-3 autolynches without such a rule already. This rule could very easily bump us up to 4-6, which would probably have a fairly large impact.
    Thought about this particular issue for quite a while. Believe me, it's one of the very top concerns I have. I felt like I might not be able to even host this game if the auto-lynches get absurd.

So I'll share a bit of my thinking:

Weighed instances of this happening (rarely will someone suddenly be absent for precisely a week and a day, [72 hours + 48 hours + 72 hours] and then suddenly be completely fine to continue playing thereafter) against the impact of two missed day and night phases from that role and its powers (if any) as it stands, and compared that to the continued probable loss of that role and its powers (if any) for the foreseeable future of the game, versus potentially replacing such a player who is totally inactive for 8 straight RL days.

I feel the team which loses such a player and role for 2 straight days and a night will do better most of the time if the player and role are potentially replaced in by reserve players.

If something so drastic and unplanned impacts a player, this game is the least of their concerns anyway.

Not unwilling to budge on this point (Feedback is always taken seriously ) but the length of absence in question, versus the quite likelihood of further absence thereafter, coupled with the likely benefit to the team in question by replacing them with someone more active, I feel, outweighs the potential loss of that player.

I do intend to have reservists on standby, to favor replacing inactive players rather than auto-lynching them, designed to lessen the very real impact auto-lynches have on game play.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Well, at least you've given it serious thought.

Not sure where you're gonna be pulling reserve players from in a 30+ player game though.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    Well, at least you've given it serious thought.

Not sure where you're gonna be pulling reserve players from in a 30+ player game though.
    Spoiler
    Show
    *foreboding laughter*

Spoiler
    Show
    We have reserves.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going to try to keep this game as pure a Giant In The Playground forum game as possible, out of respect for this board's unique culture and player base, but your humble/deranged Narrator has a sizable group of highly experienced werewolf players just a PM away.

I don't want to go there yet, but it's in my back pocket.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Iiiiinnnnnn!
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.

21. - Top - End - #21

Damn, minimum requirements ARE tough.

Well, I'm on holidays on a ship without internet from July, 6th till July, 18th. Well, not all the time on a ship, we're visiting Rome 2 days after the cruise but still, it's a long time. And I definitely don't take my laptop with me and as much as I would like to sit the two days in Rome in an internet cafe I doubt my family will be pleased with me if I do so. If this is too long I have to resign sadly.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

I shall join.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

23. - Top - End - #23

I'm only in...four games, I think. In.
    Sigatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Zane and Aric by Recaiden. Aric Kat by Hatter.

Nexus Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler: FFRP Newbie Links
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zar Peter View Post
    Damn, minimum requirements ARE tough.

Well, I'm on holidays on a ship without internet from July, 6th till July, 18th. Well, not all the time on a ship, we're visiting Rome 2 days after the cruise but still, it's a long time. And I definitely don't take my laptop with me and as much as I would like to sit the two days in Rome in an internet cafe I doubt my family will be pleased with me if I do so. If this is too long I have to resign sadly.
    Zar, July 6th is far enough away in advance that it is likely you lynch or get murdered by then.

If not, I will accept night actions in advance, and maybe we can work something out in terms of putting in your vote in advance.

Of more concern would be if you basically know that you will miss like Day two and Day three, which would happen soon. If you are potentially AWOL by Day Ten, it's less of a pressing matter because lynches and murders could realistically remove you before then anyway.

In your case, and cases similar to this, please discuss with me, and we'll work something out. It sounds to me like you'll be quite available for the bulk of the opening and middlegame.

I mainly need people available during the month of June. I hope to begin this game as soon as the date on the calendar allows it, which is the 19th of May, 1 week from today.

I project we will be at Day Ten or so by July 6th, unless we get delayed repeatedly.

In any case, Zar, I want you in, especially considering the rather distant time frame of your potential absence.

- - - Updated - - -

So this also goes for anyone else who projects issues with their schedule come July.

I need your calendars to be open during June.

By July, you'll have a fairly good enough read on what you believe that you'll know how you want to vote or what actions you want to send in, and I'll be flexible and allow such things to be sent in in advance, secretly, via Private Message to the game host.
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 2014-05-12 at 10:35 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25

Then it's an definite in. Thank you and I'm eager to play

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Section on Advance Voting and Night Actions

I do want my minimum play requirements to be tough, because this is an involved game.

Situations like Zar Peter's situation aren't, though, what I'm trying to resolve with the minimum play requirements.

Those requirements are designed to assist a team which is missing a player completely, and may never get them back in time for it to matter to the outcome of the game.

Sudden extended total absences which you can't plan for, and which may not resolve quickly- those are what I'm gunning at. Those situations can't easily be resolved by sending in orders in advance, and the player's team in question would be better off with a replacement player.

Zar Peter's situation, and similar situations, would much more favorably be resolved, for both the player, his or her team, and the Narrator, by simply sending in advance orders.

So, I'll add a section for advance orders, etc, to be flexible.

I still want folks to plan on being present for the game beginning and most of the middle of the game, because it is likely that events will occur during that time frame that you want to be present for, and will affect your decision-making process. Foresee an absence much later on, we'll work something out.

Talk to me. The requirements may be tough, but we're reasonable people and we can find solutions to situations that the minimum requirements aren't meant to disqualify you for.

I'd like folks to not need to send in such advance orders and votes for an unreasonably extensive time frame, and I don't want this to happen too early in the game.

You'd really want to be active and present until at least Day Six, to set an arbitrary minimum.

Advance Day Votes:

Show

Step Two: Send me a Private Message of the list of currently living players, and post everyone's names in the order you wish to vote them- if they are alive, you will vote for your top candidate. If they are not, you move on to number 2 instead, and so on.

• For the purposes of being faithful to your team, especially in an endgame situation, you are not allowed to self-vote. I will skip your name, wherever it is, on your list, and move on to the next. No exceptions.

Sample: Nonayer anticipates being absent on Day Eleven. He sends me the following list:

13 living players left.

1. Rain Dragon
    2. bladescape
    3. Ramsus
    4. Helgraf
    5. Aric_Kale
    6. Alarra
    7. Duck999
    8. Aventine
    9. Elemental
    10. Zar Peter
    11. Random_person
    12. Disc Lorde
    13. Nonayer
    In this example, Nonayer would be indicating to me that he intends to vote for Rain Dragon if said player is still alive, then bladescape if not, then Ramsus, and so on.

If he put his name as number 7, I'd skip his name and go to number 8 instead.

For transparency purposes, all advance voting is locked in and publicly announced at the start of the game day by the Narrator.

At the opening of the Day, the Narrator will note that Nonayer is voting for Rain Dragon and that this vote is locked in and cannot change.

That way everyone knows what Nonayer's vote is, and that it cannot move.

Advance Night Actions:

Show

Step Two: Send me a Private Message of the list of currently living players, and post everyone's names in the order you wish to use your action on them- if they are alive, you will use your action on that player, if not, you move on to the next player, and so on.

13 living players left.

1. Rain Dragon
    2. bladescape
    3. Ramsus
    4. Helgraf
    5. Aric_Kale
    6. Alarra
    7. Duck999
    8. Aventine
    9. Elemental
    10. Zar Peter
    11. Random_person
    12. Disc Lorde
    13. Nonayer
    In this sample, Nonayer the Protagonist Baner is telling me to Bane Rain Dragon, if there's no more Rain Dragon, to bane bladescape, and so on.

You are allowed to target yourself with any action except a scry or a killing action.

Will add this to the opening post rulebook.

Fair solution, no?
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 2014-05-12 at 11:09 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

In that case I'm fine with being in, I'll PM to confirm when I get home.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nice. Sign ups have been open for only half a day, and we're already essentially halfway to the 30 player minimum.

There are some players I am already familiar with who I intend to specifically invite if they don't sign up.

If you don't get an invitation it's probably because I have yet to play a game with you before on this site.

Please feel free to decline an invite for any reason or none.

EDIT: The post below this one makes it 15. Halfway there in half a day. Sweet.

|
    |
    \/
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 2014-05-12 at 11:49 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Sure, I'll join.

Extended Sig

Quote Originally Posted by Duck999 View Post
    Christmas starts when Halloween ends, Halloween starts after New Year. The only part of the year that isn't a holiday is between Christmas and December 31st.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

I kind of want to sit back and wait to see if I get an invitation, but I'm having problems noticing when my PM box fills up with the new forum layout, so I'll just state outright that of course I'm playing.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.