New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Toy Story Mafia: Playthings wanted

Quote Originally Posted by Murska View Post
    I kind of want to sit back and wait to see if I get an invitation, but I'm having problems noticing when my PM box fills up with the new forum layout, so I'll just state outright that of course I'm playing.
    Your name and Basket's name were both on my list of invitations, but you both signed up before I had a chance to locate everyone I intend to PM.

I am going to invite a couple of the active/roleplaying folks from the Penguinator game, even though I have basically zero experience playing with them. Just based on their participation levels and enthusiasm I already know I want to have them here.

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking of inbox-full related issues, I thought of a nifty idea to help assist with communication between the host and each individual player.

The premise is, a quicktopic for all players of this game, which is not for chatting in- it simply is there to post game-wide announcements such as phase extensions, emergencies, or inbox full messages.

That way, even if your inbox gets full, the game host can still contact you via email due to your being subscribed to the quicktopic.

Simply click "get email" and choose to receive messages instantly any time someone posts there.

Because of that suggestion, I am asking all players to refrain from posting anything in that quicktopic that is not an announcement of an emergency, an inbox full message, or something similar. No chit-chat, jokes, or spam please.

There will be other, far more glorious quicktopics for such fooling around.

Host-player communication quicktopic link

I am asking but not requiring every player to click that link and choose "get email" and subscribe via email instantly any time someone posts, and then to basically never post there again unless it's official business.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins's Avatar

The message that once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed; my choices are my own. And yet, how ironic... for now I find that I have no choice at all. I am a warrior... let the battle be joined.

Yes, I'll play. I was planning to when you spoke of it in the Pub thread, but it was nice to be personally invited like that.
    The above post sponsored by Fullbladder Manufacturing.
    And so begins the Age of Extinction! The Year of the Dinosaurs! And the Reign of the Predacons!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar Credit: Kalirush, Lord Herman, Stoneburr, Simius Dr. Bath, Abardam, Fayt, Keris Rain, The Extinguisher, Qwernt, Kwarkpudding, Tiffanie Lirle, Djinn in Tonic, Coplantor, Crown of Thorns, and many more
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Festy View Post
    Fullbladder's awesome.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zar Peter View Post
    Damn, minimum requirements ARE tough.

Well, I'm on holidays on a ship without internet from July, 6th till July, 18th. Well, not all the time on a ship, we're visiting Rome 2 days after the cruise but still, it's a long time. And I definitely don't take my laptop with me and as much as I would like to sit the two days in Rome in an internet cafe I doubt my family will be pleased with me if I do so. If this is too long I have to resign sadly.
    Sarcasm Zar? Rome's internet cafe's weren't anything to write home about when I last there, and certainly nothing compared to…pretty much anything else you could be doing. Although I suppose you do get to avoid the tourist hawkers, who are pretty obnoxious, if still better than Pisa.

Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy View Post
    Zar, July 6th is far enough away in advance that it is likely you lynch or get murdered by then.
    That's oddly comforting but still unsettling with Pizzaguy's new avatar.
    Speaking of inbox-full related issues, I thought of a nifty idea to help assist with communication between the host and each individual player.

The premise is, a quicktopic for all players of this game, which is not for chatting in- it simply is there to post game-wide announcements such as phase extensions, emergencies, or inbox full messages.

That way, even if your inbox gets full, the game host can still contact you via email due to your being subscribed to the quicktopic.
    This idea is brilliant and I love you forever. Ahem, err, yes. *mumbles seething hatred about his pm box hosting a paltry 100 messages total*

Speaking of pm boxes being full and scheduling, I have a wedding on the 24th. The chain of events will likely induce sizable pandemonium from the 21st through the 24th, and with possible exhaustion sapping participation on the 25th. I can likely make everything up to the 21st work, and rouse myself to the 25th or 26th. As such, I'm not sure if I fulfill the requirements for joining. If not, I'll volunteer to be a replacement for subsequent events.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Sarcasm Zar? Rome's internet cafe's weren't anything to write home about when I last there, and certainly nothing compared to…pretty much anything else you could be doing. Although I suppose you do get to avoid the tourist hawkers, who are pretty obnoxious, if still better than Pisa.
    Well, I'm on a cruise to Naples, Palma, Barcelona, Marseille and Savona and I'm pretty sure my wife and all the others want to go sightseeing there and AFTER that we have two days in Rome. And my perfect holiday contains at least 5 7 (I said perfect) days lying on the beach reading books. So... HORROR!

But well, at least it's not going to hurt this game
    Avatar by the great Lord Herman. Many, many thanks!
    Empress Catherine by Dr. Bath!
    Castaras made the PiratZarrrrr. Thank you very much!
    Special thanks to Banjo1985 for the Catstronomer.

Squid Bones: They exist!

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zar Peter View Post
    Well, I'm on a cruise to Naples, Palma, Barcelona, Marseille and Savona and I'm pretty sure my wife and all the others want to go sightseeing there and AFTER that we have two days in Rome. And my perfect holiday contains at least 5 7 (I said perfect) days lying on the beach reading books. So... HORROR!

But well, at least it's not going to hurt this game
    Ah gotcha. That makes perfect sense then. Being outside with a stack of books is divine. However I'm basically your foil. My philosophy with travel vacations is to at no point being lying anywhere doing something I could replicate at home. I was the guy who memorized the transit schedule so that I wouldn't have to be stuck idling somewhere with nothing to do.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Soooo... we don't actually get to know what roles are in the game before we start playing it?
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll join in
    No preview of power roles huh. Well that certainly can be fun

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Speaking of pm boxes being full and scheduling, I have a wedding on the 24th. The chain of events will likely induce sizable pandemonium from the 21st through the 24th, and with possible exhaustion sapping participation on the 25th. I can likely make everything up to the 21st work, and rouse myself to the 25th or 26th. As such, I'm not sure if I fulfill the requirements for joining. If not, I'll volunteer to be a replacement for subsequent events.
    A Day Phase is 3 days. It would seem you'd only miss a day phase at the most, perhaps 1 day and 1 night? That is acceptable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mordokai View Post
    Soooo... we don't actually get to know what roles are in the game before we start playing it?
    I prefer to run closed setups, because that allows the mafia team to create any role or lie that they wish and have it still be plausible.

Spoiler
    Show
    Or, for that matter, for the town team to create any role or lie that they wish. As y'all know, I'm not big on honesty regardless of team.

I'd hate to lose out on any player because of that...

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Mmm. Alright. Joining.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

So we're 2/3 of the way there and it's been less than 24 hours, and I haven't reached into my back pocket yet.

I'm feelin' it. I'm feelin' the love.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Barbarian in the Playground

In.
    I will be on vacation between June 12th and 20th, but should have some internet access during this period.
    I assume that "The narrator is honest" means that there will be no roles such as Classic's Fool?
    Last edited by Saposhiente; 2014-05-12 at 08:13 PM.

Technical Admin of the Minecraft server. Whitelist is here; put your name there and post it in the thread.
    The overly long monstrosity that is my extended signature lies here.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Grue Bait View Post
    Good game, guys. Sapo, you are just too good for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    And by the way, your puzzle was one of the most interesting ones I've solved in a while. Kudos.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

I would like to join this game, if I may.
    Long live the Ceikatar!

Here Be Dragons

13. - Top - End - #43
    Halfling in the Playground

So you've said both that the narrator will be honest and you aren't big on honesty. I'm smelling a contradiction bubbling up...

Extended Sig

Quote Originally Posted by Duck999 View Post
    Christmas starts when Halloween ends, Halloween starts after New Year. The only part of the year that isn't a holiday is between Christmas and December 31st.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saposhiente View Post
    In.
    I will be on vacation between June 12th and 20th, but should have some internet access during this period.
    I assume that "The narrator is honest" means that there will be no roles such as Classic's Fool?
    Actually, you can expect variations on that particular theme.

Just because I say someone is a night action blocker, that doesn't mean they are. Someone can be a "Naive Roleblocker" for example, and their blocking efforts do nothing even though they are told they are a Roleblocker.

Figuring out whether you're a Naive Roleblocker is probably as simple as asking someone if they noticed being roleblocked on a night you targeted them.

This is meant to balance the large number of village powers and prevent brute force solves.

However, things like the reveal upon death, the rulebook and description of the game setup, or the victory conditions you are given, or the events that take place within the narration, are guaranteed to be true, or the game is broken and I expect no one to ever want to play another game of mine here. I wouldn't do that to you guys.

There are some hosts out there who do not present an honest game to the players, for the purposes of either trolling or to entertain people who apparently enjoy such things. You may not be familiar with such hosting styles, but rest assured, this isn't one of them, and outside of labeling the game as experimental and/or identifying the Narrator as unreliable, I don't approve of such hosting behaviors.

This is not experimental in that way and the Narrator is reliable, with the exception of powers which may have unreliable results (scries and "naive" powers) or when faced with the effects of immunities, may not perform as expected.

Immunity to being broken, just as one example. Some roles cannot be broken and are thus immune.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BasketOfPuppies View Post
    So you've said both that the narrator will be honest and you aren't big on honesty. I'm smelling a contradiction bubbling up...
    The contradiction is in my role. As a player, I need to be dishonest when I am a mafioso, and I might find a need to be dishonest as a townsperson. As a Narrator, I need to be up-front about everything I intend to be honest or dishonest about.

The only instances of unreliability in this game come from your roles themselves, in terms of is your power having the intended and proper effect. Your team, your victory conditions, and so forth, are reliable, and you can rely on the rules and narration.

Excellent question, by the way, adding this to the FAQ post.
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 2014-05-12 at 08:56 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

Not sure if I can play this. I mean, how am I supposed to lynch PizzaGuy, when he's Mrs. Davis?

In.

Lexington III, my Brute. Inner Circle. ! Melody

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lex-Kat View Post
    Not sure if I can play this. I mean, how am I supposed to lynch PizzaGuy, when he's Mrs. Davis?

In.
    I promise to continue playing other games in which you have the opportunity to kill me in the most brutal and satisfying ways.

What a fantastic player list so far. This is like my dream team. I'm missing several more people I definitely want in, but I'm happy to have gotten so many of these names.
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 2014-05-12 at 09:08 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47

I promise to continue playing other games in which you have the opportunity to kill me in the most brutal and satisfying ways.

What a fantastic player list so far. This is like my dream team. I'm missing several more people I definitely want in, but I'm happy to have gotten so many of these names.
    I'm honored.
    Sigatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Zane and Aric by Recaiden. Aric Kat by Hatter.

Nexus Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler: FFRP Newbie Links
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48

I'd like to mention that for advance night actions where you can target yourself, there's no point in putting anyone below yourself on the list because if you're dead then it doesn't matter whom you're targeting, seeing as you can't use actions while dead. Right?

Technical Admin of the Minecraft server. Whitelist is here; put your name there and post it in the thread.
    The overly long monstrosity that is my extended signature lies here.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Grue Bait View Post
    Good game, guys. Sapo, you are just too good for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    And by the way, your puzzle was one of the most interesting ones I've solved in a while. Kudos.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'd like to mention that for advance night actions where you can target yourself, there's no point in putting anyone below yourself on the list because if you're dead then it doesn't matter whom you're targeting, seeing as you can't use actions while dead. Right?

Stop being more clever than me!

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

I'll give this a whirl.
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Count Dingdong
    Guest in the Playground

Now that I'm not working furiously on a final paper (I was able to finish just under an hour before the deadline ), I can finally start replying to everything on this forum again!

I prefer to run closed setups, because that allows the mafia team to create any role or lie that they wish and have it still be plausible.

Spoiler
    Show
    Or, for that matter, for the town team to create any role or lie that they wish. As y'all know, I'm not big on honesty regardless of team.

I'd hate to lose out on any player because of that...
    Hmm... I have a feeling you'd have some fun at the game I'm running right now! [shamelessadvertising]Careless Investigation[/shamelessadvertising]

...and on that same notion, if you're never going to count a self-vote, do you need to include yourself on the list for day votes?

Oh, and I guess I haven't yet said. Count me in!

22. - Top - End - #52
    Pixie in the Playground

In..................
    Hello there, fine sir~! I am Yumori.

Yu-mo-ree

Spoiler: Hello
    Show
    there.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

So, we have a guy named Count sign up, followed by a guy named Yumori123.

COINCIDENCE? I THINK NOT!

24. - Top - End - #54

I can feel summer break already from this side of finals.

In.
    Thanks goes to Vampire Pumpkin for my awesome avatar!

Formerly known as The Fiery Tower Formerly known as Catseye2121.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

((Testing something.))

I continually get unsubscribed to threads. I think I found the problem.

Somehow, the default option when I reply to certain threads is subscribe to this thread, but the option is moved to "Through my control panel only" instead of the proper option, which is instantly via email.

If I reply to every subscribed thread using the proper option, it's possible that the board will remember this setting every time I reply, which would solve the problem for each thread with a one-time solution.

If this works, this will help other members having the same problem. I remember Tanar Aerdoth reporting a similar problem.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

I guess I'll join then.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

I am, of course, in! I'm almost so in that I'm out again, but not quite.

Excellent Elan & Yoshi avatar by Mr Saturn

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'll give this a go. In.
    What do you mean "Dungeon Master" isn't a proper job?

Thanks to Thufir for the avatar.

D&D Characters Past and Present:
    Spoiler
    Show

The Honest Man (3.5 LG human fighter), Princess Kailee (4e Good elf cleric), Elric (4e Good human paladin)
    Talia Dakashnit (3.5 CE human fighter), Gabriel Stryfe (d20 Modern fast hero), Tacin Willow (3.5 NG human fighter//bard)

GitP Blood Bowl Legacy League - Season 3 recruiting

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

The minimum threshold of players will be met easily now. Still plenty of room, but I only have 45 roles even designed, so at this point, I'm warning folks that they may need to sign up before the maximum is reached...

In all seriousness, this ranks probably in my top 5 in terms of "large" games filling the quickest, so I'm honored and grateful. Will do my very best in terms of trying to host a fun game for you folks.

30. - Top - End - #60

And I'll try to play well.
    I think I'm getting the hang of things...(just don't look at Phantom Werewolf)
    Sigatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Zane and Aric by Recaiden. Aric Kat by Hatter.

Nexus Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler: FFRP Newbie Links
    Show