New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 48 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Toy Story Mafia: [In Play]- Game begins post 260

I'm pointing out the assumptions that were made, so that we can properly debate their accuracy.
    How does the existence of a baner stack up against all of those games? It's pretty clear that the all-vanilla games he did aren't good comparisons.
    I also believe that small games are worthy of comparison.
    Last edited by Saposhiente; 2014-06-01 at 02:39 PM.

Technical Admin of the Minecraft server. Whitelist is here; put your name there and post it in the thread.
    The overly long monstrosity that is my extended signature lies here.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Grue Bait View Post
    Good game, guys. Sapo, you are just too good for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    And by the way, your puzzle was one of the most interesting ones I've solved in a while. Kudos.

2. - Top - End - #752

So we're probably looking at more than one antagonist team then. It does seem a little off to me that it looks like we have at least one and probably more duplicated roles (judging by two people having the same oddly specific win conditions) but no seer. I suppose it would make "broken" a more relevant condition.

Edit: a word.
    Last edited by Meta; 2014-06-01 at 02:46 PM.
    Szilard has all of those sweet trophies for a reason. Awesome avatar is his handiwork.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Zack
    Guest in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saposhiente View Post
    I'm pointing out the assumptions that were made, so that we can properly debate their accuracy.
    How does the existence of a baner stack up against all of those games? It's pretty clear that the all-vanilla games he did aren't good comparisons.
    I also believe that small games are worthy of comparison.
    Baner is just a more powerful doctor, which is a completely different role. There is not a guilty/innocent type cop in this game, I guarantee it. ATPG hates them, and he never puts them in his games. Just because he's played here for a few months doesn't mean he will completely abandon his previous style of hosting in favor of the typical setups you see on this site. He may adapt, e.g. baner instead of doctor, but that's pretty minor. I'm sure there are scanners, but not ones that straight up tell you whether a person is town, mafia, neutral, third-party, or whatever.

The small games aren't really any different, and this game isn't small. If you want to look through the million small/mini games Pizza's hosted, be my guest.
    Last edited by Zack; 2014-06-01 at 02:56 PM.

4. - Top - End - #754
    Jarema
    Guest in the Playground

I suspect that in this game are either 2 anti-town factions, or 1 evil faction and not anti-town third party of significat strength (by anti-town factin I mean wolf team, or single killer, or a cult, or something else).

If there are two evil teams, I think they have like 2-3 players each. If there is one evil team, it will be 2-4 players. That is what I expect basing on earlier Pizza games.
    I also think there is no innocence/guilty scanner. And if there is, he is either a fool or naive one. I think there may be a role ore ability scanner, though.

And my comments and thoughts were with this expactations in mind. If this game is like this, it makes not much sense for a mafiat to sacrifice himself in order to kill power role.
    Of course, I may be wrong. But I never played mafia game with evil team bigger than 5 (not counting cults), and I only saw such a game once - but it did not count... it was my game in which ALL players were in one of four mafia teams, with the single exception of ATPG who was an innocence/guilty scanner (we call it a 'cop'). AND he hates scanners so much, that he refused to use his scanning ability in this game...

5. - Top - End - #755
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    So, I ask you: why are you making assumptions based on predictable setups or obvious designs?
    Your entire argument is based on what he has done in the past. If we want to avoid making assumptions based on predictable setups and obvious designs then I think we should avoid making assumptions based on what he has done in the past. I mean, what could be more obvious and predictable than that?

There is not a guilty/innocent type cop in this game, I guarantee it. ATPG hates them, and he never puts them in his games.
    You mean except for the games you listed where he included them? I'll accept that they were a while ago and his style may have changed, but saying ATPG never does something, after having just listed a couple instances of him doing exactly that is kinda funny.

Anyway, on the one hand you are arguing that we shouldn't expect the obvious and predictable. Then on the other hand you are saying ATPG never does X, therefore he clearly is not doing X now.

6. - Top - End - #756
    Troll in the Playground

More importantly. Are there roles that can tell which Buzz is lying? I expect so.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

7. - Top - End - #757
    Jarema
    Guest in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Murska View Post
    More importantly. Are there roles that can tell which Buzz is lying? I expect so.
    I hope so. I really hope for a 'role scanner' - person who can scan other toys and see their names.

Maybe there will be also person who can determine if target player is toy or not - we have one example of human, maybe there is more of them?
    maybe some of them are evil and some are not?

ok. there is possibility that there is guilty/innocent cop in this game, but only if there are, at the same time: (a) alpha werewolf, and (b) millers (town players who scan like wolves)

8. - Top - End - #758
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bladescape View Post
    Firedaemon
    That was mean and uncalled for, bladescape. Provide some logic, please. (And someone else, please provide me somewhere better to put my vote.)
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

I'm always extremely careful to hedge myself against absolute statements.

9. - Top - End - #759
    Zack
    Guest in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aventine View Post
    Your entire argument is based on what he has done in the past. If we want to avoid making assumptions based on predictable setups and obvious designs then I think we should avoid making assumptions based on what he has done in the past. I mean, what could be more obvious and predictable than that?

You mean except for the games you listed where he included them? I'll accept that they were a while ago and his style may have changed, but saying ATPG never does something, after having just listed a couple instances of him doing exactly that is kinda funny.

Anyway, on the one hand you are arguing that we shouldn't expect the obvious and predictable. Then on the other hand you are saying ATPG never does X, therefore he clearly is not doing X now.
    He hasn't put it in a cop in over five years, and he has repeatedly stated how he dislikes the role. And it's disingenuous of you to assert that snippet means ATPG will suddenly buck every hosting trend, it means to be on the lookout for unusual roles and mechanics, at least not predictable for this forum - it's more of an introduction to his hosting style, if anything. Besides, a cop is a boring, obvious, predictable role on this forum. It's one of the very most basic power roles. "Expect the unexpected" doesn't equivocate to "expect boring, basic roles that I haven't used in half a decade." But I bet you knew that, and were just being a smartbutt.
    Last edited by Zack; 2014-06-01 at 03:42 PM.

10. - Top - End - #760
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Meta View Post
    So we're probably looking at more than one antagonist team then. It does seem a little off to me that it looks like we have at least one and probably more duplicated roles (judging by two people having the same oddly specific win conditions) but no seer. I suppose it would make "broken" a more relevant condition.

Edit: a word.
    Possibly a doozy of a third party. I'm synthesizing with a hell of a lot less than our recent immigrants, but based off the Dinner Party and the archive binge I just did of Fall of the Order, Pizza is not averse to high risk high reward individual factions. Players who are completely screwed if detected…but wield powers beyond the ken of the town or mafia in proportion to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Random_person View Post
    That was mean and uncalled for, bladescape. Provide some logic, please. (And someone else, please provide me somewhere better to put my vote.)
    *nudge*

The night phase isn't over…
    Last edited by Legato Endless; 2014-06-01 at 03:41 PM.

11. - Top - End - #761
    Ogre in the Playground

Nonsense!

Piffle!

Poppycock!

*hides*
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

12. - Top - End - #762

Zack, if Buzz is the Baner and there is no Seer, what do you think is a probable role for Woody?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Meta View Post
    (judging by two people having the same oddly specific win conditions)
    If you're referring to Murska+TBFProgrammer, no they didn't. They just both mentioned Buzz.
    Last edited by Saposhiente; 2014-06-01 at 03:51 PM.

Technical Admin of the Minecraft server. Whitelist is here; put your name there and post it in the thread.
    Spoiler
    Show
    And by the way, your puzzle was one of the most interesting ones I've solved in a while. Kudos.

13. - Top - End - #763
    Zack
    Guest in the Playground

Zack, if Buzz is the Baner and there is no Seer, what do you think is a probable role for Woody?
    Vigilante, or a more limited cop (like a tracker or watcher). Or roleblocker. Who knows? There are plenty of abilities besides cop.

14. - Top - End - #764
    Titan in the Playground

Vigilante, or a more limited cop (like a tracker or watcher). Or roleblocker. Who knows? There are plenty of abilities besides cop.
    Just curious, how sure are you that there is no seer? Like, give me a percentage or something.

15. - Top - End - #765
    Jarema
    Guest in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by firedaemon33 View Post
    Just curious, how sure are you that there is no seer? Like, give me a percentage or something.
    seer, as in '100% accurate innocence vs. guilt scanner'?
    I am 99.9% sure there is not such a role. If I am mistaken, I will change my mental image of ATPG.

seer, as in 'innocence vs. guilt scanner, who can be screwed by other roles, like framer or alpha, or who is in fact a fool'?
    For me, there is like 50% chance there is such a role.
    Last edited by Jarema; 2014-06-01 at 04:07 PM.

16. - Top - End - #766
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

He hasn't put it in a cop in over five years, and he has repeatedly stated how he dislikes the role. And it's disingenuous of you to assert that snippet means ATPG will suddenly buck every hosting trend...
    It's disingenuous of me to point out that a quote by ATPG saying he avoids "predictable setups or obvious designs" and further that we should "expect the unexpected" means that we should be careful assuming that ATPG will do what could be reasonably expected from him? That predicting his choice of setup and design based on obvious analysis of his past behavior might not be wise? You read a quote saying to expect the unexpected and somehow interpret it as "expect the same thing I always do"?

Quote Originally Posted by zack
    it's more of an introduction to his hosting style, if anything.
    Ok, but let's take a step back and look at the entire quote:

Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy View Post
    The narrator Askthepizzaguy has a track record of making things difficult on the town/village team by avoiding predictable setups or obvious designs.
    The italics are mine. If the point is to make things more difficult for town/village by being unpredictable (which is how I read that, at least) then how exactly does being completely predictable make sense? He isn't saying "I do things differently than you guys may be used to, fair warning" he is saying "I like to be unpredictable to make the game more interesting and fun."

Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy
    These setups do not unfairly favor the mafia/werewolf team, but they generally mean you need to catch them by your own skills based on cases built by merit, as opposed to mafia/wolves being caught by playing guess the narrator or otherwise attempting to break the game.
    Oh, look at that (Italics mine again). So yes, it is an introduction to his hosting style. And a point that he though worthy of making explicit note of is that he designs things to make "guess the narrator" not work. And yet you insist that your "guess the narrator" reasoning is flawless.

Quote Originally Posted by Zack
    Besides, a cop is a boring, obvious, predictable role on this forum. It's one of the very most basic power roles. "Expect the unexpected" doesn't equivocate to "expect boring, basic roles that I haven't used in half a decade." But I bet you knew that, and were just being a smartbutt.
    But "expect the unexpected" does (shockingly) generally mean that we should expect the unexpected. You know, instead of the expected? Oh and are you really going to call me a smartass while being a huge one yourself?

17. - Top - End - #767

Aventine, take into account how different people have different expectations. For most people in this game, the expectation is to have a Seer.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #768
    Zack
    Guest in the Playground

What Jarrema said, basically. If there is a cop, which I doubt, there will definitely be limitations and ambiguity.

- - - Updated - - -

Aventine, take into account how different people have different expectations. For most people in this game, the expectation is to have a Seer.
    Yep. That line is addressed to members of this forum, not people who have been playing his games for years.

I'm also interested in the logical steps here:

1. "The narrator Askthepizzaguy has a track record of making things difficult on the town/village team"

2. ???

3. This game has a seer, the single most beneficial role to the town/village team. How difficult!

19. - Top - End - #769
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Fine, but he is taking a quote saying to expect the unexpected and trying to use it to justify his argument that ATPG will do exactly what he always does. Regardless of whether or not there is a seer that is bad logic. If he had simply said that games here usually have a seer, so we should expect there to not be one, that would make sense. Bringing in a bunch of evidence based on past ATPG games to show that he "never" uses a seer, then trying to argue that "expect the unexpected" means that we should expect ATPG to follow that usual pattern makes no sense.

EDIT:
    I'm also interested in the logical steps here:
    1. "The narrator Askthepizzaguy has a track record of making things difficult on the town/village team"
    2. ???
    3. This game has a seer, the single most beneficial role to the town/village team. How difficult!
    I never said I think there is a seer. I said I think your argument for there not being a seer is faulty. If you can find a single quote from me contradicting that I will concede the argument. But for now it feels like you are avoiding my argument by trying to counter something I never claimed. I believe you mentioned strawmen a while earlier?
    Last edited by Aventine; 2014-06-01 at 04:26 PM.

20. - Top - End - #770
    Zack
    Guest in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aventine View Post
    Fine, but he is taking a quote saying to expect the unexpected and trying to use it to justify his argument that ATPG will do exactly what he always does. Regardless of whether or not there is a seer that is bad logic. If he had simply said that games here usually have a seer, so we should expect there to not be one, that would make sense. Bringing in a bunch of evidence based on past ATPG games to show that he "never" uses a seer, then trying to argue that "expect the unexpected" means that we should expect ATPG to follow that usual pattern makes no sense.

EDIT:

I never said I think there is a seer. I said I think your argument for there not being a seer is faulty. If you can find a single quote from me contradicting that I will concede the argument. But for now it feels like you are avoiding my argument by trying to counter something I never claimed. I believe you mentioned strawmen a while earlier?
    Okay, so to be clear - this whole thing was just you being pedantic?

21. - Top - End - #771

Pedantic is a loaded word, and I don't think it's accurate here.

- - - Updated - - -

(He said, pedantically)

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #772
    Zack
    Guest in the Playground

Pedantic is a loaded word, and I don't think it's accurate here.

- - - Updated - - -

(He said, pedantically)
    What else would you call someone who spends that much effort quibbling over semantics?
    Last edited by Zack; 2014-06-01 at 04:29 PM.

23. - Top - End - #773

Also it seems that whenever you doublepost and it's automerged, if you're subscribed with instant email notifications it's reverted to control panel only, so watch out for that.

- - - Updated - - -

What else would you call someone who spends that much effort quibbling semantics?
    I say he's not quibbling semantics; I say he's attacking the logical connection in a lesser part of your argument.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #774
    Troll in the Playground

In a "no PM" game (such as this one), the seer is not nearly as beneficial because s/he can't build a network. I consider that to be a pretty big limitation. My question to those of you that know him, is that a big enough limitation that ATPG might have put one in this game?
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.

25. - Top - End - #775

No PMs is standard on many forums. Even without them, Seer is the most powerful standard role.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #776
    Ogre in the Playground

No PMs is standard on many forums. Even without them, Seer is the most powerful standard role.
    Between no PMs, cover roles, and naive roles, I'd be inclined to say that a baner is more use than a seer in this game. The seer can't start a network and can't be sure of their scry results even if there aren't any roles that specifically fool seers - which is a big assumption. The seer also can't necessarily be trusted when giving town their (uncertain) results, because cover roles are a thing, and even if their results are verified to be honest they can still be wrong.

Explain to me again how the seer is the best role?

27. - Top - End - #777

If you're referring to Murska+TBFProgrammer, no they didn't. They just both mentioned Buzz.
    Elemental and Murska.

I could see a limited seer that reveals only alignment, but given the high chance of a third party, it may be even more specific. Given how alignments are only revealed on non-broken lynches, I could see the 'seer' only learning something from broken or non-broken.

After reading what Legato mentioned about powerful roles in past games, I think one of the third party members (or just a wolf) could be Sid. He would make sense as a bulletproof serial killer if Duck is to be believed and from what I remember of the movie. He's mentioned in my character bio. NOT my secondary win condition, so it's a little more shaky, but his name is bolded. If we see more than one player consistently dropping dead each night, that'd be my guess. I suppose it would actually be more fitting if he broke them, though.
    Szilard has all of those sweet trophies for a reason. Awesome avatar is his handiwork.

28. - Top - End - #778

Quote Originally Posted by Random_person View Post
    Between no PMs, cover roles, and naive roles, I'd be inclined to say that a baner is more use than a seer in this game. The seer can't start a network and can't be sure of their scry results even if there aren't any roles that specifically fool seers - which is a big assumption. The seer also can't necessarily be trusted when giving town their (uncertain) results, because cover roles are a thing, and even if their results are verified to be honest they can still be wrong.

Explain to me again how the seer is the best role?
    Because you get fairly solid information, and that's at a premium. Baner usually doesn't actually save anyone more than once per game; their main use is as a passive discouragement from killing an outed Seer. Because of Baner's power level, unless there's a role more powerful than him (like the Seer) he's not often much better than a Bulletproof.

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #779
    Ogre in the Playground

Because you get fairly solid information, and that's at a premium. Baner usually doesn't actually save anyone more than once per game; their main use is as a passive discouragement from killing an outed Seer. Because of Baner's power level, unless there's a role more powerful than him (like the Seer) he's not often much better than a Bulletproof.
    Fairly solid, perhaps, but it's by no means certain even if there is exactly one seer who is not naive and no roles interfere with scries, because we can't know that.

30. - Top - End - #780

Don't rush for your certainty blanket. It's a lot smaller than you think it is, and it can't protect you.

In other words, just because something is uncertain doesn't mean it's not extremely useful.
    Last edited by Saposhiente; 2014-06-01 at 05:44 PM.

Spoiler
    Show