New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: MitD VIII: Everything we know about MITD (but were afraid Tarrasque)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    - causing an earthquake
    No. Using powers to achieve nothing doesn't give you XP. Otherwise, Munchkins would never stop casting cantrips

- learning Go
    No. If anything, that required using up skill points

- teleporting O-Chul
    No. Using powers to achieve nothing doesn't give you XP. Otherwise, Munchkins would never stop casting cantrips

- outsmarting Redcloak & Xykon
    Maybe, but probably not. We have seen people changing other people's minds, and it does not seem to have gained them XPs. The only non-combat XP gain was Belkars BS tearjerking tale of his difficult childhood.

Grey Wolf
    FWIW, as a DM I would have given a character playing the MitD XP for the latter two events. They don't require combat, per se, but they do require the application of power and/or a risky diplomatic move to achieve a very combat-related outcome.

I still agree that it's very unlikely the MitD is gaining levels in anything, though.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: MitD VIII: Everything we know about MITD (but were afraid Tarrasque)

In what way does the earthquake or the teleport 'achieve nothing'? It seems to me that they both achieve something.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    In what way does the earthquake or the teleport 'achieve nothing'? It seems to me that they both achieve something.
    The earthquake definitely doesn't achieve much. In general, XP is gained for defeating something, or overcoming some kind of challenge. With the earthquake, all he does is recapture O-Chul, which (while probably not nothing) isn't really worthy of an XP gain. With teleport, you could make a better case, but it still probably wouldn't be a whole lot of XP.

Peelee’s Lotsey

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Finally chiming in here. I miss the guy, hope we see him again soon.

My thoughts (which I'm sure have been asked and answered before, probably several times):

1) I don't have the books, so can't see the actual picture - but in the circus scene description it seems the females are the ones who find "him" beautiful. Maybe a creature with some sort of 'sexual/gender based' appearance or affect? Would explain why a child 'feels funny' if she isn't old enough to really process what's going on. Some of the male devil/demons come to mind, but they're out since they're 'embodiments' of evil and we know that MitD is "a good man".

2) The fine line. My first thought when I read that long ago now was that there might be some book out there where Rich has a monster (or something) published next to the entry that someone else wrote (which is the MitD), separated by a fine line.

3) The Go board is definitely Raccoon Mario. Definitely
    Last edited by mouser9169; 2014-08-10 at 11:55 AM.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mouser9169 View Post
    1) I don't have the books, so can't see the actual picture - but in the circus scene description it seems the females are the ones who find "him" beautiful. Maybe a creature with some sort of 'sexual/gender based' appearance or affect? Would explain why a child 'feels funny' if she isn't old enough to really process what's going on. Some of the male devil/demons come to mind, but they're out since they're 'embodiments' of evil and we know that MitD is "a good man".
    There is only one female who says that. Most of the others have a expression on their faces. None of the goblins seem to view him either way.

Peelee’s Lotsey

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Finally chiming in here. I miss the guy, hope we see him again soon.

My thoughts (which I'm sure have been asked and answered before, probably several times):
    Actually, refreshingly new thoughts - thanks. Particularly glad not to have the "meaning of the fine line" discussion in the exact same way for the umpteenth time. And I love your take on the Go! board.

Yeah, as Jaxzan said, it's only the one female. It's important in that whatever disgusting thing he is, some people find it beautiful, but I don't think reading too much into the sex of the person is warranted. Small sample size and all that.

2) The fine line. My first thought when I read that long ago now was that there might be some book out there where Rich has a monster (or something) published next to the entry that someone else wrote (which is the MitD), separated by a fine line.
    A little too literal for my tastes, but I can see that being a cryptojoke, I suppose. That said, I had the occasion to check out the infamous "acid shark" book, and I do not recall any lines between entries (each entry had its own page), so unless it was one of the other manuals, I think we are out of luck down this alleyway.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

7. - Top - End - #97
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

After weeks scrounging in the dark corners of the Steam Forums, I think I have found just the right evidence for MitD being a rock! Prepare yourselves for the perfect explanation for MitD's increased strength and durability!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cY67PQFOVE

Are you impressed yet?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Threads made due to my misreading of a rule: 2

One of my favorite hobbies is criticizing popular members and moderators for anything they do wrong. So nothing personal.

I know I promised to stat a lot of things, but my life got busy and, well, my life got busy. I'm not very active on the forum for now, but I will be fulfilling my promises later.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ... View Post
    After weeks scrounging in the dark corners of the Steam Forums, I think I have found just the right evidence for MitD being a rock! Prepare yourselves for the perfect explanation for MitD's increased strength and durability!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cY67PQFOVE

Are you impressed yet?
    While this is an excellent theory, it is quickly disproved because the rock showed no ability to teleport others.

[edit] However, it could explain the circus scene as the rock was horrific and beautiful at the same time; I am very impressed.
    Last edited by Rock270; 2014-08-12 at 11:14 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Rock270 View Post
    While this is an excellent theory, it is quickly disproved because the rock showed no ability to teleport others.

[edit] However, it could explain the circus scene as the rock was horrific and beautiful at the same time; I am very impressed.
    How do you know that the rock was showing its full capabilities?

One of my favorite hobbies is criticizing popular members and moderators for anything they do wrong. So nothing personal.

I know I promised to stat a lot of things, but my life got busy and, well, my life got busy. I'm not very active on the forum for now, but I will be fulfilling my promises later.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ... View Post
    How do you know that the rock was showing its full capabilities?
    You are right, we don't know whether the rock was showing its full power; there just isn't any evidence showing that it can teleport others.
    Fighter avatar by myself.

I refer to head-shots as noob-shots; because every time one happens, someone is called a noob.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

You are right, we don't know whether the rock was showing its full power; there just isn't any evidence showing that it can teleport others.
    Either way, that video was not posted before comic #100, so it, unfortunately, is not the MitD.
    I made my name too long, so just call me "AsteronI."

Spoiler: WW story
    Show
    About to die as wolf.
    Claims mason.
    Gets counter-claimed
    Baner dies by auto-lynch

12. - Top - End - #102
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by AsteronIronhoof View Post
    Either way, that video was not posted before comic #100, so it, unfortunately, is not the MitD.
    Obviously this individual rock is not MitD, due to its time of posting, but it shows traits that both MitD and a rock have in common. Just pick up a rock, throw it, and watch it mow down a small city.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

New to this forum, but I thought I would throw a half-serious suggestion out there:

MitD is a giant snowman.
    Yes, I got that directly from the artwork Rich released, seen here

From the big 5 questions:
    1) How did giant snowman punch Miko and her horse through a wall?
    - appropriate strength

2) Why didn't Miko or Belkar's weapons hurt [insert suggestion here]?
    - slashing weapons would have little effect cutting through snow, it would jsut ooze shut.

3) Why wouldn't a wizard recognize [insert suggestion here]?
    - don't knpw specifically, unless wizard was from some place where building snowmen was unknown (tropical climate?).

4) Why would humans become nauseous at seeing [insert suggestion here]?
    - watching Frosty the Snowman at christmas time each year always makes me queasy.

5) How did [insert suggestion here] teleport V and O-Chul to the beach with Hinjo?
    - its a magical hat that grants wishes.

It does explain why he needs the umbrella- he would melt in the sun. It also explains why he didn't go to the beach- too hot.
    Keeper of the 49 Rules.

Pet Peeve: Yay ≠ Yeah

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    New to this forum, but I thought I would throw a half-serious suggestion out there:

MitD is a giant snowman.
    Yes, I got that directly from the artwork Rich released, seen here

From the big 5 questions:
    1) How did giant snowman punch Miko and her horse through a wall?
    - appropriate strength

2) Why didn't Miko or Belkar's weapons hurt [insert suggestion here]?
    - slashing weapons would have little effect cutting through snow, it would jsut ooze shut.

3) Why wouldn't a wizard recognize [insert suggestion here]?
    - don't knpw specifically, unless wizard was from some place where building snowmen was unknown (tropical climate?).

4) Why would humans become nauseous at seeing [insert suggestion here]?
    - watching Frosty the Snowman at christmas time each year always makes me queasy.

5) How did [insert suggestion here] teleport V and O-Chul to the beach with Hinjo?
    - its a magical hat that grants wishes.

It does explain why he needs the umbrella- he would melt in the sun. It also explains why he didn't go to the beach- too hot.
    Since the MitD lived in a hot sunny climate at one point, I think it is unlikely he is a snowman. An amusing suggestion, though.

Peelee’s Lotsey

15. - Top - End - #105
    Barbarian in the Playground

I don't know about you guys, but I'm hoping the reveal comes soon, however I'm sure it won't happen before more character development. Actually Rich seems to be setting the MiTD for a big double cross against Team Evil.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Bongos View Post
    I don't know about you guys, but I'm hoping the reveal comes soon, however I'm sure it won't happen before more character development. Actually Rich seems to be setting the MiTD for a big double cross against Team Evil.
    Well, at the rate new comics are coming out, it we be a few years before that happens. But if the Giant decides to show what Team Evil is doing before that we may get some new clues about the MitD.
    I made my name too long, so just call me "AsteronI."

Spoiler: WW story
    Show
    About to die as wolf.
    Claims mason.
    Gets counter-claimed
    Baner dies by auto-lynch

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    Since the MitD lived in a hot sunny climate at one point, I think it is unlikely he is a snowman. An amusing suggestion, though.
    I know! But that is why the explorers were so surprised to see it. A snowman, in a jungle. And it talks!
    Keeper of the 49 Rules.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    I know! But that is why the explorers were so surprised to see it. A snowman, in a jungle. And it talks!
    That is a good point. However, I think it crosses the line from "climate it is not usually found in" to "climate wherein it couldn't survive.

One other problem I see is size.

Peelee’s Lotsey

19. - Top - End - #109
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    That is a good point. However, I think it crosses the line from "climate it is not usually found in" to "climate wherein it couldn't survive.

One other problem I see is size.
    Snowmen vary greatly in size and shape.
    Fighter avatar by myself.

I refer to head-shots as noob-shots; because every time one happens, someone is called a noob.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Snowmen vary greatly in size and shape.
    In this case, the size was specified as "giant".

Peelee’s Lotsey

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

God, this thread needs a Team Evil cutaway.
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DaggerPen View Post
    Agreed.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2014-08-14 at 03:54 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DaggerPen View Post
    That's what I'm really wishing for. It's been how long since we last saw them?

Peelee’s Lotsey

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jaxzan proditor View Post
    that's what i'm really wishing for. It's been how long since we last saw them?
    901, 2013-07-17

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2014-08-14 at 04:21 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Whatever he is, I think the "Escape!" moment represented him moving up an age category, or something similar. Granted, we haven't seen much of him since then (we need to get Team Evil back into the strip, it's been like a year now since we've seen them), but look at what we have seen:

The MitD making a "bluff" or some other check to outsmart Xykon and get him to leave the OotS alone.

That's something I can't see MitD pulling off with all we knew about him prior to that. Yes, Rich said he 'dug deep', and found powers he didn't know he had, but isn't that exactly what "growing" and gaining powers would be like for a creature that didn't have peers around to explain what was going to happen to him?

Personally I think he kind of knew he should have that ability before, which is why he kept betting on "escapes and lives happily ever after", and is confused that his 'hoping really hard' didn't make it happen. He just finally grew enough and cared enough for it to work.
    Skipper of the Good Ship O-ChOona (accepting crew applications)
    Launched June 3, 2016. Oona+O-Chul OTP Forever!!!!

"Like a tenacious child we were born, born to be wild ...
    we're gonna climb so high we're never gonna die" - Steppenwolf

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

I like the idea that MitD knew vaguely that he should be able to do something like that, perhaps from something his father did at some point. It being an age category changeover seems sensible to me, but creatures with clear age categories are far and few between.
    Last edited by DaggerPen; 2014-08-15 at 02:31 AM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Barbarian in the Playground

One thing that really puzzles me, is MitD's mass. (Weight, for non-STEM types). In SoD, Redcloak moves MitD's cage (with itself inside it) by himself. While RC's strength is unclear, I thinks it's safe to assume that he is not exceptionally strong. Even with leverage, MitD cannot therefore weigh much more than 140kg (300 lbs). I thought maybe MitD floats (making it effectively weightless), but then why would it describe the Astral plane as weightless?

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Windscion View Post
    One thing that really puzzles me, is MitD's mass. (Weight, for non-STEM types). In SoD, Redcloak moves MitD's cage (with itself inside it) by himself. While RC's strength is unclear, I thinks it's safe to assume that he is not exceptionally strong. Even with leverage, MitD cannot therefore weigh much more than 140kg (300 lbs). I thought maybe MitD floats (making it effectively weightless), but then why would it describe the Astral plane as weightless?
    I did the math some threads back. If the box is made of light wood (like pine) and it is not as reinforced as it looks, MitD can be of humanoid size or even a quite light large creature (500 lb.) and RC could still have pushed it onto the cart. The key is that RC planned the robbery, so he would have had access to strength-boosting spells.

That said, I suspect that Rich did not do the math. He needed MitD's cage on the cart, so RC pushed him onto it - it is as simple as that. If the box is reinforced (which it looks like) and made of something a little more reliable than pine, no amount of boosts would give a non-melee cleric the strength to lift it, never mind anything inside it.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    I did the math some threads back. If the box is made of light wood (like pine) and it is not as reinforced as it looks, MitD can be of humanoid size or even a quite light large creature (500 lb.) and RC could still have pushed it onto the cart. The key is that RC planned the robbery, so he would have had access to strength-boosting spells.

That said, I suspect that Rich did not do the math. He needed MitD's cage on the cart, so RC pushed him onto it - it is as simple as that. If the box is reinforced (which it looks like) and made of something a little more reliable than pine, no amount of boosts would give a non-melee cleric the strength to lift it, never mind anything inside it.

Grey Wolf
    There was a multi-page discussion of wood densities, medieval construction techniques and likely forest growth patterns. We were quite thorough.
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

biggrin Re: MitD VIII: Everything we know about MITD (but were afraid Tarrasque)

If he was made of snow, and got a bit melty, that would lower the friction and make the box easier to slide.
    Keeper of the 49 Rules.